The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

If you want to bring together stunning architecture, a romantic ambience, a Mediterranean feel and relaxed elegance to your wedding celebration—not to mention incredible Italian food—then Il Tulipano is the location for you. Located in Cedar Grove, New Jersey, this beautiful venue was custom-created for weddings. It has four distinct spaces you can choose from—combining elements of all four is highly recommended—to create your ideal wedding day.

The Great Hall is a glass-enclosed venue with incredible illumination. For an indoor ceremony that feels as if you were outside, this is the space to use.

The Piazza is an outdoor location that works for unforgettable ceremonies and open-air receptions equally well. A large stone plaza with a definite air reminiscent of Old World Italy provides a magnificent backdrop for your wedding photos—not to mention a romantic first dance. Winding paths lead the bride and groom to lush gardens, landscaped greenery, trellises, stone arches and a soft waterfall. The opportunities for amazing pictures are endless.

The Grand Ballroom is a huge space with ornate details that make it ideal for indoor receptions. It has a large dance floor, a sophisticated ambience and large tulip chandeliers overhead. Gold-colored ceilings, breathtaking lighting and a large balcony overlooking The Piazza complete the picture-ideal appeal of this venue.

Tulip Terrace has a more relaxed vibe, a mixture between classic stone and chic decor. Oh and there’s a piano too. Abundant windows let you take in the afternoon sun, the evening sunset or nighttime stars with a hint of privacy. Not to mention, there are sumptuous pastries.

From the very start, it’s easy to notice that Il Tulipano is focused on taking care of your every need—and wish—before you even expect them it. A team of wedding planners helps you to create the celebration you envision and take away a lot of the stress brides normally feel. Your guests are treated to luxury as well, from the first Champagne greeting to the last cup of coffee on their way out the door from your included coffee station—complete with fresh biscotti.

You need to know that Il Tulipano asks couples to choose from its list of preferred vendors, but that’s a good thing since it knows which professionals can take your wedding to the next level. So when it comes to selecting a DJ or a wedding florist, ask your dedicated wedding planner for suggestions.

As you may expect from an Italian-inspired venue, there are a lot of amazing courses included in your food and drink service, from your cocktail hour to the full sorbet intermezzo and a Venetian hour with homemade Italian pastries, homemade gelato, chocolate fondue fountains, fresh waffles and zeppolis.

There are a number of fantastic packages available for an extra cost as well, like a martini bar, a sushi bar, a caviar station and a ceviche station—just to name a few. Pretty much every review of Il Tulipano makes reference to its unbelievable chef and attentive staff.

Il Tulipano is all about making you feel relaxed and at home. It’s not surprising that its amenities are geared toward your personal comfort and filling your heart—and stomach—with as much happiness and great food as possible.

• Dedicated bridal attendant
  • Exclusive event
  • Award-winning food made 100 percent from scratch
  • Homemade bread and pastries
  • Custom ice sculpture
  • Personalized wedding cake
  • Full open bar with premium wines and spirits
  • Full creperie
  • Peking duck station

Among the options—and there are a ton—that bring so much joy to the heart is a cold service station packed to the brim with jumbo shrimp, scallops, calamari, oysters, clams and tuna carpaccio. Try the exquisite Prosciutto di Parma and Genoa salami. The food is spectacular. Since Il Tulipano only schedules a single event per day, the staff pours all of its creative energy into your wedding.

One wedding at a time

Family owned and operated since 1982, one spectacular wedding at a time in the perfect setting, elaborate cocktail reception on our piazza, dinner & dancing in our elegant ballroom, completing a perfect evening with our Venetian hour… "Good cooking is the basis of true happiness" AUGUSTE ESCOFFIER

Ballroom

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Service Staff

1131 Pompton Avenue, Cedar Grove, NJ (973) 256-9300

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Allie D

From start to finish Il Tulipano made our 11/12/16 wedding spectacular. From our first meeting to picking up my stuff the morning after, they we're truely top notch. Chris and Greg always went above and beyond to make sure that we had everything we wanted to make our day... Read More perfect, and I have to say it was flawless. My bridal assistant Veronica was behind me every step of the way and went above and beyond all my expectations. The food from the cocktail hour to the Viennese hour was outstanding. There was not a single person that left hungry and no one had anything but amazing things to say about it all. Any requests or concerns they we're able to accommodate immediately and communication was always key- I never had to chase anyone down when I had a question or concern during the planning process. The staff worked flawlessly to keep everything moving the way it needed to be. The staff at Il Tulipano really puts the bride and groom first and does not go through the motions as if its "just another wedding". Thank you Il Tulipano for making everything about our day perfect!

Reviewed on 11/20/2016 Alexia G

My husband and I were absolutely blown away by the incredible service and reception that Il Tulipano delivered. From the moment we arrived I was completely mesermorized seeing how Chris and the staff made my vision come to life! The number one compliment that everyone was... Read More raving about was the food(the taste and the amount of it)! I have never witnessed a more incredible cocktail and dessert hour in my life!! Gregory and his staff were available with everything and anything my husband and I needed that night. They truly made it a night to remember!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Anthony R

We got married at Il Tulipano on 10/21/16 and we could not have been happier with the service Il Tulipano provided. Chris Ryter was a pleasure to work with as was the rest of the staff. The food was phenomenal and vainness hour was spectacular. Chris was a man of his word as... Read More he mentioned to us that they wait until the last minute to determine where the wedding ceremony will be set up. I didn't think that really meant last minute but sure enough as I was taking pictures before the ceremony I saw Chris's staff wheeling out the chairs to set up the ceremony outside. There was a clearing in the skies as our wedding time approached and they set it up in a flash and it turned out to be absolutely perfect. My mom is a diabetic and they went out of their way to make my mother's meal as she needed it. Thank you again for our wedding day a special one. I would highly recommend them to anyone if they want to have a beautiful wedding day with no worries and perfection.

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Jenn P

I can't not say enough wonderful things about Il Tulipano! We just had our wedding there this past weekend and it was spectacular. Donald helped us through the whole process. The food was excellent , the staff was speedy and everyone had a great time. We are all still getting... Read More phone calls about how great of a time our guests had! Our bridal attendant went above our expectations and we never wanted for anything! We would love to book another even here or be invited to one just to enjoy it all over again!

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Jennifer A

A huge thank you to Il Tulipano who hosted my dream wedding a few weeks ago.. I was so confident in my decision to go with them and my wedding just reinforced how happy I am that I decided to have my wedding at this venue. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. From the... Read More minute I met Jessi and Chris, everything was so easy. This venue has it all figured out and make everything so seamless and easy for a busy bride. The staff at il tulipano are the most professional in the wedding industry. My guests will not stop raving about how good the food was and delicious the dessert was. Some people say it's the best wedding and food they ever experienced. It's the best feeling to hear this and i would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for the perfect place where you can sit back and let them host your perfect day. The level of quality and professionalism across the board was something I haven't seen at many weddings. Now i just wish I could go to someone else's wedding at il tulipano so I could experience it more without having to take photos every minute!!!

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Angie O

il Tulipano was amazing in every way. All our guests from in-state and out of state had nothing but great things to say about our venue. il Tulipano made us comfortable with everything, they were there for us every step of the way, and made our day above and beyond perfection!!... Read More The food and ambiance is extraordinary, as well as making you feel like family. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the dream wedding we wanted!--Angie and Josh

Reviewed on 10/09/2016 Amanda D

We had our wedding at il Tulipano on 9/9/16 and it was the PERFECT wedding! We worked with Jessi and she was incredibly sweet, responsive, and helpful. We can’t thank her enough for all her assistance in helping us to pull off our dream wedding. It was an absolute pleasure... Read More working with her; she is amazing as is the rest of the staff! Everyone went above and beyond to make sure things went off without a hitch and everyone was having a great time. We didn’t have to worry about a thing, just be in the moment and enjoy our wedding day! Our guests are still raving about how incredible the food was and how gorgeous the venue is, especially the outside courtyard! We are incredibly happy that we chose this venue as it was the perfect day and we would not change a thing.

Reviewed on 10/06/2016 Ashlee B

Beyond amazing! We had our wedding at Il Tulipano on 9/18/16 and it was fantastic! Donald worked with us throughout the whole thing. He was extremely helpful and made planning simple. Our cocktail hour and sit down dinner blew our guests away.. and to be honest it blew us away... Read More as well. It was amazing, the food was delicious and beautifully presented. The staff was on top of their game and the maître d', Carol ran everything smoothly. Our bridal attendant, Sundea was such a help.. she us our drinks filled before we even finished them, she helped with my dress and veil, she was fantastic. I cannot thank her enough, my mother passed away a few years ago and Sundea was so caring, it was like I had a mom to help me on my wedding day. The grounds are gorgeous too, great for pictures. My husband and I could not have asked for a better venue. Il Tulipano gave us the best night of our lives and we are so grateful to them!

Reviewed on 9/25/2016 Terri M

We had our wedding at Il Tulipano on August 20th and it was the MOST amazing day ever! We got to work with Chris the entire process and he was so great with answering all of our questions and making us feel stress-free! He always had great suggestions and he helped us to stay... Read More organized with planning from start to finish. Our guests cannot stop talking about how delicious all of the food was and how beautiful the venue looked! Our maître d' and bridal assistant made the night go flawlessly. We honestly could not have asked for a more perfect wedding!!!!

Reviewed on 9/03/2016 Giovanna R

We had our wedding reception at il Tulipano two weeks ago and we were completely blown away!! We saw an ad in a magazine for il Tulipano and the Italian charm caught my eye, being from a large Italian family. My husband was skeptical based on the ad, but when we went to the... Read More venue to see it, we both fell in love with it. Chris Ryter was great throughout the whole process. He answered my daily e-mails and truly cared about giving us the best experience possible. Il Tulipano is a one wedding at a time venue, which was important to us. We had the entire premises to ourselves!! Our guests are still raving about our wedding. The food was incredible and bountiful, and the staff treated us like royalty. I had a bridal attendant who attended to our every need, which was incredibly helpful. We could not have asked for a better reception! We highly recommend il Tulipano!!

Reviewed on 7/23/2016 Jennifer O

il Tulipano was everything we could have dreamed of for our wedding! My husband's brother got married at il Tulipano 8 years ago with excellent feedback from all guests. When we were looking for a wedding venue, il Tulipano was at the top of our list. We originally did not... Read More think they fit in our budget, but we are so grateful everything worked out. Jessi is phenomenal! She answered all questions and emails immediately. She is organized and professional! Jessi checked in with us throughout our planning stage. A week before the wedding, Jessi checked in with us to make sure we had everything ready for our big day! The bridal attendant we had was exceptional! She was extremely professional. She made sure we sat and ate during the cocktail hour - we kept getting pulled away to chat with our guests, and she made sure she got us food to eat. When there was 10 minutes to the end of the cocktail hour, she was calm but adamant that we sat and ate - we were both grateful! She took off my veil and bustled my dress in seconds! She made sure we ate our dinner and throughout the evening, she made sure we always had full drinks. We truly believe she was instrumental in ensuring the evening was phenomenal! We picked up our personal items the next day - everything was packed up for us. They even wrapped up our cake and desserts! We cannot say enough excellent things about il Tulipano! They really gave us our fairy tale wedding day!

Reviewed on 7/20/2016 Nadia V

Il Tulipano is the perfect wedding venue! We had our wedding here on 6/26/16 and it was everything we hoped for and more. From the exceptional food, the outstanding service and beautiful venue. Our guests can't stop talking about how amazing the cocktail hour and viennese... Read More hour were. I also can't say enough good things about Chris and how helpful he was throughout the whole planning process and the day of. It shows that they really care about making your day as special as possible! I would recommend Il Tulipano in a heartbeat and wish that I could do my wedding day all over again!

Reviewed on 7/11/2016

My husband and I had our wedding reception here on July 3, 2016. We cannot say enough great things about il Tulipano. Our guests were beyond pleased as were we. Donald, Carol, Sunday, and the rest of the staff were so helpful. Everything was beautiful. The food was amazing... Read More and the cocktail hour was perfect.

Reviewed on 6/19/2016 Caitlin M

This venue was absolutely perfect for our wedding of about 170. The food is delicious, the space is beautiful, and the staff is amazing. We had such a great, stress-free night. Our guests keep talking about how good the food was, and how beautiful the venue was.

Reviewed on 4/26/2016 Nicole D

I don't even know where to begin- from the second we walked into Il Tulipano to see the venue- the people there went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable- we worked closely with Chris and he was truly amazing- we had an absolutely perfect wedding day from start to finish... Read More because of everyone at this venue- they went above and beyond- the food was amazing, the rooms were beautiful, and everyone who attended our wedding had nothing but amazing things to say! I would HIGHLY recommend this venue to anyone looking!

Reviewed on 4/05/2016

The food is over the top fab!!! Staff is just as great . I'm so happy we choose to have our wedding here and looking forward to have more events here. The outside is also perfect for pictures . All around best venue ever!!

Reviewed on 3/15/2016 Ashley C

We had a beautiful 80th Birthday party for my grandmother at the Il Tulipano and my family could not have been happier with the experience we had. The grounds were gorgeous and very easily accessible, which was great because a lot of our guests that day were elderly. As a large... Read More Italian family, we expect the food to be a big part of how well the party goes, and the chefs at this venue did not disappoint. Everything was excellent quality, very fresh and very delicious. I have to say that we were most happy with the service, which goes a long way when you are trying to make a party run smoothly. The entire staff was quick and efficient from start to finish. They helped arrange our centerpieces beforehand and even helped people pack them up to take home without any hesitation. The three staff members I was working with, Chris, Carol and Sunday, were all extremely helpful and they each went above and beyond to create a wonderful experience for my family. We truly appreciate the great customer service and will definitely be back again! Thanks everyone! :)

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Maria P

Memories that will last forever! Not only for me and my husband, but also for my guests who enjoyed the food and excellent service. The atmosphere was great, when a few of my guests arrived, as soon as they walked in the door they were amazed by the appearance of the place.... Read More Everyone kept telling me how beautiful the venue is. Everyone enjoyed the food so much; we never wanted the night to end! The dessert was phenomenal too, the bartenders know how to make a great drink and even the quality of their wine selection was exceptional. The staff is so friendly and on point with everything. Highly recommend this venue and everything on their menu! I have been to so many weddings at different venues and il Tulipano by far surpasses any other place I have ever been too. Thank you so much for making my day special. This is the real thing!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Stefanie S

People are still talking about how incredible the wedding was!!! I can’t believe it’s been over two months since our wedding and all of my friends and family keep talking about how lovely the food and staff was at il Tulipano. From the moment we arrived our bridal attendant made... Read More me feel right at home. We had our ceremony at a church and when we arrived there was a pleather of food in the suite waiting for us. Cocktail hour was sensational – lots of food, great variety, so flavorful – simply amazing. The ballroom was magnificent - the chavira chairs, the lightening, linens, everything was just perfect. The elegance was just perfectly matched by the food that was incredible. Still on cloud nine!!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Victoria N

Just got back from our amazing honeymoon and couldn’t wait to write this review! Still remembering how perfect and wonderful everything was for our wedding. From the most beautiful outside ceremony area, getting married under the pergola, and transitioning to the Piazza area... Read More where all of my guests had the choice to enjoy cocktail hour outside or inside. I can remember watching my family and friends taking group pictures by the waterfall, which is just one of the many places to take photos. During cocktail hour everyone enjoyed the outside tables with these beautiful umbrellas, outside bar, stations around the room inside and the butler d’oeuvres. The food is absolutely delicious, my family and friends are still raving about it! The ballroom is stunning and the service was to perfection. The room Viennese hour is in, wow – all the windows, couldn’t have been more perfect, except it was with all of the wonderful dessert stations! The entire team was so wonderful to work with and we can’t thank you enough for making our day so amazing and special!

Perfect Venue

Reviewed on 10/09/2015 Danitza V

If we had to get married again, we would definitely go with il Tulipano again. Greg and his staff created the perfect day/event for us. We had the ceremony right on their beautiful piazza and it was magical. The food, drinks, and service were fabulous. The staff took care of... Read More absolutely everything, we did not have to even think of anything that day because they were there to cater to our every need and with perfect attention to detail. The garden was beautifully taken care off. Everything was so clean and neat and everyone so gracious and professionals at this.

Reviewed on 10/03/2015

We could not be happier that we chose Il Tulipano as our wedding venue. My wedding was absolutely amazing and I loved my experience with Il Tulipano. The entire process was fantastic. Chris made the process smooth and effortless. He knew exactly how to deal with an extremely... Read More nervous bride and was always responsive to any questions or concerns. Chris, Jessie, and Donald were all wonderful, gave me guidance, and made me feel like they had everything under control. The day of our wedding everything went perfectly. Even when clouds started to roll in, they were prepared to start my outdoor ceremony 15 minutes early to beat the rain. It was also no problem or extra cost when they had to start my cocktail hour 20 minutes earlier then expected. Thea and Carol were truly great. No matter what we needed they were there. From helping me get dressed, to having our favorite foods already on our table during the cocktail hour, to reminding me to eat...I could honestly go on and on about how fantastic our day was made by the team at Il Tulipano. Our guests were raving over the food. We saw a friend a week later and he said he was still full from our cocktail hour. My husband and I are blessed to have had such a beautiful wedding made special by this unbelievable team. So many family and friends have told us that it was the best wedding reception they had ever attended. The food was so delicious. The dessert hour was so incredible I didn't know where to look first. Also, the pastry chef made our wedding cake exactly how I pictured it. It was not only beautiful, it tasted amazing. Their attention to detail and their charming demeanors are wonderful examples of why the staff at Il Tulipano is so impressive. We truly loved our day and couldn't be happier. Thank you, Trisha and Wayne Bishop

Reviewed on 10/03/2015 Kimberly H

We got married on 9-3-15 with our reception at Il Tulipano and it was a perfect day!!! We originally decided on this venue because of several key points: reputation, only one wedding at a time, excellent and plenty of food, beautiful grounds & superb service. I had been to a... Read More wedding there myself years earlier and it was one of my favorites. Our wedding day then became my favorite! All those reasons to book became the reason we would recommend to anyone else! Even though our salesman left, we had the owner and other associates pick up the slack. Carol, the maitre d' and Thea, my bridal attendant were so attentive to my wants and made the night flow seamlessly. We added the dessert room to our contract and it was an impressive touch to the last hour of partying. Our guests raved about how wonderful the wedding was. It was the best way to start a marriage! Thank you, Il Tulipano!!

Reviewed on 8/02/2015 Christopher P

We got engaged on the beach, most of our vacations involved the beach, and we practically had a second address at the beach. So when the time came for looking for a venue for our wedding the only natural thought that came into our heads was a beach wedding . . . fast forward... Read More half a dozen venues later we finally decided to listen to the Mother of the Groom to look at local venues. We did not expect to find anything we would like but then we went to il Tulipano and realized it was the place for us. From meeting with the staff the first time, to the amazing evening they provided for the food tasting event (every available options for the cocktail hours and deserts), to Christopher helping us plan and organize all the details of our big day they were exceptionally professional while still managing to maintain a personal touch which made us feel as if our wedding was their most important one. Come time for the rehearsal we were further they walked us through everything, making us feel confident and helped get rid of any day before jitters we had, knowing they would ensure a seamless ceremony. The wedding day was finally here and they made sure everything was perfect. The ceremony location was gorgeous, the flowers around the whole venue gave a wonderful welcoming feel to the whole occasion, and everything was beyond what our wildest dreams could imagine. The whole time ended up being a huge blur for us, but what we can remember, the exceptional staff (especially the bridal attendant and maître d’), as well as all the overwhelming comments from our guest of the best wedding we have been to, amazing food, gorgeous location, and on and on, we know we made the best decision to have il Tulipano help make our wedding into our Perfect Wedding. Words truly cannot describe how wonderful it was to have our wedding at il Tulipano!

Couldn't have been better!

Reviewed on 5/24/2015 Ally M

This was the first venue my husband and I made an appointment to see. They were very helpful in making sure we could see the venue at our convenience. Donald was who we worked with through out our process. He not only showed us around, but explained everything to us before I... Read More could even ask the questions I had prepared. We didn't look at many venues after il Tulipano because we knew that was where we wanted to have our wedding. Donald sat and explained pricing to us and all that it included. They allowed us to pay monthly, which was huge for us since we paid for everything. The day of the wedding, the venue was absolutely perfect! I had brought in all our additions (cake cutter, toasting glasses, flip flops, etc.) in 5 days before the wedding. They had everything exactly where it was supposed to be. They didn't hesitate to go out of their way to help with anything. The staff working was exceptional! Any time someone got up, they came back to a folded napkin. Our friends are STILL (2 months later) talking about the food! They had everything you can think of for cocktail hour and plenty of it! I personally loved that there was plenty of tables and seating during cocktail hour, because that is something I dislike at other venues we go to. We have also received countless compliments on the dinner. Many guests ordered the filet mignon from their choice of dinners and were surprised at how large the steak they received was. They were also confused as to why they didn't receive steak knives, only to learn it was so tender, you just needed a butter knife. At the end of the night, they had all the stuff I brought in for the wedding packed up for me and ready to go. I cannot begin to tell you how much I recommend this venue! They were spectacular in every way! My only wish is I can go to someone else's wedding there so I can enjoy it as a guest there as well.