Karl Verkade Photography

All Southern California plus destination weddings

Moments & Stories Remembered

I believe in storytelling…people, moments, love. When you get your photos back from your wedding day, I want you to feel the love that will only ever exist between the two of you. For every gorgeous bouquet photo, there should be a shot of laughter. For every ring and centerpiece picture, there needs to be a shot of grandma dancing with the bride. And for every catalog-Best-of-The-Knot-cover photo, there has to be the beautifully imperfect shot of the two of you laughing at a moment that you’ll remember forever.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Printed Enlargements, Printed Proofs, Wedding Albums, Photo, Same-Day Edits, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

All Southern California plus destination weddings (949) 698-8975
INSTAGRAM

Most Amazing Photographer in the Universe!!!

Reviewed on 9/15/2014 katherine l

I will never ever stop raving about Karl and his skills. He is the perfect balance of professional and personal. Karl spent a lot of time at our wedding and felt like a part of our family. Our photos are nothing short of perfection. Our friends and family all wish they would... Read More have had him at their weddings and special events. You would be lucky to have the experience of having Karl photograph all of your life's special memories. Thank you Karl for everything, you are an amazing and talented human being. We will see you soon at our next big life event.

2014-09-21T10:03:09 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Katie! I had such an awesome time at yours and Beau's wedding. You guys were amazing to work with, and it was definitely one of the most fun and genuine group of people I've ever met. Thanks for letting me be... Read Less Read More

Could not ask for a better photographer

Reviewed on 5/08/2014 Alisa B

Karl is an amazing photographer. I have bugged him with silly requests and questions, he's always been quick to respond and gets it done! I cannot express how grateful we feel to have such beautiful photos. It truly does help that you can tell that he loves what he does &... Read More takes pride in it. Our visions for what we wanted in photos were all there and then some. Do the right thing, hire him!!! :) Best decision ever made.

2014-09-25T09:55:42 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much, Alisa! You and Joel were so much fun to work with. It was a beautiful wedding, and that Napoleon Dynamite first dance is still the best thing I've ever shot. :)

Fantastic!

Reviewed on 5/01/2014 Tabitha H

Absolutely fantastic. Got a package deal with free engagement session with our wedding photography. Came to San Diego three different times (initial consult, engagement sesh, and wedding), although we offered to drive up one of the time (he wanted to check out the venue for... Read More photo ops). Great to work with and definitely went out of his way to make our photos amazing. Absolutely beautiful engagement pictures. All of our family and friends commented on how wonderful they were (we made our wedding guest book out of them). During our wedding you wouldn't have known he was there unless you looked, he never got in the way of our moments, but you could tell he was capturing them. Got all the family and bridal party shots we wanted and more and was QUICK! Great personality, funny and very easy to work with! Even quietly pulled us out of the venue for a few shots at sunset (I definitely was too immersed in the night to remember to watch for the sunset). Worked all day with us, and still looked like he wanted to take a million more pictures at the end of the night. LOVED working with him and absolutely amazing photographer within our budget!!

2014-09-26T10:10:28 Response from the vendor

Hi Tabitha, it was such a pleasure working with both of you at your amazing wedding. I had a great time amongst just a super group of people. You guys were awesome, and thanks so much for the review!

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Pamela D

Karl was amazing! We just received our pictures back from the wedding and we were blown away. Karl also did our engagement pictures, which were just as stunning. He is so easy to work with and we really appreciated his laid-back and professional approach on the day of the... Read More wedding. We were even ahead of schedule! The icing on the cake (wedding pun intended) is his pricing...he is incredibly affordable, and you get way more than you pay for. I cannot recommend Karl enough!

2017-06-16T13:28:37 Response from the vendor

Thank you guys so much!! Your wedding was so beautiful...and so much love from everyone attending. Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

Reviewed on 5/19/2017 Marissa C

Karl photographed our wedding in December and we couldn't be happier with how our photos turned out! He was very flexible and easy to work with and his crew was so friendly, we felt so comfortable with him and his assistant. We received more photos than expected, he was able to... Read More work with our budget, and really went above and beyond on the day of as to not miss any details. Thank you Karl for giving us such beautiful lasting memories!!

2017-05-30T11:21:56 Response from the vendor

Thank you guys so much! Your wedding was so filled with love and great people...we couldn't be more honored to have captured the memories for you guys. All the best to both of you!! Sincerely, Karl

Reviewed on 4/17/2017 Jessica P

I found Karl through the Knot and after our first meeting I knew he would be the perfect photographer for our wedding! Karl offered great package options and great rates too! Karl and his assistant were very professional the day of the wedding and got a great variety of shots.... Read More He even sent me a preview of some of our pictures before we even left for our honeymoon. With as amazing as the preview photos came out I cannot wait to see the rest.

2017-04-24T12:52:32 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!! Your guys' wedding was simply beautiful, and the love was unparalleled. Thank you guys and I will be in touch with all the rest from your gorgeous wedding. Sincerely, Karl.

Reviewed on 4/15/2017 Catherine L

OMG! I'm so happy my hubby found Karl=) People spend so much time and money on weddings...the moment flies by in an instant and the night can just be a big blur. The photos are so important. It's the most memorable thing you have to look back on and cherish forever. You need a... Read More good photographer! Friends sent me their cell phone pics but it just not the same. Hiring Karl was truly the best investment we put into the wedding. He captured all the little details from the decorations to the joy on our guest faces...I LOVED all the natural moment shots. He has an eye and gift to get those special money shots. Every pic was so perfect. I hate being the center of attention and taking photos but he and his assistant make you feel so comfortable. If you want those moments captured of that fairy tale wedding you dreamed of and Hallmark looking photos Karl is your guy! I've seen many photos of other weddings I've attended and they are just standard and boring. Karl's shots show emotions, feelings, and life to it. You will not be disappointed. Thank you so much Karl! I'm going to refer you to all my friends and family.

2017-06-19T13:13:32 Response from the vendor

Oh my gosh, thank you guys so much! This review is everything I strive for in my photography. This is why I do what I do! So that you guys can remember those feelings for a lifetime. Thank you guys again, it was an honor!... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/19/2017 Shae F

We seriously loved having Karl as our photographer for our New Year's Eve wedding. He was amazingly fun to work with, easy to communicate/plan with, and helped minimize the stress of the day with his easy-going nature. We ended up with some wonderful photos...he even used the... Read More rain to his advantage to get some great unique shots, in addition to some of my favorite candid pictures of my step-daughter, niece and nephews. Thank you so much Karl! I feel so lucky that we found you!

2017-04-10T14:45:21 Response from the vendor

I absolutely loved your guys' wedding! What a beautiful night, and we had so much fun capturing it! :) You guys were awesome.

Reviewed on 2/13/2017 Dierdre M

THIS GUY! Karl was the first vendor I booked when I began the long journey of booking wedding vendors. He was suuuuuuch a pleasure to work with! He was funny, real and professional and even enjoyed a hard cider with my then-fiance and I after taking our engagement photos up in... Read More Julian, CA. Our wedding went without a HITCH! Karl showed up early and made sure to get all the shots that we were looking for. In light of our wedding being on a weeknight in November AND being fairly intimate, he treated our wedding just like any other. We received our photos today and my husband and I couldn't stop 'wow-ing' and 'aw-ing' at each and every photo. His second shooter was also such a pleasure to work with as well. Overall, we are very pleased with Karl and his photo-expertise! Thanks Karl, you deserve all The Knot awards you receive!

2017-02-21T09:21:40 Response from the vendor

Thank you guys so much! Yours was such a once-in-a-lifetime wedding, and I was honored to capture it for you. All the best to both of you!!

Reviewed on 1/19/2017 Maria A

Karl was the best! My fiance and I had a great time taking our engagement pictures at Laguna Beach with Karl. Although, we were shy at first, we quickly became comfortable when he helped and guided us how to pose and all the beautiful backgrounds were easy to set the stage. Karl... Read More took his time on every photo and was so passionate to make it perfect for us! All of us were wet with the huge waves surrounding us. We did not mind taking a few risks getting tossed with the waves and the photos came out AMAZING!! I want to thank Karl for his passion to take such gorgeous pictures and which made us feel truly special!! We have received endless compliments on our engagement photos! He is reasonable and works with you every step of the way. Only wish we had met him sooner for our wedding photos.

2017-03-05T12:47:10 Response from the vendor

Wow, it was just so great to work with you guys! What an adventure, and you guys were amazing.

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Sophia Z

Karl was absolutely amazing. My husband and I met multiple photographers prior to our wedding and Karl was by far the easiest to get along with. We met up with him for our engagement photos at a park in RSM. My then fiance and I had zero time in front of a camera and he made us... Read More look like professional models. Not only that, but he truly captured our love for each other in our sweet and silly moments. Fast forward to our wedding day and I couldn't have asked for a better photographer. He showed up with the second photographer and went right to work. I never felt like I needed to ask him to take certain shots or like he was in the way. He just did his work effortlessly. We decided to do first look and are so grateful that we did. He captured one of the most intimate moments in our lives with such grace and beauty. The entire wedding was shot perfectly, none of the guests even noticed he was there. But when you needed him to be there he was! It was truly a pleasure working with Karl and I would recommend him to anyone who wants to be able to enjoy their wedding and trust that the right shots are being taken.

2016-12-05T11:32:08 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much...brought tears to my eyes. Your wedding was absolutely spectacular, and Laura and I were humbled to be able to witness and document the love you guys have for each other. All the best to both of you!!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Samantha S

Karl is THE BEST. From the moment my husband and I met him we knew he was our wedding photographer. We customized a package perfectly to what I needed and he even went above and beyond. My husband and our bridal party felt so comfortable in front of the camera with him and the... Read More photos turned out amazing. I will never stop recommending Karl to future brides!!!! Thanks Karl :)

2016-12-08T11:38:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!! The love the you guys and your friends had was something special, and we were honored to be a small part of it!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Anissa V

Karl is outstanding t what he does. He can make a picture speak to you in ways you never thought it could. Not only did he capture the best moments of our wedding but he was super easy to work with and so accomodating. He is such an overall good person and his attention to... Read More detail is top notch. He made us feel so comfortable in front of the camera and we are more than happy with the quality of his photos. Thank you, Karl, for doing such an amazing job on oir wedding pics! I would recommend Karl over and over again! Simply the best photographer out there!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Laura B

Karl is the best! He captured all of the posed photos we wanted as well as some awesome candids! We only wish we had remembered to take a photo with him because by the evening he felt like a friend :)

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Antony B

Everyone....Karl is so good that my wife and I were literally screaming when he sent us our album. See below for the e-mail I wrote him. HIGHLY recommended Karl, Karl, Karl. Where do we start? The reason why you haven't heard back from us in 4 days is because we have been in... Read More complete and utter AWE of our wedding photos. They are truly AMAZING! Madeleine and I have been gazing through them non stop, falling more and more in love with them after each photo. Your work is stunning. You were able to capture the most important moments, all while telling a beautiful love story. We have been inundated with compliments about your work. I cant stay enough about how satisfied we are. You exceed all of our expectations and we are very grateful to you. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Karla S

Karl is so talented, and laid back, and kind. We had a smallish, intimate wedding, and he STILL managed to blend in seamlessly, make me and all my guests feel completely at ease, all while delivering stunning (and not too "overly produced") images. Cannot recommend enough.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Caitlin W

Honestly the best photographer. He made us so happy with our engagement photos that we were at ease when it came to wedding photos! He is the best ever and so easy to work with! Also recommended a great videographer to us. If you are looking for a wedding photographer definetpy... Read More gonwith Karl, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed on 8/20/2016

Karl was such a pleasure to work with! He captured moments from our engagement and wedding that brought our fairytale to life! We are floored by his prowess. He has incredible work ethic, quick response times, beyond reasonable pricing, and last but certainly not least he has a... Read More pure knack for photography. The photos looked like an artist painted them and he even had an eye for all those natural kodak moments throughout the course of the evening. We highly recommend him and can't wait to see where his career takes him! Keep it up Karl! You are a legend!!

Reviewed on 7/29/2016 Angela C

I can't even begin to give Karl all the credit he is due. With this limited space, there's no way I would be able to do him justice. I was very much a Type-A bride who didn't really enjoy wedding planning (eloping was fine with me!) and who just wanted to get it done...quickly... Read More and PERFECTLY. Our wedding was in May and I started booking vendors in September. My fiancé and I lived in Seattle but we were getting married down in Disneyland, CA. So in addition to the wedding drama and bridal jitters, I now have to plan a wedding, which clearly, I had no experience with, without the benefit of seeing the venue or interviewing the vendors. In fact, I had to count on the vendors to really know what they were doing and to help me out, as opposed to vice-versa. I fired off dozens of emails a day and on day one of hunting for vendors, I knew Karl was my photographer. I had never been more certain in any stage of my wedding before of after this moment. If I had nothing, I had a good photographer, that I was sure of. And this is saying a lot since I was the girl on Amazon who compared every star, review, and penny. In our entire wedding, I really had no high expectations nor was I really excited about any specific aspect...except for Karl, which I enthusiastically shared with family and friends when they asked about planning. Karl replied emails almost instantly (same throughout the rest of the ten months of me constantly emailing) and his answers were always friendly, precise, and clear. His price was clearly way beyond reasonable and wayyyyyy UNDERPRICED for his work. His personality was stunning and engaging and charming and he made us feel relaxed (and me reassured) instantly. His business was amazing with absolutely zero hoops or red tapes or small prints. His photo qualities are AMAZING. Karl was more than happy to work with us, flexing his prices since we didn't need the engagement package and could pay cash immediately in one payment. He helped me way more than once with details of our wedding (since we were states away), he was ecstatic to take time out to meet us when we finally flew down for a day and worked with our schedules. He even recommended a videographer for us (again, planning from states away, we could use help!) who was equally awesome who produced the most amazing video for us (I cried. And I don't cry). Karl was the reason why we can look back at the memories of our wedding day fondly. There weren't many things I was sure and certain of for our wedding (my own parents' attendance included), but from day one, there was one thing I was completely 100% certain of and that was Karl, his passion, his talent, his skills, his personality...his everything. He was super chill, friendly, and kind, and did not sweat over any details that large companies would. We only paid for 400 photos but he ended up sending us more than 700 as opposed to deleting them (we've worked with companies that charged us $80 per extra photo otherwise, they just deleted them). We weren't able to provide a meal, though we were happy to pick up snacks for him, and he told us to take care of ourselves and he will take care of himself. My only wish was that he was in Seattle, where I could broadcast him to all of our friends because he is THE ONE. Look no further. Karl isn't "just" a "vendor". He is your ticket to having a perfect wedding day, a friend, a person to help out, and frankly, in a mix of personal/professional - a friend you can count on.

2016-09-14T09:15:59 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, guys! Your fairy tale wedding was beautiful, and I was so blessed to be a small part of it. All the best to you in your lives together!!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Erin P

Okay so this is WAY overdue (Wedding was in February) and it's only because I keep forgetting to write a review whenever I sit at a computer. Let me just start by saying that Karl is AWESOME! Seriously, how often do guests compliment your photographer weeks after the wedding?... Read More Not only were the packages extremely competitive and affordable, but he is an amazing photographer and I couldn't have chosen a better one for our wedding day. We mainly picked him because my husband and I both loved the candids in his collection. Anyone can use a point and shoot camera while everyone poses for pictures but I wanted someone there who could capture the moments. Even though he managed to get pretty much everything, he was never in anyone's way/blocking views/etc. We got our photos back earlier than expected, and they were all top notch. And did I mention he included more pictures than what our package originally called for? AMAZING customer service and an all around great guy. Thank you so much for helping make our wedding day special! - Erin and Matt

Reviewed on 3/24/2016 Annie C

We had Karl do our engagement and wedding photos and we could not be happier. He made us feel at ease, always responded right away to our questions, and was fun yet professional every step of the way. With how unobtrusive he was with the ceremony and reception, we could not... Read More believe all of the great shots he managed to capture. We are very pleased with the photos and would (and have!) recommend Karl to anyone. Thanks again Karl!

Reviewed on 3/19/2016 destiny

Wow, we met karl a little while back, for a wedding we've planned for December 4th of 2014. in was in the beginning of that year. My husband had found him, and just seemed like we HAD to meet him lol. When we spoke with Karl, he came to us, a lot of venders have you meet at... Read More their facility, or closer to. immediately I fell in love! I soon realized why we HAD to meet with him. we spoke about of vision and what we wanted, the theme of the wedding and he just loved it. He made us feel comfortable, and understood what we wanted. we had our engagement photos done and wow! just couldn't wait til we got married! Unfortunately my husband had gotten sick and we had to postpone the wedding. a little over a year later. And Karl voiced his concern, not with us postponing his business, but for my husband. Really made sure he knew how my husband was doing and throughout his recovery. Just made it even better knowing we had such a caring and loving photographer that wasn't worried if he was going to get paid, but rather that we were okay. We had a wedding Jan, 2 of 2016, and wow. he sent us our photos, and words cannot express how much we fell in love! the action shots, the memoires the whole thing! definitely can tell there was so much that went into the wedding photos!

Reviewed on 2/09/2016

I cannot begin to thank Karl enough for the amazing job he did! I absolutely LOVE our wedding pictures. He was always prompt in responding to emails and arrived on time for our meeting as well as our wedding day. I cannot stop looking at our beautiful photos. Thanks again Karl!

2016-03-04T18:34:00 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!! Your wedding was gorgeous and all the absolute best to both of you!

Reviewed on 12/26/2015 Lindsey J

Karl is amazing! He captured our wedding perfectly and I cannot stop looking at our pictures! He was so accommodating and so laid back which was perfect for us. And what you get for the price is amazing. I feel like our pictures look like we spent thousands and thousands of... Read More dollars!! They have the perfect combination of vintage and artistic feel to them which was exactly what I wanted! Thank you Karl so much for capturing these memories for us to cherish for a lifetime!

2016-01-26T09:13:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Lindsey! You guys had the perfect wedding, and I was so happy to be there helping capture it. You deserve all the best!!

Reviewed on 12/25/2015 Abbey M

Karl thank you for the stupendous job you did on our wedding pictures. I was extremely impressed with the album. You were able to capture our favorite pictures and place them in the album without our input. What can I say about the musical slide show, you were able capture our... Read More favorite songs and place them on the slide show, I was impressed with your attention to detail. Thank you for everything, you made our special day very memorable and fun. Kyle and Abbey

2016-03-10T15:47:34 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Kyle and Abbey! I loved your wedding, and you guys were awesome. One of the most fun group of guests ever, too!! Congratulations!

Karl

I'm Karl...married to a beautiful girl, living at the beach, and spending my life meeting new couples and telling their wedding stories. I've been photographing weddings for about 5 years and 300 weddings now, and still loving every minute of it. Blessed and honored to have been voted Best of The Knot for 3 years running.