Have Two Left Feet? No Worries. We Can Help!

Your wedding is approaching and the thought of swaying back and forth in front of your guests is terrifying. No worries. We are here to share our expertise to help you get ready dancing at your big day. Take your first step now with an introductory lesson with Duet!

Country, Dance, Disco, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World Music

07ca00f0 7e34 4e38 ba58 5f372a4094da~rs 100
Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100
8e37b91d 2fde 4bb6 b113 3e53ec30901d~rs 100
F5a78365 fb2f 42e0 9ebc b20b45498df1~rs 100

2412 W North Ave, Chicago, IL (312) 823-8199

If I could give 10 stars I would!

Reviewed on 9/22/2013 susan k

My husband and I took dance lessons with Szewai at Duet Dance Studio in preparation for our wedding day. We sought her out through 3 different referrals who had overwhelmingly positive things to say about their experience with her. Meeting Szewai for our initial consultation,... Read More she struck me as warm, friendly, charismatic, and professional. Working with Szewai for over half a year, my first impressions of her not only proved to be accurate, but as a teacher, she is extremely patient, easy going, and intuitive. My husband and I are not the most graceful people on the dance floor, so we were impressed with how Szewai was able to ease our dancing anxieties. We spent the first several lessons figuring out what style of dance would be most comfortable for our skill level and appropriate for us in the time frame we wanted to learn it by. From there, we worked towards honing the basic steps, to customizing a dance routine, to selecting the right music. Although we didn't have much time to practice in between our lessons, Szewai was always patient and able to both explain, review & demonstrate the steps for us in a way that we were able to learn it. I can say that we always left each lesson feeling good about our experience. If you're looking to take lessons for a special event or just for fun, I can't recommend Duet Dance Studio enough! Thanks Szewai!

She is the BEST

Reviewed on 8/25/2013 amber h

My fiance and I have been taking dance lessons with Duet for a couple of months now for our September wedding. We are dancing to a very non traditional song and Szewai choreographed the most incredible dance for us! She combined many different dance styles and went above and... Read More beyond to make it very unique. We had only taken one or 2 dance lessons together and I cant even explain the transformation I have seen in our dancing since we started working with Szewai. She is very patient and good at reading you and thinking of different ways to explain things. It has been an incredible experience for my fiance and I and we plan on continuing the lessons after the wedding! We LOVE duet!

The best of the best!

Reviewed on 8/21/2013

We worked with Szewai while planning the first dance for our civil union. Neither of us had any dance experience and were very much dreading the idea of lessons. Szewai's friendly demeanor and masterful instruction put our worries to rest within the first few minutes of our... Read More lesson. We left the studio feeling like dancing was something we could actually do. Each lesson we learned one new step to the rhumba. There were times when we couldn't understand the step and Szewai would not hesitate to literally pick up our feet or push us wider so our underarm turn would look better. Each week we made mistakes, had fun, and we laughed. About six weeks into our lessons, we decided that our mother-son dance would be choreographed between people. Szewai did not hesitate to suggest to bring mom in for two of our lessons. She took our skill levels into account and helped us develop a custom transition so that each of us could both dance with mom for half a song. We practiced the transition and our positions on the dance floor. We also worked on how to recover in case we ended up in the wrong spot on the dance floor. Our nine weeks of lessons flew by. By the end, we knew the basic box, inside turns, outside turns, a cradle, and a progressive step to travel around the dance floor. Our families and friends were impressed and best of all we didn't look like we were in Jr. High gym class. After our ceremony, we decided to keep going with our lessons just for fun. Szewai introduced us to waltz, and our favorite dance, hustle. Szewai taught us that every little move and touch has a meaning. She helped us learn to feel those movements and connect our frames so that the two of us danced as one person. We wish her the best at her new studio!

Reviewed on 3/14/2018 Emma W

We absolutely loved working with Ashton for our first dance lessons -- she was incredibly flexible, always gave constructive, but thoughtful feedback as we were practicing and was great at never giving us more than we could handle during a lesson. And most importantly our dance... Read More looked great on the day of!

Reviewed on 2/11/2018 Mark N

Kathryn was amazing to work with! We went into our lessons just hoping to get through our first dance without tripping over each other, and where we ended up is so much further than either of us thought was possible. Kathryn took our first dance song and made recommendations on... Read More two types of dances that would be a good fit. From there we started with the basics of each dance and worked our way up to more advanced moves. As we got better and more comfortable with the two dances we started adding things like spins and dips that really made the dance feel special. The crowd at the wedding was definitely impressed when we busted out our moves! Kathryn was a wonderful and patient teacher, and she made sure that we were having fun while we were learning. I’d recommend Duet to any couple looking to make their first dance one to remember.

Reviewed on 2/05/2018 Kasey W

My husband and I were reluctant to try to do a choreographed first dance for our wedding day (my husband much MUCH more reluctant than I), but we were lucky to find Duet Dance Studio and fall into Grace's good hands because she was truly the BEST! Soooo happy we decided to give... Read More it a try! I think part of the reason we went with Duet Dance Studio is because of how close it is to our home. We were able to walk to our lessons. The other part was because of the positive reviews we saw here on The Knot. The communication via e-mail with Duet Dance Studio was superb from the get-go as well as throughout our time working with them. I had a more complicated schedule to work with and had to make changes on our lesson days/times from week to week. We stuck with Grace from our first lesson to our last and we couldn't have asked for a better instructor. We were offered to try other instructors, but Grace gave us a pretty great first impression. She is super sweet! We didn't have too much time to sneak lessons in before our big day because dance lessons were lower on our to do list, but we managed to actually look pretty decent...even with my complicated bustle coming undone during the dance and my husband stepping on my dress here and there. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the dance lessons and took them more seriously than I did. He even really looked forward to our lessons! Funny because he didn't really want to do them in the first place. I tended to laugh a lot and just wanted to have fun, but he kept me in check. I did have a couple of more serious moments too. I like to exceed expectations and can sometimes get a little frustrated in myself. I give Grace a lot of credit for dealing with us because we likely were not as serious as we should have been. She was VERY patient with us. I like to think I am a much better dancer than my husband, but this was a team effort. We would love to try to do a dance lesson or two again in the future with Grace because it was fun and, well, it's a good experience for couples in my opinion. I should also mention that our choreography was well done. Not too hard. Not too easy. It seemed just right for us. Our song was "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates. We liked the upbeat and bouncy feel of this song. The very beginning of our dance, to me, was the hardest (at least for me), but it certainly caught the attention of the crowd and we heard cheering right away. LOVED it! It was fast-paced and I was in 4-inch heels! I was worried I wouldn't get it right, but I did! I was also worried I would slip or fall, but I didn't! The end was also pretty neat with a dip. Most importantly, neither my husband nor I got hurt. Ha. Such a unique experience overall, but one we will always remember. So glad we have this dance on video. I played it over and over and over again, and even five months later, I'm pretty proud of my husband and I. Go to Duet Dance Studio! You will NOT be disappointed. Grace is AWESOME, but the other instructors are also pretty awesome. THANK YOU so so much! The best!

Reviewed on 1/03/2018 Matt T

What a pleasant surprise. I really didn't know what to expect in taking dance lessons, but within the first 15 minutes of being at Duet I knew we would enjoy our experience. The team was magnificent to work with and neither of us fell during our first dance so that was a... Read More plus. We took about 6 lessons prior to our first dance and practiced a little bit at home when we had 2-3 minutes to spare during the last month of wedding planning. Kathryn was a dream, so personable, constructive and fun to be around. We enjoyed her instruction so much that we'll be taking lessons with her in the future. I highly recommend Duet Dance Studio.

Reviewed on 12/12/2017 Pooja D

My husband and I worked with Kathryn at Duet Dance Studio and it was one of the most fun experiences of wedding planning! We totally clicked with her and she choreographed such a fun and unique first dance for us -- totally in line with our personalities! She really learned who... Read More we were as individuals and a couple and made it shine through in our dance. I have dance experience, but my husband doesn't and Kathryn was so helpful and thoughtful in how she worked with us and made us better dancers and better dance partners! And we got SO MANY compliments on our first dance! Thank you a million times to Kathryn and the entire Duet Dance Studio team! We will definitely be coming back!!

Reviewed on 12/09/2017 Morgan F

We LOVED working with Meghan! She helped us learn two types of dances and then put them together for our first dance at our wedding! She was fun and easy to work with and went at our learning pace. Duet knows what they are doing and have the most amazing teachers. I would... Read More recommend them to anyone looking to learn some moves for their wedding, or to become better dancers!

Reviewed on 11/20/2017 Megan S

We love Duet! My husband and I wanted to look like we knew what we were doing on the dance floor (ha!) so we contacted Duet for lessons and we're so glad we did! Szewai was an absolute joy from the first lesson, and choreographed our first dance PERFECTLY. She was able to... Read More incorporate little moments that we requested into the choreography and made it look impressive without being overly complicated. We just had so much fun dancing here! The whole team is wonderful - book them, you'll be happy you did!

Reviewed on 11/04/2017 Victoria S

Simply the best! I can not write enough great things about Duet Dance Studio and our instructor, Meghan! My now husband and I have never taken formal dance lessons and had no clue what to expect. Meghan worked miracles and our first dance went perfectly. Meghan was so patient... Read More with us - teaching us the steps over and over again until we perfected it. She was fun and caring and my husband and I LOVED going to classes, not just to learn to dance but because we had so much fun together and with Meghan. We learned two different styles of dance for our first dance and the way that Meghan progressed through our lessons made it so easy to remember and build upon our dance. Everyone at the studio is so nice and supportive - I can't recommend it enough to any other bride/groom looking for a great dancing experience!

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Therese S

I went to Duet Dance studio for first dance lessons with my dad and fiancé just for fun, not expecting to learn a whole lot in such a short amount of time. We went for 5 sessions each and were with Meghan who was so much fun, so knowledgeable, and just great to work with! We... Read More learned 2 different styles each (so 4 for me) and my husband and I were able to use our newfound skills on our honeymoon! We will definitely be back for fun in the future as even my husband who "doesn't dance" truly enjoyed it! Thank you, Meghan and Duet Dance Studio, our first dances were so fun and special! :)

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Stephanie B

We absolutely loved Duet Dance Studio! Kathryn was our instructor and she made it so easy and fun for us to learn multiple styles of dance for our upcoming wedding. We decided to go 1 to 2 times per week for a couple months and Kathryn helped us develop a loosely coordinated... Read More dance that was approachable and fun without coming off like we had taken weeks of classes. The atmosphere is semi private and inviting and Kathryn was super accommodating to our learning styles. If you are having trouble deciding whether or not take classes whether for fun or for an event, DO IT, it’s a great excuse to spend time together (plus, its BYOB). We recommend Duet Dance Studio to everyone…we had a great time and will be back.

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Linsey S

We had an amazing time putting together our first dance at Duet! We got lucky that our instructor was Szewai, who happens to be the founder of the studio. Szewai choreographed a beautiful, unique dance just for us. She is a fabulous teacher, and we had so much fun learning how... Read More to Waltz and Swing with her! The studio has such an inviting and warm atmosphere and everyone is so welcoming that you feel like you are visiting old friends, just after one lesson. We had so much fun learning something new as a couple together, and even more fun surprising all of our family and friends at our wedding with our killer dance moves! We had such a wonderful experience at Duet and intend to continue to learn and visit with our friends there.

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Caitlin B

My fiance and I took dance lessons with Kathryn at Duet to prep for our first dance at our wedding. We both agree it was the best money we spent on the entire wedding. Not only was Kathryn so lovely to work with, we felt like we walked away each lesson with knew knowledge and... Read More more confidence on the floor. It was also just a really fun activity to do together in the midst of the wedding chaos. I would recommend Duet Dance to anyone who is looking to have a date night, prepare for their first dance or as a place to learn a new form of expression!

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Anne R

If you are debating getting dance lessons at Duet Dance Studio -- DO IT! My husband and I took lesson with Szewai leading up to our wedding, and it ended up being one of our favorite parts of the wedding experience. Szewai is a delight to learn from -- she is so patient and... Read More sweet and is a lovely dancer. We loved learning how to work together on a new skill, and the night of our wedding we felt completely comfortable and confident and nailed our dance! Many guests have told us it was the best first-dance at a wedding they ever saw. To top it all off, we've enjoyed lessons at Duet so much that we have bought additional lessons to use after our wedding. We are excited to learn new styles, and spend more time with the Duet crew! We can't recommend Duet and Szewai highly enough.

Reviewed on 10/15/2017 Heather N

We had a wonderful time learning our first dance at Duet Dance Studio. We only had about three weeks to put it all together, and Duet Dance Studio met all of our needs with our tight schedule and fast turn around. We loved working with Szewai! She was an excellent teacher and... Read More her choreography for our unique first dance was amazing. We have gotten so many compliments about our first dance and that is because of her talent and teaching ability. This was so well worth it and so much fun!

Reviewed on 10/02/2017 Natalie M

My husband and I took classes at Duet with Meghan and had the most amazing time. Not only did we end up performing an amazing dance at our wedding, it gave us something fun to do together leading up to the big day! We would both highly recommend Duet Dance Studio and all the... Read More staff there for all your dancing needs, or just for a fun date night idea.

Reviewed on 10/01/2017 Katy K

These dance lessons were one of the BEST parts of our wedding prep! At our first lesson, I was nervous because our song was not a traditional love song. Kathryn was our instructor. She developed choreography that was so perfect, it brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw... Read More it. Neither one of us has prior experience in dance, but she was a patient and encouraging teacher. She gradually taught us a dance that was elegant and polished but not so challenging that we couldn't have fun. She was good at critiquing us equally, which was important so that we didn't get competitive with each other. She made every lesson something we looked forward to. Our dance received many compliments--people said we looked happy and elegant. I would recommend Duet Dance Studio to anyone. It was truly an experience that brought my fiancé and I closer together and that we will always remember fondly.

Reviewed on 9/14/2017 Leigh G

I would recommend Duet Dance Studio to everyone I know. Meghan crafted an amazing first dance for our wedding that was visually impressive but not beyond our novice abilities. The lessons were always fun and we will be returning for more in the future.

Reviewed on 8/30/2017 Liz C

Wonderful place to learn to dance! Duet definitely knows how to get a couple wedding ready. We’ve taken lessons with Meghan is a joy to work with. Meghan is always patient and had fun new moves to try. All the instructors are amazing and helpful! We learn a lot and have a... Read More good time. We’ve also been to the group lessons before, which are fun!

Reviewed on 8/13/2017 Jeff G

We were very happy with our experience with the Dance Duet Team. I was a first time dancer and my wife has some dancing experience. Meghan our dance instructor was very patient with me for the few months it took to really feel confident for our first dance as husband and... Read More wife. Meghan was always ready with the week's session to either challenge us with some new steps or to take the time to review what we had covered in the past, it was refreshing to go at our own pace. Meghan helped us to choreograph a dance that was perfect for our wedding, and to help us create a memory that will last a lifetime. Thanks to Meghan and the Dance Duet Team. Jeff

Reviewed on 8/07/2017 Maureen C

Duet Dance Studio went above and beyond our expectations! As two people that love to dance, my now husband and I chose Duet Dance Studio to learn the proper steps and technique for a few dance styles so we could then create a unique first dance for our wedding guests. What we... Read More didn’t realize is that not only would we learn the dance styles, but Duet Dance Studio would choreograph our routine for us. During our first lesson, we met with Kathryn who was such a pleasure to work with during the whole process. During each lesson, we worked directly with her while one or two other couples were in the studio working with the other instructors. Therefore, it was nice to have the one-on-one lessons with Kathryn and it was not difficult sharing the large space with other couples. We chose to learn three different styles of dance including swing, salsa and bachata that Kathryn combined into a seamless routine that was memorable to all of our guests. She even went above and beyond to edit our music to improve the transition quality between songs and to work better with our overall routine. All of the instructors at Duet Dance studio were extremely friendly and encouraging during our lessons, which was a nice touch. We have continued to take lessons after getting married as we had such a fun and rewarding experience learning our first dance!

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Jenny J

My husband and I had a fantastic time preparing for our first dance with Kathryn at Duet Studio. During the first session, we explained that we had very modest goals for our dancing lessons.. we just wanted to not look like we were "swaying"! Kathryn put together the perfect... Read More (simple) routine for us - a mix of fox trot and swing - that fit so well with our first dance song. We had so much fun at the lessons and look forward to coming back for a date night when things settle down! Thank you Kathryn and the whole Duet team!

Reviewed on 6/28/2017 Ken H

Before our wedding, we booked a one shot lesson with Duet to work on our skills for our first dance, and after our lesson we were so impressed, we booked another several weekly lessons so really get it down perfect. Our instructor Meghan was very friendly and helpful. She... Read More worked with us to choreograph a great dance for our chosen song, at our own pace, which admittedly was beginner at the start. But by the wedding, we had it down and wowed all of our friends and relatives! We both highly recommend Duet Dance Studio, and it's fun environment and friendly instructors and staff. We may be back there to practice for some other event!