Francis Marion Hotel

Bow2008 09

387 King St, Charleston, SC

Amazing job!!

Reviewed on 4/14/2014 Maggie A

The Francis Marion is a gorgeous venue and affordable! Caroline Bean, the wedding coordinator is the best! And the good was great too!!

Best Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 4/01/2014 Jessica E

The Francis Marion Hotel is the BEST hotel to have your wedding reception at. I worked with Caroline Bean in catering services and she was beyond FANTASTIC. Caroline made the entire process so easy. From being prompt to answer emails and make updates to our event, we were able to put together an amazing reception. The hotel front desk staff was wonderful as well. They made sure that all of the guest who booked rooms in our block were well taken care of as well. The Francis Marion worked extremely well with all the vendors that I hired for my reception (photographer, DJ, bakery, Chaircovers)

Long Path to a Great Wedding

Reviewed on 11/15/2013 Tiffany P

We had our wedding reception at the Francis Marion, and to be honest, my experience with them is not easy to articulate in a review. We had many ups and downs. Although we were working with caring and kind people, we still came across several frustrations, which would eventually be made right. Overall, I was extremely pleased with how the event turned out – we loved our wedding, we love the vintage hotel, and it’s location in the center of Charleston, SC. There are many benefits to choosing a venue like The Francis Marion: Room set up and clean-up is included in the cost. The price of silverware, plates, glasses, white/black napkins and linens, and cake cutting is all included in the cost. They allow you to bring in your own alcohol (at a fee per person) which helped us get better bang for the buck on the alcohol we were serving. The catering is done by the Francis Marion – another decision to cross off the long wedding list – and the food was awesome. I was somewhat concerned with how the food was going to taste, because we’ve had less than stellar meals at the Swamp Fox, but both our tasting for the wedding and the actual wedding food was amazing. People have been raving about it - particularly the Crab Cake Station, Pasta Station, and passed hor devours! Our frustrations stemmed mostly from us asking for some (what we believed were reasonable) changes to their ordinary set-up. I was surprised how hard it was to get them to agree on some of these requests, especially with how much we were paying to the Francis Marion alone. Almost every change we made came at a price. However, let me reinforce, that in the end, it all turned out beautifully, but I can’t discount the frustrations we felt while getting to the final event. All the people we spoke with were more than caring and kind, but they didn’t necessarily have the power to make the decisions. Caroline was instrumental in helping us achieve our wedding day vision, she definitely had more say/empowerment than others we spoke with at the Francis Marion.

Great Experience and Wonderful Wedding Coordinator

Reviewed on 10/27/2013 Leslie

The Francis Marion was a beautiful location for our wedding reception. Caroline Bean, the wedding coordinator for the hotel was a joy to work with and made the whole planning process as easy and smooth as possible. Most of our guests were from out of town and loved staying in such a central location.

Great Venue

Reviewed on 6/21/2013 jord r

I had my May 2013 wedding reception at the Francis Marion Colonial Ballroom and it was absolutely beautiful. All the staff were extremely helpful and kind. The food was delicious and the chef was incredibly accommodating to gluten free diets, childrens options, etc. Caroline Bean was awesome and always immediately answered all my questions. The hotel includes a night in a suite for the newlyweds and even had a special surprise waiting for us in our room on the wedding night. I would definitely recommend the Francis Marion hotel!

November Wedding

Reviewed on 12/15/2012 Sarah Z

my husband and I had our reception here for our November wedding. It was awesome! Beautiful, great service and very professional and organized. Cannot complain about a thing! If you have the money it will be well worth it!

Pleased in every way!

Reviewed on 12/09/2012 sarah z

Wonderful wedding coordinator and hotel staff!

Perfect Spot

Reviewed on 11/19/2012 Callen P

Great room. Right downtown. Very friendly. Chocolate covered strawberries. Let us check in early. Very friendly.

Think Twice: Lacking Customer Service

Reviewed on 11/13/2012 Anne H

My husband and I had a rather large semi-destination wedding this past year; and ended up having to organize several (3+) hotel room blocks with 10-20 guest rooms in each. We selected various hotel options around Charleston based on price point, location and offered amenities. The Francis Marion Hotel was the only hotel that did not return my phone calls, turned away guests when rooms were still available in the wedding block & actually made coordinating out-of-town guest accommodations frustrating as well as inefficient. This was one hotel that I should have removed from the list of hotels presented to out-of-town guests; but guests could not beat the price for the prime location on King Street.

amazing venue

Reviewed on 11/11/2012 Holly R

the staff was absolutely amazing. My husband was in a car accident the night before the wedding and broke his back. We were told we were not going to be ble to get married. Caroline and her team were able to help mke sure we still had a perfect wedding. They upgraded us to a larger suite to ensure all of our family could watch the ceremony and helped us find a videographer at last minute to film the ceremony. They played the ceremony in the ballroom to all of our guests. The food was amazing as well. I could have not asked for a better venue.

Parents of the bride

Reviewed on 5/11/2012 Nicole M

The general consensus of all of our guests was that it was the best meal anyone ever had at a wedding reception. The Francis Marion made our guests feel like number one and we couldn't ask for more than that! We opted for a 1920's theme that was a huge hit with our guests and the staff dressing the themed part was great. Everything exceeded our expectations. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating.

April Bride

Reviewed on 5/02/2012 Emily G

Loved our wedding here in the Gold Ballroom! The staff made everything run smoothly even though we were out-of-towners. Everything was well organized and beautiful.

Reception Location

Reviewed on 5/01/2012 Danielle F

Amazing food! All my guests gave the location and the food rave reviews.

Amazing

Reviewed on 1/01/2012 Lauren W

My husband and I stayed at the Francis Marion for our honeymoon, the room was wonderful and the lobby was beautiful ! on the plus side it was right in the middle of downtown charleston so we were within walking distance of everything (plus the trolley stopped right beside the hotel)... the negative side, if there is an event parking will be terrible.

Amazing venue, excellent staff, long distance plan

Reviewed on 12/28/2011 Gwenaelle P

Our wedding went absolutely perfectly. The staff at the Francis Marion hotel definitely knows what they are doing up to the very small details! My husband and I planned the wedding without much help from our parents, and while we were able to find guidelines online, we are so thankful to have chosen the Francis Marion hotel as our coordinator did not leave any detail to chance and brought up quite a few things that we had not thought about to our attention. The ballrooms are gorgeous and are a perfect location for an elegant wedding. The food was amazing and everybody complimented us about it. The house wine was fantastic... no need to go for the expensive stuff! And the hotel was able to provide us with an outside sparkling with only 1 week notice! Everything was just plain PERFECT! The only reason I took 1 star away is that because it was a destination wedding, we planned most of our wedding via email and our coordinator was sometimes forgetful of modifications discussed along the planning. I had to review the final contract in great details to ensure everything we had discussed was included! So... just make sure you review all the details on the final contract (which I am sure all brides would do anyways...)

fantastic evening!

Reviewed on 7/25/2011 katie s

We had an amazing wedding reception, and the folks at the Francis Marion Hotel were wonderful to work with. I would not have changed a single thing about the reception. My husband and I had been to a wedding at the FMH and didn't even consider the venue for our own wedding, frankly because we thought it would be too expensive. The food, service and elegance of the wedding we'd attented were terrific; there was no way we'd be able to do that... or so we thought. I finally broke down and looked into it and was pleasantly surprised. Caroline Bean, who was our contact for the duration of planning and carrying out the reception, was fabulous to work with. She never put any pressure on us and was with us from picking a ballroom to selecting a menu. She gave us sample contracts and menus and worked with us to get our reception plans underway within budget. The hotel was flexible in getting us in to set up the ballroom early the day of (we were fortunate to not have an event before ours; this might not always be the case!). Another important part of working with this venue was their open communication and availability for questions. Caroline Bean answered all of our inquiries and addressed all of our concerns immediately and expertly. As a bride, being frazzled and stressed out is the last thing I wanted or needed; Caroline never let that happen. Additionally, the food was amazing--a hot and fresh buffet?! Yes! Guests were satisfied and commented about how good the food was. The lines at the bar were never long, the buffet went smoothly and quickly, and everyone seemed to be enjoying the dinner. We were extremely pleased with the Francis Marion Hotel and would confidently recommend the efficiency, professionalism and friendliness of this venue to any couple. Happy planning!

LOVED IT

Reviewed on 12/09/2010 Stacy P

Our caterer for our wedding at the hotel themselves was the Francis Marion. The food was awesome and we had a ton of variety!

Beautiful Location and Good for Big Parties

Reviewed on 8/12/2010 Jackie E

Francis Marion was one of the few locations downtown that could host the number of guests I was having and they did a wonderful job. It was also the most reasonable for the cost.

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 JENNIFER MARIE H

The staff was wonderful. The food was excellant... The staff was so helpful in fixing any problems we had.;The management can be a pain to deal with if something is wrong.

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Jill K

Very charming and historic location.

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Meagan R

The room was beautiful without the need of a lot of decoration. It had a classic old world style. The staff was wonderful and really helped me feel like a queen. I didn't evenneed a coordinator because the hotel took care of so many things.;If you want a super casual wedding, this isn't the place.

Rating for The Francis Marion Hotel

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Emilie H

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Pamela B

It was located right in the historic Charleston area, so out of town guest got the feel of some of that great southern charm. It was really nice to have our wedding and reception in a place that really seemed to merge our cultures and represent us. I think that is the most important thing when selecting and venue. You should select a space that reflects your style and taste as a couple.;Get as much detail as possible on what is included and who will handle every aspect of your event. Know the exact names of all the parties involved (bar manager, catering manager, event planner, etc) Coordinate everything or have someone like a wedding planner to do that for you. Last minute things may come up but it is much better handled if you know who to call and what to ask for.

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Kalee G

I loved the atmosphere that the Francis Marion had. The hotel was beautiful and the location in downtown Charleston was awesome. The ballroom was spacious and fit all of our guests comfortably. The wait staff (not the management) did a great job.;WATCH OUT for them giving your guests the WRONG dinner! They served my bridal party LAST and they gave them a different chicken dinner then was on my menu. I gave the Francis Marion 3 different Excel spreadsheets that had the count of how many chicken dinners I needed. The guests also had place cards with their dinners written on them. I do not understand how they did not have enough chicken dinners. The manager at the Francis Marion the next day were not helpful and the man we spoke to was very rude to us and said he pretty much didn't know anything. He knew nothing of why my guests weren't served the correct dinner where my cake topper went why my bridal party was served last etc.

Reviewed on 5/19/2009 Shannon C

I loved the wedding coordinator. She took care of everything and was so nice. The food was amazing! I also loved that most of our guests were able to stay at the hotel so they didn't have to worry about getting home and they were able to take children upstairs when they got tired.

TO Francis Marion Hotel