Heinz History Center

Pittsburgh, PA

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Book Your Wedding with Heinz History Center

A BALLROOM IN PITTSBURGH, PA

When it comes to a celebration of marriage, some couples opt for the extraordinary. Located in the heart of Pittsburgh's historic Strip District, the Heinz History Center makes an imaginative and unique venue for a wedding ceremony and/or reception. Exciting, non-traditional spaces accommodate guest lists from 50 to 400.

The

offers a fun and festive atmosphere with an assortment of vintage vehicles including a Pittsburgh trolley. High ceilings, exposed brick walls and massive steel supports add to the character of the space. With cocktail capacity for 400 guests or seating for 200, the Great Hall makes a popular choice for a post-nuptials celebration.

The

showcases high ceilings, exposed ducting, potential for string lights and lots of space for a regal ballroom feel. Located on the fifth floor, guests enjoy sweeping views of the Allegheny River and the city's skyline from the adjoining outdoor deck. This space accommodates up to 1,000 people for cocktail receptions and up to 400 guests for dinner festivities.

The

offers a charming and intimate setting for smaller cocktail parties and dinners. Featuring red brick walls, exposed wooden beams and warm lighting, the space accommodates up to 60 guests for dinner or 100 for cocktails.

The

provides an elegant setting for saying "I do." A working library surrounded by red brick walls and exposed wooden beams offers a ceremony steeped in history.

The

located on the third floor of the building houses between 60 and 200 guests. This flexible space offers a number of decorating possibilities for receptions or cocktail parties.

Couples who really want to "wow" guests can rent the entire six-floor facility for a truly unique celebration.

The events team at the Heinz History Center makes customer service a priority, from the initial tour until the last guest departs. The museum's exclusive caterer, Common Plea Catering, provides a custom-made menu packed with flavor. The award-winning company offers food and drink options to fit any wedding theme and budget. Delicious appetizer choices include rosemary shrimp with lemon aioli and many other delicious bites, and couples can choose from a vast number of dinner options including stations or individual entrees like brown sugar Cajun salmon.

While the museum occasionally hosts more than one event at a time, arrangements are made very carefully to eliminate any overlap. Each group enjoys their own event staff and coordinator.

Parties renting the Great Hall, Campbell Gallery or Library and Archives must rent after 5:00 p.m., but the Mueller Center offers daytime and evening hours. Prohibited items include confetti, glitter, feathers, popcorn, cotton candy and chemical-based smoke machines. Although the museum offers no parking, a number of pay parking lots surround the structure.

Many couples choose the Heinz History Center because they can have their ceremony and their reception on-site. Exchanging vows here comes with an additional fee that covers a rehearsal, a one-hour ceremony and a wedding coordinator. The Heinz History Center offers a number of additional wedding celebration perks:

• Free conference room for the wedding party
  • Five hours of celebration time (and extended time for an additional fee)
  • A dance floor for an additional fee
  • Coat check service for an additional fee or free use of the venue's coat room
  • Room rental discount of 10 percent on Fridays and Sundays
  • Room rental discount of 10 percent in January and February

Unique. Memorable. Always Historical!

Begin your history together here, in a museum designed to honor extraordinary Pittsburghers, in rooms created to hold special memories. Our central location, imaginative, professional staff, competitive rates and Common Plea Catering are just a few of the reasons to consider the Heinz History Cente

Ballroom, Museum, Historic Venue

Food + Catering, Planning

1212 Smallman Street, Pittsburgh, PA (412) 454-6431
WEBSITE INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 5/26/2017 Michaela E

Had a wonderful, one of a kind wedding at the Heinz History Center!! The venue was incredible and loved by all of the out of town guests. Cara was great to work with and executed the evening perfectly. Everything turned out better than I could have imagined. Definitely the... Read More best place to get married in Pittsburgh!

Reviewed on 5/26/2016 Abby H

The staff at The Heinz History Center made our wedding day beyond unbelievable and they made the planning simple- especially because we were planning a Pittsburgh wedding while living in Boston. Our ceremony was offsite, but our cocktail hour and reception were on the 5th Floor... Read More in the Mueller Center. Despite the pouring rain on our wedding day, the room looked amazing and Maura and her staff shifted our cocktail hour into the Mueller Center foyer (since we couldn't use the patio due to the weather) and it worked beautifully. Maura was extremely accessible and was super, super fast at responding to our e-mails throughout the entire planning process. We also worked with Gretchen, another staff member at the History Center, who helped make everything even easier to plan. Common Plea, the catering company, was also a wonderful vendor- with phenomenal food! We worked with Maggie at Common Plea who coordinated everything seamlessly with Maura- making things even easier on us. I would highly recommend The Heinz History Center to anyone thinking about having an event there. My advice is to book early- we booked over a year in advance to nail down the date we needed.

Reviewed on 8/14/2015 Jenny C

We could not have been happier with our wedding reception at the Heinz History Center. My husband and I booked the Mueller Room (Fifth Floor) because of its size, large open space, ton of natural light, and outdoor balcony. However, the icing on the cake was working with Cara... Read More and Maura as well as their team. Cara and Maura were very accommodating leading up to the wedding, answering any e-mails or phone calls, even when they were not on duty. When we dropped everything off the day before the wedding, both Cara and Maura were there and couldn't be more relaxed and excited for us, which, in turn, made us extremely relaxed and assured that all of our plans were in good hands. The wedding day logistics were great; we were blown away at how the HHC team transformed a blank canvas into a reception that was better than anything we had in our heads. We keep hearing from attendees at how beautiful the space was and how smoothly everything was run. We could not have done that without Cara and Maura! My husband and I would highly recommend the History Center for any formal event.

Reviewed on 11/16/2017 Kate M

We had a gorgeous November wedding at The Heinz History Center! The space is so unique and we loved how we could utilize multiple floors/different rooms for our ceremony, cocktail hour and reception space. Maura was a DREAM to work with and her attention to detail and level of... Read More professionalism and kindness was a huge reason why we selected this as our venue. This wedding venue definitely isn't cheap..but worth every penny! Our night was unforgettable.

Reviewed on 10/25/2017 Michelle H

Maura and Cara are a god's send to wedding planning! I had my ceremony and reception at the museum, and planned everything long distance. Cara and Maura took care of every detail making my wedding day completely fun and stress free! I cannot compliment their expertise enough... Read More with everything down to table sizes for the reception! Worth every penny!

Reviewed on 8/29/2017 Erin K

They were absolutely wonderful to work with! Thank you Maura and Heinz History Center staff- you are the best!

Reviewed on 8/07/2017 Leigh M

The Heinz History Center was a unique and unforgettable wedding venue. Cara was a pleasure to work with - being an out of town bride, it was reassuring to have someone so reliable executing our day!

Reviewed on 7/21/2017 Michelle B

We could not have asked for a better venue. Maura and her team took care of everything before and during the wedding. She was available to meet and to answer questions over email. As an out of town bride, she was extremely accommodating. Our guests loved the History Center and... Read More we so did we.

the BEST venue and staff!

Reviewed on 11/10/2015 Jennine W

Our wedding was in October 2015 and we had been planning it for approximately 14 months. From the beginning, the staff at Heinz History was so helpful, kind, and caring - especially Maura and Ashley, our coordinators! The venue is beautiful, but to be honest, the staff is one of... Read More the primary reasons we chose the place. The planning process was so smooth, everyone was always available and easy to reach, and the day turned out perfect. From the floor plan, to the table set up, to working with our other vendors...everything was just as we had hoped. Maura made us feel so special and at ease the day of our wedding, she took care of everything and then some, going out of her way above and beyond. I HIGHLY recommend this venue to any bride or groom - we are so happy with our decision and wish we could do it all over again!

Reviewed on 9/28/2015 Susan B

We loved the History Center for our reception! It was amazing. We got to work with Cara for our wedding and she was the best! Patient, kind, helpful...all you need in a wedding coordinator. She made me feel reassured and the day went smoothly because of her! We had our reception... Read More on the 5th floor and it was perfect! We had the balcony and all of the vendors we picked for the wedding made the room perfect! Thanks to Cara and her team at the Heinz History Center!

Highly Recommended

Reviewed on 1/17/2015 Christie S

Cara and her team made us feel extremely comfortable during the whole planning of our wedding. She made everything so easy for us. We absolutely loved our wedding there and would highly recommend them!

Dream Venue for a Classy & Unique Pittsburgh Wedding

Reviewed on 8/25/2014 Randi M

We could not have been happier with the Heinz History Center as our wedding venue!! Because we wanted the true Pittsburgh feel for our many out-of-town guests when selecting a venue for both our ceremony and reception, the Heinz History Center was a perfect fit! We utilized... Read More much of the space in the venue for our event with the ceremony and cocktail both on the first floor (our guests thought it was such a unique space and you can transform it to meet your ceremony needs) and our wedding in the Mueller Center. We also took pictures in the sports museum with all of the Pittsburgh fans waving their terrible towels;-) Because the Mueller center is a blank slate (with a beautiful Pittsburgh view), we were able to transform the space into the wedding of our dreams! The preferred Caterer, Common Plea, was amazing!! They were wonderful to work with (a true partnership) and we continue to hear feedback about how great the food was. Both Martin & Denise are fantastic!! Cara was excellent to work with! She was extremely responsive and committed to making our wedding exactly what we wanted. I appreciate working with her and would highly recommend partnering with her early on (and getting a commitment that she would be the person you work with and will be available the evening of your event). We couldn't be happier that we chose HHC for our wedding! Having such a unique venue, great location, hotel directly across the street, and excellent food created a beautiful evening that we AND our guests will never forget!

Awesome venue for wedding reception

Reviewed on 5/30/2013 Cassandra E

The History Center was our first and only choice. The staff at both the History Center and Common Plea were amazing. They were incredibly helpful, patient, and thorough when answering my many questions throughout the process. Our wedding reception was perfect, and – best of... Read More all – they are so organized that we had nothing to worry about all night (except having fun)! All our guests enjoyed the unique venue as well!!

Heinz History Center was amazing...

Reviewed on 2/24/2013 Melinda W

My experience at the Heinz History Center for my reception was truly amazing. The event staff were always very helpful and dedicated to my event and always available to answer any questions. I planned the wedding from out of town and the even staff at the History Center was... Read More very accommodating to meet with, even coming in on weekends and early mornings to make time for us. They made the reception run so smoothly and I had nothing to worry about the entire night.

Gorgeous venue but difficult on the day

Reviewed on 10/19/2012 Taylor C

We fell in love with the Heinz History Center as a venue for our wedding right away and the price didn't seem so bad because we were supporting the museum as well as getting a really unique space. We used the Great Hall for both our ceremony and reception and the 4th floor... Read More gallery for cocktail hour. All of our meetings leading up to the day were great and we felt really comfortable. The required caterer, Common Plea, however, is ridiculously overpriced and difficult to deal with. We chose to take an exemption and go with an outside vendor because we wanted a fully vegetarian menu. This proved to be much more of a problem than we were lead to believe. The ceremony and reception were set up beautifully (though the lights pointing at the altar were sun-bright and extremely hot) and our guests were treated very well. At the end of the night, however, the event planner at Heinz pretty much flipped out on my parents about a problem with the caterer and my dad ended up cleaning up most of the hall by himself once everyone had left. It's too bad because the History Center itself is lovely and the event crew chief, Eric Picard, was so nice, but I would caution anyone who was considering this venue. Especially if you're thinking of doing something different than what they're used to. B-

Great reception venue!

Reviewed on 6/26/2012 Adrienne I

The Heinz History Center was our first choice for reception venue, and we never regretted it. Maura (the events director) was on top of everything and we didn't have to worry about a single detail. Highly recommended!

Beautiful

Reviewed on 9/11/2011 Molly A

This was a gorgeous venue! Mara, the event planner at the site, was incredibly helpful. I'd highly recommend it

Awesome!!!

Reviewed on 8/24/2011 stacey s

The coordinator Lori was great to work with, they followed ALL of my instructions to the T. Everything was set up just the way I wanted it.It was beautiful!My guests loved the unique location, touring the museum before cocktail hour began was something that everyone loved.

Most Amazing

Reviewed on 7/23/2011 Erica S

The History Center could not be any better. I loved it soo much and Maura the coordinate did everything I asked and way more. Everything was easy and all I had to do was drop my items off the day before and they put it all together for me! I would recommend the history center to... Read More anyone!

Wonderful Venue

Reviewed on 10/05/2010 Hope S

We had a wonderful time at the 5th floor Muller Center. All of our guests loved the setup & the balcony.