Hotel Northampton

Northampton, MA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Grand Ballroom is an elegant wedding reception venue that covers over 2,400 square feet and holds up to 300 guests. The spacious room features arched windows, high ceilings, luxurious chandeliers and opulent trimmings.

The Junior Ballroom works well for smaller, more intimate events including an on-site wedding or a small reception. It spans over 1,600 square feet and provides enough seating for up to 80 guests. This beautiful room features large windows with elegant draperies, wall-to-wall carpeting and chic light fixtures.

Several wedding packages are offered at the Hotel Northampton. A Graceful Entrance includes a cocktail hour with cash bar and fruit and cheese display, a champagne toast and four-course sit-down dinner. Dinner consists of an appetizer, salad, fresh rolls with whipped butter, three entree choices, a starch, seasonal vegetable, tea and coffee. It also comes with a customized wedding cake with a chocolate-covered strawberry for each guest. Additional items included in this package are floor-length table linens and floral centerpieces.

An Elegant Conversation includes the Graceful Entrance package plus five butler-passed hors d'oeuvres and a one-hour open bar. An Enchanted Evening includes both previous packages as well as a Viennese sweet table, wine with dinner and four extra hours of open bar. Upgrade to An Imperial Affair to add limousine service, upgraded table overlays, chair covers and sashes, a premium open bar and an international coffee bar with a variety of liquors staffed by catering personnel.

Couples also have the option of choosing a food station reception package instead of a sit-down dinner. This comes with many of the same items as the Graceful Entrance package, but instead of the four-course dinner, it includes a fresh salad station and choice of three food stations. Examples include a pasta station, carving station and potato station. A Viennese sweet table is also included. The bride and groom can add extras to any of the above packages, like a signature sundae bar or stationary hors d'oeuvres displays.

In order to reserve the Grand Ballroom, weddings must consist of a minimum of 135 guests on Saturday evenings. A minimum of 50 guests is required for the Junior Ballroom packages. Vendor and children's meals are offered at a discounted rate.

A wedding planner is assigned to work with each couple to plan all the important details of their special day. The planner meets with the bride and groom six months prior to the event and in the weeks before the wedding festivities. Rehearsal times are sometimes available. Couples must speak with their wedding planner to arrange them. Post-wedding brunches and rehearsal dinners can also be added for weddings. A minimum of 20 guests is required for both events and both meals are arranged through the event planning staff.

• Bridal party hospitality suite provided with champagne, fruit and cheese
  • Discounted rooms for guests
  • Free overnight stay with champagne for bride and groom
  • Valet parking

Historic Hotel in the Heart Northampton, MA

Let our experience (more than eighty years!) ensure the success of your wedding day. It is our commitment to deliver the wedding you’ve always dreamed of: an elegant atmosphere in our opulent Grand Ballroom, superbly prepared food and uncompromising personal service with attention to every detail.

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Hotel

Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

36 King Street, Northampton, MA (413) 587-8106

Reviewed on 4/13/2016 Jessica G

I am so truly grateful that I had the opportunity to tour and eventually hold my wedding ceremony and reception at The Hotel Northampton. The hotel has beautiful, historic charm and it is already so perfectly decorated that it provides a perfect backdrop for your ceremony,... Read More reception, wedding photos and more. Kelly the wedding coordinator at Hotel Northampton is a gift to all she works with and makes every piece of the planning process a breeze. Kelly and the team at Hotel Northampton are dedicated to providing the highest quality service and attention for your special day and all the days leading up to it. Included in our package was a stunning bridal suite where many of my bridal shots were taken and a safe haven where my new husband and I retreated to after our we hung up our dancing shoes! All of our guests complimented us on the beauty of the venue, the incredible food, and the helpfulness and sincerity of all Hotel Northampton staff. My husband and I wish we could relive our wedding day again and again because the Hotel Northampton gave us a dream wedding we will always remember and cherish. If you're lucky enough to hold your wedding at Hotel Northampton, you will not be disappointed. Thank you again to the Hotel Northampton, Kelly and all those who contributed to our day for helping us begin our new life together on such a beautiful note. You simply won't find a more beautiful venue or a more dedicated planning team so please be sure to choose the Hotel Northampton! :)

Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 7/08/2015 Shaunna H

The staff and wedding coordinator at the hotel northampton were wonderful to work with. The venue was beautiful and the food was excellent. My husband and I recieved so many compliments on our wedding. Is was everything I had dreamed it would be and more. Would definitely... Read More recommend the hotel northampton to any bride!

Reviewed on 11/13/2016 Kate C

While our wedding was not held at Hotel Northampton, our wedding party and immediate families stayed at the Hotel. We also hosted our after-party at the Wiggins Tavern. Overall, the experience drove home the elegance and quality of the Hotel Northampton. I would highly recommend... Read More it to any one, especially couples seeking a more classic venue.

Reviewed on 11/08/2016 Shannon J

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Hotel Northampton June2016. Ruby Meng was our wedding planning and we couldn’t have been happier with her. She was so nice and easy to talk to during the planning process all the way leading up to the day where she was on top of... Read More every detail and there for us if we needed anything. The Hotel Northampton staff was wonderful over all from the tasting, which made it hard to decide on our menu because everything was delicious, Ruby made coordinating times and communicating with our vendors stress free and the reception itself was beautiful. The venue is classic and timeless and we couldn’t have been happier with our choice to hold out wedding reception at the Hotel Northampton.

Reviewed on 10/03/2016

Our wedding was on September 25, 2016. It was picture perfect and could not have been better. We absolutely loved working with Ruby, adored the historic venue, perfect food and atmosphere, and recommend it to all.

Reviewed on 6/28/2016 Allison C

The Hotel Northampton worked really hard to make sure our wedding was everything we wanted it to be! We had our cocktail hour and reception here, and both events were amazing (I wasn't actually at the cocktail hour, but heard great things from our guests). I am a perfectionist,... Read More and Kelly and Ruby worked closely with me (and graciously accepted my ridiculously long checklists) in order to make sure everything ran smoothly and was set up exactly how I wanted. Everything came together absolutely beautifully. The food was amazing - when we started planning our wedding I was really worried about this, since cooking for a huge crowd can be a challenge, but their chef and kitchen team did an amazing job. The waitstaff was friendly and professional, and our server made sure we were taken care of all evening long. The bartenders were a lot of fun - I spent some time chatting with one of them, and he was great - very friendly and funny. The manager who was helping us at our send-off breakfast was also wonderful. We've had non-stop compliments from our friends and family about how much they enjoyed the wedding, how wonderful the food was, and how much they loved the Hotel. The Hotel itself is beautiful and very elegant. The ballroom is such a lovely room, and didn't need any decoration to look perfect. The Atrium is such a special space that the Hotel has - it's absolutely beautiful with all the plants, and it makes for a nice escape for people who need to step away from the music and the party for a few minutes. Plus, Northampton is a great town with a lot of fun restaurants and activities, for guests who want to make a weekend of the wedding. I'm so glad that we chose the Hotel Northampton for our venue, everything was perfect, we had an amazing time, and we have so many happy memories that we will treasure forever.

Reviewed on 5/04/2016

Absolutely amazing! Every detail was just as I had envisioned. Kelly and Ruby made sure we did not have care in the world that day. Beautiful, timeless, and expertly organized. And the food was DELICIOUS! I can't say enough about this venue

Wedding of my dreams

Reviewed on 1/21/2016 Nicole R

We just got married 1/15/16 and it was so beautiful and amazing. We had our ceremony and reception in the Grand Ballroom. Having unlimited help from Ruby and Kelly made planning our wedding next to headache free. They were beyond flexible with our outrageous requests. Everything... Read More from the rehearsal to the last second of our wedding was almost flawless. They allowed us to have a candy bar, a hot chocolate bar, a coffee bar. They set everything thing up better than we imagined. The bridal suite was perfect. The only thing we wished we had known earlier was that the wedding planners were leaving right after they ate. There were a few hiccups that were expected. One of the tables were missing a chair and it took over 10 minutes to get them a chair since it was only the wait staff we could find. And unfortunately the same guest got skipped for their meal. When they did eventually bring his steak out, it was very very very raw. Also maybe it was our mistake having a just kids table, but the meals there were all messed up. Some people did get the wrong meals. I feel like if maybe the planners had stayed, myself and my husband wouldn't have had to smooth this over during our reception and could have sat down and enjoyed our food. Besides that, I would 100% use this venue again.

Hotel Northampton Wedding

Reviewed on 10/15/2015 Whitney L

I had my wedding at The Hotel Northampton a couple weeks ago and I can't say enough good things about it. The entire staff was extremely friendly and professional. I worked with Ruby and Kelly throughout my wedding process and they were extremely responsive and helpful to my... Read More questions. They also did a great job decorating. I had fall mason jars with tealights and other personal touches throughout the venue and Ruby did such a great job with my vision and how I wanted everything to look. They offer a wide variety of food options to pick from and all of them were delicious. My guests said they thought the food was excellent and were very impressed that it came out hot! A lot of other wedding venues serve the food lukewarm but our food was absolutely perfect! Although it's more expensive than other venues in the area, you really get a lot for your money and it was well worth it for us. I would recommend the Hotel to all engaged couples - you won't be sorry!

The Perfect Wedding

Reviewed on 9/30/2015 Kellie F

We had the most perfect wedding, and I don't use that word lightly! Ruby and Kelly couldn't have been anymore wonderful! They were extremely responsive and professional with any and all concerns my husband and I had! From start to finish Ruby and Kelly helped us with every... Read More single one of our concerns and I never had to wait longer than 12 hrs for a response. I can't speak any higher of these two! The rest of the staff at the Hotel Northampton was extraordinary! We are still receiving compliments and letters from our guests telling us how amazing the food, service, and how smoothly the night went! Everyone worked so well together and really made us feel so important and did everything to make our night more than we ever thought it could be! I couldn't be more serious when I saw our night was honestly perfect. There wasn't one thing that went wrong and I don't know many brides that could say that. I would recommend this venue to anyone who is getting married! I couldn't speak more highly of the Hotel Northampton!

Best Day Ever!

Reviewed on 9/30/2015 Carol L

Our wedding at The Hotel Northampton was amazing! We loved the hotel and the area and when we first met with the wedding coordinator, we were knew we were in good hands which sealed the deal for our venue choice. In the midst of our planning, that person left the hotel and we... Read More began to work with someone new, Kelly, who was amazing to work with as well. She followed up quickly on every detail and made great suggestions when we struggled with our decisions. She was extremely kind, professional and thoughtful. Thank you! The hotel itself is beautiful and our guests were very happy with the accommodations. We had over 50 guests stay overnight and many came in to town the night before and loved that they could walk around town and find many great places to eat, shop and enjoy the culture. The Chamber of Commerce was great and gave us maps of the area to share in our gift bags for our guests staying at the hotel. We had our ceremony at the hotel in the grand ballroom which is beautiful and then the staff quickly "flipped" the room to the reception set up while our guests enjoyed appetizers and drinks during the cocktail hour. The transformation was seamless. We had access to a large hospitality room to get ready and served us beverages and appetizers after the ceremony while we "regrouped". The hotel has an excellent list of vendors that they work with exclusively which made the choices easy and we were very happy with their services. Our day was amazing and went off without a hitch...if there was one, we never knew about it and we didn't hear any complaints! Our guests have told us over and over that they had a great time. Everything was perfect and we would recommend The Hotel Northampton to anyone for their wedding venue! Thank you again to Kelly, Ruby, Hilda, Hilary and the entire staff.

Botta Wedding

Reviewed on 9/16/2015 Michelle W

The Hotel Northampton provided us with excellent support throughout the wedding planning process, always getting back to us quickly and taking our ideas from dreams to reality. Both Kelly and Ruby made our wedding day one that we will never forget. All of our guests raved... Read More about how delicious the food was and how beautiful the room looked. The fact that the Hotel Northampton works so closely with all your vendors and takes care of every detail, makes the wedding planning process so simple. We are so happy we chose the Hotel Northampton, and we would definitely recommend it as a wedding venue!

A perfect wedding

Reviewed on 8/03/2015 Rebecca V

Our wedding at the Hotel Northampton was nothing short of perfect. The staff is incredible. Ruby was our coordinator and did an absolutely phenomenal job. They took care of every little thing. The packages were very reasonable for the amount of service that comes with it. And... Read More the food was fantastic. The entire time all of our guests kept commenting on the great service and how friendly everyone was. My husband and I have always loved Northampton, and our wedding at the Hotel solidifies this even more. It was perfect because we never had to leave the hotel - our reception was in the room downstairs (much prettier than expected considering it's practically in the basement) and our reception in the ballroom above, which is absolutely gorgeous. We did pictures in front of the hotel which has a beautiful 'old New England' feel without feeling old at all. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel staff. We had an issue with the bridal suite on the day of the rehearsal. I, as a bride the day before her wedding, did not handle it with much grace. The hotel was amazing though. They set us up in a separate room while they fixed the issue in the bridal suite, then moved our bags over once the room was ready. I was in the bridal suite that night and thought nothing of it the rest of the weekend. The hotel provides a large conference room to get ready. We had our hair and make up done at the salon but we were able to come back and spread out while we got the last of our things together. We were also able to come back after the ceremony and sample some of the passed hors devours before we took pictures. That was a really nice touch. All in all, I cannot think of one problem we had the day of the wedding. Everything was absolutely perfect and if I had to do it again I would always pick the Hotel Northampton.

Beautiful Venue / Excellant All Around

Reviewed on 4/06/2015

The Hotel Northampton was above and beyond what was promised. Ruby and Kelly paid attention to all the details and did not disappoint! Beautiful setting which lead to awesome pictures. The hotel staff was friendly and truly wanted to make our stay and our daughter's wedding... Read More perfect. Food was awesome and generous portions. Overall a great weekend and great experience.

Couldn't be happier!

Reviewed on 11/19/2014 Kelly P

We recently held our wedding at Hotel Northampton in November of 2014 - and I was incredibly pleased with the results. Brianne (their in house event coordinator) made planning easy and fun, she was unbelievably helpful and extremely knowledgeable about planning weddings, local... Read More venders, etc. We purchased their Imperial Affair package and she took care of so many things (Limo, cake, flowers) that I found planning to be a breeze. On the day of everything went off without a hitch, the bridal suite was well stocked and included our own server. I got nothing but positive reviews from my guests about the cocktail hour, the hors d'oeuvres, the room, and the actual dinner. We had open bar and we found it to be well stocked and the bartenders were fast and pleasant. Everything was as I expected it to be – even our special requests (small table in bathroom for hospitality basket, certain brand of champagne at the bar, spot for photo booth in atrium) were all taken care of with a smile. I would highly recommend this venue to other couples that are in the planning process.

Perfect Wedding

Reviewed on 11/01/2014

The Hotel Northampton turned out to be the perfect venue for my daughter's wedding. Brianne is completely amazing as the hotel's event planner. She thinks of everything, has wonderful suggestions and is a pleasure to work with. The hotel staff did an excellent job setting... Read More everything up. The venue looked beautiful, the food was great and the service was excellent. Our guests had a great time at the wedding, really enjoyed their overnight accommodations at the hotel and loved being in downtown Northampton.

Hotel Northampton Wedding - Amazing!

Reviewed on 11/01/2014 Laura S

Our wedding at the Hotel Northampton was awesome! Most of our guests came from NYC so we had a very big hotel block in addition to the ceremony and reception at the hotel. The accommodations were great and many guests remarked on how great the service in the hotel and... Read More restaurants was. I have to say maybe the best thing about planning our wedding at the Hotel Northampton was Brianne!! Brianne planned our event and made sure everything was executed perfectly, her attention to detail and creative ideas were most appreciated. Though she nor anyone at the hotel ever said this, I think I was a pretty demanding bride with a very specific vision of how the day would go... with Brianne in charge I knew everything would be perfect, and it was! We are now 6 weeks out from the wedding and I still have guests telling me it was the best wedding they've been to and how good the food was at the hotel - everything was so great! If you have your wedding at the hotel Northampton with Brianne in charge you will not be disappointed!

Recommend without reservation!

Reviewed on 10/31/2014 Holly B

I have to admit that when my fiance and I were looking at wedding venues, I initially preferred another venue in the area over the Hotel Northampton. The main difference in venues were the wedding coordinators. I was far more impressed with Brianne Ebel, the wedding coordinator... Read More at the Hotel Northampton, and she really was the deciding factor in selecting the Hotel for our reception. Brianne made a very stressful time much less stressful by offering suggestions and bringing up things we would have never thought of, and always had a positive attitude -- we always left feeling better than we had after talking to her. She would get back to us right away if we had questions, and periodically checked in with us to see how things were going. The day before the wedding, we gave her some items to be displayed the following day, and she did such an amazing job putting together some things that were a little out of the ordinary. We were very pleased with the presentation of the special items. As for the reception itself, the ballroom was beautiful, the food was excellent, and many of our guests commented that it was the nicest wedding they had ever attended. Our waiter, Ian, was AMAZING - he had a great sense of humor and was very attentive to all of our (the bridal party) needs throughout the evening. I have no doubt in my mind that we chose the right place for our reception. Trust me when I say Brianne is the best - you won't have any worries when you are in her hands!

Brianne and the staff of the Hotel Northampton are amazing

Reviewed on 10/31/2014 Greg L

After contacting the Hotel Northampton in the fall of 2013, we were put in touch with Brianne Ebel. Brianne is the hotel social and event coordinator who really set the hotel apart from their competitors. Other venues have similar packages and all have their own unique points,... Read More but Brianne was able to walk us through the day and help us envision our late summer 2014 event all at the first meeting. While contemplating our meeting along with other options, Brianne reached out to us and was able peak our interest in the Hotel Northampton. While other vendors might retract and disappear until shortly before the wedding, Brianne was in touch with us periodically helping to guide us through the process of selecting options and planning the overall day. The last few weeks before the event were very fast paced and she was able to help us along the path, giving ideas and helping us prioritize what is really important for the big day. In addition, Brianne was able to coordinate with other vendors for our event. The meeting with her the day before the reception to pass on items for the set-up is where you know for sure that you're in good hands. The little details that we tried to convey were noted and acted up by Brianne. She and the staff did a great job with the set-up of our items for the cocktail hour and reception. Upon arriving at the hotel during cocktail hour, we had Brianne guide us on our way to the hospitality suite and around for photos. Brianne was there every step of the way right though the ballroom door for our introduction to our guests. The staff of the hotel was amazing as well. Everyone from the clerks, wait staff, and bartenders were phenomenal. Our meal was great so their kitchen staff deserves a big thank you for making the reception all that more pleasant. We had the bridal suite for the night complete with champagne and snacks. The hotel did a wonderful job for our event, even accommodating our request of taking down the exterior brunch banner for the day of our event. There really isn't much more to say about the wonderful service that we were provided by Brianne Ebel and the Hotel Northampton. If we had to do it again, we wouldn’t change a thing about choosing this remarkable venue.

Patients is key

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Stephanie M

It was a pleasure working with Brianne. The week before my wedding we met for our final run down of our big day. I was extremely sick I had walking pneumonia. I remember sitting at the table barely able to function. Brianne and my mother in law went over the final details as I... Read More knodded my head. I remember saying to Brianne " At this point I don't care, exhausted from being sick. Brianne reassured me my big day would be exactly how I dreamt it to be. She did not let me down. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. Definitely would go there if I was hosting a function. Good luck brides.

Hotel Northampton

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Ashley B

This was one of the best experiences of my life, not only because it was my wedding day, but things went smoothly. If something didn't go right I had no idea! Brianne was amazing and was such a huge help from start to finish.

I wouldn't have done it any other way!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Meredith S

My husband and I are from southern Maine. We have the unique situation of our families being from two entirely different geographic locations within the northeast (my family is in Maine, his is in Syracuse). We knew we wanted our wedding somewhere in the middle. Although... Read More planning a wedding from afar is inevitably a challenge, the staff at the Hotel accommodated us start to finish, making the process go smoothly. In the end, we were extraordinarily pleased with our overall experience. More specifically... Things that we didn't love: - We had a large amount of guests that required lodging. We tried to expand our block at the Hotel a week before our wedding per our guests' request, and were told that this was not allowed. Apparently you can only add on to your block 30 days prior. This was tricky with our RSVPs being due only 2 weeks prior. This was the only time I felt disappointed while doing business with the Hotel. -My husband and I realized last minute that we had to take an extra day off of work before the wedding to bring in our reception details (place cards, table numbers, etc), as the contract states that they must be at the Hotel 3 days before the wedding. But who am I kidding... we didn't mind having the excuse of taking a extra day off of work before the wedding :) Things that we liked (very much): -Ruby and Brianne were a delight to work with. They were friendly, accommodating, helpful, and flexible. - The reception staff was also fabulous. My hubby and I never got a chance to eat at the reception(we were too busy having the times of our lives), so we had our plates sent up to our room. We were delighted to find a tray with both meals, champagne, fresh fruit, and cheese and crackers waiting for us when we finally made our way up. - The reception went off without a single hitch. I was just along for the amazing ride--- I didn't have to worry about a single thing. Things that we loved: - Ok ok... we truly LOVED Brianne and Ruby :) - we loved every second of our wedding day. The atmosphere, the FOOD (...omg the food...), and the presentation was absolutely flawless. The contrast of the grand ballroom next to the charming atrium perfectly captured the vibe that I was going for. - we loved being able to smile and hug and thank our family and friends as they remarked on our wedding being one of the best weddings that they had ever been to!!!! As the host, that really was the icing on the cake of our 100% perfect day. A very heartfelt thank you to the Hotel Northampton for being so very, very good at what you do. We are forever grateful and would recommend you in a heartbeat.

Awesome Venue

Reviewed on 10/28/2014

Brianne and her team at the Hotel Northampton did a tremendous job from working with my wife and I in the planning stages to the execution of the actual wedding. Her and her team were able to meet or exceed our very exacting requirements, which is saying a lot since we are from... Read More New York and expected top-notch service ans quality. The staff were top-notch and very experienced and the food quality was fantastic. I would recommend Brianne and the hotel to anyone planning a wedding in Western Massachusetts

Dreams came true!!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014

My partner and I ( husband now ) searched for a venue that provided excellent service, food, open minded to same sex marriage, proper location, beautiful setting.... Hotel Northampton met everything we were looking for and MUCH more. We never thought the treatment we received... Read More would be this first class. We recommend this venue to anyone looking , especially same sex couples. I mean Northampton Mass, very open minded city. We want to thank all the staff for everything they did to make our night memorable. Especially Brianne Ebel... With out her none of this would have come together. Planning a destination wedding is hard enough. Brianne made every little detail so easy. And it ALL came together. It was beautiful. She's excellent at what she does, and she truly cares. It shows 110 %. Best wedding ever 10/4/14. David & Jamie

Hotel Northampton - Get your dream wedding without the stress

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Niem D

I absolutely loved my entire experience at Hotel Northampton. The wedding selections were amazing and the whole staff was accommodating. Not only did the make great recommendations to vendors but they had to go through the approvals of my Mom, Sisters and Aunts. Brianne Ebel... Read More is an incredible resource and was a huge reason I chose The Hotel over other venues in the area. She was great at recommendations, adjustments and last minute updates. From a wedding that was initially a quick JP affaire, The Hotel truly did deliver an Imperial Experience. We even had a send-off brunch the next day.