The Essex Resort & Spa

Essex, VT

Book Your Wedding with The Essex Resort & Spa

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa is situated between the Green Mountains and Lake Champlain in Essex, Vermont. The upscale and modern 4-star hotel, with 120 rooms and is surrounded by 18 acres of landscaped grounds. The resort also includes two restaurants and a culinary school.

The Ponds at Bolton Valley is The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa's exclusive off-site wedding venue. Surrounded by 5,000 acres of Vermont mountains and forests, the venue offers panoramic views from every window. The venue, which contains four event spaces, offers over 13,000 square feet of space to accommodate up to 400 wedding guests.

The East Lawn. The East Lawn is the site of wedding ceremonies. Couples can exchange vows under a twig arbor that sits next to a pond framed by the forest. Or they can say "I do" on the lawn in front of a white gazebo.

The Atrium. The Atrium is the premier location for sophisticated wedding receptions. The spacious and sun-filled room, with its vaulted white ceiling and white decor, overlooks the gardens of the East lawn.

The Ballroom. The Ballroom is a large and versatile room with a vaulted ceiling and spectacular river stone fireplace. The space showcases an upscale wilderness elegance that blends seamlessly with the postcard-ideal scenery that creates a backdrop for the space.

Salons I, II and III. Salons I, II and III can be combined or separated as needed. The trio of sunlit rooms creates a ideally sized room for wedding receptions.

The venue customizes weddings based on budget. The cost varies based on menu and venue choices as well as desired personal touches. Wedding planners are available to assist couples and catering services and alcohol are provided by the venue. A food and beverage minimum is applied to all weddings and the bar can be open a maximum of five hours. The rental fee includes five and a half hours of event time with an option to arrange additional hours. There is discounted pricing on Saturdays during the months of June, September and October.

Amenities include a ceremony arch, dance floor, votive candles and tables and chairs, including chiavari chairs. The venue provides security for weddings and an on-site manager on the day of the event. A complimentary bridal suite and champagne toast is offered. Amplified music is permitted both indoors and outdoors, but music must end by 11 p.m.. Smoking is allowed outside only.

Having a wedding at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa includes the following on-site perks:

• Outdoor tennis courts
  • 18-hole golf course
  • Spa with indoor and outdoor pools
  • Fitness center
  • Guided Vermont tours
  • Hot air ballooning
  • Eco-friendly vegetable and herb gardens
  • Close to Northern Lights Rock & Ice Ropes Course
  • Close to bicycle and walking paths

Love. Pure Vermont.

A superb Vermont wedding is yours to have at The Essex. Our beautiful, 18-acre resort serves as the perfect backdrop for your most important day, with world-class chefs, deluxe accommodations, bountiful activities, and a new state-of-the-art spa. Wedding packages also available.

Backyard, Ballroom, Garden, Hotel, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff, Transportation

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100
7504f472 fbdf 4115 a317 0a8fdec1b4a5~rs 100

70 Essex Way, Essex, VT (800) 727-4295

Reviewed on 10/11/2013 Alison S

Beautiful venue, wonderful staff! Our wedding weekend was absolutely fantastic, the wedding coordinator at The Essex took care of everything the day of the wedding so I didn't have to worry about a thing. The food was delicious and we danced the night away!

friendly and great

Reviewed on 9/19/2013 Meghann D

i had my hair and makeup and a manicure done at the Inn. all of the gals were wonderful and sweet :) my maid of honor also got her hair and makeup done, and we were treated like queens. coffee and mimosa's were ordered in. a great experience all around.

Great work!

Reviewed on 7/05/2013 Alex C

I skipped a trial for my hair and make-up because it was so expensive, so I was curious how things would turn out. I went with the Essex originally because it was the only place I could find that was open on Sunday, which is when my wedding was. Hair was first, I sent in two... Read More pictures ahead of time and they had printed them out. I told her exactly what I liked from each picture and she made it happen. My hair is not easy to work with, but the staff was so knowledgable that they made it work. I loved the end result, a curly up-do with my tiara locked firmly in place. It stayed all night. Make-up was a bit more trial and error, mainly because she had to try different types of make-up to see which fit my skin type best. I requested a small adjustment to the eye-shadow color and she changed it immediately. They really care about making you happy there, it's not about their vision, it's about yours. Flawless results, very proffesional and friendly staff, an A+ for wedding hair and make-up!

Reviewed on 12/29/2017 Kimberly M

When my fiancé and I saw The Ponds for the first time, we just knew it was the venue for us! We married at The Ponds in July of 2017, and although we were planning long-distance from CT, the distance was never a problem. Our wedding coordinator, Shana, was helpful,... Read More professional and always there when I had a question or concern. She worked with me on our budget and our vision for the day. I was able to coordinate times to do additional visits and a tasting, and Shana was always very accommodating. She went above and beyond to help calm my nerves the week before the wedding and even assisted with signage and set up. The venue was just beautiful and the day was everything we dreamed of. The staff was professional and courteous, and our guests could not stop raving about the gorgeous view, the beautiful venue and the delicious food. They kept asking how we ever found such a perfect spot! In addition, we had a day after brunch at The Essex. This was a nice laid back way to enjoy some additional time with our guests before the weekend ended, and again Shana and her staff were very accommodating in meeting the needs of our budget and our guests. I would highly recommend The Ponds and the staff of The Essex for your special day.

Reviewed on 9/27/2017 Ali M

This review is long overdue and exceedingly well-deserved! Our wedding day was perfect at the Ponds! Nestled in the scenic mountainside of Bolton Valley, the Ponds provides the most secluded, intimate, special place for a wedding. Shana is incredible! She is responsive and works... Read More hard to meet every single want and need for the couple, and for us that was two brides and two bride moms! The food was delicious! The flexibility offered through the talented skillset of the chefs at the culinary resort, allow you to fully design your own menu, which is extremely unique and supportive of all budgets! The staff on the day are attentive and ensure that you have everything you need through the whirlwind! A very important piece of advice that made our weekend even more special and personal, was doing our room block at the Bolton Valley Ski Resort, just a mile up the mountain. With the size of our wedding, we fully booked out the resort, making the mountain completely ours for the weekend! They provided shuttles to and from the venue and gave us the space to host a welcoming party, an after party and offer a plethora of fun and games for our guests including disc golf, volleyball, basketball, hiking, corn hole and much much more! THANK YOU SHANA FOR MAKING OUR DAY PERFECT!

Reviewed on 9/13/2017 Amy B

Our recent wedding at the Essex was amazing! The atrium room is beautiful and the views outside were spectacular. Our wedding coordinator Shana was amazing! From start to finish she was on top of everything! The wedding beyond exceeded our expectations! The food was delicious!... Read More Everyone was raving about the food! Best wedding ever!!!!

Reviewed on 8/23/2017 Michele P

I cannot say enough good things about the essex resort, their entire staff, and specifically their off-site location the ponds, where we had our actual wedding celebration! The venue is absolutely breathtaking (we just got our pictures and they are unreal!) and it doesn't break... Read More the bank compared to what's out there! They provide pretty much everything you need, with the option to make it all your own with flowers and details, which was a huge relief to me, someone planning it from afar! With so many "barn" options in the area, I found the mountain elegance of the ponds so refreshing and a bit of a lighter/happier feeling option which I think really showed in not only the pictures, but the overall amazing time all of our guests had. I'm still hearing from them how beautiful the venue was! The location really speaks for itself as it doesn't get much better in my mind! That all being said, more than anything, it was Emily and her team, making the entire weekend seamless and worry free, that truly made the weekend perfect for us. We had welcome drinks for our guests on Friday night at the Essex Resort, and our ceremony and reception at the ponds on Saturday night, and Emily helped coordinate every detail prior to make sure nothing was missed! She was also there the day of, making sure everything was going according to plan, and helping with those few last minute issues (that always happen!) which was amazingly reassuring to have on the big day! Overall, again, I could not give the venue, and staff, a higher review - they helped make our day truly magical!

Reviewed on 8/13/2017 Elizabeth L

We got married at The Essex this past Sunday, August 6, 2017, and we couldn't have asked for better staff or a better place to celebrate our big day! Both Shana and Emily were MORE than helpful and on top of every little detail throughout the entire wedding planning process... Read More that made everything come together so smoothly and stress-free for us. We would highly recommend this gorgeous Vermont venue to any couple who is looking to have the most memorable day of their life! Elizabeth & Rich

Reviewed on 5/17/2017 Lindsay B

We just had a wedding at the resort and it was wonderful and reasonably priced. We were long distance planning and Shana was super accommodating and helpful. The staff from start to finish were great and always courteous. The only down side was the rain which meant we got... Read More married inside and the carpet was not a great pattern. But we made it work. Also, there is a sound system in most spaces so you can coordinate music without bringing speakers. Vermont is a great place to get married.

Reviewed on 1/18/2017 Megan L

I can't tell you how many people came up to me during our wedding to tell us how great The Essex was as a venue. We had our reception in the Atrium which provided a lovely view for our guests during cocktail hour and the reception. On the day of the wedding, we did not have to... Read More worry about a thing. The Essex team did an amazing job with everything and made it a seamless day! The food was delicious and it was nice that our guests could also stay on site. The planning process was so easy with Shana. She was knowledgeable, responsive, and helped us along the way. I would highly recommend this place to anyone!

Reviewed on 1/10/2017 Alex C

Great experience so far

Reviewed on 12/22/2016 Whitney D

The Essex was an incredible spot to hold both our ceremony and our reception. For our December wedding, the grounds were decorated and beautiful. Shana, the wedding coordinator, made everything seamless and flawless from the beginning. The catering was unbelievable and... Read More reasonably priced. Guests were commenting on how perfect everything was. Shana ensured that everyone was taken care of and made the day enjoyable, relaxing, and fun! We truly had a great experience and look forward to returning for our anniversary and other events!

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Michelle S

Sales and coordinating managers are wonderful. Planning has been stress free thanks to their prompt correspondence with great attention to detail. Not 5 stars because I am disappointed by the overall cleanliness and condition of the facilities.

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Nicole M

Definitely a great place to get married. You'll get an almost all inclusive package. Most photographers and DJs in the area have already worked there in the past and are familiar with the place and the staff. Emily was our wedding coordinator and she was fantastic. Professional.... Read More Flexible. Friendly. Now obviously if you are looking a this place it means you already know it's gorgeous, spacious, quiet and romantic and the location is a big plus. We picked this place in a blink of an eye being stroke by the level of professionalism of Shana and Emily and we weren't disappointed. Sure Emily wasn't always responding within the same day we wrote to her but considering how many weddings they handle over a single week, that's understandable. They were fantastic at setting up the decor following our instructions too. I think the only thing we were disappointed at (you know, the day after, when you reenact everything to see what could have been done differently) was the bridal suit that's kinda old and nasty looking. Do NOT use the hair/make-up salon, the poor girl has no clue what she's doing and you'll look either like a prostitute or a 15 yo who stole her mom makeup bag.

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Stephanie L

We had the wedding of our dreams at the Essex Resort on August 5, 2016. The grounds are beautiful and are the perfect backdrop for wedding photos. Shana coordinated our reception in the Atrium. In the months leading up to the wedding she was always available to answer our... Read More questions and help with anything we needed. We are so grateful for her flexibility working within our budget and accommodating our needs. She is incredibly creative and went above and beyond to help us bring our ideas to life. She set up the room beautifully and we didn’t have to worry about anything on our wedding day. We had a few minor hiccups and even though they weren’t related to the Essex Resort and she stepped in to remedy them for us without hesitation. We truly felt that she had all the details under control and we could relax and enjoy our special day in the company of our guests. We were also pleased at how well she worked with our other vendors. It was clear to us that she has an outstanding rapport with the other vendors. And, of course, the food was exceptional at the Essex Resort. They were also very accommodating to our guests with food allergies. We are truly grateful to Shana and the Essex Resort and we highly recommend the Essex Resort and Spa. -Stephanie & Patrick

Reviewed on 9/07/2016 Amy L

Thanks to the extraordinary service provided by the team at The Essex combined with the picturesque setting and ambiance we had the wedding of our dreams! We would not have changed a single thing and our wedding guests have done nothing but rave about the event. We would... Read More absolutely recommend The Essex as a wedding venue. Thanks so much to Emily, Shana and the entire team at The Essex for coordinating our perfect wedding day dream!

Reviewed on 9/05/2016 Jenifer O

Our wedding was this past July at the Essex and it was an amazing time. We had a whole wedding weekend with a welcome party, reception (at The Ponds at Bolton Valley), after party in the Tavern and breakfast brunch the day after. Our coordinator was Shana and she helped us... Read More plan the whole weekend. We don't live in Vermont so it was so special to have events for our guests over the full weekend. Shana was very laid back and was easy to work with always helping us decide what would be best with every event making it special. Being a culinary resort, the food was amazing and the staff was so friendly and helpful. The Ponds for a wedding reception is so picturesque and a great Vermont venue. We can't wait to go back to The Essex for future anniversaries!

Reviewed on 8/29/2016 Sarah S

The Essex Resort & Spa exceeded our hopes and dreams for the wedding. The food was delicious and the staff was very responsive. They really paid attention to the little details, and made the day exactly what we wanted. The atrium was beautiful. It was amazing!

Reviewed on 8/18/2016 Jennifer S

Having our wedding at the Essex was a dream come true. Shana, our wedding planner, was with us every step of the way and did a fabulous job. We had our ceremony at a church in Essex Junction, and the reception at the Ponds. If you know about the Essex but aren't aware of the... Read More Ponds, look it up. It's the perfect Vermont setting, overlooking a pond (note the name), with white twinkle lights on the porch, tons of flowers, a big rustic interior and gorgeous fireplace. It's everything I wanted in our Vermont wedding. The food was fantastic, and the venue itself is so picturesque you don't need huge decorations to make it look nice. It has so much charm that you and your guests will be blown away. We had our guests stay at the Essex and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. We were even able to stay within our budget by booking our wedding on a Sunday, rather than a Saturday. There's lots of options they offer so you can stay within your price range and still have the wedding of your dreams. Trust me, we did! :)

Reviewed on 5/17/2016 Allysa H

My husband and I had always wanted to have our wedding at The Ponds, but were unsure if we would ever be able to afford the venue. After looking into some other venues, we still could not stop thinking about The Ponds and decided to go ahead and inquire. We immediately heard... Read More back from Shana Farer-Feld who informed us that they were more than willing to work with our budget so that we could have the wedding of our dreams, at the venue we felt was the perfect fit. Shana was with us every step of the way. She was very attentive to our needs and responded in a timely manner whenever we contacted her. Living out of state while planning a Vermont wedding had its challenges, but Shana made the process so smooth and I always felt that we were in good hands. Even when things didn’t go exactly as planned, I felt at ease knowing Shana and her team were there to support us. Overall, this venue is breathtaking with an amazing view of the Vermont Mountains. We had our ceremony outside next to the pond and the scenery was so beautiful. The space inside for the reception was perfect for an intimate wedding and its beauty is truly unmatched. I cannot praise Shana and The Essex staff enough. The food and beverage service was superb and all our guests commented on how wonderful the staff made them feel. Special shout out to Deb who is an absolute gem; she took care of us the whole night and was truly one of the nicest people we have ever met. The food was delicious and our cake was exactly what we had wanted. Shana and The Essex helped us to create the most perfect wedding day. We could not have asked for anything better. We highly recommend The Essex and their services, as well as The Ponds as a venue.

Reviewed on 4/04/2016 Avery D

Dream Come True! We had our eye on the Essex and The Ponds long before we even got engaged. We were unsure if it was something we could afford , we decided to splurg on it and we were NOT disappointed at all!! Our vision for what we wanted our wedding to be really came to... Read More life and we had the PERFECT WEDDING DAY! The Essex and their team really get an A+ in so many different categories! We decided to have our wedding at THe Ponds and have our guests stay at the Essex Resort and EVERYONE absolutely loved it!! The resort is pet friendly so we were so happy that our dog could stay with us and be part of our big day! All of our guest loved the hotel and all the amenities , from the pools, spa, golf, cooking classes and of course the hotels 2 restaurants ! The food is of course amazing, and they did not disappoint at the wedding either. Most people commented that it was one of the best if not the best meals they have ever had at a wedding. Our cupcakes were also delicious and a huge highlight of the day for everyone! Our wedding day was everything that we have ever dreamed of and it was all due to the hard work of the Essex staff and especially the wedding coordinator Shana! She was a joy to work with and stopped at absolutely nothing to make sure that everything is exactly how you want it to be! We honestly can not recommend this Resort enough to newly engaged couples! They made our wedding dreams come try and they will with out doubt do the same for you!

Reviewed on 12/29/2015

This is a great place to have a wedding reception. They catered to our every need, including ice sculptures and an intimate family style seating arrangement. It was also great to have a wedding coordinator to think of everything we forgot and ensure the day of goes smoothly.... Read More Overall, the entire staff, venue, and flexibility are unmatched. It also helps that they have an amazing culinary team that put together a meal that will impress anyone!

Reviewed on 10/25/2015

My daughter and her fiance had their wedding at the Inn last week. Shana was wonderful, professional, and very helpful. The staff provided excellent service. The food was excellent. Very pleased, a wonderful weekend!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Averi L

We had the Essex cater our wedding at an offsite venue (the Barn at Boyden Farm). They provided cocktail hour, dinner, dessert, and our bar service. They exceeded all of our expectations. The food was phenomenal and the service was impeccable. They worked with us to create the... Read More exact menu we wanted (including some unique items such as cider doughnuts for our guests pre-ceremony) and everything was executed perfectly. They were also able to include two signature drinks for us that had several hard-to-find ingredients. We were very happy that they were able to provide so many services for us. It was much easier than having to work with several different vendors. They were very responsive and accommodating. We really can't say enough good things about the Essex. They were wonderful to work with and really went above and beyond!

Reviewed on 8/20/2015

We just got married here 3 weeks ago. The reason we chose this place was because of the excellent customer service. Shana and Emily were awesome! Everyone is so nice and we will be returning often.