La Valencia Hotel

LA JOLLA, CA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

La Valencia Hotel is located in located off of the beach in sunny La Jolla, California. It is located along a picturesque stretch of the pacific ocean, right above the La Jolla Cove. The hotel itself features distinctive Mediterranean architecture with an easy to spot pink exterior. The grounds feature lush foliage including colorful flowers and towering palm trees. There are a number of romantic indoor and outdoor spaces available for wedding parties and receptions.

The Garden. The Garden at La Valencia Hotel is a picturesque location for an outdoor wedding ceremony. Surrounded by flowering plants and well manicured hedges, this space offers pool and ocean views. There is enough room to seat up to 150 guests on the grassy lawn and couples can say their vows under a ceremonial arch with the sparkling ocean behind them.

The Verandah Ball Room and Terrace. The Verandah Ball Room and Terrace offers sweeping views of the La Jolla coastline. A black and white marble foyer with crystal chandeliers create an elegant yet inviting atmosphere. This 3,000 square foot space can accommodate up to 175 guests with plenty of room for a dance floor. If guests start to get warm, they can step out onto the terrace for some fresh air.

The MED and Patio. The MED and Patio is an indoor and outdoor space that features views of the beach and La Jolla Village. It is an intimate space that can accommodate up to 80 seated guests or 150 standing guests.

The Galeria. The Galeria is an ideal space for small receptions or rehearsal dinners with 50 guests or fewer .The decor is charming and sophisticated, with bright colors that compliment the natural sunlight. Large arched windows overlook the La Jolla coastline.

La Valencia Hotel offers a variety of accommodations for out of town guests and newly married couples who want to stay overnight. There are standard guest rooms, suites and private villas available. During spring and summer months these rooms fill up quickly, so it is a good idea to book them well in advance of the wedding.

This venue provides all food and beverage services for weddings and there is a required food and drink minimum. There is a professional catering staff on site and they can work with couples to create a customized menu that includes dishes for people with dietary restrictions.

La Valencia Hotel insists that wedding parties enlist the help of one of their professional wedding coordinators. The coordinator is the main communication point between the wedding party and the vendors supplying amenities for their wedding. On the day of the wedding the coordinator supervises the setup process and stays through the entire event to ensure that everything is in order.

La Valencia Hotel is a beautiful beachfront location that offers wedding parties a number of extra perks.

• Direct access to the beach
  • Heated swimming pool
  • 18 hole golf course
  • Laundry and dry cleaning services available
  • On site spa with massage services

Extraordinary elegance and distinctive style.

Intimate courtyards and breathtaking La Jolla sunsets. Unique architecture and extravagant touches. Set against the backdrop of the sparkling Pacific, La Valencia has proudly played hostess to special occasions and celebrations for nearly 87 years.

Ballroom, Waterfront, Historic Venue, Hotel

Bar + Drinks, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

Bow2008 09

1132 PROSPECT ST, LA JOLLA, CA (858) 551-3712
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 1/18/2017 Ivy S

My husband and I both live in San Diego but most of guests were coming from out of town for the wedding. We wanted to have the quintessential San Diego wedding in a location where guests would not need a car. La Valencia met those requirements but the overall experience of our... Read More wedding day was so much more than that. We got married in November and the weather was perfect as it often is in San Diego. The guests from the east coast were all awed by the beautiful hotel, the weather, and basically set up shop at the pool for weekend. The hotel really is a beautiful venue with the outdoor courtyard overlooking the ocean for the ceremony and the reception area with the outdoor balcony. I can not think of a more ideal spot for wedding pictures as we took pictures all over the hotel as well as going down to the ocean cove for seaside pics as well. People could not stop talking about the food at the wedding from the cocktail hour appetizers to the meal choices for the dinner. Bobby from La Valencia is great and makes you feel like family when you are at the hotel. We could not ask for anything more on our special day and the hotel will always hold a special place in our hearts. We look forward to many more days spent at La Valencia.

2017-01-19T11:27:21 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the wonderful words. It truly was a pleasure working with you. We were honored to be able to play a small part on such a wonderful occasion. Don't forget to join us for your one year anniversary night. Bobby

Reviewed on 3/03/2017 Chelsea J

Love love loved Bobby. He was such a kind person and make the whole booking experience great! I was really happy with my wedding here. It turned out beautifully and can't wait to come back here for 1 year anniversary!!

Reviewed on 11/16/2016 Patty A

What a picture perfect wedding! My daughter was married at La Valencia in July, 2016 and it could not have been a more wonderful wedding! EVERYTHING - the food/bar, the venue, the staff - was PERFECT! All excelled to make this special event one in a million! Bobby Fader was... Read More a pure joy to work with - so professional and so kind - I highly recommend this venue and working with Bobby to anyone who is looking for a storybook wedding!

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Katie R

The La Valencia is the quintessential San Diego wedding venue. Having grown up in San Diego but with a guest list of mostly East Coasters, I knew my fiancé and I needed a very “California” location with beautiful views of the ocean. The La Valencia fit this description and... Read More provided guests with a true vacation weekend. We loved that our guests would get to experience the multiple restaurants, pool, and unique rooms at the LV and be within walking distance of La Jolla village. For the actual wedding, we were excited to take advantage of the view and multiple restaurant/patio areas at the LV. One benefit we couldn’t of anticipated was how wonderful it was to plan a wedding here. Bobby, the Events Coordinator, is amazing and will make sure that your vision becomes reality. He was so helpful throughout the planning process and always willing to answer questions (and with a smile). He even offered us a beautiful suite for the wedding weekend that was perfect for me and my eight bridesmaids to get ready in. The rest of the LV staff was wonderful as well and really made us feel special during our stay. We can’t wait to go back for our one-year anniversary!

2016-08-31T14:50:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much. It was great fun. We can't wait to see you on your anniversary. I hope New York is treating you well:)

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Erin H

If you want the wedding location of your dreams, look no further. It's a 'one stop shop' complete with ocean view, beautiful ceremony location, vintage ballroom, cocktail verandah and the food and drink is exquisite. Don't waste your time trying to manage a caterer, a bartender... Read More AND a venue. Everything you need is here. Our guests raved about every part of our day. If I had to do everything all over, I wouldn't change a single thing. A few perks are: There is a special bridal parlor for you and your bridesmaids to get ready in, you and your groom have the honeymoon suite for the night and at your one year anniversary, the hotel staff is amazing, and the event coordinator, Bobby Fader was perfect to work with. Everywhere we turned, we saw someone we loved, the beautiful ocean, fantastic service, amazing food, and awesome drink. If florals are a huge detail as you plan, keep in mind, your cost decreases just because the hotel and scenery are so perfect. I do not have a single negative to say, and if I had all the money in the world, I would get married there every weekend just for the flawless experience. Book it now, the dates go fast. Happy Planning!!

2016-08-31T14:52:03 Response from the vendor

I had such a great time working with you and meeting your friends and family. Thank you so much for the kind words. It truly was a pleasure. All my best, Bobby

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Nicole C

La Valencia was the perfect spot for our wedding. We had everyone coming from out of town and the location of La V is perfect. There is so much to do and see all in walking distance. La V itself is absolutely gorgeous and the views are unbeatable. My bridesmaids and I got to... Read More have our makeup done overlooking the ocean on a perfect sunny San Diego day. The food is phenomenal. We live nearby and love to go for brunch. We got so many compliments on the apps and the food. Bobby is AMAZING. He was so fun and easy to work with. He is the only part of wedding planning that isn't stressful. I literally can't say enough great things about Bobby and La V--- you'd be foolish to choose anywhere else once you've seen La V and met Bobby.

Reviewed on 8/22/2016

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at La V in February 2016 and it was absolutely beautiful! From our venue appointment until we checked out of our room the day after our wedding, Bobby and his team treated us like the guests of honor at the hotel. The venue is already... Read More stunningly beautiful, it didn't require much decorating and our guests who traveled from all over the country couldn't stop talking about how perfect the venue was and how much fun they had staying there during their trip. Also, the service during the reception is definitely worth pointing out. All of our guests loved their food and there was never a line at the bar, perfect! Not only is Bobby very helpful and full of tips on how to plan your wedding at La V, but he is also a really cool guy and I enjoyed meeting him. Bottom line, this is a beautiful wedding venue and you can't beat the service! There is nothing better out there!!

2016-08-31T14:54:37 Response from the vendor

Thank you Vanessa for the very kind words and review. It was a pleasure being able to work with you and meet your friends and family. Don't forget to come back to us for your one year anniversary. We would love to see you again.... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 5/06/2016 Carrie E

Perfection!!! From my first conversation with Bobby Fader in the sales department to the execution of our wedding the only word that comes to mind is, perfection! The La Valencia made our wedding planning so easy and enjoyable. The entire staff is so professional and it shows.... Read More Chef James and his crew are out of this world. Our guests could not stop raving about the food! Thank you to all of the La Valencia staff!! We can't wait to come back on our one year anniversary to celebrate. This hotel will forever have a special place in our hearts.

2016-05-06T11:55:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words. We loved working with you and your friends and family were amazing. You will always have a special place in our hearts as well. Best wishes, Bobby

Reviewed on 2/18/2016

We had our wedding at La Valencia in December of 2015 and are so happy we chose that location. The setting itself was beautiful and didn't require a lot of decor in my opinion (beyond the flowers for the reception and ceremony locations). The hotel was decorated beautifully... Read More for the holidays which was a bonus. Our guests loved the venue. On to the coordination- Bobby Fader was outstanding as the onsite coordinator from start to finish. He communicated all the crucial information right off the bat and was there to answer any questions we had along the way. Bobby runs a well oiled machine as everything was taken care of on time and to the best standards. During the weekend of the wedding and day-of everything went smoothly and Bobby was there to handle anything that came up. He popped his head in from time to time to check on us, which was comforting. He also made sure we had drinks in our hands prior to our reception entrance :) He's a gem. As for the food and drink, our guests loved it. I was pleased to see that the food that was served at the wedding was every bit as delicious as the food we received at the tasting. We selected the filet, swordfish and market vegetables and all were great. The wine selection was also wonderful. We used a few suggested vendors and that made the process really smooth (even for our vendors that weren't suggested, had no problems with access or setup). For our guests staying onsite and the wedding party, it was really convenient to have everything they needed right at the hotel or close by in downtown LJ. The rooms were great and we were definitely taken care of. Wouldn't change a thing- thank you Bobby and the La Valencia!

2016-02-18T13:09:16 Response from the vendor

thank you so much for the wonderful review. It was a honor being able to play a small part on such a wonderful day. I can't wait to see you on your one year anniversary! Best wishes....Bobby

Reviewed on 11/03/2015 Allie W

The most amazing setting for both a ceremony and reception. Your pictures will top anything you have ever seen. You also do not have to go crazy with flowers because there landscaping provides a lot! Also, the food is incredible.

Reviewed on 10/05/2015 Vanessa E

Absolute dream venue! Had our wedding at La Valencia this September 2015. It was incredible. Service was impecable. Bobby the wedding coordinator is simply the best and a pleasure to work with. So glad we chose to have our wedding at the Pink Lady!

2015-10-05T12:22:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you Vanessa, It was such a pleasure being able to play a small part on your wedding day. Thank you for taking the time to write the nice review.

Meet with Bobby Fader and book your event now!

Reviewed on 7/14/2015

To Parents of the Bride - Without hesitation plan your event at La Valencia! My daughter's wedding was held on June 20, 2015 and it was absolutely incredible. La Valencia is a breathtaking location. The ceremony is set on a charming courtyard with the ocean as a background.... Read More The food and service is top of the line. My guests were raving, and calls came in after the event about how terrific the food tasted and the presentation. All of the appetizers had unique flavors, our crab cake starter was great and our entrees arrived hot, bountiful and visually very appetizing. We provided an option of fillet, shrimp with couscous and vegetarian. Everything was top quality. When selecting a high end hotel this is what you should expect and La Valencia completely succeeded. However the most important reason to select La Valencia is Bobby Fader, the catering manager! Bobby will make sure that the wedding experience exceeds your exceptions and that the bride stays happy! Bobby is beyond incredible; he genuinely cares about all the details. Bobby was always prompt at returning every call and email. We wanted an after party with smore's and craft beers - Bobby creatively found a classy and fun way to set this up. Working with Bobby this year is what would bring me back to La Valencia. He is gracious, responsible and your wedding will be of the utmost importance to him. I have planned many large scale events at high end hotels. This is the first time I have ever written a review - it is because of Bobby. Bobby is one-of-a-kind and he will make sure your event is magical.

2015-07-15T11:46:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a true pleasure working with you and thank you for challenging my creativity:) I can't take all the credit. I have a fantastic team that I work with and who allow me to have fun... Read Less Read More

La Valencia Hotel - Romantic Wedding

Reviewed on 5/19/2015 Gabriella C

Our wedding was magical, romantic, and simply unforgettable! We truly believe the service, location, and ambiance made our wedding day feel like a dream. Our guests loves the beautiful crisp ocean view and air all thought the night!

2015-05-20T18:17:46 Response from the vendor

Thank you Gabriella and Roderick. It was wonderful having you both here (and Nova too :)). You were a wonderful couple to work with and it was a pleasure being part of your celebration. I look forward to seeing you on your one year anniversary.

La Valencia: magical venue with TOP KNOTCH staff

Reviewed on 3/23/2015

La Valencia is the most beautiful, breathtaking venue in San Diego. The amazing views, gorgeous setting and phenomenal food all helped to make it a beyond special day. But the ONE thing that made it PERFECT--Sales Manager Bobby Fader. He’s creative and kind. He has a knack... Read More for handling people. He's funny, organized beyond belief, classy and charming. He instills a certain confidence in the day. He’s a businessman. A good one. He handled our money as delicately as if it were your own. We trusted him, and were right in doing so. Bobby Fader made our day a magical celebration where every detail was perfect. The timeline, the vendors, my vision, my Mom's vision. There was not one thing I wanted that he didn't make happen. Does this review seem over the top? It's not. Brides--make an appointment. Tell him your vision and you will see exactly what I mean. ~The Haggerty's

Perfect Venue

Reviewed on 11/09/2014 Jessica F

We had our wedding reception at the La Valencia Hotel in October and we could not have been more pleased with how it turned out! Bobby Fader, the sales and marketing manager, was an absolute delight to work with. We had several meetings with him throughout the year and he was... Read More always willing to make time for us. We also emailed countless times back and forth and he was always eager and prompt in returning our emails no matter how small the question. He is extremely polite and professional and we are so lucky to have had him assist us with everything. I don’t think we could have done something like this without him! The evening of our reception was absolutely perfect. The weather was magnificent. The view at the La Valencia Hotel overlooks the ocean. We had an outdoor setting with strung lights above. We had different catering stations with prime rib and a seafood bar that everyone could not get enough of! The food was outstanding. Bobby had recommended some really excellent vendors for us and they all provided outstanding service. The catering staff at the La Valencia is some of the best we have ever encountered. They were all attentive, friendly and would rush to get anything we needed. All of our guests keep raving about how wonderful the staff and the setting were and it was a night everyone will truly remember! The La Valencia Hotel is a unique spot in La Jolla and has the absolute perfect setting for a wedding/reception. The hotel staff is friendly and the rooms are beautiful. Bobby Fader and the La Valencia Staff provided us with the reception of our dreams and we will be forever grateful!

Absolute Perfection

Reviewed on 10/21/2014 Katy H

I can't say enought wonderful things about this place. My contact throughout the planning process was Bobby Fader who was fabulous from start to finish. We had a destination wedding with about 100 guests travelling to La Jolla. The staff at La V was not only great for me but my... Read More guests were raving about how nice and attentive everyone was. From the valet, concierge, bellman, housekeeping, waitstaff ... the list goes on. Each person we encountered was helpful and had a smile on their face. The beauty of the hotel speaks for itself and the location was perfect. Close enough to San Deigo for those that wanted to check out more of the city but in the heart of La Jolla where guests could walk to shops and restaurants. The ceremony space is lovely but casual and was very intimate with all of our close friends and family sitting close to us. The reception was perfectly layed out so everyone could enjoy themselves. I rented the Garden Suite (room 606) to get ready with my bridesmaids. It's more expensive but they gave me a great deal and it's a huge room. It's conveniently located right outside the reception room and above the ceremony site so it's easy to move from one place to the other. I had 8 bridesmaids getting hair and makeup done there and we had more than enough space. The location also made it very easy for my coordinator to get things for me and put flowers and other items in the room while I was enjoying my wedding. I heard a few people asking if I was worried about noise from the pool since the ceremony site is just about it. Absolutely not. We had zero issues. You don't see many kids around and guests are very kind and respectful of your big day. We also hosted our rehearsal dinner in the Galeria room on Friday night. It kept it simple for my guests having it all in one building but was totally different from the reception so it didn't feel like the same celebration both nights. The only mistake I made was not having all of my guests book rooms early enough. It is a smaller hotel so make sure you tell your guests to book well in advance. They will work hard to accommodate you but do fill up. I look forward to celebrating our anniversaries at La Valencia for years to come. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place and would do everything all over again the exact same way.

Beautiful

Reviewed on 9/18/2014 Rebecca O

I absolutely fell in love with this venue just from seeing photos online. In person, it was even more stunning, and the service matched the looks. Everyone was very accommodating and helpful, especially the on-site coordinator, Bobby Fader. We didn't have a wedding planner, but... Read More he stepped in and made sure everything was perfect for us. And lest I forget, the food was phenomenal. Completely worth every penny.

Beautiful Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 9/07/2014 Tami C

We just got married two weekends ago, and we couldn't be more happy with our venue. We got married in the garden overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Many of our guests commented on our beautiful our ceremony was. We live out of town and did much of the planning with Bobby Fader, the... Read More catering manager via email and phone conversations. He is so much more than a catering manager! Let me just say Bobby is my fairy godmother!!!!!!! He understood our budget, was never judgmental, always got back to us, and did his best to accommodate our wishes and address our concerns. He is the reason our rehearsal and ceremony ran so smoothly. He made sure our wishes were respected. He also came by to make sure everything was okay as I got ready in the beautiful garden suite in the morning. We are so happy with our decision to have our wedding here. We look forward to coming back to the hotel for our anniversaries! The hotel is just beautiful from the outside to the inside. The architecture sets a beautiful vintage feel to it along with the history of the hotel. Beautiful location, beautiful hotel, beautiful catering manager!

Stunning Wedding Venue!

Reviewed on 5/24/2014 Susan C

I can't imagine a more beautiful setting than La Valencia in La Jolla. Our May wedding there was absolutely fabulous. From the ceremony to the reception, everything was perfect! Impeccable in fact! Bobby at La Valencia was the best to work with. He made it all run smoothly and... Read More the venue was divine!

wedding gorgeous, planning difficult

Reviewed on 1/15/2013 Jessica H

My wedding at La Valencia was beautiful and everything came together quite nicely. However, getting to that point was rather difficult. I had to work with several different people at the hotel during my year of planning and there was a lack of communication and consistency... Read More within that. If I did not have persistence and an outside planner, my wedding would not have come together quite as nicely. Be prepared to fight for things you want, despite being told you can do it initially (they'll say anything to get you to commit it seems and then try to put restrictions on you). All the frustration is worth it in the end for the amazing setting of the hotel, the quality food, and the view. But, expect to put in some work and keep ALL emails as proof of past conversations that you will have to refer back to.

Most Glamorous, elegant venue in La Jolla!

Reviewed on 10/08/2012 Kathryn R

My husband I were wed on September 21st 2012 at La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla California and we could not have pictured a more perfect, elegent, glamorous venue anywhere else! We live in El Paso Texas so choosing a venue that was very California style with a view of the ocean... Read More was a must and we got it all plus more! The butler staff was nothing short of world class service catering to our every need and request every second of the wedding. Our banquet manager, Shannon Califano was fabulous as well! She was always so friendly, helpful and always so excited to speak to us! The pictures came out amaxingly beautful with the back drop we had at La Valencia. Would not have wanted it any other way! Kathy and Ruben RiveraEl Paso Texas

BEAUTIFUL LOCATION

Reviewed on 5/15/2012 maria p

The Hotel was spectacular, the service was perfect and the food was lovely. Exceptional location. We did have issue with the person that was assigned to us, difficult to work with regarding communication and timeliness.

Gorgeous Destination Location in SoCal

Reviewed on 5/30/2011 Casey B

La Valenica is located in the beautiful town of La Jolla, CA. Myself (the bride), the groom, our family and closest friends all traveled mostly from Minneapolis, MN to celebrate our union...and we could not have picked a more amazing place. We were married in the garden -... Read More which was spectacular - it was not only an elegant garden ceremony, but had the most pristine view of the ocean. It was really the best of both worlds! The reception was held only steps away in the Verandah Room, which was the perfect setting for our guest count of 74. It can also hold up to 100+, and is a very intimate and warm setting. The service and food were both out of this world, the hotel was a joy to stay at (it is also a historical landmark; the likes of Marilyn Monroe have stayed here!)...I can not say enough good words about our wedding experience at La Valencia. I would recommend it 1,000 times over! Leo Lopez was our contact, and also an great resource for vendors. If you are considering a Southern California wedding, I would definitely check out La Valencia! Happy Wedding Planning!

Best Reception Ever!!!!!

Reviewed on 12/10/2010 Amber N

The most superb food and service anywhere. I can't say enough about it all, and the guests are still raving about it. We had the chef's five course menu - highly recommend.

Intimate garden wedding with ocean view.

Reviewed on 5/18/2010 Araceli C

We got married in the garden (which overlooks the pool and has views of La Jolla cove. We celebrated in La Sala (cocktail hour) and the Veranda (dinner and dancing). We had a small wedding, so this location was perfect and welcoming. We worked with Patty who was reluctant to... Read More some of our menu changes and extra requests, but in the end everything turned out as we wanted. She was always polite and produced estimates right away. The package comes with a jr. suite for the wedding night, but we upgraded to a bigger suite overlooking the garden/ ceremony site for about $800- gorgeous! Everyone loved the location and spoke highly of the food. Some room for improvement are the chairs are so old and the decor so old fashioned, and not in a Marie Antoinette way. They also did not follow our request to save the leftover cake and cookies and we wasted valuable time the next day waiting for them to find it, causing us to be late to our after-wedding brunch.