U of M Matthaei Botanical Gardens

Ann Arbor, MI

Weddings Made By Nature

Set your wedding outdoors in one of our formal gardens or indoors amid the tropical setting of the Conservatory. We offer seven distinct spaces, including a fragrant Herb Garden, colorful Perennial Garden, the serene and intimate Willow Pond Island, or the summer-blooming Gateway Garden.

$$

Guest Capacity

Ballroom, Garden, Park

Rentals + Equipment

1800 N Dixboro Rd, Ann Arbor, MI

perfect for winter wedding with great help from staff

Reviewed on 1/22/2013 Lin P

I had a lovely wedding ceremony at Matthaei Botanical Gardens, not only because of the beautiful venue with lots of plantation but also the informative and professional service provided by staff there. My wedding is in winter but I wanted a lot of greens, their indoor Conservatory was perfect with plenty of tropical trees and plants. The coordinator not only provided all the information and help we need for our ceremony but also recommendations for photographer, music, flower, officiant and many more. It saved us a lot of time researching for these services. In the end, our officiant, photographer, cake and flower are all from the selected lists provided by Linda. At the ceremony, the staff at spot did everything she could to help. I can't ask for more and I'm so happy to have had my ceremony here.

Beautiful

Reviewed on 10/23/2012 Shelly M

I got married here and it was perfect for a smaller wedding. We had about 80 people and it was just right. Honestly, the ceremony felt like it was taking place in a mini Garden of Eden. Was so lovely. The accomodations are nothing fancy, but if quaint, romantic, and beautiful are what you want, then I would definately reccommend. The cost for the ceremony is $900. No receptions are held here.

Beautiful Wedding

Reviewed on 9/10/2012 Molly B

I had my wedding here, and everything happened without a hitch. Linda Neely was so helpful in our planning of the ceremony. Also if you don't have a minister, ask Linda about Tommy Burdette. He did ours and we received many comments on how personable he was, and very respectful. The weather was very warm that day, and they provided water to all the guests and complimentary umbrellas. It was beautiful, and I highly recommend this place!

Beautiful Ceremony Site, but w/ time constraints

Reviewed on 9/16/2013 Andrea J

I held my wedding at the Botanical Gardens which was a gorgeous. We were so pleased with how everything turned out. The Gardens provided parasols and water for our guests at no additional cost which was a very nice touch. The only complaint that I had is that you have a small time window for your ceremony, which does not allow you to comfortably fit in the ceremony and pictures. We were very rushed to fit in time for our pictures after the ceremony. Otherwise, this was a beautiful site for an outdoor garden wedding.

Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 9/26/2012 savannah i

The setting is beautiful inside and out. We had our ceremony and reception here Sept 8-12. Overall its not very pricey, but you do have to take care of basically everything yourself. The cleanup at the end of the night is your responsibility, the set up is yours, and the chair set up for the ceremony is yours too. They do not have an onsite caterer, so you hire one yourself. It didnt go so bad for us, simply because we had a lot of help from family and friends. It just would have been nice to relax instead of feeling like we were working on our wedding day. The staff was very nice. Very laid back.

Expensive and disorganized

Reviewed on 6/06/2012 Lauren L

I completely agree that the gardens are beautiful, BUT that does not mean this is the place for you to get married. First, most of the gardens only seat 25-75 people (for whom you will be setting up the chairs yourself). Next, there are tons of restrictions about what you can and can't have in the gardens AND super-tight restrictions on time (2 hours total for setup, seating, ceremony, pictures, and tear down). Last, and worst of all, they are disorganized and almost completely unaccommodating. Overall, you will spend too much money and go through too much trouble just to get good pictures in the garden when there are many other cool places for pics!

Wedding Ceremony

Reviewed on 8/19/2011 Marci M

We had our wedding ceremony here and it was absolutely beautiful! I was a little nervous because when I first talked to them about having my ceremony there, they made it seem as though I would have to figure things out myself and they were just there for the grounds, but as it turned out they were super helpful! We had a girl (Kelly Ann) who walked us through the rehearsal the night before and then was instrumental in making the day-of procession go smoothly - she also cued and collaborated with our musicians. You do have to bring friends to help set up and take down chairs for the ceremony, and the we (the bridal party) got caught in construction and I thought we would never make it there in time to tell our friends how to set up the chairs, but Kelly Ann instructed everything and I was extremely relieved when I got there to find out my tardiness was no issue :)

Gorgeous

Reviewed on 8/09/2011 Cassie M

The Matthaei Botanical Gardens are a beautiful place to get married or have any kind of pictures taken! We got lucky on our wedding day and had great weather up until we left the garden. There are a few different areas to have your ceremony and plenty of spots for gorgeous pictures. The timeline for the ceremony is a little short but it was definitely doable. We even left about 10 minutes early. The ladies there were helpful with keeping everyone on the timeline and even letting everyone know when they needed to start walking down the aisle. It was so helpful to have the assistant there throughout the ceremony. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to get married or do engagement photos!

Gorgeous Gardens!

Reviewed on 10/10/2010 Stacey R

The Gateway Garden of New World Plants was our ceremony venue, and at the end of September, it was all in bloom and so beautiful! It made for wonderful settings and pictures. We had our reception in the Auditorium inside, and everything was set up, fit perfectly and looked great! My only complaint (and it is a tiny one) is that we had three different people handling our event, and at times, it seemed like they all had different information about what we wanted. The wedding went off with very few, very small hitches, and was well worth what we paid.

TO U of M Matthaei Botanical Gardens