Sanderling Resort

Duck, NC

Outer Banks Only Full Service Resort

The Sanderling Resort and Spa located in Duck, NC on the Atlantic Ocean and Currituck Sound is the only full-service resort in the Outer Banks. Our experienced wedding coordinators and recommended vendors will assist with every aspect of your destination wedding.

• Outdoor - Covered

Ballroom, Waterfront, Beach, Hotel, Loft, Park, Restaurant, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

1461 Duck Rd, Duck, NC (877) 574-8219

Reviewed on 2/02/2017 Kellie L

The Sanderling Resort goes above and beyond on everything. From the moment we toured the venue, we knew this was the place to get married. Everyone is incredibly friendly, courteous, and knowledgable. With its views of the Sound and the Ocean, you cannot get a better location.... Read More Before our wedding, I would have written a 5-star review about the Sanderling and gush about its impressive qualities. However, it's what happened during our wedding that has made me a life-long loyal guest. We got married during Hurricane Matthew. The week leading up to the wedding was tortuous as we awaited what would happen to the wedding we had planned for two-and-a-half years. It was excruciating. Yet, Taylor and the Sanderling staff never wavered in their positivity. We knew we were in extremely capable hands. The wedding was beautiful and everything went smoothly, even if the plans abruptly changed. The Sanderling knows what it's doing. You can trust them and let them take the lead--even during a Hurricane.

Reviewed on 1/17/2017 Erika P

Debbie Norris and the Sanderling were fantastic. They were incredibly helpful and professional from start to finish. Everything we envisioned and requested came to reality on the big day with no issues. The food provided was so delicious...all of our guests raved over it. Many... Read More of our guests stayed at the resort over the weekend and could not get over how nice it was. I would definitely recommend The Sanderling as a wedding venue and we plan to go back to stay for a few nights again as soon as possible.

Reviewed on 12/08/2016 Mallory M

The Sanderling Resort and Debbie (wedding/event planner at the resort) did a wonderful job with my wedding. I wanted my experience to be stress free and thats exactly what it was!! The resort is very beautiful and perfect for an Outer Banks beach wedding. The elopement package... Read More that I chose was perfect for the small, intimate wedding I was wanting. The vendors for my cake, flowers, and decor that I was set up did a wonderful job and were able to match my vision. The food provided for my wedding by the resort was also very good. Overall I had a great experience and highly recommend choosing the Sanderling!

Reviewed on 12/07/2016 Alyssa C

The Sanderling Resort: the PERFECT spot to get married. Period. As if the beauty of the OBX isn't already enough, you get the best of both worlds as the property encompasses both the beach AND sound sides of the island. We had two events hosted at the Sanderling: our rehearsal... Read More dinner and wedding (including ceremony & reception). The venue alone is a lovely backdrop with gorgeous facilities and well equipped to handle anything you could possibly dream of- but you also get INCREDIBLE people. Our wedding planner, Taylor, was absolutely fabulous. She made wedding planning a breeze and during crunch time the week before the wedding with many unplanned obstacles she kept her cool- or rather the cool of everybody-and solved every little issue that came up- with a calming smile on her face. Taylor not only excelled at the more expected wedding planner roles, but she went way above and beyond with her thoughtfulness and attention to detail. Her thoughtfulness helped create a very touching moment between me and my godfather at the rehearsal dinner. The day of the wedding we had a delay with the transportation and she quickly addressed the issue and the ceremony still started almost exactly on time and the rest of the evening went off without a hitch. At a meeting with Taylor a couple months before the wedding she assured me I would be able to eat, drink and dance at my own wedding. Admittedly, I was a little doubtful as I had so many warnings from other brides that you just don't have time between visiting with guests and performing all the wedding "duties" i.e. cake cutting etc. Well, I did ALL of those things to my heart's desire as Taylor as created a seamless timeline that allowed my husband and I to literally have the night of our lives. There isn't near enough space here to describe all the wonderful things about the Sanderling- but everything: the place, the STAFF (best bartenders, waiters & support staff ever!!), the food (THANKS CHEF!!)... all top notch!

Reviewed on 11/16/2016 Siobhan M

The Sanderling is gorgeous and hands-down the best place on the Outer Banks to have your wedding reception - Debbie is a powerhouse who just gets things DONE and she does an expert job of taking care of the bride the entire time - even when we experienced a major family crisis... Read More the day before the wedding, Debbie was there to make sure I was doing alright, and everything still went off without a hitch! You can't beat the food, and the sunsets are absolutely breathtaking. Would give it 6 stars if I could!!

Reviewed on 11/10/2016 Molly E

I cannot even begin to describe our AMAZING experience with the Sanderling Resort. My husband and I were married there in late September of 2016 (beautiful time of year down there by the way!) and the entire process could not have been more special, more well-organized, or more... Read More thoughtful. From the beginning, our wedding coordinator Taylor (and her assistant Kristin) was so incredibly helpful and accessible. She was SUPER responsive to every phone call, email, or general question and always had time to chat and offer creative input with a positive attitude. The facility itself is GORGEOUS! We were married on the North Beach (toes in the sand and everything) and then had our cocktail hour and reception in the Event House/Deck. It was the perfect amount of space for us-we had about 70 people and we comfortably filled the Event House dining space. The banquet staff and bartender were lovely and the food was phenomenal!! I've never heard so many compliments at a wedding about the food! One of the best things we did was offer our guests a signature cocktail as they came down to the ceremony and the resort was completely accommodating with helping us do that. I recommend planning a sort of "after-party" for your wedding guests since everything at the resort pretty much shuts down around 10pm (due to a sound ordinance). We reserved space at the No. 5 Bar & Lounge above the Lifesaving Station right on the property and it stayed open till about 2am.....definitely a great post-game spot for the true night owls! I really can't say enough about the Sanderling. My family and I have gone there throughout the years and have always loved it but now it holds an even more special place in our hearts! Please seriously consider the resort as a wedding venue location in the Outer Banks. And if you have the pleasure of working with Taylor, then your experience will be that much more wonderful. :)

Reviewed on 11/05/2016 Allie Y

Working with the Sanderling made planning a destination wedding a breeze. I work in the industry and knew this venue would live up to my high expectations while taking great care of me and my guests. My mother and my bridesmaids raved about how stress free the weekend was for... Read More them and I owe a lot of that to Taylor and her awesome team. She was open to any of my suggestions and made the planning process and weekend of so smooth. If you're looking at the Outer Banks, you already know the location is gorgeous. You choose Sanderling because of the excellent service, great food, and fabulous sunsets.

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Catherine M

We hosted our rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception at the Sanderling Resort and we could not be more satisfied with the quality of service we received. The Sanderling is a beautiful resort and their staff is nothing short of phenomenal. We had the... Read More pleasure of working with their event coordinator, Taylor, who made every aspect of our event flow seamlessly. There is no one else who we would rather have collaborated with in planning our special day. The entire Sanderling staff goes so far beyond to ensure that your entire party has the best experience in every aspect of their stay. If we started listing examples, this review would never end. Our guests loved that the resort had everything that they needed in one convenient location, rooms, pool, beach, spa, gym, and several restaurants. Many of our guests were first time visitors to the Outer Banks and due to their experience at the Sanderling we have been told by many, that it will not be their last.

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Jodi S

Debbie Norris (wedding coordinator) and the staff of The Sanderling Resort were incredible during planning as well as the actual events associated with my daughter's dream wedding. They worked diligently throughout, were an absolute pleasure to deal with, and, quite honestly,... Read More worked miracles making her beach wedding happen in spite of Hurricane Matthew! It was an amazing experience. Family and friends are still talking about how wonderful The Sanderling Resort is, and how this wedding was the best one ever attended. I wouldn't change a thing. Best memories ever...

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Abigail S

From the beginning, Debbie Norris and the Sanderling were exceptional. I attended the Sanderling Wedding Showcase and first met Debbie and other vendors there, and even though she was one of the busiest people present, she took out time to sit with me and talk about my wedding... Read More vision and how we would achieve it. I hadn't visited any other venues, and I no longer wanted to. I was completely sold! Professional, detail-oritented, kind, caring, organized...they were the whole package and more. She consistently remained in contact with me, and I still felt comfortable being 8 hours away from our venue. She and others were extremely patient with my indecisiveness and weekly questions, which she answered quickly. Her ability to talk me through each stage of the wedding process and especially all of words of encouragement on the day of my wedding and before I walked down the aisle will always be remembered. Initially my parents felt some sticker-shock, but on the day-of and once everything was complete, they were over the moon with happiness of how everything (every single thing imaginable) was taken care of with such grace, knowledge, and preciseness, and we wouldn't have changed a thing. My mother continues to comment on what a blessing it was to have her as a wedding coordinator, and that the level they work at is unmatched. It truly is amazing what she and her Sanderling team accomplishes, and I highly recommend them as a venue for any celebration or wedding. THE absolute best!!

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Rebecca E

We had an amazing wedding at The Sanderling Resort. Our wedding planned Debbie and her team did such a good job of taking care of all of the details and making the day run so smoothly, while letting us create a unique wedding that really felt personal to us that reflected our... Read More personalities. The resort and location are beautiful and elegant, but still relaxed. Working with a venue that had an on-site caterer made the planning process simple, and the food was outstanding. We did a Mexican themed rehearsal dinner and a modern Southern-themed wedding dinner, both menus were delicious (and we're picky about opinionated about food) and personalized for us. All of the recommended vendors we worked with were fantastic from Renee Landry Events, to Great Cakes and Club Violin. We loved having all of our guests and all of the wedding events (rehearsal dinner, wedding, brunch) at the same place. It made everything easy and maximized our time with our friends and family. I can't recommend The Sanderling highly enough.

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Stacey P

It's not very often that something exceeds expectations like the Sanderling did. My new husband and I live in Oregon, but were looking to have our wedding on the East Coast closer to family. He had lived in the Outer Banks years ago and suggested the location. We booked the... Read More venue before I had a chance to visit. Months later at their annual wedding showcase, I was blown away by the beauty of the resort, friendly staff, and delicious food! Once we got to planning, Debbie Norris was the best! She was so patient and responsive to all of our e-mails, even responding once when she was boarding a plane. I'm convinced she doesn't take time off and is always working hard for her couples! The planning process couldn’t have gone more smoothly, especially from across the country. On our wedding day, everything was beyond perfect. We had dropped some things off at the venue with the intent to set up, but Debbie took care of it all! Everything looked better than we could have imagined. If we could plan the wedding over (and I wish we could), we wouldn't do one thing differently. We are so thankful for Debbie and the Sanderling team! We can't wait to make more memories there in the future!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016

We were looking for a destination wedding venue for family located all over the US. We found Sanderling Resort, read the reviews and then had a call with Debbie Norris who is the Special Event Manager. From that first call, Debbie was straightforward, honest and was willing to... Read More work with my daughter to make this the special day she dreamed about. We booked the date and venue and this became the most wonderful, least stressful wedding on the planet. Debbie worked with Tracy to select colors, menu, etc. Once the details were finalized, there was little else to plan for other than selecting home rentals at Duck for the various families attending the wedding. Wedding Day dawned with rain blowing sideways and a chill in the air even though it was June. Debbie called first thing in the morning and walked us through 3 different game plans, depending on what the weather continued to do. Luckily, Tracy and Chris were able to be married on the beach, with blue sky and sunlight in the late afternoon. On to the reception, which was outstanding on every level. The hors d'oerves were excellent as was every aspect of the meal. The wedding cake was perfect for a beach wedding and Debbie added a lot of wonderful touches to the decorations, flowers, etc. We enjoyed sitting outside listening to the ocean and later enjoyed a bon fire with after dinner drinks. It was a magical evening for everyone who came to celebrate with us. And, while our wedding group was on the smaller side, Debbie and all the Sanderling staff made us feel like we were the most important wedding they'd ever done. I can't recommend Debbie Norris, the Sanderling staff and the venue enough if you are looking for a top notch wedding location and experience that is still on the more reasonable side.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Emily O

My husband and I had our dream wedding at The Sanderling. Throughout the planning process the Sanderling was a dream to work with. We started planning about a year in advance, and I was warned by just about everyone I talked to that plenty of things would go wrong on my... Read More wedding day and I'd just have to take that in stride. As a bit of a perfectionist, that was a hard pill to swallow and I kept preparing myself for things to go wrong but the magic of working with the Sanderling is that they never did. I worked with an amazing planner on staff there. Debbie was an absolute dream. Whenever I had a question, she had a quick response with an answer. She's worked with so many vendors on the island, so she's established relationships with every single one of them. This helps a ton in the final days when everything is coming together. The staff at the Sanderling is truly professional, and they will take care of your friends and family as if they are your own. Debbie's enthusiasm for my wedding was genuine and helped me feel even more enthusiastic about my big day (even when I was a ball of nerves!) I would highly recommend attending their wedding showcase, which they put on for all couples getting married at the Sanderling. Not only will it give you a sense of the quality of service and food (which was MINDBLOWINGLY DELICIOUS) but it gives you a sense of how that would work for a wedding of 100+ people. I think we were all sold when we realized that the food didn't taste like bland wedding food, it was restaurant quality and a nice restaurant at that! For our wedding, we opted for stations - which gave our guests the choice of mixing and matching their own selections. The food at our wedding received rave reviews (and yes, even as the bride and groom we got to eat - our coordinator made sure of that). The venue itself is one of a kind. The pavilion is the perfect space to transform into your dream venue, it's a big open room with a beautiful view of the Currituck sound. You can be married on the beach, showcasing the beautiful Atlantic ocean, and have your guests see the sunset during dinner over on the sound side in the pavilion. I think every single one of our guests marveled at the sunset the night of our wedding. Plus, the Sanderling has so many touches they are willing to add to make your big day that much more special. I think my husband had some reservations about essentially having our wedding and reception at a hotel, but the Sanderling never felt like a hotel. It felt more like a home for our closest friends and family. I would highly, highly recommend the Sanderling to anyone who is considering having a wedding on the Outer Banks - or just getting married period. You won't regret it! My only regret is that our wedding is over!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Shelley F

The Sanderling did an amazing job with our wedding! Debbie was a dream to work with and knew exactly what we wanted. I felt like I just had to walk into that day without a worry or concern and I was able to enjoy myself Everything was flawlessly taken care of. My husband and I... Read More can't stop talking about how perfect everything was. We also loved our bartender from the Rehearsal Dinner at Keeper's Loft to the reception at the Event Deck/House. Thanks again to the Sanderling and most importantly to Debbie!!

Reviewed on 7/17/2016 Kimberly S

Debbie @ Sanderling made the day absolutely perfect. She was keenly aware of the weather and flawlessly executed a day-of change in ceremony & reception locations. She pushed to get our ceremony outdoors and the weather was perfect and the views were stunning. More importantly,... Read More even, the entire resort staff was super friendly and accomodating. Miguel helped us with our bags at check-in and check-out, and he even remembered we'd been married th day prior and congratulated us! The little things were all there and the entire weekend was spectacular. 10/10 would recommend to any bride whose heart is set on getting married at the beach.

Reviewed on 5/24/2016 Shelby B

This was the best venue for a beach wedding! It's beautiful and the staff is so incredibly helpful and sweet! They worked so hard to make my wedding truly magical and I could not thank them enough!

Reviewed on 5/19/2016 sarah b

I had such an amazing experience using the Sanderling as my wedding venue. I never write reviews but felt compelled to after the extraordinary service we had. Taylor, our planner through the Sanderling, handled everything flawlessly from start to finish. With only 2 months to... Read More plan, she helped us navigate the wedding planning and made it stress-free. I never realized the importance behind having someone help the day run smoothly until Taylor did just that. The Sanderling was also like no other; peaceful and serene. Our suite had ocean to sound views and they went above and beyond to fulfill every request. I couldn't have imagined a better wedding/resort experience and can't wait to come back for our one-year anniversary. Thank you Taylor & The Sanderling! -Sarah & Max

Reviewed on 2/23/2016 Liam K

The Sanderling Resort gave us a dream wedding and was enjoyed by our out-of-town guests. It's a perfect location and delivers exceptional service. Upon checking in we were immediately greeted by name and given the VIP treatment. The ceremony was perfect and picturesque, and... Read More the reception was first class. The food and service was outstanding and our guests went wild for the Bacon Bar. If you are looking to plan an OBX wedding, get in touch with Debbie Norris. She made life easy on us and was with us from planning through the ceremony and until the last guest left the reception. Her recommendations for vendors were exceptional. Being out-of-towners we could not have pulled off our incredible wedding day without Debbie.

Reviewed on 10/25/2015

Debbie Norris and her staff provided an exceptional experience from start to finish! Weather your from out of state like us or local, the Sanderling Resort provides the support and professionalism for a perfect wedding. We strongly encourage everyone to expirence the wonderful... Read More staff and beautiful accommodation of the Sandling Resort!!!!

Reviewed on 10/11/2015 Allison C

The Sanderling is the most beautiful place to get married!, The staff is very professional and inviting from the second you get out of your car to the front, desk, restaurants, house cleaning Etc. Debbie Norris was our coordinator and Taylor her assistant. They both went over... Read More and beyond to make sure we had the perfect wedding. Debbie is very experienced in her profession and we felt very comfortable with her making any decisions, changes that were in our best interest. Debbie works very well with other vendors, keeping them updated with changes, itineraries etc. We love that she is a risk taker and allowed us to get married outside when weather was in question, and most all made it possible for our two dogs to be a part of our wedding! I am one with a type A personality and likes to be in control, and for one of the first times in my life had no reservation with her taking the lead. For any future brides looking for a magical place...this is a sure thing and any bride would be lucky to have Debbie make it all so to the best of her ability!

Reviewed on 10/02/2015 Jennifer G

Our wedding was less than two weeks ago and we cannot help but dream of being back at the Sanderling. The Outer Banks is a gorgeous backdrop, but the Sanderling elevated our wedding, creating an incredible weekend that we will always cherish and remember fondly. Without a doubt,... Read More the Sanderling is the premier wedding venue on the Outer Banks. There are many stunning ceremony and reception locations within the resort, highlighting both the ocean and the sound. For our events, we utilized the Event House, the Event Lawn, and the Pavilion. With each unique setting, we were able to experience a distinctive ambiance. We became engaged at the Sanderling and we have stayed at the resort a number of times, so it was exciting to see friendly and familiar faces as we checked in for our wedding week. When Staci, our beloved bartender greeted us with warm hugs, it felt like we were being welcomed home! The Sanderling staff is exceptional. From the front desk and valet staff to the housekeepers, everyone we encountered warmly welcomed and congratulated us. We were so excited to share our love of the Sanderling with our family and friends. The resort exceeded their expectations and many guests have reached out to us to say that it was the best wedding they have ever attended. Many guests have expressed that the food was outstanding, some of the best dishes they have ever tasted! The Sanderling's facilities and dining options are top-notch and the beach speaks for itself. Our family and friends fell in love with the resort’s casual, yet elegant ambiance and many plan to return for vacation! We feel incredibly fortunate to have worked with Alicia, our event coordinator; she is absolutely phenomenal. Alicia was incredibly patient throughout the year, answering our questions, directly answering the questions of family members, securing the most accessible guest room for my handicapped grandmother, the list goes on, but most importantly she calmed our nerves. With our hectic and unpredictable work schedules, it was easy for us to overlook dozens of details, which Alicia was consistently on top of. With Alicia at the helm, we were able to relax and enjoy the days leading up to our wedding, fully confident that she would pull off a spectacular event. We both appreciate and we will never forget the composure Alicia and Taylor brought to us on our wedding day! Our day was truly magical thanks to Alicia, Taylor, and Staci, along with the rest of the Sanderling staff. It was difficult to leave the Sanderling after an amazing week, but we know we will be back many times to create memories as a married couple!

Wedding

Reviewed on 8/18/2015 Sara B

Best venue in the northern outerbanks!

Reviewed on 8/06/2015 Tanya T

We loved Alicia and her team! She made our special day stress free. The resort was a perfect location for our wedding. We highly recommend having your wedding at the Sanderling!

Reviewed on 6/05/2015 Megan C

I cannot say enough about The Sanderling and Alicia Tonione making our wedding perfect. Alicia is incredible, she thinks of everything, and is a thoughtful and kind person. The Sanderling is beautiful, easy to work with, and does most of the work for you. I spent my wedding day... Read More getting ready, spending time with family, and getting married! - not worrying about a thing when it came to the details of the day. The staff really took care of us, our wedding party, and all of our guests. We got really lucky with amazing weather - had the ceremony on the beach, the cocktail hour on the event lawn, then the reception in the pavillon soundside. The food was incredible and we are still getting comments about it from guests. It was a perfect day and we could not have asked for more!

Start a Conversation!