Turtle's 1890 Social Centre

Shakopee, MN

Book Your Wedding with Turtle's 1890 Social Centre

A BALLROOM IN SHAKOPEE, MN

Located in downtown Shakopee, Minnesota, Turtle's 1890 Social Centre is a historic and elegant venue for wedding ceremonies and receptions. Its history traces back to 1890 when it was first built and was used often for meetings. In 1999, the building was renovated while maintaining its original charm. Modern amenities include a professional light and sound system, as well as a 10-foot TV. The venue can be a great one-stop shop for those seeking a simple planning process. Turtle's 1890 Social Centre is an excellent option for couples wishing for a historic and elegant venue that works with their budgets.

The venue is basically one room, which includes a permanent full bar made of African mahogany. With high ceilings, wooden pillars and beautiful tin-paneled ceilings, the space offers a classic sophistication. There is a wall of exposed brick, which brings forth a lovely vintage vibe. It can accommodate up to 250 guests. There are some industrial lights that hang from the ceiling and the floor is beautifully patterned. Because the space is already well-decorated, additional decor is not necessary.

The room can be flipped for those who would like to hold the ceremony and reception on-site. Catering is provided by the venue and outside caterers are not allowed. Cake and favors, however, can be contracted elsewhere. There is a food and beverage minimum during Saturdays. This is going to equate to roughly 130 guests eating at a two-meat buffet and beverage purchases.

All outside decor must be pre-approved. Rice, glitter and confetti are not allowed, save a cleaning fee. Bands and DJs can be brought in and there is a large stage area to accommodate them. All staffing, including kitchen staff and management staff, works in conjunction to pull off the important wedding day. In addition, the venue rental includes tables, chairs and linens. All flatware and china are provided with the catering. For the reception, a cake cutting, bar and dance floor are included. Last but not least, the staff takes care of all of the setup and cleanup.

Turtle's 1890 Social Centre offers several extra perks. Important for couples seeking personalized attention, the venue's owner is involved in the planning process for weddings. Couples have found the owner to be highly helpful and accommodating. There is free parking available in a lot across from Turtle's 1890 Social Centre.

Elegance and charm in a late 1800s treasure!

**Ask about "The Knot Special" for $100 off room fees for 2017 Friday receptions!** Turtle's 1890 Social Centre is a state-of-the-art banquet facility from yesteryear. From the old tin ceiling and 125-year-old brick, to the dark mahogany woodwork, the room is a sight to behold! You'll be working directly with the owner on your reception plans to ensure your day is perfect!

Ballroom, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

112 South Lewis Street, Shakopee, MN (952) 445-5050

Reviewed on 6/15/2016

Turtle's 1890 Social Centre was a perfect fit for our daughter and son in-law's wedding reception 6/11/16! It had everything they were looking for and then some... This venue did not disappoint! Bryan was wonderful to work with from day one and his entire staff was so helpful... Read More and caring, which made everything enjoyable. The venue was spotless, unique, and affordable; the food was fantastic...only compliments from our guests; and Bryan and his staff are top notch (helpful and kind)! Our daughter found this venue on theknot.com and we are so thankful she did! Please do not over look this venue when searching for a wonderful place to host your wedding reception or special gathering!

Reviewed on 8/20/2016 Mallory H

We could not have asked for a better place to hold our wedding reception. Bryan makes the whole experience so easy. He is familiar with other wedding venders in the area and helped us find our ceremony space at Huber Park. Other venues up charge for every little thing, but... Read More Bryan includes everything you need in the room rental fee. Bryan is also a huge craft beer fan and we had a great time choosing our beer selection with him. The space is beautiful, the food was phenomenal and the entire staff was very impressive. We are so happy we chose to have our reception at Turtle's.

a hidden treasure!

Reviewed on 6/16/2014 Mary T

We used Turtle's 1890 social Centre for our wedding in June 2014 and cannot reccomend it highly enough. We searched for venues forever trying to find something both (a) affordable and (b) beautiful (we didn't want to spend a ton of money on jazzing up a less-than-picturesque... Read More venue). We stumbled upon Turtles, contacted Bryan, the manager in charge of weddings, and we were set from there. Bryan was extremely helpful, honest, and knowledgeable, and did everything to accommodate our wants along with our budget. He's a really nice, honest guy, and put our needs first (rather than making it easier or more profitable for himself). As for the venue, Turtle's is absolutely gorgeous! It has an old-world feel (beautiful ceilings, exposed brick walls, mohagony bar/pillars, etc.) that made decorating really unnecessary. The day-of staff at Turtles were EXTREMELY helpful and flexible as well- it was raining so we had to move our wedding indoors, and the staff made a ceremony area with chairs and an aisle with only a few hours notice. They handled everything throughout the night (food, drinks, setting up, communicating with our DJ, etc.) so that we could just relax and enjoy our wedding/reception. Can't recommend Turtle's enough!!

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Jenelle B

Bryan & Barb did an amazing job. Bryan was always available through e-mail and would get back to me with any of my questions within 1-2 days. The day of the reception Barb did a fantastic job making sure everything was running smoothly and helped me make decisions based on time... Read More and number of guests attending. They definitely made the day less stressful. The venue itself is beautiful and it worked wonderfully with my decor. I would definitely recommend Turtle's for a reception venue. All of my guests loved the food and are still talking about it as well. We did have one guest that was gluten free and they had no problem accommodating that person. Overall a beautiful venue within a reasonable price range with amazing food!

Reviewed on 5/27/2017 Katie N

I couldn't have asked for a better place to hold our reception. Bryan, the owner, was phenomenal; he worked with me, an out-of-town bride, on all the details via email/phone or with my mother, who was in town. He accommodated my travel schedule so I could do a food tasting, and... Read More he went above and beyond to ensure that we could install a wall of lights behind the head table. The room itself is gorgeous - a large brick wall, vintage tin ceilings, and a long mahogany bar gave my reception the ambiance I was looking for. The head of maintenance assisted my parents in hanging the wall of lights and even made some suggestions and alterations to ensure it stayed in place. I could write a page about the food itself, but I'll leave it at AMAZING. And Barb, the person who coordinated the reception the day of, was extremely capable, organized, and thoughtful. No detail was overlooked, and all of the thanks for the perfect reception go to her, the cooks, the serving team, and Bryan. The prices were also very reasonable; I cannot recommend the venue and its value highly enough.

Reviewed on 2/20/2017 Heidi D

Turtles is one of a kind. We had our wedding reception there 9/2016 and it was awesome - we were pleased and honored to Turtles and staff a part of our special day. We rec'd many kind words and compliments from family and friends on the professionalism and responsiveness of... Read More the staff and the food was delicious. Bryan was great from day 1. He is easy to work with and breaks down the reception planning in an experienced and organized way.

Reviewed on 11/26/2016 Briana A

I cannot say enough good things about this venue! Bryan made the whole process super easy. He definitely knows what he is doing and so does his entire staff. The food was also hands down the best food I've had at a wedding or other large event and as you can see from the info... Read More above, a bargain! This venue has everything going for it from looks to food to staff. If you want to make your day easier, I highly suggest booking Turtle's!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Lindsey W

I recently was married on Friday the 28th of October. We had a appetizer buffet which was affordable for our 195+guests. Many guests raved that the food was not only delicious, but there was plenty of it. The venue is in a great location for friends and family to easily commute... Read More to. The room rental price included many things for such a great price and there were never any hidden fees. Bryan made the whole processes easy and painless! I would highly recommend this venue to any future brides.

Reviewed on 9/07/2016 Sara A

Turtle's was amazing! The food was fantastic and the service was spectacular! Our guests had a great time and that's all I could ask for!

Reviewed on 9/05/2016 Bethany T

While there wasn't a lot of glitz and glamor (not what we were looking for), the space is spacious, accommodating, and inviting. It had a revived 20's feel with an all wood wall sized bar, stamped ceiling, with brick and timber. While at the wedding, all of our needs were met... Read More by their staff without us needing to ask for anything. Their pricing is hard to beat. They cut our cake at no charge and they provided coffee at no charge. We did have to provide bistro tables and clothes because they didn't have any. This wasn't a big deal as we were notified well in advance. If we ever had an event of substantial size, we would go to Turtle's in a heart beat.

Reviewed on 6/29/2016 Alexandrine D

I had an amazing experience working with Brian at Turtle's! He was so clear when initially giving my then fiancΓ© and I information and was very available to answer any questions I had as the planning went along. The food was fabulous, being a vegetarian I wanted some options... Read More that were not on a typical wedding menu and the chef was open to making whatever I recommended. Brian totally respected my budget and worked with us to make our wedding wonderful and still within our means. The venue itself is gorgeous with the wood and brick, you can truly decorate it as much or as little as you want. My now husband and I were happy with our experience!

Reviewed on 6/04/2016

Absolutely amazing venue! Can't say enough good things about Bryan and his co-worker Barb who helped us out on the night of. Throughout the planning process Bryan was very helpful and responsive to any and all questions we had and on the night of Barb was incredible at making... Read More sure things ran smoothly. The pricing of everything at the venue was also wonderful, it made it possible for us to have a great night with 200 of our closest family and friends at a price that didn't make us cringe too much.

Reviewed on 6/03/2016 Stephanie R

The best experience we have ever had! We got married 5/28/16 & it was the most perfect day! Bryan is the most easy going owner of such a great restaurant! He has a very attentive staff that would do whatever they could to make sure we had the best night possible. One thing that... Read More we really liked was that they don't overcharge you for anything & are very reasonably priced for being in the metro! Kudo's to Barb for making it such an awesome experience for us also, she is the best!!! It's a must see!!!!

Reviewed on 5/31/2016 Holly M

If you are getting married and looking for a wedding reception venue, make sure to check this place out! I loved the vibe of the brick, vintage feel. Bryan Turtle was amazing to work with, he is extremely chill and flexible when it comes to making last minute plans! We chose an... Read More appetizer menu for food and it was absolutely delicious! Guests raved about the food, and definitely went for seconds. We were able to have our own sweet and salty bar as well. Not to mention, you definitely cannot complain about the prices. The sound and lights for the dance floor were great as well and we had fun dancing away the night! If I had any complaints, I wasn't impressed with our bartender for the night. She wasn't very friendly and she didn't smile much. Everyone else was amazing!!!

Reviewed on 5/23/2016 Dee B

The Turtle's team nailed it! The venue was beautiful, the food amazing, and the team was flawless. From our first meeting with Bryan we could tell this man knows what he is talking about. It is not his first rodeo for sure! We used exactly what he predicted in that first... Read More meeting. We did a tasting, everything was delicious. We chose exactly what he said we would (stuffed chicken and roast beef). They don't nickel and dime you to death. He gives a fair price for top tier service and food. He was there in the morning when we arrived, made sure we were all set, and was there throughout dinner ensuring things were great. This is not an absentee owner who doesn't care. He takes his responsibility seriously and takes better care of the event than your own mother would. Bryan tells you that he and his team will do everything they can to make it all perfect and they deliver a thousand times over. We heard nothing but compliments from our guests on the food. We got rave reviews on the prime rib (we didn't have prime rib - the roast beef was so tender people thought it was!). Chefs Ron and Danny were awesome. Special dietary needs are no issue at all. Bryan's right hand gal Barb is a treasure. She keeps things flowing smoothly and consults on anything relevant as needed. She is amazingly talented at making everything run smoothly. She was a calming presence and I trusted her with all the important details. When we ordered pizzas late at night she told me to do 8. Looking around the room I didn't think that would be near enough, but decided she does this more than me. 😊. She created the mix and it was perfect. It all went and we didn't have leftovers or anyone wanting more. Our bartenders (Suz and Kortney) were kept busy by our friends and family and they were phenomenal. Efficient, friendly and fun too! If you go anywhere else you are over paying and will not come close to the quality we received. There is no reason to look further. This is THE south metro wedding venue! Thanks to all at Turtles for the best day we could have ever had. You rocked the weather too!! πŸ˜‰

So glad I was able to have my wedding and reception here

Reviewed on 12/22/2015 Jessica L

Bryan and his team at Turtle's did am amazing job in helping us make our day a memorable, stress free one. We had so many comments on how wonderful the food and venue were. For the budget minded couple this is a diamond in the rough. I would recommend this place to anyone!... Read More Absolutely fantastic.

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Cynthia G

My wife and I got married at Turtles in October of 2015 and we were extremely impressed and would highly recommend this as a site for your wedding. The Turtles Staff is incredible, taking every step to ensure your wishes for the day are executed on in a timely and organized... Read More fashion. They do a great job working with you to understand what you expect for the day (no matter how unique your ideas may be), and their experience shows in the smoothness with which the day goes. The food was excellent and numerous guests at our wedding commented on the quality, portion sizes, and the temperature of the meals as being top notch. The venue itself is beautiful for a reception and ceremony and from a value standpoint I have never worked with a team of people who are so focused on meeting your budgetary and timeline expectations for the day. For those that are looking for a beautiful, reasonably priced location in the Twin Cities- Turtles is a great place for your wedding day! - Jim & Cindy

Reviewed on 9/27/2015 Danielle J

Everything about Turtle's 1890 Social Centre is AMAZING! Bryan was fantastic to work with and was very dedicated to making sure everything was perfect for us. He was always on top of everything from the planning the the day of details. Chef Ron has outdone himself! This was... Read More the best wedding food I've ever had and I've heard nothing but outstanding comments from our guests about the food as well. We had the two-meat buffet (Roast Beef and Stuffed Chicken Breast) and everything was great! The unique character about this venue makes decorating so easy because you don't have to overdo it because it has it's own ambiance about the place. The room fee here covers so many things that other venues charge extra for so that saves you money. I can't say enough positive things about Turtle's. If you haven't checked it out yet, you really should!

Reviewed on 9/08/2015 Rachel L

I can not say enough good things about Bryan and everyone else at Turtles. He was so easy to work with, accommodating when it came to pretty much anything we wanted and got back to us right away through either email or phone. He truly made everything stress free. We had a Friday... Read More reception with about 80??? people (still haven't counted everyone from the guest book) and opted to do appetizers and drinks. I was a nervous bride so unfortunately didn't get to try any of the food but I had people stopping me all night telling me how amazing it was. Some of the best food they have had at a reception. Everyone especially loved the chicken satay,steak bites and spinach and artichoke dip :) Not only is the space beautiful (very minimal decorating needs to be done) but it is so inexpensive. Very important for someone like me who was on a strict budget. By far the greatest price out there by a long shot and again I had people telling me all night how much they loved the venue and how beautiful it looked. Also the staff were very friendly. The bartender was so pleasant and had a smile on her face the whole night. That is so important because as important as the day is to me I wanted my guests to have a great experience as well. There wasn't anything I threw at Bryan that he wasn't able to make work and I appreciate that so much! Like I said I have nothing negative to say about Turtle's 1890 Social Centre. Please give this space a look when your planning your big day. You will not be disappointed!!Thank you again to Bryan for everything!

Amazing

Reviewed on 9/06/2015

I could not have been happier with Turtle's as my reception venue choice in September of 2015! The value for the price is off the charts. The owner, Bryan, truly cares about the bride and groom having a smooth and great experience. Unlike a lot of wedding vendors who exploit the... Read More pocketbooks of couples by inflating prices simply because they know people will pay anyway to have what they want on that special day, Bryan is more than fair with all of his prices from the rental fee, to food, to drinks. He provides a lot of necessities you'd pay extra for elsewhere. He's excellent at coordinating with vendors so the day of runs smoothly and the bride/groom don't have to field questions-you'll be busy!! His experience in the business is priceless. The reception space itself is gorgeous-even better in person! You simply cannot go wrong with choosing Turtle's.

Reviewed on 8/16/2015 Alana N

Turtle's was the perfect venue for our wedding reception. The staff were fantastic, the ambiance was great, the micro brew beer was a hit, and the food was good. Bryan was great to work with - he made everything super easy. All the details were taken care of with no stress.... Read More I'd definitely host another event at Turtle's.

Wonderful experience at Turtle's

Reviewed on 8/15/2015 Audrey F

Our wedding reception was at Turtle's this July, and we couldn't have had a better experience. We are SO glad that we stumbled upon Turtle's on The Knot because it ended up being perfect for our style and our number of guests. We loved the character of the place--our decorations... Read More were simple because the hall is aesthetically pleasing on its own! Bryan is awesome to work with and was very helpful every step of the way. We always felt informed, and he never tried to rip us off by charging us for tiny things. We had a great time at our food sampling and beer sampling, both of which helped us get exactly what we wanted to serve. The food was great. We received many complements on both the food and the venue itself. Thank you, Turtle's, for helping us have a perfect evening.

Reviewed on 6/03/2015 danielle a

My fiance and I had been to a wedding reception at Turtle's way back in 2011 and when we got engaged I had my heart set on it! We planned our entire wedding around the only date they had available in May 2015! I was in love with the food, brick wall, wood and tile accents! Bryan... Read More was amazing from the beginning - so friendly and prompt in returning my phone calls and emails. We really enjoyed our tasting with Chef Ron. ALL the dishes were amazing and it was so hard to make a decision. On the day of the wedding, Bryan left us in Tammy's great hands. She was so warm and helpful in making sure we stayed on time and everything went smoothly. The rest of the serving and bar staff were great as well. We can't say enough great things about Bryan, his staff and the beautiful space! We highly recommend it and would do it all over again in a heartbeat! Thank you for making our wedding day so special for us and all our guests!

Best Wedding Venue!!

Reviewed on 5/31/2015 Beth K

I found out about this venue on The Knot when I first got engaged. From the minute that I contacted Bryan, he was a pleasure to work with. He responded to my emails very quickly and was very knowledgable about all aspects of wedding receptions. He has had a lot of experience and... Read More knew how to handle every single thing that we asked him. Planning was so easy and I was not even stressed because Bryan had everything so well organized. In addition to the easy planning, the wedding reception was amazing! Every one of our guests loved the food and Bryan and his chef, Ron, did a great job at helping us personalize our menu. We also had late night pizza and many guests complimented on how it was the best pizza they have ever had. The venue is very beautiful and has a vintage vibe to it. All of our guests loved the venue as well. I was surprised at how affordable the venue was for how amazing everything was there! We had about 200 guests and it was perfect! I would highly recommend using Turtle's 1890 Social Centre as a wedding reception!

Reviewed on 5/11/2015

Love this place! We booked our wedding and reception here for May. Bryan and crew were great to work with - gave great recommendations and best practices...and was very thorough throughout the whole process. In the off season there is no food/beverage minimum which was... Read More fantastic. The rental fee was the best around - with no hidden charges. We had a ton of compliments on the food - we did a buffet style, roast beef and stuffed chicken. Before the ceremony when our guests arrived, we had glasses of champagne with a raspberry for them - a nice touch! The staff was great and easy to work with - we had NO complaints at all. I would book this place for our wedding and reception again and recommend to anyone. You can do a slideshow as well which is nice to have or have a picture slideshow around 2 TVs at the bar run all night. The set up was nice, and the parking was good as well. Loved it at Turtle's!!!

Bryan Turtle

I have been in the food and beverage occupation for 32 years, 27 of which have been as owner/operator of my family's business, Turtle's Bar & Grill. But it wasn't until 18 years ago when we built Turtle's 1890 Social Centre that I really found my place in this industry. My wife Lisa now runs the bar & grill operation, leaving me to focus solely on marketing, booking, planning and executing wedding receptions in our very unique wedding hall, which is in a building that was built in 1890. It's as important to me as the couples I work with that everything is perfect!