Chicago History Museum

Chicago, IL

Make your wedding one for the history books

The Chicago History Museum is a classic wedding destination in the heart of Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood. With breathtaking views and beautiful Georgian-style architecture, our Chicago Room is the perfect setting for your unforgettable moment.

Museum, Historic Venue

1601 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL (312) 799-2254
PINTEREST

TL; DR – beautiful spaces, easy parking, FANTASTIC staff!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Esther W

My husband and I got married here in July 2015. If I had to plan another wedding (which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon!), I’d come back to CHM. Yes, they have gorgeous indoor and outdoor spaces, but it’s more than that. The staff was professional in every sense, and the... Read More whole process—from the initial paperwork to the very end of the reception—went smoothly. Communication was easy peasy; I usually got a reply the same day of sending my e-mail. I don’t know if every event place does this, but I really liked that once you sign the contract, they send you a detailed timeline for milestones, such as payment due dates, when your beverage order should be finalized, when you should have your rehearsal, etc. Another great thing is that since CHM has been hosting events/weddings for years, they know a lot of vendors and a lot of vendors know how to work with them. My then-fiancé and I had no idea where to start with flowers, and the list of suggested florists that came with our registration packet was very helpful – it had florists for a range of budgets, and we eventually chose one from that list. There are certain rules for the space since it’s a museum (conservation first!), so our florist already knew when he could deliver them to the museum and to not bring feathers or loose dirt. A big reason why we chose CHM is because we wanted a one-stop wedding in order to make things easier for our guests, especially the elderly and the out-of-towners. The museum has a parking garage, so your guests don’t have to hunt for parking in this notoriously spot-scarce area. They pick up a validation ticket at the reception, a CHM staff member tallies the total amount taken by your guests, and then you pay for that amount. One more thing of note – we started the process with Jessie P., and Jessica T. took over when she left. The transition was pretty much seamless with Sarah N. answering questions in the interim; there were no delays with wedding planning.

Perfect in Every Way

Reviewed on 9/25/2014 Krista H

We had such a lovely time planning and hosting our wedding with Chicago History Museum. The process ran smoothly from the moment we first scheduled our viewing (which was scheduled for the afternoon after I made my first phone call) to the last minutes of our wedding reception... Read More (when CHM staff packed up the entire room, leaving my parents only responsible for driving up to the loading dock to accept the boxes of our belongings.) No detail was overlooked, and as we reflect on the evening, we can say that our evening was simply -- perfect. Our wedding coordinator, Sarah N., is a professional who knows how to oversee a flawless event while simultaneously keeping a calm (and fun!) demeanor. Through the planning process, she outlined all deadlines for payment, etc. up front, but was considerate enough to send reminders in the days leading up to those deadlines, to ensure I hadn't forgotten them in the midst of all other details. A month prior to the wedding day, CHM hosted an 'event walk-through' where all vendors could gather together to play out the evening and ensure that every piece was considered, and that we had a voice into it all. This part was crucial for me, as I got to witness how well CHM works with its caterers (they have four from which you can select) and I knew our guests were in good hands. On the actual wedding day, our ceremony + cocktail hour plans were changed as it was pouring outside, and we would not be enjoying the outdoor plaza. But again, the staff was gracious and accommodating in ensuring Plan B was just as desirable. They even allowed us to take over the indoor space for family pictures / lingering until the ceremony began, while they somehow managed to set everything up in the background - without us even noticing they were there. Lastly, the kindness of the staff is something worth noting. The bartenders and front desk staff members were welcoming, professional and attentive, and even complimented us on having such nice friends and family. It was humbling to hear that we were represented well, and that all parties enjoyed the evening. I highly recommend using CHM to host a wedding. Nothing was overlooked by Sarah and the CHM staff, and it's my pleasure to say that outside of the weather (which unfortunately CHM does not control) I did not worry about a thing the entire day. The only thoughts claiming my attention were centered around celebrating with my friends, family and new husband - and that alone was worth spending the extra money it took to host it here.

A Fairy Tale Wedding Venue!

Reviewed on 8/23/2014

Venue: CHM was my dream venue! It's a classic venue with immeasurable character, rooted in rich history and serviced by great people. Our guests raved about the venue all night and thanks to CHM, we have hundreds of timeless photos and memories that we will cherish for many... Read More decades to come. My favorite things about the venue have to be the plaza pillars, museum exhibit, checkered reception floor, Frank Lloyd Wright stain glass and the Robinson gallery! The great thing about CHM is that even if you're stuck inside due to the weather (as we partially were!), you're still surrounded by beauty and so many great photo opportunities. Service: CHM has incredible service. I'm not sure if Jessie, our venue coordinator, ever slept because whenever I emailed to ask her a question, she'd get back to me within the hour, day or night. My husband and I planned our Chicago wedding from London to make sure our hometown friends and family could attend. I didn't realise how important it'd be to have someone like Jessie help us along the way but given the added challenge of planning from afar, I don't know what we would have done without her! We had a day of coordinator as well but having someone who knows your event space inside and out on your wedding day was incredibly helpful. Price: Quick tip: There are a few things to keep in mind about the price with CHM. When you book with CHM, you are committing to pay the price to rent the venue and to buy your alcohol package through CHM. You're also committing to go with 1 of a few caterers approved by the venue and lastly, you are responsible for renting the furniture you need on your wedding day. (CHM can source the equipment you need, if you wish to rent furniture through them.) CHM makes this very clear before you sign anything. However, I'd just recommend that you estimate how much each of these things might cost as making the commitment to the venue will affect other decisions that you make.

Reviewed on 10/10/2017 Jean P

The Chicago History Museum was a dream venue for our wedding. It's a unique and beautiful setting that allowed us to have our cocktail hour outside (with an inside option, in case of inclement weather, which fortunately, we didn't have to utilize) and our reception inside in... Read More stunning ballroom space. Melanie was extremely helpful and informative throughout the planning process. On the day of the wedding, she worked her tail off to make sure everything was running smoothly at the venue. I couldn't be happier with our choice of venue. Such a stunning space!

Reviewed on 9/29/2017 Anna D

We had our June wedding at the History Museum and it was AMAZING! Melanie helped us through every step of the process. All of the staff were super accommodating both before in the planning stages & for our special day. They coordinate seamlessly with any partners you may... Read More have…wedding planner, florist, catering. Also, they also allow you to keep one of the exhibits open during cocktail hour which was great because a lot of our guests were from out of town so they could learn a little something about Chicago :) We would highly recommend tying the knot at the CHM. It was an absolutely great experience…would do it all over again if we could!

Reviewed on 9/26/2017 Marissa J

My husband and I loved having our wedding at the Chicago History Museum! What a dream…it is beautiful and elegant, and our guests loved it as much as we did. We held our ceremony outside by the park, surrounded by green, and then dinner and dancing inside by the beautiful... Read More stained glass and classical architecture. We love Chicago, and it felt right to celebrate our marriage in the History Museum, and to support a nonprofit. Melanie was the very first person we met with at any venue, and she was lovely to work with from the first day and through our wedding weekend – friendly and knowledgeable and organized. She always made time for us when we needed her. While we looked at other venues for comparison, this was our first choice from the beginning and the easiest decision we made throughout wedding planning. We already cherish our memories of this beautiful evening in a beautiful place! Thank you so much, Melanie, and CHM.

Reviewed on 8/04/2017 Casey M

We could not have been more glad that we selected the Chicago History Museum as our wedding venue! We got married in July and the weather was so beautiful; our guests so enjoyed being able to step outside throughout the night! Not to mention how gorgeous the ceremony was on the... Read More stunning outdoor plaza! The ballroom itself is gorgeous and classic. The staff (especially Elliot- the event coordinator) was so accommodating and easy to work with through the entire process! Highly recommend this venue, we had an absolutely perfect experience!

Reviewed on 7/30/2017 Jennifer B

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Chicago History Museum in May 2017, and could not have been happier with our choice. Elliott and the rest of the staff were very detail-oriented throughout the planning process, and coordinated with all of our vendors so that the... Read More day-of could go off without a hitch. We had planned to do our ceremony and cocktail hour outdoors, but when an unexpected rainstorm hit, Elliott helped all of our vendors transition seamlessly into the indoor space, which ended up being equally as beautiful as the patio space that we had planned to use. And the reception was equally gorgeous! We would highly recommend CHM to any couple looking for a Chicago wedding venue.

Reviewed on 6/17/2017 Sarah K

We first visited CHM at a wedding two years before ours. We were blown away by the classic white walls, crown molding, chandeliers, black and white tile floors...it was dreamy. When my husband and I got engaged, we were determined to find our OWN venue in Chicago, as we wanted... Read More our wedding to be unique. After visiting 5+ other Chicago venues, we quickly realized that nothing would compare to the beauty of CHM. It was important to me that our venue have great outdoor space with greenery (which can be hard to find in the city) but also a great indoor option in case of rain. Having attending a wedding ceremony indoors and having gotten married on the terrace, I can honestly say that both are beautiful. We worked with Elliott, and she was great! So kind, helpful and organized. The wedding went off without a glitch and was just as beautiful as we had imagined. Would choose CHM again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed on 6/01/2017 Lindsey M

I had such a wonderful experience working with the staff at the Chicago History Museum. Erika was so responsive, organized, and able to answer all of questions and requests. Our wedding went so smooth and I would recommend CHM to anyone looking for a beautiful place to get... Read More married!

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Carol M

My daughter and her fiance held their wedding ceremony and reception/dinner/dance at the Chicago History Museum in May, 2017. We had guests from Chicago and a great number from overseas and Canada. The staff at the Museum were exceptionally helpful throughout the planning... Read More process. The venue was loved by all. It is very beautiful, elegant and the setting along the park is very picturesque. The compliments were heard all evening long. We highly recommend the Museum and believe it is one of the finest venues in Chicago.

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Carol M

Reviewed on 4/11/2017 Lisa D

My husband and I had our ceremony and wedding reception here in March and it was the best decision! We originally planned to have it at another venue that cancelled on us with less than two months to go to the wedding date. We are so lucky that CHM was still available because... Read More it all came together perfectly! The CHM team was so kind and accommodating given the circumstances, and we were able to rest easy knowing it was in the hands of professionals. We worked with Erika (our coordinator) and she was so responsive, helpful, and worked everything out with the vendors so the evening went smoothly- we didn't worry about a single thing! The CHM space is one of the most beautiful and unique in Chicago, which made for a memorable night for us and our guests. Thank you so much CHM for saving our wedding!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Zhongying J

This venue is the best! We chose it for a few reasons: 1.) It has indoor and outdoor spaces, both of which are equally beautiful. Since weather in Chicago can be unpredictable, the team here really knows how to execute well for both indoor and outdoor ceremonies up until just a... Read More few hours before the actual wedding. It was important to us to have our guests transition easily from an indoor ceremony to an outdoor cocktail hour back to an indoor reception all in one spot, and this was ideal for that. 2.) You will have beautiful, versatile photo opportunities that incorporate both ends of the spectrum - the gorgeous greenery of the Lincoln Park and the classic architecture of the building itself. 3.) The details of the space - there are several chandeliers, a black and white marble dance floor, and stained glass windows displayed all around the room. We didn't have to invest a ton of time or $ into decor because the space was so beautiful on its own! There are also a few exhibits that our guests enjoyed viewing during the cocktail hour - an old train car, a few portraits, etc. The team here was excellent to work with and gifted us a membership to the museum so we can come re-live this day whenever we are feeling nostalgic! Can't recommend highly enough.

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Dania S

We had an amazing experience for our Hindu wedding at CHM. Because fire is a key part of the ceremony, we had to have the ceremony outside, but we still wanted to have the comfort of an indoor reception. CHM had a perfect combination of outdoor and indoor spaces. Both were... Read More beautiful. My husband even got to do his baraat right there through the park. The staff at CHM were total professionals. If there were any problems, which I'm sure there were, I had no idea.

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Michael A

We just had our wedding at the Museum. It was the perfect venue, the staff was amazing to work with, the setting, the food, the décor, everything was done right! Best thing, our Guests all loved the venue and were very complimentary. I would recommend to anyone looking for a... Read More classic Chicago wedding!

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Michael M

My wife and I got married here on a Friday evening in June 2016. 95% of our guests were from out of state so to have our wedding here was absolutely spectacular! We had our ceremony outside on the plaza and the exhibit opened during cocktail hour - every aspect blow our guests... Read More away. Even weeks after, our guests were still talking about our wedding and the beautiful venue. The staff was great as well. They were so helpful from beginning to end and the day went by so smooth and easy.

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Blythe D

The staff at the Chicago History Museum are great to work with and extremely organized! Not only is the space and venue beautiful but Jessica was so easy to work with. She is very timely on responding to calls or emails and is very helpful day-of in making sure things run... Read More smoothly. We did not have a wedding planner and didn't feel we needed one since Jessica was so helpful. We got many compliments on the breath-taking space and it was wonderful to have our cocktail hour outside on the patio. The space was also big enough to accommodate our 200 guest list! We are so glad that we were able to throw the biggest party we will ever have at the CHM...it was truly the best day of our lives!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Aideen S

We got married back in August and the only way to describe the day was magical. The events space was a perfect space and was big enough to accommodate our guests (around 120), but still felt really intimate. Erica R and the entire events staff were superb. It was an... Read More unforgettable day at an unforgettable location. We had our first date at CHM and our proposal there so this space has so much meaning in our lives and we know we can always go back on anniversaries which is really comforting to us.

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Diana T

Recently married at the Chicago History Museum in June. Finding a good outdoor venue in Chicago is rare and this was really important to me. It turned out perfectly and was literally my dream wedding. The staff was super helpful and were willing to do whatever it took to make my... Read More day perfect. My guests continued to talk about the venue and how unique it was. Would highly recommend it!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Sarah G

My wife and I were recently married at the CHM on their outdoor patio. CHM already had a reception booked for the evening of our wedding date, but offered up their venue in the afternoon for a ceremony. The outdoor patio offers a beautiful scene for the guests, we didn't feel... Read More the need to bring in additional flowers or decorations, which helped us keep within our budget. The CHM staff was AMAZING. They made us feel at ease and did a fantastic job of keeping my wife and I separated pre ceremony. We received multiple compliments from our guests regarding our choice in venue for the ceremony. We would highly recommend this venue for either a ceremony or reception, or both!

Reviewed on 9/24/2016 Evva H

The Perfect Wedding Venue The Chicago History Museum is really the perfect wedding venue. We had our daughter's wedding there in mid-September, with the ceremony outdoors on the adjacent Uhlein Plaza, surrounded by trees. After the cocktail hour in the elegant Robinson... Read More Gallery, we had dinner and dancing in the Chicago Room, with its stunning Tiffany and Frank Lloyd Wright stained-glass windows. CHM is an architectural gem, both inside and out. This venue is greatly enhanced by the outstanding professionalism and dedication of the staff. Jessica T. was a real pleasure to work with, and she patiently guided us through the decision-making process. She was readily responsive to our emails and phone calls for advice. There were excellent vendor recommendations for florists, etc, and they accommodated our need to use an outside caterer due to dietary needs. There was a delivery delay at the last minute due to one of our vendors, and Jessica responded in the most amazing way, to quickly remedy the problem. Although there are less expensive venues, CHM is certainly one of the best. You will feel comfortable with your experience every step of the way, with the peace of mind that you're in the best of hands. The outcome will be truly spectacular, and your family and guests will be delighted.

Reviewed on 8/05/2016 Kelly H

My husband and I had our reception at the Chicago History Museum in June 2016. While it was the most amazing day, it was really all the days leading up to it that made CHM such a great place to have our wedding. The staff, particularly Elliott, were patient, helpful, and very... Read More responsive to any and all requests. They were incredibly accommodating. It seemed like they had relationships with all the vendors so everyone was able to work together easily without me feeling like I had to coordinate everything. The space is beautiful and did not feel too full with our 225 guests. Our guests raved about this venue!

Reviewed on 3/14/2016 Jennifer S

The CHM, and especially Sarah, were just phenomenal. In and of itself the venue is just spectacular, from the glamorous Chicago Room with it's black and white checkerboard floor flanked by wood floors and stained glass on either side, to the Robinson Gallery and the Crossroads... Read More of America exhibit. Guests enjoyed the exhibit, and even those who chose to keep drinking and eating outside of it were able to to have plentiful space to talk and catchup up, or take in the artifacts. The center section of the Chicago Room was the perfect dance floor, and the bar in the Gallery was close enough to not break up the flow, but just outside the dance floor to give you a breather. In addition to the uniqueness and beauty of the space, the whole team was wonderful. Sarah made everything so easy in the leadup, and when one of the suppliers had an issue with the beer we chose, she threw in the second beer (now a replacement) for free without any inquiring. At the end of the night, the staff was incredibly efficient in packing up and helped carry everything to the car so as to let myself and parents just enjoy the night. It's certainly not the cheapest option, and despite unseasonably warm December weather, we really didn't get to utilize the outdoor area, but we wouldn't have changed a thing. Thank you CHM!

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Katie

My husband and I got married at the Chicago History Museum in July 2015 and could not have asked for a better experience! We immediate fell in love with the classic, timeless space, stained glass, black and white checkered floor, and stunning terrace. Throughout the wedding... Read More planning process, I was impressed by Jessie P and Jessica T's knowledge of the industry, professionalism, genuine nature and dedication to helping us best optimize the space for our guest count. It rained just hours before guests were to arrive, causing us to move the ceremony and cocktails inside at the last minute and was blown away with the experience and professionalism the CHM staff exhibited in flipping the space seamlessly and thoughtfully! My guests had no idea that we were operating on "Plan B" and it was a completely stress free experience for me. The evening turned out better than I ever could have imagined and I cannot say enough good things about this venue and the staff. Thank you Jessica T and the whole CHM staff for creating such beautiful memories for us and our guests! I highly recommend this venue! We loved it!