Have Two Left Feet? No Worries. We Can Help!

Your wedding is approaching and the thought of swaying back and forth in front of your guests is terrifying. No worries. We are here to share our expertise to help you get ready dancing at your big day. Take your first step now with an introductory lesson with Duet!

Country, Dance, Disco, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World Music

2412 W North Ave, Chicago, IL (312) 823-8199

If I could give 10 stars I would!

Reviewed on 9/22/2013 susan k

My husband and I took dance lessons with Szewai at Duet Dance Studio in preparation for our wedding day. We sought her out through 3 different referrals who had overwhelmingly positive things to say about their experience with her. Meeting Szewai for our initial consultation,... Read More she struck me as warm, friendly, charismatic, and professional. Working with Szewai for over half a year, my first impressions of her not only proved to be accurate, but as a teacher, she is extremely patient, easy going, and intuitive. My husband and I are not the most graceful people on the dance floor, so we were impressed with how Szewai was able to ease our dancing anxieties. We spent the first several lessons figuring out what style of dance would be most comfortable for our skill level and appropriate for us in the time frame we wanted to learn it by. From there, we worked towards honing the basic steps, to customizing a dance routine, to selecting the right music. Although we didn't have much time to practice in between our lessons, Szewai was always patient and able to both explain, review & demonstrate the steps for us in a way that we were able to learn it. I can say that we always left each lesson feeling good about our experience. If you're looking to take lessons for a special event or just for fun, I can't recommend Duet Dance Studio enough! Thanks Szewai!

She is the BEST

Reviewed on 8/25/2013 amber h

My fiance and I have been taking dance lessons with Duet for a couple of months now for our September wedding. We are dancing to a very non traditional song and Szewai choreographed the most incredible dance for us! She combined many different dance styles and went above and... Read More beyond to make it very unique. We had only taken one or 2 dance lessons together and I cant even explain the transformation I have seen in our dancing since we started working with Szewai. She is very patient and good at reading you and thinking of different ways to explain things. It has been an incredible experience for my fiance and I and we plan on continuing the lessons after the wedding! We LOVE duet!

The best of the best!

Reviewed on 8/21/2013

We worked with Szewai while planning the first dance for our civil union. Neither of us had any dance experience and were very much dreading the idea of lessons. Szewai's friendly demeanor and masterful instruction put our worries to rest within the first few minutes of our... Read More lesson. We left the studio feeling like dancing was something we could actually do. Each lesson we learned one new step to the rhumba. There were times when we couldn't understand the step and Szewai would not hesitate to literally pick up our feet or push us wider so our underarm turn would look better. Each week we made mistakes, had fun, and we laughed. About six weeks into our lessons, we decided that our mother-son dance would be choreographed between people. Szewai did not hesitate to suggest to bring mom in for two of our lessons. She took our skill levels into account and helped us develop a custom transition so that each of us could both dance with mom for half a song. We practiced the transition and our positions on the dance floor. We also worked on how to recover in case we ended up in the wrong spot on the dance floor. Our nine weeks of lessons flew by. By the end, we knew the basic box, inside turns, outside turns, a cradle, and a progressive step to travel around the dance floor. Our families and friends were impressed and best of all we didn't look like we were in Jr. High gym class. After our ceremony, we decided to keep going with our lessons just for fun. Szewai introduced us to waltz, and our favorite dance, hustle. Szewai taught us that every little move and touch has a meaning. She helped us learn to feel those movements and connect our frames so that the two of us danced as one person. We wish her the best at her new studio!

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Caitlin B

My fiance and I took dance lessons with Kathryn at Duet to prep for our first dance at our wedding. We both agree it was the best money we spent on the entire wedding. Not only was Kathryn so lovely to work with, we felt like we walked away each lesson with knew knowledge and... Read More more confidence on the floor. It was also just a really fun activity to do together in the midst of the wedding chaos. I would recommend Duet Dance to anyone who is looking to have a date night, prepare for their first dance or as a place to learn a new form of expression!

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Anne R

If you are debating getting dance lessons at Duet Dance Studio -- DO IT! My husband and I took lesson with Szewai leading up to our wedding, and it ended up being one of our favorite parts of the wedding experience. Szewai is a delight to learn from -- she is so patient and... Read More sweet and is a lovely dancer. We loved learning how to work together on a new skill, and the night of our wedding we felt completely comfortable and confident and nailed our dance! Many guests have told us it was the best first-dance at a wedding they ever saw. To top it all off, we've enjoyed lessons at Duet so much that we have bought additional lessons to use after our wedding. We are excited to learn new styles, and spend more time with the Duet crew! We can't recommend Duet and Szewai highly enough.

Reviewed on 10/15/2017 Heather N

We had a wonderful time learning our first dance at Duet Dance Studio. We only had about three weeks to put it all together, and Duet Dance Studio met all of our needs with our tight schedule and fast turn around. We loved working with Szewai! She was an excellent teacher and... Read More her choreography for our unique first dance was amazing. We have gotten so many compliments about our first dance and that is because of her talent and teaching ability. This was so well worth it and so much fun!

Reviewed on 10/02/2017 Natalie M

My husband and I took classes at Duet with Meghan and had the most amazing time. Not only did we end up performing an amazing dance at our wedding, it gave us something fun to do together leading up to the big day! We would both highly recommend Duet Dance Studio and all the... Read More staff there for all your dancing needs, or just for a fun date night idea.

Reviewed on 10/01/2017 Katy K

These dance lessons were one of the BEST parts of our wedding prep! At our first lesson, I was nervous because our song was not a traditional love song. Kathryn was our instructor. She developed choreography that was so perfect, it brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw... Read More it. Neither one of us has prior experience in dance, but she was a patient and encouraging teacher. She gradually taught us a dance that was elegant and polished but not so challenging that we couldn't have fun. She was good at critiquing us equally, which was important so that we didn't get competitive with each other. She made every lesson something we looked forward to. Our dance received many compliments--people said we looked happy and elegant. I would recommend Duet Dance Studio to anyone. It was truly an experience that brought my fiancé and I closer together and that we will always remember fondly.

Reviewed on 9/14/2017 Leigh G

I would recommend Duet Dance Studio to everyone I know. Meghan crafted an amazing first dance for our wedding that was visually impressive but not beyond our novice abilities. The lessons were always fun and we will be returning for more in the future.

Reviewed on 8/30/2017 Liz C

Wonderful place to learn to dance! Duet definitely knows how to get a couple wedding ready. We’ve taken lessons with Meghan is a joy to work with. Meghan is always patient and had fun new moves to try. All the instructors are amazing and helpful! We learn a lot and have a... Read More good time. We’ve also been to the group lessons before, which are fun!

Reviewed on 8/13/2017 Jeff G

We were very happy with our experience with the Dance Duet Team. I was a first time dancer and my wife has some dancing experience. Meghan our dance instructor was very patient with me for the few months it took to really feel confident for our first dance as husband and... Read More wife. Meghan was always ready with the week's session to either challenge us with some new steps or to take the time to review what we had covered in the past, it was refreshing to go at our own pace. Meghan helped us to choreograph a dance that was perfect for our wedding, and to help us create a memory that will last a lifetime. Thanks to Meghan and the Dance Duet Team. Jeff

Reviewed on 8/07/2017 Maureen C

Duet Dance Studio went above and beyond our expectations! As two people that love to dance, my now husband and I chose Duet Dance Studio to learn the proper steps and technique for a few dance styles so we could then create a unique first dance for our wedding guests. What we... Read More didn’t realize is that not only would we learn the dance styles, but Duet Dance Studio would choreograph our routine for us. During our first lesson, we met with Kathryn who was such a pleasure to work with during the whole process. During each lesson, we worked directly with her while one or two other couples were in the studio working with the other instructors. Therefore, it was nice to have the one-on-one lessons with Kathryn and it was not difficult sharing the large space with other couples. We chose to learn three different styles of dance including swing, salsa and bachata that Kathryn combined into a seamless routine that was memorable to all of our guests. She even went above and beyond to edit our music to improve the transition quality between songs and to work better with our overall routine. All of the instructors at Duet Dance studio were extremely friendly and encouraging during our lessons, which was a nice touch. We have continued to take lessons after getting married as we had such a fun and rewarding experience learning our first dance!

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Jenny J

My husband and I had a fantastic time preparing for our first dance with Kathryn at Duet Studio. During the first session, we explained that we had very modest goals for our dancing lessons.. we just wanted to not look like we were "swaying"! Kathryn put together the perfect... Read More (simple) routine for us - a mix of fox trot and swing - that fit so well with our first dance song. We had so much fun at the lessons and look forward to coming back for a date night when things settle down! Thank you Kathryn and the whole Duet team!

Reviewed on 6/28/2017 Ken H

Before our wedding, we booked a one shot lesson with Duet to work on our skills for our first dance, and after our lesson we were so impressed, we booked another several weekly lessons so really get it down perfect. Our instructor Meghan was very friendly and helpful. She... Read More worked with us to choreograph a great dance for our chosen song, at our own pace, which admittedly was beginner at the start. But by the wedding, we had it down and wowed all of our friends and relatives! We both highly recommend Duet Dance Studio, and it's fun environment and friendly instructors and staff. We may be back there to practice for some other event!

Reviewed on 6/27/2017

My in-laws gave my husband and I dance lessons at Duet Dance studios leading up to our wedding and we couldn't have loved them more! We knew that we wouldn't be up for anything super intricate and Kathryn, our instructor, helped us create a simple routine that was totally "us".... Read More More than anything, spending time together leading up to the big day was a real gift for us. Kathyrn and the other instructors was so kind, made us laugh (mostly at ourselves), and really put us at ease. I can't recommend the studio enough!

Reviewed on 6/23/2017 Dorothy L

We tried a few studios before landing on Duet and working with Kathryn, which was a total dream. She instantly understood what we wanted and helped us get there with patience and kindness. We loved dancing with her - she made us feel comfortable and we also had a ton of fun!... Read More Thank you Kathryn!!

Reviewed on 5/19/2017 Kate V

My wife and I took dance lessons with Brennen to prepare for our first dance at our wedding in January 2017. We picked our first dance song (For Once in My Life by Stevie Wonder), and then Brennen taught us two dance styles (rumba and swing) that would be used in the dance.... Read More After teaching us elements of each dance style, he choreographed a dance from start to finish. When we first saw the result (Brennen and another instructor danced for us), we were blown away! Brennen is an excellent instructor; he is very patient, especially with someone like me (an engineer who likes to think things through) who may not be the best dancer. He is also very observant, looking at our form and footwork as we were learning the dance, constantly providing feedback. After many weeks of hard work, we were very happy with our first dance at our wedding and would definitely recommend this for any couple in preparation for their wedding. The dance studio itself is very warm and inviting. The owner Szewai and other dance instructors are very supportive. We have since attended a few of their monthly dance parties - they always focus on teaching the dance moves of whatever style the party is about, and then there is open dancing that follows. I really like that the focus is always on welcoming the attendees, regardless of whether they are seasoned dancers or not. Highly, highly recommended.

Reviewed on 5/10/2017 Jennie H

My husband and I wanted a fun but classy first dance for our wedding, but we knew we couldn't do it on our own. We found Duet through other Yelp reviews and figure we should pay it forward. We worked with Brennen during a consultation and got such helpful feedback from him and... Read More had such a good time that we decided to buy a 10 class package for the two months before our wedding to work with him. Brennen was so professional: from laying out the 10 class plan, to getting to know us in order to tailor our dance to suit our personalities, to giving us ideas for practicing when not in the studio, and most of all, by just being super positive and fun to work with. Additionally, every person who works in that studio is kind, generous, energetic, and hospitable. It is clear that the people who work here enjoy being there and doing what they do. Not only was our First Dance at the wedding fun for us, but I know that our friends and families loved seeing it too. And, as cheesy as this sounds, taking those classes was a really special time for my husband and me. It was a team-building exercise, a time that we chose to laugh instead of get frustrated when we messed up (and, seriously, there's Brennen's professionalism again, as he always remained neutral and helpful!), and a breather from the final countdown wedding day hustle, where we could shut out the world and enjoy learning how to dance together. So many thanks to Brennen and the Duet Team!

Reviewed on 12/14/2016

My wife and I LOVED Duet Dance Studio. I dropped the ball on finding us dance lessons and we called them up and they did an amazing job fitting us in and getting us prepped in a week and a half. The prices were extremely reasonable for Chicago. Due to our rushed schedule we... Read More worked with 3 of the instructors and they were all incredibly well versed, taught us the same material (but in different ways) and extremely nice. I have ZERO dance experience or talent. I'm only semi-athletic these days too. But Duet got me dancing. Everyone at the wedding was incredibly impressed since I normally look like a gorilla on rollerskates. We're actually considering keeping up dance lessons for no particular event, but just because we enjoyed it so much.

Reviewed on 11/13/2016 Natalie C

Szewai and the Duet team are the absolute best of the best. My husband and I LOVE to dance but neither of us have had ballroom training. Szewai choreographed our first dance to Ho Hey by The Lumineers, and it was a great hit at the wedding. We'll be going back even now that... Read More we're married. Cannot recommend more highly.

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Lily T

Let me just start off by saying what an amazing time we had during our first dance and all the time that we learned the first dance! We did a choreographed dance not only for us to bond and relax in the mist of wedding planning, but also to impress all of our guests. TBH, if... Read More you're going all out to plan a wedding, you might as well go all the way. My husband and I didn't know what we wanted to do for our first dance back when we were still engaged so we checked out different dance studios in Chicago. We were late to the game so we thought there wouldn’t be any openings. Duet accommodated us right away despite how busy they were during the wedding season. They attended to us and worked around our schedule. Here are some of the reasons why I liked them so much. First of all, professionalism and knowledge of the staff. Our instructor Szewai was with us every step of the way, even though we only reached out to the studio 3 months before the wedding. She listened to our medley for the dance during our first session, and asked our preference on dance style. Before we knew it, she had the entire dance created when we went in for our second session! She understood what style we wanted, observed our progress, and taught us more difficult (fancier) dance moves where see fit. It's overwheloming how many dance styles she know. They encourage practice in front of audience, so they often call other instructors and students to watch your complete dance during their break time. This only happens when they think that you're ready to perform, and it's extremely helpful because you can get used to being starred at (Stage fright could happen to anyone) Secondly, the friendliness of the staff. We were greeted every time we were there by all the instructors. We danced, laughed and chatted during every class because they genuinely cared about how our lives were. Of course, if you're all about business, they don't take up dancing time to talk at all. Thirdly, the dancing environment. The studio is a huge open-floor dance studio with a large mirror and plenty comfy seating around the studio. The interior is very rustic, there's water and candy ALWAYS. Trust me, when you have to get to the classes after work without having dinner, you want those starbursts! The instructors all have their corner to teach their students, so you can see what moves other couples are doing, get some inspiration, mingle with them and more! Last but not least, they are reasonably priced and the location is easy to get to if you have a car. By train, you will walk about 15 minutes after getting off of Damen - Blue Line. The perk of being in that neighborhood? So many good restaurants. Big Star after every dance class? Sign me up! Duet Dance Studio is hands down THE BEST dance studio in Chicago! They keep in touch with you, and offer tons of themed dance parties every month in case you’re interested in going. (You should see them in GoT costume...!) To be honest, I never knew dancing could be such a stress reliever. I hope this helps all couples in their decision making!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Brigid D

We LOVED working with everyone at Duet Dance. Mariel and the team choreographed the perfect, personalized dance and then taught the two of us non-dancers how to do steps, turns, lifts, dips, and more! We had a blast in the process. I can't say enough good things about the... Read More Duet Dance group!!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Megan M

Our experience with Duet was AMAZING! We (of course) only left ourselves a couple months to get ready for our first dance (salsa!) and Szewai and Megan actually made us into decent dancers, at least for that one song! They were very helpful along the way, always smiling and... Read More upbeat, and it never seemed like a chore to be teaching us, even though at times we were brutally terrible. Their attention to every detail and addressing each issue individually was on point - whenever we had an issue they would slowly break it down and it really helped us to understand what we needed to do. As a result of all of this our first dance was AWESOME! People were stunned and assumed we had been practicing for much longer then we had been, and that's a reflection of Szewai and Megan and their ability to teach! I give them a big A+, and will be taking more lessons with them in the future just for fun. Thanks Duet!

Reviewed on 9/01/2016 Kimberly B

Mariel and the rest of the Duet Dance Studio team are amazing. My wife and I tried one of their group classes before we were married and really enjoyed it. That's saying something since I am not a dancer! We liked the team and studio so much that we decided to have ballroom... Read More dance lessons to help us with our first dance. Mariel was our instructor and she was amazing! She helped teach us the waltz and was excellent at providing tips to improve. She was also very personable which made the experience that much better. We HIGHLY recommend Mariel and Duet to anyone.

Reviewed on 7/21/2016 Alison M

My husband and I are so lucky to have found Szewai and Duet Dance Studio! We started taking dance lessons with Szewai on a weekly basis 4 months prior to our wedding and we are SO SOOO happy that we did! Neither of us are very graceful dancers and we knew we wanted our first... Read More dance to be special. Szewai took the song we picked for our first dance and made beautiful choreography to accompany it. Very few people knew that we were taking dance lessons and our guests were amazed when we finally got to show off all of our hard work! Not only did Szewai and Duet Dance allow us to have an extra special memory in our first dance as husband and wife, but meeting with Szewai every week leading up to the wedding was such a great way for us to stay connected and grounded in the chaotic time leading up to the big day. With both of our crazy schedules, our dance lessons became our time to reconnect each week and learn something new together. If you are looking for a studio to learn a first dance, or just a style of dance in general, you need to look no further than Duet Dance. Szewai and her team are kind, compassionate, patient, and so much fun to be around! Thank you so much, Szewai, and we look forward to dancing together again soon!