The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Middleton Place, a former plantation on the outskirts of Charleston, South Carolina, sits right on the banks of the meandering Ashley River. Built in 1755, this grand venue with landscaped gardens and terraced lawns is available for both ceremonies and receptions. There is a choice of indoor and outdoor locations, all of which invoke the same sense of history and prestige for which Middleton Place is known.

The Butterfly Lakes are two twin pools carved into a neatly terraced lawn. Between them runs a long corridor of grass suitable for use as a ceremony aisle looking out to the Ashley River.

The Bluff likewise has views over the Ashley from a more traditional lawn surrounded by trees and other flora.

The Secret Gardens comprise two outdoor ceremony spaces, one a modestly-sized lawn with clipped hedge perimeter and the other a larger area with marble statues and an alfresco room tastefully incorporated into the surrounding flora.

The Middleton Oak is one of the venue's most ancient trees. At more than 900 years old, this evocatively gnarled giant strikes an impressive contrast to the surrounding gardens and topiary for memorable ceremonies and photos.

The Octagonal Garden nearby is characterized by its neat geometry, manicured boxwoods and colorful flowers, including pansies, camellias and azaleas. A number of pathways, suitable for ceremony use, cut across the lawns.

The Crane Pool is another outdoor ceremony space with colorful flowers and, more uniquely, several towering oak trees with Spanish moss for shade.

The Stableyards appeal to couples looking for a ceremony with a difference. Housing the same breeds of animals that lived here during the site's early days, this venue is well-suited to quirky first-look photographs as well as a sense of place and history.

The Pavilion is a tented reception space with elegant furnishings and plenty of space. It is just as popular for informal cocktail events with hors d'oeuvres as it is for more formal banquets. It can also be expanded as desired with the addition of further tents.

The Cypress Room & Courtyard are intended for receptions with smaller guest counts. It has an austerely traditional, but nonetheless sumptuous, interior decor complete with cast-iron chandeliers and wood-paneled walls. The adjacent open-air courtyard area sits in the company of several aged trees.

The Lake House has space for up to 200 guests with two decks and an open-air patio area. It offers views of woods and a pond with elegantly neutral interior decor.

The Courtyard is another tented reception space. It offers views of the Ashley River from the heart of the inn and is suitable for events in the spring and fall.

Catering can be provided by the venue's own banquet staff or the Charleston caterer Duvall Catering & Event Design. This affords a great deal of flexibility and scope of customization for rehearsals, luncheons and sit-down or buffet dinners, as well as cocktail receptions with passed hors d'oeuvres.

A number of additional advantages include:

• On-site accommodations for guests at the Inn at Middleton Place
  • Recreational activities, including horseback riding and kayaking
  • Authentically handcrafted plantation carriage available for transportation
  • Proximity to other sites of historic interest in and around, the city of Charleston

Middleton Place, National Historic Landmark

An 18th century plantation and America’s oldest formal landscaped Gardens, Middleton Place is one of the south’s most enduring icons. The outdoor venues provide ideal wedding ceremony and reception locations. Middleton Place and the Inn customize events from intimate gatherings to grand affairs.

Ballroom, Waterfront, Garden, Historic Venue, Park, Restaurant, Tented

4300 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC (843) 377-0548
INSTAGRAM

Perfect Location and Great Service

Reviewed on 9/24/2013 David C

My wife and I had the pleasure of working with Sam from Middleton Place. All throughout our wedding process she delivered top notch service and professionalism. We were just married there on 09/22 and we are still receiving compliments on how beautiful the location was from... Read More our guests. The ambiance was perfect, which even included butterflies in the garden on our wedding day.

Middleotn Place Wedding

Reviewed on 6/30/2012 Rachel P

Everyone at Middleton did a wonderful job at making my day special. I would highly recommend a wedding or any event here. All the guests talked about how good the food was and how beautiful it was on the grounds!!

Perfect!

Reviewed on 5/03/2012 Melissa J

We live in Wisconsin and had our destination wedding at Middleton Place. It was absolutely beautiful! Our guests kept saying, now we know why you chose this place! Our wedding at the Crane Pool and reception at the Pavilion were perfect! It was everything we had hoped for... Read More and more!

Reviewed on 11/18/2016 Courtney H

The best venue in Charleston! After visiting several plantations, my now husband and I knew Middleton was the one when we saw how beautiful the venue was and after meeting Jessie Tanner(our event coordinator at Middleton). She was so helpful, organized, resourceful and attentive... Read More throughout the entire process and made every request we had happen (down to having the sheep come out for our guests to see)! I can't say enough great things about how helpful she was during the entire process! There are also so many different incredible locations to have the ceremony, cocktail hour, and/or reception and our guests loved getting to walk through the gardens during our cocktail hour! Another thing I loved about Middleton compared to other venues is they only have ONE wedding a night so you aren't sharing the venue with another bride. The food and bar service was also AMAZING and I would recommend the duck tacos(or any of the food) to anyone! :) Everyone at Middleton went above and beyond for us and made our wedding more perfect than I could ever imagine.

Reviewed on 4/12/2016 Amanda M

I am a Charleston native and have dreamed of having my wedding at Middleton Place for years. I am fortunate to have a husband that is just as enamored with the location as I am. Even though we visited many other venues, Middleton was always, hands down, the favorite. We were... Read More drawn to Middleton for its picturesque views, beautiful gardens and sense of heritage and history. We also loved the fact that if we booked a wedding a Middleton, we would have the grounds to ourselves and our wedding guests with no other weddings scheduled on the same day. On our wedding day, there happened to be a couple eloping on the property, right where my husband and I were about to have our first look. (You’ll find her terrible review below). I hate the fact that her “highly rated elopement service” did not even sign a contract with Middleton and did not follow the proper procedure to ensure a stress free day for her. I am so grateful for Sam (Middleton Place event coordinator) and her team for removing the other wedding party so my first look was not ruined. Sam worked tirelessly to ensure I had a perfect day – I was not even aware of the mishap until after the wedding. I also need to take a moment to mention the FOOD! I am a gluten free client and was thrilled to have a private tasting of the food we would enjoy on our wedding day (including gourmet GF macaroni and cheese!!). The chef was fantastic to work with and made sure I was sufficiently stuffed with delicious food on my wedding day! One year later, my husband and I are still OVER THE MOON with our wedding a Middleton Place. Our family and friends still talk about how our wedding was the most beautiful weddings they have ever attended. We visited the restaurant for our one year anniversary dinner and were greeted with champagne for us and our family (compliments of Sam). We love this location, its history and its purpose, and will continue to support it for years to come!

Management needs work

Reviewed on 4/02/2015 Maggie D

I worked with a private, highly rated elopement service to plan my Middleton place ceremony. The place is gorgeous and I will have fond memories of our wedding day and stay at the Inn, but unfortunately Middleton’s treatment of our party made for a very nerve-wracking... Read More experience. Immediately following our ceremony, my family was approached by the COO of Middleton and told we would need to stay out of the way of another bride who would be arriving within the hour. Our photographer, who has worked with Middleton before, said sure, we will do photos and move on. I understood that. When the COO approached us for the 3rd time within the half hour to ask us to "move along", I finally stepped in and informed him that our coordinator had arranged prior permission to be there, to which he replied that he had no record of our booking. I knew at that point that something was very wrong, but he was apologetic, I gave him the names of our coordinators, and we finished our photos and went off to enjoy the rest of our night. The next morning I was shocked to receive an alert that the Inn had charged my credit card $1800. I walked over to the office and was told that they were passing along a fee for having had an “unauthorized event on their grounds.” This was done despite my coordinators having left messages immediately following the confusion during our ceremony, and without any conversation or warning from management. Luckily my coordinator got right on the phone and had the charge removed, but the plantation claimed they had never received the multiple messages from our coordinators informing them about our elopement plans. The Inn had sent champagne to our room the day prior! They clearly knew we were getting married and I had told them twice what was planned. Even if we had blatantly broken the rules, I would have expected a conversation with management before such a charge was placed. They clearly knew there was more to the story and yet made no effort to get to the bottom of it. And they put their inn staff in the terrible position of having to blindside me. They were visibly uncomfortable when I walked in, and once the charge had been removed and I asked for an updated invoice, they were so embarrassed/flustered that they would barely make eye contact. Bad management all around. Some blame definitely goes to my awesome coordinators for not demanding an affirmative response from Middleton before the wedding day, which they have bent over backwards to acknowledge. But as they had given Middleton multiple opportunities to respond if there was a problem with our plans, and my coordinators had past positive experiences bringing in a small elopement onto the Middleton grounds as long as prior warning was given, they did not anticipate this issue. None of it excuses the treatment I received from Middleton staff.

2016-06-09T11:44:09 Response from the vendor

Middleton Place, a non-profit National Historic Landmark, as most any wedding location, does require a contract and advance payment for any/all events to be held on property. Any qualified wedding coordinator should be aware of such policies – especially ones who claim to have done... Read Less Read More

A Relaxing Honeymoon

Reviewed on 7/18/2014 Erin M

We spent a week in Charleston at the Inn for our honeymoon. The grounds were beautiful and the rooms were perfect. Definitely not a cookie cutter hotel. We enjoyed the character of the Inn and would definitely love to come back!

Honeymoon location

Reviewed on 8/15/2012 Susanna P

We took a 5 day cruise out of Charleston which left on Monday, so Saturday evening and Sunday, we stayed at the Inn at Middleton Place. Let me just say, we didn't make it into Charleston as we had planned, until time to get on the ship. Middleton Place is gorgeous! Birds, sheep,... Read More dragonflies, spanish moss, and just beautiful scenery everywhere. As an amateur photographer, I was in heaven. It was quite humid in Charleston, as it usually is in late July, but we loved it. The Inn itself was great too, and we got a free pass into the plantation because we were guests at the inn. That's the largest bathtub I've ever seen, and my regular sized bathtub just looks so inadequate now. If you want a bubble bath, better start running the water at least 15 minutes before you want to get in and soak. The room was lovely, and secluded. Perfect start to our honeymoon.

Beautiful location, great service

Reviewed on 6/05/2012 Stephanie B

I might be a little biased, because I have grown up around both Middleton Place and the Inn at Middleton Place. If you're looking for a gorgeous venue with a slightly lower price tag and more availability, you should definitely look into the Inn! The food is wonderful, but be... Read More warned that your catering options are limited to either the Inn or one other vendor (except for cakes, which can be done by anyone).

Moser/Moates Wedding

Reviewed on 10/10/2011 Courtney M

The atmosphere was absolutely beautiful! It was everything my husband and I wanted plus more. They went through several changes with staff members but at the end of the day we were always taken care of.

Breathtaking setting for a wedding!

Reviewed on 9/28/2011 Brittney T

We recently moved to Charleston from Atlanta, GA and every guest at our wedding was from out of town. They are still talking about how gorgeous our ceremony setting was in the Octagonal Garden and how beautiful the reception was in the pavilion! I worked with Chelyse for... Read More 10 months to arrange everything at Middleton just the way we wanted. She was there every step of the way and was so courteous and helpful anytime we had questions. Middleton is not just a wedding venue, it is a beautiful historic experience for you and your guests!

Reviewed on 7/29/2011 Diana D

It was absolutely breath taking! The sales manager, Chelsye Harp, was a pleasure to work with!

picturesque

Reviewed on 6/11/2011 Emily P

most beautiful wedding venue on the face of the earth

Incredible

Reviewed on 9/22/2010 tracey s

Julia, Megan and Duval Catering were so helpful in making our wedding day the best ever. They help make planning so easy. We did not have even one crisis on wedding day!! The Plantation is absolutely amazing and the best part was having the whole day at one location so guests... Read More did not have to travel.

Awesome Location

Reviewed on 8/09/2010 Kimberly J

This wedding location is stunning the day was perfect, and everyone was very helpful in the process. Couldn't have asked for a better wedding venue.

Review for Middleton Place Plantation

Reviewed on 10/18/2008 KENNETH B

She was extremely organized and kept everyone on track the day of the rehearsal and wedding.;The planner is extremely tactful almost blunt. She does a wonderful job and was worth every penny.

Review for Middleton Place

Reviewed on 10/01/2007 Molly C

The site was amazing. It was great that the ceremony, cocktail hour, and the reception were all located at one site. The plantation was so beautiful.;The wedding coordinators were not consistant, they were hired and fired several times through out our planning experience