The Caswell House

Austin, TX

Book Your Wedding with The Caswell House

A BALLROOM IN AUSTIN, TX

The Caswell House, located in Austin, Texas is a historical, turn of the century home that is just minutes away from the Texas State Capitol and the University of Texas. The house and grounds are meticulously maintained and the house has been updated to include modern conveniences without sacrificing its historical charm. The Caswell House can accommodate small and medium-size wedding parties and it hosts wedding ceremonies as well as receptions.

The First Floor. The first floor of the Caswell House provides a number of intimate spaces for small wedding receptions or rehearsal dinners. The floor is split into four main rooms, each of which has its own functional fireplace. These rooms can each accommodate roughly 25 people for a seated dinner or 40 people for a standing reception. Wedding parties can use a single room or rent multiple rooms and allow their guests to move freely between them. Some couples choose to put a bar in one room and serve cocktails, while using another room for seating.

The Grand Ballroom. The Grand Ballroom is the largest event space in The Caswell House. It features hardwood floors and elegant chandeliers. There are windows along nearly every wall, providing guests with a panoramic view of the surrounding grounds and city skyline. This space is suitable for ceremonies or receptions. It can accommodate up to 115 seated guests for a wedding ceremony and up to 150 seated guests for a reception. Even with 150 guests, there is still room for a dance floor, as well as a DJ table or a small band for live entertainment.

The Caswell House has a list of preferred caterers wedding parties can choose from. Those who want to choose a caterer outside of this list must have them approved by the venue prior to the event. Anyone serving alcohol on the premises must have a valid license.

Rental fees for this venue vary depending on the time of year and the number of expected guests. A standard rental fee covers five hours of event time, but additional hours can be purchased if the wedding party arranges this ahead of time. A security deposit is required to secure the event date and is completely refundable as long as no damage is done to the house.

The Caswell House has flexible event start times, which means wedding parties can begin setting up for their event as early as 9 a.m. However, all events must end by 1 a.m., with the exception of events held on New Year's Eve. Venue set-up and cleanup services are provided.

Wedding parties are allowed to decorate the spaces they rent in the Caswell House. Couples are welcome to bring in photographs and other mementoes to place on the fireplace mantles and they are also allowed to hang banners using paint safe tape. However, wedding parties are not permitted to bring confetti, glitter, rice or birdseed onto the premises.

The owner of this venue is a local women's volunteer organization known as The Austin Junior Forum. All proceeds from the rental of the house go back into the local community through community service projects and grants.

The Caswell House is a beautiful, historic wedding venue and it offers wedding parties a number of beneficial amenities:

• Private historical tours available
  • Piano on-site
  • Nearby access to museums
  • Free onsite parking for wedding guests

Have Your Reception in a Historic Victorian Home!

The classic elegance of the Daniel H. Caswell House makes it an excellent choice for your wedding celebration. The house can accommodate 110 people for a ceremony, 100 for a reception, or 90 for a seated dinner party. The wrap-around porches on the first and second floors offer a peaceful gathering place for you and your guests, and the second floor boasts a lovely view of the state capitol dome. With full kitchens on the first and second floors and an elevator between them, serving guests is easy throughout the house. You are free to choose your own caterer and other service providers. Because we know you'll want to remember your wedding forever, included with rental of the house for weddings, brides may use the house for bridal portraits free of charge during office hours.

$ – Inexpensive

Ballroom, Estate, Historic Venue

1404 West Avenue, Austin, TX (512) 472-0779

Dream Venue

Reviewed on 7/12/2014 Celeste S

For a wedding under 100 people, this is the best value you will find for an elegant wedding. I felt like a princess as I entered the Victorian rooms and the venue was perfect for wedding and reception. Bryan and Craig were flawless in their help and ideas.

Reviewed on 5/27/2017 Katie S

This house was the perfect place for my wedding! Bryan and Craig were great to work with and always answered all of my hundreds of questions. It is really affordable for the space- it's beautiful, requires very little additional decoration, is next to downtown, has yard space,... Read More porches, I could go on. Everything went smoothly and Craig will take care of clean-up for a reasonable fee. You can also bring in your own food vendors, alcohol, etc making this one of the best values for a wedding.

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Mikaela F

The Caswell House was the first venue we saw, and after we saw it we couldn't really consider anywhere else. The house is beautiful inside and outside and the staff knows how to make the most of the space. Because our wedding was on the larger side for the space (100 people),... Read More the staff recommended a "heavy appetizer" meal with only a few sit down tables and then a bunch of cocktail tables, which worked out extremely well and got people we up dancing and hanging out on the porch all night, even on a rainy night. The views of the capitol building and Austin skyline are amazing. Both in the planning and on the day of the caretaker, Craig, was very helpful and struck the right balance of providing direction but letting us do what we felt was best. He was very responsive for setting up walk through and rehearsal. He was one of our bartenders and hired another bar tender for the night, and everyone loved them both. Most of our out of town guests stayed at the Doubletree downtown and didn't even have to rent a car for the weekend because they could walk to the venue and to many place around downtown/ campus area. This house has everything you need for a medium size downtown wedding.

2016-09-28T12:27:20 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your kind comments, Mikaela. We are very happy that your wedding turned out to be such a success. Best of luck in your new married life together.

Reviewed on 1/13/2016 Bethanie B

We had a small (35 guests) ceremony and reception at Caswell House. The venue is beautiful, and has spaces both inside and out that can accommodate the ceremony, and a great space upstairs for the reception, as well as areas for getting ready. Craig, the caretaker, was great to... Read More work with. He also provided bartending and clean-up services for us for a very reasonable fee. It was also important to us to know that our money was going to a non-profit, rather than someone's pockets. We had some initial difficulties with responsiveness when trying to schedule a time to tour the venue; we ended up just walking in during their open hours and got a wonderful tour. We had no issues with communication after the tour and none after booking. I would definitely recommend this venue to others!

Wedding and reception

Reviewed on 10/08/2015 Nancy C

We had my daughters wedding at this venue. She has loved the house ever since she was a little girl. The historic décor of the house was perfect and did not need any other decorations. The price was right for use of the whole house. The people are fantastic and I would... Read More recommend this venue to all. Thank you for making my daughters dream come true.

Caswell House Is The Perfect Location

Reviewed on 1/21/2013 Jenny B

This venue is absolutely PERFECT especially if you want a Christmas wedding! I could not imagine my wedding at any other place. Everyone there was super friendly and easy to work with and went out of their way to make my wedding day perfect. They also work very well with the... Read More other vendors you use. If you are in Austin and are having a small wedding, definitely use the Caswell House!

Perfect Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 10/27/2012 Seychelle M

The Caswell House was a wonderful wedding venue for our late Oct. wedding. The old victorian atmosphere was unique and interesting and it was easy to add pictures and decorations to give it a personal feel. It was comfortable and charming and I can't say enough about the amazing... Read More staff (Craig and Bryan are superstars)! Couldn't be happier with our choice!

Perfect Venue

Reviewed on 10/20/2012 Becca P

The Caswell House was the perfect venue for our moderate sized wedding. As a lover of historic buildings, it provided the perfect ambiance and is practically already decorated. With a few small touches we were able to personalize the space with our colors. Craig is a master... Read More at working with stressed brides to make sure they know how everything works in the house. He also offers a variety of other services such as bartending and clean-up. Overall, the Caswell House was the perfect venue for my wedding and I was happy to see the money going to such a good organization.

A charming and unique venue

Reviewed on 9/18/2012 Katherine M

We had a great experience at Caswell House. Bryan and Craig provided great service- patiently answering my many questions, and promptly returning my calls and emails. They gave lots of helpful advice on how to make our wedding run smoothly. Our guests enjoyed exploring the... Read More house. and the kids had a great time playing in the yard. We got many comments on what a great venue we had chosen. My husband and I are so happy with the way the wedding turned out.

Woderful wedding venue

Reviewed on 6/09/2012 Corina L

I had my wedding at The Caswell House. It was the perfect venue. Old world charmer! The staff was helpful and easy to work with.

Beautiful location

Reviewed on 1/15/2012 Anna N

The setting of the Caswell House at Christmas made for a Victorian fairy tale wedding. Every detail was carefully coordinated by the caretaker, Craig, as he did everything possible to make the bride and groom's day special by working closely with the caterer and DJ with respect... Read More to the bride and groom's desires.

Loved the Caswell House

Reviewed on 10/31/2011 Bryan Elizabeth R

We married here in 2006 and had a beautiful & reasonably-priced wedding. The house has been lovingly restored by Austin Jr. Forum and has a lovely landscaped yard. It was the PERFECT setting for our wedding. The views of the capital were superb from the balcony & made for... Read More gorgeous photos. The staff were friendly, quite helpful, and very easy to work with. We were able to bring in our own alcohol which saved us a lot of money. We hired Craig, their caretaker to bartend. He provided us with useful tips which contributed to our having the wedding of our dreams !!

Antique elegance

Reviewed on 8/27/2010 Erica W

The decor of the Caswell House is not for everyone, but if you love wood floors, ornate appointments and chandeliers this is the place for you. I think it is impossible to take a bad picture in that house since every room provides a beautiful backdrop. The staff were easy to... Read More work with and responsive. I truly appreciated the Bride's parlor with the mirrors, sitting table and restroom inside.

Beautiful Venue! Very Elegant and Intimate!

Reviewed on 8/12/2010 Laura C

I love the Caswell House. It is such an elegant setting that provides a very intimate and classic wedding reception. Simple touches of wedding decor and the place is stunning. The staff is very kind and helpful with ideas and options for the use of the venue.

Venue

Reviewed on 6/29/2010 Becky F

I used the Caswell house after my church pretty much would not work with us on our wedding, so it was a little last minute. The front desk lady was nice enough and seemed willing to help. The house itself is gorgeous! I didn't want to leave. Part of the problem I had though,... Read More was some of the other workers, namely the caretaker, Craig. I felt he was trying to run my wedding. I finally told him to put the chairs and tables where I wanted them because this was MY WEDDING! It did go my way. They do have a lot of rules though, and mostly they make sense, but we felt it was a hassle. However, the day of the wedding, everything went off without a hitch (at the venue at least!). The fee was reasonable, and they gave us the security deposit back quickly after the wedding. They did not seem organized though. The volunteers would tell me one thing and the staff would say the opposite, so make sure you talk to a staff member. Overall, I was very happy with the place.

Review for Caswell House-Austin Forum

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Dawn C

The Caswell House is beautiful! The view of the capitol at night makes the cost worth it alone AND the rental fee goes to the Austin Junior Forum. They're a local charity group that does things like give stuffed animals to the APD and AFD for chidren to have in traumatic... Read More times.