Cuisine

American

Buffet, Food + Catering, Service Staff

1197 Duck Road, Duck, NC (252) 261-8646

Reviewed on 12/11/2016 Courtney C

Red Sky Cafe is garbage, and I hope to prevent future brides from having our humiliating experience. I struggled with the fairness of this review (I was by no means a perfect bride), so I’m trying to describe the experience un-emotionally and succinctly. We got married the week... Read More after Hurricane Matthew, but Jenn (GM) assured us that our wedding catering could go as planned. However, Jenn and Head Chef Wes did NOT show up at the event as promised to manage and cook. Our wedding planner put together a document of information about timing, rental details and special requests, and provided it in plenty of time for Jenn to distribute it and give feedback. The staff that showed up had NO idea what was going on, hadn’t seen it. They were completely set up for failure. Unprofessional and unacceptable. RSC brought only 1 “chef” and 1 bartender for a 90+ person wedding. We paid for passed apps, but the couple servers who showed didn’t have time to do that, placed them on random tables with no info about allergens, etc.. Apps were nasty; undercooked bacon wrapped scallops and soggy pork rolls. Getting a drink was an exercise in patience and perseverance, guests started ordering 2 at a time or spend all night in line.. We paid for a bar package that included mixers. They ran out before dinner and wanted a family member to run to the store. Champagne got put down on kid tables, bride’s brother had to run around grabbing them. Salads went down late and plates piled up everywhere with no bus trays or pre-busing done by the staff. Dinner was over an HOUR late, guests with little ones had to leave BEFORE getting fed. Kids’ chicken tenders didn’t even come with a condiment. Paid for a prime rib CARVING STATION but got a hunk of meat slammed on a table with no heat lamp and no carver. Meat wasn’t even completely cut through so first few guests almost pulled the whole thing down on the floor. Bride’s brother had to run upstairs and get a steak knife to put on the table. Shrimp and grits were gluey and nearly shrimp-less (despite the delicious version served at our tasting). Found an entire tray of cooked shrimp upstairs afterwards that had been sitting out for hours. A kosher dinner didn't get delivered; instead of asking the wedding planner where it went, it was left on the bar to get cold. They claim that the chef will continue to prepare food until the guests aren't eating anymore. This was a lie. The experience was so substandard and humiliating that we spent our wedding night apologizing to family and friends. After the event, the owner wouldn’t return our calls or acknowledge their complete failure, which was frankly a disgusting way to behave. Jenn told my mother “there was no way” these things happened, which was an infuriatingly stupid thing to say when she couldn’t even be bothered to BE THERE. Part of our package was a 22% service fee, which was not at all earned but not returned (shocking). Having been a server and bartender for 10 years in a big football town through college and grad school, I understand the difficulties in the service industry, and I’ve never been so disgusted. All I can say to future brides is this: they put on a fantastic show during the tasting and leading up to the wedding, but they are unprofessional, incompetent, and completely ambivalent to how their crap behavior affects a day that you will remember for the rest of your life, for better or worse. Please learn from our mistake.

Amazing food, great staff

Reviewed on 7/09/2014

I've been to a ton of weddings, and these guys had the best quality, selection, service and price by FAR. They do the alcohol and service as well as cook the food. They are a very kind group of people and if you are getting married in a 4x4 area, this is the group to have!

Everyone raved how delicious the food was!

Reviewed on 7/01/2013 DOREEN H

I picked Red Sky solely from internet searching & reviews. I met with Jenn for our taste testing, and was sold. They are very accomadating to any request for foods that are even your own recipes! I suggest getting the bar package. It was very helpful to not have to get every... Read More mixer needed for variations of drinks your guests may want. The staff the day of my wedding were very nice & thorough!

Dish for Dish it was Delish!

Reviewed on 6/17/2013 Kristin V

Red Sky was professional and had great communication. They provided reassurance that they would never run out of food, and they were right! I had an out door wedding and they brought everything that the event needed. The only thing that I would change was the fact that they... Read More prepared food in the kitchen of the private residence of where the wedding was. They said that it was going to be prepared "onsite" but I never thought they would be in the home. Everything else was great and the staff was very friendly!

Great Food!

Reviewed on 5/21/2013 caroline N

Our guests are still raving about the food at our wedding. Everything Red Sky made the day of our wedding was perfect! The service was wonderful, everyone was very friendly and helpful. The people in the kitchen even got to know our dogs by name.

Over promise, under deliver!

Reviewed on 11/12/2012 Courtney L

Our tasting was amazing. Such great ideas to make our wedding, rehearsal and brunch so personal. But then the catering manager forgot I existed, didn't answer calls or emails, forgot every detail we planning, and although the food and service staff were amazing, we did not get... Read More what we were promised in quantity, presentation or menu items. They are the most popular for obx weddings, but look around..

Poor choice for a caterer

Reviewed on 10/04/2012 Katherine M

I have never eaten in the restaurant itself, but they just catered my wedding and I would not recommend them to another bride. Their food does not hold up for any length of time whatsoever before it becomes chewy and tasteless. The "tropical fruit platter" has absolutely nothing... Read More tropical about it. Something shady went on when the catering manager disappeared and another manager took over my order. She was abrupt, unfriendly and nearly impossible to get in touch with. They set up our food but didn't bother to put out little labels or cards to let my guests know what they were eating. With so many wedding vendors in the area- brides beware. There is surely a much better option out there- I'm just sorry for my guests that I didn't find one.