The Red Barn at Hampshire College

Amherst, MA

Book Your Wedding with The Red Barn at Hampshire College

A BALLROOM IN AMHERST, MA

The Red Barn at Hampshire College is the ideal setting for a rustic, chic wedding located in the heart of Amherst, Massachusetts. The expansive grounds offer multiple opportunities for memorable photos with the couple and invited guests. The Red Barn at Hampshire college was first constructed in 1820 and since then, the classic barn has undergone a series of renovations—each one completed with respect for maintaining its original charm. The barn still features its original wide-panel wooden floors, exposed posts and wooden beans. Special upgrades like heating and cooling ventilation ensure that you and your guests are comfortable throughout the seasons.

The quaint event space can host up to 120 of your closest family and friends in a reception set up to accommodate a dance floor. Couples looking for a unique, country-themed wedding complete with a classic barnyard feel—with a few modernized upgrades, of course—need to look no further.

Take advantage of the breathtaking mountainscape views seen from The Red Barn's large outdoor deck. Begin your day with an outdoor ceremony, then invite guests to begin the festivities on the deck with an outdoor cocktail hour while enjoying views of the Notch and Holyoke Mountain Range. The barn creates a cozy setting for some of the most romantic winter wedding celebrations in Massachusetts.

Trust the experienced staff at The Red Barn at Hampshire College to put their award-winning skills to use in making your wedding day everything you've always envisioned. Event coordinators are available to offer step-by-step assistance when it comes to choosing vendors, planning photos and more.

Completing the farm feel of this venue, The Red Barn at Hampshire College commits to offering couples a farm-to-table wedding menu supplied by local farmers across Pioneer Valley. While it provides a tentative menu as an example of their culinary skills, it also offers custom menu pairings.

From formal plated meals to an informal backyard barbecue selection, your wish is its command. Couples typically take advantage of a plentiful buffet but your event coordinator can accommodate any style reception you wish. Wedding packages come with a few complimentary offerings including fresh baked artisan rolls with whipped butter, salad, and self-service coffee and tea.

Ask your event coordinator about any food and beverage minimums that may apply to your reservation. All menus must be finalized two months before your wedding. Meals served to children 12 and under are reduced and children three and under eat for free. The venue does allow for specially plated meals to appease guests with severe allergies, however these requests cannot exceed 5 percent of the total guest count. Credit card payments require an additional 3 percent fee and all packages or menu pricing will receive an 18 percent gratuity.

In addition to a diverse menu, The Red Barn at Hampshire College also provides an assortment of beverages for your guests. Basic beverage packages include soft drinks, juice, seltzer water, and spring water. For alcoholic selections, this venue requires at least one bartender for every 75 guests. Bartenders are not allowed to serve shots or shooters. The venue may decide to close the bar between your social cocktail hour and the dinner to assist with seating your guests. Outside alcohol cannot be brought to the property.

All wedding packages include:

• Full access to the venue for wedding photographs
  • Cocktail hour on the 20-foot-by-60-foot outdoor deck
  • Formal chinaware
  • White or ivory floor-length linens
  • A selection of over 30 different napkin colors
  • 12, 60-inch round tables or 12, 8-foot banquet tables
  • 120 white garden chairs
  • Complimentary water station at the ceremony during the summer season
  • Cake-cutting service
  • Consultation from culinary team

Additionally, Hampshire College mandates a minimum of $1,000 general liability insurance for all events. Hampshire College must be named on the insurance policy and proof of insurance for the entire event must be provided before the wedding begins.

• On-site wedding coordinator
  • Private hospitality room for the wedding couple or bridal party
  • Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free menu items available
  • Complimentary bartender for up to 75 guests
  • Located near Interstate 91, with plenty of hotels within driving distance
  • The Knot Best of Weddings 2016 award winner
  • Wedding Wire Couple's Choice 2016 award winner
  • Unique Venues Best Farm-to-Table Catering 2015 award winner

Rustic yet elegant venue in the Pioneer Valley!

The Red Barn was originally built in 1820 and was acquired when Hampshire College opened in the Fall of 1970. The post and beam space has been the preferred space for Hampshire College events for the past 40 years and a well known wedding destination at the base of the Mount Holyoke range.

Ballroom, Barn, Loft, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

340be60c 20f2 414a addb 4083a1d96c7a~rs 100
Fe7719fa d8df 43f7 b18c 942ee8fef3e2~rs 100

893 West St, Amherst, MA (413) 559-5610
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 11/15/2017 Shannon Y

Barbara and the entire staff at the Red Barn at Hampshire College went above and beyond to make our wedding day absolutely perfect. They gave us free reign when it came to creating the menu (we went with southern barbecue and a pie bar,) decorating as we pleased (allowing us... Read More to hang lanterns and flowers in the ceremony tree in addition to indoor decor) and even choosing the date. Since we got married on the Thursday before Columbus Day weekend, the Red Barn allowed us to set up the afternoon before and Barbara even stayed after setup to help run us through a rehearsal -- despite having to also coordinating other weddings set for Friday and Saturday. Throughout the entire planning process Barbara was easily accessible, quick to respond to emails and on top of deadlines. In addition to that, she and the entire Red Barn staff were a joy to work with on the wedding day, helping to move things along, directing guests to their proper places and making sure that everyone -- especially the bride and groom -- had a great time.

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Asia S

I honestly have nothing bad to say about The Red Barn. We first toured the barn in March of 2016 and booked our September 2017 wedding the next day. Barbara B was out event coordinator through the barn and she was fantastic. She always returned my emails promptly and was eager... Read More to make our day perfect! Which it was. Ive heard horror stories from brides about issues with their weddings, catering etc. One thing we loved about the barn was that the catering, beverage, desert and linens are all done directly though them. The venue itself is breathtaking, we were so lucky to have perfect weather so our ceremony under the tree went off without a hitch. There are so many things happening on your wedding day the last thing the bride wants to do is think about anything. Barbara was my brain for the day. she told me where to be and when to be there. the ceremony started right on time. she told us when to walk, made sure we had food and drinks while we took photos during cocktail hour. Truly, everything was perfect. i had so many guests tell us it was the best wedding they have ever been to, and i owe all of that to our vendors. The food was raved about, drinks were delicious. it was absolutely perfect. we checked out about 8 different barn venues and I'm so glad we went with the red barn!

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Barbara H

We loved The Red Barn SO much. I will be highly recommending this venue to any new bride in Western Mass. Not only was this venue the perfect location for that New England fall wedding I was dreaming of, but the staff went above and beyond to ensure our day was flawless. I... Read More could not have asked for a better day of-coordinator than Bridget. She was extremely helpful, patient and kind throughout the entire process, but especially the day of the wedding, when it was pouring rain in the morning and I started worrying about having the ceremony outside. She immediately relieved all my stress when she explained that she was just going to set everything up inside so we could get married in the barn if necessary, but we could wait until up to an hour before to make the final call. By 4pm, the rain had let up, so we decided to proceed outside and they immediately wiped dry all the chairs up by the tree and rearranged the barn so it was ready for dinner and dancing and I didn't even have to think about it. Bridget and her staff had it all handled. Besides the amazing staff and how accommodating they were, the food was absolutely delicious (every guest told us how much they enjoyed dinner) and the venue was absolutely beautiful. The tree was a perfect backdrop for our ceremony and the surrounding views of the mountains were just breathtaking. And at night, those twinkly lights in the barn were truly magical - I will be reminicsing about how lovely our wedding was for a very long time.

Reviewed on 12/04/2017 Jamie P

The Red Barn at Hampshire College was a dream come true for our wedding day. Our coordinator Emily worked closely with us to ensure our day was just perfect. Could not have been more happy with our venue choice.

Reviewed on 11/17/2017 Aimée V

I don't know where to begin with praise to the Red Barn at Hampshire College for the most perfect, beautiful wedding day. From start to finish, our experience with the Red Barn & specifically our fantastic wedding coordinator, Barbara, was absolutely exceptional. Not only was... Read More Barbara attentive, responsive & calm & collected the entire time, she was thoughtful & helpful when it came down to last minute shifts & updates to our day. Communication with Barbara started soon after we put our deposit down & from then on, she felt like my right-hand woman throughout the entire planning process. She responded to my many questions quickly & directly. She helped work through big things like our ever-changing floor plan, as well as little things like pressing play on our entrance music for the ceremony. We are so fortunate to have had Barbara as our coordinator, I cannot say enough about how special she is & how amazing she made our day. She was such a trooper when we said YES, we still want our ceremony outside even though it's 34 degrees & she donned her puffy coat & stuck it out with us. Aside from the fantastic assistance the staff at the Red Barn provided, we would be remiss to not gush over the food. We both love to cook & food has been a central part of our relationship, so we wanted somewhere that would give us a delicious menu, not just standard wedding fare. The Red Barn's farm-to-table menu is delicious & some of the best food we've had - period. All of our guests talked about how delicious the food was & the Red Barn was able to accommodate those with special dietary needs without a second thought. If you are a looking for something rustic or are going for a more natural look & feel to your wedding day, we highly recommend the Red Barn as your venue. From day one through our wedding day, we were made to feel like VIPs. The Red Barn at Hampshire College made our special day even more amazing than we could have ever dreamed.

Reviewed on 11/11/2017 Tiffany L

Where do I even begin?! First of all, we had Bridget as our day of coordinator and she is AMAZING! She's super nice and VERY patient (she didn't seem annoyed at all when I was asking her a million questions). She made sure that we had everything that we needed and made us feel... Read More super comfortable throughout the whole entire wedding process. From start to finish, Bridget was amazing! Secondly, the red barn is the most beautiful venue, especially in the fall! The layout, I think, is perfect (we even had our own bridal suite downstairs!). The view of the mountains is absolutely breathtaking! Lastly, the vendors that they recommend are all amazing as well and they made planning a breeze! Highly recommend this venue!

Reviewed on 11/09/2017 Laura B

We had our ceremony and reception at the Red Barn on a gorgeous fall evening. Inside the barn was beautifully decorated with lights. The caterer provided by Red Barn was amazing. The food was delicious! I was especially pleased that they had a golf cart on site to help our... Read More guests who couldn't make the walk out to the reception area under the tree. Our planner, Emily was fantastic! She was very helpful and attentive during the planning and the day of our wedding. I highly recommend this venue.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017 Alexis M

I don't think anything could've been more perfect than my wedding day at the red barn. Photos hardly do the space justice, indoors and out, when touring I immediately fell in love with the location, with the ceremony tree in the shadow of the mountains, and I think every time I... Read More went back it looked more beautiful. I can't stress enough how worth it it was to have a ceremony and reception venue in the same place that really handled just about everything. Barbara, my coordinator through the red barn was so sweet and extremely responsive to all of my millions of questions. Lastly, the food was amazing.

Reviewed on 10/10/2017 Danielle P

Had my wedding at the red barn at Hampshire college on 9/29/17 and it was wonderful! The venue was beautiful and the pictures that we are getting back from our photographer are breathtaking ! The staff was efficient and tried to help me in every and any way they could. Our... Read More coordinator, Emily, was the best! She always responded to my emails very quickly and tried to accommodate every request. I would recommend this venue to everyone! Read

Reviewed on 9/30/2017 Paige C

Everything was amazing, food, service, wedding coordinator. Every vision I had was nailed & executed perfectly. Could not have asked for a better day!

Reviewed on 8/15/2017 KC H

The Red Barn is simply fantastic. The view of the Mt. Holyoke range is spectacular! The ceremony tree has a certain magic that we loved as soon as we stood under it, and the Barn itself is lovely too. The tasting event was so much fun! We had a chance to experience the Barn as... Read More it would be set up for a reception, which helped us imagine the décor we wanted. As a few others have said, we were slightly disappointed with some of the menu options served at the tasting and I worried over having booked a venue where we could not choose the caterer ourselves. However, Seth was extremely flexible and willing to accommodate our special requests for sauces, appetizers, etc. The food served at our wedding was DELICIOUS, exactly what we wanted, and displayed quite elegantly. Many guests complimented the food and went back for seconds and even thirds. Barbara, our coordinator, was AMAZING – responsive, organized, and so helpful! The DIY DJ set-up was easy to use and saved us thousands. There were no surprises in terms of the invoice, and pricing was crystal clear from the start, allowing us to stay within our budget. Because there was no event the day before our Friday wedding, we were able to decorate early, which allowed us peace of mind and more free time with visiting family. On the day of, Barbara and her team made sure every last detail was perfect and went off without a hitch. We had prepared for the inevitable glitches and last-minute hiccups, but literally *everything* went smoothly as planned. Our experience at the Red Barn was quite literally perfect; we could not have chosen a better venue for our wedding. Thank you, Red Barn staff!

Reviewed on 8/01/2017 Elaina N

My husband and I had such a great experience with the Red Barn! Beautiful location with amazingly helpful staff. Our coordinator, Bridget, was provided by the venue -- she was incredibly responsive throughout the planning process and made sure the day went smoothly. They also... Read More did the catering and the food was top notch. The best part is that it was very affordable!

Reviewed on 7/31/2017 Melanie M

Our wedding day at the Red Barn exceeded all our wildest dreams! The setting was beautiful under the tree for the ceremony, on the deck for cocktail hour and in the barn for the reception. Our coordinator, Emily, was very helpful in implementing all the little things we wanted... Read More to do to make the day uniquely ours and made sure everything went smoothly. The food is amazing! I highly recommend The Red Barn!

Reviewed on 7/25/2017 Renee S

I can't enough good things about the Red Barn! It was honestly the dream venue for my husband and I! It exceeded our expectations and was perfect in every way. From the outdoor ceremony under the beautiful tree to the AMAZING food and the gorgeous barn, I just can't say enough... Read More good things! Also a big thank you to our coordinator Emily who went above and beyond for us! I would recommend the Red Barn to all brides : )

Reviewed on 6/22/2017 Tracy N

I would highly recommend the Red Barn at Hampshire College for your wedding ceremony and reception. It is a beautiful venue with an outdoor and rustic feel. I liked how we could create our own unique theme and decorations. The food and service were excellent, and our guests... Read More were very happy. We had an excellent experience throughout the planning process and the day of the wedding. I loved it!

Reviewed on 5/02/2017 Madeleine L

The Red Barn was the perfect place to have my wedding! The staff was so incredibly helpful leading up to the day. I didn't feel stressed once. They really went above and beyond to make the day flawless. The venue was also stunning. Their expertise and kindness really made my... Read More wedding a success. I would recommend this venue to anyone!

Reviewed on 4/24/2017 Heather D

Our experience at the Red Barn was more than we could have hoped for, for an exceptionally affordable price. Our guests have not stopped calling us today complimenting the ceremony by the tree, the elegance of the barn, and most importantly, the food!! The food was... Read More exceptional!! We ordered the beef tenderloin that could be cut with a butter knife it was so tender. The mixed green salad with beets and feta was to die for. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the side of acorn squash was delicious, not overly buttery and cooked to perfection. Our experience was positive from the second the Red Barn was contacted. Isabel and Bridget, with whom I worked to coordinate things mostly via email, were responsive, and exceptionally timely in responding. They answered all questions asked and they were both very accommodating. Most importantly, the venue was flexible in terms of what I was looking for, pricing, and any changes that needed to be made. Isabel and Bridget were kind, respectful and presented with excellent demeanors. When I was setting up, Bridget answered all questions that were asked and was as accommodating and professional as she was via email. We would highly recommend the Red Barn for your wedding. Particularly, if you are looking for something elegant, intimate and beautiful that is accommodating. What I particularly enjoyed most as the bride was that it took little to no decorating for the venue to be beautiful. All we needed were the overhead lights. I had centerpieces I made and did my wedding on a budget. People were raving about how beautiful it was. It was the barn. If I had decorated, I felt like it would have been too much. The barn stands alone as a beautiful place to spend one of the most special days of your life. The only thing we were thinking is that we would have liked to have been offered the leftover food from the buffet, because there was much remaining. Mostly, we would have liked this because it was SO good, we would have hoped to have it for left-overs today. ~Heather and Dave, April 23rd, 2017

Reviewed on 3/30/2017 Sonia F

March Wedding :) What can I say…words cannot describe the emotions I feel when I think about my wedding!! The day was just perfect! The venue, rustic with a touch of elegance. Barbara, our wedding coordinator, made sure I had nothing to worry about during the entire planning... Read More process. Her attention with us and with every single detail of our wedding was just above and beyond. From organizing the ceremony and reception, to the decorations and food….everything was just superb! We were able to enjoy our day fully with our family and friends.

Reviewed on 3/19/2017 Christa E

The Red Barn at Hampshire College was the perfect venue for our wedding. Our coordinator Barbara was incredible. She made sure we were relaxed throughout the entire wedding-planning process, going above and beyond to make everything perfect. The food was incredible, so if... Read More you're looking for food that's truly a cut above the rest, The Red Barn won't disappoint. As far as drinks are concerned, we HIGHLY recommend adding "The Barn Brew" to your bar package. Your guests will thank you!

Reviewed on 3/13/2017 Rachael C

The Red Barn is a beautiful place to have a wedding any time of year. The staff works with you every step of the way and it not only accommodating but patient and kind. We had a great experience having our wedding in March and when the weather threatened to hinder the event the... Read More wedding coordinator went out of his way to solve our problems as best as he could. I would recommend the Red Barn to anyone looking for an amazing wedding day.

Reviewed on 12/01/2016 Angela W

The Red Barn at Hampshire College was a fantastic venue. The setting is beautiful, the food is excellent, the staff is very helpful and organized. Everything went without a hitch and everyone had a great time. It was reasonably priced as well.

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 chris w

Our wedding was sept.22,16 we had the best day of our lives. Barbara our corodinator was so wonderful we didn't have to worry about a thing. The food was amazing!! The weather was perfect so we had our ceremony outside by the big oak tree overlooking the mountains! We couldn't... Read More have asked for a better experience!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Diane L

Amazing venue! The venue coordinator Bridget H. Was absolutely amazing! I picked a date and everything else was handled! I enjoyed every moment at The Red Barn, all my guests loved the ceremony tree which was amazing! I traveled all the way from Brooklyn, NY and it was worth... Read More every moment! I recommend this venue for any event! I will be back in 10 years to renew our vows and do it all over again!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Megan B

We absolutely loved the Red Barn for our Wedding!!! It was an amazing venue and Barbara, our coordinator, was super helpful, organized and very responsive. She really helped us organize a fantastic day. The venue is beautiful and the food was fantastic. We could not have... Read More chosen a better wedding venue.

Reviewed on 9/13/2016 Laura R

I was absolutely in love with our reception at the Red Barn! It not only made my dream wedding come to life, the staff was amazing as well. I would highly recommend the Red Barn to anyone who is looking to have the most amazing wedding!