House of Broel

New Orleans, LA

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

The Most Romantic Site in New Orleans

Known for its warmth and charm this Garden District Mansion delights guests with exceptional Creole Cuisine, attentive staff and unparalleled surroundings – all at an affordable price. The hand painted high Victorian ceilings, exquisite antiques, romantic courtyard and glorious gardens offer a unique background for your special day in this magical city.

• Outdoor - Covered

Guest Capacity

Backyard, Ballroom, Garden, Estate, Museum, Historic Venue, Park, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

2220 Street Charles, New Orleans, LA

Reviewed on 5/12/2016

As the school year draws to a close, I have finally had time to sit down and write up a review for House of Broel. First, let me say that Joan and I visited a number of venues before choosing to have our reception here in December 2015, and the other places were quite nice.... Read More New Orleans is filled with beautiful reception halls and great food, but House of Broel stands out among them. The house is located on one of the prettiest and most historic streets in the city, and its beautiful location on St. Charles is mirrored by the rooms on the inside. The inside is filled, not just with antiques, but also with pieces of New Orleans memorabilia, such as one of Bonnie Broel’s Mardi Gras gowns. The layout of the house is perfect for any kind of party, and we loved moving from room to room, dancing, chatting, and enjoying the excellent food. The fountain and courtyard out back was also lovely, and we took some of our favorite wedding photos there. Of course, there is also a second floor filled with items from Bonnie’s travels, her frog collection, and a host of doll houses. Our guests were treated to a tour, and they loved it. House of Broel is outstanding on its own, but there’s more. Bonnie Broel is a great host. She was always willing to address any concern leading up to the wedding, even offering to open the venue for a visit from my mother-in-law who happened to be in town one random day leading up to the wedding. She chatted with our guests and charmed them, too. Honestly, we were sold on House of Broel from the moment we sat down with her to view picture albums. She is a New Orleans treasure. Lastly, let’s talk pricing. I won’t go into all of the details here, but I would be surprised if there is a better price out there. The food was tasty, we had an open bar with top shelf alcohol, the cake and dj were included in the package, etc. Her rates were easily the most reasonable ones we encountered, and, for what she gave us, she could have charged a great deal more. During our first meeting, Bonnie made a remark that she wanted to “give the house to the girls.” She sincerely means that, and it’s clear that she is delighted to have guests in her family home. TLDR: You won’t go wrong choosing House of Broel for your wedding reception or any other party. The price won’t break the bank. Make sure you spend some time chatting with Bonnie; she rocks.

2016-05-17T15:55:51 Response from the vendor

Dear Wayne and Joan, Let me begin by saying that how you feel is one of the main reasons why I stay in this business. I have worked very diligently throughout the years to make The House of Broel what it is today and I... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 5/22/2016

My husband and I were looking for a very unique place to hold our wedding ceremony in New Orleans, since he proposed there, it held a special place in our heart. I did lots of research of different places until I came across House of Broel. I loved everything about Bonnie’s... Read More immaculate home. Living out of state, we actually had an opportunity to visit her house, at such time she showed us around. Bonnie from the minute we met her was so nice and professional! She showed us the different options as to where the ceremony could be performed, inside, or outside by her beautiful garden. We really wanted to get married outside by her garden area. When we arrived on our wedding day, Bonnie showed great care and concern for making our day very memorable, special and exactly the way we wanted. From the minute we got there, it felt like we were family, although the only people present were the two of us, since we decided on a private ceremony! Bonnie paid attention to every detail from being very attentive in the gorgeous bridal room to the cutting of our cake. Our day was so memorable thanks to Bonnie and her staff! Our loved ones love the pictures that were taken of our ceremony and are consistently saying how happy we look in our pictures! She and her staff made us feel like their main goal was to make our day as special and beautiful as it could be. The icing on the cake was seeing how happy Bonnie was being a part of our ceremony and how much she truly loves doing this!

Perfect Fairytale Wedding

Reviewed on 6/08/2015 Alicia J

This was the perfect place to make my dreams of a fabulous fairytale wedding come to life. Everything was truly wonderful! My husband is from New Orleans, but I'm from New York so most of my guests had never experienced a wedding in New Orleans and they were all very impressed... Read More and said they have never enjoyed a wedding reception as much as ours. Bonnie Broel, the owner did an excellent job of making sure that everything was perfect. The whole evening was truly magical! And the scenery looks absolutely amazing in all of our photos. It's the perfect setting for elegance and classic love story. The ceremony was pure romance and the reception was fun fun fun!!!! I highly recommend the House of Broel Victorian Mansion for your wedding ceremony and reception.

Reviewed on 5/26/2016

Absolutely exceptional! Great staff, they were at every pin point to make sure everything went as perfect as possible. The food was great, very very good. Best venue I've been too!

2016-05-26T14:51:14 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this 5 star review. I am so pleased that you have had such a wonderful experience.

Reviewed on 5/25/2016 Kirsten E

My wedding was Oct. 17, 2014. It was great! We had a great time! This is the most romantic place to have a wedding! My family loved it, and are still talking about how beautiful everything was! We had a few behind the scene moments that would have ruined a wedding but no one... Read More knew because the service was excellent. Ms. Broel is the greatest! She performed a wonderful ceremony for us. My assistant kept us on time with events like cake cutting, bouquet toss, etc. My junior bride had the same exact dress as I did & we didn't want to her to be seen before the wedding so they brought her down a hidden back staircase & had her in a holding room & even had someone sit with her so she wouldn't be scared! The food was awesome & abundant! Good thing we had ours boxed to take with us because it was all gone! The drinks were the strongest I've ever had at any wedding! All my guests were very, very pleased! My husband & I vow that if this place is still open when we renew our vows in 10 years, we will have our ceremony here!

Reviewed on 5/24/2016 mary s

I was the matron of honor at a wedding that took place at the house of broel on 5/14/16. This a beautiful venue with a rich history. It fit the style and size of the wedding perfectly. Food was great and the drinks were flowing. Ms.Bonnie was a joy and the entire staff was... Read More friendly. This house captures the essence of New Orleans in a classic environment.

Reviewed on 5/24/2016 Carl M

I recently attended several events at the House of Broel, including their 50th Anniversary Gala hosted by the lovely Bonnie Broel herself. I would recommend to anyone looking for an elegant and fun venue to consider this gorgeous reception home for their function. The food was... Read More delicious and the presentation so precise and well thought out, that it made it obvious that they have perfected their hospitality style to meet and exceed their guests expectations. I look forward to the next opportunity I have to attend an event at the House of Broel.

Reviewed on 4/20/2016

My son had his wedding there and I was not impressed at all! The Owner and some of the workers are Rude and unprofessional. The courtyard is small and not many places to sit. The inside rooms were small to host a wedding with 100 guest, plus the wedding party. The food was... Read More not good. You are not allowed upstairs and will be physically moved down the stairs to make sure that you don't go upstairs. I has been going upstairs most of the day and I was not told that I needed an escort to go up there. But when I went to go get my purse, I was physically moved down the stairs by one of the employees. I feel if you are worried about the doll houses that are up there, then don't let the bride get dressed up there. (that is the selling point that is told when you tour to book a wedding.) The wedding was supposed to end at 10:30pm, but yet at 10pm the owner made sure that everything was over, and wanted to make sure that we were out by 10:30pm. It is an overpriced venue with bad tasting food. The floor was slick and several people slipped. Save your money! There are better places in New Orleans to have a wedding where you won't be treated like a criminal and disrespected. The only good thing was the bartenders.

2016-04-21T16:37:55 Response from the vendor

Congratulations on your son and daughter-in-law's Wedding at the House of Broel. Matthew and Meredith are a lovely couple and they left in great spirits, delighted with their Wedding and Reception. This review is under investigation with The Knot. Please contact me directly for more... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/30/2015

I told my now-husband that my dream wedding was one where I didn’t have to plan a damn thing. I almost got away with it (still had to clean my house for the in-laws, inflate the air mattress, etc.) House of Broel made our reception happen. Ms. Broel, Denise, and the rest of the... Read More staff were warm and professional. When I requested hot food for a vegetarian guest, a plate of spaghetti was in front of him in under 10 minutes (he also enjoyed the cold appetizers). My family and friends felt welcome, safe, and cared for. I got the impression that the ultimate goal was to make the bride happy -- probably a wedding industry thing. What made me happy was to see my loved ones treated well. Well done, House of Broel.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015

The House of Broel was the ideal place for my mom and dad's Anniversery Party. Ms. Bonnie was a phenomenal hostess, The hotels around town were looking at us like we are ATM's. Ms. Bonnie worked with us on budget, schedule, menu, and our agenda for the party and it turned out... Read More perfectly. Food was terrific. Her management of the bar was perfect. We were able to set up our equipment and it worked perfectly (Ms. Bonnie lent us a few things we forgot, too). The place is beautiful, and everyone loved the tours of the upstairs. Don't hesitate to book this place!

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Penny V

We had a wonderful experience at The House of Broel. Ms Bonnie and her staff were attentive, courteous and professional. We chose House of Broel because Ms. Bonnie has many years of experience and her home was the perfect venue for our wedding. Ms Bonnie and her staff made sure... Read More our big day was as stress free as possible. We highly recommend The House of Broel to anyone who wants a true New Orleans wedding experience.

Reviewed on 10/23/2015

Dear Bonnie Broel Thank you so very much for allowing our two sons, Michael and Chris to hold our Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary Celebration at the beautiful House of Broel. Everyone was so very impressed, even though most of the guests were from the New Orleans area, and not... Read More unfamiliar with old, beautiful New Orleans homes and Southern Hospitality. Michael said you were delightful, and so willing and easy to work with them within their budget. Also, allowing Chris and his band to set up and play for us was an extra special treat! My only regret was that I was unable to take the upstairs museum tour with you. We will definitely try to do it next time we are in New Orleans. Thank you so very much! With much gratitude, Isabelle and Andre’ Mule’

Reviewed on 10/22/2015

Everyone raved about the house. The owner herself gave a guided tour during our reception that was amazing to say the least. Everyone loved it!!! The service and food were wonderful. It was a memorable, perfect time. Kudos to the DJ . . he was awesome!

Reviewed on 10/22/2015

We had an amazing wedding at House of Broel! Beautiful alter and service. Very professional and attentive staff. A great place for an intimate wedding and reception. We loved it!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

Looking for a unique place to have your wedding that offers you and your guests plenty of flavorful food, awesome service and classy, Victorian atmosphere all brought together with traditional New Orleans flare? Then, House of Broel is your place! Bonnie, the legendary owner,... Read More and her expertise and attentive staff ensured a smooth running reception. Their southern hospitality made me and my family and friends feel like we were at home in this beautiful mansion.

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Darlene W

Magic from the start! House of Broel is the most beautiful place I could ever imagine myself getting married. The whole day was held with such class yet in a relaxing atmosphere. The food was perfect with so much variety. Bonnie Broel and her staff made the day so enjoyable and... Read More at a price that fit my budget. I have heard from many of my guests how much fun the day was. Great DJ also! House of Broel took my wishes and delivered to my perfection.

Reviewed on 10/15/2015 Kristin P

Great venue! We are from St. Louis and wanted a New Orleans vibe without being in the middle of the Quarter. The House of Broel definitely fit the bill. Once we booked the place we took a short trip there to meet with the staff and see the place. It was perfect size for our... Read More wedding guests (~50) and exactly the style we were looking for. The day of the wedding I had an "attendant" who made sure I had everything I needed from the moment I walked in the door to get ready until we left (she even made sure I ate!). Bonnie, the owner, gave tours of the house to all our guests and told some of the traditions of New Orleans weddings (we had a King cake for a wedding cake). Some people may say that the owner is rude, and in fact my husband jokingly told her that she was bossy, but I take it that she just knows what she's doing and someone needs to be there to move the party along.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Robin C

Proceed With Caution: The venue is nice and my groom and I had a very professional and attentive attendant, Denise. The D.J. (Carl) was awesome and did a great job. The food was plentiful and good. Drinks were good. But unfortunately the unprofessional actions of the... Read More owner is the reason I have to give this rating. I want to give as much detail as possible to explain my low rating so apologize for the lengthy review. First, after being told about them in writing, Ms. Broel was agitated that there were children there and expressed this to several people. She actually told the groom that she "had no idea" there would be children there. She was clearly unhappy that they were there and complained about them. It was very upsetting since they were my grandchildren. Even if they weren't part of the wedding party they would have been there. State up front if you don't want children in your venue. It was never stated!! Second, I had several guests and family members who reported that they felt they were treated rudely by the owner for one thing or another. Specifically, my son-in-law was yelled at by the owner for using the wrong door to enter the reception from the outside garden. There was no signage indicating that guests were to not use the door. Very disappointed that my guests and family were stressed out. Third, Ms. Broel, at the end of the reception, loudly and in front of several people informed me that I still owed her money for her services as Officiant and gratuities for her staff (which was all discussed up front and agreed to). My problem is that she should have just pulled me aside and quietly reminded me of the fees owed. There was no need to shout it out in front of everyone. It's not like I was leaving, I was still inside and standing right in front of her when the outburst occurred. I have no idea what prompted it, but it was uncalled for, unprofessional and completely rude. My daughter and friend standing right next to me were embarrassed and quietly walked out the front door feeling very uncomfortable. Fourth, my entire (small) wedding party (2 bridesmaids, 2 groomsmen, flower girl and ring bearer) reported that the short rehearsal before the ceremony was very stressful and that Ms. Broel was clearly agitated and stressed and barking out orders to everyone and being extremely rude when they didn't know where they were supposed to stand. There was no other rehearsal....how were they supposed to know until they were told. We were all on time, we were all ready and they all felt like she was extremely agitated. Whatever the reason for her stress, it was totally unprofessional to take it out on my bridal party! I wrote a short review on a piece of paper before I left which said that everything was wonderful. I didn't find out about everyone's experiences until that night and the next day. The outburst regarding the money didn't really set in with me until my daughter pulled me aside after I left the building and asked what was that all about. I then realized how many people actually heard it and was so embarrassed that such an outburst happened. I emailed Ms. Broel and gave her the opportunity to address everything. She only addressed the incident regarding the children and said that it was a misunderstanding. Nothing else was addressed.

2015-10-19T13:16:58 Response from the vendor

I am truly sorry for being so upset at the wedding. There was an emergency that the Bride and guests were unaware of, and they took my upset personally, which was not my intention. I tried to maintain my composure, but obviously not well enough,... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/14/2015

A wonderful wedding venue, especially if you are looking for that NOLA vibe. They took care of every detail with no stress. All of the staff were wonderful to work with and made sure guests enjoyed themselves. Most importantly they allowed our dog to be part of the ceremony... Read More in the wonderful courtyard outside.

Review of the house of Broel

Reviewed on 10/14/2015

Bonnie: First and foremost, I want to thank you for opening the House of Broel to us and for hosting such a lovely ceremony and reception for us. The level of attention that we received from you and members of your professional staff was unsurpassed. The succulent food you... Read More prepared for us, about which we are still receiving comments; the delicious cake worth dying for; the warmth and majesty of your house; and the professionalism of your staff are all factors, which contributed to all the guests being able to enjoy themselves. From the House of Broel's end, everything went to perfection. For this, I am most appreciative, and I want to convey to you and your staff my heartfelt thanks. Flore Zéphir, Mother of the Bride. Columbia, MO.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Mindi M

Just had our wedding ceremony there last Saturday for a very small intimate family wedding. Everything was beautiful and went perfect. Could not have asked for a better ceremony. Ms Broel made us feel just as important as if we had a large wedding and paid attention to every... Read More detail and request we had. Recommend this venue for a large or small gathering. And her staff is also very helpful (especially for the bride going down stairs in a wedding gown and heels :) ) Definitely had a ceremony to remember!

Dreams Do Come True!

Reviewed on 8/12/2015

We were extremely satisfied with how easy and stress-less everything went. 5 stars is well deserved. Thank you House of Broel for everything

2015-08-12T16:31:12 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are very happy that we were able to make your big day special and stress free!

Reviewed on 8/10/2015

It's a truly fabulous home! Walking through it is like stepping back into a time and place of elegance and refinement.

Beautiful

Reviewed on 12/06/2014

The house is absolutely beautiful! The food was amazing. Since we are from Texas and wanted to do some of the New Orleans traditions,Bonnie graciously guided us through all of those. Her main concern is for the bride and making her dreams come true. My daughter said her... Read More wedding was MAGICAL! Thank you Bonnie. Toni Hanson Mother of the Bride

2015-03-02T15:05:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you Toni! I appreciate this very much!

Best Day of my Life

Reviewed on 8/21/2014 Marissa B

My husband and I got married on August 2, 2014 and it truly was the best day of my life. He is in the military and was gone for our entire engagement, my family is in California, his family is in Mississippi, and I live in Alabama. I was very stressed considering planning a... Read More wedding by myself and trying to coordinate this with family all over the country but Ms. Bonnie was amazing to work with and made my life so simple! The venue is decorated beautifully so I didn't have to worry about excess decorations or having to travel with much for the venue. I was able to make appointments to see the venue when needed and I always received excellent customer service when I called with questions. So many of my family and friends commented on how much fun they had and how their experience was absolutely amazing. All the food was delicious and a perfect mix to satisfy all guests taste. Over all this was the best choice for what our families were looking for and I definitely recommend this venue for anyone looking to have a fun, stress free, wedding day!