Sugar Bowl Resort

Norden, CA

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Picturesque Mountain Venue for Your Special Day

Nestled in the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains near Lake Tahoe, Sugar Bowl's historic lodge serves up a unique setting where the resort can be yours for an unforgettable private wedding. Sugar Bowl is known for its picturesque setting, gourmet food, imaginative menus and beautiful presentations.

Guest Capacity

Ballroom, Waterfront, Hotel, Restaurant

Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

629 Sugar Bowl Rd., Norden, CA

Simply the best

Reviewed on 9/25/2013 Meredith B

Can I give 10 stars!? Sugar Bowl was the perfect place for our wedding! We knew we wanted an outdoor location for the ceremony and the venue, and we are also avid skiers so the chairlift ride was on the top of our list as well. In addition to the perfect mountain setting,... Read More the staff at Sugar Bowl is out of this world. Meghon and her team were attentive to our every need without being overbearing. They supported every creative idea we had and made practical suggestions along the way - but they let us plan our own twist on everything, which is something that is very undervalued in many planners. It was also great that Sugar Bowl was a one-stop show for us. They took care of the catering, the bar, the flowers, and the rehearsal dinner and after party spots. They handed out welcome bags to the hotel guests as they arrived, and were so attentive throughout the entire weekend. The entire staff has a great attitude and that really made all our guests feel comfortable. Overall, our experience with Sugar Bowl was phenomenal and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Many guests told us that our wedding was the best and the most fun wedding that they have ever attended. You will not find a better vendor or service team anywhere in the Reno/Tahoe area! Meredith and Dan Herr

Sugar Bowl summer wedding

Reviewed on 9/20/2013 Emily M

Coordinator Meghon Shrewsbury goes above and beyond to provide excellent service, communicating all the way through the process. Though planning a wedding involves many details, the staff at Sugar Bowl made sure that every question was answered and handled all elements big and... Read More small with aplomb. A beautiful setting where many of your guests can stay on site and even ride a ski lift to the top of the mountain, Sugar Bowl offers a very unique and memorable wedding experience. Where some venues tend to nickle and dime you at every turn, Sugar Bowl was excellent in providing amenities such as heat lamps, parasols and other general decor for no extra charge. We would not hesitate to recommend this site to future couples!

Best day Ever!

Reviewed on 9/17/2013 Katie H

My Husband and I had an amazing day. Sugar Bowl was a perfect place to make such amazing memories with family and friend that we will remember for the rest of our lives. Sugar Bowl brings a special touch to the wedding weekend. Having the hotel for only wedding guests makes it... Read More special; it is truly an exclusive get away weekend with the people you love. The chairlift was a very special touch to the occasion. Our guests really enjoyed it. The Sugar Bowl staff was incredible. I honestly cannot think there is a more attentive staff out there. They were incredible with every detail. The venue looked absolutely gorgeous and the food was delicious. Everything with Sugar Bowl was fantastic. I could not have asked for a better place to get married. There is not one thing that I would have changed. Sugar Bowl exceeded our expectations. Thank you!

Simply perfect.

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Christina

Simply perfect.

Best. Day. Ever!

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Nikki W

Look, weddings are expensive. Don't spend your money anywhere other than Sugar Bowl. The experience we had was nothing short of perfect. My husband and I could have gotten married at the courthouse in our PJs and been happy, but we chose to make our wedding a gift to our... Read More guests - for loving us and supporting us. If you are looking for a beautiful, unique, and delicious venue, look no further than Sugar Bowl! The fact that guests can stay at the lodge and celebrate all the wedding festivities with you in one place is so convenient and fun! For smaller parties, Lake Mary on the Sugar Bowl property is beyond gorgeous (if you have a larger party, we highly recommend having your rehearsal dinner at the lake). We got married on the lawn at the Village Lodge, had our cocktail hour at the top of the Disney lift, and danced all night on the Village Lodge deck. The Disney lift is definitely an added cost, but it is money well spent. Your guests will love the uniqueness of it all! The Sugar Bowl staff (including the maintenance and housekeeping team) were awesome from the moment we met them. The kitchen not only accommodated and listened to all of our wishes, but made an amazing dinner with tons of options (at a decent price, too!). Meghon Shrewsbury is not only the sweetest wedding coordinator, she can also work with you to create the floral arrangements of your dreams. Several of our guests, ranging in age from 23 to 80 have told me that our wedding at Sugar Bowl was the best wedding they had ever been to. If we had to do it again (and believe me, we want to), we would choose Sugar Bowl 1,000 times over.

The Perfect Day!

Reviewed on 9/27/2015

Our daughter and son in-law love the mountains in addition to skiing/boarding in the Tahoe area. They wisely chose Sugar Bowl Ski Resort as their wedding venue and we are so grateful for the selection! Their wedding weekend at Sugar Bowl was picture perfect and heartfelt! From... Read More the beginning of the weekend with the welcoming of guests to the Lodge by the warm and efficient staff to the last breakfast, on Sunday and the goodbyes, all was wonderful. Meghon Shrewsbury, Sugar Bowl's Coordinator and her attentive staff were remarkable throughout every aspect of the weekend for making certain all went well. Guests enjoyed hiking the gorgeous trails on the mountains of the resort in addition to playing horseshoes, lawn games, lounging in the sun and later sitting by the fire pit in the evening. From the fun and delicious rehearsal dinner taco bar to the stunning ceremony, unique chairlift ride and cocktail hour on the top of Mt. Disney, to the exquisite dinner and dancing on the deck all were unforgettable.

Reviewed on 9/24/2015

I cannot begin to describe how perfect Sugar Bowl and their whole team were! Not only was it beautiful there, and a ton of fun, but Meghon and her entire team were nothing but flawless. They constantly went above and beyond to make the entire weekend special and perfect. Their... Read More service made it felt like we were at a 5 star resort with rustic touches, at a very affordable price. People were amazed I only spent what I did considering what it included. The food was delicious (we got tons of compliments on it), the scenery was perfect, and everyone was so nice. We used Lake Mary for the rehearsal dinner, and that was also pure perfection! Highly recommend that venue as well. When the wind got a little crazy after dinner on the day of the wedding, they moved us all inside and it felt cozy and romantic inside the lodge. Meghon is incredible to work with - responsive and kind, and she has soooo much experience, so she had great recommendations throughout the planning process. 5 stars isn't enough, i wish I could give 10! They made everything easy :) Thank you Sugar Bowl, you really made my wedding perfect!

Amazing in every way possible!

Reviewed on 8/12/2015 Anne C

We cannot say enough good things about Meghon and her team. Everything about our wedding was perfect, and I can truly attribute that to the amazing staff. She was incredibly responsive to email. She was always budget conscious, helping us to make choices that would save us... Read More money without it feeling budget. This was especially true with flowers. She was on point with every vendor recommendation I asked for. She is crazy organized, which helped me to also be organized and for everything to go smoothly. Everyone always says something goes wrong at weddings, and honestly, besides starting dinner 15 minutes later than anticipated (due to us taking forever doing photos during cocktail hour) I really can’t think of anything. Everyone said it was some of the best wedding food they’ve ever had, and this even came from our vendors too. Additionally the staff of Sugar Bowl was amazing. Anything we asked for magically happened from hotel staff, housecleaning or event staff. Also, one of our friend’s flights was delayed and landed in Reno at 1am. As you can imagine it’s difficult to find Sugar Bowl in the dark especially when you’ve never been there. The front desk hotel staff sat on the phone at 3am with our friends to help them find their way and ensure they didn’t get lost. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, it felt like we were welcomed into their home. Everything was amazing and I can’t thank Meghon and her team enough for our perfect day. We had zero complaints from any guest about anything (amazing, seriously) besides the fact the weekend ended too soon! We can’t say enough positive things and will never forget our weekend at Sugar Bowl. If we had to do it all over again, hands down, without hesitation would we use Sugar Bowl.

Perfect Venue!

Reviewed on 8/11/2015 Judi D

I could not ask for a more perfect venue for both my rehearsal dinner and wedding. We had our rehearsal dinner at Lake Mary, and we were taken back by this hidden gem in the Sierras. Our wedding was at the Village Lodge and my family and friends had so much fun spending the... Read More weekend at Sugar Bowl. Meghon and her staff made my entire wedding planning easy, and she gave me the wedding of my dreams. Meghon was also my florist and she did an incredible job with our flowers. I was speechless when I saw our arch, tables, and decor around the venue. The food at Sugar Bowl is amazing! I would highly recommend this venue!

Reviewed on 7/20/2015 Sarah L

The venue and service exceeded my expectations by a million! I knew it would be a beautiful venue, but I was literally blown away by how gorgeous the grounds were and how amazing the entire staff was! The service was phenomenal and everyone was so helpful! The lodge was awesome... Read More and all my friends and family were able to stay on-site so it was a great summer camp/dorm feel which everyone LOVED! Meghon was so helpful and responsive throughout the whole planning process. I literally wish I could have a wedding there every weekend. I hope a friend gets married there so I get to attend a wedding there soon! I can't say enough good things about the entire experience. It was seriously the wedding of my dreams!

Mountain destination wedding

Reviewed on 7/18/2015

The Sugar Bowl staff was fantastic at planning and orchestrating our wedding day. Because of this, our destination wedding was stressless and perfect for us in every way. Lake Mary was beautiful and fun a location, and the pictures were perfect.

Sugar Bowl knocked my socks off!

Reviewed on 7/11/2015 Sarah S

The staff and venue at Sugar Bowl Resort far exceeded my expectations! We were on a fairly strict budget and so were forced to decline many of their extra options that were available (The Disney Chair Lift, the Lake Mary Rehearsal, floral services). Despite this, their most... Read More basic package included spectacular lighting and decor, a full weekend of devoted and attentive staff, and floral decorations around the lodge that were coordinated with our wedding flowers and colors! Furthermore, Meghon surprised us with adding her own finishing touches at the ceremony site, which were breathtaking. We asked for a reduced price menu and still received an assortment of main dishes, salads, and appetizers that had even the most foodie of our guests salivating! We received the kind of service one might expect if we had opted for ALL of their extra options! I highly recommend Meghon and her staff at Sugar Bowl Lodge for ANY special event you may be planning, especially your wedding.

June 6, 2015 Wedding- Rustic Romance!

Reviewed on 6/16/2015 Jacquelyn G

Davie and I were married at Sugar Bowl Resort on June 6, 2015 and could not be more thrilled with the entire experience. From the very beginning to the very last moment, the Sugar Bowl team was exquisite. Meghon was the best wedding coordinator I could have imagined. Meghon was... Read More always available for questions and was incredibly helpful along with Amanda on making all our dreams come true for our day. When she first told me if we can dream it, they will make it happen, I wasn't sure it was possible. I have never been more happy to be wrong! Every single detail was perfect. Additionally, Chef Alan made the most incredible French-Vietnamese fusion meal for the 140 guests. From the walnut chicken to the filet and custom pho bar... the guests were so happy with the food and could not stop complimenting the chef. The entire crew set up the hotel with flowers, tables, and more to make every guest feel welcome and loved. The fire pit was awesome for s'mores and hanging out each night. The hotel was perfect! We had most of our guests staying at the hotel or in houses on the property. Jose was amazing getting all the rooms sorted out and helping all the guests. If you love a beautiful mountain setting and crave a weekend-long wedding event, this is absolutely the best place for you! I could not be more complimentary of Sugar Bowl. Thank you!!

Best wedding ever

Reviewed on 6/02/2015

Getting married at Sugar Bowl was really an incredible experience. The culture of the staff made it feel like our friends and family were relatives home for a long weekend- they didn't miss a detail and they genuinely took care of everybody- from gluten free meals to shipping a... Read More forgotten teddy bear- they were kind and attentive, seamless and non-intrusive. Meghon Shrewsbury really knows her stuff and is exactly the kind of organized you want in a Wedding Coordinator. She manages many details upfront which is a huge blessing when the wedding weekend comes around, because you are really able to relax and enjoy. Sugar Bowl is a very well maintained, beautiful location, and all of our friends and family fit in the lodge for the weekend. It's close to major airports and an incredibly beautiful natural setting. With twelve years in her post, it's clear that Meghon has systems in place to manage each wedding- at the same time, she is very personable, and it feels like the staff is there to make it your own experience. We were hoping for a wedding in nature, where all the of the guests could stay in the same place, and there would be no set up or clean up- mission accomplished! We are also a same-sex couple and Sugar Bowl is a very very safe space.

Dream Come True!

Reviewed on 6/02/2015 Sarah B

Sugar Bowl exceeded our every expectation. They did not miss a detail. Meghon was a pleasure to work with and we could not have done it without her. We have received countless compliments from our guests on the beautiful setting, helpful and courteous staff and delicious... Read More food. I could not have asked for anything more. I would highly recommend this venue.

Reviewed on 9/30/2014

Our wedding experience at Sugar Bowl was absolutely amazing and perfect. Our plans started with our family arriving on Friday and staying for the weekend. Friday–Lake Mary barbeque and movie night- As our guests started arriving, we had a casual event to start off the... Read More weekend. Early in the day we brought our own coolers and snacks and enjoyed the relaxing and beautiful location. We enjoyed paddleboards, kayaks, etc. on the lake, tossed horseshoes and played a few of our own games we brought along. We didn’t have a wedding party so instead of having a rehearsal dinner, Sugar Bowl set up a great barbeque for us. Later, we enjoyed a movie under the stars, popcorn and s’mores around the fire pit. Sugar Bowl put everything together so well and really took care of everyone. Saturday–Wedding day- Our ceremony was set up perfectly. It was simple and elegant just as we had wanted, with trees, wildflowers and Mt. Disney as a backdrop. After our short ceremony, the chairlift fired up and took us all to the top for drinks and appetizers. The view is amazing and it was such a great addition to our event. This is such an awesome option that Sugar Bowl offers and we couldn’t imagine not having it part of our wedding memories. Once we returned, our reception was on the deck, which was perfectly set up. The dinner buffet was beautiful and the food was incredible (yes, we were able to enjoy our dinner). We chose not to have a traditional wedding cake so we had Sugar Bowl prepare a dessert for us. They prepared an amazing strawberry shortcake that was fantastic. The night moved into dancing and celebrating with a perfect intimate setting under the mountain stars. We can’t say enough how unique and beautiful Sugar Bowl is and the privacy of having the resort to ourselves made it such a special event for our friends and family. Meghon was wonderful to work with and kept us on track through all of our planning. We didn’t realize how many details needed attention but Meghon worked with us on the details that were important to us and took care of the rest. When we made it to the day of our wedding, we were relaxed knowing that we were in good hands. Meghon also did our flowers, which came out so beautiful. We selected some of the flowers we wanted and left it to her to put together what we felt were perfect arrangements for us. We started working with Meghon long before we booked our event and she was there for us even after our event was over. During both the barbeque and the wedding, we also worked with Pat who we were quickly impressed with. To be blunt, Pat is a pro who kept every detail of our day on track. Some of the smallest details can mean so much and we really appreciated how well he took care of us. While you might expect that the bride and groom be treated extra special during their wedding weekend, we heard from our guests that all of the staff they encountered was incredibly nice and helpful. From the wait staff, the bartenders, the front desk and to those working in the background cleaning rooms or setting up, everyone was polite and courteous. Long after our weekend wedding has ended, our friends and family (and us) are still raving about what an awesome wedding we had at Sugar Bowl. It is such a unique venue and a hidden treasure. Sugar Bowl, specifically Meghon, worked with us to create a custom fit wedding that matched us perfectly and we are amazed at how wonderful it all turned out. THANK YOU!!! Lee & Wendy Wells

Dream Wedding - Dream Venue

Reviewed on 9/28/2014

I cannot say enough amazing things about Sugar Bowl Resort. From our first meeting with Meghon to our wedding day we felt completely comfortable and supported throughout the process. Meghon and her team do an excellent job supporting the bride and groom, family and guests... Read More throughout the entire planning process and wedding weekend. I had multiple people comment on the "excellent service" and "attention to detail". Everything went off without a hitch thanks to Meghon's experience and expertise! It was the wedding of our dreams in our favorite place on earth. I would highly recommend it to any bride considering it as their venue.

Still in awe of how AMAZINGLY things went

Reviewed on 9/20/2014 Rachel H

My husband and I got married at the Sugar Bowl Village Lodge on August 23rd. Before I get into just how awesome the staff was the weekend of our wedding, just a few reasons that we chose Sugar Bowl: 1. Compared to the outdoor venues we were looking at the in the San... Read More Francisco Bay Area and the other ski resorts in the area, Sugar Bowl was an absolute steal! Plus, included in the price is Meghon, their in-house wedding planner, who seriously kept me sane during the planning process, as well as free lift tickets when you come to do your tasting. 2. The Village Lodge is yours for the weekend. No other people to deal with. Just you and your loved ones. The bridal suite is also comped. 3. It's absolutely beautiful, and the weather is amazing during the summer. We actually had an organized hike during the weekend, and it turned out amazingly. As for the wedding itself, I am definitely a Type A person who did a ton of DIY before the wedding. I showed up to Sugar Bowl Friday afternoon and was tired, stressed, and worried about how things would turn out. Come Friday night, though, I was completely relaxed and was able to truly enjoy the wedding weekend. Every time I turned around, something else had been set up perfectly by the staff--decorations, cake, flowers, DJ equipment. I didn't have to lift a finger all weekend. They coordinated everything with the vendors as well. They took care of the entire rehearsal dinner, the post-rehearsal festivities, the wedding, reception, and Sunday brunch. Literally, everything was perfect, and this was huge because it let me bask in the happiness of marrying the man I love. Other people even commented that the staff were able to solve every problem before the guests even knew it was a problem. There's also a lot of freedom to customize your wedding into something that reflects you and your partner. Meghon was totally open to all our ideas (even the crazy ones!). We had hiking, yoga, lawn games, post-rehearsal pizza, bride & groom cocktails, and late night s'mores. They also will do customized menus, though we stuck with one of their packages, and it was great. I would also recommend doing the Disney Lift if it fits within your budget. Guests are still commenting how fun it was. Every single one of our guests (even the grandparents!) went up the lift. On the way up, you'll also have some alone time to just sit with your new husband or wife and enjoy the view. Honestly, looking back, it was just a perfect weekend because of the amazing venue and staff. I am so happy that we chose Sugar Bowl.

Medium wedding? SB is the best!

Reviewed on 9/19/2014 Sarah G

SB was perfect for us! We wanted a wedding near Lake Tahoe for around 100 people at a reasonable price. Meghon was very willing to work within our budget for both the site and food/drink options. We opted to use the Lake Mary location for a lunch time wedding with the SB... Read More chef's awesome BBQ lunch spread. Amanda was so helpful as our day-of coordinator - between Amanda and our DJ, we didn't have to worry about anything the entire day! There was a minor hitch early on with the speaker system we rented from SB, but Amanda was able to have it rigged just in time for the ceremony. Another set of speakers was brought in by the SB staff right after the ceremony for the dancing and Amanda comped us the cost of the speaker rental for the (very minor) hassle. The staff, food, and view were perfect - couldn't have asked for a better day!

Best wedding venue EVER!

Reviewed on 9/18/2014 Nicole T

Sugarbowl is amazing. We originally chose the location because of sentimental value (my husband taught me to ski here) but were blown away at what a perfect wedding venue it turned out to be. Staff are always friendly and go above and beyond. The wedding co-ordinator Meghon was... Read More so easy to work with and always made herself available whenever we needed something. She also did our flowers for the wedding and they were gorgeous. She worked with what I wanted but added her own touch and they turned out beautifully. Both my husband and I grew up in Canada so most of our guests had travelled quite a ways to be at our wedding. Sugarbowl was such a special place as you have the whole resort to yourself for 3 days. It was a spectacular setting to have a family reunion. Many of our family members had never been to Tahoe and were blown away. Everyone said it was the best wedding venue they had ever experienced. We did the chairlift for cocktail hour and had drinks and appetizers at the top of the mountain. It was spectacular and worth every penny. The food was delicious!! We were very impressed and everyone was raving about it. The fire pit that was lit every night was also a highlight. Smores for the kids then late-night talks with our family and friends sitting in Adarondak chairs around the camp fire was a great way to cap off the evenings. The prices were reasonable and the co-ordinator Meghon made suggestions to help us stay within our budget. There were no surprises when we saw the bill. I would would say that Sugarbowl as the perfect wedding venue. I have no regrets and would have my wedding there again in a heartbeat. We have perfect memories of our wedding day thanks to Sugarbowl.

Most amazing wedding venue!!

Reviewed on 9/18/2014 rachel s

We had just gotten married last weekend at Sugar Bowl and it was simply incredible. Almost every single guest let me know it was the best wedding they had ever attended. The entire weekend was seamless with the on-site wedding coordinator Meghon behind the scenes for... Read More everything. This had to have been a hard task, as we had activities and things planned as early as Thursday night through Sunday morning. I couldn't have imagined a more perfect wedding and am SO happy we chose Sugar Bowl!!

Sugar Bowl Wedding

Reviewed on 9/17/2014 Lauren B

I got married at Sugar Bowl Resort this past July and it was a perfect venue for an outdoorsy couple who wants to be in the mountains but also have comfortable accommodations for their guests. I highly recommend this venue!

We Loved Everything!

Reviewed on 9/17/2014 Alexis V

Everyone at Sugar Bowl was amazing! From the moment we checked in, they took care of everything, I could actually enjoy the whole weekend instead of stressing about all the small details that I didn't quite have time to finish. We gave them all our stuff for the wedding,... Read More cocktail hour, reception, after party when we got there and they took care of it from there. Each stage of the event was set up better than I could have hoped for and the whole event was incredibly well organized-no thanks to me. The entire staff, from the front desk to housekeeping to the bartender to Meghon and Pat (the two people in charge of weddings and events), were genuinely friendly and wanting to help. Our guests are still telling me what a great wedding it was and how nice everyone was. They worked seamlessly with our other vendors, and took care of any questions they had. The food was also amazing! We couldn't have picked a better place in Tahoe for a wedding!

The Absolute Best Day of My Life

Reviewed on 9/07/2014 Lindsay G

I don't think my words could possibly do justice to explain how happy my husband and I were with our Sugar Bowl wedding. Here goes nothing... I had been looking for places close to my hometown but nothing seemed to be quite right. A friend suggested I check out Sugar Bowl... Read More (which in the past I had only associated with winter and skiing), so we decided to take a look. We knew almost immediately that this was the place we wanted to get married. Not only is the location breathtakingly beautiful, but we were greeted by loveliest wedding planner on the planet. We loved Meghon immediately. She truly helped us navigate to the wedding of our dreams. She was available from the very beginning and guided us with her extensive knowledge and expertise. She is a beautiful person, inside and out. We decided to get married at the Village Lodge, which we would HIGHLY recommend. Our families and close friends checked in on Thursday. On Friday, we did the rehearsal dinner at Lake Mary, which included use of the lake for the entire day. We played, we swam, hung out, and finished our evening with the best BBQ dinner. Our wonderful wedding ceremony and reception took place at the Village Lodge. Every single staff member was excellent. Lisa, the hotel manager, helped me coordinate accommodations and bent over backwards to make sure that we were all taken care of. The entire weekend was magical. They set out all of the snacks and lunches we brought, took great care of every single guest that arrived, and were always available (24/7) to help with anything we needed. The kids has SO much fun the entire weekend and all the adults felt safe letting them play around the grounds. We didn't have to think about any of wedding details while we were there. All we had to do was show up and enjoy. Sugar Bowl set everything up (way more beautifully than I ever could). It was such an incredible opportunity for both of our families and our friends so spend time together over the weekend and celebrate as one. Sugar Bowl made this possible and I will forever be grateful for that experience. It was truly the best reflection of our love and such a happy way to start a marriage. Thank you, Sugar Bowl! From the bottom of our hearts.

Sugar Bowl Wedding Weekend

Reviewed on 7/23/2014

Sugar Bowl gave us the best possible wedding weekend we could ask for - from the timely, professional and patient correspondence in the planning of our event to the wonderful food and service throughout our wedding weekend, I can honestly say that I can't imagine a more fun and... Read More memorable way to get married. Meghon and her assistant Amanda were outstanding in their efforts to make sure that everything went according to plan and were extremely diligent and accommodating in handling any problems that came up (which was bound to happen). We have no hesitation in giving our highest recommendation to Sugar Bowl for anyone who is looking for a unique and memorable way to share an unforgettable experience with their friends and family.