Whitby Castle at Rye Golf Club

Rye, NY

A Fairy Tale Setting for Magical Events

Whitby Castle is set on 126 acres overlooking the Long Island Sound in Rye, NY. This timeless turn-of-the-century castle boasts breathtaking views of Milton Harbor and grandiose ballrooms all while being secluded on a manicured golf course.

Guest Capacity

Ballroom, Waterfront, Country Club, Castle, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning

330 Boston Post Road, Rye, NY

Spectacular venue, beautiful view

Reviewed on 7/16/2013 denise b

We were very happy with Whitby Castle at the Rye Golf Club for our wedding. The service was top notch, the food delicious and the setting was extraordinary. We were torn between a few other vendors located on the shore and opted for the castle, just because of its sheer... Read More magical glory. Just driving up to the castle you know that something is special. Thanks, Whitby Castle, for making our wedding fit for a princess (and prince)

A fairytale

Reviewed on 10/22/2015 Christine D

Whitby was the 2nd location we looked at, because I knew right away it was perfect for us. The castle is beautiful and had all the elements I've ever wanted, from the suits of armor and fireplace to the moulding on the ceilings! I loved the history too but what blew us away... Read More was the food, Lessings did such an amazing job, guests had great compliments. Working with Linda was great, she really did everything I asked for, no matter how far out it was. The waitstaff was also great, they made a positive impression on me and the guests. I even got a recipe from them when I asked after we picked up the top of the wedding cake next day!

Reviewed on 5/05/2015 Christina P

I have been dying to write a review because I am so grateful for this past weekend. The Whitby Castle is by far the best place I've ever been to for a wedding, and I'm the Bride! I have been a guest to many weddings at various locations but the staff does not compare to those... Read More at the Whitby Castle. They go above and beyond your expectations. They have all really made my day magical. Sean, Ralph, and Linda were very helpful in every way possible. Linda was with me every step of the way, keeping my husband and I on track from the day we booked until the day before the wedding. Jasmine and Lisa were my attendants and they are both sweet and helpful young woman that made my day so much more relaxing. The delicious food was made by Chef Cliff. From food tastings to cocktail hour to dinner, he made sure we enjoyed every bite! My advice to the new bride(s)-to-be, please know what you want or at least have an idea and be organized to make their work a little easier. But knowing Sean, Linda, and Ralph, they will do their best to accommodate your every need and work with you to make your dream wedding come true. -Christina Zaphire

Reviewed on 4/27/2016 Catie B

We got married in February of 2016 at the Whitby Castle. My wife and I selected this location because it wasn’t something either of us had heard of before and we love the mix of old and new at the venue. The castle has a tremendous amount of character and the ballroom is... Read More elegant, new and beautiful. We loved the idea of having the ceremony in the ballroom with those big bright windows looking out on the golf course and sound inlet. Pre-wedding planning, via Linda, was easy. She laid out all of the details we needed to coordinate with her early on and was always very responsive via phone or email. She took care of venue tours, the menu, vendors, tasting, etc. It was all well organized and easy to choose from. As we got closer to the wedding Ralph got involved as our day-of maître d’. He went over, in fine detail, every piece of the wedding from layout, to ceremony, to music, speeches, etc. He always listened to any tiny thing we wanted to add or subtract from the plan and updated the schedule of events dozens of times without complaint. Day of, the wedding went off without a hitch. I can honestly say I’ve never been treated so well by a wait staff in my entire life, and all our guests have said the same thing. For anything we asked for, (from a drink, or a lost shoe), Ralph would jump into action as if someone’s life was on the line. The next day when we went back for our cake toppers, Ralph had leftover food for us to take home as well! That is the type of service you want from a maître d’! Two months later all I can say is that Whitby exceeded all of our expectations and there wasn’t a single thing that didn’t go as planned. Linda and Ralph, as well as the wait staff, are all amazingly professional and accommodating people. The food, atmosphere and execution were all top notch and I would recommend this place ten times over. I hope we get to go to another wedding there some time soon.

Reviewed on 4/20/2016 Emma W

We had our wedding reception at Whitby Castle on 4/16/16 and it was beyond what we imagined. Ralph, Linda and team made every detail of the day personalized to us and truly special. Our coordinators and maitre d went above and beyond to make sure we were completely happy every... Read More second. The grounds are stunning, the castle itself (inside and out) are beyond words and everything ran smoothly and without error. I would recommend Whitby Castle to anyone who is looking for their day to be especially magical and effortless. Truly the best!

Reviewed on 4/14/2016 Rachel W

We were blown away with our wedding at Whitby Castle. Our wedding planner, Amy at Amy Winters Events, exceeded our expectations and designed and executed the most magnificent wedding at the Castle. Linda was a huge contributor in our dream wedding and she was more than... Read More accommodating and gave us everything we desired. The Castle was wonderful from the moment we decided to host our wedding there, to the very last minutes we were there, to collecting all of our belongings for us for the upcoming week. This venue was more than a dream and I wouldn't have changed a thing! We are so thankful for the whole team; Linda, Sean, Ralph, the chef and our bridal attendant Jasmine and the wait staff, especially Will! What an amazing experience that we are dying to relive again! THANK YOU WHITBY CASTLE!

Reviewed on 4/08/2016 Jessica W

Everything was utterly amazing for our special day! The team did a great, great job - Ralph went above and beyond for us. Really can't say enough about how wonderful the venue and staff was!

Reviewed on 4/04/2016 Kaitlin T

Words cannot express the gratitude, respect and appreciation I have for Linda, Ralph, Sean, Chef and the whole staff at Whitby Castle. My husband and I recently had our wedding here and the venue, staff, food and view were an absolute dream. Linda was so lovely to work with... Read More leading up to our special day and spent several afternoons with us customizing a menu that suited our Irish Countryside-themed wedding vision. We were truly floored by Ralph's attentiveness, hospitality, kindness, organization and attention to detail on our wedding day and everyday throughout the entire wedding process. He was so kind to assist us in carrying out every detail and request that we had - from organizing the details of a surprise dance performance, assembling a custom photo booth, creating a custom playlist for our cocktail hour, ensuring the delivery of our last minute keg requests, configuring an ideal layout for our large guest count and so much more. The bridal attendant, Katie was such a doll! She had an effortless ability to predict what my husband and I needed and was always by my side lending a helping hand. We had everything we could ever need or want whether it was a glass water or champagne or an open door to cool off after dancing the night away! And I can't say enough about how absolutely delicious the food was! All of the food was ridiculously exceptional and what a treat to have plates full of food delivered to our dais table despite having a station-style reception. They really thought of everything! The turkey with cranberry sauce was to die for, the mini pot pies and shepherds pies were phenomenal and our customized seafood station was a hit thanks to Linda's guiding hand. Everything completely exceeded all of our hopes and expectations. The castle looked beautiful, guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves and everything was absolute perfection from start to end thanks to the staff's time, energy and accommodations.

Reviewed on 3/15/2016 wendy m

I couldn't have asked for a better wedding! ! Thanks to the whitby castle and all of the staff! What a beautiful atmosphere!! I would highly recommend! !

Reviewed on 2/27/2016 Kelsey S

My wedding was an absolute dream come true! The castle speaks for itself as it is gorgeous inside and out. All of the rooms are beautiful and it is fabulous to have your guests be able to enjoy the splendor of the entire castle. Linda was an absolute pleasure to work with... Read More from the start. She was extremely helpful throughout the process! I knew I wanted to work with her and the castle immediately. Ralph was our Maître D. Throughout the prep, rehearsal and day of the wedding he was an absolute gem. He bent over backwards for whatever I needed. After having an issue with our florist he jumped right in to assist my mom in ensuring everything was perfect. Ralph guided me through the night with such ease. Everything was on time and fluid, each portion of the day flowed flawlessly. Everything was seamless. Thank you Linda & Ralph! I had a beautiful day because of you both and your team. Lots of love, Kelsey & Adam

Reviewed on 2/25/2016 Alessandra R

First, let me apologize to everyone who has recently provided a deposit to this PITIFUL establishment. I’m sorry for your inevitable disappointment. Whitby Castle, I hope you named that Bridal Suite after me. Before my wedding this SORRY EXCUSE FOR AN ESTABLISHMENT didn’t feel... Read More the need to lock the bridal suite because they DIDN’T HAVE A LOCK ON THE DOOR. In fact, they left the door wide open and because of their negligence, two of my bridesmaids had their envelopes (wedding gifts) and cash stolen from their purses. At no point did they tell us that the bridal suite didn’t lock, that there was no safe for us to keep our belongings in. My brothers were telling me that the staff members were telling people that there was an additional bathroom upstairs (it is connected the bridal suite). How they do not put measures in place to PREVENT this? Especially after Ralph had TOLD my bridesmaid that a theft had occurred 6 months prior in the bridal suite. AND its open to the public during events. This place is just so elementary and pathetic. Ralph was AWFUL. No where to be seen after he screwed up our seating chart which left my parents/brothers seated away from me and my family. He was missing the entire night and caused me to be late to my father daughter dance/bouquet toss. TO LESSINGS MANAGEMENT, PLEASE NOTE THAT 90% OF ALL NEGATIVE REVIEWS FOR WHITY CASTLE ARE IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER RELATED TO HIM. Little things that most venues have down pat are just overlooked by the staff at Whitby – like having cutlery and napkins at all of the various cocktail hour stations. They ran out of a type of beer, and had actually served Salmon instead of Halibut as an entree (we agreed upon Halibut), and tried to act like they were doing me a favor because it "cost them more". I was told that, “some” of the waiters were uninformed and had provided both halibut and salmon as options to our guests which was a lie (I asked my guests). Then I find out they had enough Halibut for 10 plates. This place is a joke.

Reviewed on 2/25/2016 lisa b

There are not enough great things I can say about our wedding at the Whitby Castle. From the moment we saw the venue, we knew this was where we wanted to say our "I do's". Everything, I repeat everything, was amazing while working with the Whitby Castle. From the planning,... Read More to the execution, the team did an amazing job making us feel comfortable, happy and at ease. They worked within our budget and provided us with the most amazing experience we could have ever imagined. The venue is beautiful, the food was delicious, the cost was affordable, and the team was professional and helpful from start to finish. Look no further, the Whitby Castle is the best. Thank you Linda and Ralph, working with you two was an absolute pleasure!!

Reviewed on 1/27/2016 Pat G

My husband and I knew we wanted to have our wedding at Whitby Castle as soon as we walked into the venue. It's completely breathtaking and has this cozy feeling when you walk in. Since day one we worked with Linda and she was outstanding. She was very responsive and... Read More accommodating. We worked with Ralph the day of and he was also amazing! The staff was exceptional and really catered to our needs. We both felt special the entire day and could not have been happier with the way everything went. Our guests raved about the food too! We did the decadent dessert and warm donuts with apple cider enhancements and those were very well received. The cake was a big hit too! We got a dulce de leche filling so we highly recommend it. It was delicious! Overall I would highly recommend. It's such a beautiful place and if you're looking for a venue that will wow people, but not be over the top, I would consider Whitby!

Reviewed on 1/14/2016 Samantha L

Worst customer service ever! I went to check them out as a possibility for my wedding, and was told there was only one Friday left in the month I'm looking for. After discussing with my fiance, we wanted to take a second look. I contacted Linda on Monday night, who said the date... Read More was still available, but she was going to be off for a couple days, said she didn't advise me waiting till she was back in, and I should call to meet with Ralph the next morning. I did just that, and when I tried to make an appointment with Ralph that same day (Tuesday), he told me he "wanted to go home early because it might snow." (which it never did) I told him I was concerned about losing the date, and we were very serious about it. He said he would hold the date until he could meet with us on Thursday (today). We were prepared to walk in there with a deposit check. Then I get an email last night from Linda saying not only can she not meet with us today, but she gave the date they were supposedly holding for us to another couple. She claims it was booked Monday night, but let's not forget she told me Monday night it was available. This woman wouldn't even get on the phone with me to explain herself, would only reply to my emails like a coward. That's not who I want assisting me with my wedding!! Horrible business practices, these people do not care about your special day, you're just another dollar sign to them. I wouldn't work with her now even if she offered it to me for free. STEER CLEAR of this place ladies! Not worth it! Would give them a zero-star rating but I'm being forced to give at least one (un-deserved) star.

October Wedding

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Francesca F

Beautiful wedding and Ralph was fantastic! He took care of everything! I wish the bridal attendant was more proactive, but she was doing other tasks. Everyone had a great time and the food was excellent. Cocktail hour needs more space- they shouldn't set it up in the... Read More hallway.

Reviewed on 10/02/2015

We had both our ceremony and reception and Whitby Castle in September, 2015. We can't say enough positive things about our experience with Whitby. The setting is lovely with views of Long Island Sound and the venue has been recently renovated. The bridal suite is large and... Read More very comfortable - perfect for the bride and bridesmaid to get ready in a relaxed environment. We received many rave reviews from our guests about the excellent food from the tasty appetizers to the perfectly prepared entrees. The staff at Whitby is outstanding. Linda was very responsive and professional. Ralph, our Maitre d' was very attentive; constantly making sure that everything was as we wanted. The best thing about Whitby is that they take care of all the details on the wedding day and you can truly enjoy the event.

Reviewed on 9/17/2015 Christina S

HORRIBLE!! Had a wedding party there, 125 guests. After they had my $ I was shuffled around. Linda who I worked with all along to plan the event, announced the week prior she would not attend, that she had a marathon the morning after. I ended up meeting Ralph the new Maitre D... Read More 24 hours before my party. He announced us 20 minutes late, had our guests awaiting our introduction, for 20 minutes! No exaggeration! They actually took their seats again wondering where we were. 20 minutes! He DID NOT FOLLOW the timeline he asked we provide noting introductions/dinner/dances etc. But he gladly accepted the envelope of a few hundred dollars in cash, I was TOLD to have ready for him at the end of the evening though! The waiters for our wedding did not know what the 2 dinner choices were, a guest told me afterwards. How do you not know what 2 (2!!!) choices are? A guest was asked what she'd like for dinner, so she asked what her choices were, and he said "I DONT KNOW!" So embarrassing! An elderly family member asked for a 2nd piece of bread & the her waiter said "I already gave you one." RUDE! The place sells itself, because it's a castle on manicured grounds. Food improvement, it was fine at the tasting but sub par when the chef had to cook for 100+ guests. Service in the gutter, for the price, I'd recommend any bride to find another castle/venue. It's not worth the stress last sec. Disappointed.

Unforgettable reception

Reviewed on 9/12/2015 Rachel M

Our reception was at the Whitby almost two months ago and my husband and are so thrilled with how everything turned out. The space speaks for itself, and our guests were raving about how gorgeous it was. The staff was wonderful, especially the sales manager, Linda. They were all... Read More very patient and accommodatimg during the planning process. On the day of our event, everything went smoothly and the staff was by attentive. We were impressed most by the food. Although the tasting was fantastic, we were skeptical about the turnout of the food when cooked in mass. However, we were pleasantly surprised. Our guests couldn't stop talking about how great the food was-every person enjoyed their dinner and nothing was overlooked, cold, or dry. Very impressive. Food was delicious! The Whitby was outstanding, on all fronts and I highly recommend holding your reception at this venue.

Wonderful Experience

Reviewed on 8/19/2015 Bonnie T

I recently got married at Whitby Castle and had a wonderful experience. The team was attentive from the beginning and responded to all emails and calls right away. On the day of, the crew were made sure everything was in order and worked with my bridal party to make sure... Read More everything to my liking. I have to give special thanks to Linda, Ralph (who's motto which he expressed to me every time I had a question was "your day, you way!), and Will!! They were awesome. Im still hearing about how wonderful the staff was and how much fun every had!!

Great wedding!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Julia L

My husband and I booked our wedding at Whitby a couple of years ago when we got engaged. It was initially very stressful as the venue went through a series of management changes but as soon as Lessings took over, everything changed. We could've have had a better experience... Read More working with Sean, the GM for Whitby, and Lisa, the sales manager and coordinator. They were incredible. The chef was also fantastic and put us at ease when we went for our tasting. The white glove service was impeccable and we were so happy that everything worked out perfectly. Sean and his staff the night of were incredible. A few things came up with our vendors and they handled it for us so we didn't actually know anything had happened until after, which was a huge weight off of our shoulders. We couldn't have been happier with the service and helpful staff. We want to go back and do it all again!

A Dream Come True..

Reviewed on 10/24/2014 Amy G

Our wedding at Whitby was exactly that.. our DREAM wedding! From the moment we first saw the castle, we knew it was special. Elegant, classy and a dramatic background for photos! What was beyond my imagination was how excellent the service was. We were treated so well... Read More throughout the planning process by all of the staff. Our coordinator, Samantha, was amazing to work with! So helpful and nice-- she really went out of her way for us. Every time we visited Whitby throughout the planning process, we were treated like royalty! The day of our wedding was magical-- the food was OUTSTANDING, the drinks kept flowing all night, and we were very well taken care of! Lisa (maitre d') was also super nice. She even carried my train all around while we were taking photos! The manager, Sean, went around to every table to make sure our guests were happy-- which we really appreciated. Numerous guests continue to tell us how much they enjoyed everything! Overall, this place is the BEST! We could not have asked for a more perfect venue. I wish we could relive our beautiful wedding day!

PERFECT Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 8/29/2014 Jessica C

One of the best decisions we made was having our reception at Whitby Castle. Samantha is the person who helped coordinate our wedding and is the main reason we booked with Whitby (aside from the fact that it's a gorgeous castle!). I should also note that Whtiby just had major... Read More renovations done before our wedding took place. They added stunning hardwood floors to the ballroom and hallway, moved the bridal suite upstairs (check out the pictures online because it’s unbelievable) and are adding a groom suite. The groom suite wasn’t ready when we had our wedding but we really didn’t care because everything else was so top notch. When looking for our reception venue we looked at over 20 different locations, including Castle on the Hudson, the Delamar, Inn at Longshore, Tappan hill Mansion, Beckwith Pointe, and so many others. Whitby was, hands down, the best venue for us. It offered a stunning and elegant setting for our wedding, without being pretentious, and Samantha was the most helpful and organized wedding coordinator we could have asked for. We opted not to hire an event planner for the simple reason that we didn’t need one. Samantha was so hands on that it would have been a waste to hire someone else. The food was outstanding! I can’t say this enough. Chef Saladin met with us before the wedding to go through the menu we wanted. We ended up choosing foods that weren’t on the traditional menu because we really wanted an Italian-style theme to our wedding. Chef Saladin didn’t disappoint! He went above and beyond for us. Even our guest were giving him hugs! I could gush on and on about how amazing Whitby was but it’s something you need to see for yourself. Definitely set aside some time to see Whitby if you’re thinking of having your wedding in the area. If you want your wedding to be “the best wedding” your friends and family have ever been to, then definitely call Whitby.

Perfect Setting, Location for Wedding Reception

Reviewed on 10/20/2012 Sharon O

We held our reception here for almost 100 people. I have to highly commend Andrew Richter for taking care of our booking requirements and ensuring the whole night went without a single hitch. The venue's decor and atmosphere is very conducive to a special party/event/wedding... Read More and stood out amongst all of the other places we viewed. The food is absolutely delicious - in fact all of our guests commented on how great the food was and the staff were 'on the ball' all night.

Loved it! Couldn't have picked a better venue!

Reviewed on 8/06/2012 E B

So glad we chose Whitby for our venue. The venue is beautiful. The ballroom didn't feel like a ballroom at all given the number of windows that let natural light in. The cocktail hour on the deck was relaxed. The staff was attentive and celebrative. Most of all -... Read More working with Whitby was easy. Andrew Richter helped us every step of the way - suggesting dishes, timing for the wedding, coordinating with other vendors, and being incredibly responsive with any question we had. The entire staff was both professional and friendly. I highly, highly recommend this venue to anyone considering a venue in Fairfield or Westchester. Your event will be classy, memorable, and fun.

Mother of the Bride

Reviewed on 5/23/2012 Joyce M

Our daughter's wedding was at Whitby Castle, May, 2012. From the moment we saw it, we knew the wedding had to be here. The Castle and location are amazing and magical. The setting for a wedding couldn't be better. We worked with Andrew Richter, Director of Sales. He was... Read More great to work with - so helpful, offered great advice, did not pressure us. He responded immediately to every question. He was so organized - I was able to relax and know that everything was in great hands. Everything went perfectly. The day was glorious - we had the cocktail hour outside. The hor d'houerves were everything Andrew said they would be. Everything was delicious and plentiful. The food at the reception was outstanding It was like food at a fine restaurant, instead of the usual wedding fare. Everything was served beautifully and was delicious. Even the wonderful wedding cake (from LuLu) was served on a beautifully decorated plate. The servers were polite, friendly and efficient. We were so happy with every element of the wedding - HIGHLY recommend Whitby Castle. Check it out.