Middleton Place

• Valet Parking

• Wheelchair Accessible

$$$

Style

Banquet/Reception Hall, Botanic Garden/Park, Inn/B&B, Mansion/Historic Site, Restaurant, Unusual/Alternative

4300 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC

Management needs work

Reviewed on 4/02/2015 Maggie D

I worked with a private, highly rated elopement service to plan my Middleton place ceremony. The place is gorgeous and I will have fond memories of our wedding day and stay at the Inn, but unfortunately Middleton’s treatment of our party made for a very nerve-wracking experience. Immediately following our ceremony, my family was approached by the COO of Middleton and told we would need to stay out of the way of another bride who would be arriving within the hour. Our photographer, who has worked with Middleton before, said sure, we will do photos and move on. I understood that. When the COO approached us for the 3rd time within the half hour to ask us to "move along", I finally stepped in and informed him that our coordinator had arranged prior permission to be there, to which he replied that he had no record of our booking. I knew at that point that something was very wrong, but he was apologetic, I gave him the names of our coordinators, and we finished our photos and went off to enjoy the rest of our night. The next morning I was shocked to receive an alert that the Inn had charged my credit card $1800. I walked over to the office and was told that they were passing along a fee for having had an “unauthorized event on their grounds.” This was done despite my coordinators having left messages immediately following the confusion during our ceremony, and without any conversation or warning from management. Luckily my coordinator got right on the phone and had the charge removed, but the plantation claimed they had never received the multiple messages from our coordinators informing them about our elopement plans. The Inn had sent champagne to our room the day prior! They clearly knew we were getting married and I had told them twice what was planned. Even if we had blatantly broken the rules, I would have expected a conversation with management before such a charge was placed. They clearly knew there was more to the story and yet made no effort to get to the bottom of it. And they put their inn staff in the terrible position of having to blindside me. They were visibly uncomfortable when I walked in, and once the charge had been removed and I asked for an updated invoice, they were so embarrassed/flustered that they would barely make eye contact. Bad management all around. Some blame definitely goes to my awesome coordinators for not demanding an affirmative response from Middleton before the wedding day, which they have bent over backwards to acknowledge. But as they had given Middleton multiple opportunities to respond if there was a problem with our plans, and my coordinators had past positive experiences bringing in a small elopement onto the Middleton grounds as long as prior warning was given, they did not anticipate this issue. None of it excuses the treatment I received from Middleton staff.

Perfect Location and Great Service

Reviewed on 9/24/2013 David C

My wife and I had the pleasure of working with Sam from Middleton Place. All throughout our wedding process she delivered top notch service and professionalism. We were just married there on 09/22 and we are still receiving compliments on how beautiful the location was from our guests. The ambiance was perfect, which even included butterflies in the garden on our wedding day.

Middleotn Place Wedding

Reviewed on 6/30/2012 Rachel P

Everyone at Middleton did a wonderful job at making my day special. I would highly recommend a wedding or any event here. All the guests talked about how good the food was and how beautiful it was on the grounds!!

Perfect!

Reviewed on 5/03/2012 Melissa J

We live in Wisconsin and had our destination wedding at Middleton Place. It was absolutely beautiful! Our guests kept saying, now we know why you chose this place! Our wedding at the Crane Pool and reception at the Pavilion were perfect! It was everything we had hoped for and more!

Moser/Moates Wedding

Reviewed on 10/10/2011 Courtney M

The atmosphere was absolutely beautiful! It was everything my husband and I wanted plus more. They went through several changes with staff members but at the end of the day we were always taken care of.

Breathtaking setting for a wedding!

Reviewed on 9/28/2011 Brittney T

We recently moved to Charleston from Atlanta, GA and every guest at our wedding was from out of town. They are still talking about how gorgeous our ceremony setting was in the Octagonal Garden and how beautiful the reception was in the pavilion! I worked with Chelyse for 10 months to arrange everything at Middleton just the way we wanted. She was there every step of the way and was so courteous and helpful anytime we had questions. Middleton is not just a wedding venue, it is a beautiful historic experience for you and your guests!

Reviewed on 7/29/2011 Diana D

It was absolutely breath taking! The sales manager, Chelsye Harp, was a pleasure to work with!

picturesque

Reviewed on 6/11/2011 Emily P

most beautiful wedding venue on the face of the earth

Incredible

Reviewed on 9/22/2010 tracey s

Julia, Megan and Duval Catering were so helpful in making our wedding day the best ever. They help make planning so easy. We did not have even one crisis on wedding day!! The Plantation is absolutely amazing and the best part was having the whole day at one location so guests did not have to travel.

Awesome Location

Reviewed on 8/09/2010 Kimberly J

This wedding location is stunning the day was perfect, and everyone was very helpful in the process. Couldn't have asked for a better wedding venue.

Review for Middleton Place Plantation

Reviewed on 10/18/2008 KENNETH B

She was extremely organized and kept everyone on track the day of the rehearsal and wedding.;The planner is extremely tactful almost blunt. She does a wonderful job and was worth every penny.

Review for Middleton Place

Reviewed on 10/01/2007 Molly C

The site was amazing. It was great that the ceremony, cocktail hour, and the reception were all located at one site. The plantation was so beautiful.;The wedding coordinators were not consistant, they were hired and fired several times through out our planning experience

Send Email