The Columbus Athenaeum

Bow2010

32 N 4th St, Columbus, OH

Perfect Venue for the Perfect Event

Reviewed on 6/10/2014 Lauren B

Its almost a month after our wedding and we are still hearing about how wonderful our wedding reception was... The Columbus Athenauem was the perfect venue for our perfect wedding reception. We rented the Oak Room at TCA. The room has gorgeous woodwork and was more than... Read More enough space for our 205 guests. The day of our wedding the room looked gorgeous with the linens, centerpieces, and all of it... Working with TCA has been wonderful. I was planning our wedding from afar, so the fact that it was kind of a "one-stop" shop was really a blessing. Ann at the Athenaeum was awesome to work with. She was able to provide us with ample information to make an informed decision about our wedding reception and really guided us through planning, to make the perfect event. The food tasting was phenomenal... so much food... and it was so good and we felt confident that the food on our wedding day would be perfect for our guests. The days leading up to the event, I was in good order, thanks to Ann. Details were worked out. Food was ordered.... everything done in a timely manner, so I could focus on other things. The day of the event was perfect. The room looked impeccable. The food was delicious and a fun time was had by all. A 6-year old cousin raved that the water served from the bartender was the best he'd ever had. I've had really big, burly guys tell me how much they enjoyed their salad at dinner. I've had people tell me it was the best food they've ever had at a wedding.... and people cannot stop talking about the fun they had and how much they enjoyed the venue. If I had to do it all over again... I'd do it the same way. I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you all for your hard work and for hosting our perfect event!

The perfect fit

Reviewed on 6/24/2014 Kate P

The Columbus Athenaeum was the perfect fit for us. We couldn't have been happier with it. Our reception was in the large theater. The room itself was so beautiful and really had the wow factor we were looking for. The food was incredible. Our guests said that it was the best... Read More wedding food they had ever had. Most of them are still talking about it. Gina was incredible. She worked so well with us and really helped us achieve exactly what we wanted. One of the things I loved most of all was that almost everything was included. They took care of our centerpieces, and additional decorations, food, drinks, linens, and tables and chairs. We didn't have to go through a bunch of different places and it was all quality stuff. They didn't try to nickle and dime us as we found with many places. They were open and honest with us from the beginning about prices. It really was perfect! Thanks to the Athenaeum I can look back at my wedding day and have no regrets.

Loved this venue!

Reviewed on 6/14/2014 Tara S

We worked with Trisha and then Danielle at the Athenaeum and had great experiences with both. They each were very responsive via email and helped us as we planned a wedding from out of town. On the wedding day, Danielle and other employees seemed dedicated to making our event a... Read More success. Everyone enjoyed the food and loved the space. We got married in the Priory - lovely spot for a wedding - and had the reception in the Oak Room. All we heard from the guests were compliments on the venue and the service. We would recommend the Athenaeum to others in Columbus for sure!

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Anna B

While the venue is beautiful, the price was not worth the services we received. There was hardly any communication between the employees when it came to questions I had about my wedding. When they decided to not believe me about what I received as a customer, I decided to write... Read More this review. When the appetizers came to my husband and my table, they were cold and when we asked for a hot plate they said there were no more but she would double check. A lot of my guests did not even receive an appetizer. The kids meals we ordered were delivered to the wrong children even though I gave them the table that the children would be at. The Athenaeum would not refund us any more than $500 even though our total guest count was almost 20 people short of what they charged us for. My wedding planner had warned me of the tricks they like to pull and how much they would charge us for each little thing and I still decided to give them a chance. I wish I hadn't because my wedding day was much less than exceptional. It was rushed by the coordinator they assigned to me and the atmosphere was extremely unprofessional once the final payment was made.

Reviewed on 11/16/2016 Katherine C

I can not say enough about the Columbus Athenaeum- what an exceptional venue! Planning a wedding I initially felt very overwhelmed but they made it SO easy! We worked off of their list of preferred vendors and everyone they recommended was exceptional. Jackie was great about... Read More answering any questions that we had along the way and her expertise was much appreciated. My friend hired a wedding planner, but TCA is so organized that I didn’t feel like I even needed one! We were married in the Priory and had our reception in the Small Theater. What a cool venue! The Priory photographs really well and is perfect for a more intimate ceremony (we had just over 100 guests). The Small Theater is gorgeous with the twinkly lights hanging up everywhere- the evening felt magical and our photos are breathtaking. The décor is already so pretty that we only spent $150 for the tables which we used for artificial leaves and table numbers. In addition to the money we saved on decor, we also appreciated how reasonably priced everything was (food, alcohol, space rental) when we compared it to other venues that we looked at. Guests LOVED the food and they also liked that the dance floor was on stage. The stage isn’t so high that guests felt on display dancing there, but it’s high enough that everyone could see our first dances from their seats. The staff at TCA are exceptional. We gave them the items that we wanted placed on the tables and they did the rest. Everything looked beautiful and it was so nice just being able to enjoy the day without having to worry about anything because we knew we were in good hands!

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Miranda A

Jackie was amazing!! She was so helpful and knowledgeable. She answered every question I had and was so nice. She was there with me the day of our wedding and was really fantastic. She took care of everything. The venue itself was perfect. We used the small theater and it... Read More couldn't have been better. The lights make it seem like a fairytale. The food was wonderful, not to mention the great bartender. Every staff member is so helpful and has a great attitude. Jackie and the rest of the staff made it so easy on me. I love them for making our wedding day perfect!!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Kara F

Lori, Gina and the rest of the staff at the Columbus Athenaeum were nothing short of incredible. From our initial visit to leaving at the end of our reception, everything went so smoothly and beautifully. Gina did a wonderful job of keeping everything on schedule on the big day,... Read More but without being strict or pushy with us on the timeline - it was a perfect balance of allowing us to have fun but still making sure we got in everything we wanted to do. There was a great variety of choices for food, drink and decorations, and the venue was also super flexible in allowing us to bring in our own decorative items to give our personal touch to the big day (and they even set up those extra items for us). Overall, I could not have asked for a more perfect venue and staff for our wedding day, and I wouldn't change a thing! Our guests absolutely loved it as well!

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Jolene P

The Columbus Athenaeum was PERFECT for our wedding ceremony (Priory) and reception (Small Theater). The spaces themselves were stunning- such beautiful architecture and character that not much additional decoration is needed. The rooms were spectacular- linens, chairs, candles,... Read More centerpieces, lighting, etc.- everything came together in the most perfect way. Gina was absolutely incredible. She answered questions, offered suggestions, and kept us in the loop every step of the way. I could not have asked for a better TCA coordinator to help put our special day together. AMAZING. My husband and I went back to TCA after the wedding just to say 'goodbye'. She's truly wonderful. Compared to other venues, TCA is super affordable, especially considering the high quality of the food (seriously, guest are still raving about their meal), the event enhancements, and general packages. Things like cake cutting, set-up, menu card placement, etc. are all included AND TCA provides a healthy list of reputable vendors for flowers, photography, cake, and music. Working with TCA makes all of the planning so much easier and less stressful. I honestly could go on about how wonderful our TCA experience was for a lifetime. My husband and I are so pleased with how everything turned out and will certainly look fondly on our wedding ceremony and reception for many, many years to come. We've already joked that we'll be back for a vow renewal in 10+ years. Seriously. :)

Reviewed on 10/13/2016 Vera F

My husband and I visited over 10 places before we decided on TCA for our reception. We absolutely fell in love with the Large Theater. (However, they have several unique spaces.) Overall, it was very affordable and much cheaper than most of the places we had initially looked at... Read More for our reception. All the staff at TCA is very polite and professional (over the phone and in person). It was great to have everything in one place - food, alcohol, linens, centerpieces, etc. They literally take care of everything for you. We were even able to take the beer and wine back with us and had an after party. For our event, we worked with Jackie who was outstanding!!! She was very personal, organized, and accommodating. She made sure every little detail was in place and everything was perfect. The food at our wedding was phenomenal (even though we did not necessarily think that at the tasting). We did the platinum buffet. We had several people comment that it was the best food they ever had at a wedding. The donuts were a huge hit - would highly recommend! Absolutely everything was perfect, and we had such a fun time! Thank you so much Jackie and TCA staff!!! We cannot express our gratitude enough!

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Madison G

We cannot thank the Columbus Athenaeum enough for the PERFECT wedding! We had our wedding in the ballroom and it was a great size for our 200 guests. We worked with Jackie and she took care of everything; she is a saint! Quick to email you back, answer all questions, and give... Read More insights on what works best in the space. From food, to decorations, to alcohol, to linens the Athenaeum worked with us to get exactly what we wanted. They went above and beyond to make our wedding perfect and we are so grateful! Our guests are still raving about how beautiful the venue was and how AMAZING the food tasted!! You will not be disappointed by this venue!

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Elliott K

Kudos to the Columbus Athenaeum team for an outstanding job they did to make Tracee and Elliott Keefer's wedding reception a regal and magical event! From the receptionist/hostess/bartender, Jessica Ellicott, to the sales and event planner, Jackie Kelley, to the customer... Read More relations manager, Lori Fiske, to the executive chef, Lynn Kirch and the GM, Susan Cassidy,and all who made this a night to remember, our many thanks go out! The room was splendid, the decor fine, the food delicious, and the atmosphere fun and elegant! It was a dream come true for the bride and groom! A fabulous time was had by all as reported by several of our guests!! We appreciate more than words can express how wonderful and memorable this day was made by all that you did!! God Bless you all!

Reviewed on 9/26/2016 Alyssa B

We had both our ceremony and reception at The Columbus Athenaeum. The venue was absolutely perfect! We had a lot of guests coming from out of town, so having both events in the same place was ideal for our situation. We had our ceremony in the Macedonian Room which... Read More comfortably fit all 200 of our guests. We had our reception in the Olympian Ballroom which was the best choice we made throughout the wedding planning process. Not only is the room absolutely gorgeous, but it was also extremely spacious! We received many compliments from our guests about the beautiful set up. I am also extremely happy with the coordinating staff at the Athenaeum (big shout out to Gina!). There was not one thing that I had to worry about the entire night. The Columbus Athenaeum was the perfect venue for my husband and I. We recommend TCA to any bride who is looking for an elegant, spacious, and easy to plan venue.

Reviewed on 7/06/2016 Annie S

Gorgeous Venue for a great price. Lots to offer to make any style wedding come to life!

Reviewed on 6/14/2016 Sarah L

I had a wonderful experience having my wedding at The Athenaeum! The ladies were excellent in helping with each stage of planning and the day of couldn't have gone any better. I got so many compliments from my guests on the flow from the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception,... Read More along with how beautiful and unique the venue was. I was also told by several guests that it was the best food they've ever had at a wedding. I'm so glad I had my wedding there!

Reviewed on 5/01/2016 Courtney O

The only complaint I have is with the hours it's really hard to work full time and get things done. Everything else was PERFECT. All night long I had people telling me how wonderful the food was and how beautiful it looked. We were in the Large Theater and they help advise me so... Read More that everything would look perfect and it did. I'm so very glad I pick to have my reception here.

Reviewed on 4/08/2016 Jenna A

I cannot thank Gina and the staff at The Athenaeum enough for creating the perfect ceremony and reception for our special day! They staff and especially Gina went above and beyond to ensure our wedding day was exactly what we envisioned! We had so many complements on the venue,... Read More food, and staff from our wedding guests. I would HIGHLY recommend this venue to anyone planning a wedding! You will not be disappointed! Thanks again Gina!! You are the best!

Reviewed on 4/03/2016

The Athenaeum was a great choice for our wedding! We went with the Large Theater Room and worked with Gina for most of the process. She was GREAT and very helpful with providing different options to accommodate our last minute changes to the big day. This venue is very unique... Read More and perfect for a downtown wedding. The food was soooooo good and the chef was able to provide amazing options for our guests with food allergies! We loved having our wedding here!

Reviewed on 1/04/2016 Mara P

I couldn't ask for a better reception. Everything turned out perfectly!! Gina was absolutely amazing to work with and making sure that every detail was taken care of. Our reception was in the Olympian Ballroom and it looked amazing. Gina and the staff were fabulous to us and... Read More our guests and made sure that the entire night ran smoothly. We've received so many complements on the room, the food, the decor, etc. There isn't one thing that I'd change. Overall an amazing experience and day. Thank you Gina and The Columbus Athenaeum!!!

Reviewed on 12/02/2015 Emily M

We got married on 10/17/15 at the Columbus Athenaeum. We used The Priory and The Oak Room for 100 guests. It was perfect. Gina was helpful and attentive and always kept things moving. I always felt like she had our best interests at heart (even if that meant TCA lost a few... Read More hundred dollars). The rooms are so stately that we used very little additional decorations. We received countless compliments on the food and atmosphere. TCA is upfront from the very beginning about rules and timing (when you're allowed in the room and when you have to be out). We also only used recommended vendors from the provided list from TCA. We did not want to risk a vendor new to TCA struggling with getting in and out of the room on time and causing us extra $$. We did not feel we needed to hire a 3rd party wedding planner since we had Gina and our DJ on site to keep everything running smoothly. Our banquet captain (Ben) did a great job and keeping my husband and I hydrated and taking care of anything we requested. We hand-picked 3 couples to help take decorations/cake/gifts home with them that night, and Ben worked with each to get them loaded out before our deadline. Overall, I would recommend The Columbus Athenaeum to anyone considering a Downtown Columbus wedding.

Pulled Off Exactly As We Had Hoped!

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Meghan H

Overall, we loved our experience at the Columbus Athenaeum! Gina really helped us to make our day exactly as we had planned to every last detail! Location: Great for anyone wanting to remain downtown. We had a lot of people coming from out of town, so the proximity to the... Read More airport and ease of walk to the hotel were imperative. It was also nice to be near to other fun places so that out of town guests had places to see/things to do if they arrived the day before/early/stayed after. The venue was also great for us as we wanted it to have a bit of an city feel while also being "classic and elegant." The Athenaeum was just that! Planning:We actually started our experience at the Athenaeum with another planner who is no longer with the venue. I will say that she was much colder and a little more hesitant to do what we wanted. But it was all better when we got to work with Gina! She was fantastic! She really listened to what we wanted and gave us ideas on how to (affordably) achieve what we were wanting. She was also a great partner on helping us when we really didn't have a plan (i/e how much alcohol to purchase, food choices). She was very honest, and upfront. We knew that she wasn't just offering us the most expensive options, but the best options for us! The day of: One word, Amazing! The room was set up exactly as we had expected it to be. Everything that we provided (favors, thank you card, heritage table) was set up as we had advised. The room looked fantastic! Also, all of the events occurred on time and all of our guests seemed to get where they needed to go without any issue. The service staff were wonderful too! Although, my husband and I didn't get much time to eat, we were waited on hand and foot and never wanted for anything! It was also fantastic that the staff really handled all set up and tear down, we only had to drop of the additional things that we wanted to include and arrange for people to load gifts, excess alcohol and decor afterwards. Like I said: Amazing! Just a few things that I would call out: 1/ They host a lot of weddings at the same time. This made the rehearsal time for us a little different (mid-day the day before). Also, there are a lot of people attending other weddings around, but I will say that I only noticed this one time. Otherwise, they do a really good job of making it feel like it is only you! 2/I don't think that this differs from any other place that I looked into for the wedding, but you feel like you get charged for a lot of little things (i/e if you want floor length/different color table linens, you are going to pay for it). 3/They are also very strict with load-in and load-out times. It wasn't anything that we struggled with, but it doesn't quite give off an "at your service" vibe. None of the above kept us from enjoying our day! Like I have said, it was exactly (if not better) what we wanted. The people at the Athenaeum were wonderful and I would recommend this venue to others without hesitation.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Lindsey N

Danielle and the rest of the staff at the Athenaeum were fantastic during the planning period! From the moment we toured we knew it was the venue for us. She was patient with us through all of our changes. It's a great place if you want an all-inclusive venue! I would definitely... Read More suggest The Columbus Athenaeum to other brides or people looking for an event space. Our food was delicious and everyone complimented it all night, the space was beautifully set up, and the staff were quick to help the bridal party with anything they needed. I'm giving the Athenaeum 4/5 stars because there were some problems with our event, but they were minor. 1. The staff lost our cake knife & server, and we had to use theirs. They found it by the end of the night & returned it. 2. The alcohol ordering process involves the client choosing quantities of each alcohol, but the mixers are the Athenaeum's responsibility. They ran out of several juices and fruits during the event, and that was irritating since we didn't choose how many to order. 3. I also asked the staff to speak with my parents if we ran out of any alcohol because they were paying for the bar, and I didn't want to know if we were running out. However, the staff came straight to me once we ran out of wine. I went with the flow and pointed out my parents, I just wished I didn't have to worry about money during the event. The only other note I would say is the Athenaeum is very strict about timelines and rules. If you aren't willing to have a venue like that, then maybe look elsewhere. Even though a few minor problems happened during our event everything else was perfect!

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Lindsey N

TCA is the best venue around!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Amy A

We had both our Ceremony and Reception at TCA and I was absolutely impressed with how everything went! Our ceremony was in the Priory and reception in the Oak Room. We initially started with Ann Clark, but as she had to retire due to health reasons, she hand-picked Gina... Read More Cristofani to be our new coordinator. Gina was fantastic! She met with us within days of the switch, put us at ease with her expertise and knowledge of weddings and our specific wedding plans, and was always quick to respond to any questions my husband and I or my parents had. We were able to bring all our decor items down for setup the week of, which was very helpful! My husband and I were even given the chance to get a sneak peek at our rehearsal of the Oak Room. The day before and the day of, she was on site, came to find me when I arrived at TCA, helped throughout the evening with getting us ready for the ceremony, getting our things downstairs, getting our guests down to the cocktail hour, and even came to find me before she left for the evening to see if there was anything else we needed from her or the rest of the staff. Everything was beautiful, and I wouldn't change a thing! They do have rules there and are sticklers for time, but we managed to abide by them just fine with no issues. The rest of the staff were equally as friendly and helpful - our captains at dinner were fantastic (1 saw me carrying my plate back from our stations and ran over to carry for me so I didn't spill anything on my dress!), they were constantly around making sure everyone had what they needed, and just very pleasant people to work with. Our decor went perfectly with the Oak Room, and we heard they are still talking about it! We had so many compliments from the staff - from the head chef to those helping us load carts into the service elevators to take to our cars at the end of the night. And the food was equally as fabulous! My husband and I knew we'd miss the cocktail hour due to pictures, but once we arrived we had our appetizer options (the meatball bar – which is a must!!, Spanakopita, Anti-Pasta platter options, and Bacon-wrapped Water Chestnuts) were waiting for us at our spots (which TCA told us they do for the Bride and Groom). All the station options we had picked we had personally tried at the tasting date and they did not disappoint! The head chef was there carving the Prime Rib, we had a pasta and mashed potato station, side items, the Chicken Beurre Blanc – all of it was delicious! Just like when we had sampled it all back in February. Also a plus is that the leftover wine and beer we were able to take home with us to use again in the future (since they are bought through the venue by the case). I know I will highly recommend TCA to any bride, and I know if we ever need a space (large or small) for a company function or other event, we'll definitely consider TCA. It wasn't the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but with what we got, it was definitely money well spent!! Thank you so much to Gina and the TCA staff! You were absolutely wonderful to work with, and thanks for making our wedding a dream come true!

Reviewed on 9/30/2015 Lauren B

Our wedding was over Labor Day this year. We had our reception within the Large Theatre. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was raving about the space. They loved how unique it was as did we! We did not want a standard ballroom, so this was a perfect fit for us. We worked with Gina... Read More from beginning to end and she was such a great help. She was very knowledgeable about the space and the options the Athenaeum were able to offer. The food at the reception was also wonderful, so good! Overall, it was a great experience. I wouldn't change a thing!

September 2015 Wedding

Reviewed on 9/29/2015 Emily I

If I did my wedding over, I would choose The Columbus Athenaeum 1000 times! We had a great experience from beginning to end-- I don't have a single complaint. We held our reception in the Olympian Ballroom. We worked with Danielle and she made everything from picking the menu to... Read More the decorations completely stress-free. She was a pleasure to work with! It was so nice to have TCA handle the food, decor and alcohol so I didn't have to find any outside vendors. The ballroom itself is beautiful so you really don't need a lot of extra decor, but they still have a lot of options to choose from. The food turned out great and several of our guests complimented about how good everything tasted. Overall, we were very happy and would definitely recommend TCA!