House of Broel

New Orleans, LA

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

The Most Romantic Site in New Orleans

Known for its warmth and charm this Garden District Mansion delights guests with exceptional Creole Cuisine, attentive staff and unparalleled surroundings – all at an affordable price. The hand painted high Victorian ceilings, exquisite antiques, romantic courtyard and glorious gardens offer a unique background for your special day in this magical city.

• Outdoor - Covered

Guest Capacity

Backyard, Ballroom, Garden, Estate, Museum, Historic Venue, Park, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

2220 Street Charles, New Orleans, LA

Perfect Fairytale Wedding

Reviewed on 6/08/2015 Alicia J

This was the perfect place to make my dreams of a fabulous fairytale wedding come to life. Everything was truly wonderful! My husband is from New Orleans, but I'm from New York so most of my guests had never experienced a wedding in New Orleans and they were all very impressed... Read More and said they have never enjoyed a wedding reception as much as ours. Bonnie Broel, the owner did an excellent job of making sure that everything was perfect. The whole evening was truly magical! And the scenery looks absolutely amazing in all of our photos. It's the perfect setting for elegance and classic love story. The ceremony was pure romance and the reception was fun fun fun!!!! I highly recommend the House of Broel Victorian Mansion for your wedding ceremony and reception.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015

A wonderful wedding venue, especially if you are looking for that NOLA vibe. They took care of every detail with no stress. All of the staff were wonderful to work with and made sure guests enjoyed themselves. Most importantly they allowed our dog to be part of the ceremony... Read More in the wonderful courtyard outside.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Mindi M

Just had our wedding ceremony there last Saturday for a very small intimate family wedding. Everything was beautiful and went perfect. Could not have asked for a better ceremony. Ms Broel made us feel just as important as if we had a large wedding and paid attention to every... Read More detail and request we had. Recommend this venue for a large or small gathering. And her staff is also very helpful (especially for the bride going down stairs in a wedding gown and heels :) ) Definitely had a ceremony to remember!

Reviewed on 10/30/2015

I told my now-husband that my dream wedding was one where I didn’t have to plan a damn thing. I almost got away with it (still had to clean my house for the in-laws, inflate the air mattress, etc.) House of Broel made our reception happen. Ms. Broel, Denise, and the rest of the... Read More staff were warm and professional. When I requested hot food for a vegetarian guest, a plate of spaghetti was in front of him in under 10 minutes (he also enjoyed the cold appetizers). My family and friends felt welcome, safe, and cared for. I got the impression that the ultimate goal was to make the bride happy -- probably a wedding industry thing. What made me happy was to see my loved ones treated well. Well done, House of Broel.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015

The House of Broel was the ideal place for my mom and dad's Anniversery Party. Ms. Bonnie was a phenomenal hostess, The hotels around town were looking at us like we are ATM's. Ms. Bonnie worked with us on budget, schedule, menu, and our agenda for the party and it turned out... Read More perfectly. Food was terrific. Her management of the bar was perfect. We were able to set up our equipment and it worked perfectly (Ms. Bonnie lent us a few things we forgot, too). The place is beautiful, and everyone loved the tours of the upstairs. Don't hesitate to book this place!

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Penny V

We had a wonderful experience at The House of Broel. Ms Bonnie and her staff were attentive, courteous and professional. We chose House of Broel because Ms. Bonnie has many years of experience and her home was the perfect venue for our wedding. Ms Bonnie and her staff made sure... Read More our big day was as stress free as possible. We highly recommend The House of Broel to anyone who wants a true New Orleans wedding experience.

Reviewed on 10/23/2015

Dear Bonnie Broel Thank you so very much for allowing our two sons, Michael and Chris to hold our Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary Celebration at the beautiful House of Broel. Everyone was so very impressed, even though most of the guests were from the New Orleans area, and not... Read More unfamiliar with old, beautiful New Orleans homes and Southern Hospitality. Michael said you were delightful, and so willing and easy to work with them within their budget. Also, allowing Chris and his band to set up and play for us was an extra special treat! My only regret was that I was unable to take the upstairs museum tour with you. We will definitely try to do it next time we are in New Orleans. Thank you so very much! With much gratitude, Isabelle and Andre’ Mule’

Reviewed on 10/22/2015

Everyone raved about the house. The owner herself gave a guided tour during our reception that was amazing to say the least. Everyone loved it!!! The service and food were wonderful. It was a memorable, perfect time. Kudos to the DJ . . he was awesome!

Reviewed on 10/22/2015

We had an amazing wedding at House of Broel! Beautiful alter and service. Very professional and attentive staff. A great place for an intimate wedding and reception. We loved it!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

Looking for a unique place to have your wedding that offers you and your guests plenty of flavorful food, awesome service and classy, Victorian atmosphere all brought together with traditional New Orleans flare? Then, House of Broel is your place! Bonnie, the legendary owner,... Read More and her expertise and attentive staff ensured a smooth running reception. Their southern hospitality made me and my family and friends feel like we were at home in this beautiful mansion.

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Darlene W

Magic from the start! House of Broel is the most beautiful place I could ever imagine myself getting married. The whole day was held with such class yet in a relaxing atmosphere. The food was perfect with so much variety. Bonnie Broel and her staff made the day so enjoyable and... Read More at a price that fit my budget. I have heard from many of my guests how much fun the day was. Great DJ also! House of Broel took my wishes and delivered to my perfection.

Reviewed on 10/15/2015 Kristin P

Great venue! We are from St. Louis and wanted a New Orleans vibe without being in the middle of the Quarter. The House of Broel definitely fit the bill. Once we booked the place we took a short trip there to meet with the staff and see the place. It was perfect size for our... Read More wedding guests (~50) and exactly the style we were looking for. The day of the wedding I had an "attendant" who made sure I had everything I needed from the moment I walked in the door to get ready until we left (she even made sure I ate!). Bonnie, the owner, gave tours of the house to all our guests and told some of the traditions of New Orleans weddings (we had a King cake for a wedding cake). Some people may say that the owner is rude, and in fact my husband jokingly told her that she was bossy, but I take it that she just knows what she's doing and someone needs to be there to move the party along.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Robin C

Proceed With Caution: The venue is nice and my groom and I had a very professional and attentive attendant, Denise. The D.J. (Carl) was awesome and did a great job. The food was plentiful and good. Drinks were good. But unfortunately the unprofessional actions of the... Read More owner is the reason I have to give this rating. I want to give as much detail as possible to explain my low rating so apologize for the lengthy review. First, after being told about them in writing, Ms. Broel was agitated that there were children there and expressed this to several people. She actually told the groom that she "had no idea" there would be children there. She was clearly unhappy that they were there and complained about them. It was very upsetting since they were my grandchildren. Even if they weren't part of the wedding party they would have been there. State up front if you don't want children in your venue. It was never stated!! Second, I had several guests and family members who reported that they felt they were treated rudely by the owner for one thing or another. Specifically, my son-in-law was yelled at by the owner for using the wrong door to enter the reception from the outside garden. There was no signage indicating that guests were to not use the door. Very disappointed that my guests and family were stressed out. Third, Ms. Broel, at the end of the reception, loudly and in front of several people informed me that I still owed her money for her services as Officiant and gratuities for her staff (which was all discussed up front and agreed to). My problem is that she should have just pulled me aside and quietly reminded me of the fees owed. There was no need to shout it out in front of everyone. It's not like I was leaving, I was still inside and standing right in front of her when the outburst occurred. I have no idea what prompted it, but it was uncalled for, unprofessional and completely rude. My daughter and friend standing right next to me were embarrassed and quietly walked out the front door feeling very uncomfortable. Fourth, my entire (small) wedding party (2 bridesmaids, 2 groomsmen, flower girl and ring bearer) reported that the short rehearsal before the ceremony was very stressful and that Ms. Broel was clearly agitated and stressed and barking out orders to everyone and being extremely rude when they didn't know where they were supposed to stand. There was no other were they supposed to know until they were told. We were all on time, we were all ready and they all felt like she was extremely agitated. Whatever the reason for her stress, it was totally unprofessional to take it out on my bridal party! I wrote a short review on a piece of paper before I left which said that everything was wonderful. I didn't find out about everyone's experiences until that night and the next day. The outburst regarding the money didn't really set in with me until my daughter pulled me aside after I left the building and asked what was that all about. I then realized how many people actually heard it and was so embarrassed that such an outburst happened. I emailed Ms. Broel and gave her the opportunity to address everything. She only addressed the incident regarding the children and said that it was a misunderstanding. Nothing else was addressed.

2015-10-19T13:16:58 Response from the vendor

I am truly sorry for being so upset at the wedding. There was an emergency that the Bride and guests were unaware of, and they took my upset personally, which was not my intention. I tried to maintain my composure, but obviously not well enough,... Read Less Read More

Review of the house of Broel

Reviewed on 10/14/2015

Bonnie: First and foremost, I want to thank you for opening the House of Broel to us and for hosting such a lovely ceremony and reception for us. The level of attention that we received from you and members of your professional staff was unsurpassed. The succulent food you... Read More prepared for us, about which we are still receiving comments; the delicious cake worth dying for; the warmth and majesty of your house; and the professionalism of your staff are all factors, which contributed to all the guests being able to enjoy themselves. From the House of Broel's end, everything went to perfection. For this, I am most appreciative, and I want to convey to you and your staff my heartfelt thanks. Flore Zéphir, Mother of the Bride. Columbia, MO.

Dreams Do Come True!

Reviewed on 8/12/2015

We were extremely satisfied with how easy and stress-less everything went. 5 stars is well deserved. Thank you House of Broel for everything

2015-08-12T16:31:12 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are very happy that we were able to make your big day special and stress free!

Reviewed on 8/10/2015

It's a truly fabulous home! Walking through it is like stepping back into a time and place of elegance and refinement.

Reviewed on 12/06/2014

The house is absolutely beautiful! The food was amazing. Since we are from Texas and wanted to do some of the New Orleans traditions,Bonnie graciously guided us through all of those. Her main concern is for the bride and making her dreams come true. My daughter said her... Read More wedding was MAGICAL! Thank you Bonnie. Toni Hanson Mother of the Bride

2015-03-02T15:05:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you Toni! I appreciate this very much!

Best Day of my Life

Reviewed on 8/21/2014 Marissa B

My husband and I got married on August 2, 2014 and it truly was the best day of my life. He is in the military and was gone for our entire engagement, my family is in California, his family is in Mississippi, and I live in Alabama. I was very stressed considering planning a... Read More wedding by myself and trying to coordinate this with family all over the country but Ms. Bonnie was amazing to work with and made my life so simple! The venue is decorated beautifully so I didn't have to worry about excess decorations or having to travel with much for the venue. I was able to make appointments to see the venue when needed and I always received excellent customer service when I called with questions. So many of my family and friends commented on how much fun they had and how their experience was absolutely amazing. All the food was delicious and a perfect mix to satisfy all guests taste. Over all this was the best choice for what our families were looking for and I definitely recommend this venue for anyone looking to have a fun, stress free, wedding day!

Reeks of Southern Charm!

Reviewed on 6/18/2014

I have been to several splendid events here over the years including an engagement party. They have a beautiful ballroom for events where live bands can set up and where we enjoyed some dancing. I really liked how the house is conveniently located on St Charles next to many... Read More hotels and the St Charles Streetcar line. The tour guide of the house reeks of Southern charm, he was so friendly and entertaining. He explained to us all the history of the home and the Madame that owns it. Apparently he is also an amazing chef! I loved the back patio where we could sit outside and enjoy the frog pond as well! I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed on 4/15/2014 Jamie R

Wedding was effortless, the staff and Mrs. Broel took care of everything. All I had to do was walk down the aisle and say "I Do". The food was wonderful and the staff was very attentive.

Romance and Fun

Reviewed on 4/15/2014 Jennie L

Our wedding day was fabulous at the House of Broel! The mansion was beautiful, and the passion of Ms. Broel and her staff was evident through the impeccable service they provided. I could not have asked for a more perfect wedding day! The food was yummy, the DJ was spot on with... Read More my requests, and the grounds were beautiful. Ms. Broel has many years of exprience in the industry and knows how to throw a great party!

A+ Experience

Reviewed on 4/04/2014

The House of Broel was magical. Bonnie and her team are top-notch in every regard. They took care of every detail and were very thorough. Bonnie even helped me find the right venue for my rehearsal dinner. The House of Broel value is extraordinary- the team takes care of... Read More everything. (cake, food, drinks, champagne toast, dj) There are no hidden charges, I paid a small additional charge to upgrade my cake (I had something specific in mind), and I had to remember to bring cash for gratuity for the servers- that was it! Our wedding was a destination wedding; my husband and I lived in New Orleans for 6-8 months prior to our wedding, but the majority of our guests (70 something total) came from other states and even other countries. House of Broel helped to make our wedding even more memorable! My only caution: Some guests love the dollhouse museum upstairs, some don't. Either way, it is a unique and special piece of New Orleans and my guests really appreciated the entire experience and left feeling like they took part in something extraordinary.

House of Broel

Reviewed on 3/25/2014 Kelli M

My highest expectations were exceeded. The House of Broel made my two person elopement wedding feel like the ceremony of storybooks. From the personal bridal room to prep in, to the grand entrance down the stairs for the groom's first glimpse of the dress, to the lovely vows... Read More Bonnie created, to the music that Kevin provided, to the wonderful photographs that Rachel took in multiple settings, to the gorgeous wedding cake and good champagne toast..this was my dream wedding. Everyone at House of Broel was friendly, professional, and just really good at what they do and it shows. I could not have had a more perfect wedding. The mansion was stunning and the grounds were all part of the fairytale setting. I am 35 and being in this wedding made me feel like a princess. My groom is still eating the delicious cake that we took home by train. I could not have felt more special on such a momentous day. Thank you so much from Atlanta Kelli Martin

Perfect New Orleans Wedding

Reviewed on 3/12/2014 carmen g

I was married at the House of Broel in October. The moment Ms.Bonnie gave us the tour of her home we fell in love. She is so gracious and knowledgeable of the home's history. You don't feel like you are in just any old New Orleans home, you can feel the history and see the... Read More beauty in this property. Ms.Bonnie and her staff were amazing, she took care of everything and was always available if I had any questions. Cassandra was equally amazing the day of the wedding and helped me with any small thing I needed. I had so many compliments from the guests about how much they enjoyed the wedding and how it was one of the best they had ever attended. If you want to feel special and completely cared for on your day then I suggest going to Ms. Bonnie. I couldn't imagine a better wedding. It was a dream come true and will be my first choice for any other party I would ever have in New Orleans. Thank you so much!

Phenomenal Venue and Staff!

Reviewed on 3/11/2014 Nicole H

We were married during Mardi Gras 2014 at House of Broel. The ambiance of the venue is historic and unforgettable. Mrs. Bonnie Broel was genuine and was no stranger to weddings and how they should be done. Rachel and the rest of the staff were accomodating, down to earth and... Read More very professional. Overall rating of 5 stars is well deserved. I felt comfortable and had no concerns that all would go as planned. Thank you, House of Broel! You deserve all the success in the world!! - Nicole New Orleans, La