William Penn Inn

Gwynedd, PA

Book Your Wedding with William Penn Inn

A BALLROOM IN GWYNEDD, PA

Built in 1714, the William Penn Inn in Gwynedd, Pennsylvania, is a slice of Montgomery County history, serving much the same function today as it has for more than 300 years. The building itself is ideal for traditional summer wedding themes, with an elegant white facade, colorful gardens and carefully manicured lawns that benefit in places from the shade of several large trees. Available for ceremonies and receptions, this venue has several spaces for couples to choose from, both inside and out.

The Carriage Ballroom has a grand yet minimalist neutral decor. Some standout features of this versatile ballroom venue are its own mahogany bar, crystal chandeliers, candelabra wall lights, spacious hardwood dance floor, square columns and an authentic marble fireplace. It can accommodate up to 250 guests and may be used to host both ceremonies and receptions.

The Surrey Ballroom is essentially a smaller version of the Carriage Ballroom, with brass appointments and bow windows. It accommodates up to 120 guests.

The Commonwealth Club, Hunt Room and Penn's Tavern are warm rooms with European ambience. Each room can accommodate 10 to 40 guests for intimate indoor ceremonies and receptions.

Penn's Garden is a romantically secluded lawn area, shielded from public view by the surrounding flora. A paved center aisle extends for 80 feet to a wrought-iron ceremony gazebo, which sits atop a raised paved area beneath a large oak tree. The setting provides a beautiful backdrop for first-look photos.

The William Penn Inn's all-inclusive wedding package includes personal wedding planning and coordination services, as well as comprehensive catering. This covers a deluxe open bar for four or five hours, hot and cold hors d'oeuvres, a champagne toast and a three-course dinner with butlered wine service. Vegetarian and gluten-free entrees are available to be added to the menu. Also included are the wedding cake, which is baked by the William Penn Inn's own chef and fresh floral centerpieces from the on-site Floral Shoppe. Both the wedding cake and flower arrangements are specifically tailored to individual requests. White glove service is provided throughout the event. Outside caterers are not permitted and a food and beverage spending requirement is charged instead of a space rental fee.

The ceremony package covers space rental for one hour of event time and includes professional coordination, white garden or elegant banquet chairs, a ceremony table with floor-length linen and 45 minutes of rehearsal time scheduled Monday through Thursday. Couples holding their ceremony at the William Penn Inn are entitled to a 10 percent discount on a rehearsal dinner at the venue, to be held Monday through Thursday.

Some restrictions to keep in mind are the prohibition of confetti and indoor smoking. Events may end as late as 1 a.m. and amplified music is permitted both inside and outside the venue.

There are a number of additional benefits to keep in mind when considering the William Penn Inn as a ceremony or reception venue. These include:

• Use of sound system and microphone
  • Bride and groom's private dressing areas
  • Optional use of piano
  • On-site accommodations
  • Complimentary bridal suite
  • Complimentary private tasting for up to six guests

Keeping Promises for Over Three Centuries

An occasion to remember...European ambiance. Imaginative menus. Personal service. Flawless coordination. Complete wedding packages starting at $70.00 per person plus tax and gratuities.

Ballroom, Garden, Historic Venue, Restaurant

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100
7504f472 fbdf 4115 a317 0a8fdec1b4a5~rs 100

Route 202, Gwynedd, PA (215) 699-9272

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Jessie F

TL;DR: HAVE IT HERE AND DON'T EVEN THINK TWICE After we signed a contract with the William Penn Inn I would tell myself occasionally, during harried moments of wedding planning not to try to organize a "perfect" event. "That's a pipe dream," I'd say, buried in my inner... Read More monologue. "A recipe for disappointment. Don't even go there. Just do your best and as long as no one cries or bleeds then it'll be ok." But here I am, three weeks married, and I am actually able to say with all the sincerity in my cynical, cold heart that I Had A Perfect Wedding. And I have the William Penn Inn and their all-star staff to thank. Here are a few specific reasons why. 1) I admit freely that I am an over-thinker and a micro-manager. With any other venue these qualities probably would have transformed me into a bridezilla of epic proportions, or at least made me miserable. Not at the William Penn Inn, thanks to the efforts of Banquet Sales Manager Monica, who calmed my scattered bride brain—before "scattered" even had a chance to turn into "stressed"— literally dozens and dozens of times. She responded promptly (sometimes within mere -minutes-), answering my many annoying, numbered questions with many helpful, numbered answers. Furthermore, she was entirely open when we had questions about ways to customize our event and make it "ours"; virtually all of the things we asked for were possible, even warmly welcomed. Not to mention Monica was upbeat, relaxed, and positive in every single interaction we had with her from the time we met her in January to the time we said goodbye to her the morning after our wedding in September. How she did all this while managing God-knows-how-many other weddings is unclear to me. Anyway, when people ask me what kind of an experience it was to plan our wedding, I can't even truthfully say "stressful" (like most brides probably would). This is because of Monica. 2) The William Penn Inn is, first and foremost, a restaurant. It also happens to be a good restaurant, popular in the area, known for its consistently delicious food. For these reasons the food at your wedding WILL ALSO BE DELICIOUS. Our guests are still raving. Did I mention the impeccable service? 3) It's one-stop shopping and they think of everything! -Worried about flowers? Um, they take care of that. (Don't even get me STARTED on my bouquet, skillfully arranged by their in-house florist Kate. I literally said an emotional "good bye" to that bouquet before we had to leave for our honeymoon.) -What about the cake?! Created in-house! Our cake looked like it belonged on the cover of a glossy magazine. -Oh crap you have to find a wedding coordinator what? Noooo you don't. They give you one! Our coordinator, Kelly, helped us at our rehearsal and throughout our whole event, and was super poised and organized—I know she was working hard behind the scenes to help everything run smoothly. (AND she still found time to pour me some more champagne.) -Ok, well how about setting up all your reception stuff the day of? THEY DO THAT TOO. You just give your items to them and they put it together the way you envision. It was crazy to walk into our reception and see it all perfectly arranged just the way we wanted. That experience, more than anything, made me feel like a "guest at my own wedding", as they had promised. 4) It still blows my mind how little we ended up spending for an event like that. THANK YOU WPI, for some of the very best memories I have.

Reviewed on 9/01/2016 Jessica C

Getting married at the William Penn Inn was an amazing experience from our first visit to the last song of our wedding. First, the staff there is so patient, creative, and attentive. Monica responded to my continuous stream of questions quickly and in a way that always made... Read More me feel at ease. She worked with us to make sure the wedding was everything we wanted, and made us feel like we were the only wedding that she was planning! The food at William Penn Inn was delicious. We served a trio of sea bass, chicken, and steak and our guests raved about how good it was. Everyone loved the dessert sampler tray and our wedding cake was incredible. It was beautiful and it tasted as good as it looked (which is always surprising for a wedding cake). In addition, the William Penn Inn flower shop exceeded our expectations in putting together the decorations for our reception. It was more beautiful than I could have imagined. Kate at the flower shop understood everything we wanted and took it to the next level. Our guests could not get over how creative the centerpieces were, and how perfectly the colors popped. Kate was also so patient with us as we worked through the process of picking colors and designs, and was so good about working with our budget. I cannot say enough good things about every aspect of William Penn Inn. I highly recommend having your wedding here if you want a beautiful, stress-free wedding!

Reviewed on 3/23/2016

Wow! William Penn Inn, one word: AMAZING! My husband and I can't explain how overwhelming pleased we were with their service. From our first appointment to the actual wedding day, the folks at the WPI were phenomenal! It didn't matter that we were having a small combo... Read More ceremony/wedding at their facility, they always treated us special. The staff was so accommodating to any requests, while planning and the day of; including finding us the best date possible! We are so happy we moved the date (as they recommended) to be sure the WPI was decorated for the holiday season. The ambiance at WPI during the holiday season is spectacular. It is certainly a sight to see (inside and outside). It takes your breath away. The wedding packages offered are fantastic. It is truly money well spent for all the amenities and the level of service you receive. The food is delicious, from appetizers to entrees. The wedding cake was absolutely beautiful and delicious. We also used the WPI floral shop for my bouquet, all the floral arrangements, boutonnieres and the center pieces. Not only was it extremely convenient, all of the flowers were beautiful and so well arranged. The floral shop did a fantastic job and were so easy to work with. Needless to say, we were so thankful we chose WPI as our venue and cannot say enough about how unbelievably pleased we were with their service. They made our wedding day more special, more elegant, more intimate, and more beautiful than I had ever imagined. We will definitely be having our 1st anniversary dinner there! I would recommend the William Penn Inn to anyone planning a wedding or special event.

Reviewed on 1/04/2018 Christina M

If there were an option to give 10 stars, I wouldn't hesitate to do it - William Penn Inn is an outstanding, absolutely stellar wedding reception venue (we had our ceremony off site so I can't speak to that, but I'm sure it would be lovely!). I could write a novel about how... Read More Monica (wedding coordinator) and Kate (flowers coordinator) went far above and beyond what I would have expected of them. I'm an out-of-town bride, and loved the idea of the catering, flowers, linens, reception venue, etc. all being housed under one roof - the different vendors were comfortable and used to working with one another, which made everything even easier to handle from a few hours away. Both Monica and Kate were prompt to respond to questions (even when Monica was away on maternity leave!) and were happy to offer their insight and opinions when asked for advice. I truly enjoyed working with them. Aside from the outstanding coordinators, the Inn itself is simply stunning. I got married on a snowy Saturday in December and the entire venue was lit up in white lights. It looked gorgeous. Inside, the Inn's holiday decorations were silver, gold, white and green garland - simply chic and didn't make me feel like I was having a Christmas wedding (I love Christmas but wasn't looking to have Santa or giant nutcrackers in my wedding decor). We also had a handful of items we wanted displayed during the cocktail reception (LP records we asked guests to sign for a guest book, pictures of parent/grandparent weddings, etc.) - Monica worked with her team to arrange everything and it looked wonderful! And aside from all THAT, the food was fabulous. Guests didn't stop commenting on how delicious everything was all night (prime rib in particular was top notch!) Absolutely 100% would recommend.

Reviewed on 12/04/2017 Joyce L

Great experience! Wished the night could have been longer.

Reviewed on 11/08/2017 Alexandra S

Having our wedding reception at the William Penn Inn was very special for my husband and I since we grew up in the area and it’s a staple in the community! The staff there is wonderful to work with- especially Monica. She answered all my questions and made expert suggestions... Read More throughout the entire wedding planning process! I also can’t say enough about Kate, the WPI’s florist. I have never been a major fan of flowers- they’re beautiful, but never anything to write home about. Well, the bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages Kate created for my wedding WERE something to write home about! Everyone could not get over how beautiful the flowers and arrangements were. Multiple people said that they were the most beautiful flowers they’d ever seen! I am so happy I decided to have my wedding reception at the William Penn Inn- the night turned out to be as wonderful as we had envisioned!

Reviewed on 11/08/2017 Sarah B

I had my wedding at the William Penn Inn in August 2017 and I have nothing but AMAZING things to say about this venue. First of all, the food is delicious - everything from the appetizers to the main course to the cake was perfect. Second, the staff at the William Penn Inn... Read More does EVERYTHING that they can do to make your wedding perfect. They are friendly, responsive, and understanding with every aspect of the wedding planning process. The week before the wedding you just drop off anything that you want displayed and tell them how you want it, and you do not have to worry because the day of the wedding it will be set up beautifully. Third, it is so convenient. They have a flower shop, a bakery, and wedding planners available on site. They also take care of set-up, linens, centerpieces, decorations, and anything else that you want. Fourth, the garden is amazing -- you would never think that right next to a busy road like 202 there would be such a secret, beautiful, quiet, peaceful garden for a ceremony. Our pictures taken in the garden were wonderful. Again, it is so convenient - you can have the ceremony in the garden and then walk right into the ballroom for the cocktail hour. Lastly, I still cannot believe how smooth the day went. Because of the wonderful staff, I did not worry about anything and I was able to enjoy my wedding. The only thing that they do not have is a groom's suite. They have a beautiful large bridal suite that is included, but there is no where for the groom to get ready on the property that is included. However, overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this venue!!

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Sarah L

I've been coming to the WPI ever since I was a little girl with my grandma for special occasions and it was the PERFECT place to get married! They took care of everything and we had the MOST AMAZING day! Definitely go with it as your venue!

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Jessica M

My husband and I had such a great time at the William Penn Inn for our wedding reception. The food was sooo good and the atmosphere was amazing. Our guests loved it.

Reviewed on 10/08/2017 Brittany M

Perfect Place!!!

Reviewed on 9/28/2017 Alexis B

We were thrilled that we were able to get a date at the William Penn Inn for our wedding! I had high expectations for this venue and they no doubt delivered in most areas. Pros: *Flower Shoppe - Kate is AMAZING! She really took the time to discuss our vision and showed us... Read More samples of bouquets and centerpieces. She even suggested a better floor plan than originally made up by the Banquet salesperson. All the flowers the day of the wedding were so beautiful, from my bouquet, to the boutonnieres, the centerpieces, and flowers on the cake. *Bakery On Site – We choose the flavor of the cake after our tasting, and worked with the floral department on the design. Cake was beautiful and delicious! *Food/Open Bar - All the food and drink was amazing! They were accommodating with guests being vegan and/or Gluten Free. *Ceremony (Indoor & Outdoor) On Site – We had our ceremony in Penn’s Garden. It was beautiful and we lucked out with great weather. Tip: if you have pictures taken in the garden, bring heel protectors; go barefoot, or wear flip-flops to prevent you from sinking into the ground. *Over-night Hotel Room – They were nice enough to comp us an overnight room, which made it super convenient to crash right after the wedding. *Bridal Suite – Use of this room was a great decision! It’s spacious and can accommodate a large group and vendors for hair and make-up. Cons: *Not Intimate - There will be other events going on at the venue. I don’t think this necessarily effected The William Penn’s performance, however, you may have strangers intermingling with your party. We were trying to take photos in the entrance and the guests that were having a party next door were so rude and couldn’t even wait until the picture was taken to walk through. Also, some other officiant just walked into the Bridal Suite as we were getting ready thinking I was the bride she was marrying that day. There was also a party going on while we were getting ready in the Bridal Suite and even though it wasn’t that much a nuisance, there was still a lot of noise being made. Kind of took away from the “tranquil” moments before the craziness of the wedding begins! My case in point is, this venue is not intimate and you will be sharing it with many other people and events. *Service Lacked in certain areas Some guests made comments that the Bar Tender was a little rude. No bottled water was provided in the Bridal Suite as promised. (And you can’t bring in any outside food) Banquet Salesperson verbally promised on several occasions that they would throw in a complementary Mac & Cheese station. Now it wasn’t on the contract and that was my bad for not noticing, but she did tell my mom and I about it and there was no Mac & Cheese station during cocktail hour. Also, the salesperson I was working with had an emergency right before the wedding (Yes I totally get emergencies happen) and I had to be switched to another sales person. I kind of feel our wedding got “lost in the sauce” per say. I had to wait days for questions to be answered through e-mail and didn’t know that the salesperson wasn’t working on our wedding anymore until I called WP and asked what was going on. I didn’t feel the Banquet Salespeople really gave us the attention and assistance with the wedding planning I would hope for from The William Penn Inn. In summary, The William Penn Inn is a great wedding venue and I was overall very pleased and know my guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Reviewed on 8/19/2017 Anna G

We had our rehearsal lunch here and ordered pastries for the wedding the next day. The food for both was absolutely amazing. We asked for a change in the menu and they accommodated with no problems. Terry, the pastry chef, was so easy to work with and just a phenomenal chef. We... Read More didn't have any left over pastries from the wedding and people are still talking about them.

Reviewed on 8/05/2017 Sarah S

Fantastic experience all the way around! The food is AMAZING. The employees did everything they could to make our day beautiful, fun, and zero stress. I have attended many weddings at venues in the local area and the William Penn Inn stands well above the rest in many ways. I... Read More highly recommend this venue!

Reviewed on 7/25/2017 Gretchen B

We had our wedding at the William Penn Inn on June 30th, 2017. My husband, parents, and I were so impressed with the quality of service that we received throughout the entire process. We worked with Monica, and she was absolutely amazing. She helped keep us organized, was... Read More accommodating to all of my questions (and I had a lot), and made us feel so special at every meeting that we had. A big plus - we were allowed to have 6 guests at our tasting which allowed it to be a great pre-wedding event for us and both sets of parents. From the moment we got to the WPI, everything went smoothly. There was a beautiful & spacious bridal sweet for us to put down all of our belongs and freshen up before the pictures. We then used Penn's Garden to take all of pictures. The flowers were beautiful and there was plenty of space and variety in flowers, etc to take alot of different pictures. While we were in Penn's Garden during the cocktail hour, they had servers coming down to serve apps & drinks to us and the entire bridal party. I can't say enough amazing things about the William Penn Inn. It was the best decision to have our wedding there. If you both work and don't have the time to be dealing with a lot of different vendors and wedding planning craziness, WPI is the best option. In addition to great cocktail hour/reception services, they have an amazing onsite floral boutique that did all of our flowers & made 2 delivery spots, as well as, a wonderful onsite bakery which made our cake as well! It is a one stop wedding stop and they do everything with such care and attention to detail. For the past few weeks I have had guests from the wedding come up and tell us how they had the best time at our wedding. Comments like: Tons of space to dance the night away, delicious apps during the cocktail hour, and best dinner at a wedding they ever had!

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 Jennifer P

The Inn is just beautiful & staff is wonderful! We had our wedding ceremony & reception there in June & everything on the day of went perfectly!! It looked exactly as I'd envisioned, everyone raved about their food, and it was a magical day. We don't have any shortage of... Read More great things to say about Shelley who helped with the planning process, our day-of coordinator, Colin, and the rest of staff! We also opted to use the in-house florist, Kate, who was a pleasure to work with & made everything look beautiful. I highly recommend the Inn for your wedding if you want a classic, beautiful venue with charm & wonderful service!

Reviewed on 6/22/2017 Lenna W

If you've ever driven by or visited the William Penn Inn, you know that the setting and location is absolutely stunning. The grounds are impeccably well kept and the trees lining the street are full of twinkle lights year round. Planning my wedding was made exponentially easier... Read More thanks to the Banquet Sales Manager, Monica Ganter. Throughout the process, from picking the venue to the day of the wedding, she was always available to answer any and all questions I was able to come up with and even make suggestions for things I hadn't thought of. Monica and Kate (the onsite florist) had a lot of suggestions and options to choose from along with pictures of what they had done in the past. They made planning flowers, seating charts, and ceremony decorations fun and easy. The day of the wedding the staff perfectly set up all of our extra signs, favors, boxes, etc. They even had free sun umbrellas to put up during the ceremony which was great for our older guests. The only real hiccup and the reason this review is four stars instead of five was the coordination the day of. Small but important things like not having flower petals for the flower girls, trying to charge the bridal suite for food and drinks we already worked into the contract and paid for, and having the boutonnieres and father/mother flowers delivered to the bridal suite rather than passing them out to the appropriate people. Luckily we were able to resolve all these small issues, but for a place well known for their excellent service and considering how easy the planning had been I had expected a little more organization. That being said, if you are looking for a beautiful venue with outstanding food, staff, and location you really can't do much better than the William Penn Inn.

Reviewed on 6/01/2017 Melissa S

I cannot rave enough about the William Penn Inn. The food, ambiance, and staff were simply amazing. I wish I could give them more than five stars because they significantly exceeded my expectations. The value of their wedding packages far exceeds the cost. I would HIGHLY... Read More recommend this venue to any soon-t0-be bride or groom!

Reviewed on 5/16/2017 Felicia M

I cannot say enough good things about the William Penn Inn! Everything was perfect from the set up to the cake to the flowers. Monica, Kate and Kelly did an amazing job. The entire night went smoothly and every possible concern was taken care of before I could even think of... Read More it. Highly highly recommend!!!

Reviewed on 4/21/2017 Samantha S

I had my wedding here in April of 2017 and it was perfect. From the beginning they took care of everything. They make your cake, they make excellent food, the flowers were beautiful and they are reasonably priced. Shelley was our person throughout the planning process and Robin... Read More was our day of person. They were both phenomenal. The day went smoothly, there were no issues and it was fun. Everybody thought the food was amazing. I'm still obsessing over the tangerine glazed salmon.

Reviewed on 4/16/2017 Elizabeth O

The best experience I could of ever had !!! The William Penn is top of the line, the venue is 100% perfect ! I could not of asked for a better Wedding. They are amazing at what they do! The food , flowers, cake, bridal suite, servers, wedding coordinators, the room was above and... Read More beyond what I could of ever dreamed of, thank you so much for making our special day a dream come true !!!

Reviewed on 4/10/2017 Shawna F

We had our wedding ceremony and reception here this past Friday (4/7/17) and it was AMAZING!!! They are so caring at William Penn Inn and do everything they can to make your day perfect! We enjoyed every aspect of our day and couldn't have asked for anything better!!! We loved... Read More the William Penn inn!!!

Reviewed on 3/29/2017 Alysia H

This venue was amazing! The food was amazing, the place is beautiful, and the staff did an incredible job in making us feel worry free about our big day. People still talk about our wedding here! They were super easy to work with from booking our wedding to the end of the... Read More wedding. I would highly recommend here!

Reviewed on 1/20/2017 Carla S

Where do I even begin, the William Penn Inn was FANTASTIC! The venue itself is beautiful, elegant, and historic. The food is fabulous. The wedding planning staff, Monica (the wedding planner), Kate (the florist), and Kelly (wedding day coordinator), were just amazing. I had a... Read More lot of questions along the way which I sent to the staff and they always got back to me quickly and thoughtfully. They made the wedding planning process stress free. The wedding package is absolutely worth it! The cake that is included was delicious, and all of our decorations(flowers) and ambiance were gorgeous! Like I mentioned the food was wonderful, all of our guests raved about it. We also had our rehearsal dinner there and that was wonderful too! Lastly, the wait staff and the hospitality of the William Penn Inn can not be praised enough. They are welcoming and helpful. There was a server that took care of just our parents' table’s at the wedding. They were also constantly checking on us, making sure we were enjoying ourselves and asking if we needed anything. We had an amazing time and will be returning customers of the William Penn Inn. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone!

Reviewed on 1/10/2017 Kara S

William Penn Inn has always held a special place in my heart due to all of the family events I’ve attended there, and after having my wedding there, I love William Penn Inn even more! From the very first meeting there with Shelley, to meeting with Kate, the florist, sorting out... Read More details with Monica, and working with Kelly the day of our wedding, everything went very smoothly and according to plan. Everyone I worked with was a true professional, very knowledgeable, and most importantly- FUN! A William Penn Inn wedding is great for many, many, reasons but especially because they can do anything right there. The bakery makes the cake [which people LOVED], and flower shoppe can do the flowers, they have the linens, chairs, etc. I can’t recommend Kate, the flower shoppe manager enough. We had such a blast in our planning meetings and she really knows her stuff! As a girl who knows next to nothing about flowers, Kate’s expertise was much appreciated. I had my wedding in December and oh my gosh- the inn at Christmastime. There’s truly no place better or more beautiful. I always said I wouldn’t be one of those brides with a million wedding pictures throughout my house but with such gorgeous pictures from outside, how can I not?! :)

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Shelley M

The ceremony site is a hidden gem, you have no idea it's even there and it's somehow immune to the traffic noise that's a constant. The lit gazebo makes for great pictures and the food was absolutely delicious. We had decent cocktail service during our post-ceremony portrait... Read More session, and email communication wasn't always a breeze, but it turned out perfectly just the same. We also used their flower shop and Kate Marshall was fantastic! She was going through the process as a bride-to-be as well so she totally got what I was going through. She was flexible and able to help me refine & explain my vision. My sample bouquet was a dream and the finished products looked great! She even gave my mother her own little succulent, since she didn't want a whole corsage. Thanks!!