The Commons 1854

Topsfield, MA

Book Your Wedding with The Commons 1854

A BALLROOM IN TOPSFIELD, MA

The Grand Ballroom acts as the main reception space, as well as an optional indoor ceremony space. The luxurious space features grand windows with stunning views of town common in Topsfield's historic district, as well as modern amenities for comfort. Maple flooring, high ceilings, Swarovski crystal chandeliers, towering columns, gold Chiavari chairs, fireplace and crown molding are just a few of the features utilized to create an inviting and elegant reception space.

Catering and bar services are offered on-site, so couples are able to work with their personal event coordinator on all aspects of their wedding day.

The Commons 1854 offers a comprehensive wedding package that includes all taxes and fees for all aspects of the wedding, including the ceremony, reception, catering and bar services. All catering and bar services must be provided by the venue, and the venue must approve all decorations. Wedding start times are flexible, but events must conclude by 11:30 p.m.

Catering prices are per person, and options include plated, buffet, stations and hors d'oeuvres. Prices include servers and cake cutting services and bar service fees include a bartender. Rehearsal dinner options are also available with plated, buffet, stations and hors d'oeuvres options available. Couples must meet a 75-guest minimum for weddings hosted at The Commons 1854.

The Commons 1854 is wheelchair accessible, and parking is available in a large on-site lot. Other perks include:

• Bridal suite
  • Personal event planning
  • Lighting and sound services
  • Liability insurance
  • Ceremony arch
  • Outside vendors are allowed
  • Catering and bar services are on-site
  • Dance floor
  • Coat check room
  • Champagne toast

Weddings & Special Events

Located in the heart of historical Topsfield, The Commons 1854 is the most awarded venue North of Boston since 2007. Through careful restoration, this historic venue has retained the charming flavor of the 19th century while adding all of the modern amenities. A quick gander through the impeccably, decorated interior, you’ll quickly learn of its’ sparkling white porcelain flooring, lavish crystal chandeliers and dynamite services. It would be our pleasure to reveal how our team of wedding professionals can turn your dreams into a reality. We invite you to tour our establishment to see the magic for yourself! Inquire today and book a tour with us to begin planning a celebration of a lifetime.

Ballroom, Garden, Historic Venue, Mansion + Estate

D5539e19 8bbd 4a86 b4c8 d7be04c6c773~rs 100
7504f472 fbdf 4115 a317 0a8fdec1b4a5~rs 100

4 N Common St, Topsfield, MA (978) 887-4100

Reviewed on 12/06/2017 jessica p

I could not have chosen a better venue! My guests are still talking about how amazing everything was. My two most important things when deciding was food and a beautiful space and they far exceeded all my expectations. On top of the space and food being amazing my coordinator... Read More Gianna and every single staff member that worked my wedding went above and beyond. I felt Like a true princess bride who was catered to from the second I stepped Through their doors... along with all my guests! There is absolutely nothing I would change. Brides would be crazy for the commons to not be their #1 choice. If you want the best food, service and a beautiful ballroom the commons is the best choice. My day couldn’t have been anymore beautiful and went any more smoother then it did and at the end of the day that’s all a bride hopes for. So thankful with my choice at having my fairytale wedding at the commons 1854.

Reviewed on 10/03/2017 Krystal P

Our experience with the The Commons was perfect from start to finish. The entire staff was extremely responsive and helped me throughout the entire wedding planning process. One of the reasons we chose them is that everything is included so you don't have to stress out about... Read More finding other vendors and last minute expenses. True to their word everything was included as discussed, including silverware, tablecloths, signature drinks, and the list goes on! On the day of our wedding the team delivered the experience of our dreams. All of the decor was set up exactly as we wanted it and the entire staff made all of our guests feel so welcome. The venue is absolutely gorgeous but what makes this place unforgettable are the people you get to work with. This is the best possible decision we could have made!

Reviewed on 3/22/2017 Julie W

The Commons was the most perfect place for our winter wonderland wedding! The place is gorgeous in itself, the food is amazing and the staff is top-notch. The whole staff was so great to work with and paid attention to every detail for our ceremony to our reception. We... Read More couldn't be happier. The uplighting and decor went perfectly with our theme and they are so accommodating and professional. I wish our wedding was longer because it was prefect. I can't say enough about this place and the owners and staff. Our guest raved about the wedding and the venue! You won't be sorry if you have your wedding here and work with Kristi, Gianna, Johanna, Frankie and the whole staff! They are amazing! Thank you all for making our wedding day perfect!

Reviewed on 1/09/2018 Holly K

The Common 1854 was such a gorgeous venue for my December 30th wedding. They were able to make my images of my dream wedding come to life. The venue is family owned and they definitely treated my husband and I, like one of their own. First off, Gianna was hands down the best... Read More wedding coordinator I've ever heard of and she went to great lengths to make sure my husband, myself and our guests were taken care of. From Gianna reaching out to her contacts to find me a more fitting hairstylist/makeup artist only 4 weeks out from my wedding date, to rebustling my dress with safety pins in the bathroom half way through the night, to being right by my side with bobby pins when she noticed some of my hair starting to fall out of place. She's also someone who listens closely to details, even when I hadn't realized I had explained my images of setting up my décor, but she came through and made my dreams true to life. Both Kristi and Gianna were always professional, organized and quick responding to my emails and many questions I had during the planning process. They made everything run flawlessly and couldn't be any sweeter. The owner Frank, his son (head Chef) and all of the other Chef's outdo themselves when it comes to the food. They are passionate with what they do and every app and dish couldn't have been any more delicious. We keep hearing from our guests that they've never had such amazing food and it's all thanks to them. Their Filet and pizza is something everyone should try. A-mazing! I have my own food allergies and the chef's were great about accommodating my dishes during the food tasting and on our big day. The venue itself, from the clean modernized downstairs (cocktail hour) to the gold trim, large windows and chandeliers that hang in the ballroom, is gorgeous no matter how you decorate it. It is a very romantic and timeless looking venue. Love Love Love The Commons 1854 and can't even explain fully how amazing this venue is for weddings.

Reviewed on 1/03/2018 Amanda V

The commons is an amazing wedding venue!! We just had our wedding NYE and it was absolutely perfect! I found the commons by accent, I had never heard of the commons before and I found it looking through the knot. When we toured it I knew instantly this was the place I wanted to... Read More get married. Very bling bling glamorous venue. Perfect for my dream NYE wedding. The staff is amazing Kristi and Gianna are wonderful and extremely helpful in all aspects of the planning process. The food is amazing the staff is amazing and the venue is spectacular. We could not have been happier! The grounds inside and out are beautiful. I knew when choosing a venue I needed a place beautiful inside and out because getting married in the winter in New England can be hit or miss. I'm so happy and highly recommended the Commons!

Reviewed on 12/09/2017 Holly P

I'm not quite sure where to even start because every aspect of my reception at The Commons 1854 was amazing. My wedding was over 6 months ago and friends and family wont stop raving about the venue, food, drinks, service etc. On multiple occasions friends and family have told me... Read More its the best wedding they've ever been to. The staff was amazing making sure I was always taken care of during pictures, dinner, and dancing. Even down to my drink always being refreshed in the corner of the dance floor, waiting for me. My bustle broke, badly, and Johanna jumped in without hesitation to help sew and fix it. The Commons' attention to detail is exquisite and really makes a celebration a memorable experience for the guests, bride, and groom. Thanks to everyone at The Commons who made my day such a memorable day for my husband and I!

Reviewed on 11/19/2017 Mercedes N

As soon as we walked through the doors we fell deeply in love! We can’t say enough wonderful things about this venue!! From the staff (Giana!!!!!), food and ambiance was amazing from start to finish. The food in itself deserves a round of applause. This venue went above and... Read More beyond on our special day. If there is an opening book it fast!! You will not be disappointed and this wonderful jem!!

Reviewed on 11/13/2017 Amy R

We got married at The Commons in October 2017 and everything went perfectly. The venue is so gorgeous. It can hold its own if you have a limited budget for flowers and decorations. So many of our guests were commenting on the food and the service throughout the entire night.... Read More Every waiter/waitress, bartender and staff member was super friendly and hardworking the whole time. Gianna was our coordinator and was so sweet and extremely responsive and helpful. Can’t ask for much more than that. We are so happy we found The Commons and trusted them with the most important day of our lives so far.

Reviewed on 10/24/2017 Chris L

EXCEPTIONALLY AWESOME WEDDING DAY!! We held my daughter and her partners wedding at The Commons 1854 this past Friday, October 20, 2017. I don't think there are enough words to describe how fantastic the entire day was for our family and friends. Starting from booking the... Read More Commons, the experience with the staff has been nothing short of wonderful. Gianna's, the event planner for our daughters wedding, attention to detail was evident in every aspect of the day. The staff promptly attended to all of our guests arriving for the ceremony, which was held in the courtyard, by offering a glass of champagne. The appetizers during the cocktail hour were plentiful, warm and delicious. The fig and brie tartlets and the tomato soup and grilled cheese appetizers were a HUGE hit. All of our dinner selections were served perfectly cooked, warm and in generous portions. Gianna worked diligently throughout the night to ensure every guest was attended to no matter the request. The Commons is an absolutely beautiful venue in the quaint town of Topsfield. Our out-of-town guests were treated to the beautiful fall scenery on what was a fantastic New England day. All of the vendors were coordinated through Gianna during the day and it hardly seemed like any of them were even there. For the entire evening, we were able to enjoy the wedding and our guests. Every communication whether phone call or email with Gianna or Christy was answered efficiently. My entire family will be forever grateful for making a special day into an EXTRAORDINARY EVENT that will never be forgotten. As I said to Gianna, I feel as if I've made new friends.....Thank you .....Thank you......Thank you! Chris and Donna and of course Bianca and Mercedes as well!!

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Mary Z

Beautiful venue, accommodating staff, delicious food, picturesquely New England. My husband and I instantly loved The Commons when we first visited, and we were assured that they had worked with many out-of-town couples before, so that was one of the details that secured for us... Read More that we wanted to have our wedding reception there. We're so thrilled with the beautiful setting and how we didn't have to deal with any details the day of our wedding. Johanna and the other staff really took care of everything the day of the wedding, and for that we are so grateful! They were also very helpful in connecting us with a nearby church and providing quality recommendations for hair, makeup, flowers, and transportation. We were very impressed with the quality of services provided and recommended by The Commons. I am giving four stars instead of five due to some frustrations that we had with communication. I mention this in hopes that it will be taken constructively--as I said, we were very happy with our decision to have our reception at The Commons and the following comments do not take away from the fact that we had a beautiful wedding day. That being said, we were expecting a little more help from The Commons in the planning process as we were living out-of-state at the time. I would have appreciated more check-ins from the staff about finalizing details. While most emails were answered within 1-2 days (thank you!) there were times when it took 2-4 weeks to get an important question answered, and we often received conflicting information depending on who we spoke with. When we first began planning, we were told incorrect information related to availability of certain tables, pricing of different details, etc etc. This led to a few inconveniences such as having to change our whole table set-up, including the flower arrangements, two weeks before the wedding. Everything turned out beautifully, however had we been operating with the correct information, there would have been one less stressor leading up to the wedding. We also had a few last minute cancellations and we were assured via email that we could have the extra meals wrapped up to take home so that we weren't throwing away literally hundreds of dollars of food. I even wrote this in the final spreadsheet that I sent to the venue, however this did not happen. In the grand scheme of things, these are small details, however there were too many instances for my liking in which incorrect information was given to us resulting in more stress and inconvenience for my husband and me. To end on a positive note, I also want to add that I really appreciated the flexibility of the staff the day of the wedding. Things went a little differently than we had originally discussed and Johanna and the rest of the staff didn't skip a beat--they rolled with the changing timeline with us and truly helped to make it the happiest day! We're very happy that we chose The Commons and we look back on our wedding day with such joy and happiness :-). Thank you!

2017-10-18T16:25:02 Response from the vendor

Hi Mary, thank you for your review. We are delighted that you chose The Commons 1854 as your wedding venue! We truly appreciate your kind words and enjoyed working with you throughout your planning process. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/10/2017 Devyn S

I had my wedding at the Commons on 9/30/17. It was so beautiful. All my guests were EXTREMELY impressed on how gorgeous everything was, how the food was so tasty and everyone bragged on how delicious my wedding cannoli cake was! My wedding turned out beautiful especially with... Read More last minute change of ceremony plans due to the weather. It was truly a memorable moment I will never forget!

Reviewed on 9/22/2017 Erica E

Our wedding was on 8/26/17 and I cannot imagine having it anywhere else. The staff and owners are so courteous and respectful of anything and everything! Our coordinator was Johanna and she was amazing and actually helped my mom and man of honor bustle my dress. The food was... Read More phenomenal (what out gusts said as we barely ate). Our guests are still raving about the food and staff. You will not be disappointed if you have your wedding here. I would give more than 5 stars if I could.

Reviewed on 9/19/2017 Amanda P

This venue is stunning and has it all for an elegant wedding - marble floors, high ceilings, grand chandeliers! Gianna, our coordinator, was a pleasure to work with! She was super helpful through the planning process, made sure we were on task and day of made sure everything... Read More went smoothly. The menu options are outstanding and our guests raved about the food! Everything about this venue is a dream and I would highly recommend it!

Reviewed on 9/13/2017 Lynnzie M

The Commons was everything we wanted in a wedding venue and more! The beautiful space and the amazing staff gave us the wedding of our dreams (huge shout-out to Johanna for making every aspect of our wedding vision a reality). The food was incredible, the ballroom looked... Read More gorgeous, and the gardens look beautiful in our photos. A month and a half later, our guests are still talking about how impressed they were with The Commons and the food. The Commons staff was an absolute pleasure to work with for the whole planning process, the rehearsal, and the day-of event, and we can't thank them enough!

Reviewed on 7/20/2017 Alyssa D

This was quite literally the venue of our dreams. The courtyard where our ceremony took place was quaint and perfect for our relaxed but classic style. Outside it looks like a small town building and inside it is a gorgeous newly renovated ballroom and lower level marble floor... Read More cocktail area. The gazebo and old barn in the background were perfect for pictures too. The coordinator that worked with is was Johanna and she made sure everything went perfectly. Everything was smooth and well organized and as the bride I felt I had absolutely nothing to worry about which is all you can dream of for the big day. We received many compliments on Johanna about the her attentiveness to detail, and it all looked perfect. The catering here is to die for. I have never heard so many compliments on the food in my life even the pickiest eaters didn't have a single complaint absolutely delicious! This is in part to Johanna making sure every single person had their meals prepared exactly how they liked them. We had 80 people order steaks, and they made sure every one was cooked to the guest's tastes. Everything about The Commons is stunning and I cannot recommend it enough to any couple looking for a venue!

Reviewed on 6/29/2017 Jennifer R

I wish I could give more than 5 stars! Words cannot express how great of an experience my husband and I had at The Commons 1854! Johanna is absolutely THE BEST wedding coordinator, so much so that multiple guests came up to me during the reception and asked if they could hire... Read More her for their weddings. Her attention to detail is impeccable, as well as being extremely professional and knowledgeable. I felt 100% taken care of and stress free knowing that Johanna would be there the day of my wedding. The rest of the team is also amazing and super professional. My friends and family are still talking about how it was the best wedding they have ever been to, especially about how great the food was!! Highly, highly recommend!

Reviewed on 4/06/2017 Amanda B

I just recently had my wedding at The Commons 1854 on April Fools Day. The joke shouldn't be lost on you- it clearly isn't on us. Kristi, Johanna and the team at the venue were impeccable from START to FINISH. Our April Fools Movie themed wedding was a complete success and all... Read More of our guests are still raving about it days later! The venue is gorgeous, the staff was always available to help out and then there is the food. We were mesmerized by the food at the tasting. The day of food was even better than the tasting. Their lead chef and his team delivered first class elegance and taste. I hope I get a chance to attend an event here as a guest next to get the full scope- however, I will look back at The Commons fondly for the beautiful dream-like day they helped make a reality.

Reviewed on 1/18/2017 Rita A

Heavenly! My daughter's wedding of September of 2016 was held at The Commons 1854, and it was perfect! The function hall is gorgeous - all wood floors (we didn't want any carpeting), beautiful tall windows with gorgeous drapery, smooth, calm paint on the walls. I am of... Read More Italian heritage and food is very, very important;bad food can break an event for me. No worries - the food was fantastic. The staff was very attentive, (including the wait staff), very helpful, and very accessible. They understand the stresses of a wedding. They have a fabulous checklist and would email my daughter to be sure she was on task. The ceremony was held outside in their beautiful garden. As an aside: we had looked in the Boston area and not only were the prices exorbitant, but they all included a 20% admin fee, then included that in the tax. We added Chinese lanterns, a cannoli table, coffee bar and extra hors d'oeuvres for our guests, and it was still less than Boston prices. I have a few friends who had been to weddings there and they had told me I would love it and be very happy. They were so right. My only problem? I want to do it all over again!

Reviewed on 12/28/2016 Heather J

Our winter wedding at The Commons was even better than I could have imagined. You know how people are always saying, "expect something to go wrong on your wedding day"? Not at The Commons! Everything was flawless, from the lighting to the food to the pacing of the night. Our... Read More guests commented on how smoothly everything went and how efficient the venue was in every way. The food was absolutely outstanding, and Johanna, our coordinator, was a professional at every turn. I had a lot of questions during the year leading up to the wedding, and Johanna was always prompt and pleasant in her replies. I cannot recommend The Commons highly enough - they made our night absolutely perfect!

Reviewed on 10/22/2016 Deedee P

We had our reception at the Commons September 17, 2016 - I cannot rave enough about this AMAZING venue. First off, it is BEAUTIFUL - we did an indoor/outdoor cocktail hour and had the reception upstairs. Johanna was our coordinator and was the best - from all of our pre-wedding... Read More meetings to the day of she was excellent, everything ran smoothly, she kept a great timeline, all the decor turned out exactly how I wanted - she was so professional and made sure the day was exactly how we wanted it. One example: we had about 180 guests and knew most of our crowd would be on the dance floor most of the night - Johanna suggested we break down two tables after dinner to open up the dance floor (something I would have never thought of) honestly, I did not even notice the team moving the tables AT ALL! They must have gotten everything moved in a matter of 30 seconds - and it worked out perfectly - plenty of room for dancing! The Commons food is delicious!! Guest are still raving about the filet mignon and the chicken florentine dishes we chose. For entertainment we had a live band - having them on the stage at the Commons was perfect Overall I cannot say enough great things about the wedding. I was nervous before about the size of our guest list, but the ballroom accommodated for our 180 guests perfectly. Throughout the entire planning process Johanna + the Commons team were so helpful, we could tell they really cared about us personally and our vision for the day. They made excellent suggestions and made sure we had thought about everything and all the little details. Definitely go with the Commons for your venue - I would not have wanted our wedding reception to be anywhere else !!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Jordyn C

My husband and I could not have asked for a better venue. Not only did we feel super comfortable with our coordinator (Gianna) but everyone made us feel welcome as if it was our home. We got both the elegance of a venue and a rustic feel to it all I one which was what we wanted.... Read More All staff members worked very hard throughout the planning process along with the actual wedding night. As nervous as we both were for our big day, each staff member made it less stressful for us all. The most amazing part was having all our guests say how great the food was, in fact the best they've had at a wedding. I had quite a few guests comment on how they'd like to get married at the Commons as well. Our day was so perfect and The Commons 1854 could not have done a better job!!!

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Jillian L

I feel so fortunate that I was able to have our wedding reception at The Commons 1854. This beautiful, historic venue is straight out of a fairy tale, with a grand ballroom that gleams with gold and the sparkle of incredible crystal chandeliers. However, what truly makes the... Read More Commons 1854 the best wedding venue on the North Shore is its team of amazing wedding consultants. We had the pleasure of working directly with the owner, Kristi Martino, throughout the planning process. She helped us plan for every detail based on the packages we chose from their wealth of options. This venue is perfect for a Type-A bride like me who was slightly overwhelmed by the wedding planning process, because The Commons 1854 takes care of so many important aspects of the wedding day themselves. The tables, chairs, linens, food, and bar are all taken care of in house. They coordinate seamlessly with other vendors, including the band/DJ, florist, photographer, videographer, and more. We had our ceremony at a different location, but they have a beautiful garden for outdoor ceremonies or they can hold the ceremony in the ballroom as well. Kristi and her team are so respectful of every family’s budget, and they never tried to upsell or charge us for something we did not want or need. If we asked for her opinion about a certain option, she didn’t automatically suggest the most expensive option. She thoughtfully reflected on what would be best for our guests based on the decisions we had made so far. We appreciated her honesty and expertise so much! The food at The Commons 1854 is absolutely spectacular. It was so difficult to select our choices for hors d’oeuvres, salad, main entrees, dessert, and late night snack because all of the choices were so delicious! Our guests had to stop themselves from ruining their appetites for dinner by eating too many of the fantastic cocktail hour passed hors d’oeuvres. Many of our guests came from Maryland, home to the best crab cakes in the country, and they all raved about the crab cakes at The Commons 1854. When we unexpectedly had some guests who requested vegan entrees, the owner and executive chef, Frank, accommodated their request with truly gourmet cuisine. Frank gave our guests so many personal touches through the artistry of his cooking that made them feel like they were eating at a gourmet restaurant, not a wedding reception. I know my husband says he dreams about the delicious beef tenderloin he had for his entrée! My mom and I had many personal touches to add to the décor at our wedding, which required a lot of set up and break down time for our wedding coordinators, Maura and Kristi, but they happily executed our every request. During the reception, Maura and Kristi attended to my husband and I diligently, making sure we stayed hydrated, had something to eat, and were enjoying and soaking up every moment of our day. At the end of the night, they told us not to worry about coming back to pick up all of our décor and other items until Monday because they did not have an event scheduled for the following day. This helped us to fully enjoy our entire wedding weekend, which we appreciated so much. We truly could not have hoped for a more beautiful and accommodating venue for our wedding day. Kristi, Frank, Maura, and their entire team gave us our dream wedding.

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Amanda C

It all started when my mom and I did our first meeting, I remember the owner was so friendly and pretty much hand feeding us samples of food. I even went home with a little sample platter! I was impressed then and everything got better and better! Gianna, our wedding... Read More coordinator, was absolutely amazing. Every staff member we encountered was so nice and you can really tell they enjoy where they work...which says a lot about the owners! The food was amazing, the gelato bar was by far my favorite!

Reviewed on 7/31/2016 Rebecca G

We had our wedding here and it couldn't have been more perfect. The venue is so gorgeous and they are continuously making updates to the venue to keep everything looking great. Johanna was amazing helping us plan and on the day of she made everything run smoothly behind the... Read More scenes. We wouldn't have changed a thing and are so happy we got married here!

Reviewed on 6/21/2016 Helena B

I am completely happy with every detail from day one upto the day of the wedding! The venue offers elegance in a relaxed atmosphere. Kristi was amazing as of all the support staff. They excelled in every expectation. Thank you so much for making it effortless!