The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Weddings at Shadowland on Silver Beach in St. Joseph, Michigan promise to be once-in-a-lifetime events. Whether you prefer to exchange vows in the patio or in lavish style in the ballroom, Shadowland on Silver Beach provides just the event space you desire. This expansive and luxurious venue is ideal for both ceremonies and receptions.

The Ballroom. Ornate chandeliers and tasteful decor set an understated tone of elegance throughout the ballroom. The polished, wood dance floor with its herringbone pattern offers a charming feel. A wall of windows looks out onto the patio and French doors provide convenient access to this overflow space. The capacity for the ballroom ranges between 250 and 300, depending on your event and layout.

Outdoor Patio. The patio serves aptly for a ceremony or cocktail hour with the main reception in the ballroom.

The staff at Shadowland on Silver Beach is happy to assist you with your many wedding details. One of the benefits of a wedding at Shadowland on Silver Beach is the all-inclusive nature of the venue. The on-site wedding planner assists you with the planning phase and will be there to help coordinate the entire event from start to finish on the day of your wedding.

Weddings at Shadowland on Silver Beach include use of the facility for six hours. You can enter the ballroom as early as 10 a.m. to decorate. The clock begins ticking when your reception begins. Your event must conclude by 11:30 p.m.

Every event includes use of all event spaces, tables and banquet chairs, tableware, linens in a variety of colors, microphones, wireless Internet, adjustable lighting, audio system, CD player, iPod input and use of a special photo show software for slideshows. Your entertainer needs to bring an independent sound system for music. Your guests have free on-site parking in the resort parking lot and the venue is handicap accessible.

The event staff performs all setup and breakdown of furniture and equipment. Decorations must be affixed with methods that don't harm surfaces. Candles are permissible, but must be enclosed in flameproof containers. If you decorate the event spaces, you need to remove the decorations by midnight.

Enhancements are available with an upgrade charge.

• Projectors and screens are available

Bring your celebration to the shores of Lake MI!

Footsteps from Silver Beach, Shadowland offers you a picturesque backdrop of glistening water, crimson sunsets, a quaint lighthouse and Victorian-era downtown. It is a beautiful destination all four seasons. This is your place for making unforgettable memories.

Ballroom, Waterfront, Beach

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

333 Broad St., St. Joseph, MI (269) 932-1128

Unique Venue AMAZING experience

Reviewed on 11/03/2014

My sister saw Shadowland Ballroom in a local wedding magazine and my husband I knew instantly it was the perfect venue for us. One week after we were engaged, we drove out to Michigan from the burbs of Chicago to see it in person. It was even more beautiful than the pictures!!... Read More Meeting Nicole on that first day was just what we needed, she was warm and welcoming and answered all of our questions. We never looked at another venue. We were in love with Shadowland and Silver Beach Center!!! We used this incredible venue as the inspiration for our wedding theme and many other aspects of our special day. Booking here was the best decision we made through our entire wedding process. The location is breathtaking. With Lake Michigan right near by, you really get that coastal destination feel. Cheyenne was a life saver! She was always there emailing or calling me to answer ANY question I had, or making all my crazy requests a reality. You will have nothing to worry about knowing her and her crew will be running your special day. The food was OUTSTANDING. Best wedding food I've ever had. We did plated entrees and our guests raved about the food. We got nothing but fantastic feedback about the food and service! Our signature drinks were a big hit as well. Tasty. PLEASE take my word for it....you will not be disappointed if you book at Shadowland. It is top notch. If you're looking for a unique experience for your guests in a friendly lakeside town... There is no one other place like Shadowland in St. Joe. They will make sure your wedding is everything you always imagined it to be!

Hey Brides: If you want a place where all of your wedding requests and/or demands become a reality -- Book Shadowland Ballroom!

Reviewed on 7/21/2015 Erin T

First and foremost, this was one of the best weddings I have ever been to, and I’m not just saying that because it was me, myself, and I who got married. I say that because it honestly was awesome. I have heard from numerous people that they loved the venue and many are coming... Read More back to St Joe for future vacations. From the events leading up to our special day, to the ceremony site, and finally to the reception everything worked out according to plan. Even the weather cooperated! And for that I want to give a huge shout out to Mother Nature, you rocked girl! Our wedding ceremony was held at the Shadowland Pavilion. It was an amazing venue and I cannot wait to see our professional pictures. Having the background of the canal and the lighthouse just made this place more special. I always wanted a beach wedding without the sand in my dress, and this was definitely the place for me. Everything went according to plan and once all the “serious” stuff was over we were ready to party! The wedding reception site was at The Shadowland Ballroom or as I like to call it “The 2nd Disney” because it is a place where dreams really do come true! Honestly, there were only 3 things that I really cared about as a bride: The reception venue, the liquor choices, and the DJ. Shadowland was an absolute perfect venue for these reasons. From the water cannons right outside the patio windows, to the carousel, everything was extremely beautiful. The reason this day was such a success was because of Cheyenne. From Day 1 she was extremely helpful and always had an efficient response time to emails and/or phone calls. When I hesitantly asked her if they could provide a specific type of rum and whiskey (not thinking that they could and that we would be stuck with Captain and Jack), she without hesitation said “No Problem!” My immediate reaction was shock followed by extreme excitement. When I told her what we would like our Bride and Groom specialty drinks to be, I was shocked when she said that they could make Mojito’s (with fresh mint!) and Sweet Carolina Sweet Tea Vodka and lemonade. All in all, they were almost overly accommodating. I thought for sure they would deny one of my requests, but that did not happen. They truly made this day even more perfect than we ever could have imagined and for that we say thank you! Pros: Seriously everything. Cheyenne rocks! The bartenders were great. Most of the time you go to a wedding and the drinks are not strong at all and they are served in glasses better suited for my 3-year old nephew. These drinks were solid and it was evident by all the dancing (albeit terrible) on the dance floor. The food was amazing as well. Our menu consisted of these choices: the delicious bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin, honey sesame chicken, or the Cajun tortellini. I had the pork because let’s be honest anything wrapped in bacon is delicious. And boy was it yummy! My husband ordered the Cajun tortellini and he loved it. I talked to a couple of people who had the chicken and they seemed to be very satisfied as well. Everyone seemed exceptionally pleased with their meal as I heard zero complaints. The best part about the dinner was that they have pretzel rolls with the salad. It was a nice change from the usual boring dinner roll! Cons: When we called for a cab ride home, they told us it would be 2 hours! We could have called back home to Detroit and the guy would have gotten there quicker..

Enchanting Engagement

Reviewed on 7/08/2015 Christa B

My husband and I recently were married on June 26th, 2015. We both live in Lafayette, Indiana and knew we wanted to have a destination, beach wedding that wasn't too far for our friends and families to attend. From the moment we started looking around the St, Joseph area, we... Read More knew we wanted to get married there. We just needed to find the perfect reception venue! After a day of barns, ballrooms and a reception venue that shared a restroom with a nursing home, we fell in love with the Shadowland Ballroom! It was such a relief to walk into such a beautiful venue. I instantly envisioned myself sipping champagne, in my ivory gown, toasting my loved ones and new husband. The search was over! From the moment the planning process began, Nicole and Cheyenne were there to put me at ease. If I was overwhelmed and needed answers quick, they never let me down. As the wedding week arrived, I had many last minute changes to make and questions to be answered. They never made me feel like I was a burden. When the wedding day arrived, and I walked into the ballroom, I knew I would never forget the way I felt. They made sure all of the special touches were taken care of. They truly made sure my special day was perfect! Any bride who is considering the Shadowland Ballroom, I wholeheartedly recommend this venue. You will not regret having your reception at this extraordinary ballroom.

Reviewed on 1/15/2017 Kinsey M

The day after I got engaged, I headed straight for Shadowland Ballroom to book my venue, because there was no question as to where I wanted to spend my big day. December 10th 2016 was our date. Although in the back of my mind I was slightly scared of a winter wedding in... Read More Michigan, Shadowland directors and employees easily put my concern to rest and made my day absolutely flawless. Venue: I had both my ceremony and reception in the ballroom, and the staff was almost too good at flipping the entire room over to the reception once the ceremony was over; it took them a mere 15 minutes. Our 135 guests & DJ fit with ease, and we had plenty of space left to have corn hole in the Sunset Room (a windowed area inside the Ballroom). I had a mix of kings tables and rounds, which sat 8-12 people per table. I really loved that option, because I was able to sit bigger families/groups of friends together. Since we had the ceremony in the Ballroom, & the staff needed to move pre-set tables and chairs for our reception, we took the opportunity to rent the Boardwalk all night (the large hallway outside of the ballroom) with a satellite bar, and the carousel for a half hour. Having the carousel was a complete hit, every single one of my guests had a smile on their face. The carousel is handicap-friendly, so even grandma in her wheelchair could ride that night. I personally found the temperature of the building & the level of music satisfying. Food: If I had a dollar for every compliment I've gotten on our wedding meal, I could have our wedding all over again. The amount of gluten-free options will surprise you, & their veggie options are just as scrumptious as you would hope. We decided on the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus for our meat plate, and it did not disappoint. The in-house chef is most talented, diligently serving our well-presented plated meals at desired temperature, making you feel like your plate was his only place of focus. Although they do not allow catering, I had a "special" plate, which was a pizza for one of my guests with autism. It was absolutely no problem for them to present his pizza to him as they presented the rest of my guest's meals. Staff: The ease at which this place is ran is astonishing. The six years & hundreds of brides worth of experience executive director Nicole Beltz has from running Shadowland shows immediately in the first meeting. She is incredibly knowledgable, & has the exact calming presence a bride or groom-to-be needs. Amy Parnell, wedding event manager, was at my side every step of the way. Any question I came up with, rather it was every-so-often or 3 emails in one day, she promptly catered to my every need. Amy was always an email or phone call away & she personally oversaw the entire evening, assuring it would be as perfect as it could possibly be. The bartenders were quick and social, and were never caught without a smile, and the wait staff was just as speedy & kind. It truly did feel like the most well-oiled wedding I've ever experienced. Jim Pruiett, building manager, conducted the room change between ceremony & reception hastily & flawlessly. Anything we needed from the Ballroom, such as an easel for my seating chart or a last minute table, Jim responded immediately & always delivered better than what I had asked for. If I could relive my special day 100x's I would, & every time it would be at Shadowland Ballroom; I could not have asked for anything better.

Reviewed on 1/15/2017 Melissa D

This is such a unique venue! The outside is just as beautiful as the ballroom. It's very reasonably priced for what you receive with the packages compared to other venues in the area. The serving staff and bartenders were so nice to our guests during the reception. The food is... Read More all delicious and their signature sangria was a favorite with our party. Having our reception at this venue was one of the best decisions we could have made as our guests still talk about their amazing experience. We did have a few minor communication errors but the Shadowland staff made every effort to solve our concerns. They are very professional and kind people who truly want you to have the best experience possible.

Reviewed on 12/01/2016 Jon N

Where do we begin?! From the first moment of speaking to Nicole to the last moment of walking out the door after our amazing day, we felt the love from ALL of the staff at Shadowland. The location was PERFECT. The weather was GREAT! The food was FANTASTIC! And Mandy! Ohhh... Read More Mandy... She was SPECTACULAR with her vision of our cupcakes/cake! :) And then there's Amy.... My oh my what a wonderful Wedding Manager, coordinator, nerve calmer--all of the above! She was with us 100% of the way and answered ANYTHING and did EVERYTHING to make our day perfect. The staff was superb and hats off to the Chef(s) as well. The food was out of this world and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. If you are interested in booking here, just do it. Everything was great. EVERYONE was great... and We are forever grateful for making this experience a day that we will NEVER forget! Best. Day. Ever!!!!!!!!

Reviewed on 11/17/2016 Tiffany P

The shadowland was great! Everyone we worked with was very helpful and always accessible by phone and email. I never had to chase anyone down. The best part was they provide you with a list of local vendors. Being from out of state this was incredibly helpful! It saved me the... Read More trouble of having to search for our florist, photographer, etc...They coordinated with all of our vendors and saved me the headache. We opted to rent out the carousel for our guests during cocktail hour. Best decision ever! Everyone loved it and a month later people are still talking about the carousel..... the adults loved it more than the kids! St. Joseph is a beautiful town and Shadowland is right in the middle of everything. Guests were able to walk to the ceremony location and there were plenty of hotels nearby. Plus there are tons of great locations for photos.

Reviewed on 11/09/2016 Jamie C

Chris and I loved Shadowland Ballroom and all the staff there! St. Joseph, MI was our first thought when it came to choosing a venue since most of my extended family lives in Michigan and Chris's family is in Illinois (so are we). Shadowland was the first and only venue we... Read More visited and we were excited immediately! They had our date open which was most important (we got married on our 10th year anniversary) and they were super affordable versus the Chicagoland area. Since I work in the wedding industry I knew cost was going to be a huge factor but Shadowland was an amazing venue for a great price. All the staff we worked with including Nicole, Amy, and Mandy were so helpful and made all of our decisions easy. They were extremely flexible which was a must for us being an out-of-state couple. They day of the wedding went smoothly and couldn't have been more perfect! We had chose to have our ceremony at a pavilion on the beach and the weather was perfect for our September wedding. The Ballroom looked amazing and all of our guests loved the space! We got so many complements! Chris and I could not have asked for a more perfect wedding and location. We greatly appreciate all the help from everyone at Shadowland Ballroom and would highly recommend them to anyone!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Andrea H

When it was time for us to choose our venue, my fiancé and I knew we wanted a place that ideally was near Lake Michigan, would hold a larger number of guests, and have the benefit of being temperature controlled. Shadowland was the perfect spot. Our guests loved the ability to... Read More walk to the beach for sunset, sip a cocktail on the patio, and ride the carousel. Nicole, Amy, and Cheyenne were all a dream to work with. They operate like oh well-oiled machine, were incredibly accommodating, and always available to field our questions. On the day of the wedding, Amy was present to receive our vendors, coordinate with our DJ, photographer, and videographer to ensure that the timeline ran smoothly. Amy was very professional and worked with us with our seating plan, food, and beverage packages. We were able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food preferences without any trouble. We heard from our guests that the food was great and they had so much fun! Amy also handled placing and picking up our late-night pizza order from Silver Beach pizza --which was quite a hit from our guests. I would recommend this venue wholeheartedly to the bride that plans ahead. For very obvious reasons, this venue tends to book up quickly!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Kerry W

Shadowland was a big part of making our perfect day just that. From the food, to the staff, to the overall atmosphere, our day could not have gone smoother. Amy was there from the beginning to help me with any and all questions that arose during set up and the event itself. We... Read More had a September wedding with a Roadtrip theme. We continue to receive compliments from our guests about what an unforgettable wedding it was. Thanks Shadowland!

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Tracy R

Shadowlands was the most perfect venue. The staff was professional and fun! So helpful in making everything come together.

Reviewed on 9/28/2016 Lauren H

My wedding was absolutely amazing thanks to the wonderful staff at shadowland! They were so supportive and helpful right from the start. Amy was amazing to work with, and made my dream wedding a reality! The food, signature drinks, and dessert were so delicious; our guests raved... Read More about it afterwards. I can't thank shadowland enough!

Reviewed on 9/25/2016

While I don't believe we were their first same sex wedding, I believe we were the first gay couple (guys). The team at Shadowlands made our day amazing from start to finish. From the first day we met with them to Amy wishing us a happy honeymoon at the end of the event,... Read More Shadowlands was excellent. Key to their success is the mock wedding they do once a year. This really helped to finalize plans and really understand what our event could be like. The food was simply amazing. Our guests raved and raved at how good the food was (we did a combo plate of the bacon wrapped tenderloin and whiskey bbq salmon) Also with the carousel rental next door and the proximity to Silver Beach, this was the perfect venue. The also provided a list of preferred vendors which made the rest of the planning simple. The value for what we received was also incredible. Personal service. Anytime we had a question they were always happy to help.

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Melissa M

We could not have asked for a better place to have held our wedding reception. We wanted a beach wedding but did not trust to brave the Michigan ever changing weather and this was the next best thing! We were close enough to the beach that we were able to get amazing pictures... Read More and our guests were able to enjoy it as well! The staff was beyond amazing and everything ran smoothly. We had many comments from guests and vendors of how organized everything was. The food did not disappoint. If we had to choose all over again, we would quickly choose Shadowland Ballrooms.

Reviewed on 9/16/2016 Christina M

Anyone that is getting married in the St. Joseph area has to check out Shadowland. Deciding to have our wedding reception there was the best decision we made! Cheyenne, Amy, and Nicole are all incredibly professional, flexible and are quick to respond to emails (I always got a... Read More response within a couple hours of sending an email, even if the response was that she was out of the office but will respond back to me as soon as she can get to the office. When you are a bride, good communication is everything!) The carousel staff and set-up crew were amazing too. We are from out-of-state, so we had limited options of when we could meet with them, and they worked around our schedule. We had some special requests with the food and they did exactly what we asked and were so positive about it and the food was delicious! They even made one gluten-free/vegetarian plate for one guest without an extra charge. They are also very honest. Near the wedding date when we were quoting prices, I had over judged how many chair linens I would need and they showed me my mistake and saved me money! Every person in my family that worked with their staff an amazing things to say about how professional and helpful they were. The reception was the least stressful part of my entire wedding because Shadowland was so on top of their game! Big thanks to Nicole and her entire team :)

Reviewed on 9/16/2016 Annie M

My husband & I had our reception at the Shadowland Ballroom and it was nothing less than a dream come true! All of the guests we talked with had an amazing time dancing, riding the carousel, and thought the food was the best wedding food they ever had. We even had a buffet! The... Read More only reason I am giving it a 4/5 stars is because they don't have reserved parking for wedding guests. Since we got married during the beginning of August, that is a very fun, but busy time for St.Joseph, MI. Overall it was the best day of our lives, and will be remembered by many of our guests that had a great time!

2016-09-17T09:31:52 Response from the vendor

Hi Annie, Thank you for your review! We were honored to be a part of your day and are humbled by your kinds words. Our entire staff does our best to make our events at Shadowland truly spectacular! I did want to address the parking... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Sydney G

I cannot say enough positive things about the Shadowland Ballroom and the staff that helped me celebrate my big day. Everything from the ballroom, to the food, and the service was amazing. My husband and I worked both with Nicole and Amy in preparation for our big day and they... Read More made decision making such a breeze and were always quick to respond to any questions we had. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to have their wedding in Southwest Michigan!

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 Danielle D

I don't think I can say enough amazing things about Shadowland Ballroom! I worked with Amy on planning our wedding day and she is seriously the best!! I planned my wedding from three hours away and when we came into town she was so flexible to meet with us. She answered al... Read More questions so fast even on days off to make us feel at ease. The wedding day went perfect and will forever be my favorite day of my life! Thank you Shadowland for making it so special! I couldn't of imagaoned a better venue. The food was also amazing people were raving about it for so long!!! I want to do another tasting just for fun it was that good!!

Reviewed on 8/02/2016

I had my son's Rehearsal Dinner Here. 4th of July weekend 2016. Absolutely perfect. The team was amazing, professional, and food was fabulous. Try the macaroons!!!! To die for. I would recommend this place to everyone.

Reviewed on 7/27/2016 Alyssa H

We just had our reception here in early June and our wedding was amazing! The Shadowland is in such a great location in a beautiful town and all of our guests found a new vacation spot! This place books fast though so make sure if you are interested, you get on it right away.... Read More Nicole does a great job of walking you through the venue and going over all of what Shadowland offers in your initial meeting. From there, Cheyenne/Amy were awesome in communicating with us every step of the way to make sure the wedding was everything we wanted. We felt like we were in great hands every step of the way. The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars is because of things included with the package. Options were limited for linen color combos and chairs, so we had to go to outside vendors to supply our linens and chairs for the wedding since our colors were not an option. Any add on things are an additional cost (up lighting, monogram)so just be wary of that. Overall the venue is amazing, the help is great, and everything turned out beautiful.

Reviewed on 7/18/2016 Bianca S

It's been nearly four weeks after my wedding reception at Shadowland and my guests are still telling everyone in both of our families how beautiful the reception was! My husband and I have zero regrets with our decision. It's always a win - win scenario; Shadowland is directly... Read More on the beach but still a fully indoor venue. Our food selection was exquisite with a mixed plate of beef filet and chicken Marsala with vegetables, it was all cooked perfectly and large portions. My guests were impressed with how hot everyone's food was because they served 200 people at our wedding and all plates were consistently prepared well. Amy Parnell and Nicole Beltz were extremely easy to work with, paid attention to detail, and were very open to customizing any needs. My Foreign relatives were also very impressed that they went above and beyond and spelled the cocktail drink correctly with accurate language dictation on the sign. Choosing Shadowland as your wedding reception venue is the easiest decision a bride has to make!

Reviewed on 7/15/2016 Bridget S

There aren't enough words to describe just how wonderful our wedding was at Shadowland! I was living in California while planning our wedding and I didn't get to see Shadowland in person before booking it, but after talking with the team and seeing pictures, I knew this was the... Read More place for us! Planning a wedding 3,000 miles away could be challenging, but Amy made it an absolute breeze. She was extremely helpful with ALL of my questions and she responded back to my (many) emails very quickly. She is an absolute dream to work with! Our Wedding was just perfect - the food was excellent (we received so many compliments) and the carousel was a hit! Thank you Amy, Nicole, and the rest of the team at Shadowland! You guys gave us the BEST day of our lives! :)

Reviewed on 7/12/2016 Ashleigh L

Everything was perfection!!! This venue is a dream come true thanks to the location and that memorable carousel which you should rent for the full hour for your guests -it's worth EVERY penny. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from my guests who all had an amazing time. And... Read More the staff is amazing!!! Your experience at Shadowland will be one for the books in all of the best ways possible :)

Reviewed on 6/27/2016 Elaine F

This venue was nothing short of spectacular! They were all extremely personal and helpful leading up to the wedding and never took long to get back to us with answers to our questions. They even recommended our DJ to us, who ended up being fantastic too! They had a wonderful... Read More staff member who held the food plate for the bride so no food would get on the dress, and overall put on a wonderful day for us!

Reviewed on 6/06/2016 Jamie M

My husband and I recently had our wedding reception at Shadowland Ballroom, and we could not be happier with our day! We live in the Chicagoland area, and this was just the destination wedding we were looking for - less than 3 hours away from everyone, even the Northwest burbs!!... Read More Amy worked with us to make sure that every detail was considered from multiple iterations of room layouts to ensuring that our sweets table was continuously stocked. She walked us through the time line for the evening and assisted in making sure that everyone was enjoying themselves. We rented the carousel, which was just as much fun for the kids as it was for the adults honestly! Great pictures! We had several meal options - bacon wrapped pork, chimichurri chicken, and vegetable lasagna - all of them had our guests raving!! It was nice to offer chicken tenders and fries for the kiddos too! They truly cater the evening to what you would like it to be from providing custom and delicious signature cocktails to adding your pictures on their kaliedoscope. There was luckily not an event the day before, so we were able to enter the room early and set up, which was perfect! Jim, who is responsible for setting up the furniture and general up-keep of the room, is very friendly and helpful. We would not have gotten all of our decor hung without him!! I highly recommend Shadowland to anyone who is looking for a fun and beachy atmosphere!

Meet The Events Director

Nicole Beltz

Nicole Beltz has been with Silver Beach Shadowland since it's opening in 2010. Her role the first year was Events Manager and in 2011 she took the reigns as Executive Director. Nicole is a self-proclaimed introvert who loves to be behind the scenes. Working with couples to help make their wedding day vision come true is her focus. She has realized the importance of a couple's wedding day and does not take a venue's role lightly. She has a keen eye for talent and has built a winning event team staff to make dreams come true. Her love of hospitality comes through with each couple that she meets.