William Penn Inn

Gwynedd, PA

Book Your Wedding with William Penn Inn

A BALLROOM IN GWYNEDD, PA

Built in 1714, the William Penn Inn in Gwynedd, Pennsylvania, is a slice of Montgomery County history, serving much the same function today as it has for more than 300 years. The building itself is ideal for traditional summer wedding themes, with an elegant white facade, colorful gardens and carefully manicured lawns that benefit in places from the shade of several large trees. Available for ceremonies and receptions, this venue has several spaces for couples to choose from, both inside and out.

The Carriage Ballroom has a grand yet minimalist neutral decor. Some standout features of this versatile ballroom venue are its own mahogany bar, crystal chandeliers, candelabra wall lights, spacious hardwood dance floor, square columns and an authentic marble fireplace. It can accommodate up to 250 guests and may be used to host both ceremonies and receptions.

The Surrey Ballroom is essentially a smaller version of the Carriage Ballroom, with brass appointments and bow windows. It accommodates up to 120 guests.

The Commonwealth Club, Hunt Room and Penn's Tavern are warm rooms with European ambience. Each room can accommodate 10 to 40 guests for intimate indoor ceremonies and receptions.

Penn's Garden is a romantically secluded lawn area, shielded from public view by the surrounding flora. A paved center aisle extends for 80 feet to a wrought-iron ceremony gazebo, which sits atop a raised paved area beneath a large oak tree. The setting provides a beautiful backdrop for first-look photos.

The William Penn Inn's all-inclusive wedding package includes personal wedding planning and coordination services, as well as comprehensive catering. This covers a deluxe open bar for four or five hours, hot and cold hors d'oeuvres, a champagne toast and a three-course dinner with butlered wine service. Vegetarian and gluten-free entrees are available to be added to the menu. Also included are the wedding cake, which is baked by the William Penn Inn's own chef and fresh floral centerpieces from the on-site Floral Shoppe. Both the wedding cake and flower arrangements are specifically tailored to individual requests. White glove service is provided throughout the event. Outside caterers are not permitted and a food and beverage spending requirement is charged instead of a space rental fee.

The ceremony package covers space rental for one hour of event time and includes professional coordination, white garden or elegant banquet chairs, a ceremony table with floor-length linen and 45 minutes of rehearsal time scheduled Monday through Thursday. Couples holding their ceremony at the William Penn Inn are entitled to a 10 percent discount on a rehearsal dinner at the venue, to be held Monday through Thursday.

Some restrictions to keep in mind are the prohibition of confetti and indoor smoking. Events may end as late as 1 a.m. and amplified music is permitted both inside and outside the venue.

There are a number of additional benefits to keep in mind when considering the William Penn Inn as a ceremony or reception venue. These include:

• Use of sound system and microphone
  • Bride and groom's private dressing areas
  • Optional use of piano
  • On-site accommodations
  • Complimentary bridal suite
  • Complimentary private tasting for up to six guests

Keeping Promises for Over Three Centuries

An occasion to remember...European ambiance. Imaginative menus. Personal service. Flawless coordination. Complete wedding packages starting at $70.00 per person plus tax and gratuities.

Ballroom, Garden, Historic Venue, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

Route 202, Gwynedd, PA (215) 699-9272

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Jessie F

TL;DR: HAVE IT HERE AND DON'T EVEN THINK TWICE After we signed a contract with the William Penn Inn I would tell myself occasionally, during harried moments of wedding planning not to try to organize a "perfect" event. "That's a pipe dream," I'd say, buried in my inner... Read More monologue. "A recipe for disappointment. Don't even go there. Just do your best and as long as no one cries or bleeds then it'll be ok." But here I am, three weeks married, and I am actually able to say with all the sincerity in my cynical, cold heart that I Had A Perfect Wedding. And I have the William Penn Inn and their all-star staff to thank. Here are a few specific reasons why. 1) I admit freely that I am an over-thinker and a micro-manager. With any other venue these qualities probably would have transformed me into a bridezilla of epic proportions, or at least made me miserable. Not at the William Penn Inn, thanks to the efforts of Banquet Sales Manager Monica, who calmed my scattered bride brain—before "scattered" even had a chance to turn into "stressed"— literally dozens and dozens of times. She responded promptly (sometimes within mere -minutes-), answering my many annoying, numbered questions with many helpful, numbered answers. Furthermore, she was entirely open when we had questions about ways to customize our event and make it "ours"; virtually all of the things we asked for were possible, even warmly welcomed. Not to mention Monica was upbeat, relaxed, and positive in every single interaction we had with her from the time we met her in January to the time we said goodbye to her the morning after our wedding in September. How she did all this while managing God-knows-how-many other weddings is unclear to me. Anyway, when people ask me what kind of an experience it was to plan our wedding, I can't even truthfully say "stressful" (like most brides probably would). This is because of Monica. 2) The William Penn Inn is, first and foremost, a restaurant. It also happens to be a good restaurant, popular in the area, known for its consistently delicious food. For these reasons the food at your wedding WILL ALSO BE DELICIOUS. Our guests are still raving. Did I mention the impeccable service? 3) It's one-stop shopping and they think of everything! -Worried about flowers? Um, they take care of that. (Don't even get me STARTED on my bouquet, skillfully arranged by their in-house florist Kate. I literally said an emotional "good bye" to that bouquet before we had to leave for our honeymoon.) -What about the cake?! Created in-house! Our cake looked like it belonged on the cover of a glossy magazine. -Oh crap you have to find a wedding coordinator what? Noooo you don't. They give you one! Our coordinator, Kelly, helped us at our rehearsal and throughout our whole event, and was super poised and organized—I know she was working hard behind the scenes to help everything run smoothly. (AND she still found time to pour me some more champagne.) -Ok, well how about setting up all your reception stuff the day of? THEY DO THAT TOO. You just give your items to them and they put it together the way you envision. It was crazy to walk into our reception and see it all perfectly arranged just the way we wanted. That experience, more than anything, made me feel like a "guest at my own wedding", as they had promised. 4) It still blows my mind how little we ended up spending for an event like that. THANK YOU WPI, for some of the very best memories I have.

Reviewed on 9/01/2016 Jessica C

Getting married at the William Penn Inn was an amazing experience from our first visit to the last song of our wedding. First, the staff there is so patient, creative, and attentive. Monica responded to my continuous stream of questions quickly and in a way that always made... Read More me feel at ease. She worked with us to make sure the wedding was everything we wanted, and made us feel like we were the only wedding that she was planning! The food at William Penn Inn was delicious. We served a trio of sea bass, chicken, and steak and our guests raved about how good it was. Everyone loved the dessert sampler tray and our wedding cake was incredible. It was beautiful and it tasted as good as it looked (which is always surprising for a wedding cake). In addition, the William Penn Inn flower shop exceeded our expectations in putting together the decorations for our reception. It was more beautiful than I could have imagined. Kate at the flower shop understood everything we wanted and took it to the next level. Our guests could not get over how creative the centerpieces were, and how perfectly the colors popped. Kate was also so patient with us as we worked through the process of picking colors and designs, and was so good about working with our budget. I cannot say enough good things about every aspect of William Penn Inn. I highly recommend having your wedding here if you want a beautiful, stress-free wedding!

Reviewed on 3/23/2016

Wow! William Penn Inn, one word: AMAZING! My husband and I can't explain how overwhelming pleased we were with their service. From our first appointment to the actual wedding day, the folks at the WPI were phenomenal! It didn't matter that we were having a small combo... Read More ceremony/wedding at their facility, they always treated us special. The staff was so accommodating to any requests, while planning and the day of; including finding us the best date possible! We are so happy we moved the date (as they recommended) to be sure the WPI was decorated for the holiday season. The ambiance at WPI during the holiday season is spectacular. It is certainly a sight to see (inside and outside). It takes your breath away. The wedding packages offered are fantastic. It is truly money well spent for all the amenities and the level of service you receive. The food is delicious, from appetizers to entrees. The wedding cake was absolutely beautiful and delicious. We also used the WPI floral shop for my bouquet, all the floral arrangements, boutonnieres and the center pieces. Not only was it extremely convenient, all of the flowers were beautiful and so well arranged. The floral shop did a fantastic job and were so easy to work with. Needless to say, we were so thankful we chose WPI as our venue and cannot say enough about how unbelievably pleased we were with their service. They made our wedding day more special, more elegant, more intimate, and more beautiful than I had ever imagined. We will definitely be having our 1st anniversary dinner there! I would recommend the William Penn Inn to anyone planning a wedding or special event.

Reviewed on 7/25/2017 Gretchen B

We had our wedding at the William Penn Inn on June 30th, 2017. My husband, parents, and I were so impressed with the quality of service that we received throughout the entire process. We worked with Monica, and she was absolutely amazing. She helped keep us organized, was... Read More accommodating to all of my questions (and I had a lot), and made us feel so special at every meeting that we had. A big plus - we were allowed to have 6 guests at our tasting which allowed it to be a great pre-wedding event for us and both sets of parents. From the moment we got to the WPI, everything went smoothly. There was a beautiful & spacious bridal sweet for us to put down all of our belongs and freshen up before the pictures. We then used Penn's Garden to take all of pictures. The flowers were beautiful and there was plenty of space and variety in flowers, etc to take alot of different pictures. While we were in Penn's Garden during the cocktail hour, they had servers coming down to serve apps & drinks to us and the entire bridal party. I can't say enough amazing things about the William Penn Inn. It was the best decision to have our wedding there. If you both work and don't have the time to be dealing with a lot of different vendors and wedding planning craziness, WPI is the best option. In addition to great cocktail hour/reception services, they have an amazing onsite floral boutique that did all of our flowers & made 2 delivery spots, as well as, a wonderful onsite bakery which made our cake as well! It is a one stop wedding stop and they do everything with such care and attention to detail. For the past few weeks I have had guests from the wedding come up and tell us how they had the best time at our wedding. Comments like: Tons of space to dance the night away, delicious apps during the cocktail hour, and best dinner at a wedding they ever had!

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 Jennifer P

The Inn is just beautiful & staff is wonderful! We had our wedding ceremony & reception there in June & everything on the day of went perfectly!! It looked exactly as I'd envisioned, everyone raved about their food, and it was a magical day. We don't have any shortage of... Read More great things to say about Shelley who helped with the planning process, our day-of coordinator, Colin, and the rest of staff! We also opted to use the in-house florist, Kate, who was a pleasure to work with & made everything look beautiful. I highly recommend the Inn for your wedding if you want a classic, beautiful venue with charm & wonderful service!

Reviewed on 6/01/2017 Melissa S

I cannot rave enough about the William Penn Inn. The food, ambiance, and staff were simply amazing. I wish I could give them more than five stars because they significantly exceeded my expectations. The value of their wedding packages far exceeds the cost. I would HIGHLY... Read More recommend this venue to any soon-t0-be bride or groom!

Reviewed on 5/16/2017 Felicia M

I cannot say enough good things about the William Penn Inn! Everything was perfect from the set up to the cake to the flowers. Monica, Kate and Kelly did an amazing job. The entire night went smoothly and every possible concern was taken care of before I could even think of... Read More it. Highly highly recommend!!!

Reviewed on 4/21/2017 Samantha S

I had my wedding here in April of 2017 and it was perfect. From the beginning they took care of everything. They make your cake, they make excellent food, the flowers were beautiful and they are reasonably priced. Shelley was our person throughout the planning process and Robin... Read More was our day of person. They were both phenomenal. The day went smoothly, there were no issues and it was fun. Everybody thought the food was amazing. I'm still obsessing over the tangerine glazed salmon.

Reviewed on 4/16/2017 Elizabeth O

The best experience I could of ever had !!! The William Penn is top of the line, the venue is 100% perfect ! I could not of asked for a better Wedding. They are amazing at what they do! The food , flowers, cake, bridal suite, servers, wedding coordinators, the room was above and... Read More beyond what I could of ever dreamed of, thank you so much for making our special day a dream come true !!!

Reviewed on 4/10/2017 Shawna F

We had our wedding ceremony and reception here this past Friday (4/7/17) and it was AMAZING!!! They are so caring at William Penn Inn and do everything they can to make your day perfect! We enjoyed every aspect of our day and couldn't have asked for anything better!!! We loved... Read More the William Penn inn!!!

Reviewed on 3/29/2017 Alysia H

This venue was amazing! The food was amazing, the place is beautiful, and the staff did an incredible job in making us feel worry free about our big day. People still talk about our wedding here! They were super easy to work with from booking our wedding to the end of the... Read More wedding. I would highly recommend here!

Reviewed on 1/20/2017 Carla S

Where do I even begin, the William Penn Inn was FANTASTIC! The venue itself is beautiful, elegant, and historic. The food is fabulous. The wedding planning staff, Monica (the wedding planner), Kate (the florist), and Kelly (wedding day coordinator), were just amazing. I had a... Read More lot of questions along the way which I sent to the staff and they always got back to me quickly and thoughtfully. They made the wedding planning process stress free. The wedding package is absolutely worth it! The cake that is included was delicious, and all of our decorations(flowers) and ambiance were gorgeous! Like I mentioned the food was wonderful, all of our guests raved about it. We also had our rehearsal dinner there and that was wonderful too! Lastly, the wait staff and the hospitality of the William Penn Inn can not be praised enough. They are welcoming and helpful. There was a server that took care of just our parents' table’s at the wedding. They were also constantly checking on us, making sure we were enjoying ourselves and asking if we needed anything. We had an amazing time and will be returning customers of the William Penn Inn. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone!

Reviewed on 1/10/2017 Kara S

William Penn Inn has always held a special place in my heart due to all of the family events I’ve attended there, and after having my wedding there, I love William Penn Inn even more! From the very first meeting there with Shelley, to meeting with Kate, the florist, sorting out... Read More details with Monica, and working with Kelly the day of our wedding, everything went very smoothly and according to plan. Everyone I worked with was a true professional, very knowledgeable, and most importantly- FUN! A William Penn Inn wedding is great for many, many, reasons but especially because they can do anything right there. The bakery makes the cake [which people LOVED], and flower shoppe can do the flowers, they have the linens, chairs, etc. I can’t recommend Kate, the flower shoppe manager enough. We had such a blast in our planning meetings and she really knows her stuff! As a girl who knows next to nothing about flowers, Kate’s expertise was much appreciated. I had my wedding in December and oh my gosh- the inn at Christmastime. There’s truly no place better or more beautiful. I always said I wouldn’t be one of those brides with a million wedding pictures throughout my house but with such gorgeous pictures from outside, how can I not?! :)

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Shelley M

The ceremony site is a hidden gem, you have no idea it's even there and it's somehow immune to the traffic noise that's a constant. The lit gazebo makes for great pictures and the food was absolutely delicious. We had decent cocktail service during our post-ceremony portrait... Read More session, and email communication wasn't always a breeze, but it turned out perfectly just the same. We also used their flower shop and Kate Marshall was fantastic! She was going through the process as a bride-to-be as well so she totally got what I was going through. She was flexible and able to help me refine & explain my vision. My sample bouquet was a dream and the finished products looked great! She even gave my mother her own little succulent, since she didn't want a whole corsage. Thanks!!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Kristina B

Our wedding planner, Monica Ganter was absoutely amazing! She made everything stress free! Our guests raved about the service and food at our wedding on 10/21/16! We could not have asked for a better experience on our very special day!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Sakiya S

Working with William Penn Inn makes the process of getting married less stressful. Everything is explained to you and there are no tricks or gimmicks to squeeze more money out of you. I used the Carriage Room which was beautiful. Monica and Kate helped me throughout the process... Read More with planning and flowers. The only thing I wish was different is that I met the day of coordinator prior to the morning of the wedding. I would recommend WPI to anyone looking to celebrate a special occasion.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Katie B

I honestly cannot say enough great things about the William Penn Inn! You can tell they have been doing this for years. From the initial meeting to the tasting and finally the wedding itself. Everything was handled with class. Our guests are still talking about it to this... Read More day!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Libby K

Thank you William Penn Inn for making my day an unforgettable experience! I can say with great confidence that the William Penn Inn has this wedding thing down to a science. Every detail of my my wedding was perfectly planned and executed. With a lovely venue, friendly staff,... Read More and dangerously delicious food this truly was the most memorable day of my life!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Emily L

This place was amazing. I could not imagine a better location for family and friends. Even with the weather issues we had, they were so accommodating and such a kind, sweat and helpful group of people. The food was amazing and every guest told me how much of an awesome time they... Read More had. Everyone was amazing from the service to the top. We give a special THANK YOU SO MUCH to Monica Ganter. She made us so comfortable and we always left a conversation with her feeling relaxed and happy. I can't thank them enough for making me and my husband's evening the best night of our lives! I recommend this place to anyone and everyone. You will not be disappointed. If you're looking for a number one spot, this place is it!

Reviewed on 7/25/2016 Maureen D

From the minute I met with Monica to the second I left, the professionalism and perfection of the entire staff at the William Penn inn was astounding. We got married here last weekend and through the stress of wedding planning, I sincerely looked forward to talking to Monica;... Read More she always made me feel at ease, like everything was taken care of. And it was! I showed up on our wedding day and didn't worry about a single thing all night. They really helped in making it the best day of my entire life. Special shout out to Kate who did the flowers; I made my own bouquets but she was so cool about the included centerpieces and everything else! Plus, seriously, the food is amazing. I'm lucky to have worked with these guys!

Reviewed on 7/18/2016

Our son and daughter-in-law had their wedding ceremony and reception here recently and it was wonderful! From the appetizers to the dessert, everything was perfect. A big thanks to Monica and her staff. Not only did the Bride and Groom enjoy their wedding day, but all the guests... Read More had a wonderful time also. Thankyou again for making this a memorable day for all involved!

Reviewed on 3/26/2016

We can't say enough good things about this place for weddings and receptions. We held my daughter's wedding and reception here in early March 2016. The event was fabulous! Monica (the wedding planner) and Kate (the florist) were terrific, and provided support to my daughter and... Read More wife all the way through the planning process. Kate bent over backwards to try to find a few special floral and fabric touches for the banquet room that my daughter wanted. The finished room was beautiful, Kate did a sensational job with the draping, flowers and bouquets. We were initially worried a little about the food as during several visits to the restaurant and at the tasting we weren't terribly impressed, but at the reception the food was superior and definitely not typical "banquet fare". The only negatives were a slight mix up with the wedding runner, and a strange interaction with their banquet manager when we paid the bill with a certified check two days before the ceremony. My daughter had ordered an extra dinner for one of the vendors involved (for about $38) and we were treated oddly because the certified check wasn't for the exact amount of the bill. Given the amount we were spending for a reception with 120 guests this attitude was somewhat off-putting over the small amount of money involved. The William Penn also has four hotel rooms which we booked for members of the wedding party. The rooms are clean and adequate but nothing to write home about. Weddings and banquet business are clearly the focus of the William Penn, with the hotel rooms being for the convenience of the wedding parties. Note that there are nice hotel accommodations for out-of-town guests at other facilities within an easy two to three mile drive on US 202. The place does have a separate bridal room for use by the bride and bridesmaids in preparation for the service or reception. This room is lovely and use of the room is included the reception package. In summary, if you are looking for a place in the Philadelphia area for a beautiful reception my wife and I suggest you consider the William Penn Inn. (We also posted this review on Google.)

Exceptional Night

Reviewed on 11/09/2015 Ashley C

We could not have asked for a more perfect night for our wedding! From beginning to end everyone at the William Penn Inn were courteous and made sure we were always taken care of! Monica was awesome throughout the whole process and answered any and all questions in a quick and... Read More timely fashion! Kate in the floral department saw our vision and made it come to life better and bigger then we had ever expected! Sue made sure we were taken care of throughout the day of and was wonderful through the whole event making everything go off without a hitch! I could not have picked a better place to have my wedding! The food was amazing and our cake was wonderful! The bar staff did a great job! I have no complaints at all and commend everyone on a job well done!!! The William Penn Inn truly was exceptional!!!

Best Night!!

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Allison M

I had my ceremony and reception at the William Penn Inn. The space and grounds are beautiful. I fell in love instantly with this venue and then with all the staff that was wonderful to work with. I loved the fact that a lot was included and I didn't have to go off site and make... Read More more work for myself with finding a florist or baker. Everyone was always very helpful with my questions, Monica was amazing to work with while we were doing all the planning. We had Kate for all of our flower and centerpiece concerns, also great. The day of our wedding we had Kelly as our banquet manger and she was amazing. She was everywhere to make sure we had everything we needed and everything was going as planned. Overall I loved this place and loved working with all the great people!!

Perfect Fairy Tale Wedding

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Jennifer B

From the moment my fiancee and I met with Monica at the William Penn Inn, I knew that this was where I wanted to get married. The venue has an absolutely gorgeous/romantic/vintage/antique feel. The service is extraordinary, and the staff makes you feel like you are real... Read More royalty. Monica went above and beyond in helping me plan my perfect wedding. Kate in the floral department is fantastic. The food is delicious, not what you expect when cooking for a mass amount of people, but they surpass all expectations. I would recommend this venue for everyone!