The Red Barn at Hampshire College

Amherst, MA

Book Your Wedding with The Red Barn at Hampshire College

A BALLROOM IN AMHERST, MA

The Red Barn at Hampshire College is the ideal setting for a rustic, chic wedding located in the heart of Amherst, Massachusetts. The expansive grounds offer multiple opportunities for memorable photos with the couple and invited guests. The Red Barn at Hampshire college was first constructed in 1820 and since then, the classic barn has undergone a series of renovations—each one completed with respect for maintaining its original charm. The barn still features its original wide-panel wooden floors, exposed posts and wooden beans. Special upgrades like heating and cooling ventilation ensure that you and your guests are comfortable throughout the seasons.

The quaint event space can host up to 120 of your closest family and friends in a reception set up to accommodate a dance floor. Couples looking for a unique, country-themed wedding complete with a classic barnyard feel—with a few modernized upgrades, of course—need to look no further.

Take advantage of the breathtaking mountainscape views seen from The Red Barn's large outdoor deck. Begin your day with an outdoor ceremony, then invite guests to begin the festivities on the deck with an outdoor cocktail hour while enjoying views of the Notch and Holyoke Mountain Range. The barn creates a cozy setting for some of the most romantic winter wedding celebrations in Massachusetts.

Trust the experienced staff at The Red Barn at Hampshire College to put their award-winning skills to use in making your wedding day everything you've always envisioned. Event coordinators are available to offer step-by-step assistance when it comes to choosing vendors, planning photos and more.

Completing the farm feel of this venue, The Red Barn at Hampshire College commits to offering couples a farm-to-table wedding menu supplied by local farmers across Pioneer Valley. While it provides a tentative menu as an example of their culinary skills, it also offers custom menu pairings.

From formal plated meals to an informal backyard barbecue selection, your wish is its command. Couples typically take advantage of a plentiful buffet but your event coordinator can accommodate any style reception you wish. Wedding packages come with a few complimentary offerings including fresh baked artisan rolls with whipped butter, salad, and self-service coffee and tea.

Ask your event coordinator about any food and beverage minimums that may apply to your reservation. All menus must be finalized two months before your wedding. Meals served to children 12 and under are reduced and children three and under eat for free. The venue does allow for specially plated meals to appease guests with severe allergies, however these requests cannot exceed 5 percent of the total guest count. Credit card payments require an additional 3 percent fee and all packages or menu pricing will receive an 18 percent gratuity.

In addition to a diverse menu, The Red Barn at Hampshire College also provides an assortment of beverages for your guests. Basic beverage packages include soft drinks, juice, seltzer water, and spring water. For alcoholic selections, this venue requires at least one bartender for every 75 guests. Bartenders are not allowed to serve shots or shooters. The venue may decide to close the bar between your social cocktail hour and the dinner to assist with seating your guests. Outside alcohol cannot be brought to the property.

All wedding packages include:

• Full access to the venue for wedding photographs
  • Cocktail hour on the 20-foot-by-60-foot outdoor deck
  • Formal chinaware
  • White or ivory floor-length linens
  • A selection of over 30 different napkin colors
  • 12, 60-inch round tables or 12, 8-foot banquet tables
  • 120 white garden chairs
  • Complimentary water station at the ceremony during the summer season
  • Cake-cutting service
  • Consultation from culinary team

Additionally, Hampshire College mandates a minimum of $1,000 general liability insurance for all events. Hampshire College must be named on the insurance policy and proof of insurance for the entire event must be provided before the wedding begins.

• On-site wedding coordinator
  • Private hospitality room for the wedding couple or bridal party
  • Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free menu items available
  • Complimentary bartender for up to 75 guests
  • Located near Interstate 91, with plenty of hotels within driving distance
  • The Knot Best of Weddings 2016 award winner
  • Wedding Wire Couple's Choice 2016 award winner
  • Unique Venues Best Farm-to-Table Catering 2015 award winner

Rustic yet elegant venue in the Pioneer Valley!

The Red Barn was originally built in 1820 and was acquired when Hampshire College opened in the Fall of 1970. The post and beam space has been the preferred space for Hampshire College events for the past 40 years and a well known wedding destination at the base of the Mount Holyoke range.

Ballroom, Barn, Loft, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

893 West St, Amherst, MA (413) 559-5610
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 10/06/2015 Heather B

The Red Barn was everything I imagined and MORE! We were blessed with a beautiful, temperate, sunset wedding on 9/25/15. Barbara listened to my every wish, followed all of my direction and and put my wedding together better than I ever envisioned! I have NEVER had better food at... Read More a wedding! We had the most tender, juicy and perfectly done Filet Mignon and salmon, I have EVER had! Their catering company is worth every gosh-darn cent we paid, and then some! I've been to weddings at a few of the 'top notch' venue's in the area and they just can't compare to The Red Barn! This venue is truly top notch without the price tag! Thank you, Red Barn!

Fall Wedding 2014

Reviewed on 1/29/2015

The Red Barn was the first and only placed we viewed when looking for a venue for our wedding. We immediately fell in love with everything from the field with the beautiful oak tree to the rustic barn that brought such warmth with its antique floor and ceiling. Our... Read More coordinator, Samantha Coulter did a fantastic job and made the day a dream come true! The space was cozy and staff were flexible with accommodating any special requests. The food and drinks were delicious as well. Every last detail was perfect. We'd highly recommend it! =)

PERFECT venue!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Rebecca A

I cannot believe how perfect this venue was for our wedding. From beginning to end, everyone at the Red Barn was absolutely amazing to work with. They were very flexible for special requests and specific needs. The food was great, the beverages amazing, and the ambience can't be... Read More beat. Whatever you want to do for your wedding, the Red Barn will make it work. We wanted string lights across the entire ceiling, and the Red Barn got us in the night before so we could set it up. It looked perfect. All night guests were telling us how amazing the venue was. Seriously, if you're considering this place- STOP LOOKING! You will never regret this choice! It was perfect in every way.

Reviewed on 6/22/2017 Tracy N

I would highly recommend the Red Barn at Hampshire College for your wedding ceremony and reception. It is a beautiful venue with an outdoor and rustic feel. I liked how we could create our own unique theme and decorations. The food and service were excellent, and our guests... Read More were very happy. We had an excellent experience throughout the planning process and the day of the wedding. I loved it!

Reviewed on 5/02/2017 Madeleine L

The Red Barn was the perfect place to have my wedding! The staff was so incredibly helpful leading up to the day. I didn't feel stressed once. They really went above and beyond to make the day flawless. The venue was also stunning. Their expertise and kindness really made my... Read More wedding a success. I would recommend this venue to anyone!

Reviewed on 4/24/2017 Heather D

Our experience at the Red Barn was more than we could have hoped for, for an exceptionally affordable price. Our guests have not stopped calling us today complimenting the ceremony by the tree, the elegance of the barn, and most importantly, the food!! The food was... Read More exceptional!! We ordered the beef tenderloin that could be cut with a butter knife it was so tender. The mixed green salad with beets and feta was to die for. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the side of acorn squash was delicious, not overly buttery and cooked to perfection. Our experience was positive from the second the Red Barn was contacted. Isabel and Bridget, with whom I worked to coordinate things mostly via email, were responsive, and exceptionally timely in responding. They answered all questions asked and they were both very accommodating. Most importantly, the venue was flexible in terms of what I was looking for, pricing, and any changes that needed to be made. Isabel and Bridget were kind, respectful and presented with excellent demeanors. When I was setting up, Bridget answered all questions that were asked and was as accommodating and professional as she was via email. We would highly recommend the Red Barn for your wedding. Particularly, if you are looking for something elegant, intimate and beautiful that is accommodating. What I particularly enjoyed most as the bride was that it took little to no decorating for the venue to be beautiful. All we needed were the overhead lights. I had centerpieces I made and did my wedding on a budget. People were raving about how beautiful it was. It was the barn. If I had decorated, I felt like it would have been too much. The barn stands alone as a beautiful place to spend one of the most special days of your life. The only thing we were thinking is that we would have liked to have been offered the leftover food from the buffet, because there was much remaining. Mostly, we would have liked this because it was SO good, we would have hoped to have it for left-overs today. ~Heather and Dave, April 23rd, 2017

Reviewed on 3/30/2017 Sonia F

March Wedding :) What can I say…words cannot describe the emotions I feel when I think about my wedding!! The day was just perfect! The venue, rustic with a touch of elegance. Barbara, our wedding coordinator, made sure I had nothing to worry about during the entire planning... Read More process. Her attention with us and with every single detail of our wedding was just above and beyond. From organizing the ceremony and reception, to the decorations and food….everything was just superb! We were able to enjoy our day fully with our family and friends.

Reviewed on 3/19/2017 Christa E

The Red Barn at Hampshire College was the perfect venue for our wedding. Our coordinator Barbara was incredible. She made sure we were relaxed throughout the entire wedding-planning process, going above and beyond to make everything perfect. The food was incredible, so if... Read More you're looking for food that's truly a cut above the rest, The Red Barn won't disappoint. As far as drinks are concerned, we HIGHLY recommend adding "The Barn Brew" to your bar package. Your guests will thank you!

Reviewed on 3/13/2017 Rachael C

The Red Barn is a beautiful place to have a wedding any time of year. The staff works with you every step of the way and it not only accommodating but patient and kind. We had a great experience having our wedding in March and when the weather threatened to hinder the event the... Read More wedding coordinator went out of his way to solve our problems as best as he could. I would recommend the Red Barn to anyone looking for an amazing wedding day.

Reviewed on 12/01/2016 Angela W

The Red Barn at Hampshire College was a fantastic venue. The setting is beautiful, the food is excellent, the staff is very helpful and organized. Everything went without a hitch and everyone had a great time. It was reasonably priced as well.

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 chris w

Our wedding was sept.22,16 we had the best day of our lives. Barbara our corodinator was so wonderful we didn't have to worry about a thing. The food was amazing!! The weather was perfect so we had our ceremony outside by the big oak tree overlooking the mountains! We couldn't... Read More have asked for a better experience!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Diane L

Amazing venue! The venue coordinator Bridget H. Was absolutely amazing! I picked a date and everything else was handled! I enjoyed every moment at The Red Barn, all my guests loved the ceremony tree which was amazing! I traveled all the way from Brooklyn, NY and it was worth... Read More every moment! I recommend this venue for any event! I will be back in 10 years to renew our vows and do it all over again!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Megan B

We absolutely loved the Red Barn for our Wedding!!! It was an amazing venue and Barbara, our coordinator, was super helpful, organized and very responsive. She really helped us organize a fantastic day. The venue is beautiful and the food was fantastic. We could not have... Read More chosen a better wedding venue.

Reviewed on 9/13/2016 Laura R

I was absolutely in love with our reception at the Red Barn! It not only made my dream wedding come to life, the staff was amazing as well. I would highly recommend the Red Barn to anyone who is looking to have the most amazing wedding!

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Katherine L

We had our wedding reception at the Red Barn at Hampshire College and it was excellent! During the planning process, the staff at the Red Barn and our reception coordinator (Mike) were quite helpful and responsive to our questions and ideas. We received thorough details on what... Read More was available for food, services and facilities, as well as all of the costs. The Red Barn has an extensive menu of great selections, and we enjoyed attending a delicious menu tasting with some friends. The Red Barn was also very accommodating for our guests with dietary restrictions, serving them their own meals that met their needs. The staff did a lovely job of preparing the room by setting up our decorations in addition to the tables with linens and dishes and silverware. The venue and grounds were beautiful; we took pictures outside by the big oak tree with views of the nearby hills, and our guests enjoyed the deck and lawn areas during the cocktail hour and throughout the evening. It was great to have the whole venue, including the scenic grounds, to ourselves and our guests for our wedding reception; we felt at home. We would absolutely recommend the Red Barn at Hampshire College for your wedding reception.

Reviewed on 6/17/2016 Maegan B

We had a beautiful wedding at the Red Barn. Our wedding coordinator was helpful and easy to work with, and last minute changes were no problem. Our guests loved being able to go outdoors and the food!

So Happy We Chose the Red Barn!

Reviewed on 11/15/2015 Eliza B

I was on the hunt for the perfect barn location in the Pioneer Valley for our wedding and am so happy we chose The Red Barn at Hampshire College. The location was gorgeous, the food was excellent, but above all, the staff and service was absolutely exceptional. We had a smooth... Read More and positive experience, every step of the way. Everyone we worked with was extremely professional, prepared and accommodating to all our needs. Definitely recommend!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Ashlie C

The Red Barn at Hampshire College was everything we wanted in a venue, and at a very affordable price. The interior held the rustic charm we wanted, and the uplighting gave it the romantic feel we wanted too. They were so open to us DIY-ing almost our entire wedding, and our... Read More coordinator Barbara was beyond helpful. She sat down and answered all 7 million bride questions I had, and let us wander and measure the venue months in advance so we could prep all of our decorations. She had a great creative eye, so I wasn't worried leaving my centerpieces in her hands to set up the day of. She was so quick with responses and was open to doing anything to keep me at ease about my wedding day. All of our guests were gushing about how amazing the food was, which is always an added bonus! My husband (now) and I have been on cloud nine from our wedding day for weeks now and its all because of the venue and the impeccable service we received at it. I would recommend this venue over and over to everyone! (although not my friends because I shamelessly want to be the only one who got married at this beautiful venue - haha) Thank you Red Barn for all you did for us to make our wedding day the best day of our life!

The Red Barn made my wedding perfect

Reviewed on 10/19/2015

Every detail was as I had hoped it would be. Sam and her assistant were professional, kind and helpful. The food, atmosphere, and staff were flawless. Sam was so sweet and supportive of me and our friends. Every detail was elegant, simple and reasonably priced. I wish I could... Read More have made it a whole weekend event!

Reviewed on 10/16/2015 Meghan C

The Red Barn was the perfect venue for our wedding. We got married on a rainy chilly October day, Mike McKenna and his team at the Red Barn pulled out all the stops to make sure that while it wasn't the wedding day we originally envisioned, that it was still the wedding day of... Read More our dreams. They really worked hard to ensure that my husband and I were just as over the moon with getting married inside the barn instead of outside under the tree and they succeeded. The barn, the deck, the food, the service, the staff, the decor and so much more were superb. The venue is everything you see in photos, on the onsite tour and more, but what really made the day was the service of The Red Barn staff, especially Mike. I don't know what we would have done without them. I could not recommend a more beautiful and perfect venue.

Reviewed on 10/12/2015

Our daughter's wedding at the Red Barn at Hampshire College, October 11, 2015 could not have been more perfect -- beautiful -- with amazing food (best ever at any wedding we've ever been to! -- fairy tale like experience! Absolutely recommend it!

Reviewed on 9/20/2015 Genna V

We had our wedding at the Red Barn at the end of July 2015 in Amherst, MA. It was a wonderful experience! The venue is gorgeous! The weather worked out just perfectly, and we had the ceremony by the tree, cocktail hour on the deck, and dinner and dancing inside the barn. We... Read More worked with Mike McKenna as our wedding coordinator, and he was an absolute professional, answering every possible question we had and working with us to set up the perfect day. He helped us troubleshoot a few challenging logistics, and was able to accommodate our every need. We met with him in person at the tasting and again the day before the wedding to run through the layout and plan for the day. Mike also helped us come up with a rainy-day plan as well (but the weather held up!). The staff was wonderful, very kind, unobtrusive, and quick to ask if they could get us anything. We were able to start setting up early in the day, and had friends and family stop by and help out. The food was great as well! We had the mushrooms/polenta and the flank steak with gorgonzola cheese as our mains. All of our guests said wonderful things about the experience. We cannot recommend the Red Barn enough!

Reviewed on 8/16/2015

The Red Barn is an amazing venue with great service and great people. Barbara and her team did an amazing job of working with us and understanding what we wanted in a wedding and executed every detail to perfection. Not only were we 100% satisfied, our guests were as well. We... Read More received so many comments about how beautiful the venue was, how amazing the food was, and the staff acted with the utmost professionalism. I wish we could go back and experience this night again but if you are looking for a truly amazing wedding night, you should not pass up the opportunity to experience The Red Barn.

Reviewed on 8/14/2015 Maren L

We couldn't have chosen a better place for our special day. The venue was beautiful, the service was great and our coordinator Samantha did an amazing job for us. She was accommodating and professional throughout the whole process and the day of she made the day stress free... Read More for everyone. She was so easy to work with and so helpful. I will definitely use this venue again for my next wedding :) haha...

Reviewed on 7/31/2015

After searching places after places I knew the red barn was going to be our 1 # choice. My husband and i just fell in love with it,from the fields of tall grass the mountains and that stunning oak tree to the inside of the barn, wow absolutely gorgeous!! We are completely happy... Read More we got married there and if we had to do it again we would because the place is absolutely romantic. We just got married on July 19 ,2015 ❤ PS: not were we the only ones happy with the place but our family and friends loved it too and had a blast. Thank you!! Mr & Mrs Morse