The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs

Chester Springs, PA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs is located in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, about an hour outside of Philadelphia. In addition to being a truly beautiful place, The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs is rich in history. It was originally built around 1750 and served as a colonial inn and tavern where George Washington once slept. Later, it was as an orphanage for children of Civil War soldiers. In the early twentieth century, the Washington at Historic Yellow Springs functioned as a dormitory and dining hall for students of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.

The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs offers both indoor and outdoor event spaces. Most couples choose to have their ceremony outside in The Ruins and their reception in The Main Room.

The Ruins. The Ruins is a verdant oasis, ideal for your ceremony. Here you can exchange your vows in front a stone wall and lush forest. The Ruins, which once served as a Revolutionary War hospital, features a beautiful fountain that your loved ones can gather around while they watch you complete your union. The Ruins provides endless photo opportunities for both history and nature lovers.

The Main Room. The Main Room measures more than 2,000 square feet and can accommodate 150 seated guests. This space features a high ceiling, polished wood floors and a cozy fireplace. Large windows and elegant chandeliers provide an inviting glow, while customizable lights and a spotlight accent your celebration. While the Main Room maintains its revolutionary charm, it also has air conditioning to help keep you and your guests cool. In addition to the Main Room, there are two smaller rooms, which can be used as a separate space for your wedding party or a reception space for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.

The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs offers two separate dressing areas for the couple to use. The bridal suite is located on the second floor and the groom’s changing room is on the first floor. Each space offers a neat little area for you to relax and get ready before the big event.

The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs offers event coordination services and will help you organize the vendors of your choosing. Setup and cleanup are included in the site fee as well as tables, china, glassware, flatware and linens. The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs offers you exclusive use of the venue during your wedding.

The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs offers a few additional perks including:

• Champagne toast
  • Signature drink
  • Lawn games
  • Hiking Trails
  • Parking

Come and Celebrate at the Springs!

Choose a village that truly feels like another place in another time. Our buildings and grounds provide a wide variety of unique backdrops for your ceremony, pictures and reception. The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs provides an indoor venue true to its 18thC roots with 21stC comforts.

Historic Venue

1685 Art School Road, Chester Springs, PA (610) 827-7414
INSTAGRAM

The Perfect Venue and Coordinator!

Reviewed on 6/02/2015

The Washington at Yellow Springs is the most beautiful and unique venue in the Philly burbs! A beautiful building filled with history, good energy and immaculate upkeep, it was easy for us to choose the Washington as our wedding venue with no hesitation. A quarter of the... Read More way through the planning process, there was a change in event coordinators and the transition was flawless. Allie, the current event coordinator, picked our plans right up as if she was there planning from the beginning. This was just the start of what turned out to be a perfect event. Allie is professional, talented, accomodating and truly loves her job at The Washington. On a day where things can get tense and sometimes stressful, Allie's calm disposition and swift execution are just what it takes to make a successful coordinator and smooth running wedding day. Any problem that arose with our other vendors, Allie was right there to correct it and put me at ease. She was supportive from start to finish. Allie is amazing at what she does. She is organized, kind and patient and I highly recommend The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs to anyone looking for a gorgeous wedding venue with the perfect event coordinator.

For indoor and outdoor ambience The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs cannot be beat!

Reviewed on 10/24/2013

As the parents of the groom, we were not involved in choosing The Washington; yet we would have selected it if our wonderful son and daughter-in-law had not done so. The outside setting offers numerous places for creative pictures or for quiet meandering. Inside is comfortable,... Read More with the Bride's Room and rest rooms and dining on one floor to accommodate older or physically limited guests. All in all, our experience was pleasant, fun, and felt very "weddingly".

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Allie D

From the minute we arrived on the grounds of the Historic Yellow Springs, we knew that the place had captured our hearts. An 18th-Century manor with stone structures dating to the Revolutionary War, it has all of the charm that we could ever ask for in a wedding venue; nature,... Read More history, coziness and warmth. We did not need to see another venue after this one. On the day of the event, the Yellow Springs’ staff was very attentive to our needs and willing to adjust at a moment’s notice when our plans changed. We were grateful for everything that Jen (and Brittany) did for us! Everyone at this venue was unbelievable friendly and helpful. The Yellow Springs will always have a special place in our hearts.

Reviewed on 7/19/2016 Lindsey K

This venue is absolutely stunning. My husband and I fell in love with it as soon as we toured it. It has everything you are looking for if you want a historic, rustic, classy, and characteristic venue. We loved the fact that it has a "man cave" as well as a beautiful bridal... Read More suite. There is also a "Plan B" space that is also pretty, should we have had rain cancel our plans. We chose the fountain as our ceremony site and had a musician duo playing. It was absolutely picture perfect. After the ceremony, we gathered for family pictures in front of the beautiful historic Washington and then got to enjoy cocktail hour in the Brick Room and also outside in the walkway space. Bernadette Duffy is absolutely amazing and will work extremely hard to give you exactly what you want for your wedding day. She is such a professional and works seemlessly with the venue's coordinators as well. Our reception was held in the Washington and the decor, the flowers, the venue, everything was perfect. The dance floor was packed all night long and the guests kept telling us what a wonderful space it was. I would recommend this venue to anyone-- we loved every minute of our day!

Reviewed on 3/14/2016 Matthew K

​The Washington was everything my husband and I had ever dreamed of and so much more. When we got engaged, we knew we wanted something unique, something us, someplace no one had ever been. We wanted our guests to walk into our venue and say 'WOW this is so Matt and Erin.'... Read More Mission accomplished! This was our one and only venue we toured. From the gorgeous courtyard where we were married, to the ruins where we took pictures, to the gorgeous reception space with its stunning original hardwoods and beautiful chandlers, it was everything we had hoped to find. Working with Allie was a dream - she transitioned out right before our wedding but their current venue manager, Brittany was absolutely wonderful and picked up where Allie left off seamlessly. Getting ready that day was so wonderful thanks to the beautiful bridal suite and my hubby-to-be was thrilled to have the grooms suite. We had viewed several online that provided no where for him to get ready - it's his day too! That was a must for us. Our guests loved wandering the property during cocktail hour and could not get over how beautiful The Washington is. We could not have asked for a more perfect day or a more perfect venue. I wish I could do it all over again!

2016-03-21T15:29:01 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Erin! It was such a pleasure working with you and Matt on your beautiful day!

Beautiful wedding venue

Reviewed on 10/08/2015 Adriana M

Our daughter and son in law chose this venue for their September wedding and we could not have been more pleased. The outdoor wedding was by the ruins of an old hospital, set at the top of a hill. The reception was held inside the Washington and thanks to the wonderful staff... Read More (Allie, a special thanks for all your hard work), it went off without a glitch. All of our guests said they had not been to such a beautiful place for a wedding before and we agree!

Reviewed on 7/18/2015

This is a gorgeous venue. We were married mid May 2015, under the tree. Allie was our coordinator and she was wonderful to work with. She was accommodating, professional, and patient with all our questions. She answered emails quickly, which is really helpful when you are... Read More contacting multiple vendors multiple times. We really can't say enough about Allie and this location. The ruins, gardens, and historic building made for a gorgeous backdrop for our photos. The other great thing about this location is the ability to choose your caterer. They have preferred caterers to choose from so you are not locked into the price or offerings of just one. The proximity to area hotels is also a great plus. You get the quiet and privacy of Historic Yellow Springs with the convenience of Exton's hotels. It was a short ten minute shuttle ride for our guests to get to and from The Washington.

Parent of the Bride

Reviewed on 5/25/2015 f c

My daughter was married at Yellow Springs on May 9, 2015. The venue is absoutely beautiful. The grounds are well kept amd lush with greenery. The ceremony was held around the fountain, the cocktail hour up the hill by the ruins and the reception inside. Allie, the event... Read More coordinator, was friendly, very professional, organized and attentive to all the details of the wedding!

Reviewed on 5/21/2015 Lauren C

I had my wedding here on May 9, 2015 and it was absolutely perfect. Flowers were in bloom, grass and trees were green, and it misted in the morning but was sunny for the wedding and pictures! I highly recommend this wedding venue. It's beautiful and rustic and Allie, the... Read More events manager, is excellent. She answered all of my emails and calls for over a year and responded so fast. She was very helpful with the rehearsal and knowing where everyone should stand and telling us when to walk. Allie even called all of my other vendors the week of to go over the logistics. I do recommend HYS create a fact sheet for all of the frequently asked questions. I'm sure brides are all asking the same things. We had the ceremony at the fountain and cocktail hour by the ruins and big tree. I recommend that option as it was really fun for the guests to see the beautiful venue and spread out a little. The venue is affordable compared to other places. 150 people is the max and we had 120. I'm glad we didn't have very many more as we had a band and DJ plus a big dance floor. I would think 130 is comfortable. 150 would require the removal of tables for dancing or all round tables. Only negative is there are not any hotels less than 15 minutes away, but we used the Sheraton and their shuttle bus. We also paid an extra $500 to have a 6 hour event instead of 5. Well worth it. I used Jimmy Duffy's Catering from the preferred vendor list. You also have to pay them an extra $900 to stay for 6 hours instead of 5. The food was great and the cheapest option compared to other approved vendors. However, I don't feel that I received great customer service from Duffy's, but that's for another review. Lastly, the groundskeeper at HYS works very hard to prep the outside for weddings. She was mowing the lawn, cleaning the fountain, etc. She even gave my parents a tour when they showed up unannounced the day before the wedding to check it out. Be aware the venue did get really hot at the reception. The building may not have AC or fans. It was May 9, so I never thought to ask about air conditioning. But this year it was in the 80s instead of the normal 70s. I would definitely choose Historic Yellow Springs if I had to rewind time and do it again!

2015-06-01T13:20:25 Response from the vendor

Thank you Lauren! I'm so glad that you had a great experience with us... it was a pleasure working with you as well. Congratulations again to you and Steve!

The most beautiful venue!

Reviewed on 1/13/2015 Erica R

I was married at the Washington in October 2014. My husband and I looked at at least 10 places between Philadelphia and Lancaster: private homes, BnB's, rustic venues. We did not want our wedding day to feel contrived or inauthentic. Instead, our hope was to have a big,... Read More beautiful dinner party with a ceremony mixed in. We immediately fell in love with the Washington the moment we visited the property. Our family, friends, and photographers did too! Of note: the secret garden feel of the lush grounds, the convenience of beautiful bride & groom suites, a variety of gorgeous ceremony sites, and the understated class of reception area- all at one location. Also, we really love that our rental fee went to a community organization like Historic Yellow Springs.

Perfect Venue for the Perfect Day!

Reviewed on 10/09/2014 Colleen G

As soon as we took a tour and walked around the grounds of the Washington at Historic Yellow Springs, we knew it was the perfect place for us to get married! It's rustic, the grounds are maintained beautifully and it's full of awesome history. It's a rare gem that not enough... Read More people know about! The events manager, Allie was a dream to work with--so flexible, knowledgeable and easy going. She was always there to answer my questions and to offer solutions to every problem that would pop up. On the wedding day, she was there working seamlessly with the other vendors to make sure our wedding went off without a hitch (which it did!). On the actual wedding day, it was basically pouring all day (we were planning on getting married outside!) and we were allowed to wait until the last minute to make the call. Well, it stopped raining about a half an hour before the ceremony and we ended up getting married outside just like we planned! We had our reception inside and it was absolutely beautiful! The room just glowed and it was the perfect amount of space for us. If we could do it all over again (and we wish that we could!) we would choose this venue any day of the week!

Beautiful despite the rain

Reviewed on 7/24/2014 Hillary S

After exhausting our venue searches for beautiful or acceptable locations in DE, I turned to theknot.com to help me try to find somewhere close for our wedding. When we saw the pictures of The Washington, we were so excited to visit. We had our initial site visit with Eileen and... Read More new flowers had just been planted, so it was less than we hoped, but the inside was gorgeous and had so much history we decided to go with it anyway. A few months later, we did a surprise visit (the day before Callie's wedding) and the grounds were beautiful. The new flowers had taken wonderfully and we knew they'd be fantastic by our wedding. Callie responded to all of my emails timely and was always so helpful. She was a delight! We loved the site so much, we had our engagement photos taken there in the spring and they turned out so great! We were looking forward to re-staging some of them on the wedding day. The day before our wedding, we were able to drop off our supplies and we met the grounds supervisor, Andy. She was also great and told us what she'd have done before our rehearsal that evening and what would be completed before the wedding to make everything look its best. You could tell that she loved the venue and the area. Eileen was there in the evening for the rehearsal and even let us back into the building so we could do my "Plan B." Since rain was forecasted, Eileen made a point of asking me if I'd be ok with an indoor wedding. Sadly, right after our rehearsal, it began to rain heavily through the night and into the morning and then it turned terribly humid. We opted to move the wedding inside and used the Great Hall as our wedding site as well as our reception hall. Eileen, the DJ, and the caterer worked to make the inside just as beautiful for our ceremony. Because the front of the hurricane was coming in, we did lose power very briefly, but it seemed more like someone had accidentally flipped the light switch. It actually made the room look romantic with the candles on the tables and in the windows. We were informed that the building does have a backup generator, so the "show would go on." They were also quick to get us our security deposit back. We look forward to visiting them again in the future.

Historic Yellow Springs - A Picture Perfect Wedding

Reviewed on 6/21/2014 Robin K

Choosing the wedding venue was the most exciting (and easiest) part of planning my wedding. The setting is charming and rustic, but the venue also offers the basics you need to make sure you and your wedding guests are comfortable - an indoor reception area (with AC), plenty of... Read More bathroom space, a spacious bridal suite, and onsite parking. There are multiple beautiful spaces to have an outdoor ceremony (and for pictures!) The venue is affordable and Callie (the event manager) was kind, flexible, and helpful. My guests all commented on the beauty and charm at Yellow Springs. I could not recommend this venue more!

The Washington is fabulous!

Reviewed on 5/28/2014 Beth H

We could not have hoped for a better venue for our November 2013 wedding. The Washington is picture-perfect (especially with the foliage in late fall!), the price was very affordable, and the ballroom comfortably sat our 60+ guests with plenty of room for dancing. The best part... Read More is Callie, the event coordinator. She is a joy to work with. She is friendly, attentive, thoughtful, and a true professional. She and Laurey from Perfect Setting, one of the Washington's recommended caterers, worked together brilliantly to make sure that our big day was truly perfect. From the first day that we toured the venue, Callie had great suggestions and answered every question. We cannot recommend it highly enough!

Wedding at the washington

Reviewed on 10/23/2013 Ellen B

I was part of a beautiful wedding at the Washington this fall. The venue is amazing and staff were efficient and polite. I would totally recommend this venue for a rustic, country chic,wedding.

Beautiful Venue! Awesome wedding coordinator!

Reviewed on 10/22/2013 cassidy b

Amazing venue and wonderful event coordinator, Callie McGlone! This was the first venue on our list to visit and our decision to book it for our wedding was apparent right away! It was everything we wanted and more in a wedding venue. We fell in love the rustic and historical... Read More charm of the building from inside and out. The historical grounds of the venue are absolutely beautiful where we captured so many lovely photos on our fall wedding day. The venue TRULY speaks for itself when visited! As for Callie McGlone - She was fantastic! She was always so prompt with any questions or concerns we had and a pleasure to work with. She assisted with our wedding ceremony, which was on site in the courtyard outside, and coordinated a great flow throughout the entire day. I have nothing but great things to say about this venue and the coordinator!!

The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs - Absolutely Perfect

Reviewed on 10/18/2013 Jonah Delso

When we first started searching for venues, we decided to drive by Yellow Springs, just to scope it out. The moment we saw the beautiful historical architecture and gardens, we knew it was our place. The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs offered us everything we imagined... Read More and more: a perfect tucked away location, a large indoor memorable space (with heating+A/C!), beautiful outdoor scenery, and the ability to customize our wedding any way we wanted. Our ceremony was held up the hill near the "ruins." This is where a hospital once sat that housed patients of the revolutionary and civil wars. We were astounded at how the rocky foundation area was turned into an elegant herb garden, where our guests enjoyed pre-ceremony refreshments. It provided a perfect backdrop to our ceremony under the big welcoming beach tree. We were able to comfortably fit 150 guests in a warm, intimate, amphitheater-style setting. Our friends and family enjoyed a cocktail hour in the fountain-courtyard area. Since all of our wedding party photos were taken on site, we were able to get them done very quickly and get back to our party. Our photographer reveled in the many different settings of Yellow Springs: the herb garden, the natural springs, the gazebo, the studio barn, the many porches... so many backdrops! The Washington provided a truly magnificent space for our reception, and was all the rave of our friends and family. We themed the darker "brick room" as a country-style speakeasy. Our flowers and decorations in the main hall shined in the window sills, on the mantle, and on our tabletops. While we were swept away by the style, comfort, and warmth of the Washington, we learned that it also holds so much of our nation's history. The staff at Yellow Springs knocked our wedding out of the park. Anyone who attended will tell you this is an absolutely perfect place for family and friends to gather. It would be a huge mistake to not go see Historic Yellow Springs!

Historic Yellow Springs - Beauty, Character, and Enjoyment!!!

Reviewed on 7/31/2013 Ashley B

I'm not sure how they do it for such a reasonable price, but Historic Yellow Springs is a magical place to get married. Callie is amazing and fun to work with, offering so many helpful tips along the way. We had the best wedding day...getting married in a beautiful garden... Read More with a fountain, getting pictures on the gorgeous premises, enjoying a cocktail hour on the long, open front porch/patio, eating and dancing in such an elegant ballroom...it felt like a dream! We highly recommend Historic Yellow Springs to anyone who wants to give their guests a truly memorable and delightful experience for their wedding!

One of Philadelphia's best kept secrets...history, charm and ambiance

Reviewed on 5/24/2013 Danielle F

My husband and I were looking for a unique venue where we could have our ceremony outdoors and or reception on-site. We looked at several farms and arboretums, but all of them seemed to require a lot of rental equipment and expense to create the day we had in mind. We were... Read More pleasantly surprised when we came across Historic Yellow Springs. It was 5 miles from our home, has incredible outdoor spaces and the perfect setting in the Washington building to host our entire day all at one location! We were able to choose our caterer and rental company and all of our vendors. Callie, the event manager, was wonderful and a true professional. She checked in with us regularly, kept us up to date on the property and improvements that were being made leading up to our big day. She walked through with our vendors and made herself completely available to us for anything we needed. My sister continues to rave about how helpful she was on the day of our wedding and what a great place we chose to celebrate our wedding day. We did a walk through with our photographers the weekend before the wedding to check out lighting and the spots that would be best for photos and staging the event. They were thrilled and kept saying this venue is a photographers dream location. I can not wait to see our pictures! We saw some previews on the night of our wedding and the backdrop is just spectacular. We had our ceremony at sunset in the ruins and all of our guests have commented on just how beautiful it was as a setting for a wedding. We did our first look by the big old tree next to the ruins! The Washington Building was such a great combination of history, charm and ambiance. We were able to do everything on site. Our hair stylist and make up artists met us at the bridal suite and all of my girls hung out before the festivities, relaxed and without the stress of coordinating getting everyone from point A to B to C and D that day. Our photographers were there with us to capture every moment and we were able to get all of our family/bridal party photos done before the ceremony so that we could get the party started right away. Our wedding day was a day we will always remember and cherish and Historic Yellow Springs will always be a special place for us to visit in the future together. At a tremendous value, it may just be one of Philadelphia's best kept secrets.

Fabulous, affordable, unique venue in Chester, PA

Reviewed on 12/17/2012 Christina C

WHAT a find this place was. We had a last minute [three months til our wedding] venue disaster and had to book another one, immediately. I can tell you that finding something affordable, pretty, local, AND lets you use your own vendors? Next to impossible, especially with only... Read More three months notice. But this little place is amazing. HYS is a historic village that George Washington visited during the Revolutionary War. Ruins of 300+ year old hospital and all original buildings still standing/usable. The grounds are gorgeous and while only 3 miles from the turnpike, you can't even hear cars. Can't say enough about the staff, namely Callie, who was incredibly helpful and sweet about everything. She was there for the entire wedding and stayed until the very last guest [including one or two who slept in their cars] left that night around 12-1am. Can't say enough about this gorgeous, unique venue.

Fabulous, affordable, unique venue in Chester, PA

Reviewed on 12/17/2012 Christina C

Chester County Charm

Reviewed on 7/12/2012 Marissa R

The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs is the perfect venue for a beautiful Chester County wedding. It's history and charm provides a stunning backdrop for a memorable event. The Washington offers a reception site with newly rennovated hard wood floors, chandelier lights, a... Read More comfortable bridal suite and a large patio and brick room perfect for cocktail hour. The site also contains a courtyard that makes a great cermony location and stone ruins that are perfect for pictures that will last a lifetime. Not only is The Washington a beautful place for a wedding, but it also has an amazing staff. They are more than willing to work with you to make all of your wedding dreams come true. So if you are looking for a beautiful wedding site and an amazing staff, check out The Washington for your very speical and memorable day.

A perfect wedding site!

Reviewed on 7/06/2012 marsha s

My daughter grew up half a mile from Historic Yellow Springs, so we were thrilled to be able to have her wedding there. The Washington at HYS has undergone a brilliant renovation while retaining its historic charm. The intimate Rosato Garden, with its fountain, is a lovely... Read More site for a ceremony. Because we chose July 4 as a wedding date, it was important to have air conditioned space, too, and the interior of the Washington was beautifully cool and comfortable on a 90+ degree day. The oldest part of the building dates from the 1740's with a fireplace and brick floors; the large room, which dates from about the 1830's, has deep-silled windows and a fireplace which give it a lovely elegance. A caterer's kitchen got kudos from my caterer, and the "bride's room," where we prepped for the ceremony, was more than comfortable. (two new bathrooms were added during the renovation, bringing the total to 4.) Callie McGlone, the events planner at HYS was most efficient, and calls and emails were returned promptly, even when she was on vacation! Our wedding was 'sophisticated country' and HYS was perfectly suited to the casual elegance we were seeking. Thanks to all at HYS who made our day so memorable!