NY / NJ Award winning wedding & event caterer

Engagements, rehearsal dinners, even the big event itself. The Fruited Plain caters all of these events with food that is as sophisticated–or as simple–as you want. Whether your perfect day is a barbecue for 100 or a vegetarian dinner for 25, The Fruited Plain can create a menu that fits. Our trained service staff will make your event worry free.

Cuisine

Cajun, Hawaiian, Northeastern, Southern, Southwestern, American, Chinese, Eastern European, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin American, Mexican, Middle Eastern, BBQ, Seafood, Specialty

Dietary Options

Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Organic, Sugar Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

PO BOX 678, Pine Brook, NJ (973) 808-8862

Reviewed on 10/14/2015

Our family pretty much revolves around the kitchen table and the meals we enjoy preparing together. So, when our daughter got engaged, we thought, backyard wedding. Keep it simple. We'll make the food, she'll bake her cake. As the guest list began to grow and we realized our... Read More future son-in-law's family had a very different idea of what the wedding "should be" we had to rethink this. A lot of compromises were going to have to be made, but one was not going to be on the quality of the food. After reading reviews about the Fruited Plain, I had a feeling Drew might be our perfect solution. He was easy to talk to and really listened to my daughter, we both felt at ease right away. From the first tasting he showed us how much he cares about his family, his business, the quality of ingredients and the preparation and presentation of his dishes; we were sold. Everything was delicious and beautiful. We thought deciding on the menu was all that remained. Not so. The groom's family wanted a formal sit down dinner and my daughter had a much more informal vision yet definitely didn't want a buffet. Drew suggested serving "Family Style" which worked beautifully. Guests passed the serving dishes around the table and I believe this actually facilitated conversation. When or if a platter needed refilling, Drew's staff was at the ready to take care of it. Drew, his wife Rosemary and their staff were attentive, courteous and professional, wonderful to work with. It has been two months and I am still getting compliments about the food and how it was served. I highly recommend serving family style at your next event and entrusting The Fruited Plain Caterers to it. I know I will.

2016-10-13T10:46:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! It was great being there.

Reviewed on 10/13/2015

Choosing The Fruited Plain as my caterer for my wedding was one of the best decisions I could have ever made. I would definitely recommend their services for anyone who is looking for not only a job well done but also staff and services who go above and beyond. At first meeting... Read More with the operations manager, Drew I was nervous he wouldn't like the venue because we were getting married at a camp and it is very rustic. Upon seeing the site, he was nothing but positive and said he was so excited! It made me feel so great knowing he had no worries and had such confidence. We met several times and he was always there via email or phone if I needed to change something last minute or add something. When it came time for the wedding day, I showed up and was blown away by the execution of everything. Not only did they do everything I asked but they did more! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The entire day was a dream come true, the food was excellent, and all the guests exclaimed how much they loved the food. People said they went up for seconds the food was so great!

2015-10-13T21:28:48 Response from the vendor

Molly, The moment you told me your story of how you met, I was sold. Life guard and camp counselor gets married at their camp! Loved being part of it. Thank you.

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Jamie G

Drew and his staff were exceptional!! We used the Fruited Plain for our wedding at the Glen Ridge Women's Club. The guests were very impressed with the hor d'oeuvres and cocktail hour. They loved the choices in the buffet dinner and everything was delicious! Drew was so... Read More helpful with setting up and carrying out a beautiful reception! His staff made sure everyone was taken care of and we appreciated the flexibility to accommodate vegan guests. We lo0k forward to using the Fruited Plain for future events!

Reviewed on 11/01/2016 Jonettee B

From the beginning Drew and his staff were so friendly and a pleasure to work with. Our menu was simple, but the presentation was amazing. Everyone raved how special the event was thanks to Fruited Plain. Jonettee B.

Reviewed on 10/31/2016

The Fruited Plain was a wonderful experience from the time we met with Drew til the party was over. Everyone raved about the food and the staff. They made our day special and worry free. Thank you Drew and the staff at the Fruited Plain.

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Jacqueline

Amazing experience from start to finish! Drew was so comfortable to work with and helped us design a delicious menu perfectly tailored to my family and friends. Even the "late in the game" changes were not a problem for The Fruited Plain. The staff were professional and... Read More genuinely happy to be a part of our special day. Thank you to Drew and his terrific staff for making our day the absolute best. Jacqueline D. Montclair, NJ

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Alyssa J

A fabulous luncheon was prepared by The Fruited Plain for my niece and her fiancee. The event was flawless. The staff was friendly and professional. Now for the food, everyone and I mean everyone kept coming up to my husband and me to let us know how delicious the food was! I... Read More have another niece right behind her and three boys of my own. But I am not going to wait. I have booked their services for our surprise Anniversary Party for my Mom & Dad. Thank you again!

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Lauren Z

Drew and the staff of The Fruited Plain made our wedding so amazing and unique. In a world of pasta and chicken buffet events, The Fruited Plain makes incredibly delicious and diverse cuisine that leaves you having dreams about food. My husband and I had an incredible repertoire... Read More of hors d'oeuvres, a delicious and exotic Hawaiian buffet, and a dessert bar complete with hot chocolate whiskey shots that Drew (the owner/chef) concocted himself especially for us, and our guests are still raving about it all! My only regret of the evening was wearing a tight wedding dress which deeply restricted the amount of pork buns I could eat during cocktail hour! The Fruited Plain is extremely accommodating, flexible, responsive, and creative. Drew's passion for his work really shone through in the form of how amazing and customized our event was. I recommend The Fruited Plain to anyone in need of event catering, and please invite me so that I may eat the food. THANKS DREW!! -Lauren & Bobby

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Lauren G

The Fruited Plain catered my shower in my friend's home in Brooklyn, NY and everything was amazing, I just need to write in a review and spread the word to all. The food was delicious and the presentation was beautiful. They over delivered on everything and definitely exceeded... Read More my expectations. They were organized, professional, courteous and just a pleasure to work with. I HIGHLY recommend them to cater any type of party or wedding in the future.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Doreen N

Drew and his team are all amazing! They are so kind, friendly, personable and really care about making your experience a good one. We heard rave reviews from our guests about the food and about the team in general. The Eggplant Rollatini was an especially big hit. We didn't... Read More serve any meat at our wedding (we had one fish dish) and no one seemed to miss it! Drew even went out of his way to make three vegan meals for me and a couple of guests. Big wins for the environment and the animals <3 The bartenders were also fantastic and we heard wonderful things about our specialty cocktails. Would 100% recommend The Fruited Plain and would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed on 9/28/2016 Allie C

Drew and his team were amazing. We had a little bit of a corky menu and they nailed it to perfection. We even did it family style and the servings were plentiful, with multiple refills! The staff is great. Drew is super helpful with recommendations and any logistical stuff. He... Read More even had creative ideas for our doughnut display. You will not be disappointed on your big day.

2016-10-13T09:37:36 Response from the vendor

First of all, I loved your venue choice. The conservatory at the Sussex County Fair Grounds is fabulous. They are always making improvements and its always a fun time. Your menu was perfect for you! Loved the sweet potato fries and the baskets we served... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 9/28/2016 Jen J

The Fruited Plain catered my wedding and did a spectacular job! The food looked beautiful and tasted delicious! The passed hors d'oeuvres are still the best I've ever had at any event I've attended. And the main course was so good I made sure to sit and eat the whole thing,... Read More which as the bride can be challenging to find time for amidst the festivities. Everything was as we had planned in our meetings and tastings prior to the wedding day! Drew, the staff, and servers were friendly, helpful, and professional making our event run smoothly with very happy wedding guests (and of course bride and groom!). All of my guests have been raving about the food and service at my wedding and I have very happily told them all about The Fruited Plain and it's awesome staff! Thanks so much for helping to make our special day perfect!

2016-10-13T09:42:13 Response from the vendor

Jen, you guys are so creative and artsy! I never knew! Your thoughtfulness with creating a great atmosphere was amazing. Your family and friends were so nice and I know my staff and I really enjoyed being there for you! Thank you for the games... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 7/26/2016 Keira C

The Fruited Plain was one of four approved caterers for our venue on Manhattan's Upper East Side. We talked to people from all four, and found Drew of the Fruited Plain to be by far the most agreeable, both in terms of price and service. The Fruited Plain did a fantastic job in... Read More every respect. The hors d'oeuvres were great, the bar service was great, the meals were great, the wait staff were great. Drew and his people drew raves from many of our guests -- the hors d'oeuvres were a particular hit -- and contributed tremendously to our wedding's success.

2016-10-13T09:45:14 Response from the vendor

Thank you! We love The Pratt Mansion. You had a beautiful dress and a perfect weather day in NYC! Hope to see you guys again.

Reviewed on 10/31/2015

The skies opened up and the rain poured down on us all day for our backyard wedding, but it didn't matter! We were under the tent with family and close friends while Drew and his professional staff at the Fruited Plain made our wedding the most memorable day of our new lives... Read More together. From the moment Drew arrived early in the afternoon, decisions were made with cool and calm as the skies threatened and the weather reports of rain were made real. This fast became a torrential downpour that lasted all evening. No longer out of the tent seating! Without missing a beat, Drew's team reorganized the tables under the tent and made it seem as if this was the plan all along. It became the start of an intimate gathering, where every person under that tent forgot about the downpour and became part of a beautiful ceremony and fun filled evening, all thanks to Drew and his staff. We were awestruck at the way they attended to everyone’s needs, while delivering and serving the best prepared food we’ve ever tasted outside of an actual restaurant. The Fruited Plain made our vegetarian/vegan wedding a reality, without making any one of our guests wonder “where’s the beef!” Compliments abounded from almost every person there that evening. We heard over and over again how wonderful the staff was as the rain poured down. We will never forget their cheerfulness as they went about their work. They truly are an incredible team. Drew, shepherded us through the weeks prior to the wedding. He was an absolute delight to work. From our initial tasting at his café, to working with the rental company, to the setup and execution the day of the event, no detail was missed. He was the calm at the center of the storm (literally and figuratively!). The Fruited Plain made our wedding a magical event! We recommend them wholeheartedly.

2016-10-13T09:46:17 Response from the vendor

No one ever believes me when I say that some of the best events we do happen when it rains. I have a really tight crew. We prosper in adverse conditions or with logistical situations. Loved being there! Thank you

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Alison W

We enjoyed working with Drew & The Fruited Plain for our 150 guest wedding in September 2015. There were many pros to working with TFP, including: Food - Simply amazing, quickly refilled & plentiful. Our guests raved about apps including bacon wrapped scallops, baby lamb... Read More chops, etc. Drew also whipped up a chicken entrée off-menu sight unseen (a maple-glazed chicken breast). Tastings – Drew came to our home and offered free tastings of a large quantity of hors d’oeuvres so we could get a feel for the quality and variety of foods TFP offersoffers & accommodated an additional full tasting once we booked with TFP for a very reasonable upcharge. Responsiveness & Planning - Drew was incredibly responsive, patient & helpful throughout the planning process. Staff – Professional dress & attitudes. The servers and kitchen staff all worked diligently throughout the wedding. We were very happy with the (1) chef, (2) kitchen staff, (7) serving staff & (3) bartenders. Unfortunately, there were also some challenges we faced, such as: Rentals – The quality of the rentals from the suggested vendor, A Party Center in Fairfield were not “wedding appropriate,” but more “backyard BBQ” since everything was extremely well used & scuffed. Several white ceremony chairs were uncleaned from a prior event & a few items were broken or missing. Unfortunately, when the rentals arrived, the catering staff was not able to be there to coordinate receipt so it was assumed that we, the clients, would be responsible for the missing items as if we lost them during our event! The damage bill, included the missing items but was < $100, which was not that high, and the caterer ended up being comping us for it, but the fact remains that this process was very disappointing. Final Invoice Calculation/Service Timing – The final invoice that we received 8 days prior to the wedding included a significant upcharge on service costs from the original quote we had a year prior, a jump of approximately 30% more on the service. This was a pretty big change late in the game and threw us off. The set up time had been miscalculated originally. We were able to renegotiate to the original plan, but as a result, we needed to set up the entire venue the day prior ourselves instead to avoid the charge, which was a significant undertaking. Our venue also had strict rules for clean-up to avoid fees, which TFP was familiar with having catered here previously. We assume that the breakdown time was also miscalculated, since all of the catering staff left promptly at 11pm without completing the cleanup. This left us to finish cleaning that night, remove 150 chairs from upstairs, remove glassware, empty garbages etc. This was surprising given a staff of 13 started cleaning hours prior. Dessert – We had a dozen or so specialty cakes made up to be displayed with a desert wine & cordial bar, however, the waiters were absent (probably starting on clean up) so a bartender was forced to leave the bar & bring out the cakes. The cakes were never sliced, many liqueurs did not make it out to the dessert area, and none of the specialty glassware was provided for serving the drinks. A large line queued up as a result, which is not what we wanted. Overall, we and our guests had a blast, and TFP was a very large part of making our special day so special. We would just caution other DIY/budget-conscious couples that there can be pitfalls in the process!

2016-10-13T10:43:13 Response from the vendor

The Fruited Plain is probably one of the only catering companies to want to say yes to all of your needs. bringing in own foods, letting grandmas cookies be displayed, letting clients do there own rentals, beverage, setup ect. Yes, when planning an event and... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Kristina A

From start to finish, our experience with the Fruited Plain caterers was nothing short of outstanding. Up until a month before the wedding my wife and I did not have a car and Drew worked hard, via visits to us, and phone conversations to iron out all the details for the... Read More wedding. He was very flexible about the food options, even helping us design specific vegetarian dishes for our wedding. As the date came closer, Drew kept in contact and was very accommodating with regards to the last minute organizational changes we needed to make. The food was great, the staff he brought it was courteous, helpful and hard working. I would not hesitate to recommend The Fruited Plain for catering. The only issues I had is not enough time to eat all the great food! You cannot go wrong with The Fruited Plain Caterers!

Reviewed on 10/22/2015

We could not have chosen a better group than the Fruited Plain to cater our wedding. Everything from the charming and professional staff to the unbelievably delicious food and service was far beyond anything in our wildest dreams. We are beyond grateful for their wonderful... Read More service and for making our wedding an unforgettable success. I would easily recommend The Fruited Plain for any catered event.

Reviewed on 10/16/2015 Danielle

Excellent experience! We selected the Fruited Plain more than a year before the wedding. Before signing, we had the opportunity to taste a selection of food for the cocktail hour. We had many email exchanges, phone calls, meet ups, between the tasting and the wedding day to... Read More determine the rentals, the exact menu, plus in our case the breakfast menu. We were able to personalize the menu as much as we wanted. Thanks for everything!

Reviewed on 10/11/2015 Sarah M

The Fruited Plain catered my wedding and we were very happy with their service. We were referred to the Fruited Plain by our venue. The manager said not only had The Fruited Plan catered a number of events at the venue, but several of the people who worked there had hired The... Read More Fruited Plain for personal events. For the wedding, we had to please meat eaters, vegetarian and vegans in our family. Drew was very flexible when it came to the menu, and he went out of his way to come up with recipes for vegan versions of his mashed potatoes and several other dishes, I also rented all the table service from The Fruited Plain, and the staff set the tables, put up our centerpieces and cleared the tables at the end of the evening, which was a big help. Everyone loved the food and the service was thorough and professional.

Reviewed on 10/08/2015

I was delighted with Fruited Plain caterers. They are fantastic! The food was absolutely delicious and beautifully presented. So many of my guests remarked how much they liked the meal. Drew and all the staff went out of their way to make our event special. Drew made... Read More helpful suggestions during the planning, and helped me to find delicious substitutions for some of my guests with food allergies. I was really able to enjoy the day so much more, because I had no concern about the meal and its presentation. I highly recommend the Fruited Plain. They are the best!

Reviewed on 9/14/2015 J G

Drew Gabbe and his crew catered my daughter's wedding this past weekend. From the hors-d'oeuvres at cocktail hour through the main meal and dessert the food was out of this world. Many compliments from our guests. The food preparers, bartenders and wait staff were pleasant,... Read More courteous and went out of their way to make the whole event memorable. The wedding and reception were held at a very rustic children's summer camp which was a challenge for this caterer. But, they pulled it off effortlessly.

Reviewed on 7/08/2015

My daughter's wedding included guests from several different countries. The Fruited Plain listened carefully to our requests for Indian appetizers and entrees in addition to more traditional foods. They created a menu that was perfect! All of our guests loved the innovation,... Read More authenticity and quality of the food. An extra challenge, we asked for fruit pies for dessert instead of the traditional wedding cake. They were a hit! I highly recommend The Fruited Plain.

Reviewed on 6/07/2015 Camille H

We had Drew and his team cater our rustic factory wedding over Memorial Day weekend. We cannot recommend Drew enough!!! He helped us through every step of planning and coordinating the food and rentals for our wedding. Because of the unique space, everything (down the lights!)... Read More had to be brought in. Not only did Drew help make this process simple, but he did so with professionalism, ease and executed an amazing evening. Drew worked with our budget and requests (and we had a lot of annoying requests!!) to create the perfect menu, suited to the space and feel we were looking for. The food was absolutely fantastic, the presentation was elegant, and service outstanding. Without Drew's expertise, flexibility, and talent, or wedding would not have been the same! Whatever type of wedding or event you are looking to create, Drew and his team will go above and beyond to make it an amazing experience for you and your guests!

These guys are great!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Gary M

Unreliable vendors were one of our biggest headaches. But thank god for Drew and his team. They were just brilliant. Not only was he great through all the planning process, he was patient with our changes and our back and forwards. AND THE FOOD WAS AMAZING! Everyone loved it!... Read More Which was important to us. We've all be to the that wedding where everyone was whispering in the background about how bad the food was. But people wouldn't shut up about our food. And his team was just so great. They took care of our needs before we even realized we had them. We also went over time a bit and they stayed a little extra with us to make sure we were taken cared off. All this for a very reasonable price. We are love these guys, and can't recommend them enough.We are just so grateful to them for making our day so special. Oh and make sure you take advantage of his tastings!!! FUN TIMES!

Look no further!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Heather T

Drew and his staff were fantastic! All of our guests absolutely loved the food.. it's been just about three weeks since the wedding and we are STILL hearing about how delicious the food was! The Fruited Plain was a dream to work with.....they are friendly, professional,... Read More and reliable! From day one, Drew told me that they would take care of anything we needed.. and they really did take care of EVERYTHING that we needed. We will definitely use them again for any future catering needs!