Book Your Wedding with Historic Shady Lane

A BARN IN MANCHESTER, PA

Historic Shady Lane is a beautiful wedding and event venue located on 34 acres in Manchester, Pennsylvania. Couples who are history and nostalgia buffs love this property, which first started out its business as a distillery in 1790. There are too many outdoor ceremony sites to list here, but the following are some of the venues available for your exclusive use when you rent this facility:

The Bandstand. This is a rustic arbor with massive columns that looks like an ancient European relic site, but it's actually a 1905 bandstand that held orchestras and bands. It's a wonderful ceremony backdrop or wedding photo setting.

Rose Garden Ceremony Area. You'll have a gorgeous and fragrant ceremony site among the planted roses that surround this site behind the Main House. Fountains, stone outcroppings and a babbling brook give this area an uncommonly peaceful feeling.

Main House. The front steps of the Main House are a great ceremony setting with the stately stone Main House as your backdrop.

Reception Tent. Included with your venue rental is a 40-by-100-foot white frame tent with Italian lighting, chandeliers, custom uplighting, fabric-draped ceiling and cathedral sides. It's set up on a patina surface over a tennis court. A companion catering tent is also provided.

Glass Greenhouse. The distressed walls and massive vintage glass windows and frames make this a stunning area for a cocktail hour between your ceremony and banquet.

Your rental agreement with Historic Shady Lane depends on the package you select. One package allows you to have access from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday. Another package gives you access from noon until the closing times listed above.

Amplified music is allowed, but it must end by 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and by 9 p.m. on Sunday evenings. No bands with amplified drums, bass or horn sections are allowed at this time.

Your ceremony is included in your rental fees and you may have it wherever you like on the property. Fans and heaters are included for use in your outdoor venues as needed.

Tables and chairs for up to 225 guests are included. You or your wedding coordinator have to source your own catering crew, florist and other wedding professionals, but the staff at Historic Shady Lane helps you with referrals.

A fully furnished cottage is the ideal soothing and primping spot for the bride and her attendants. With a salon suite, kitchen, party area and photogenic vintage decor, this is a memorable and delightful place for the bride to prepare for her big reveal. A denis also made available for the groom and his guys; it has a kitchen, patio, bathroom and game table for some stress relief as the men get their tuxes ready. The den is far enough away from the Cottage that the bride and groom can both have separate photo sessions and never run into each other.

Historic Shady Lane likes to give couples special perks and a high level of professional service to make their special day shine. A vintage decorating starter pack is included with your wedding with items like farm tables, rustic wooden bar and taps, mismatched wooden chairs and chandeliers to place where they have the most impact.

Other extras include:

• Only one wedding per day on the venue
  • Golf cart shuttle available for guests
  • Complimentary pre-event, three-hour engagement shoot
  • On-site parking and attendants
  • Venue manager on site for your event

Where Rustic Meets Elegance

At Historic Shady Lane, we believe every couple deserves the chance to have their dream wedding in a beautiful setting. Over the past six years, we've watched over 175 couples say "I do" on the 34-acre property, contributing to the rich history of this 1770 estate. With gorgeous views and gardens, a magical glass and stone greenhouse, and a white frame tent complete with draping, chandeliers and uplights, Historic Shady Lane is a wedding venue made for creating memories. We believe in outstanding customer service and are proud to be a five-time award winning venue located conveniently in Central Pennsylvania. Our family prides itself on welcoming all couples, their guests, and their families onto the estate to enjoy celebrating in the love of two people. Our wedding venue offers a wide

• Outdoor - Covered

Farm + Ranch, Garden, Estate, Historic Venue, Tented

475 Shady Lane, Manchester, PA (717) 916-0818
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 5/27/2017 Amanda N

Words can not express how wonderful this venue is! It did not take a lot for us to fall in love with the venue; it is breathtaking. There are so many spots to hold your ceremony; all equally beautiful. Even if you're on a budget and can't provide a lot of decorations and extras,... Read More it doesn't even matter because Historic Shady Lane is just as stunning without decorations as it is with. The venue pretty much sells itself, but working with Lauren and Steve was such a pleasure. So easy to work with. They were very flexible and accommodating with our vendors, and very attentive to us and out guests! They go above and beyond what is expected of them to make sure you are happy. We could not have asked for a better venue and people to work with. If we went back and redid it, we would 100% still book Historic Shady Lane!

2017-05-30T07:18:37 Response from the vendor

Thank you SO much for your kind review! We are thrilled you had such a great time on your wedding day; it was so beautiful. Thank you for allowing us to host your wedding. Please stop back and visit! :) Congratulations!

Reviewed on 9/25/2017

My daughter had the wedding of her dreams thanks to Historic Shady Lane. The venue is absolutely gorgeous for an outdoor wedding and has a fancy white tent with hanging chandeliers for the reception! The staff is very supportive throughout the planning and during the event.... Read More The golf carts are a great addition to assist guests in getting around the estate. To top everything off, there is a gorgeous bridal cottage with a full kitchen, bathrooms, and a room set up with beauty salon chairs and mirrors for the bridal party to get ready. It is accessorized beautifully to provide spots to get the perfect photos. Lastly, let's not forget the Groom's Den also equipped with a kitchen bathrooms and lounge area to sit back and relax. Historic Shady Lane is the perfect wedding venue.

2017-09-25T09:50:58 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind review! We appreciate it so much! :)

Best Day of My Life

Reviewed on 6/20/2014 Nate A

I would not have changed ONE THING about the venue that I got married at. Historic Shady Lane was beyond perfect! The way they treated us was so comforting and helpful and supportive. From the morning on they provided us with everything that we needed and was around if we needed... Read More more help. The area is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! My photographer LOVED taking pictures because we were in the perfect location!! We had planned on having my ceremony outside…however, it rained. Even in that chaos and stress the staff at Historic Shady Lane went ABOVE AND BEYOND to make my day perfect. and they did. They made sure my guests knew where to go and made sure there was a place for them to wait out of the rain. They made the reception tent look even more beautiful so that the ceremony could be inside. They honestly took all the stress away from me and my family and made my wedding day the best day of my life. If I would do it all again, I would choose Historic Shady Lane again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed on 8/23/2017 Nikki C

STOP CLICKING. STOP PINTERESTING. STOP INSTAGRAMMING. STOP GOOGLING. STOP ASKING AROUND. AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE, PUT DOWN THE WEDDING MAGAZINES! This is it. This is the place you want to get married, and I'm going to tell you why. Lauren is the property manager. She's laid... Read More back, flexible, and probably one of the most down to earth and amazing people I've ever met. And you're going to decide she's your new best friend because she's just awesome. Also, she rocks Shady Lane. Anything you want? Ask her. Don't know what you want? Ask her. Know what you want, but starting to look for vendors? Ask her. SHE KNOWS THINGS. Also, the venue. It's perfect. For everything. EVERYTHING. Don't waste loads of cash on decorations. Click through these photos! Don't stoop to crappy food for a venue you think you like -- you can have ANY food brought to Shady Lane. This is basically a playground for your dreams, and Lauren's the fairy godawesomefriend. The grounds are expansive and gorgeous. There's something that's just straight-up magical about this place. It's manly man cave is perfect for the bros, and the quaint cottage is perfect for you and your babes. Forgot champagne glasses? No problemo, just crack one of the cabinets! They're stocked with everything you'll need for your big day! Something else nobody talks about? They also have extra furniture that you can tack on as day-of rentals. No joke. Gorgeous pieces. Ask Lauren! If you want the typical reviews, check out other posts here. If you have questions or want a more candid review of particulars, hit me up! Happy to let you know how amazing this venue is from the top of the Hagrid's-Hut-Looking-Structure to the bottom of the little pond by the bandstand. Trust me. You want this.

Reviewed on 7/25/2017 Hillary M

Historic Shady Lane is THE BEST venue in the area. The estate is absolutely stunning! It truly has historic character and classic sincere elegance. It is everything you could EVER want in a wedding venue. There are multiple places to set up your wedding ceremony on the grounds,... Read More & you are given the option to choose where you would like to have your ceremony and cocktail hour set up. The greenhouse is absolutely gorgeous and so romantic!!! It is equipped with gorgeous chandeliers and elegant drapes! Around the greenhouse are barista lights which also help create that romantic setting. The tented reception area has gorgeous white drapes that cover the entire ceiling and several full chandeliers. The space is perfect for your reception regardless of how many people you are inviting. There are ENDLESS places on the estate to take your pictures! There are gorgeous stone structures, gardens, and rustic wooden backdrops that are perfect for photos. It is the perfect place for engagement pictures and wedding photos, there is not a bad spot on the estate to take pictures. On your wedding day, the bride and bridesmaids are given a FULL cottage/house to get ready which includes a full salon, full kitchen, dining area, living room, & several bathrooms and bedrooms. It is huge and a perfect place to spend your day getting ready with friends and family! The best part about this is that on a different side of the estate, the groom and his groomsmen actually have a place to get ready too!! They have a large den with a full bathroom and living room! Most wedding venues have a closet or a small space for the boys to get ready, but at Historic Shady Lane their groomsmen is huge! Regarding the staff and wedding planning process-- I seriously cannot explain how outstanding they are! The entire year that I planned my wedding the coordinator (Lauren Stine) was there helping me along the way!! She will go ABOVE and BEYOND to make you feel like your wedding is the only one they were preparing for! She truly understood my vision for my wedding and provided me with guidance to achieve that. The day of my wedding the entire staff was there ALL day to help make my day go so perfectly!!! They were so inviting and excited to make your day so special! Here are a couple other things I love about Historic Shady Lane: - you can choose ANY caterer you want - you can choose ANY vendors you want - your wedding is the only wedding on the property the day of your wedding - you can use the entire grounds on your wedding day starting at 9:00am - the staff drives golf carts to take you to different parts of the venue on the day of your wedding - you can go to the venue throughout your planning process to decide how you want things to be laid out on the day - you get access to an online platform which allows you to set up your layout - you can start your wedding at a time that suits you and your fiancé I know it is hard and a big decision to select a wedding venue but I can honestly say Historic Shady Lane is the best venue in the area! It is so classy and well worth the cost. I hope my review helped you to see how wonderful the venue is!

Reviewed on 7/17/2017 Jennifer W

It's hard to describe what a magical and beautiful venue Historic Shady Lane truly is. When we first visited, my husband and I turned to one another and knew it was the one. The grounds are breathtakingly beautiful and full of character and charm. There is so much greenery and... Read More natural beauty that you feel like you are in your own private retreat. I couldn't imagine being married anywhere else. Our wedding was beautiful because we chose Shady Lane and the amazing team and vendors that came with it. The site itself is a photographer's dream and our photos are a reflection of that. The house is a stunning backdrop for the ceremony and the cottage and den are idyllic for getting done before the wedding. There is so much attention to detail and vintage charm across the landscape as well as in the greenhouse and under the tent. The greenhouse was one of the most beautiful backdrops for our wedding photos. But I also can't say enough amazing things about Lauren who does such an incredible job at running HSL. Her phenomenal Behind the Bash expo helped us select an incredible vendor team and she was so responsive at every step of the way to our questions and always gave amazing advice. It takes more than a beautiful setting alone to create a memorable wedding atmosphere and Lauren is the key ingredient. I really wish I could get married more often so I had an excuse to go back there. All of our guests came from at least a few hours away and many asked why we chose to get married in central PA when we didn't live nearby. We told them it was because we found such an amazing spot to get married in and we knew it would be the (local) destination wedding we hoped for. As soon as I walked into the cocktail hour of my wedding, one of the guests came up to me and said, "WORTH IT!! I didn't know where you were taking us or why it was so far, but as soon as we arrived I understood. THIS is the place for an outdoor wedding". I couldn't agree more!

2017-07-17T20:09:09 Response from the vendor

Thank you SO MUCH for your kind review! You are more than welcome to visit whenever you'll be in the area :) Stop back for family or anniversary photos! Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed on 6/24/2017 Sheila R

This venue was absolutely beautiful and perfect for our small wedding. One of the things we were looking for was a nice backup location for our ceremony in case of inclement weather. The greenhouse at Historic Shady Lane was just what we wanted. As it turned out, the weather... Read More cooperated and we were able to have the ceremony outdoors amidst the shade of trees and the beautiful greenery of the gardens. The staff was excellent to work with and the variety of scenery made this a great place for us and our guests to hang out (the bridal cottage and den are great perks, too).

2017-06-25T20:46:01 Response from the vendor

We appreciate your review so much! Thank you for choosing Historic Shady Lane. We hope to see photos of the wedding soon! Sending you well wishes for a bright and happy future!

Reviewed on 6/24/2017 Katlin C

What a wonderful, peaceful, and beautiful place to have a wedding! I am endlessly grateful to have found Historic Shady Lane! The venue made for a enjoyable time for our guest and the photos....oh the photos! They turned our to be everything I imagined! Lauren is also such a... Read More pleasure to work with! Her knowledge is endless and is so helpful! You will be so thankful to have chosen Historic Shady Lane as your wedding venue trust me!!

2017-06-25T20:41:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate it greatly; we are so happy you had an amazing wedding at the estate. Please come back and visit sometime! Sending you well wishes.

Reviewed on 6/19/2017 Nicolette B

The green house is what ultimately sold us on Historic Shady Lane. We wanted something whimsical, and that's exactly what we got. My husband and I went for the intimate wedding package because of our small guest list. Lauren is super, and she worked with us a lot on a floor plan... Read More that wouldn't make the tent look too empty (and answering all my neurotic questions). Then, we had enough people RSVP with regrets that our small wedding became tiny. As a result, we decided to move the whole thing into the green house, and I'm so glad we did because it's really just so adorable. It looked beautiful with all the little string lights, and it was well-shaded by the trees in the afternoon. Our ceremony was at the bandstand, which I definitely recommend if your wedding is small enough. It's a beautiful but underused little space! All in all, it was a great day, and we got so many compliments on how cute the wedding was. It was 95 degrees, and I SO appreciate the help from the staff in transporting us around on the golf carts. You have so much land at your disposal with this venue, and the golf carts make it much more manageable, especially in crappy weather. Everything looked so lovely, and we got so many great photos at all the little sites around the estate. Also, they've recently finished renovating the garden house (attached to the green house) into a cute space, and that's where we had our buffet. It worked out perfectly!

2017-06-19T20:31:42 Response from the vendor

We are SO thrilled you had such an amazing time on your wedding day -- they way you decorated the greenhouse was so perfect! We hope your guests had an amazing time. Please feel free to visit sometime! We'd love to see you again :)

Reviewed on 5/22/2017 Lindsay G

So excited for our wedding at HSL next July!!! Beautiful flowers and lush greenery on every inch of the property! Unlimited photo-ops!!

Reviewed on 2/01/2017 Andrea L

Historic Shady Lane is the best outdoor venue in PA. The grounds offer so many amazing photo ops that it is almost hard to pick your favorite. Lauren and Steve we so easy to work with. They helped to accommodate every request we had and were very flexible. I have recommended... Read More this venue to several of our friends as well. We received so many compliments from our guests about how beautiful the venue was. We were lucky to have gotten married in the fall so the trees were amazing.

2017-02-02T10:42:25 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the review! It was so great to work with you. Congratulations! :)

Reviewed on 11/08/2016 Lena J

Historic Shady Lane was the most amazing venue.... absolutely breathtaking!! Steve and Lauren were wonderful to work with.... couldn't have asked for a better venue to celebrate our wedding day!!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Kelly V

Lauren was very easy to work with. She did a great job of making our day beautiful. We loved the location and its natural beauty. Very happy with how our wedding day went!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Rachel S

Hands down the best outdoor wedding venue PA has to offer. When my husband and I first got engaged we looked at several venues, but nothing compared to Historic Shady lane in its value, service, and location. We got married this past Saturday and we are still on cloud nine!... Read More You CANNOT take a bad photo at HSL--you are surrounded by pure beauty...the trees, the historic buildings, the glass greenhouse, and the lovely tent covered in white tulle and chandeliers. If I could give more than 5-stars, I would!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Emily R

Beautiful all around. So many choices for good pictures, we could be there all day! It had everything we needed, including a back-up location on site in case it rained. We also love that we were able to include our dogs in our wedding. My husband and I are both veterinarians so... Read More our dogs were a necessity. We're so thankful HSL is pet-friendly!

2016-10-30T21:59:49 Response from the vendor

We are so glad you had an amazing wedding day and that the pups were able to attend! Congratulations! <3

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Jessica S

Historic Shady Lane was amazing. The estate is not only beautiful, but Lauren and Steve were also extremely helpful. Lauren quickly responded to any and all questions we had and when we were looking to visit the property after we hadn't been there for a couple years since... Read More booking, she set up an appointment right away. Our wedding last weekend was everything we imagined and more. We received so many compliments. It was one of the best days we could have asked for.

2016-10-24T11:51:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your review! <3

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Sarah C

I cannot recommend this venue enough! If I could give it 100 stars, I would! We looked at many places and as soon as we saw this one, we booked it that day. Steve and Lauren are wonderful to work with and do everything they can to make your wedding day perfect. All of our guests... Read More commented on how beautiful it is and loved the variety of scenery. The bridal cottage and the men's den allowed us to spend our whole day getting ready there instead of rushing around. Our wedding day was absolutey perfect and we cannot thank Historic Shady Lane enough for everything!

2016-10-24T11:51:58 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your review! <3 Sending you two lots of love!

Reviewed on 9/07/2016 Loganne S

This place is beautiful and we fell in love with it right away. Steve and Lauren were very helpful in giving suggested vendors, options for the ceremony and reception, and flexible payment options. There was just a slight mishap when the guys den flooded due to the air... Read More conditioning and also the air conditioning for the tent (reception) was not available for the day of the wedding when it was extremely hot outside. Otherwise, the golf cart rides were helpful, the parking situation was great, and the location was very clean and amazing - also had very nice bathrooms for an outside wedding.

Reviewed on 7/07/2016 Jamie H

Lauren and Steve at Historic Shady Lane made our wedding process so easy and flawless. Lauren was in constant communication with me throughout the months leading up to the wedding and answered every little question with ease. She made me feel so relaxed about the entire thing!... Read More The venue is absolutely stunning!! Everything about it screamed with beauty. Our guests were floored by the ceremony space, green house and reception tent area. My husband and I's experience was completed by the relaxing locations to get ready for the day. He enjoyed the den with his guys. They were able to all get ready together and greet guests as they arrived. The girls and I enjoyed the bridal cottage where we leisurely enjoyed the breakfast we brought, had a hair dresser come to us to make us beautiful, and enjoy each others company. There was plenty of space in the cottage for our family to pop in and say hello! Overall, this place is amazing! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day!!!

2016-10-30T22:00:44 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for such an amazing review. We're so happy everything went well and that we were able to play a small part in your wedding day. <3

Reviewed on 6/30/2016 Heather F

I truly can't say enough to praise Historic Shady Lane and their crew. The moment my husband and I saw the venue, we knew it was for us. From there, we were walked through every step of the way by Lauren who was an absolute pleasure to work with. She has the patience of a saint... Read More dealing with my dozens of silly questions and was always prompt in her responses. They were so accommodating with planning our rehearsal in the pouring rain and ensuring that everything was set up perfectly for our wedding day. The bridal cottage was BEYOND perfect for getting ready, the salon really sold it for me. I wish I could give HSL more than 5 stars. They deserve every ounce of praise they receive and more.

2016-10-30T22:01:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you so so so much! We're so glad you had an amazing time out at the venue. It was such a pleasure to work with you!

Reviewed on 6/22/2016 Addy S

If I could give a million stars I would!!! I am absolutely obsessed with Historic Shady Lane! I am so happy that We found this site for our wedding this past May! Lauren is out of this world amazing and goes out of her way to help you with everything throughout this process even... Read More down to the easiest things the day of!! I always heard horror stories of couples weddings and things going wrong, not here! Everything is set up for your day when you go on your final walk through DAYS before your wedding date! They coordinate everything with your vendors so that everything runs smoothly which was more than a coordinator could do! Historic Shady Lane was definitely our hidden gem, everyone was in awh of the beauty it held! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED :)

2016-06-22T21:25:30 Response from the vendor

Thank you SO much for your kind review! It means the world to us to know your wedding day went so well and that we were able to play a part in it. Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness <3

Reviewed on 6/15/2016 Heather S

We absolutely loved this venue! Not only is it gorgeous but Lauren and Steve are so wonderful and friendly to work with throughout the whole process! All of our guests loved the venue and could not stop talking about it after the wedding! I cannot say enough great things about... Read More this venue and about Lauren and Steve! Thank you for making our day extra special! We would recommend them to everybody!

2016-06-22T21:26:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind review! We loved working with you and are so happy you were able to have an amazing wedding day. Best wishes for a beautiful future together! <3

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Courtney R

I wish there was an option to give MORE stars! Where to start? First and foremost, Lauren, the on-site coordinator, was hands down the easiest and best vendor contact to work with throughout our entire wedding planning process. She was quick to respond, thorough, and SO helpful... Read More at all times. No question was ever a dumb question! Second, my goodness, the property!!! The second we stepped foot on the property we knew it was our dream venue! From the beautiful landscape to the homes on the property to the greenhouse... you just can't go wrong with having a wedding here! And last but not least, just the overall friendliness that we received from Steve and Lauren through the planning process and the day of our wedding. It was beyond appreciated!

2016-10-30T22:02:27 Response from the vendor

Thank you SO much for the amazing review -- we really appreciate it. Hope you are doing well!

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Courtney E

The owner and staff at The Historic Shady Lane were excellent to myself, now husband, and family. Quickly responds to all emails and phone calls. They also have unique antique items to rent in addition to the drop dead gorgeous property. There are tons of photo opportunities for... Read More your photographer and guests! Thank you to The Historic Shady Lane for making my day great! Btw golf cart ride to my wedding ceremony was super fun! Haha

Reviewed on 10/11/2015 Paulette K

The moment Dave and I went to visit Historic Shady Lane, we were in love. We knew it was where we were going to have our wedding! From the beginning, Lauren was there to help! Lauren and Steve were the best to work with and the upgrades that they continue to add only shows how... Read More much they care about the property. I could not have imagined a more perfect place or better people to work with to make my wedding day the best it could be! Mother nature was not being the friendliest but Lauren and Steve were very flexible and accommodating. The stress was just lifted off of me and we had our outdoor ceremony right before the rain came. The guests were in awe of the greenhouse and magical feeling you get when you're inside. I love all of the lights and chandeliers. My favorite part was being able to relax in the bridal cottage and have the salon come to me instead of driving all over to get ready. Every possible picture taken at Historic Shady Lane will be beautiful because the venue is full of lush landscaping, vintage decor and plenty of places to capture the many moments throughout the day. I could not be happier with how my wedding day was and there's no doubt in my mind that Dave and I had chosen the right place! Historic Shady Lane is incomparable and will truly make your wedding memorable! Thanks so much, Lauren and Steve!!

Meet The Manager

Lauren Stine

Hi there! I'm Lauren, the Director of Historic Shady Lane. From the time a couple inquires through their tour, planning process, and the day of their wedding, I'm their contact person at the estate! At Historic Shady Lane, we believe in providing top service, which means you aren't passed off to numerous staff members. I enjoy working with couples on creating a vision for their day out here at the estate. I look forward to meeting you when you come for a tour of Historic Shady Lane!