Woodend Sanctuary

(14)

Chevy Chase, MD

Capacity: Up to 150 | WEBSITE | PHONE

Woodend, with Georgian revival architecture, offers a relaxed yet elegant country home setting on 40 acres adjacent to Rock Creek Park. Outdoors, a charming grove presents a romantic backdrop for ceremonies while the Great Hall, with its staircase and balcony, allows a warm and gracious alternative. Three sets of French doors open to our custom tent-covered stone terrace. Rentals benefit the Audubon Naturalist Society.

• Indoor Ceremony Area

Mansion/Historic Site

8940 Jones Mill Rd, Chevy Chase, MD

Simply the best

Reviewed on 11/11/2010 Denise R

I feel in love with Woodend on my first visit...couldn't wait to sign the contract. And, I'm so pleased to say that it lived up to everything I expected. I love the natural beauty of fall foliage and wanted a setting for our ceremony and reception where that would be the focus, so Woodend could not have been more perfect (and I'm sure it's beautiful in every season). Getting married down in the Grove was majestic and the space of the mansion made for a elegant, yet comfortable reception, with different areas for seating, dancing, and the buffet and bar. Positive experiences with the staff leading up to and after the wedding sealed the deal, and the tax deduction makes it an incredible value in this market. Do yourself a favor and check out Woodend before you book with any other venue in the area.

Gorgeous venue!

Reviewed on 10/12/2010 Kelli P

Woodend was exactly what we were looking for in a wedding venue. We wanted to have both ceremony and reception at the same place to make it as easy on our guests as possible, and Woodend is a beautiful place to do this. So many guests commented on what a gorgeous setting it was, and we couldn't agree more. The list of caterers seems limiting, but as a result you use a company that knows the venue well, and can really make sure the event goes smoothly. I would definitely recommend Woodend to anyone who wants a quaint, yet elegant outdoor ceremony.

Review for Woodend Mansion

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Renee L

It was tucked away in the woods. Not seen from the street..very romantic!

We love Woodend!

Reviewed on 6/11/2014 Laura B

Even though we originally thought we would want our wedding ceremony and reception at a hotel, we immediately knew upon visiting the site that Woodend would be our venue. Rebecca is very organized, professional and easy to work with. The venue is open to the public, so we could visit the ceremony and reception site multiple times with our friends, family and vendors before the big day. The scenery is just gorgeous in May - everything is lush and green, and many of the trees/flowers were blooming. There were deer romping nearby during our ceremony, which maybe not everyone would like - but we loved it! Additionally, we are bird-watchers and nature-lovers, so the fact that Woodend is on the grounds of the Audubon Naturalist society was a big plus for us. They provide you with a 1-year membership and part of the cost of the rental is tax-deductible, which is also great. Woodend provided everything that was in the contract and things really went off without a hitch. The site manager who was there the night of our wedding was helpful, too. We needed him to adjust the temperature in the bridal suite area and he was accessible to our other vendors, too.

Great venue

Reviewed on 9/08/2013 Vanessa V

Absolutely stunning location, and Rebecca, the site manager, was very nice to work with. For a venue owned and run by the Audubon Society, it is rather pricey. I have no regrets, because I fell in love with the venue and couldn't have imagined getting married anywhere else, but I know there are other comparative venues out there that are MUCH less expensive. One thing to keep in mind -- there's basically no flexibility in your contract. This isn't exactly a negative, but definitely be aware of it. You have to pay extra to schedule your rehearsal; availability for your rehearsal depends on what other events they have going on; you can't arrive early to take photos on the premises if there's an event before yours; and you are expected to get out by the agreed upon time, no exceptions. (Which is basically what you'd expect from a contract). Overall, very satisfied.

Perfect

Reviewed on 11/14/2012 Laura M

As soon as my (now) husband and I saw this place we fell in love with it. Everything about it...the outdoors and the mansion and beautiful. And the staff is just as impressive! It's not cheap, but if you can book this venue, you WILL have a beautiful setting for your wedding.

Beautiful Place but stressful set up

Reviewed on 10/18/2012 Sarah S

Woodend Sanctuary is a really beautiful location for a small wedding (50-125 people). They have very strict rules about set up time and do not let you on to the property before 5:30 to start setting up for your event. I did not have a wedding planner or a florist so it was their inability to compromise and let us onto the location before 5:30 made for an extremely hectic day and put a damper on the wedding. With that said, everything else was beautiful. If you have the budget to have a florist and wedding planner take care of everything then Woodend is a wonderful venue. However if you are a low-budget or DIY bride then don't let the asking price fool you - it may not be worth the stress of the set-up.

Beautiful location

Reviewed on 6/25/2012 Bonnie Y

If the weather cooperates - its one of the best outdoor wedding venues in the DC area. We didn't feel a need for extra decorations because the venue itself is gorgeous. The staff was easy to work with and know all the answers to any questions of may have. Be warned - this place books early - more than a year and a half ahead at times!

Beautiful

Reviewed on 6/04/2012 Lauren G

Woodend is really spectacular. We had both our ceremony and reception here, which made the wedding flow effortlessly. Our guests loved the beautiful scenery and the herds of deer that visited at dusk. The mansion itself is very pretty and requires little additional decor. The staff is helpful and responsive, making coordinating events easy. We are so happy we chose this venue!

Fabulous location!!

Reviewed on 1/13/2012 Marie V

My fiancee and I visited several mansions in the area for possible reception sites. The second we walked into Woodened we kne this was our spot, we squeezed each others hands and signed on the dotted line. The location sit atop 30+ acrea of woodlands and is extremely romantic. All the pics we saw were of receptions in the summer, we were having a winter wedding so we eere hoping it would be just as romantic. Turns out, the mansion during the winter is even more beautiful and our winter photos turned out bery scenic. If you are looking for something different, this is definetely the place!!

Beautiful and $ Going to a Good Place

Reviewed on 9/05/2011 Lily A

When I was looking at venues, it was a simple choice- if I'm going to be spending (a LOT) of money on a venue then why just give it to some people who own a mansion when it could go towards preserving nature? Rebecca Robinson is the wedding coordinator and she is a pleasure to work with. The site is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Just the grove itself is worth it because it is so gorgeous. *My one regret: We had a DJ I had my recception on the patio under the tent and since no amplified music is allowed outside the DJ was inside next to the staircase. The idea was that the open doors to the patio would be enough to create a flow from inside to outside and that people would come inside to dance etc. Maybe it was just my guests, or the DJ or something, but very few people went in to dance and having the indoor space was kind of pointless. If you're not having music coming out of speakers- I'd say plan everything outside. If you are using speakers- just don't expect the flow to work (even though the caterer said that people often do that and it works out fine- I guess it just doesn't always).

A Magical Place for Your Special Day

Reviewed on 11/15/2010 Nicole J

Stop. Looking. Now! Woodend is the best place to have your wedding. Tucked into a neighborhood just outside of D.C., it is so elegant and beautiful. The natural backdrop of the grove for your wedding ceremony, the beauty of the grounds surrounding, and the mansion itself. What an elegant affair we had to celebrate our wedding. It is very reasonably priced, especially considering how expensive it can be to have your wedding in the DC area. Rebecca Robinson is really helpful in making arrangements for use of the space. All of our guests had such a wonderful time and could not stop remarking how gorgeous everything at Woodend was.

Amazing scenery, but a bit overpriced...

Reviewed on 11/12/2010 Leslie A

The setting is beautiful, but $3800 plus an $800 deposit for 8 hours with nothing included is a bit pricey for a Friday night. The wedding was absolutely beautiful, but it is a historic building- so there are strict rules about decorating and removing decorations. If you want a beautiful day of snow-white scenery with Bambi walking in during your ceremony- this is the place! Be aware- once you book here, you are REQUIRED to use one of their preferred caterers if you are having food!

Send Email