The Castaway Burbank

Ballroom, Garden, Mountain, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment

1250 E. Harvard Road, Burbank, CA (818) 848-6691

Reviewed on 6/23/2017 Michele L

Summary: Castaway cancelled our wedding 2.5 months before due to "renovations" with NO NOTICE. We had put down over 5000 for our deposit and have not received the money back since we found out over 1.5 weeks ago. This place is terrible and unprofessional. The Story: My finance... Read More and I decided to book our wedding at Castaway last October as this place was at our price point and all-inclusive, which was what we wanted as I live in the Bay Area and my fiance lives in Seattle. I had gone to Castaway a few times as a child for brunch with my parents and had a nice memory of the place, so we did not hesitate much to book the venue. Things were going great - we found all our vendors, did the tastings, and had everything pretty much done. We even sent out custom-made invitations that we splurged on. I got a call on June 12, 2017 (just 2.5 months before the big day in the beginning of September) that our wedding was cancelled due to renovations. They told me that they would refund the money back and also advised us to check out their sister venue. We visited and did not like that venue; more importantly, we lost our trust in the restaurant company and asked for our money back. It has been almost a week and we have tried calling multiple times and sending letters. My fiance and I are devastated that this happened to us, but what makes the situation infinitely worse is how Castaway is handling it. How are we going to put down a deposit on our new venue (which we just found after a week of stressful searching and sleepless nights) when we know Castaway is holding on to our money? In addition, we have to find new vendors, send out new invitations, hire a wedding planner, and make several more trips down to LA to re-plan our wedding. This event has affected my performance at my job as a physician and my fiance's very demanding job at a busy tech company. I still can't believe this is happening. Thanks, Castaway, for a wedding dream come true.

Reviewed on 6/17/2017

Total nightmare! I booked our wedding at The Castaways 11 months in advance. They waited 2 months before my wedding to tell me they are canceling because they are closing for renovation. If they were planning a renovation, why in the world would they book events during that... Read More time?! They knew they had to cancel the event. A $10mil renovation will not be planned over night so they knew what they were doing to many couple & families who not only trusted them but also paid them to make their dreams come true. A wedding is a very special day shared by many & the fact that they had absolutely no consideration for our stress, frustration, etc just shows what an unethical, unprofessional business The Castaway is, to say the least. Can't write what i really think about them on here but the fact that there was a signed contract & this facility did not honor their part & purposely lied to their customers knowing they would not fulfill their services, should be a big WARNING to those considering their events at this place. A wedding comes with stress & we know not everything goes as planned, but this is a premeditated way to screw families who do not need extra stress & should not go through anything like this.

Reviewed on 4/14/2017 Dinise F

We would give The Castaway zero stars if we could. To all the newly engaged couple, we do not recommend choosing the Castaway to hold your wedding. March 26, my fiancé and I met with Susana Montes to take a tour to view their venue. We told her what day we wanted to get... Read More married and it didn't take her long to let us know that it was open. It took a week for us to decide that we wanted to hold our wedding reception at the castaway. We emailed her April 1st to let her know that we wanted to book our wedding reception here. She sent the contract and payment form and we sent them right over. A day after sending the contract Susana called to notify us that there was a problem with their system and that she didn't see that there was another event being held on the day we wanted and asked us if we could move our day. We were in total shock. Mind you, we already booked our wedding ceremony and we weren't going to change the day we wanted to get married because of her mistake. We asked if there was any thing that they could do for us, but she did not do anything. She was trying to convince us to change our day and told us that she would give us discounts if we were to move our day. She even tried to make it seem like she was doing us a favor by offering us deals and telling us that she didn't usually offer her customers. At this point we asked to speak to upper management. It took 4 days for someone to call us and tell us the same thing. No one bothered to help us. We were devastated. My fiancé and I decided that since they weren't going to help our situation. We asked Susana to put our money back into our account and she said that it would be back by the end of the day. It's been a full week since we asked her. My fiancé has called multiple times and left multiple messages. Until now we have not gotten our money back into our account and we still have not gotten a call back.

Reviewed on 2/10/2017 mike b

This will be a lengthy review, I ask that you all please read it carefully. First the good: 1. The food was good. 2. The bartenders were awesome. 3. The staff is very friendly Now for all the bad: When we first chose them, the person helping us was very nice. Then he became... Read More short and rude. My wife was so mad, she didn't want to speak to the planner anymore. A couple months later, A new planner contacts us and lets us know he left. We met with the new planner and he seemed awesome. He even threw in some stuff for free. All the time he assured us, we do this multiple times a weekend we will do a great job. All I can say is empty promises. A week before the wedding we met with them and finalized everything. They gave us very detailed records and a spreadsheet showing what time everything was supposed to happen and and how we wanted things. The day of the wedding we were up there doing photo's before hand. It got close to our wedding time. Nothing was set up, and another wedding was still hanging out where our wedding was taking place. They had assured us that they would have them out on time. Some of my guests were arriving, and had no where to sit or relax. First our MOH went and asked when the would set up our chairs for the ceremony. They said around 3pm. At 3:15 when guests started arriving for a 4pm wedding not hing was set up. My brother in law went and asked what was going on? They said we have your wedding at 4:30. He knows I'm punctual and very detail orientated and corrected the vendor and told them it was 4pm. When my brother corrected him, he got rude and said "no it's 4:30 want to see the contract, which he smiled and said please show it to me" He goes in the office to get my contract and goes "oh shit" yup they messed up my time. Then they put the chairs in a shape we didn't want, even though we sent them a picture of how we wanted it. Then we asked when are you kicking out the other wedding they were supposed to be out at 4pm, and I was paying people to wait for them to clear out so to set up my wedding. The said, oh sorry. Wow, we hadn't even said our vows and they already had 2 strikes! We had asked numerous times for a place for me and the bride to relax before our vows so we didn't have to see guests before the big moment. He had told us, if we couldn't relax in our foyer, we could go in the office. Well since they let another wedding go late, we couldn't go in the foyer since they were cleaning. So we tried to go in their office, only to not find our planner anywhere, and the rest of the staff saying we were not allowed in there. Again more lies. My wife got to hide in the bathroom; just how she wanted to before her big day! note the sarcasm. Then we had the wedding and that was beautiful. Now remember how I said they give you a diagram of how your wedding will be. We showed where we wanted tables, heaters since it was a January wedding, etc..... Coctail hour started and most my guests had to hide inside due to the cold. My groomsmen had to move the heaters and light them. After 30 minutes they stopped serving drinks, even though I paid for an hour. We asked for the fireplaces to be lit outside and an ashtray, they forgot that. They didn't bring champage until people started the toasts, even though they had a time written on their worksheet &the DJ annouced time for a toast. I could keep going but I'm out of space to type. Basically they fail in all they deliver. Go somewhere else. Empty promises all around.

Reviewed on 7/26/2016 Shannon M

My wedding was July, 24th 2016 and was held at The Castaway. I can't stress enough how amazing the experience was. Our sales manager, Cynthia, was incredibly helpful, patient, and prompt in answering any of our questions. The venue is STUNNING and very reasonably priced... Read More considering everything you're getting. We held our ceremony at the gazebo and the reception outside in the courtyard behind the gazebo area. 90% of our guests were from out of town and couldn't stop talking about how gorgeous everything was. I absolutely can't wait to see pictures!

Beautiful Venue!

Reviewed on 7/21/2015

The Castaway is a beautiful Venue! The views are absolutely breath taking. All of my guest could not stop commenting on how beautiful the venue was. The events coordinator Nabil Pierre was extremely helpful throughout the whole planning process. On the day of the wedding the... Read More staff was professional, kind and very helpful. I would recommend anyone to this venue.

Great Venue, but be wary

Reviewed on 3/24/2015 Timothy B

This is a great place for a venue!!! They provide everything from food to drinks and lighting. Just be very care about who your coordinator is. My wife and I had Alex Moon, and he was very unorganized and we didn't even get some of the things we paid for. Make sure that you get... Read More a coordinator and you are confident in them right away!

Luau Gardens are a hidden gem

Reviewed on 10/07/2014 heather l

We were looking for a grassy outdoor venue for our wedding and reception and stumbled on a video of a couple getting married at The Castaway Luau Gardens. We looked on The Castaway website, but didn't see any information on the gardens. We emailed the office and confirmed that... Read More they did exist and scheduled a tour. The instant we saw the venue we knew it was where we wanted to get married. The Luau Gardens are a secret little Burbank oasis that is private and tucked away behind the golf course. The food was amazing too (many guests claimed it was the best wedding food they ever had). Some negatives about it... A day of coordinator is promised in your contract, but leaves after the grand entrance and isn't available to setup anything, no matter how small. The coordinator is there to help direct vendors, but ours was helping with other events that were up the hill so she wasn't fully dedicated to us. Luckily we hired our own separate day of coordinator (which I highly recommended if you book at The Castaway even though they advise against it). My mom was insistent that we start on time and even told The Castaway coordinator this at the Rehersal Dinner, and even though all the guests were seated, the ladies were ready to go, and the gentlemen were lined-up, we weren't able to start until about 20 minutes late because the drink truck arrived at the time our wedding was supposed to start and blocked the doors we were supposed to walk through. The Luau Gardens are supposed to have 2 bars opened for events, but for some reason they only opened one at our wedding. We also had 3 different points of contacts throughout the year and a half of planning who all told us slightly different things, but were very pleasant to work with. All in all, it's a great location with very flexible rules, but you have to be organized and extremely proactive because they have so many events at The Castaway every week that they don't have much time to devote to you before or during your wedding.

Great Packages for the Money

Reviewed on 7/17/2014 Christina A

The cost listed with this review is for just over 160 people, and even included extra bar time and a little extra dessert. Of everywhere we researched/visited, this place by far gave you the most for your money. The packages included many of the things you would need for... Read More your wedding reception (like appetizers, bar, wedding cake, etc.). We were even able to throw in a couple extras because all the money we had wasn't spent just on the main package. The room looked more gorgeous on our wedding day than we ever expected, and we got compliments from our wedding guests on how good the serving staff was. There were just very minor items here and there we had to make sure they fixed/got right, but nothing serious. Also, their preferred vendor list is horrible. However, none of this is reason not to have your event here. It is overall a great way to go! Our guests keep telling us what a great time they had.

nice cremony & reception venue

Reviewed on 11/19/2013 Victoria S

The Castaway has very tasty food and the wait-staff at the reception was very attentive. They wedding and reception were beautiful. We had a small wedding (~50 people) so we were in the main restaurant area in the private Lagoon room and the ceremony was on the patio. The... Read More patio was lovely for the smaller group, I did notice in my video that there are a couple of shots where you can see waitstaff on the other side setting up. I think, though, if we had used a "paid professional" videographer instead of a friend they might have been more willing to tell the restaurant staff to move. The planning process was a little rough at first. Steve was quite flakey (as has been mentioned in other reviews), missing meetings and not returning phone calls. But he retired and Laura took over, straightened everything out, and is a very talented event coordinator.

THe Castaway

Reviewed on 11/14/2013 Maricela F

My then fiancee and I chose the Castaway in Burbank for one reason and one reason only, convenience. We live literally 5 minutes away from there! Having said that, I loved everything about having our special day at this location. The food was great, the drinks were incredible,... Read More and the view was amazing. The people we dealt with were very helpful and friendly leading up to the day as well as the day of. We chose the top of the line package and truly feel we got a great deal. I would definitely recommend the Castaway for any special occasion

September 7, 2013

Reviewed on 11/07/2013 Alisa V

September 7, 2013 was the date of my Wedding ceremony and reception. From the beginning it was the perfect venue to host my wedding. Castaway was the first stop on our list in September 2012 on our venue scouting trip. We went to Sportsman lounge, Odyssey, Shanghai Reds, Orange... Read More Hill, but nothing could beat Castaway. The wedding packages they offered were right in our budget. Danielle (on site coordinator) was flexible, personable, and very easy to work with. She was timely with e-mails, phone calls, on site meetings, worked well with our wedding coordinators (The Double Knot,) coordinated the food tasting event, answered calls from family members and the countless other little things she made accommodations for. Danielle really made our decision easy with Castaway. The Wedding day came and went in a flash, but the ceremony and reception went flawless in our eyes. The food and service during the night was great. We had a choice of 5 appetizers, 3 Entrees (Filet Minion, Salmon, and Mushroom Ravioli), 2 hour open bar and cake. Not a complaint in the room. Castaway has a view of LA and Burbank unlike any place else that helped to seal the deal. It was a picture perfect wedding day. I highly recommend Castaway to any bride and groom. Thank you Danielle and Castaway.

SO GORGEOUS!

Reviewed on 10/28/2013 Lyndie N

jennifer at Castaway took such good care of us! Not only is it so beautiful in the gazebo, they also really know their stuff! The wait staff took great care of us and everything was so beautiful. It was a dream come true!

Beautiful!

Reviewed on 10/16/2013 Lyndie N

Castaway clearly knows how to do a wedding! Jennifer worked with us and was absolutely amazing! So knowledgeable about everything. The service at the actual wedding was spot on. Dinner flowed smoothly and tasted great. The waiters took special care of us which of course... Read More made my day. They had the best bar pricing also. It was really important to me that we have an open bar. The only thing that happened is that they didn't give last call, but other than that, the price was good and the drinks were good! Overall, it is the best value for the money if you still want to be treated like a princess and the location is breathtaking!

Dream Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 8/15/2013 Susan S

The staff was completely helpful! We loved Steve Karimi (he was amazing with working out all the details). The food is wonderful as well! Very European vibe! Beautiful weather and view!

Truly gorgeous

Reviewed on 7/02/2013 Willow T

We could not have chosen a better place to have our wedding. The Castaway is truly gorgeous and was very easy to work with. I held a rehearsal dinner at The Castaway and couldn't say enough good things about it. The venue is just beautiful, and everyone at The Castaway was... Read More beyond helpful, made suggestions, helped in anyway they could, and was there every step of the way. We couldn't have been more happy with the outcome. Would highly recommend.

Beautiful venue, great service

Reviewed on 2/25/2013 Betty T

We and all of our guests absolutely loved Castaway! We had the Starlight room (overlooking the city) and we could not have expected more. We had wedding guests coming from the East Coast for our wedding and they were blown away with the gorgeous view and the room set up. We had... Read More Lauren P. as our coordinator and she worked so hard to help us get all the little details. This was the first time either one of us had planned a wedding (no experience even helping out friends) and she walked us through everything. We went with Castaway's vendor for swag lighting on top... between the lighting inside and the beautiful city view outside, nothing could keep the night from being perfect. The food was very good and the staff was incredibly friendly. Definitely recommend this venue to any bride out there!

Venue

Reviewed on 2/07/2013 Fanny A

I had my wedding at Castaway on New Years Eve. Place was superb, food was delicious but the service as i was told from my guests was not really satisfying. Overall, I had a really great time. Really beautiful place to have a wedding with a very reasonable price.

Love My Reception Venue

Reviewed on 2/04/2013 Rebecca P

I Choose the Mountain View Room. It was more private than the other halls. It has it's own cocktail area which is a plus. All my guest were happy with the food and drinks.

The Castaway Venue review

Reviewed on 12/05/2012 Lisette G

The service provided by the Castaway employees, servers and managers was excellent. Everyone was very nice and attentive to my husband and I. The food was delicious and the setup was exactly what we had requested. Very happy with them.

Mixed Feelings about the Castaway

Reviewed on 10/07/2012 Corinna F

This is a tough one. Overall, I'm happy with the way things turned out but I'm not sure I would recommend this venue to others. It's a great location (beautiful views) and a great place if you are looking to have your ceremony and reception at one location - but for a venue... Read More that specializes in events, they were not exactly helpful during the planning process and even unaccommodating at times. The information flow was poor, response time lagged, and there was just a generally low degree of service for the price we paid. Our package included the services of a Ceremony Coordinator, who did not have email, which made planning difficult and is frankly ridiculous in this day and age. The catering staff were the best though - we felt very taken care of during the reception, which was nice. The food was good. I would just say BEWARE of booking this venue!!!

Wedding Central

Reviewed on 12/28/2011 Gemia A

Castaway was the perfect location for our evening Winter Wedding. The Gazebo was beautifully lit, the staff was amazing and the food was soo good people are still talking about it. I love Castaway!

Wedding reception in Starlight ballroom

Reviewed on 10/03/2011 Jacqueline O

I overall had a great experience with the Castaway. All my guests said the food was great and the reception was gorgeous. My reception was held in the Starlight Ballroom- get the swags! I wish the swags weren't so costly but I got married on a Friday to save some $$. The service... Read More was excellent. I highly recommend this venue if you're looking for an elegant, classy wedding with a beautiful view.

Amazing

Reviewed on 8/12/2011 Christina M

Being my parents had their wedding reception at the Castaways and I was getting married the day before theire anniversary, it only seemed fitting. I was worried that the Castways would be old and outdated, but with wall draping, uplighting and and amazing tables, it was... Read More beautiful. The service from Susie was outstanding. She was very helpful, caring and a ball of laughs! I was lucky to get Susie. I had originally called and worked with a man who cared more about a sale so I changed to Susie. She gave us everything we asked for, was very flexable and easy to work with. I can't say much for the others in the catering staff, but Susie was a blessing and just all around fun!!! 10 Stars for Susie! The food was also amazing. The pasta sauce had much to be desired so we brought our own in, but everything else was delicious, the presentation was dynamic. Susie and the catering staff was in one word...Amazing

Beautiful venue

Reviewed on 8/04/2011 Charlotte P

Beautiful views of the Burbank area. They would take care of everything for you. Cheaper option is brunch ($30ish/pp). As expected, high corkage and cake cutting fee. Provides setup for ceremony