Event Planning on the Outer Banks and Beyond

Our wedding and event coordination services are designed to suit your needs and your lifestyle. From the wild and free to the calm and serene, we have The Proper Setting for you.

Wedding

Planning

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Jessica B

My husband and I got engaged in Spring of 2015. We immediately knew that we wanted to have a beach wedding and were drawn to the Outer Banks. We began looking for our venue immediately and quickly learned that if you want to get married in a house on the beach you have to act... Read More quick. Fortunately we found our dream home/ venue. Shortly after we were told that we had to talk with Kerri, a wedding planner in the OBX from friends who had an idea of getting married down there but ultimately went down another path. I received her information from our friend and quickly contacted her. My husband and I set up a conference call with her for later on in the week. Upon the first five minutes of speaking with Kerri I felt upbeat, excited about my wedding and put at ease about the entire process. Both of us knew right away that we would be booking with her. We booked with Kerri about a year and a half away from our actual date. She immediately provided us with time lines of when we should be doing what and a general plan. We had monthly calls and email communication that we genuinely looked forward to. Kerri wanted to know more about us as a couple and individuals to help us plan our wedding and to help us understand who the best vendors were for us. We live in DC and trust me when I imagined planning a wedding in the OBX I saw dollar signs and multiple trips down to coordinate everything. We only made ONE TRIP during that entire year and a half. In that time Kerri organized our cake tasting, 3 catering tastings, meetings with our officiant and a visit to the house. We never questioned if working with Kerri was a good fit for us but trust me the fact that we only had to haul down there once was a huge help on our budget, time and sanity. The overall process was seamless and truly enjoyable. She worked with us to create a budget highlighting what we had described as being important for our event. She constantly kept us in check with what our vision was and what was truly important about us for our day. She constantly went above and beyond wit h communications with our vendors, organizing our contracts, receiving multiple shipments of things needed for the event and just being the anchor of our wedding. Each of our vendors that Kerri helped us choose were remarkable people and provided remarkable services. Kerri has truly become a part of our new family and we now look forward to our trips down to the OBX to relive the memories of our wedding and to visit our new OBX family. Thank you Kerri and The Proper Setting for giving us the wedding of our dreams and being incredible people every step of the way.

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Mallory T

Kerri is wonderful, professional, hard working, experienced, kind, punctual and a great listener all of which help to make her an EXTRAORDINARY wedding planner! If you find yourself shopping around for a planner let me save you the time and effort - you will NOT regret... Read More choosing The Proper Setting. I cannot say it enough that Kerri is the most amazing wedding planner. The money you will spend is nothing in comparison to the stress and work that Kerri takes off of your plate as a bride. I was super involved in the planning process and Kerri was very supportive and we worked together perfectly as a team! From day one Kerri assisted in the wedding planning process. She was amazing during this process and totally understood my vision and worked with me to make our wedding so special. When we had a vendor back out during the planning process she quickly found a solution (which was even better than our original). We knew six months before our wedding that we had chosen the best wedding planner on the Outer Banks! For our October wedding at Festival Park in Manteo, NC she and her team did a phenomenal job. With close to 300 guests Kerri and her team made our huge wedding a smooth and enjoyable event. It was amazing and I give all credit for the success of the event to The Proper Setting!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Kelly F

My husband and I cannot say enough great things about Kerri and her team! We planned a wedding on the Outer Banks from the Washington, DC area and I am confident we never would have been able to pull it off without her help! She introduced us to some of the most amazing... Read More vendors and expertly helped us navigate all the details of planning a destination wedding. Every single time I spoke with her, she had a way of putting my crazy bride mind at ease and putting me back on track and each time I walked away even more confident that we made the right decision in planning a destination wedding in such a magical location and I am 100% certain Kerri was instrumental in that process. And on the day of the wedding (and our rehearsal, which she helped with as well), she ran everything so expertly that literally I had to do was show up and enjoy every moment, knowing that Kerri and her team had everything under control and were executing my & my husband's vision exactly as we wanted it! It's been almost a month and I field comments daily from our family & friends about how perfect the wedding was and, more specifically, how amazing our planner was! We want to go back and do it all over again but I would never dream of doing this without Kerri! Seriously - you will NOT be sorry if you hire her - you'll only be sorry if you don't!

Reviewed on 11/16/2017 Noelle K

Where to begin? Kerri Catino-Nason with The Proper Setting was a dream! She made our day so uniquely perfect and special and we are forever grateful for our time spent with her. Our wedding was a destination wedding, which can be somewhat nerve wrecking not having the... Read More opportunity to meet with every vendor, but we found so much comfort having Kerri managing our every detail. She is organized, responsive, detail oriented, professional, easy going, fun loving, and overall outstanding! There is something about Kerri that makes you feel like everything is and will be taken care of. She had a clear understanding of our vision and paid close attention to every detail that was important to us. The day of the wedding I had no concerns and truly felt calm and relaxed because I knew Kerri had everything under control. She made our day flawless and perfect in every single way possible. We will cherish our time spent with Kerri and we would recommend her to anyone planning to get married in the Outer Banks. She is the best!

Reviewed on 11/14/2017 Jennifer H

Kerri was amazing! She put all of my worries to ease and helped me every step along the way. She was always available to answer my questions (and I had a lot of them) and thought of every detail. I was completely stress free on my wedding day, thanks to Kerri and The Proper... Read More Setting, and had the best day of my life. I highly recommend her!

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Holly A

We cannot say enough great things about Kerri and her team. She helped us with all details and questions before the wedding and provided us with recommendations of incredible vendors...who were all amazing. On our wedding day, she was priceless. I did not worry about one... Read More thing that morning. It was literally the perfect day!

Reviewed on 10/19/2017 Carolyn K

Kerri is absolutely fantastic! She is very organized and attentive to details. She literally was our saving grace! Hiring Kerri was worth every penny. I couldn’t imagine planning a destination wedding without her by our side. Everything was fabulous on the day of the wedding. It... Read More was exactly what we dreamed. If you are in the midst of planning a wedding on the OBX. You must hire Kerri!!! I promise you regret it!!

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Caroline W

Living in Chapel Hill, I can't even imagine how I could have planned my Outer Banks wedding without Kerri. She was amazing, helping with everything from the houses we rented to the vendors we used. We said we wanted a magical night - and that is exactly what we got.... Read More Everything went exactly as planned (when does that ever happen?) and our guests repeatedly told us it was "the best wedding ever." Thank you, Kerri!!!

Reviewed on 10/14/2017 William W

Kerri was simply outstanding. Her sense of what works, her collection of trusted vendors, her style, and her attention to detail made me relax and leave the details to her. As the father of the bride, I wanted the best day possible for my daughter -- and we got that and more.... Read More And, as a corporate event planner, I know how the little things matter. Kerri gets this, and, even with a hurricane in the area, she had me relaxed and confident. I'd use her again (but NO more weddings for my daughter).

Reviewed on 10/11/2017 Emily W

Kerri Catino-Nason, The Proper Setting LLC, made our day perfect! She made every aspect of planning our wedding so much more convenient and removed a lot of the stress involved with 'The Big Day'. She followed all guidelines set forth in our business contract and provided us... Read More with all of the services we paid for. She was quickly responsive to all phone calls, emails, and text messages we sent, regardless of how busy her wedding season schedule was during that time. She made us feel like we were her priority even though we knew how busy she was with other clients as well. She met all deadlines with all other vendors and coordinated all phone calls and meetings that were scheduled. She provided a full detailed wedding budget and ensured we were still getting all of our must-have details while staying in that budget. Even though we live quite a long distance from the Outer Banks, her services made us feel like we were in the area and planning our day ourselves. On the day of the wedding she made sure all participants and vendors in the event were following the timeline and schedule of the day and she really made our day perfect! We could not have made this day as amazing as it was without her and I would highly recommend her services to anyone who was considering a planner for their special day.

Reviewed on 10/11/2017 Jeff R

Where do we start!?!!? Kerri from the Proper Setting is the epitome of what one can hope for in planning the most important day of your life. It is easy to get overwhelmed by all that is involved in planning a wedding, but the Proper Setting somehow makes all the pieces fall... Read More in place. Our experience was better than "best in class" and the end product was a true testament to Kerri's professionalism and vision. Our family and friends have said to us on numerous occasions "how did you guys put together such a beautiful wedding?".... Our answer every time is "Kerri"!

Reviewed on 9/30/2017 Jennifer C

My husband and I were recently married at Roanoke Island Festival Park and hired Kerri as our wedding planner. It was awesome working with Kerri over the past year, starting at vendor evaluation and selection and ending with the wedding day. As a couple living in Boston and... Read More planning a wedding in the Outer Banks, we are lucky to have worked with Kerri as she was always organized, pays close attention to detail, has great relationships with the vendors we worked with, and made sure we were ahead of schedule. Kerri has a very calm demeanor which put us at ease after any bumps in the road we experienced in the planning process. While accessible through the planning process, Kerri was practically invisible on the day of our wedding. We know this is a testament to all the behind the scenes hard work that contributed to a flawlessly executed event. We are appreciative of Kerri, her awesome assistant, and know we couldn't have done it without her!

Reviewed on 9/19/2017 Bobby L

We reached out to The Proper Setting to get an idea of options for our September wedding in Avon, NC. I enjoy the planning part of things, so I wasn’t sure I wanted or needed the help, but I’m so glad that we contacted Kerri. The service was more than we originally wanted to... Read More spend, but it was well worth the cost as were not distracted by any details the day of the wedding – and neither were any of our guests. During our planning we visited a few vendors in Avon and unfortunately we were unable to meet up with Kerri in person due to unforeseen circumstances. I mention this because although we never met face to face until a few days prior to the wedding we never felt concerned – at all. Kerri is very thorough and detail oriented and we were always on the same page. We had regular calls and she made sure we knew she was available if we had any concerns. In fact when we finally met, it was as if we’d known each other for quite some time. The day of the wedding went smoothly. We met Kerri at our site to take care of a few details when we realized a vendor did not deliver all items as planned. There was no panic from Kerri, but absolutely a sense of urgency and that became a priority (and was quickly resolved). We were able to leave the venue hours before the ceremony and feel really good about all of the details coming together. Sure enough, when we arrived for the ceremony and reception went smoothly and we were never distracted. If getting married was an annual thing, we’d book Kerri every time. She is such a pleasure to work with and very happy with all of her support. Thanks Kerri!

Reviewed on 8/22/2017 Lauren P

Your wedding might have a few bumps in the road. Hopefully it won't, but it might. If you want to meet each bump with confidence and calm, Kerri and her team are the planners to go with. She handled each issue masterfully, with discretion and efficiency. I won't remember being... Read More stressed out at my wedding because I simply wasn't stressed. I enjoyed every second of the day because Kerri was behind it. She treated us like she was planning the wedding of friends. I will be forever grateful for her help, wisdom, calm demeanor, and kind words!

Reviewed on 8/20/2017 Samantha U

Kerri is the BEST!!! She is full of knowledge and had so many great recommendations that helped make my wedding day beyond perfect. She is so organized and makes sure everything runs smoothly so that your wedding day can actually be enjoyable. It rained the whole day of my... Read More wedding and once the call was made to move things indoors, she took care of everything! I never once felt stressed and trusted her with everything. She definitely didn't let us down! Everything turned out perfectly and we are so thankful for her services!!

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Remy T

Kerri is your dream wedding planner. If you want to hire a planner and coordinator who is experienced, professional, organized, trustworthy, on top of things 24/7, while also being fun, energetic, friendly, and thoughtful, Kerri is the lady for you! She worked with us from... Read More beginning to end for over a year planning the wedding of our dreams. We met in person, talked over the phone, and always kept us in check as far as our responsibilities went. Kerri has a lot of talent, wedding wisdom, and tons of connections- which is a huge plus in the wedding industry. She has the biggest heart, really cares for her clients, and she is extremely patient with the difficult family members! :) I would recommend Kerri over and over again. She did an incredible/unreal amount of hard work on our wedding day. I don't know how she does it-she can handle anything!! We are SO thankful she made our wedding day come to life. Best wedding planner in the OBX!

Reviewed on 6/05/2017 Courtney C

Kerri was amazing! She constantly responded through texts and calls for questions I had during the entire wedding planning process. I really enjoyed working with her and I am not sure our day would have been as perfect without her. She constantly provided support and advice as... Read More well! Would 100 percent recommend her!

Reviewed on 11/05/2016 Kate V

I'll try to keep this relatively short; however, that may be difficult considering all of the wonderful things I have to say about Kerri and her team. I knew I loved Kerri from the start because she offered to meet us at a local wine and beer spot, Trio, in OBX and shared a... Read More glass of wine with us during our first meeting. Brownie points there. She was so present and accommodating throughout the entire year of planning; she never missed an email, a phone call, a text. Never. She far exceeded my expectations, truly, and on top of just the planning aspect of the wedding, she was a comforting shoulder, a listening ear, to lean on. She was always offering herself in the event that I felt overwhelmed or stressed. She offered comforting advice as a new mom since I had discovered that I was pregnant only a few months before our wedding. She wasn't one of those pushy, overbearing, loud, obnoxious wedding planners. She has a very calming air about her, something that immediately draws you in. I have to say, I am extremely disappointed that I won't get to work with her anymore, but I will cherish the year that we had together. She's just amazing as is her team. On top of that, she offers the best recommendations on vendors. My wedding was as beautiful and amazing as it was because of her. I would recommend her a million times over.

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Nicole C

When my now-husband and I decided to have a destination wedding in the Outer Banks, we had no idea where to start since we weren't from the area. We chose to contact Kerri solely from her perfect reviews, and I'm so glad that we did. She helped us every step of the way, from... Read More choosing our stunning venue, hooking us up with the most amazing vendors to calming my nerves with multiple alternative arrangements in case the weather didn't cooperate with our outdoor plans. Her kind personality and her professional demeanor made me look forward to our planning sessions and I was actually very sad that I wouldn't be in regular contact with her after the wedding was over. Kerri has a true gift for coordination and she is committed to giving you a no-stress wedding. Any problem or concern that I emailed her about, she responded with "I'll handle it" and that gave me such peace of mind for my wedding day. I truly trusted that no matter what unexpected thing happened on the wedding day, Kerri would be able to handle it and still make the wedding flawless. I can't thank her enough for making the wedding of my dreams turn into a reality. My guests told me over and over that this was the nicest wedding that they have ever been to and it would not have been possible without Kerri! If you're looking for a coordinator, please don't waste a minute looking elsewhere because Kerri is truly the best!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Sarah T

Hiring The Proper Setting to help plan our wedding was undoubtedly one of the best decisions we made. Since we don't live in OBX, my parents and I were all planning from afar, and Kerri was the perfect person to help us make many of the decisions. Kerri was incredibly well... Read More organized and she made sure to keep us on track during the planning process. She was able to recommend some amazing vendors, all of which were just as great to work with as Kerri. Her great working relationships with all the vendors helped to shape the event into exactly what we envisioned. As the bride, I was expecting to be much more stressed out and frantic on my wedding day, but Kerri had everything under control and literally the only thing for me to do was get dressed. It made our weekend that much more enjoyable. Kerri was prepared for anything and everything on the day of the wedding, even to the point of sewing my dress back together when the clasp popped open. We were so lucky to have had her as part of such an amazing day. Thanks Kerri and the Proper Setting team!!! :)

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Veronica W

The words stress-free and wedding planning usually do not go hand in hand. But that is exactly what our experience was simply because of Kerri. When our daughter told us that the OBX was the place they chose to get married, since we are from PA, my first thought was that we... Read More needed a wedding planner. From our very first conversation, Kerri knew what we were looking for even though we had no idea and assured us she'd find exactly what we wanted. And, oh, she did that and SO MUCH MORE. And Kerri brought it all together with absolutely no stress. I know that reading this that you may not believe it but it is the total truth and I told her this time and time again throughout our time together. We did have to worry about a thing. Kerri took care of it all. If we ran into a glitch, I would tell my daughter to just email Kerri and the next thing we knew, there was an email back saying that it was taken care of. And I quickly realized I didn't even need to ask how it was taken care of because I learned very quickly that "taken care of" meant taken care of the best way possible so no need to even put thought or concern into it. Kerri connected us with some awesome vendors and definitely connected us with the ones that were perfect for us. We LOVED them all. But all of that said, the real testimony was, of course, the wedding day itself. The day of the rehearsal when Tropical Storm Julia was announced to be visiting the OBX, Kerri reassured us that if at any way possible, our daughter's outdoor wedding would happen and if that just couldn't happen, she had a Plan B, C and D. And this was the true test of the stress-free wedding that I was talking about. Here we were facing a tropical storm and Kerri was totally calm, cool and collective and she hugged my daughter and assured her that she was 100% in control of whatever came our way and would take care of it. And that is EXACTLY what she did. She worked with the decorator to set up Plan B for the reception (which turned out perfect) and she told us that she was getting our daughter and her fiancé married on that dock, out in the middle of the sound, if there was any way possible. We braced for the worst and got the best!!! Despite a huge storm the night before the wedding, we had a perfect wedding day and Kerri's positively calming voice and professional, caring approach with everything seriously made us relaxed about everything that was happening around us. As the mother of the bride, I never expected to enjoy my daughter's wedding the way that I did because when hosting an event I am usually concerned with details and making sure that everyone has what they need. Because we chose Kerri, the most amazing wedding planner in the OBX, I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of my daughter's wedding and reception and didn't have to give the tiniest thought to anything that was happening around us because I knew that Kerri had it "taken care of" in a way that only Kerri can do. Thank you, Kerri, for allowing us to hear our daughter and son-in-law tell us that their wedding was absolutely everything that they wanted and that they wouldn't have changed one thing. And thank you for allowing my husband and I to enjoy the day (and the planning) without a care. You are truly THE BEST at what you do!!!! And we will be forever thankful that we chose you (and we made our choice simply based on your reviews so that it why I found it so important to let others know how awesome you are)!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Fran T

We started the planning process for our daughter's OBX wedding interviewing several event planners. Our last interview was with Kerri Catino-Nason. I sure wish we started with her because she just blew us away with her simple yet extremely professional presentation. From the... Read More outset, Kerri offered suggestions and ideas we had not considered and this was even before we formally engaged her services. It quickly became apparent to us that we made the right decision. Whenever we spoke to a potential vendor during the early stages of the process, we were asked "who is your planner?". When we would simply respond Kerri without mentioning her last name or her company name, the vendors all responded with a smile and the statement "she's the best!" Every bit of advice was spot-on. Her vendor recommendations always came with choices and pros and cons about each. When issues arose, she provided sound guidance. As the big day approached, Kerri actually moved to an even higher level. Her organization and coordination of all of the vendors left my wife and I the time to really enjoy ourselves and our daughter's wedding rather than worry when and how things will get done. Kerri and her assistant Mary worked tirelessly that day, on-site for over 12 hours, ensuring all went as planned. A couple of situations arose that could have been quite problematic but Kerri very quietly and effectively resolved them. Without question, I strongly encourage you to start your search with Kerri; you won't need to go any further!

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Emily D

The proper setting did a wonderful job with assisting my husband and I plan our wedding. Kerri provided us with a very helpful timeline of what we should be doing and by what date we needed things done. Kerri guided us through the sometimes stressful process of planning a... Read More wedding but Kerri made it easy! Kerri had a list of all the vendors we would need for the wedding day. All of the vendors she recommended daily d an amazing job. The day of the wedding Kerri set everything up and all I had to do was sit back and get my make up done. That day I had no worries. I would highly recommend the proper setting to anyone looking to get married in the OBX. Outstanding service!

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Sara K

Kerri and her team were incredible to work with. As a bride, I was overwhelmed by the multitude of choices available and everyone else's opinions. Kerri got to know my groom & I, and then curated vendor choices that were a perfect match to our style and personalities. She kept... Read More us on budget and on schedule and gave us honest and useful guidance. When it came to the wedding day itself, it was something extraordinary that we will remember forever. Since we've been back plenty of people have asked us, "Are you glad it's over?" And our answer is always the same "No! We'd love to do it again, it was the best day ever." And it really was- Everything was so beautiful, and we got to enjoy every minute of it, thanks to Kerri and her team. It was as stress free as it could have been (aside from the stress we put on ourselves!). We had no idea what was going on behind the scenes- which left us truly able to enjoy everything about the day with all the people we love. Even when the rented generator died at the end of the night, Kerri was prepared with extension cords and jumped in to save the last hour of dancing, giving us a great story to share with our friends and family for years to come. We loved working with Kerri, and seeing everything come together. The day was truly beyond our expectations. We were so lucky to have found her and are extremely grateful for her hard work, guidance, and expertise.

Reviewed on 9/22/2016 Lauren E

Booking Kerri and The Proper Setting team was the best decision we made for our wedding day in the Outer Banks. When we decided to rent a large home for our destination wedding, I knew I would need someone help organize all the details and make the day run smoothly. Kerri did... Read More both of those things, and SO much more to make our day perfect. My husband and I spoke to many vendors at the OBX bridal convention, but after meeting Kerri we knew she was perfect. From the first time we met her she was happy, bubbly, SO knowledgeable, well-connected, and professional. Throughout the entire planning process she kept me organized, helped with selecting vendors, and essentially provided feedback for anything and everything I could think of. I honestly would have never thought of half of the things Kerri did to get ready and plan for the big day. She was simply amazing with everything- from my event order, to dinner menu, to day-of timeline. When the big day finally came our event home looked straight out of my Pinterest page. When a last minute rainstorm switched up our first few plans, Kerri handled the big changes with so much grace and poise. I can only imagine the craziness of changing everything last minute, and because of Kerri I barely noticed the entire switch up. She continued to keep everything running smoothly amid the weather chaos and I was not stressed for a minute the entire day. We had the most amazing day of our lives, and none of it would have been possible without her or The Proper Setting Team. They were worth every cent and ten times more. The Proper Setting will make your day perfect- rain or shine!