Culinary focused luxury Finger Lakes Weddings

A gorgeous estate,110 acres of modern country elegance in the heart of Finger Lakes wine country is the perfect destination to host your dream wedding. Owned by a Culinary Institute of America Chef, the attention to details ensures a flawless wedding weekend to remember! "Love, Eat, Sleep."

• Outdoor - Covered

Backyard, Ballroom, Garden, Estate, Historic Venue, Hotel, Park, Restaurant, Tented, Vineyard

813 Auburn Rd, Groton, NY (607) 533-0097

Most Amazing Wedding Venue!

Reviewed on 7/08/2013 Jennelle M

If I could give this venue and its owner, John Hamilton, higher than five stars on everything, I would! From beginning to end, John made our wedding the most special weekend of our lives. Rather than just rave, I will break it down: Planning: John made the planning easy... Read More and seamless. He provided a vendor list that I found extremely helpful when it came to booking all the extras, like florist, DJ, etc. He always answered all of my (many) questions, either by email or phone, within a few days of sending them to him. We had a planning session via Skype since we were planning from New York City. John spent almost two hours with us, chatting and getting a feel for the wedding we wanted. Property: The Inn itself could not be more idyllic--it's a breathtaking backdrop for a wedding. The gardens were amazing and beautifully kept, plus there were lambs (!) roaming in the back. The rooms themselves are amazing--each one has its own character, with flat screens and jacuzzi tubs. John brought breakfast baskets each morning that had the BEST muffins in the world in them--most mornings the muffins were still warm when we got them. Day of: We had a short rehearsal the night before, and everything went off without a hitch. John's staff was warm and welcoming as well, and did a beautiful job setting up for the reception. Also, it was amazing that my bridesmaids and I got to relax up in the bridal suite until it was time to go down, and then John came to collect us. Food: THE FOOD! It was crazy good--not your normal wedding fare. We did three appetizers during cocktail hour and then the plated dinner, and everyone raved about the food (particularly the steak)! The cake was also amazing with buttercream and fresh strawberries. Service: The service at the reception was remarkable. The bartenders were personable and attentive, and there was never a long wait at the bar. The specialty drink was a perfect touch too. This place does not disappoint!!!

Beautiful Place, Takes Care of Everything

Reviewed on 7/26/2013 Katie R

John, Elizabeth and their staff take care of almost everything for the wedding, from coordinating, ceremony, reception, food, booze, cake. One of the best parts is all those things are taken care of in one place, giving you fewer people to deal with and fewer moving parts in... Read More the planning and execution. The real best part is it is a gorgeous place, perfect ambiance, great food, and great bar. Wouldn't change a single thing about any of that! During planning, the one frustration is John can be tough to catch with questions, even when it's close to the date, but even so you can trust that everything is totally taken care of and done well. For the area, this place is on the higher price end, but for what you get from it, it's totally reasonable. The place is unbelievable, the food definitely lives up to it's expectation, and the bar is high end. The staff is also very helpful, accommodating, and attentive (and fun).

Gorgeous setting & truly incredible food

Reviewed on 9/03/2012 David P

John, Elizabeth, and the rest of the staff at JJ&E did a fantastic job hosting our 100 person wedding in June 2008. We had several special requests, and John did everything and more that we asked. We found them to be friendly and flexible. Our wedding was outdoors, and the venue... Read More is lush and green: hedged garden, trees, apple orchard, and swings. John took care of details, both small and large. For example, we rented and erected an Indian wedding mandap (like a canopy with pillars), and John noticed and made sure that the ceremony tent was raised an extra few feet so that it and the platform would fit underneath. The best part was the food, which was absolutely delicious and unforgettable. Four years later, friends and family still mention our wedding buffet. John and Elizabeth are graduates of the Culinary Institute of America and, in our opinion, run the best kitchen in the Ithaca area. Many of our guests were from India, and half were vegetarians. John therefore developed a highly-customized menu for us and magnificently blended Indian flavors with his specialties. Here are a few items from our menu: - Mustard spiced seared pork tenderloin - Paneer and couscous cakes with cilantro jalapeno oil - Spiced eggplant sous vide with toasted cumin seeds - Cumin and chili crusted seared salmon with mango curry cream sauce - Spice rubbed lamb shoulder grilled and roasted, served with a curried ginger blueberry puree - Amazing seared tofu Elizabeth is the pastry chef and created an incredible tiered spiced carrot cake with cream cheese frosting crusted with candied walnuts. We tried to save the top layer of the cake for freezing, but it was too good: we ate it the next day. JJ&E is a small, family-run business. All contact will be with John, who is the chef and manager. Although he is relaxed and does not always return phone calls, John is a professional and excellent at what he does. He gave us a clear timeline of when things would happen, and he took care of things according to that timeline. Nothing fell through the cracks. The pdf package they provide on the website is clear, with tons of information and pricing details. There were no hidden charges, and we felt like we could trust John. We visited a dozen wedding sites in the Ithaca area, and JJ&E was the perfect one for us.

Reviewed on 9/10/2017 Erin D

It's hard to know where to even begin, but to start, we could not be any happier after getting married at the John Joseph Inn on 9.2.17...the day and the entire weekend at the Inn was better than we could have ever imagined! Before we get into the details, one of the best... Read More aspects about the Inn - especially for a wedding - is that your entire experience can feel more relaxed since you can stay overnight (in gorgeous, comfortable, decadent rooms), get ready with your bridal party, and then literally just walk right outside and get married in the beautiful gardens on the property. John and his staff (especially Ashley!) honestly makes you feel right at home immediately so that any nerves or wedding planning stress quickly melts away. We also decided to host our rehearsal dinner there which we highly recommend doing since the food, drinks and ambiance is fantastic. From the start, we loved John and his positive & humorous attitude, but he stepped it up a notch when it came time for our wedding weekend. He was so dedicated to our wedding & happiness that we honestly can't think of one thing that we would have changed. He was so much fun to work with, gave us great advice when we needed it, and gave us peace of mind since he has been in the wedding business for quite some time and really is a true expert. He wears many hats throughout the process (since he's both the owner/manager & chef) but he doesn't let anything slip through the cracks and will make sure your day is flawless. The food is incredible - huge portions, delicious/perfectly cooked entrees, AMAZING carrot cake (seriously our guests could not stop raving about all the food - we've been hearing constantly from our family & friends that it was the "best carrot cake I've ever had" "my steak was cooked perfectly" "the chicken was juicy and so delicious"), and John made our "food dreams" come true by surprising us during our cocktail hour with a specialized appetizer that he custom created for us because he knew it was a food we loved. The Inn is on a spectacular piece of property with manicured gardens, orchards, and a barn with horses and sheep, so both us and our guests had ample photo opportunities - again something that made it so easy for us since we didn't have to go off property and leave our guests during cocktail hour to shoot our wedding photos. As the day and night went on, the tent where receptions are held in, turned into an epic dance party and all the while John continued to make sure that all of our guests were taken care of and that everyone was having the time of their lives - which we sure did! All in all, John and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel like you're not just another wedding at the venue. The John Joseph Inn, John, and his staff made our 200 person wedding feel so intimate, beautiful, relaxed and SO. MUCH. FUN. We've already heard from many friends that it was the best wedding they've ever been to and our families (who stayed at the Inn for the weekend with us) are already talking about planning a future reunion there because they loved it so much! Thank you John, Ashley, and all the fabulous staff for making 9.2.17 a perfect memory <3

Reviewed on 6/01/2017

We came here for a graduation party on May 27, 2017. We were charged about $120/person after he added alcohol, tip and tax. One would expect very good food for that price. It was not even at the level that could be characterized as good. The appetizers were an uninspired... Read More slice of baguette with some mush on top. The meal was a dry, dull salad that had no discernible dressing, that everyone at our table complained about. Then I was served a minuscule piece of dry chicken, and my dinner-mates had pre-cooked rewarmed steak that was not fresh. Dessert was some sort of flavorless bread pudding. Nothing was good enough to even pass as "good." My kids can all cook better than this at this point, and none of them are Hotelies. The grounds are very nice, however. The owner was unreachable by phone for about a month in the winter months when our graduates were trying to arrange the meal there. When I tried calling him months in advance, he simply never returned calls. That was certainly a foreboding of the amateurishness of the place. When he finally does talk to you, he is a bit high strung and does not have a calm professional demeanor on the phone. He gives the impression he cannot navigate change or adapt easily. He needs a new chef, and some better menus. It was an absurdly tasteless and poorly executed meal. We ate better at Chipotle at lunch, believe it or not.

Reviewed on 3/28/2017 Kate S

My husband and I met John while looking at the John Joseph and Elizabeth Inn to host our wedding and reception. He seemed like a genuine, honest business man that wanted to give us the best experience that he could for our budget. We booked the venue 1 yr and 8 mos in advance,... Read More for our wedding on 8/12/17. In July of 2016 (over a year in advance), we had experienced financial turmoil, and called John to cancel our wedding. John answered, my husband introduced himself, and John said "oh yeah I haven't done anything besides put your name in the computer" and my husband said that wasn't a problem, because we would like to cancel the reservation. John refused to refund our deposit, even if the date were to be reserved by another couple. I realize that the contract says that the deposit will not be refunded, but our other vendors had the same wording within our contract, but refunded the deposit anyway because they already had inquiries for that date and it was so far in advance. We tried to compromise with him, saying that if he didn't book the date, we wouldn't expect anything back, but he refused. We were going to try to make our wedding a financial possibility again in January of 2017. I contacted John asking him where I could send the second payment. He replied, but we haven't heard from him since. If he really had intentions of hosting our wedding, he would have reached out to us. In our experience, this was poor business practice. I realize that he is trying to run a business, but there are better ways to do this than being greed driven and money hungry. We are very disappointed and will not be recommending this venue to any of our friends or family.

2017-06-30T12:18:59 Response from the vendor

Have you ever heard of the saying "don't judge someone until walking a mile in their shoes?" You explained that you experienced financial turmoils, but never pause to question why my methods are in place? I'm a small business owner, I do not run a... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/03/2016 Michael H

Just married July 2nd at the John Joseph Inn and it was amazing! Our theme was "vintage glamour" meets "old Hollywood." The early 20th century inn, manicured gardens, and countryside felt like we were hobnobbing with Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and The Roosevelts. John Joseph... Read More Hamilton, the proprietor and executive chef, describes himself as “the preppy farmer." He has great taste for architecture, food, decor, and even fashion. (He's well dressed) You aren't just renting the Inn, you are getting John. We met John when we toured the venue and knew that we could trust him with one of our largest purchases ever, our wedding. Things to note: - You can have both the ceremony and reception there. - Ceremony is in a garden or if it rains, inside the Inn. Cocktail hour is on the lawn and orchard. Reception is in a tent. - You have to use them for the catering, including the cake. Don't worry, food is outstanding! - You must rent all 6 guest rooms plus a 4 person cottage as part of the deal. - They also will do the rehearsal dinner if you choose (we did and it was great!) - The estate is private. You don't hear or see anyone other than your guests and the staff. - Your photographer will love shooting here! I wish we hired a day-of coordinator. John does a lot of the coordination but he's also running the kitchen. The groomsmen and I spent several hours unpacking and setting up decorations. The girls weren't able to do much as they needed a few hours to get ready. You also might not hear from John much beforehand, but trust that he will give you an amazing day! Overall it was a great experience! The John Joseph Inn has been open for about 8-9 years. They do one wedding a weekend. It might not be the most "well oiled machine" as far as venues go, but you won’t feel like you are in a wedding factory with two other weddings. I highly recommend booking here for farm-to-table food, privacy, unique classy venue, outdoor wedding, and the attention to detail.

Reviewed on 11/03/2015 Allison B

Highly recommend! Our wedding weekend was so special and carefree thanks to John and Elizabeth Hamilton! The venue is beyond beautiful and the food (including our wedding cake) was amazing!

Get married here!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Lauren D

I got married at the John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant, and from the moment we stepped foot on the property until the moment we checked out, post-wedding, the experience was phenomenal. We dealt directly with the owner, John Hamilton. John is straightforward--no... Read More shady business or hidden costs. We left our first meeting with a spreadsheet that clearly broke down costs, as well as a timeline of when we should expect to have things done. He truly cares about this business, and will work with couples to make sure their experience is nothing short of magical. The grounds consist of the Elizabeth Restaurant (we held the rehearsal dinner there. Its also available for brunch.), the John Joseph Inn (a luxurious bed and breakfast just across the driveway, with Jacuzzi tubs and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in), an arbor for the ceremony, a sweeping tent with chandeliers for the reception, an apple orchard and a sheep meadow. The most consistent compliments we got were about the food. John and Elizabeth, who did our cake, both graduated from the Culinary Institute of America. The carrot risotto with sriracha is one of my all time favorite dishes. All of the food was fresh, seasonal, and delicious. My husband and I were so excited that we wouldn't have to have the mass produced rubber chicken with limp vegetables that you find so often at weddings. The food here was a star rather than an afterthought. I could not have hoped for a better wedding experience. Trust John and know that he will work tirelessly to make your wedding incredible. You won't be disappointed.

Get married here!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Lauren D

Reviewed on 8/24/2015 Kim

Our wedding day could not have been more spectacular than it was. John and Elizabeth are truly the greatest. From the first time we met John we knew that this was our dream wedding venue. They are two of the most personable, down to earth, and multi talented people we have ever... Read More met. What makes their business stand out from the rest is their love for family. We didn't just get married on their property. We created irreplaceable memories with our closest family and friends. The food was top notch which was not a surprise as John and Elizabeth are both culinary experts. An exact quote from my uncle at the rehersal dinner who travels the world for business "I have had chicken all over the world and only 5% of people can really cook chicken perfectly. This is some of the best chicken I have ever had." The signature drinks were a hit and the cake, absolutely breathtaking (thank you Elizabeth!) John was very flexible when it came to logisitical matters. He also tweaked the menu to meet our requests. The property is immaculate which made for perfect photos. John was there for us every step of the way even up until I walked down the aisle. He was there to hold my dress as I walked through the garden. He took the time to get to know us which I strongly believe is the reason our day went perfectly. My husband Jon and I cannot thank John and Elizabeth enough for making the best day of our lives come true. What they do for people is a very beautiful thing. We will be back in the near future for a tasting and cannot wait to roll up their driveway to be greeted with huge smiles. What an amazing team John and Elizabeth make. Nothing beats having a private estate to yourself for an entire weekend without the interruption of other wedding parties. The staff was exceptional as well. They were friendly and very attentive to us and our guests. We have received dozens of messages from our families and friends saying "that was the best wedding we have ever been to!". All of our thanks, love and appreciation to you, John and Elizabeth! - Kim and John Kearney

Best day of our lives

Reviewed on 9/15/2014 Kim

I found this venue on theknot.com and I could not have been happier with it. I had the pleasure of working with John and Elizabeth for my wedding on September 13, 2014. They made my wedding day perfection. Their attention to detail and their hard work makes for a wedding to... Read More be remembered. My wedding day started off rainy, grey and gross... John and Elizabeth were determined to create a day that would still be perfection in my eyes with plan of doing the ceremony here or there, whatever would work best. As the weather cleared up they dropped those plans and moved the ceremony back outside. They and their staff set up my reception area to perfection, they made THE best food, they took care of the cake which was phenomenal, John was there to guide us through every step of the day, which made for a stress free bride and groom who were able to sit back and enjoy themselves. Having the rehearsal, ceremony and reception all in one place made for easy planning and created a home away from home for the weekend. Having our family and friends stay or stop by the Inn whenever they liked made for a relaxing and fun time. The grounds, arbor, Inn, cottage, restaurant and tent all made a lovely backdrop for our beautiful day, not to mention BEAUTIFUL photo opportunities. As my groom still sleeps from post wedding exhaustion I could not help but recount my wonderful wedding day and brag a bit about how wonderful it turned out thanks to John, Elizabeth and the wonderful staff they surround themselves with. If you didn't know about the John Joseph Inn before, You're Welcome because now you do!

Difficult to work with and anxiety provoking

Reviewed on 8/12/2014 Jackie R

I was married at the Inn in May. I had a fantastic wedding day, but this was because of my wonderful family and wedding party. The John Joseph Inn has great food and is beautiful, but thats about all it can be relied on for. John, the owner of the Inn, if very difficult to... Read More work with. When trying to contact him, I did not get a response for weeks after both emails and calls. This lasted right until my wedding day. I don’t think I can stress enough how difficult it was to get in touch with him throughout the process. When I could I would come up to the Inn from NJ, where he gave a lot of personal attention, but most of what he said would happen turned out to be empty promises once my wedding day came. On my wedding day, I was told I would just get to relax and sip champagne while I got ready. Instead, I had to worry about the tent being set up and had to provide John with second copies of information I had already given him. My bridesmaids spent a few hours out in the tent setting up the tables and space around it because John didn’t do it. When I tried to give him the decor I had, he walked away. I had a beautiful wedding day because of a fantastic support group. It was extremely stressful and difficult to plan with John and I can honestly say I would not wish that on any bride. I would love to give details and please feel free to contact me and ask for more information.

Wonderful!!!

Reviewed on 11/21/2013 Laura N

Although some reviews said John was hard to get a hold of (which can be true at times) he made the day of the event seamless. It was magical! All our expetations were exceeded! I can not say enought about the help and calm approach John took to everything. He fufilled all of his... Read More promises and more! From problem solving and being the go-between for all of our other vendors the day went off without a hitch. Trust that he is a professional and makes your wedding day amazing.

Dream come true

Reviewed on 8/19/2013 Jessica B

Having my reception at John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant was a choice I would make over and over again. The Inn and grounds are really gorgeous and well kept. John was out mowing all the lawns in the pouring rain the day before our reception when we arrived to make sure... Read More the grass would look just right the next night, and the rest of the weekend continued in that fashion. John, Elizabeth, and their staff went above and beyond what myself or any of my family could have anticipated. We were surprised first by adorable lambs and a beautifully in bloom sunflower field we didn’t expect, then breakfast baskets for all the girls getting ready delivered to each room, then nicely displayed and creatively infused liquors that were a huge hit with guests at the open bar! John was also able to execute my “pinterest heavy” ideas exactly as I had imagined without me worrying about anything except getting my dress on. He also did so much behind the scene to help move the night in the direction we wanted. During the planning process, be sure to be open with him about your ideas, and he will be able to tell you what will work and what won’t. And trust him, he really knows what he’s doing. Over a week has passed since the wedding, and I am still getting daily emails and messages from guests saying it was the classiest, best, most beautiful, awesome and fun, wedding and I received non-stop praise for the food too. Our cupcakes with a small cutting cake and late night taco bar… beautiful and delicious…OH MY GOSH! I really can’t say enough. If you want to get married in Ithaca, I would truly say to look no further than John Joseph Inn. Our wedding day here was a complete dream come true. As my seven year old cousin standing in the apple orchard said “we all went inside the biggest fairytale there is”. Thank you so much John and Elizabeth. –Jessica and Steve~ Aug 10, 2013 wedding

highly recommended for a great wedding!

Reviewed on 8/04/2012 Georgiana A

The John Joseph Inn gets high ratings from our experience for a couple of reasons. As the innkeeper, chef, and all-around go-to guy, John worked hard to give us the wedding of our dreams and succeeded with his attention to detail and high energy. John was a great partner with... Read More a lot of experience and a good vision of how the weekend should be structured, and he incorporated the special touches that were important to us. It was great to be able to relax knowing that we were in his capable hands, especially the day of the wedding. John was everywhere - managing his amazing staff in and outside of the kitchen, serving as wedding coordinator and MC, even holding the train of my dress! The grounds are beautiful, very well maintained, and have an elegant yet comfortable feel. The inn itself is quaint, classic, updated and exquisitely decorated. The beautiful tent is also worth mentioning - perfect size so all your guests feel close by, with chandeliers and a stone floor. John and his wife are chefs who planned an amazing local and seasonal meal (for the whole weekend) and everything was fantastic - especially the cake! All in all, John's enthusiasm for ensuring that each wedding is unique and runs smoothly, coupled with his expertise in managing the details, made for an amazing wedding weekend for us and our guests. The only drawback I would mention is that the hotels in Ithaca are a little distant from the Inn - so make sure that you can offer a shuttle for your guests.

Our Daughter's Dream Day

Reviewed on 8/02/2012 Margaret W

Our daughter's wedding was held here and it was a dream come true day! From our first planning appointment until the last champagne glass was empty, every detail was perfect. The site is gorgeous, the inn is luxurious, the food was incredible and the service was impeccable! John... Read More and Elizabeth were attentive throughout the entire planning stage and their menu was creative and innovative. Our guests were treated like royalty and most importantly, our daughter's dream day was everything we could have possibly hoped for!

Great the day of...

Reviewed on 7/27/2012 Nicole M

I loved the John Joseph Inn on first sight (which happened to be during a tornado). It really was the perfect place to get married, and I don't anything like it in Ithaca or the surrounding areas (or at least nothing that we found, and we did a lot of research). The day itself... Read More was perfect - John and his wife Elizabeth, the owners of the Inn, really do such a nice job on the day of the wedding, and we received SO many compliments on the food, the staff, the atmosphere (and this was during the weekend where it was over 100 degrees in Ithaca, so our wedding was WARM to put it mildly) and I can't envision us having our reception in any other place. That said, dealing with John in advance of the wedding (we didn't meet Elizabeth until the wedding weekend) was often a frustrating process. John is a "personality" - he's funny, and warm when you meet him in person, and you think things are going great when you're together, but if you're planning your wedding from afar (like we were), when you're not in John's immediate presence, you can feel like some things slip through the cracks: we frequently didn't receive responses to our pre-wedding inquiries, which didn't do much to make us feel comfortable in the lead up to the wedding, and when he did respond, he forgot many of our conversations (e.g. that we had even booked our wedding date with him)! So I want to make our rating clear - the JJE is a 5 star establishment on the day of the wedding, but planning the wedding, in our experience, unfortunately wasn't. Notwithstanding the foregoing, John and Elizabeth really go out of their way to make your wedding day extraordinary on the day of. A year later, if I could do it all over again with them, I would.

Cloud Nine

Reviewed on 7/09/2012 Alison C

When choosing our venue, it did not take long for my then fiance and I to agree that the beautiful landscaping, gardens, and relaxed feel of the outdoor ceremony and reception area was exactly what we wanted. John is very professional and he is very good at what he does. If you... Read More just put your trust in him, he will out perform your highest expectations! My husband and I are still floored at the thought of how amazing the day went because of John and Elizabeth and the staff. The service was fantastic, not only on the day of the wedding, but the cleaning staff, and the delicious breakfast that was delivered to our rooms every morning. The grounds were gorgeous, manicured perfectly. The rooms in the Inn are unbelievably beautiful and charming. Since John and Elizabeth are both graduates from CIA, the food was no exception to our wonderful experience with the Hamiltons. The cake and cupcakes were delicious, and beautifully displayed. I can not say enough good things about our experience working with the Hamiltons. My parents and my husbands parents are amazed and so increadibly pleased with how well taken care of we all were for our entire stay. I don't think any of us could have dreamed of a better wedding. Thank you John, Elizabeth, and all of the staff at The John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant, you all did a fabulous job, and we will be raving about you for years to come! We will be back to visit for sure!

Best food in the finger lakes!

Reviewed on 7/02/2012 Mayra V

The grounds at the John Joseph Inn are spectacular and make the perfect backdrop for wedding pictures. The food is amazing!!! We had a few guests with dietary restrictions and John was able to accommodate all their needs. It has been one month since the wedding, and we are still... Read More hearing great reviews from our friends and family on the food. John, his wife, Elizabeth, and their staff provide such great service that I would recommend the John Joseph Inn to anyone looking to get married in the Finger Lakes area!

Horrible Wedding Experience

Reviewed on 2/09/2012 Michelle B

My fiancee and I visited the John Joseph Inn during August 2011 and booked our wedding for 13 months later with the requested deposit. We then proceeded to put all the other event pieces in place, including Church, photographer, flowers, music, makeup, hotels, transportation.... Read More With 90% of the planning done we were extremely surprised to receive a call in January 2012 from John Hamilton saying that he had gone through computer updates just before our first meeting last August and had us down for two dates in the computer. After verifying the date we had requested, John informed us that another couple had put their deposit down before us for that weekend. He had double booked and took FIVE months to figure it out and let us know. On the day we found out, John stated multiple times that this had never happened before, that he would do anything to make it right, that it made him sick to his stomach and that he would refund us our initial deposit and any other vendor deposits lost due to change of date or venue. I asked him if he could recommend another suitable venue in the area since I had a 200 person wedding planned. His response to me was "no I really can't" and pompously implied that no other venue matched the class of the John Joseph Inn. With the venue booked for our date and John's attitude less than helpful we asked for our deposit back and provided a list of other vendors whose deposits would be affected. This is when John began to backpedal contacted our vendors without letting us know what he was doing. After attempting to "make a deal" with each of our vendors, John presented us with a new wedding date that was agreeable to him, the florist, makeup artist and a completely DIFFERENT church. Our vendors were upset, we were upset, and we were appalled that he would even do something like that. With all the balls in motion, we could not change our date and told him that we wanted our money back. Ten days later we received simply a check for solely the John Joseph Inn deposit. John Hamilton did not have the professionalism to provide a note, to follow up, or to carry through on his initial offer to cover our losses with other vendors. We ended up having to go back to step one to find a venue and resulted in moving our wedding 150 miles away in order to meet our needs because there was not another location to accommodate our reception size on that date. Fortunately most of our other vendors were understanding and helped out. We did though lose plenty of our own time and money and are extremely disappointed in John's handling of the situation before, during and after. I would not recommend this as a wedding venue to anyone that wasn't willing to deal with a pompous, unprofessional service.

Outstanding.

Reviewed on 10/23/2011 Rose C

John performed excellently for our wedding. The ceremony site was well manicured and perfect for our wedding. The cocktail hour area was beautiful and provided a superb setting for the guests to enjoy the Signature Cocktails (spiked cider was amazing). The outdoor tent was... Read More simple but elegant. The interior was adorned with a linen ceiling and linen around all of the columns. It provided a great setting for a romantic wedding. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous. The food was absolutely delicious. Cocktail hour provided three treats - beef tenderlion, crabcakes and caprese salad. All were hits! Dinner was ribeye, scallops and chicken - all also delightful. Every guest had nothing but compliments. The inn provided a comfortable setting for the evening and he had the most delicious pancakes the next day for our brunch. John made the experience unforgettable. Photos are fantastic as his place provides an excellent backdrop.

Amazing!

Reviewed on 10/05/2011 Pippy D

My wedding here was absolutely amazing! Everything from the rehearsal dinner to brunch was executed perfectly. My husband and I received so many compliments from our guests on everything from the beauty of the venue to the food to attention they received from the staff. The... Read More landscape is truly stunning and makes you feel like you are living a fairy tale. John and Elizabeth know what they are doing; it may seem like a small operation, and it is, but this place proves that OUTSTANDING things come in small packages; the staff was fantastic; accommodating, sweet and great sports with all of our guests. The food was to die for-I don't even know how to explain what an amazing talent Elizabeth is. You will not be disappointed with any course! The entire weekend feels like a blur, but it was the happiest blur of my life and a large part of that is thanks to everyone at the John Joseph Inn. I could not have been happier with my wedding and would absolutely recommend this place to anyone looking for a dream wedding.

We Loved Our Wedding at the John Joseph Inn

Reviewed on 10/01/2011 Emi K

John and Elizabeth Hamilton run a beautiful inn and restaurant with gorgeous grounds including an orchard and gardens. As a wedding venue it cannot be beat and the level of professionalism and service provided was exceptional. My husband and I were excited about planning our... Read More wedding there from the beginning, and John made the entire process easy and stress free. He and Elizabeth have clearly mastered the art of pulling of a fabulous party. There were many aspects of planning that I wanted to ensure happened a certain way, but John made it clear that he understood our vision, and to trust him. For your average bride that can be scary but seriously, John knows what works and when he tells you to trust him, you should. In the end, we were able to let John and Elizabeth take care of so many of the details that we were able to truly enjoy the planning and ultimately our party without worry. The wedding food, including the beautiful cake created by Elizabeth, also exceeded expectations and most of our guests mentioned how much they adored the food and dessert. Besides providing full service, stress free planning along the way, an experienced opinion, attention to detail, amazing food, and a beautiful inn and grounds, John and Elizabeth clearly hand select their servers and bar tenders. Everyone we interacted with was professional, polite, and warm. The John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant is a breathtakingly beautiful yet unpretentious wedding venue with service and professionalism to back it all up. My husband and I were just thrilled with our experience and highly recommend John and Elizabeth! Go visit the restaurant for dinner in the off season and you wont be disappointed.

Best Wedding Ever

Reviewed on 9/27/2011 Lauren L

John Joseph Inn is the best place in the capital district to have a wedding. I was thrilled with everything, especially the food. My guests all told me that this was the "best wedding ever," and I would not change a thing about it. The inn is absolutely gorgeous, the setting... Read More is wonderful, and am I so glad that I chose to have my wedding here.

John Hamilton

As the Chef and Owner I am focused on memorable culinary experiences. I approach weddings from a different angle to ensure that all of your guests walk away saying "that was the best wedding I've ever been to". A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America with years of experience traveling the country opening restaurants from Napa Valley, DC, Philly, Coastal Maine and the Hudson Valley I bring modern trends and techniques based on sustainable farm to table operations. I am also a farmer and raise chickens, sheep and grow produce on the estate. This is my passion, not just a business!