Chicago History Museum

Chicago, IL

Make your wedding one for the history books

The Chicago History Museum is a classic wedding destination in the heart of Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood. With breathtaking views and beautiful Georgian-style architecture, our Chicago Room is the perfect setting for your unforgettable moment.

Guest Capacity

Museum, Historic Venue

1601 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL

TL; DR – beautiful spaces, easy parking, FANTASTIC staff!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Esther W

My husband and I got married here in July 2015. If I had to plan another wedding (which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon!), I’d come back to CHM. Yes, they have gorgeous indoor and outdoor spaces, but it’s more than that. The staff was professional in every sense, and the... Read More whole process—from the initial paperwork to the very end of the reception—went smoothly. Communication was easy peasy; I usually got a reply the same day of sending my e-mail. I don’t know if every event place does this, but I really liked that once you sign the contract, they send you a detailed timeline for milestones, such as payment due dates, when your beverage order should be finalized, when you should have your rehearsal, etc. Another great thing is that since CHM has been hosting events/weddings for years, they know a lot of vendors and a lot of vendors know how to work with them. My then-fiancé and I had no idea where to start with flowers, and the list of suggested florists that came with our registration packet was very helpful – it had florists for a range of budgets, and we eventually chose one from that list. There are certain rules for the space since it’s a museum (conservation first!), so our florist already knew when he could deliver them to the museum and to not bring feathers or loose dirt. A big reason why we chose CHM is because we wanted a one-stop wedding in order to make things easier for our guests, especially the elderly and the out-of-towners. The museum has a parking garage, so your guests don’t have to hunt for parking in this notoriously spot-scarce area. They pick up a validation ticket at the reception, a CHM staff member tallies the total amount taken by your guests, and then you pay for that amount. One more thing of note – we started the process with Jessie P., and Jessica T. took over when she left. The transition was pretty much seamless with Sarah N. answering questions in the interim; there were no delays with wedding planning.

Perfect in Every Way

Reviewed on 9/25/2014 Krista H

We had such a lovely time planning and hosting our wedding with Chicago History Museum. The process ran smoothly from the moment we first scheduled our viewing (which was scheduled for the afternoon after I made my first phone call) to the last minutes of our wedding reception... Read More (when CHM staff packed up the entire room, leaving my parents only responsible for driving up to the loading dock to accept the boxes of our belongings.) No detail was overlooked, and as we reflect on the evening, we can say that our evening was simply -- perfect. Our wedding coordinator, Sarah N., is a professional who knows how to oversee a flawless event while simultaneously keeping a calm (and fun!) demeanor. Through the planning process, she outlined all deadlines for payment, etc. up front, but was considerate enough to send reminders in the days leading up to those deadlines, to ensure I hadn't forgotten them in the midst of all other details. A month prior to the wedding day, CHM hosted an 'event walk-through' where all vendors could gather together to play out the evening and ensure that every piece was considered, and that we had a voice into it all. This part was crucial for me, as I got to witness how well CHM works with its caterers (they have four from which you can select) and I knew our guests were in good hands. On the actual wedding day, our ceremony + cocktail hour plans were changed as it was pouring outside, and we would not be enjoying the outdoor plaza. But again, the staff was gracious and accommodating in ensuring Plan B was just as desirable. They even allowed us to take over the indoor space for family pictures / lingering until the ceremony began, while they somehow managed to set everything up in the background - without us even noticing they were there. Lastly, the kindness of the staff is something worth noting. The bartenders and front desk staff members were welcoming, professional and attentive, and even complimented us on having such nice friends and family. It was humbling to hear that we were represented well, and that all parties enjoyed the evening. I highly recommend using CHM to host a wedding. Nothing was overlooked by Sarah and the CHM staff, and it's my pleasure to say that outside of the weather (which unfortunately CHM does not control) I did not worry about a thing the entire day. The only thoughts claiming my attention were centered around celebrating with my friends, family and new husband - and that alone was worth spending the extra money it took to host it here.

A Fairy Tale Wedding Venue!

Reviewed on 8/23/2014

Venue: CHM was my dream venue! It's a classic venue with immeasurable character, rooted in rich history and serviced by great people. Our guests raved about the venue all night and thanks to CHM, we have hundreds of timeless photos and memories that we will cherish for many... Read More decades to come. My favorite things about the venue have to be the plaza pillars, museum exhibit, checkered reception floor, Frank Lloyd Wright stain glass and the Robinson gallery! The great thing about CHM is that even if you're stuck inside due to the weather (as we partially were!), you're still surrounded by beauty and so many great photo opportunities. Service: CHM has incredible service. I'm not sure if Jessie, our venue coordinator, ever slept because whenever I emailed to ask her a question, she'd get back to me within the hour, day or night. My husband and I planned our Chicago wedding from London to make sure our hometown friends and family could attend. I didn't realise how important it'd be to have someone like Jessie help us along the way but given the added challenge of planning from afar, I don't know what we would have done without her! We had a day of coordinator as well but having someone who knows your event space inside and out on your wedding day was incredibly helpful. Price: Quick tip: There are a few things to keep in mind about the price with CHM. When you book with CHM, you are committing to pay the price to rent the venue and to buy your alcohol package through CHM. You're also committing to go with 1 of a few caterers approved by the venue and lastly, you are responsible for renting the furniture you need on your wedding day. (CHM can source the equipment you need, if you wish to rent furniture through them.) CHM makes this very clear before you sign anything. However, I'd just recommend that you estimate how much each of these things might cost as making the commitment to the venue will affect other decisions that you make.

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Katie

My husband and I got married at the Chicago History Museum in July 2015 and could not have asked for a better experience! We immediate fell in love with the classic, timeless space, stained glass, black and white checkered floor, and stunning terrace. Throughout the wedding... Read More planning process, I was impressed by Jessie P and Jessica T's knowledge of the industry, professionalism, genuine nature and dedication to helping us best optimize the space for our guest count. It rained just hours before guests were to arrive, causing us to move the ceremony and cocktails inside at the last minute and was blown away with the experience and professionalism the CHM staff exhibited in flipping the space seamlessly and thoughtfully! My guests had no idea that we were operating on "Plan B" and it was a completely stress free experience for me. The evening turned out better than I ever could have imagined and I cannot say enough good things about this venue and the staff. Thank you Jessica T and the whole CHM staff for creating such beautiful memories for us and our guests! I highly recommend this venue! We loved it!

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Courtney W

We had our October 3rd wedding here and everything was just perfect! Sarah and Melanie at the History museum kept in touch with us constantly and made sure every detail was taken care of! The venue is beyond beautiful. My now husband and I love Chicago and having our wedding... Read More here was the perfect way to incorporate our love of the city and Chicago history. The rooms are beautiful and showcase any sort of decor and floral you want. We also had our ceremony at the museum and the stained glass windows give it just enough "church" feel. I cannot express how wonderful everything was and how beautiful.

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Rachel W

My husband and I celebrated our wedding at the Chicago History Museum this past June, and I cannot say enough how absolutely spectacular it was. From the moment we booked, the staff at the museum and our coordinator Sarah were so incredibly helpful. We had alot (and I mean alot)... Read More of questions throughout the planning process, and Sarah was always there, ready to get us the answer we needed. The venue itself was stunning -- I chose to go with a neutral color palette because I didn't want to take away from the beauty of the Chicago room, and it was such a good choice. The room was perfect for our 275 guests (didn't feel crowded at all), and the lighting, the stained glass, the checked floor in the center of the all added up to the wedding of my dreams. Our wedding was in early June, so the weather was nice but still a little chilly. Our ceremony and cocktail hour were scheduled to be outside, which from the beginning I had wanted. While we held the ceremony outside, my wedding planner and the team at CHM made the decision to pull cocktail hour inside because it was just too cold, and it turned out to be perfect. I was nervous about the change, but everything went so smoothly - there was plenty of room for guests to mingle in the foyer underneath the beautiful chandelier, and it was as if it was always supposed to be held inside. Other notes: the bar staff was fantastic, getting everyone their drinks in record time! I really can't say enough good things about CHM - I could not imagine getting married anywhere else, and am so glad we chose it for a venue. Last note: the day after our wedding we received a book about historical Chicago weddings and a bottle of champagne from the team at CHM...just another amazing touch.

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Kinsley E

If Chicago ever elected a "grand dame" of event spaces, I would cast my vote for The Chicago Room. I fell in love with this space a few years ago when I attended another event here, and we were thrilled to host our 100-guest wedding here in September. Reflecting the Georgian... Read More architecture of the original building, the Chicago Room has hardwood floors, high ceilings, and big windows that look over Lincoln Park - this place breathes a classic elegance. It feels historic, but it most definitely does not feel old - rather, it feels timeless. And it boasts enough design elements and restrained decorative touches - such as the chevron-patterned wood floors and stained-glass windows - that it requires minimal decoration. The Chicago Room includes two other adjacent spaces (an entryway and an outdoor plaza). We held both our ceremony and reception there, and used all three spaces. One fun perk is the black-and-white tile floor that separates the two halves of the room. It is perfect for dancing! We placed our DJ there and we strung cafe lights (in lieu of uplighting) over the floor. Even the entrance to the Chicago Room, the Robinson Gallery, is gorgeous - a brick-floor hallway with columns and chandeliers, it is an event space unto itself. We used it for the cards/gifts/placecard tables along with the open bar after dinner. Perhaps my favorite perk is that the outdoor Uihlein Plaza is included with the price of the Chicago Room. We held the ceremony and cocktail reception outdoors before moving indoors for the reception. This being Chicago, with wildly unpredictable weather, the museum worked with us to create two plans in case we had to be all indoors. We were able to wait until one week before the wedding to make the final call, which is generous given the amount of work they have to do in either scenario! The Plaza is also beautiful and huge, overlooking Lincoln Park. We used minimal decorations for our outdoor ceremony - we just erected a simple birch bower, and let the Park be our main backdrop. Working with the museum was easy. Sarah Novosad and Melanie Enright were lovely to work with - professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and responsive. The museum also supplies setup and cleaning crews, coatcheck, and security - all of whom were equally professional. The museum did a brilliant job of making our event seem seamless. An important thing to note that as a museum, they do have certain restrictions regarding caterers, alcohol, and decorations. For catering, CHM only works with four exclusive caterers - all of whom are excellent, but none of whom are cheap. For alcohol, CHM supplies their own bar packages, which are reasonably priced. The one problem I encountered was with the wine list. Supplying our own wine would have cost a $30/bottle corking fee (which was out of our budget), so CHM offered us the option to swap in wines of our choosing, if we could find wines carried by CHM's distributors at the same price point as the house wines (Canyon Road). I asked, but never did find out whom the distributors were or what price points the for the house wines, and my wine selections were rejected by the museum. So we wound up upgrading to their highest-priced package, just to secure better wines. Certain decorations are prohibited - mostly anything that could affect their exhibits. They brought that up on my first tour, so I was well-warned. Just be sure to book early - this place goes fast!

Reviewed on 10/22/2015 Abbie C

My wife and I got married in August 2015 and celebrated with our reception at CHM. Our goal was to find a place that could compliment our vision of a place with classic architecture, a clean canvas, and plenty of room and character to entertain in. CHM was the ideal place for... Read More us in Chicago. The coordinator staff was extremely helpful and very informative as this place turns a lot of events, as it should. They treated us like royalty and we truly had an amazing experience with CHM.

Reviewed on 10/22/2015 Rachel H

I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding here, and it was one of the best I've been to (and I've been to a lot). The space was beautiful and everything was well coordinated. They have a bridal room which was a great amenity that you might expect at a banquet hall or event... Read More space, but not necessarily a museum. They were able to accommodate a brunch wedding and they even let guests have access to the museum after the wedding. I would definitely recommend as a venue to someone looking for a beautiful and unique spot.

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

We had our brunch wedding here in July2015. Everything was fantastic! The planning was daunting, but the CHM staff was extremely professional and helpful. I believe wedding ratings should be heavily weighted based on communication, and they were very prompt with their replies,... Read More etc. We got exactly what we wanted from a wedding/reception venue. the weather held up for the outdoor ceremony (probably our biggest stressor), and the reception was a grand time. Perhaps the second best compliment I can give is, all the other vendors we worked with seemed glad to be working with CHM for our event. As others may have said: the best compliment I can give is, I would not change anything if we had to do it again (like, if our marriage certificate got lost in the mail or something). For some reason The Knot currently lists the capacity at 251-300. Our wedding was around 170, so I have no idea what The Knot is talking about.

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Maggie W

I just had my wedding at CHM last Saturday, October 17th! It was truly the wedding of our dreams! The venue is breathtaking...the people are beyond accommodating...and it was everything we wanted and more! I recommend this venue to EVERYONE!

Reviewed on 10/02/2015 Natalie K

Growing up in Chicago made it somewhat difficult to decide exactly where to get married since there are so many wonderful options, but as soon as we saw the Chicago History Museum we knew that it was the perfect place for our special day. There are so many reasons why this is... Read More the perfect venue option, but I'll just focus on three. 1) The indoor/outdoor space. We were lucky enough to be able to have our ceremony outside and then the reception inside. However, there was a wonderful backup plan if it rained (which every bride needs to keep her sanity). 2) The museum staff (especially those who deal with events) are a pleasure to work with. They were attentive, helpful, really willing to work with me and my special requests, and most importantly responsive. I think I asked about one million questions over my year of planning and they answered each and every one of them. 3) The museum has a wow factor! Even though you are at a museum, you are somewhat working with a blank canvas. You have the flexibility to turn the space into whatever you want. It really is a magical place to get married!

Reviewed on 9/29/2015 Sarah S

My husband and I just got married at the Chicago History Museum in August and it was a wonderful experience for us from start to finish. We loved working with Jessica Trent and the CHM staff - they're responsive, knowledgeable, courteous and friendly. We opted to have all of... Read More our events indoors (ceremony, cocktails, and the reception) and the space lends itself to that flow very nicely. It's an absolutely gorgeous venue and a fantastic place to get married!

Reviewed on 9/09/2015 Erin M

Wow what a wonderful venue! If you are looking for a non-hotel venue in Chicago, then you should get married at CHM. We worked with Sarah Novosad, and she was excellent! The reception was so smooth that I was just able to enjoy my husband and guests the entire time. The indoor... Read More space is stunning, and needs very little decoration to enhance the room. The outdoor space backs up to Lincoln Park, and the guests really appreciated being able to go inside and out when they were at the event. Get married here, you won't regret it!

Reviewed on 8/17/2015

If you're even remotely considering having your wedding at the Chicago History Museum, I'm going to make your decision easy: DO IT!!! You will be so, so glad you did. I just had my June wedding at CHM so I can now speak authoritatively on this matter. :) CHM is the best of all... Read More worlds: It's classic but contemporary, stately but fresh, beautiful outdoors, beautiful indoors, gorgeous hardwood plus that classic black and white checked dance floor, AND it's attached to my fave museum in the city. One highlight of this space is that, if you're planning on having an outdoor ceremony, the rain plan indoors is just as beautiful as the outdoor space, so if it rains you won't feel at all like you're settling. As perfect as the venue looks, though, that's not the best thing about having your wedding here; it's the staff! We worked with Sarah Novosad, who's one of those wedding professionals who you feel so confident in that as soon as you meet her, you stop worrying about everything because you know she's got it all under control. She's also extremely detail-oriented and patient; we exchanged dozens of emails leading up to our wedding, sometimes in painstaking levels of detail about a few special elements, and she always responded quickly and thoroughly. I felt completely confident in her ability to handle every day of our wedding, and that meant that on the day of I could enjoy every minute! I can't recommend CHM more as a wedding/party venue, and I'm so so happy that we went with them.

Perfect Winter Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 2/05/2015

We just had our wedding this January 2015 at the Chicago History Museum and I cannot be more positive about our experience. The site is stunning and lent itself to a warm, magical winter feel. We had both our ceremony and reception at the CHM and also opened up their permanent... Read More Chicago exhibit during cocktail hour for our 150 guests to explore. This was a huge hit and seemed especially appreciated by older guests who were less interested in cocktails and also those who did not know other guests previously. Having the exhibit open felt unique and fun, and was also loved by our friends and family from out of town. We worked with Jessie Pare, who guided us from beginning to end through the planning process. She was sweet, accessible, and knowledgeable; able to provide answers to our questions regarding budget, room layout, other vendors, and itinerary for the wedding weekend. She left no stone unturned and in essence acted as our day of coordinator without even being asked, doing things like reviewing a checklist of what I needed to bring to the rehearsal with me and helping our officiants map out the ceremony layout. She coordinated with our caterer, Blue Plate, and the combination of Jessie and Elinor, our contact at Blue Plate, made for a great team! We felt completely taken care of. Jessie also worked with our band, florist, photographer, and videographer to ensure everything ran smoothly and seamlessly. Leading up to the wedding and on the actual day I had complete confidence in the museum and Jessie, and we were able to fully enjoy the wedding itself. I highly recommend this venue and am hoping someone I know gets married here so I have an excuse to enjoy another wedding at the CHM!

Jessie Pare and the CHM will rock your wedding and world.

Reviewed on 11/11/2014

Our wedding celebration at the CHM was amazing. Jessie went above and beyond to make our day everything we hoped for. She provided vendor recommendations, gave thoughtful input regarding last minute details and planning, and was overall a pleasure to work with. Her intimate... Read More knowledge of the venue space, and warm personality helped to calm our nervous excitement and allowed us relax and enjoy our day. The venue itself was perfect for our 250 guest wedding. Our guests were blown away by the park views during our cocktail hour on the pavilion!

Perfect Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Maggie B

This is another rave review for the Chicago History Museum - we had our wedding there in late September and the experience exceeded all of my expectations. The Museum sells itself with its beautiful indoor and outdoor spaces. There was plenty of room for my 100+ guests and... Read More everyone enjoyed the exhibits and atmosphere of the Museum. The part that makes the Museum an exceptional place to have a wedding is the staff. We worked with Jessie P. and she managed the evening and event perfectly. She helped us schedule the event with our vendors and on the night of the wedding everything and everyone was on time and running smoothly. I am so happy we chose this venue - it is not cheap, but it is worth the price because the service and the experience are the best in the city.

Best Venue in Chicago

Reviewed on 9/16/2014 Kristin G

The Chicago History Museum is absolutely the best wedding venue in Chicago. The outdoor ceremony location was breathtaking. The park is so beautiful, it did not feel like we were in the middle of the city at all. The reception ballroom speaks for itself so you don't have to... Read More spend a lot of money on decorations. All of my guests loved the museum and visiting the exhibit during the cocktail hour. Jessie was awesome and thought of every detail ahead of time. You will not regret having your wedding here!

The perfect place to make history!

Reviewed on 8/18/2014 Hillary J

What a perfect wedding venue. We loved this space and working with Jessie. We used the patio in back for our ceremony. The setting is just gorgeous in the summer with the park and skyline views. It is nice a shaded back there too by 5:30pm in July, so it wasn't too hot! The... Read More ballroom is stunning with plenty of space. Jessie was so helpful in figuring out some of our details. She had great recommendations when we needed them. She was kind, responsive, and very helpful. There were some tricky situations with a few things and she handled them with grace and poise. We could not have been happier with our venue choice. Our guests loved it too!

Wedding at CHM June 2014

Reviewed on 7/06/2014 Marisa I

After seeing the Chicago History Museum in April of last year, we knew it was the place to have our wedding. We worked with Jessie who was extremely organized and helped make our wedding day very special. She was very helpful when we needed recommendation for videographers,... Read More bakery's etc. The whole day went off without any issues- even when rain forced our cocktails to be inside it was still beautifully done. Our friends and family are still raving about the wedding!

Best Venue in Chicago

Reviewed on 6/17/2014 Emily W

We had our May wedding at CHM and after searching all over Chicago for an interesting and unique venue, when we saw CHM we knew it was the one for us! Pros: It's a great place to have ceremony, reception and a cocktail hour in a single location. One of our favorite things about... Read More CHM is the rain plan for the ceremony, having the ceremony indoors, would be equally as beautiful as having it outdoors, so no room for disappointment if it rained on our day. The inside of the Chicago Room is elegant, it speaks for itself, and has Frank Lloyd Wright stain glass on display throughout. The cost to rent the museum is a bit on the steep end compared to other venues but I would say it's worth it - aesthetically you can't beat it. Not to mention its convenient and prime location in the city. At the museum we worked with Jessie Pare, she was a joy to work with she is very friendly and personable. You can tell CHM holds weddings almost every weekend, they know what they're doing there and will make sure everything goes smoothly on your big day. Cons: I can't say I really have any bad things to say about our experience with CHM they only cons in my book were it got really really hot during the reception when everyone was dancing and we were told they can't turn down the A/C or keep the back doors open due to the stain glass exhibits and fire that was a little uncomfortable. We had 165 guests and all fit very comfortably. CHM also has a list of exclusive caterer options, although I trust they have strong partners on their list, we were not thrilled with Jewell catering at all. Otherwise it's an excellent and timeless venue, would recommend to all my friends. Make sure you call Jessie early in your engagement CHM books up fast!

Stunning wedding venue!

Reviewed on 6/04/2014 Julia H

My husband and I had both our ceremony and reception held at the Chicago History Museum in late May. We knew from the minute we walked in that we wanted to get married there - the venue is stunning and timeless, the location is perfect, and the team was so responsive from the... Read More very beginning. I adored the historic Frank Lloyd Wright and Tiffany stained glass in the room, the classic black and white checkered dance floor, and the beautiful backdrop of the park behind the museum. We held our ceremony indoors (I wanted the stained glass as a backdrop for the ceremony - it was a nice compromise for some family members who wished we had been married in a church) and had the cocktail hour outside, which was a massive hit with our guests. We received compliments all night on how beautiful the venue was. Our primary contact, Jessie Pare, was fantastic to work with - knowledgeable, sweet, and easy going! I would highly recommend the venue to anyone looking for a unique, special spot in Chicago.

Great Venue

Reviewed on 4/24/2014 lindsay b

I looked online at various Chicago wedding venues and knew immediately that I wanted our wedding to be at the Chicago History Museum. It was the only venue I saw in person and Anna probably thought I was crazy when my mom and I breezed through quickly and asked what we needed... Read More to do to reserve it! It does book early - we toured the museum a week after I got engaged in Dec 2012 for a wedding in March 2014. I went on vacation shortly thereafter and got back to Anna about a week later saying I was sure I wanted to reserve March 29, 2014. In the space of that week, someone else had put a deposit down for my date! The person had 2 or 3 days to get their deposit in, otherwise their reservation cancelled and thankfully for me, they didn't turn in their deposit. I never would have dreamed that a weekend in March would book 15 months in advance! We had both the ceremony and the reception at the Museum - inside since it was late March and freezing. We saved a significant amount of money by booking in March over April ($3k), so we took the last Saturday in March. There are also discounted rates in January and February. Anna was great throughout the planning process and everything was easy. The Museum handles the liquor/bars, and when we wanted to try some of the wines on the wine list, they had complimentary bottles of each for us at the Museum to pick up and try ourselves. They were also flexible on the beer choices and serving a specialty cocktail that my mom likes. There were some charges that came up near the end of the planning process that I was not expecting - $250 to tune their own piano so our band could use it during cocktail hour and $250 to use their loading dock for an extra 30 minutes to allow all of the vendors sufficient time to unload. At that point, you just agree and blindly pay the the bills because you are so deep in wedding mindset that it doesn't even seem like a lot. But figured it was worth mentioning. Overall, the venue was great, Anna was great, and everyone had a wonderful time. Thank you CHM!

The Best Choice!

Reviewed on 2/20/2014 Ashley M

We got married this past January and had our reception at the Chicago History Museum. After searching far and wide through out Chicago and the Suburbs we stumbled upon the History Museum. We wanted a truly unique venue, and we definitely found it here. We worked closely with... Read More Anna at the Museum and are so thankful for all her help in planning and answering our random questions/meeting our needs. Not only is the Museum a Chicago staple, but it's history and access to the Chicago Crossroads Exhibit during our cocktail was just perfect for our diverse family and guest list. The one thing we continue to hear from our friends and family was that for many of them "it was the nicest wedding they had ever been to". We'd have to agree, but then again we're a bit biased. This is truly because of the unique venue but also because of the time and effort put in by Anna to make the night so perfect. Anna handled all our requests, put up with last minute changes, crazy family demands and even the guests we couldn't get to leave the party :) Thank you for making our night one that we will never forget!