Book Your Wedding with Sugar Bowl Resort

A BALLROOM IN NORDEN, CA

During winter months, the Sugar Bowl Resort is a premier skiing destination. In summer, when the snow has melted, the California ski resort becomes a popular wedding destination. Located at the top of Tahoe's Donner Summit, the Sugar Bowl Resort is surrounded by scenic views of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and is very close to Lake Tahoe. Sugar Bowl Resort has two ceremony and reception areas to choose from including:

Village Lodge. The Village Lodge offers indoor and outdoor areas for weddings and ceremonies. The maximum guest list for activities at the Village Lodge is 300, and the minimum is 100. Guests lists less than 100 can be accommodated for an additional charge. Rentals at the lodge begin on Friday afternoons and last through the weekend. A complimentary bridal suite is available for the entire weekend and lodging for up to 80 people is also offered at the lodge. Other accommodation is provided on site and nearby.

Lake Mary. The second venue option at the Sugar Bowl Resort is Lake Mary. Wedding receptions and ceremonies can be held at this lakeside location. Lake Mary is less expensive than the Village Lodge option but offers limited menu options and a maximum guest list of 100. The minimum guest list for this area is 30. A free shuttle service to and from the lake location is provided.

Any wedding or reception at the Sugar Bowl Resort will be one to remember. It is important to realize that the perks and amenities available vary greatly depending on which of the two venues you choose. For instance, the Lake Mary location is only available for a seven-hour rental and has a limited food menu. The wedding ceremony area at Lake Mary is located on a wooden deck and receptions at this area include hours of kayaking, swimming and exploring the property.

At the Village Lodge location, your wedding festivities will span an entire weekend. Your wedding menu can include imaginative menus of gourmet food and hours of mingling with your guests. A wedding coordinator will be on-site all weekend.

The Sugar Bowl Resort offers much more than just a great destination wedding venue. In addition to providing you with scenic views of mountains and lakes, you may be able to take advantage of many extra perks including:

• Skiing in winter months
  • Wedding planning guidance
  • Complimentary bridal suite
  • Vendor recommendations

The perfect alpine setting.

Nestled in the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains near Lake Tahoe, Sugar Bowl's historic lodge serves up a unique setting where the resort can be yours for an unforgettable private wedding. Sugar Bowl is known for its picturesque setting, gourmet food, imaginative menus and beautiful presentations.

Ballroom, Waterfront, Historic Venue, Hotel, Mountain, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

629 Sugar Bowl Rd., Norden, CA (530) 426-6769

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Matthew H

We can’t say enough fantastic things about how awesome our wedding was at Sugar Bowl (Lake Mary)!! The venue is so beautiful and Britney and Allison did an amazing job coordinating our large guest list and every detail was perfect! Food and staff were perfection! Seriously a... Read More dream come true!!

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 amanda s

My wedding at Sugarbowl was perfect. Absolutely PERFECT!! Maybe all brides feel that way, but it really was the best day of my life. The food was excellent. The staff was so wonderful (so many guests made a point to let me know how great they thought the staff was). The... Read More chairlift was a HUGE hit! And Smores at a wedding?! Oh yeah! Our after party at the firepit was so fun!!! I strongly recommend utilizing the full resort for your wedding weekend (lake Mary rehearsal and Sugarbowl lodge for wedding day). This will allow for 100% of the hotel rooms at the lodge. Guests really liked this, not only because it was super convenient, but also because everyone felt like family (again multiple guests saying this to me). It was nice knowing that everyone in the hotel was there for us. There were no "strangers". Thank you Sugarbowl! I wish I could do it all again!!!

Reviewed on 9/19/2017 Alyson M

Having skied at Sugar Bowl for several years, the resort held a special place in our hearts, and now that we were married there, it is even more special to my husband and me. Allison was fun to work with, attentive to our many silly questions, and very good at her job. The rest... Read More of the Sugar Bowl staff was equally helpful and friendly. Because Sugar Bowl employees do the set up, break down, and everything in between, we were able to have fun with our guests and each other instead of stressing about centerpieces. My husband and I have heard from many of our guests that ours was the most fun and beautiful wedding they have attended. The cocktail hour at the top of Mt. Disney is absolutely worth doing. We had been up there many times in winter, but the wildflowers were going OFF during our late-August wedding, and I'm so excited to see our photographs from up there. Our guests loved the chair lift, as well. We loved not having to find a caterer (Sugar Bowl does catering in-house), and the food was amazing, too! Having many of our guests stay at the Village Lodge with us turned our big day into a fun weekend getaway and gave us more time with our many out-of-town friends and family. The Village Lodge basement area also worked perfectly for our after party (just add glowsticks and speakers). I cannot recommend Sugar Bowl highly enough.

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Peter S

What an OUTSTANDING WEDDING!! Everything, the facilities, the super people making things happen, the food was great 👍, the management was on top of everything making sure everyone was enjoying themselves and the wedding was meeting every expectation of the Bride and Groom.

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Jessica R

We got married at the Lake Mary venue and it was amazing. A month and a half later and people are still commenting on the wonderful food, service, and overall venue. Everything went better than I coils have expected and would recommend anyone looking for a great venue in a... Read More beautiful location.

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Margaux G

I will forever be thankful that we chose Sugar Bowl as the venue for our wedding. The staff was incredibly helpful, the location was beautiful, the food was delicious... what more could you ask for? We planned the wedding from across the country and they helped bring all of our... Read More ideas to life. Our wedding was in September and we're still hearing rave reviews from our friends and family. I'm so glad we put our trust into Sugar Bowl for our big day, and I can not recommend them highly enough.

Reviewed on 10/27/2017 Kayla C

I can not say enough about the staff at Sugar Bowl Resort. The team here is welcoming, fun, happy and totally professional. From the moment we arrived each and every person that worked there made us feel completely at home and taken care of. Choosing Sugar Bowl Resort as our... Read More venue was the best decision we could have made. It was truly a dream come true.

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Sally W

We had the most wonderful wedding for our son and his wife at Sugar Bowl in early August. It's a perfect choice for destination wedding in a spectacular mountain setting. There are so many fun activities right there from hiking the mountain to swimming in Lake Mary to singing... Read More around a bonfire. Barbecues, fiestas, wedding dinners, music, dancing, etc. were all so skillfully arranged by the fantastic wedding staff headed by Allison Keasal. We came to be very connected with and fond of everyone at Sugar Bowl during the course of planning our wedding---they were so flexible, creative and responsive. Our guests rave about their their experience and we have nothing but great memories!

Reviewed on 8/24/2017 Corrinne R

We got married at Sugar Bowl in July 2017 and it was the most magical and phenomenal place to have a wedding ever! Between the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountain scenery and the rustic ski-lodge vibe, it was the perfect place for my husband and I to tie the knot. We did the... Read More rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception at The Lodge which made accommodations simple and easy for our mostly out-of-town guests. We opted for the Disney Chair cocktail hour which was one of the most epic, beautiful experiences ever---I would highly recommend it if it is within your budget! Allison (the wedding coordinator) was professional, responsive, and very organized and everything went very smoothly all the way through the process. She handled all the details from keeping us within budget, to helping put all the décor in place, and to guiding us through the day timely and with very little stress. Most our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to—this venue will absolutely not disappoint! Thanks Sugar Bowl, Allison, Jose and all of the staff!

Reviewed on 6/29/2017 Michele D

We were married at the Lake Mary venue on June 24th and had the wedding of our dreams! Britney, Allison, and the rest of the staff were amazing. They were able to clear the remaining snow from the site just in time and ensured that everything went smoothly. We reserved the... Read More site earlier in the day to allow us to spend more quality time with friends and family. Everyone had a blast playing with all the water toys on the lake and getting to know each other before the ceremony. I had reviewed how I wanted the tables set up, the arch and all the decor, with Britney. She executed everything perfectly and the site looked even more beautiful than I had imagined. The staff even found our rings in the lawn , which had fallen off our dog, Zoe's, ring bearer pillow as she was walking down the aisle! Lake Mary Cabin is the most gorgeous, intimate venue in the whole area. The food was exceptional, the staff was professional and accommodating and the price is actually more affordable than anything else around! We are grateful to the Sugar Bowl/Lake Mary crew for their contribution to an unforgettable wedding!

Reviewed on 6/25/2017 Juliana P

First wedding of the season at Sugar Bowl! Where do I even begin...We reserved Sugar Bowl for our June 2017 wedding in February 2016. We didn't start working closely with Meghon (the previous Wedding/Events Manager) until our tasting appointment in February 2017. At the... Read More appointment she told us she was leaving and they were close to hiring someone new - enter Allison. She is amazing! She helped me every step of the way. My husband and I met her for the first time a few weeks before our wedding to go over everything. Allison and her assistant Britney could not have done a better job. As you all know, we had a record snow year...so there was major concern we wouldn't be able to get married on the lawn. Allison and Britney came up with a Plan B (Judah Lodge) quickly and made arrangements to bring in the natural/organic look we would have at Village Lodge. LUCKILY, the snow melted enough and the grass dried out for us to have the ceremony at the Village. Allison and Britney set up all the decor exactly how I pictured...from what I remember seeing. It is a blur now. They were very accommodating. We had lawn games, a fire pit with s'mores, lounge furniture...a lot going on. We had around 140 guests. Everyone raved about the food - said it was the BEST wedding food they have eaten. The chairlift made for some awesome photos (we did not do the Disney cocktail hour) and we used the basement downstairs for the after party. We filled the Lodge as well, which was fun having all our family and friends around for the weekend. We also planned a full weekend. Golf or hike on Friday morning, everyone was invited to rehearsal dinner. It created a great atmosphere come wedding day, where everyone had met and hung out already. Everything was perfect, from the weather to set up, to people having the best time. I wouldn't have gone anywhere else for our wedding. As my dad said, if he had 10 daughters (he has two ;)) he would have every wedding at Sugar Bowl!

Reviewed on 11/12/2016 Jennifer L

I cannot say enough good things about Sugar Bowl Resort. We got married October 1, 2016, and the weather was unusually chilly. The staff at Sugar Bowl clearly has seen it all, and their operation is seamless for all types of weather, which is of course something you cannot... Read More control. They made sure all of our guests were comfortable, made great recommendations, and accommodated our last minute requests of providing hot chocolate/coffee etc. during cocktail hour. We were able to still do the ceremony/cocktail outside on a beautiful, sunny crisp autumn day, and Sugar Bowl was able to move us inside for dinner and dancing. Even though it was chilly, we decided to do the Disney Chairlift for cocktail hour, and our guests definitely thought it was the highlight of the wedding. The Sugar Bowl staff, especially Meghon and Amanda, were amazing. TRUST them. The recommendations for vendors they made were spot on. I felt like I could concentrate on getting married, and not wedding planning. And, so many guests came up to me after the wedding and told me how kind and accommodating all of the staff were. One staff member even drove one of our guests to the top of Disney after the chairlift had closed because the guest was unable to go up earlier due to childcare duties. Above and beyond is an understatement. The best part of Sugar Bowl, besides the staff, is having most of your guests in one place at a beautiful setting. If you want to not stress about wedding planning, Sugar Bowl is your place.

Reviewed on 9/10/2016 Leila M

Our advice to a couple deciding to book their wedding at Sugar Bowl Resort is: do it. We were married at Sugar Bowl Resort in August, and the entire weekend was so perfect. We will try to keep this brief, as we could sing Sugar Bowl's praises for days. From our first meeting... Read More with Meghon, we knew that there was no other place that could top Sugar Bowl Resort. Meghon helped us through literally EVERY part of the planning process. She was always responsive to all our questions and provided excellent advice. She made planning this extremely important day enjoyable and without stress! As half our guests were from the East Coast, we wanted to create an entire weekend instead of one day. We booked the entire Lodge for our guests, which meant assigning hotel rooms to our close friends and family. Jose, Sydney and Lisa put up with all our changes and weekly emails, and helped us with all the hotel details. They were always responsive, and extremely professional. The hotel staff took care of everything from check-in to check-out (literally everything). We choose to book Lake Mary for a lake day with our guests on Friday, as well as for our rehearsal dinner Friday night. The Sugar Bowl staff took care of every detail and the food and service was exceptional. The location was gorgeous for the rehearsal dinner, and after all our guests went back to the Beltroom Bar for cocktails and dessert. Shout out to all the great bartenders!! Sugar Bowl really took care of everything: planning and coordination, vendor recommendations, lodging, food, decorations, flowers, and set up and take down. Amanda and Meghon worked with all our vendors to make sure everything on the day went smoothly and on time. The entire weekend was so perfect, and that is due to the attentiveness, professionalism and exceptional customer service of the entire Sugar Bowl Staff. We heard from many guests on Sunday that it was the best wedding that they had ever been to, and we have to agree!! Thank you!

Reviewed on 6/27/2016 Michelle G

Sugar Bowl, and event coordinator Meghon Shrewsbury, were amazing to work with and the perfect place to have our wedding! We had a relatively short engagement period of 6 months, but Meghon helped me the whole time. She was able to make time for me, my now husband, or my... Read More family whenever we needed it. She met with us at the beginning, responded promptly to the multitude of emails I sent, and made the weekend itself amazing. The wedding planning packet was amazingly helpful, and full of useful information. All of our guests told us this was one of the best weddings they had been to. The best part for me was that we had the venue all weekend long. Guests started arriving on Friday, so I was able to spend so much time with every person. The day of the wedding was hectic, but I felt like I had already connected with each guest so I wasn't as stressed about it on that day. Having the whole site to ourselves made me feel so special, and our event seem so private. I would highly recommend this venue and staff as the perfect place to have your wedding! P.S. The Bridal Suite was amazing and beautiful, and they helped transition it from my getting ready space before the wedding, to a honeymoon suite after!

Simply perfect.

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Christina

Simply perfect.

Best. Day. Ever!

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Nikki W

Look, weddings are expensive. Don't spend your money anywhere other than Sugar Bowl. The experience we had was nothing short of perfect. My husband and I could have gotten married at the courthouse in our PJs and been happy, but we chose to make our wedding a gift to our... Read More guests - for loving us and supporting us. If you are looking for a beautiful, unique, and delicious venue, look no further than Sugar Bowl! The fact that guests can stay at the lodge and celebrate all the wedding festivities with you in one place is so convenient and fun! For smaller parties, Lake Mary on the Sugar Bowl property is beyond gorgeous (if you have a larger party, we highly recommend having your rehearsal dinner at the lake). We got married on the lawn at the Village Lodge, had our cocktail hour at the top of the Disney lift, and danced all night on the Village Lodge deck. The Disney lift is definitely an added cost, but it is money well spent. Your guests will love the uniqueness of it all! The Sugar Bowl staff (including the maintenance and housekeeping team) were awesome from the moment we met them. The kitchen not only accommodated and listened to all of our wishes, but made an amazing dinner with tons of options (at a decent price, too!). Meghon Shrewsbury is not only the sweetest wedding coordinator, she can also work with you to create the floral arrangements of your dreams. Several of our guests, ranging in age from 23 to 80 have told me that our wedding at Sugar Bowl was the best wedding they had ever been to. If we had to do it again (and believe me, we want to), we would choose Sugar Bowl 1,000 times over.

The Perfect Day!

Reviewed on 9/27/2015

Our daughter and son in-law love the mountains in addition to skiing/boarding in the Tahoe area. They wisely chose Sugar Bowl Ski Resort as their wedding venue and we are so grateful for the selection! Their wedding weekend at Sugar Bowl was picture perfect and heartfelt! From... Read More the beginning of the weekend with the welcoming of guests to the Lodge by the warm and efficient staff to the last breakfast, on Sunday and the goodbyes, all was wonderful. Meghon Shrewsbury, Sugar Bowl's Coordinator and her attentive staff were remarkable throughout every aspect of the weekend for making certain all went well. Guests enjoyed hiking the gorgeous trails on the mountains of the resort in addition to playing horseshoes, lawn games, lounging in the sun and later sitting by the fire pit in the evening. From the fun and delicious rehearsal dinner taco bar to the stunning ceremony, unique chairlift ride and cocktail hour on the top of Mt. Disney, to the exquisite dinner and dancing on the deck all were unforgettable.

AMAZING VENUE AND STAFF!

Reviewed on 9/24/2015

I cannot begin to describe how perfect Sugar Bowl and their whole team were! Not only was it beautiful there, and a ton of fun, but Meghon and her entire team were nothing but flawless. They constantly went above and beyond to make the entire weekend special and perfect. Their... Read More service made it felt like we were at a 5 star resort with rustic touches, at a very affordable price. People were amazed I only spent what I did considering what it included. The food was delicious (we got tons of compliments on it), the scenery was perfect, and everyone was so nice. We used Lake Mary for the rehearsal dinner, and that was also pure perfection! Highly recommend that venue as well. When the wind got a little crazy after dinner on the day of the wedding, they moved us all inside and it felt cozy and romantic inside the lodge. Meghon is incredible to work with - responsive and kind, and she has soooo much experience, so she had great recommendations throughout the planning process. 5 stars isn't enough, i wish I could give 10! They made everything easy :) Thank you Sugar Bowl, you really made my wedding perfect!

Amazing in every way possible!

Reviewed on 8/12/2015 Anne C

We cannot say enough good things about Meghon and her team. Everything about our wedding was perfect, and I can truly attribute that to the amazing staff. She was incredibly responsive to email. She was always budget conscious, helping us to make choices that would save us... Read More money without it feeling budget. This was especially true with flowers. She was on point with every vendor recommendation I asked for. She is crazy organized, which helped me to also be organized and for everything to go smoothly. Everyone always says something goes wrong at weddings, and honestly, besides starting dinner 15 minutes later than anticipated (due to us taking forever doing photos during cocktail hour) I really can’t think of anything. Everyone said it was some of the best wedding food they’ve ever had, and this even came from our vendors too. Additionally the staff of Sugar Bowl was amazing. Anything we asked for magically happened from hotel staff, housecleaning or event staff. Also, one of our friend’s flights was delayed and landed in Reno at 1am. As you can imagine it’s difficult to find Sugar Bowl in the dark especially when you’ve never been there. The front desk hotel staff sat on the phone at 3am with our friends to help them find their way and ensure they didn’t get lost. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, it felt like we were welcomed into their home. Everything was amazing and I can’t thank Meghon and her team enough for our perfect day. We had zero complaints from any guest about anything (amazing, seriously) besides the fact the weekend ended too soon! We can’t say enough positive things and will never forget our weekend at Sugar Bowl. If we had to do it all over again, hands down, without hesitation would we use Sugar Bowl.

Perfect Venue!

Reviewed on 8/11/2015 Judi D

I could not ask for a more perfect venue for both my rehearsal dinner and wedding. We had our rehearsal dinner at Lake Mary, and we were taken back by this hidden gem in the Sierras. Our wedding was at the Village Lodge and my family and friends had so much fun spending the... Read More weekend at Sugar Bowl. Meghon and her staff made my entire wedding planning easy, and she gave me the wedding of my dreams. Meghon was also my florist and she did an incredible job with our flowers. I was speechless when I saw our arch, tables, and decor around the venue. The food at Sugar Bowl is amazing! I would highly recommend this venue!

WOW

Reviewed on 7/20/2015 Sarah L

The venue and service exceeded my expectations by a million! I knew it would be a beautiful venue, but I was literally blown away by how gorgeous the grounds were and how amazing the entire staff was! The service was phenomenal and everyone was so helpful! The lodge was awesome... Read More and all my friends and family were able to stay on-site so it was a great summer camp/dorm feel which everyone LOVED! Meghon was so helpful and responsive throughout the whole planning process. I literally wish I could have a wedding there every weekend. I hope a friend gets married there so I get to attend a wedding there soon! I can't say enough good things about the entire experience. It was seriously the wedding of my dreams!

Mountain destination wedding

Reviewed on 7/18/2015

The Sugar Bowl staff was fantastic at planning and orchestrating our wedding day. Because of this, our destination wedding was stressless and perfect for us in every way. Lake Mary was beautiful and fun a location, and the pictures were perfect.

Sugar Bowl knocked my socks off!

Reviewed on 7/11/2015 Sarah S

The staff and venue at Sugar Bowl Resort far exceeded my expectations! We were on a fairly strict budget and so were forced to decline many of their extra options that were available (The Disney Chair Lift, the Lake Mary Rehearsal, floral services). Despite this, their most... Read More basic package included spectacular lighting and decor, a full weekend of devoted and attentive staff, and floral decorations around the lodge that were coordinated with our wedding flowers and colors! Furthermore, Meghon surprised us with adding her own finishing touches at the ceremony site, which were breathtaking. We asked for a reduced price menu and still received an assortment of main dishes, salads, and appetizers that had even the most foodie of our guests salivating! We received the kind of service one might expect if we had opted for ALL of their extra options! I highly recommend Meghon and her staff at Sugar Bowl Lodge for ANY special event you may be planning, especially your wedding.

June 6, 2015 Wedding- Rustic Romance!

Reviewed on 6/16/2015 Jacquelyn G

Davie and I were married at Sugar Bowl Resort on June 6, 2015 and could not be more thrilled with the entire experience. From the very beginning to the very last moment, the Sugar Bowl team was exquisite. Meghon was the best wedding coordinator I could have imagined. Meghon was... Read More always available for questions and was incredibly helpful along with Amanda on making all our dreams come true for our day. When she first told me if we can dream it, they will make it happen, I wasn't sure it was possible. I have never been more happy to be wrong! Every single detail was perfect. Additionally, Chef Alan made the most incredible French-Vietnamese fusion meal for the 140 guests. From the walnut chicken to the filet and custom pho bar... the guests were so happy with the food and could not stop complimenting the chef. The entire crew set up the hotel with flowers, tables, and more to make every guest feel welcome and loved. The fire pit was awesome for s'mores and hanging out each night. The hotel was perfect! We had most of our guests staying at the hotel or in houses on the property. Jose was amazing getting all the rooms sorted out and helping all the guests. If you love a beautiful mountain setting and crave a weekend-long wedding event, this is absolutely the best place for you! I could not be more complimentary of Sugar Bowl. Thank you!!

Best wedding ever

Reviewed on 6/02/2015

Getting married at Sugar Bowl was really an incredible experience. The culture of the staff made it feel like our friends and family were relatives home for a long weekend- they didn't miss a detail and they genuinely took care of everybody- from gluten free meals to shipping a... Read More forgotten teddy bear- they were kind and attentive, seamless and non-intrusive. Meghon Shrewsbury really knows her stuff and is exactly the kind of organized you want in a Wedding Coordinator. She manages many details upfront which is a huge blessing when the wedding weekend comes around, because you are really able to relax and enjoy. Sugar Bowl is a very well maintained, beautiful location, and all of our friends and family fit in the lodge for the weekend. It's close to major airports and an incredibly beautiful natural setting. With twelve years in her post, it's clear that Meghon has systems in place to manage each wedding- at the same time, she is very personable, and it feels like the staff is there to make it your own experience. We were hoping for a wedding in nature, where all the of the guests could stay in the same place, and there would be no set up or clean up- mission accomplished! We are also a same-sex couple and Sugar Bowl is a very very safe space.

Meet The Manager

Allison Keasal

Born & raised in Auburn, Alabama, I grew up knowing & understanding the true essence of southern hospitality; showing graciousness, kindness, & warmth to others. This has contributed immensely to my ability to connect with couples on a deep level. Why did I move to California? After graduation, I took a wedding planning & design internship in North Lake Tahoe where I began planning high end events & weddings. Now 4 years later, I have planned over 60 weddings in the area. My passion for adventure, outdoors and the finer things makes Sugar Bowl Resort the most perfect fit for me.