The Commons 1854

Topsfield, MA

Book Your Wedding with The Commons 1854

A BALLROOM IN TOPSFIELD, MA

The Grand Ballroom acts as the main reception space, as well as an optional indoor ceremony space. The luxurious space features grand windows with stunning views of town common in Topsfield's historic district, as well as modern amenities for comfort. Maple flooring, high ceilings, Swarovski crystal chandeliers, towering columns, gold Chiavari chairs, fireplace and crown molding are just a few of the features utilized to create an inviting and elegant reception space.

Catering and bar services are offered on-site, so couples are able to work with their personal event coordinator on all aspects of their wedding day.

The Commons 1854 offers a comprehensive wedding package that includes all taxes and fees for all aspects of the wedding, including the ceremony, reception, catering and bar services. All catering and bar services must be provided by the venue, and the venue must approve all decorations. Wedding start times are flexible, but events must conclude by 11:30 p.m.

Catering prices are per person, and options include plated, buffet, stations and hors d'oeuvres. Prices include servers and cake cutting services and bar service fees include a bartender. Rehearsal dinner options are also available with plated, buffet, stations and hors d'oeuvres options available. Couples must meet a 75-guest minimum for weddings hosted at The Commons 1854.

The Commons 1854 is wheelchair accessible, and parking is available in a large on-site lot. Other perks include:

• Bridal suite
  • Personal event planning
  • Lighting and sound services
  • Liability insurance
  • Ceremony arch
  • Outside vendors are allowed
  • Catering and bar services are on-site
  • Dance floor
  • Coat check room
  • Champagne toast

Weddings | Special Events | Catering

Located in the heart of historical Topsfield, The Commons 1854 is the most awarded venue North of Boston since 2007. Through careful restoration, this historic venue has retained the charming flavor of the 19th century while adding all of the modern amenities. A quick gander through the impeccably, decorated interior, you’ll quickly learn of its’ sparkling white porcelain flooring, lavish crystal chandeliers and dynamite services. It would be our pleasure to reveal how our team of wedding professionals can turn your dreams into a reality. We invite you to tour our establishment to see the magic for yourself! Inquire today and book a tour with us to begin planning a celebration of a lifetime.

Ballroom, Garden, Estate, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

4 N Common St, Topsfield, MA (978) 887-4100

Reviewed on 7/20/2017 Alyssa D

This was quite literally the venue of our dreams. The courtyard where our ceremony took place was quaint and perfect for our relaxed but classic style. Outside it looks like a small town building and inside it is a gorgeous newly renovated ballroom and lower level marble floor... Read More cocktail area. The gazebo and old barn in the background were perfect for pictures too. The coordinator that worked with is was Johanna and she made sure everything went perfectly. Everything was smooth and well organized and as the bride I felt I had absolutely nothing to worry about which is all you can dream of for the big day. We received many compliments on Johanna about the her attentiveness to detail, and it all looked perfect. The catering here is to die for. I have never heard so many compliments on the food in my life even the pickiest eaters didn't have a single complaint absolutely delicious! This is in part to Johanna making sure every single person had their meals prepared exactly how they liked them. We had 80 people order steaks, and they made sure every one was cooked to the guest's tastes. Everything about The Commons is stunning and I cannot recommend it enough to any couple looking for a venue!

Reviewed on 10/03/2017 Krystal P

Our experience with the The Commons was perfect from start to finish. The entire staff was extremely responsive and helped me throughout the entire wedding planning process. One of the reasons we chose them is that everything is included so you don't have to stress out about... Read More finding other vendors and last minute expenses. True to their word everything was included as discussed, including silverware, tablecloths, signature drinks, and the list goes on! On the day of our wedding the team delivered the experience of our dreams. All of the decor was set up exactly as we wanted it and the entire staff made all of our guests feel so welcome. The venue is absolutely gorgeous but what makes this place unforgettable are the people you get to work with. This is the best possible decision we could have made!

Reviewed on 3/22/2017 Julie W

The Commons was the most perfect place for our winter wonderland wedding! The place is gorgeous in itself, the food is amazing and the staff is top-notch. The whole staff was so great to work with and paid attention to every detail for our ceremony to our reception. We... Read More couldn't be happier. The uplighting and decor went perfectly with our theme and they are so accommodating and professional. I wish our wedding was longer because it was prefect. I can't say enough about this place and the owners and staff. Our guest raved about the wedding and the venue! You won't be sorry if you have your wedding here and work with Kristi, Gianna, Johanna, Frankie and the whole staff! They are amazing! Thank you all for making our wedding day perfect!

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Mary Z

Beautiful venue, accommodating staff, delicious food, picturesquely New England. My husband and I instantly loved The Commons when we first visited, and we were assured that they had worked with many out-of-town couples before, so that was one of the details that secured for us... Read More that we wanted to have our wedding reception there. We're so thrilled with the beautiful setting and how we didn't have to deal with any details the day of our wedding. Johanna and the other staff really took care of everything the day of the wedding, and for that we are so grateful! They were also very helpful in connecting us with a nearby church and providing quality recommendations for hair, makeup, flowers, and transportation. We were very impressed with the quality of services provided and recommended by The Commons. I am giving four stars instead of five due to some frustrations that we had with communication. I mention this in hopes that it will be taken constructively--as I said, we were very happy with our decision to have our reception at The Commons and the following comments do not take away from the fact that we had a beautiful wedding day. That being said, we were expecting a little more help from The Commons in the planning process as we were living out-of-state at the time. I would have appreciated more check-ins from the staff about finalizing details. While most emails were answered within 1-2 days (thank you!) there were times when it took 2-4 weeks to get an important question answered, and we often received conflicting information depending on who we spoke with. When we first began planning, we were told incorrect information related to availability of certain tables, pricing of different details, etc etc. This led to a few inconveniences such as having to change our whole table set-up, including the flower arrangements, two weeks before the wedding. Everything turned out beautifully, however had we been operating with the correct information, there would have been one less stressor leading up to the wedding. We also had a few last minute cancellations and we were assured via email that we could have the extra meals wrapped up to take home so that we weren't throwing away literally hundreds of dollars of food. I even wrote this in the final spreadsheet that I sent to the venue, however this did not happen. In the grand scheme of things, these are small details, however there were too many instances for my liking in which incorrect information was given to us resulting in more stress and inconvenience for my husband and me. To end on a positive note, I also want to add that I really appreciated the flexibility of the staff the day of the wedding. Things went a little differently than we had originally discussed and Johanna and the rest of the staff didn't skip a beat--they rolled with the changing timeline with us and truly helped to make it the happiest day! We're very happy that we chose The Commons and we look back on our wedding day with such joy and happiness :-). Thank you!

2017-10-18T16:25:02 Response from the vendor

Hi Mary, thank you for your review. We are delighted that you chose The Commons 1854 as your wedding venue! We truly appreciate your kind words and enjoyed working with you throughout your planning process. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/10/2017 Devyn S

I had my wedding at the Commons on 9/30/17. It was so beautiful. All my guests were EXTREMELY impressed on how gorgeous everything was, how the food was so tasty and everyone bragged on how delicious my wedding cannoli cake was! My wedding turned out beautiful especially with... Read More last minute change of ceremony plans due to the weather. It was truly a memorable moment I will never forget!

Reviewed on 9/22/2017 Erica E

Our wedding was on 8/26/17 and I cannot imagine having it anywhere else. The staff and owners are so courteous and respectful of anything and everything! Our coordinator was Johanna and she was amazing and actually helped my mom and man of honor bustle my dress. The food was... Read More phenomenal (what out gusts said as we barely ate). Our guests are still raving about the food and staff. You will not be disappointed if you have your wedding here. I would give more than 5 stars if I could.

Reviewed on 9/19/2017 Amanda P

This venue is stunning and has it all for an elegant wedding - marble floors, high ceilings, grand chandeliers! Gianna, our coordinator, was a pleasure to work with! She was super helpful through the planning process, made sure we were on task and day of made sure everything... Read More went smoothly. The menu options are outstanding and our guests raved about the food! Everything about this venue is a dream and I would highly recommend it!

Reviewed on 9/13/2017 Lynnzie M

The Commons was everything we wanted in a wedding venue and more! The beautiful space and the amazing staff gave us the wedding of our dreams (huge shout-out to Johanna for making every aspect of our wedding vision a reality). The food was incredible, the ballroom looked... Read More gorgeous, and the gardens look beautiful in our photos. A month and a half later, our guests are still talking about how impressed they were with The Commons and the food. The Commons staff was an absolute pleasure to work with for the whole planning process, the rehearsal, and the day-of event, and we can't thank them enough!

Reviewed on 6/29/2017 Jennifer R

I wish I could give more than 5 stars! Words cannot express how great of an experience my husband and I had at The Commons 1854! Johanna is absolutely THE BEST wedding coordinator, so much so that multiple guests came up to me during the reception and asked if they could hire... Read More her for their weddings. Her attention to detail is impeccable, as well as being extremely professional and knowledgeable. I felt 100% taken care of and stress free knowing that Johanna would be there the day of my wedding. The rest of the team is also amazing and super professional. My friends and family are still talking about how it was the best wedding they have ever been to, especially about how great the food was!! Highly, highly recommend!

Reviewed on 4/06/2017 Amanda B

I just recently had my wedding at The Commons 1854 on April Fools Day. The joke shouldn't be lost on you- it clearly isn't on us. Kristi, Johanna and the team at the venue were impeccable from START to FINISH. Our April Fools Movie themed wedding was a complete success and all... Read More of our guests are still raving about it days later! The venue is gorgeous, the staff was always available to help out and then there is the food. We were mesmerized by the food at the tasting. The day of food was even better than the tasting. Their lead chef and his team delivered first class elegance and taste. I hope I get a chance to attend an event here as a guest next to get the full scope- however, I will look back at The Commons fondly for the beautiful dream-like day they helped make a reality.

Reviewed on 1/18/2017 Rita A

Heavenly! My daughter's wedding of September of 2016 was held at The Commons 1854, and it was perfect! The function hall is gorgeous - all wood floors (we didn't want any carpeting), beautiful tall windows with gorgeous drapery, smooth, calm paint on the walls. I am of... Read More Italian heritage and food is very, very important;bad food can break an event for me. No worries - the food was fantastic. The staff was very attentive, (including the wait staff), very helpful, and very accessible. They understand the stresses of a wedding. They have a fabulous checklist and would email my daughter to be sure she was on task. The ceremony was held outside in their beautiful garden. As an aside: we had looked in the Boston area and not only were the prices exorbitant, but they all included a 20% admin fee, then included that in the tax. We added Chinese lanterns, a cannoli table, coffee bar and extra hors d'oeuvres for our guests, and it was still less than Boston prices. I have a few friends who had been to weddings there and they had told me I would love it and be very happy. They were so right. My only problem? I want to do it all over again!

Reviewed on 12/28/2016 Heather J

Our winter wedding at The Commons was even better than I could have imagined. You know how people are always saying, "expect something to go wrong on your wedding day"? Not at The Commons! Everything was flawless, from the lighting to the food to the pacing of the night. Our... Read More guests commented on how smoothly everything went and how efficient the venue was in every way. The food was absolutely outstanding, and Johanna, our coordinator, was a professional at every turn. I had a lot of questions during the year leading up to the wedding, and Johanna was always prompt and pleasant in her replies. I cannot recommend The Commons highly enough - they made our night absolutely perfect!

Reviewed on 10/22/2016 Deedee P

We had our reception at the Commons September 17, 2016 - I cannot rave enough about this AMAZING venue. First off, it is BEAUTIFUL - we did an indoor/outdoor cocktail hour and had the reception upstairs. Johanna was our coordinator and was the best - from all of our pre-wedding... Read More meetings to the day of she was excellent, everything ran smoothly, she kept a great timeline, all the decor turned out exactly how I wanted - she was so professional and made sure the day was exactly how we wanted it. One example: we had about 180 guests and knew most of our crowd would be on the dance floor most of the night - Johanna suggested we break down two tables after dinner to open up the dance floor (something I would have never thought of) honestly, I did not even notice the team moving the tables AT ALL! They must have gotten everything moved in a matter of 30 seconds - and it worked out perfectly - plenty of room for dancing! The Commons food is delicious!! Guest are still raving about the filet mignon and the chicken florentine dishes we chose. For entertainment we had a live band - having them on the stage at the Commons was perfect Overall I cannot say enough great things about the wedding. I was nervous before about the size of our guest list, but the ballroom accommodated for our 180 guests perfectly. Throughout the entire planning process Johanna + the Commons team were so helpful, we could tell they really cared about us personally and our vision for the day. They made excellent suggestions and made sure we had thought about everything and all the little details. Definitely go with the Commons for your venue - I would not have wanted our wedding reception to be anywhere else !!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Jordyn C

My husband and I could not have asked for a better venue. Not only did we feel super comfortable with our coordinator (Gianna) but everyone made us feel welcome as if it was our home. We got both the elegance of a venue and a rustic feel to it all I one which was what we wanted.... Read More All staff members worked very hard throughout the planning process along with the actual wedding night. As nervous as we both were for our big day, each staff member made it less stressful for us all. The most amazing part was having all our guests say how great the food was, in fact the best they've had at a wedding. I had quite a few guests comment on how they'd like to get married at the Commons as well. Our day was so perfect and The Commons 1854 could not have done a better job!!!

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Jillian L

I feel so fortunate that I was able to have our wedding reception at The Commons 1854. This beautiful, historic venue is straight out of a fairy tale, with a grand ballroom that gleams with gold and the sparkle of incredible crystal chandeliers. However, what truly makes the... Read More Commons 1854 the best wedding venue on the North Shore is its team of amazing wedding consultants. We had the pleasure of working directly with the owner, Kristi Martino, throughout the planning process. She helped us plan for every detail based on the packages we chose from their wealth of options. This venue is perfect for a Type-A bride like me who was slightly overwhelmed by the wedding planning process, because The Commons 1854 takes care of so many important aspects of the wedding day themselves. The tables, chairs, linens, food, and bar are all taken care of in house. They coordinate seamlessly with other vendors, including the band/DJ, florist, photographer, videographer, and more. We had our ceremony at a different location, but they have a beautiful garden for outdoor ceremonies or they can hold the ceremony in the ballroom as well. Kristi and her team are so respectful of every family’s budget, and they never tried to upsell or charge us for something we did not want or need. If we asked for her opinion about a certain option, she didn’t automatically suggest the most expensive option. She thoughtfully reflected on what would be best for our guests based on the decisions we had made so far. We appreciated her honesty and expertise so much! The food at The Commons 1854 is absolutely spectacular. It was so difficult to select our choices for hors d’oeuvres, salad, main entrees, dessert, and late night snack because all of the choices were so delicious! Our guests had to stop themselves from ruining their appetites for dinner by eating too many of the fantastic cocktail hour passed hors d’oeuvres. Many of our guests came from Maryland, home to the best crab cakes in the country, and they all raved about the crab cakes at The Commons 1854. When we unexpectedly had some guests who requested vegan entrees, the owner and executive chef, Frank, accommodated their request with truly gourmet cuisine. Frank gave our guests so many personal touches through the artistry of his cooking that made them feel like they were eating at a gourmet restaurant, not a wedding reception. I know my husband says he dreams about the delicious beef tenderloin he had for his entrée! My mom and I had many personal touches to add to the décor at our wedding, which required a lot of set up and break down time for our wedding coordinators, Maura and Kristi, but they happily executed our every request. During the reception, Maura and Kristi attended to my husband and I diligently, making sure we stayed hydrated, had something to eat, and were enjoying and soaking up every moment of our day. At the end of the night, they told us not to worry about coming back to pick up all of our décor and other items until Monday because they did not have an event scheduled for the following day. This helped us to fully enjoy our entire wedding weekend, which we appreciated so much. We truly could not have hoped for a more beautiful and accommodating venue for our wedding day. Kristi, Frank, Maura, and their entire team gave us our dream wedding.

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Amanda C

It all started when my mom and I did our first meeting, I remember the owner was so friendly and pretty much hand feeding us samples of food. I even went home with a little sample platter! I was impressed then and everything got better and better! Gianna, our wedding... Read More coordinator, was absolutely amazing. Every staff member we encountered was so nice and you can really tell they enjoy where they work...which says a lot about the owners! The food was amazing, the gelato bar was by far my favorite!

Reviewed on 7/31/2016 Rebecca G

We had our wedding here and it couldn't have been more perfect. The venue is so gorgeous and they are continuously making updates to the venue to keep everything looking great. Johanna was amazing helping us plan and on the day of she made everything run smoothly behind the... Read More scenes. We wouldn't have changed a thing and are so happy we got married here!

Reviewed on 6/21/2016 Helena B

I am completely happy with every detail from day one upto the day of the wedding! The venue offers elegance in a relaxed atmosphere. Kristi was amazing as of all the support staff. They excelled in every expectation. Thank you so much for making it effortless!

Reviewed on 5/09/2016 Heather D

I can't say enough good things about the entire staff at The Commons 1854. They hosted our wedding last weekend and did an amazing job. Everyone there was very attentive throughout the whole process. From the initial visit, to the moment we walked to our car at the end of the... Read More wedding night, they were asking if they could do anything else for us. We worked mostly with Johanna who was amazing. She was a very calming presence during an otherwise busy wedding day. Not only did she guide us every step of the way, but she just knows what you need, before you know you need it. I remember clearly at the end of the night when all the guests were saying goodbye and leaving, I must have hugged and said goodbye to almost 60 people in 20 minutes. Naturally I was exhausted from the day's events and dancing etc.. As I said goodbye to the last person, I turned around and there was Johanna with a big smile and a glass of water waiting for me. She just knew that's what I needed !!! Everyone at The Commons 1854 was great. The wait staff during the night was extremely attentive, professional and helpful. The building itself is beautiful and newly renovated, but all the while keeping its historic charm. All of our guests commented on how beautiful the venue was and how great the food and services were. I highly recommend this venue. Heather and Nathan

Reviewed on 4/13/2016 Annie B

The Commons was incredible! From soup to nuts, they were on everything. Leading up to the big day, Kristi, Kelly, and Johanna were attentive, responsive, and adaptive. On the actual day, Johanna went above and beyond to make sure my groom and I were fully taken care of.... Read More Everywhere we looked she had a solution and made sure each and every big moment of the day went off without a hitch. It was truly a perfect venue and staff!

Perfect december wedding!

Reviewed on 1/06/2016 Lindsay M

I got married early in december and our wedding was amazing!! It is a beutiful venue for winter weddings!! Johanna was such a pleasure to work with. She was always available by phone and email throughout our planning process and was always willing to give her opinion when asked... Read More which was extremely helpful! She met with us as many times as we needed as well. Everyone at our reception was great and helped make it the best night of our life. We got so many compliments about the food, which is a big reason we chose this venue. We had 165 people and we felt like this was a great amount for the space. I think if you are looking to have a good size dance floor and not feel too crowded during cocktail hour 200 people (the venues max) would be too many. I would (and have already) recommended this venue to anyone looking in the area!

Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 12/29/2015 Skyler M

Choosing The Commons was the best decision! The ambiance was amazing (amber up lighting for the ceremony and I chose light blue for the reception) and the food was perfect! The staff is the best and Kelly was truly a God send! Her personality complemented ours perfectly and her... Read More calm demeanor put me at ease! She even performed surgery on my bouquet when my flowers showed up looking completely different than I had asked for. She went above and beyond what I would have expected! Kristi and Johanna were great the whole time leading up to the wedding, planning and accommodating me when I had to change appointment times and make changes to the final invoice. A couple times during the reception I just looked around and couldn't believe this beautiful wedding was mine! Everyone had a great time, enjoyed and raved about the food, and were in awe of the beauty of the venue! The perfect day!! P.s. The cost is surprisingly reasonable compared to many more traditional venues around.

Fantastic Wedding

Reviewed on 12/02/2015 Julia M

Our wedding was on October 31st, mainly because we were looking for a fall date not specifically for Halloween. After the year plus of prep I can say the night went pretty much exactly how we would have wanted it, and a lot of that was due to The Commons. Since they do it every... Read More week, they've got it down. Initial meetings and planning happen when you book then you'll have some downtime, in the weeks before the wedding you'll be working on all the finer details, selecting food, alcohol, etc. They were flexible with our food selections and the fact that they can get basically any kind of beer was awesome. People are still telling us the food was the best wedding food they've ever had, especially the beef. It was cooked perfectly, they just did a great job. We also went with the ice cream sundae bar and espresso/cappuccino bar.....both great choices. We held off on up lighting which turned out fine. Bottom line, you will not go wrong if you choose The Commons. They will help make sure the night goes smooth, and your guests will be telling you what a fantastic time they had.

The Commons 1854

Reviewed on 11/30/2015 Lauren C

I couldn't recommend The Commons 1854 highly enough for a wedding venue - everything about the venue was perfect for our wedding day. From the moment we walked in and met with Kristi, my husband and I knew this was the place for our wedding, and we have heard from many of our... Read More guests since, that this was "the best wedding ever!" - even one of our vendors! The Commons is absolutely beautiful inside and out, and we loved the idea of having our ceremony & reception in one place and were able to have our ceremony and cocktail hour outside in the beautifully upkept garden, complete with one of my favorite details - a little rock & water feature. Kristi made the whole process of planning every last detail easy and as stress free as planning a wedding can be. All of the staff at The Commons were extreamly professional, friendly and went above and beyond to keep not only us, but all of our guests happy. One of the biggest selling points for us was the food. My husband is a professional chef and had a nice time talking menus and foodstuffs with Kristi, and most importantly, the vendors that supply the food. After our first meeting with Kristi, he said to me "I know all the vendors they use, and it is nothing but top grade stuff." So, we knew the food would be good - but had no idea as to how good, until we attended the tasting. We were very excited with the menu selections and flavor combinations - with details to taste and texture. We quickly decided on what our selections would be for our big day - and we were very pleased, as was all of our guests, several months later and they are still talking about how delicious the food was! We had a perfect evening and didn't even have to worry about anything - everything was taken care of from the moment we arrived. We just had to show up and let Kristi run the show - everything went so smoothly that we hardly knew she was even there. If you are looking for a beautiful venue, with delicious food & professional, accomodating staff, and don't have to do anything but have a great time, I would highly recommend The Commons 1854.

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Stefanie S

We could not have chosen a more perfect venue for our August wedding. The grounds were perfect for the ceremony - the space comfortably held our 170 guests but still provided an intimate feel like we had wanted. The cocktail hour was fantastic - guests were able to mingle... Read More outside & in the gorgeously renovated lower level. The reception was just perfect - I had two concerns as the wedding date neared - seating guests on the balcony and the size of the dance floor - neither were a problem! Choosing the right crowd for the balcony left for a fun party during dinner up there & the dance floor was perfect for the 90% of guests that danced for 2+ hours! Food & Drink were just amazing - absolutely not "wedding food" - it was all delicious! Still having friends & family tell me about the fun apps, the great signature cocktails, the delicious salad and the STEAK! Our pictures had the best back drop - the ceremony grounds, the barn and the Commons were just gorgeous and perfectly fit the rustic chic theme we wanted. Last & definitely not least, we 100% echo all of the positive reviews in regards to professionalism of the staff - Kristi & Frank were so wonderful to work with when booking the venue & Johanna is a PRO - she does not miss a beat. Each meeting with her was efficient, positive and her follow up is quick & reliable. The day of was so smooth! So many friends had warned me to "plan for things to go wrong" - and nothing did. Johanna was one step ahead of everything. Thank you Johanna, Kristi & Frank for an absolutely perfect day!