The Powelton Club

Newburgh, NY

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Powelton Club, one of the oldest golf and tennis clubs in America, is located in the heart of the Hudson Valley in historic Newburgh, New York, about 50 miles north of New York City. The 100-acre, private country club, established in 1882, is situated on the Hudson River's western shore where it offers a great view toward the Hudson Highlands. The Powelton Club hosts wedding celebrations, specializing in weddings that include the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception. Couples are welcome to have their ceremony on the well-manicured lawn, exchanging vows in front of a flower-adorned twig arbor and then join their guests on the pool deck to enjoy cocktails.

The Dining Room, with neutral-colored carpets and walls that easily fit any wedding theme, has a movable wooden dance floor. The fireplace area includes living room furniture designed to make guests feel at home. Guests can also relax around the bar and gaze out the windows to view the golf course and pool deck. A player piano is available for a song dedication or cocktail hour music. Couples complete the elegant, homey look with one of a variety of complimentary floor-length linens and cloth napkins as well as table centerpieces and decorations supplied by an outside vendor.

The Powelton Club caters one event at a time and therefore, guarantees that a couple's wedding will be the only one on the property on their chosen day. The club's culinary team graduated from the Culinary Institute of America. Couples work with the executive chef to customize diverse wedding menu options, which include butler and station hors d’oeuvres to fit the couple's style.

Chosen menu items are then created from fresh and local ingredients. The Powelton Club offers everything from traditional plated dinners to cocktail receptions. Couples may choose a Viennese table, chocolate fountain or ice cream sundae bar as their dessert in place of the traditional wedding cake.

Couples are welcome to take wedding photos anywhere around the golf course, tennis courts, balcony, pool deck and surrounding picturesque landscapes that include fountains and lush greenery. A different backdrop is created with the change of seasons. The Powelton Club offers wedding packages that include:

• Wedding planning services
  • Champagne toast and signature cocktail
  • Table linens, votive candles, tables and chairs
  • Specific server assigned to the bride and groom throughout the reception
  • Bridal suite

The Powelton Club offers amenities including:

• A Devereux Emmet designed 18-hole golf course
  • Five American red clay tennis courts
  • Two swimming pools
  • A clubhouse

First Class Hospitality ~ Exclusive Events

We are a private country club with a reputation for breathtaking weddings. We cater one event at a time ensuring you receive first class service during your day. Our Chefs customize your menu to fit you. The Event Coordinator is available throughout the planning process and on your wedding day.

Ballroom, Country Club

29 Balmville Road, Newburgh, NY (845) 561-4481

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Amanda F

I wish there was an option to give more than 5 stars. On Saturday, my husband Tim and I got married. We had our wedding reception at the Powelton Club. Today, we both keep saying how the Powelton Club exceeded our expectations and helped to make our wedding better than we could... Read More have ever dreamed of. Rebecca and Chris are amazing. They work with you, have fantastic ideas, and execute events that are perfect. Tim and I truly had the perfect day. I have already had numerous guests reach out to me to tell me that our wedding was the best that they have ever been to. The food was impeccable. The ambiance was incredible. The night was the best night of my entire life!

2016-12-15T12:48:33 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your amazing review! It was an absolute pleasure working with you and your families. We with you a very happy future together!!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Joanna M

My husband and I were married at the Powelton Club in August 2016. Our wedding day was EVERYTHING I imagined and more. The venue is absolutely stunning and the club was closed for the afternoon and night for our use only. My husband and I took pictures outside and inside the... Read More club before our ceremony for about two hours. We just received our photos back from our photographer and The Powelton Club created a beautiful setting for all our photographs. We had our ceremony on the 4th hole of the golf course. It was intimate and beautiful. Our cocktail hour was held by the pool, but guests had the luxury of staying outside or moving inside for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. The food at dinner was phenomenal and the reception was absolutely perfect. Everything I had planned happened perfectly and exactly the way I wanted it. Chris is an excellent manager and helped make the night run smoothly. However, it was Rebecca, the Powelton Club's event coordinator, that made this day exactly what I had envisioned. Rebecca met with us numerous times throughout the planing process and was always available if I had any questions or concerns. Rebecca is excellent at her profession and made planning our wedding stress free. Ever since our wedding, guests are constantly complimenting us for how wonderful the night was. I highly recommend The Powelton Club for a wedding. The food and service are impeccable.

2016-10-11T11:17:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was an absolute pleasure working with you to plan such an important day in your lives. We can't wait to see the pictures!

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Lori F

BEYOND OUR DREAMS! Our wedding was a magical day filled with love, joy and sheer elegance thanks to the Powelton Club. The magnificent oak tree on the 4th hole served as the breathtaking background that would begin our married life together. The food was exquisite - an... Read More elegant cocktail hour, followed by stations of sushi, a raw bar, filet, salmon, pasta galore, a chocolate fountain, candy bar, popcorn station. Rebecca and Chris went above and beyond include a surprise flash mob for the bride (coordinated by the bride's sister)! Even with daunting rain clouds, the Powelton Club had all hands on deck and worked to make our dreams come true! I cannot recommend them enough... truly, the best place ever!

2016-07-05T12:01:30 Response from the vendor

It was an absolute pleasure working with you both! We're so thrilled you enjoyed your wedding day. Thank you for such wonderful words!!

Reviewed on 3/06/2017 Matteo D

My wife and I were married on December 30, 2016. The Powelton Club was a perfect venue for a winter wedding. It was beautifully decorated making the pictures perfect. Rebecca and her staff were professional and caring. As the planner, Rebecca was there for us each step of the... Read More way. She helped with every detail and she made sure we were happy. We felt at home. We decided on having a variety of choices for the cocktail hour and stations for the reception. Our guests are still commenting on how delicious the food was and how great of a time they had. We are so happy to recommend the Powelton to anyone without hesitation. We will never forget our wedding.

Reviewed on 12/30/2016 Jill c

We had 5 weeks to prepare for my daughters wedding to her fiance who has time constraints because he is in the Marine Corp.. Rebecca .. the event coordinator and Chris the general manager did everything they could to help us plan the most beautiful wedding! The venue is... Read More absolutely stunning.. the food superb.. and the service impeccable. !! You cant go wrong holding any event at the powelton! I would recommend it to anyone! You will NOT be disappointed!!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Timothy K

My wife Amanda and I had the best time we could have imagined. Rebecca, Chris, and the entire staff from the kitchen to the waiters and the bartenders were outstanding. All of our guests have and continue to tell us what a great reception it was and how it was the best... Read More cocktail hour they have been to. Thanks again to all of the people who made my wife's big day everything she imagined and then some!

2016-12-15T12:49:17 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!! It was amazing working with you both. We hope to work with you again!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Stephanie N

We absolutely loved the powelton club. Everything was just perfect. Our guests kept complimenting the venue and the food. Rebecca was the best.

2016-12-15T12:49:37 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 william f

My daughter was married this past Saturday and could not ask for more. Chris and Rebecca were phenomenal. They catered to everybody and the food was just impeccable. I highly recommend this to anyone who is getting married. I have never been to such a great place

2016-12-15T12:50:08 Response from the vendor

It was an absolute pleasure working with everyone! Thank you so much for your wonderful review!!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 David T

As a groom, having our event at the Powelton club was an easy choice. My wife and I were very pleased with how prompt and professional Rebecca and Chris were with our planning and event from start to finish. The Powelton club is always extremely professional and welcoming. In... Read More addition, the facility and grounds are always kept in the most immaculate of conditions. Rebecca was very patient and kind throughout the whole experience and extremely accommodation, making our time stress-free. Our event went perfectly thanks to her, with many guests stating it was the best wedding they had ever been to. We wouldn't hesitate to hold another event there (excluding a wedding). It was a magical evening that will be remembered for the rest of our lives and we couldn't be happier.

2016-12-15T12:53:09 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! You were a pleasure to work with. We hope to see everyone soon!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Lisa G

Thank you so much Rebecca & Chris! Having a beautiful venue full of old world charm & elegance is wonderful - but you need the perfect people there to oversee an affair. You two & your staff far exceeded our expectations for our daughter's wedding on October 15, 2016. Rebecca,... Read More we couldn't imagine a more perfect wedding planner. You are more than competent, very professional, and warm all at the same time. You put us at ease the moment we met you. What a gem! Chris, you and your staff never missed a beat. We appreciated your special attention to each of our guests, the beautiful presentation of the food, and just how delicious everything was that you served. We felt that Dana & David's reception was perfect in every way because of you two. We could not have been happier and we look forward to recommending you and the Powelton club to everyone. Thank you again!

2016-12-15T12:53:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!! It was amazing working with you and your families. We hope to see everyone soon!

Reviewed on 10/23/2016 Bonnie G

Great experience with the Powelton club as our venue - their event planner Rebecca is absolutely great to work with - she is not your wedding planner, but with all the help and guidance she gives she helps like a planner would -everyone raved about the food - don't fill up on... Read More the delicious hor d'oeuvres or you will miss out on an amazing dinner - service was great from the bartenders to the wait staff and attendants - we would certainly recommend the Powelton to anyone - great experience

2016-12-15T12:55:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you! It was a pleasure working with you both!

Reviewed on 10/22/2016 Amy G

My husband and I had our wedding and reception at the Powelton Club and it was such an amazing day. The ceremony was inside in front of the fireplace (plan b because of the weather) and it was still more beautiful than I could have imagined. The staff was awesome and made sure... Read More we didn't have to worry about a single thing on our big day. The chef was accommodating to my gluten free diet and made the entire menu to fit my needs which saved me from a lot of stress. Overall a great experience and a wonderful venue!

2016-12-15T12:56:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! We're so glad you enjoyed your day. It was a pleasure working with you!

Reviewed on 7/03/2016

My husband and I were married for a year before we decided to have a traditional wedding celebration at the Powelton Club. The historic decor and bright windows in the upstairs ballroom was perfect for our wedding number on a beautiful June evening. During the wedding planning... Read More process, we needed a lot of help. We are both college students and at the time I was pregnant with our son. Rebecca, the events coordinator at the club, was absolutely amazing. She was efficient, organized, knowledgeable, and guided us through the evening because we were unable to have a rehearsal. Planning a wedding, working towards graduation, and expecting a baby all at was seemed impossible, so Rebecca was able to work directly with our vendors so we didn't have to worry. And because we were already married, we were able to omit certain things from our ceremony and reception, completely personalizing it to our liking. Overall, this was the best decision we made when it came to our wedding. Powelton is beautiful, Rebecca was perfection, and the service was amazing through the entire process. I would recommend this venue to anyone who wants a perfect wedding day with no fuss!

2016-07-05T12:03:00 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words!! It was a pleasure working with you both to make your wedding exactly what you wanted it to be!

Reviewed on 5/14/2016

Rebecca and staff did an excellent job with the details of our wedding. The food and service were top notch, and they went out of their way to make sure everything was what we wanted.

2016-12-15T12:57:01 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! We hope to see everyone soon!

Powelton Club

Reviewed on 10/18/2015

We had a wonderful wedding at the Powelton Club! The venue is beautiful, the staff are easy to work with and very accommodating, and the food was delicious. We've heard nothing but compliments from all of our guests. We couldn't have imagined a better wedding!

Impeccable

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Jo H

We had both our wedding ceremony and reception at the Powelton Club in June, 2015, and we couldn’t be happier with how the Club prepared for and conducted our wedding. Rebecca Caldarella, the event coordinator at the Club, walked us through every step of the process with... Read More professionalism, efficiency and ease. She is very organized and on top of things, made fantastic suggestions for both how to conduct the ceremony as well as decorating/designing the reception areas, and was incredibly encouraging and supportive throughout the entire process. Chris Diesing, the manager of the Club, is also extremely professional, easy to work with and worked hard to ensure that our menu selections were perfect. He accommodated dietary restrictions, worked with us on putting together a custom menu, and made sure every aspect of the menu was exactly perfect. The wait staff is impeccable! Each course was served right on time and expertly handled. We even had our own attendant who took care of only my wife and I throughout the entire day making sure we always had water/drinks, got to sample some of the hors d’oeuvres in between pictures, and helped to ensure we knew when to sit down so we could enjoy our dinner. So many of our family and friends have told us how it was “the best wedding they’ve ever been to” because they were so impressed with: the service; the quality, presentation and taste of the food; and the general atmosphere of the Powelton Club. We aren’t members of the Club and, in fact, had not even eaten there prior to selecting it as our wedding venue, however, it was the best wedding decision we made. I highly recommend this venue and gladly, and without reservation, give it 5 stars!

Cocktail Party Wedding -- The Powelton Club

Reviewed on 10/15/2015

Fantastic! Bravo to the Wedding Coordinator (Rebecca) & Wait Staff on their impeccable service and attention to detail. Our Wedding was a Cocktail Party -- and the Open Bar was top notch, not to mention the Appetizers, which were delicious and elegantly displayed. The decor was... Read More simple and tasteful, and the space was warm and friendly. All my guests agreed! In short, my husband and I were very, very impressed! Having lived in the Hudson Valley for many years, I would rate The Powelton Club within the Top 5 places to have your Wedding in New York!

October wedding

Reviewed on 10/13/2015

This is an absolutely beautiful venue! The event coordinator was very helpful and supportive throughout the planning process and right up to the final minutes. Everything was organized and well-planned.The service from the waitstaff was fantastic. The food was delicious, and... Read More many guests said it was the best they had ever had at a wedding. The price was very reasonable and well worth it.

Known for Excellence and Elegance!

Reviewed on 10/03/2015

In New York's Hudson Valley, the name Powelton Club stands for quality and tradition. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this splendid site is indeed impressive. It was even used as a backdrop in a Paul Newman movie! From the first meeting with their superb... Read More and caring staff, right through to the closing song at the reception, everything was geared to tailoring our event so that it would become a cherished memory. Ours began--under a full moon--poolside with fountains flowing, cool jazz and the passing of delectable Hors d'Oeuvres. It continued in their elegant Main Dining Room. The staff had graciously conducted a rehearsal in advance covering all necessary details for our entrance and the plan for the evening. A series of buffet stations featured truly delicious food. They worked for well over a year on every detail, showing total willingness, creativity and ingenuity in abiding with budget parameters. At no time were they officious. Rather, they tailored everything to the wishes of the couple, customizing all elements to create the desired total effect. The detailed events proposal also offered a score of extras, including Gift Table with Card Box, Centerpieces, Champagne Flutes, everything imaginable. When we told our guests the reception was going to be at the Powelton, we heard oohs and ahhs! This is not a wedding mill. Far from it. It's an elegant club with a longstanding reputation. Our discerning guests are still raving about the exquisite beauty of the setting, fabulous food and sheer fun we had. Despite months and months of planning, it's natural to worry about things going wrong at a reception. Not at the Powelton Club. Ours was absolutely perfect!

Reviewed on 8/18/2015

My experience with the Powelton Club was terrible. My fiance and I had great interest initially - the Powelton Club facility itself is spacious, elegant and it is much more unique than your typical country club wedding venue - plus it's reasonably priced. However, my experience... Read More with the staff was the issue. We met with Rebecca, the event coordinator, early on in our search for a venue and after two site visits we were strongly interested in the Powelton. Rebecca had ASSURED us that if we put down a date (which we did) then she would secure it for us, unless another couple inquired about it, and in that case she would contact us to give us a fair chance to put a deposit down. Well, about three weeks went by because we were both starting new jobs in the area. Once we were able to redirect our focus back to the wedding planning, we contacted Rebecca and she informed us that she had given our date to another couple. We were shocked and completely outraged. Rebecca claimed that she tried to reach us both by email, but they were having "some email difficulties." And she also claimed to have left me a voicemail, "but it may have been the wrong number." Well let me clarify this, she NEVER contacted either of us by email or phone. And to top it off, the manager, Chris, didn't even contact us to apologize. I had to cc him in an email to get his attention, which he responded to and asked to speak to me over the phone about the situation. I gave him a time frame and my phone number, but never received a call. Not surprising. I usually do not post reviews, but I felt compelled to do so in this case. The Powelton Club staff does not possess integrity, courtesy or compassion for it's potential customers. I hope that this negative review helps prevent all of you from dealing with the major disappointment and dissatisfaction that we had. In my honest opinion, I'm happy that it ended up this way. Thankfully, the staff showed their true colors early on in the process, which allowed for us to recognize their limitations and it helped prevent us from having a disastrous wedding day. We will gladly take our business elsewhere.

Perfect Powelton Club Wedding

Reviewed on 7/21/2015

Rebecca, our event manager was incredible. She took all of our requests in stride and with a sense of humor. (Very helpful for a nervous bride). The staff was amazing- we received comments all evening about how fabulous the service was. Just to top it off the food was... Read More delicious! I would highly recommend working with the Powelton Club. SS

2015-07-22T08:43:27 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words!! It was a pleasure working with you!

Reviewed on 6/28/2015 Ronnie B

We had our wedding at the Powlton Club last night. It' was AMAZING..... Attention to detail was above expectations, Rebecca the manager was top top notch! All our guests have complimented the food, service and overall location. If I could do it again I would do it here!

2015-06-30T15:40:25 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was a pleasure working with you! Hope to see you again soon!

Amazing Day!

Reviewed on 4/08/2015

We had our wedding at the Powelton Club in August 2012. Leading up to the big day Chef Chris worked with us on the menu and the selection of hors d'oeuvers (including a specially made Filipino egg roll - my wife is from the Philippines). Rebecca worked with my wife to come up... Read More with a special cocktail to be featured during our cocktail hour. As for the day itself, the weather was perfect so we had our ceremony on the 4th fairway. We spent a little extra to have the cocktail hour by the pool. I'm so glad we decided to do that as it gave the guests another location to take in the day. The passed hors d'oeuvres were excellent as well as the dinner and accompanying courses. Oh yeah, they also provided us with our own waitress/assistant for the reception! What an amazing touch! Looking back I can't think of anything we'd change. When we look back at our wedding pictures we realize just how lucky we were to have everything go better than we imagined! Thank you everyone at the Powelton Club!

Perfect Place

Reviewed on 2/12/2015 Marsha A

Everything about this place was perfect. The staff was wonderful, from Rebecca to Chris and everyone! They made our wedding day extra special which we will forever cherish! Thank you guys for a remarkable job!

2015-02-19T14:02:51 Response from the vendor

It was an absolute pleasure working with you! I'm so glad you had the perfect day!

Fabulous

Reviewed on 2/02/2015

We had our reception at The Powelton Club in July of 2013. Everything was absolutely perfect! Everyone was great to work with and they made the planning and preparing stress-free. The day of the wedding everything was just the way we wanted. The atmosphere, the food, and the... Read More staff were all wonderful. We couldn't have asked for a better day!

2015-02-11T11:47:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! It was a pleasure working with you and your family throughout the process!