The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Roostertail is an iconic waterfront event facility that has remained at the forefront of the Detroit, Michigan, social scene since 1958. Originally a restaurant, today special events are the focus of Roostertail with refined catering and an all-in-one vision for weddings. Roostertail is located on the Lake St. Clair, just along the Detroit River. Couples will be delighted that the wedding planning professionals handle over 70 weddings ceremonies and receptions per year, making them the masters of their trade.

The Marine Room is an innovative, glass enclosed room that can seat 300 guests. This room brings romance to the forefront of the reception with a 40-foot fountain, cozy fireplace and night club lighting. The stage in Marine Room is 500 square feet, ideal for the couple who wants live music and lots of dancing at their reception. The most unique aspect of Marine Room is the dueling panoramic views. From one side of the room guests are looking out over the picturesque lake and the opposite side shows the exquisite Detroit skyline. There is a patio area adjoined to the Marine Room which makes going from the ceremony to the reception easy and convenient.

The Club Room is a more intimate space that can easily transition from boardroom to elegant cocktail reception. This is one of the smaller locations at Roostertail and is best for rehearsal dinners, engagement parties and small cocktail receptions. The maximum capacity in this room is 80, but the outdoor heated terrace can accommodate 25. The room is equipped with a bar, three waterfalls and its own lighting and sound setup.

The Palm River Room is elevated and overlooks the waterfront. The largest room in Roostertail, this space is ideal for grand wedding events with up to 500 people. The cathedral ceilings that reach up 40 feet and crystal chandeliers make this an excellent space for elegant and formal receptions. There is a reception lobby area just outside of the Palm River Room that is ideal for pre-function cocktail hour or butlered hors d’oeuvres. The 500-square foot pavilion is used for ceremonies with the Palm River Room.

The event staff at Roostertail is committed to bringing every couple’s fairy tale wedding vision to life. The event manager will be with couples through the entire planning process. Because Roostertail is an all-inclusive facility, the staff will create custom centerpieces and theme specific decor for events, provide the catering, alcohol and wedding cake as well as complete all setup and cleanup of the event. Tables, chiavari chairs with tie-backs, over 35 colors of linens and all tableware is provided by the venue. Couples can rest easy knowing that they are at a one stop shop for their wedding needs.

There are three different wedding packages offered by Roostertail that include dinner service, bar options and use of the patio and grounds. Upgrades such as valet parking, chair sashes and food choices influence package pricing. Wedding receptions are scheduled for four to four and a half hours. On-site catering can provide dinner service, buffets or stations for lunch or dinner receptions.

Some extra things to love about Roostertail include:

• Named “best place to throw a party” by Hour Magazine
  • One of the top 100 nightclubs in the country
  • Less than 10 miles from downtown Detroit, where there are many options for guest lodging and bridal suites
  • Hydraulic dance floors
  • Professional nightclub sound and lighting design

Imagine having a wedding that fulfills all of your wedding dreams. The Roostertail experience we offer is the “One Stop Shopping” that couples fall in love with. Our venue includes a collection of over 35+ colors and textures of custom linens, show-stopping centerpieces, custom computerized LED Lighting, free parking, an event coordinator, tiebacks and silver Chiavari chairs all at no additional charge. Offering the best and most comprehensive wedding services, we create uniquely personal events that cater to your every need. It is the Roostertail’s committed goal to take away your stress and make your special date just that; Special.

• Outdoor - Covered

Ballroom, Waterfront, Historic Venue, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

100 Marquette Drive, Detroit, MI (313) 822-1234

My Dream Come True

Reviewed on 4/23/2014 LezLee G

The Roostertail brought the wedding of my dreams to life with the help of Shawna and her staff!

2015-09-21T11:14:08 Response from the vendor

We are so happy to hear that! It was our pleasure to host such a beautiful couple. We wish you many years of happiness!

Our dream day

Reviewed on 1/12/2014 Suzie

We knew very quickly after visiting The Roostertail for the first time it was the venue we wanted for our wedding. The location is unbeatable. The water views from the marine room and fountains going all night added excitement and classiness to our wedding that you can't get... Read More anywhere else. Having our own event planner there to help us with the details every step of the way including being present at the rehearsal and the whole wedding day made everything go seamlessly. This venue includes a lot of extras in their packages that make it easier to plan (such as linens/ chairs etc). The food was delicious. We went with a buffet plus some extras and everyone was happy. People couldn't stop talking about how great the bar was. We also had our ceremony on the side patio by the water and it was gorgeous. Can't say enough good things about this place. Very classy and FUN!

November Wedding

Reviewed on 1/04/2014 Caitlin H

Guests did not stop complimenting the food and venue, it was a hit!

Reviewed on 12/06/2016 Michele Y

If you're reading this, you must be considering having your wedding reception at the Roostertail. You really need to carefully check out this venue before you make such an important decision because I can't imagine there will be a more beautiful experience to be found anywhere... Read More else! My daughter just had her wedding reception here at the Roostertail co-ordinated by Shawna. My daughter wanted a winter wonderland reception with all the beauty and glitz this season offers and, did I mention, SHAWNA, helped make that dream come true? Everyone at the Roostertail is so friendly and sweet, no doubt. But Shawna, with her willingness to listen and her fun-loving flair made all the beauty come to life! The venue offers a yummy menu, an array of deco and centerpieces, gorgeous lighting, and an absolutely beautiful view of the water and skyline. Winter is such a touching season with the festivities of holiday and good cheer, family and close friends, which is just the perfect setting for your special day. And the Roostertail is just the place to bring it all together! The service staff is happy and helpful, the chief is superb, and the ambiance is glowing! Shawna worked with the vendors, covered all the details, and spent the entire evening making it all come together. My daughter had hoped for a soft snow-fall for her special evening but Mother Nature wasn't co-operating, so Shawna found a bubble machine that blew out snowflakes that she had fall from the second floor down as we all entered the foyer. Just beautiful! The evening was a magical experience that will be a cherished memory! Your special evening can be one too! Thank you Shawna~ God Bless you!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Stacey H

Can not say enough about this venue, so beautiful. The staff was great, loved the food. Our daughter was married outside had cocktail party then reception inside. Her dream was to have a fairytale wedding/reception and she got what she wanted!!! I can not wait to see the... Read More pictures taken with all the twinkling lights, water, and lightening the Roostertail offers!!! Now onto SHAWNA, she is a ROCK STAR, she went above and beyond to make everything right. We never wanted or needed anything she had it covered. This girl is on top of everything. Thank you Shawna and to all your employees for making dreams come true!!!!!

Reviewed on 10/08/2016 Giselle G

I love love love RoosterTail. I work in the special events industry and RoosterTail is one of my favorite venues. They are always a pleasure to work with and Shawna is so helpful. She truly makes you feel like your event is the only one that matters!

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Stephanie S

Absolutely awesome! Got married on 7/15/16, our guests are still talking about our wedding, many have said it was the best wedding they have ever been to. Our pictures came out great, it is a beautiful place. Food was delish! Bridgette our coordinator was awesome, highly... Read More recommend her.

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Chamaine M

Roostertail was amazing! Bridgette was an absolute joy to work with. She made everything run smoothly and set up everything so beautifully. I had multiple compliments on how well the wedding was done and how fun and amazing the food was. I have a huge family and everyone I... Read More talked to said that our wedding was the best one they have been too. The Roostertail staff definitely made that possible. The staff is extremely professional and very helpful. I highly recommend Bridgette as your day of coordinator. She is great with communication and super helpful when picking out how you want your wedding to look. Thanks Roostertail for making our day so special. Highly recommend you check out this venue. We got married on 9/24/16 and it was beautiful.

Reviewed on 3/08/2016

We just celebrated our daughters wedding at the Roostertail...what a beautiful night that was!!! The lighting, food, tables, service, appetizers and bar were exceptional...we were more than pleased with everything...I want to do it over, i had so much fun..thanks so much for all... Read More your help Shawna, and the location on the water was simply beautiful and at night all the lights from Belle Isle to the bridge and downtown...what a sight to see...thanks so much for everything...

Reviewed on 3/03/2016

My daughter and her fiancee planned to have their December 2016 wedding reception at the Roostertail. They originally worked with a wedding planner, who recently left the Roostertail. They were concerned that the attention they had received would no longer be as great.... Read More However, they were directed to Shawna to work with, and she has been amazing! She is a good listener, a fun person, and will do everything she can to make your special day a cherished memory!

2016-03-03T10:39:38 Response from the vendor

Thank you, so very much. I know transitions from one coordinator to another can be nerve racking but, I also know the passion and commitment I have and I was extremely excited to meet all of you recently and look forward to the opportunity to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 12/11/2015 Nikolina D

My husband, Andy, and I just had our wedding reception at the Roostertail... and it was perfect! From the rising dance floor and water fountains during our first dance to the delicious food and drinks, it was amazing! With all the decisions that go into planning a wedding, it... Read More was also really great to be able to choose from their extensive linens and center piece selections (included with the use of the venue). More importantly, we cannot thank Shawna, our wedding coordinator, enough for making our wedding everything we wanted it to be! She was incredibly responsive and helpful throughout the entire planning process and really made us feel special on our big day! Our family and friends cannot stop talking about how wonderful and beautiful the day was, and we completely agree! Shawna, thank you SO much!!!

2016-03-03T10:37:46 Response from the vendor

You & Andy were an absolute Delight to work with and I am truly sad that we wont have our late night meetings anymore. I wish you the very best and thank you for the wonderful sentiments.

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Rachel L

My husband and I were married and held our reception at the Roostertail in December of 2014. Everything was absolutely perfect <3 Justin was incredible to work with: fun and helpful and accessible. The standard winter decorations they put out are so incredibly beautiful and the... Read More benefits they include in their prices are well worth the cost.(food, dessert table, linens, centerpieces, chairs, lighting, event coordinator, etc.) Even the food was outstanding! Many of our guests stated that we held the most beautiful and best wedding they had ever been to, and I must thank the Roostertail for making it a team effort and making all of our wedding dreams come true! I highly recommend this venue!!!

My Dream October Reception

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Danielle C

The Roostertail did an excellent job providing me the elegant reception I'd envisioned. Everyone knows how important food is at the reception and everyone was calling us days following to tell us how great the food was. I love it that they give you options to use in house... Read More linens, so I saved money by using their linen in my cocktail area. Erica my coordinator at the Roostertail and she was fantastic. She listened to me and when I wanted something she made sure I had it. And last but not least the facility is beautiful, and even more so after recent renovations. I love the openness of the room and looking out at the water. It was breathtaking.

2015-10-12T13:41:01 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Danielle! You were absolutely beautiful and we are so happy to hear your guests enjoyed themselves. Best Wishes and share your photos with us!

Reviewed on 9/21/2015 Krysta M

My husband and I got married at the Roostertail on September 12th, 2015. The ENTIRE process was not only super easy, but so much fun!!! We worked with Justin and he is THE BEST EVER!!! We can honestly say that he will forever be a friend to us!! The venue itself is... Read More absolutely stunning and the staff is superb!!! We walked into our reception and were blown away with how everything came together! It was a magical day, and if we had to do it over, we wouldn't change a thing!!! This venue is a MUST!!! Amazing, Amazing, Amazing!!!!!

Reviewed on 9/21/2015

"We experienced some communication issues with our first few wedding coordinators but then we met Bridget and she was fantastic. Bridget assured us she would handle everything and she could not have done a better job. She worked with our other vendors to make sure they had... Read More everything they needed and she even went to every person to make notes of their food selection to make the dinner service faster. Every single detail of the night was perfect and we are completely certain that if there had been a problem, Bridget would have fixed it. The room was absolutely beautiful. We felt like we had two receptions. The first half of the evening was light and the views through the windows were fantastic. That view was a large part of the reason we booked Roostertail. After watching a beautiful sunset the second half of our night began. The lights in the room are unlike anything we have ever seen at a wedding venue. The blue leds lights throughout the room with band playing in front of the colored fountains looked incredible. The food was excellent and Chef Paul went around to our guests to make sure they were happy. Many of our guests told us they appreciated this and we agreed that it was yet another classy detail in a superbly executed evening. Tom, the owner, was present wearing our wedding colors as well. June 19th 2015 was the greatest night of our lives and cannot we imagine having had our wedding anywhere else."

My dream come true!

Reviewed on 9/21/2015

We had our ceremony and reception at the Roostertail (7/24/15) and it was everything we could have dreamed for! Erica and the entire staff were the best so professional yet fun! I loved every bit of the experience. We were invited out for dinner and drinks at various events they... Read More held throughout the year and it made the entire wedding planning experience so worth it! The food is phenomenal, the decor and outdoor ceremony site was breathtaking!! The waterfront views are to die for! The amount of compliments we have received are outrageous! It truly is a beautiful venue! Beyond worth it! Im going to miss talking to Erica she was so great!

2015-09-21T11:18:33 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! We loved all of the unique touches you added to your big day that truly made your wedding stand out from the rest. We wish you many years of happiness and love!

Excellent Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 9/21/2015

Justin was the best coordinator a girl could ask for. He made sure everything was beautiful and perfect and our day was a fairy tale!!!

2015-09-21T11:19:00 Response from the vendor

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your big day! We wish you endless happiness and love.

Reviewed on 9/20/2015 Elizabeth H

My wedding was August 22 2015. It also happened to be the boat race weekend. We have the most amazing wedding pictures. We got to get on top of the Roostertail boat. Shawna gave us the best experience. She said yes to every request we had. There was nothing she wouldn't do... Read More for us. My wedding planning experience was so easy because the Roostertail does it all for you. The Roostertail is a Detroit landmark and is perfectly located on the Detroit riverfront. The Roostertail also gave is VIP passes to come back the following day and attend the boat races with food and drink vouchers. They treated us like royalty. Our guests raved about our wedding. See Shawna at the Roostertail if you want to have a phenomenal wedding planning experience.

2015-09-21T11:21:09 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for allowing us to be a part of your special day. It was a beautiful day and your GORGEOUS photo next to the Hydroplane will forever be hanging in our office. Best wishes, please see us again soon!

Choose THE ROOSTERTAIL for your wedding!

Reviewed on 9/11/2015 Kimberly M

We just want to say a huge thank you to everyone at The Roostertail for making our wedding day so memorable! It really was the best day of our lives and everything about the venue, food and ceremony was just perfect. SPECIAL thanks to Justin our wedding planner who made the... Read More whole process so relaxed, stress-free and enjoyable. His professionalism, true ability to listen to our desired vision and relationships with local vendors helped to create the most magical event and exceed our expectations! Our guests are still talking about the beautiful location and how much fun the wedding was! We would recommend this venue to anyone and from the guests comments so would they!! Kim & Alan - Columbus

Shawna saved our wedding!

Reviewed on 9/01/2015 Jamie V

Shawna and the Roostertail saved our wedding after our original reception venue cancelled on us just four months before our wedding! By some miracle, the Roostertail still had our June date available and Shawna was more than accommodating at putting our wedding together in such... Read More short notice. She made us a priority and went through our wish list and made everything happen for us! We were so grateful for her help and truly appreciated how empathetic she was to our situation. We trusted her with our wedding and we were able to essentially re-plan everything in record time. The day of the wedding, everything went perfectly. Everyone is still raving about how amazing the food was and we have had numerous people tell us it was the most fun they have ever had at a wedding and that the venue was absolutely beautiful. All of the staff members were professional and helpful and I couldn't believe how organized everything was at the end of the night! The cost may be higher than a lot of venues, but we truly feel it was worth what we paid! Thank you for an amazing night!

Shawna Peplinski

Reviewed on 4/14/2015

Shawna Peplinski is how I describe the Roostertail. Her ambition and carefulness to make sure everything will be good for my fiancee and I for our wedding is wonderful. She has made everything possible for us and easier than I can imagine. We are overseas for 8 months and I have... Read More not had one problem or any doubts to why our wedding will not be the absolute best. I really appreciate the work that Shawna and her team and the Roostertail has done for us. We are very pleased and thankful. Thanks again Shawna and the Roostertail.

Great Venue

Reviewed on 4/11/2015 Teresa L

Ask for Justin! We booked the Club room for a birthday party For about 45 guests. Their price includes your party planner (ours was Justin), soft drinks, food, the venue, and their full array of beautiful decorations, plus adult beverage tickets. We supplied a cake, favors,... Read More and some extra flowers. It doesn't get easier than that. Justin's knowledge and style and ideas have been invaluable to us. He's fast, efficient, easily accessible through phone and email, has a great sense of humor, and has been a great pleasure to work with. I would choose this venue ten times over for any special events or parties. They usually cater weddings proms, and array of parties. And I will continue to request working with Justin. You can't go wrong with this venue.

Terrible!!!!

Reviewed on 2/26/2015

We made an Appt for a tour of the Rooster Tail for our upcoming wedding venue. When we arrived, The Event Coordinator (Justin Bohn) never showed up at our scheduled time. In fact we stayed and waited for him while the girl in the office tried to contact him via cellphone. Justin... Read More NEVER answered his phone neither did he show up. We walked around while we waited and the Carpets had stains and duct tape on the floor. The place was a dirty mess. Thank you Justin for not showing up and making our minds up as to where we will have our wedding. We left and i emailed the owners in which it took 5 days for them to respond back to me. Never would i ever recommend the Rooster Tail to my friends or my friends dog for that matter!

Least Stressful Wedding Planning!!

Reviewed on 1/27/2015 Lindsey S

I'm a soon to be bride, currently planning my July 2015 wedding at the Roostertail, and I couldn't be more excited. First of all, my fiancee and I looked at approximately 25 different venues... when we walked into the Roostertail we both immediately looked at each other and... Read More thought "this is it... this is the place." My wedding coordinator Shawna (senior director of events & sales) has been a joy to work with in every aspect of our wedding planning. Without batting an eyelash, she responds to my phone calls and emails promptly and with great care... even if I just have one simple question about which type of chair sashes to use, or whether we should use round or square tables. Many of my friends keep mentioning how stressful wedding planning has been for them, and asking "how are you going to school full time and working and planning a wedding all at the same time??" ...and my answer is simple. Shawna & the staff at The roostertail have made it so easy!! We came for the tasting last year to pick out the menu for our wedding & the food was delicious. We got to meet the owner & learned a lot about the rich history of the venue and the many famous Motown performances and other local celebrities who put The Roostertail on the map as a historic Detroit landmark. We came back a few months ago to sit down, share our vision & plan more details of the wedding and were made to feel right at home. My parents even popped in recently on a weekday to ask some questions about the upcoming wedding without an appointment, and they said Shawna welcomed them and answered all of their questions & helped them understand the whole layout and how things will go the day of the wedding... With an anxious mother, it was such a relief to hear that she was put at ease after this meeting. Shawna has also given us great advice and suggestions from her many years of experience planning weddings about things that i would have never even thought of (i.e. don't serve a cheese platter during an outdoor cocktail hour in the middle of sweltering july heat). We have heard great things from friends who have hosted events here (weddings and proms), many of them mentioning Shawna in particular being the reason things went so smoothly. If you are given a different event coordinator - not to worry! Many of them consult with Shawna for supervision on the event planning anyways. She has shown us that she will go above & beyond to make sure our wedding is nothing short of a fairy tale, and I highly recommend considering the Roostertail as your venue if you want all the bells and whistles of a gorgeous wedding with the least amount of stress.

Erica & Jason 12-31-14 wedding

Reviewed on 1/15/2015

The Roostertail is an fantastic place, From the moment my fiancee and I walked in we knew this was the place. The service, food, and atmosphere was amazing. Shawna made sure that every detail was covered. Our Dec. 31st 2014 dream wedding will be a day that will always be... Read More remembered. Shawna thanks for everything you exceeded our expectation.... Sincerely, Mr.Mitchell