Greysolon Ballroom by Black Woods

Greysolon Ballroom located in Duluth, MN, provides romantic ambience for any event. With a variety of rooms we can host intimate dinner parties or large-scale weddings. Black Woods' onsite catering and white glove service add to the experience. It is metropolitan sophistication within your budget.

Ballroom, Waterfront, Historic Venue

231 East Superior Street, Duluth, MN (218) 722-7466

Reviewed on 8/16/2017 Alainy S

Getting married are greysolon Ballroom was something I had dreamed of since I was little. On August 12th, 2017 that dream came true and it was beyond amazing. The staff there were so wonderful, from the moment we booked with them all the way up until our special day was done... Read More they made sure we had everything we needed and that out special day was everything we dreamed of. The team they is perfection. They make your big day special to you, and rally ain't that what we all want? If you are thinking of Greysolon ballroom as your venue? Think no more. If you chose it you will not regret. I can promise you that. It was truly the most beautiful and amazing day of my life. Thank you to the staff at Greysolon- you all are amazing.

Reviewed on 8/09/2017

Greysolon Ballroom is an amazing venue for a wedding. The facility is gorgeous, the food was delicious, but the staff is the absolute best! Every single person we worked with from the initial contact, the planning stages, and most of all on our daughter's wedding day, was... Read More extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and very friendly. Thank you very much!!

Reviewed on 7/17/2017 Stephanie N

Absolutely stunning venue and amazing people! My husband and I were so fortunate to stumble upon an ad for this location and inquire upon it. Jax, an absolutely wonderful lady, helped us navigate a date and gave us the extra push we needed to commit (our engagement had been a... Read More long one with two kids involved in that period so our wedding was constantly put on hold) and we are so thankful for that! We had a small intimate wedding in the moorish room and it was stunning! From the decor package to the ambiance the room gave off it was exactly the feel we envisioned! Kalysta, one of the coordinators, was absolutely a pleasure working with. I'm pretty indecisive and her ideas and suggestions made everything flow perfectly for our day! The process of planning two hours away was eased by the professionalism this team brought! I highly suggest this wedding venue. The price, professionalism from the staff and food were above and beyond our expectations. Even look into grooms dinner at this location- it was so beautiful and easy having it at the same location!

Reviewed on 7/15/2017 McKenna H

This venue and the people who run it were absolutely WONDERFUL! They were so kind and considerate. Whenever I had a questions they were able to answer it in a very timely manner. I had the greatest experience working with them. The Ballroom was absolutely beautiful. I couldn't... Read More have asked for a more PERFECT and LOVELY day! Hats off to Greysolon Ballroom!!!

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 Allison C

We planned our wedding at Greysolon from the Twin Cities as a "mini destination wedding." Although we weren't always proximal to Duluth, the planning process went very smoothly. From the start, Jax was just excellent, and Kalysta, Korah, and Aubrey as well. All of our... Read More correspondence and communications were clear and timely. It was easy to get ahold of staff and costs were transparent. Most importantly, the day of our wedding was incredibly smooth and FUN, even though we did ceremony and reception in the ballroom with a 45 minute room flip (NSE helped out) Mary and Aubrey were on site all day and extremely responsive and helpful, and the ballroom was truly STUNNING. I highly recommend attending the Greysolon vendor fair as well, which is where we found all of our vendors in one easy day and they were all excellent and surprisingly affordable. Our guests are still talking about what a fun day it was, how great the food and service was, and how stunning the venue was. We highly recommend this venue for your special day.

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 LeeAnn A

Planning a wedding was such a scary thought to me. It seemed impossible. Jax and all the nice ladies that work their made this process so much less stressful and a breeze. I am from out of state and never even got to see the venue before the big day. I was completely blown... Read More away by the beauty of the Moorish room. The venue staff was so helpful setting up and the food and cake were amazing! I have not one bad thing to say about this venue. It's easy to plan and the room with duluth uplighting looks breath taking. Our wedding day was perfect and I'm so glad I had such helpful nice people to walk me though how to even begin planning.

Reviewed on 7/08/2017

Where does one even start. When you are looking at spending over $20,000 you do expect top notch care. I fear that others are reviewing this vendor strictly on the atmosphere. Let me tell you all that was right, the atmosphere, what was wrong: Coat check girl was folding... Read More napkins the entire time. When I questioned her reply was "we have 8 weddings this weekend" needless to say no coats were checked nor were any gifts collected or cards correctly placed. The groom and men had to ask another to go and purchase them water, the food was lukewarm at best and one should NEVER put baked chicken strips into a warming over. It harkens to rubber and does not sit well with children, not to mention you should not feed children food that looks like the lunch lady scooped it. ie take the time and flatten your mashed potatoes- and is it really sanitary to carry uncovered food to over 200 people? Is it that much more expensive to have the silver tray covers? Do not set our your place settings prior to the tables being moved to say chaos ensured would be an understatement. Again, we were so disappointed and believe that in the twin cities this would NEVER be accepted. I feel the bride/groom should be reimbursed for the many failings on their special day....and I was just a guest!!!

Reviewed on 6/08/2017 Kelly W

Jax and her staff were the only venue to return my calls when I was looking for a venue in Duluth. They WANTED me as a customer! And what an UNBELIEVEABLE experience! Impeccable venue, food, service. Although they had weddings throughout the Greysolon, I was treated like the... Read More only customer. The whole team was on point- they knew my needs, my individual contract, I had NOTHING to worry about! They were also ALWAYS there for questions, concerns. They reached out to me when it was time to address certain aspects of my wedding. Oh yeah, you couldn't beat the price! Wonderful!

Reviewed on 5/31/2017 Candis R

We had both our wedding ceremony and reception here. They were very accommodating to all my requests and questions along on way. I always felt like we were really working as a team. They just wanted what I wanted. The day of the wedding was stress free. They were on top of... Read More all the details and checked in along the way to see if we needed anything. Everyone I worked with along the way were true professionals. Thanks for making my dreams come true!

Reviewed on 4/19/2017 Elise K

I cannot gush enough about Greysolon Ballroom itself and the staff there! We ended up booking a venue closer to our families but had been in contact with Jax at Greysolon over the past six weeks. The venue is beautiful and their prices are reasonable. Everyone I talked to was... Read More helpful and genuine. They are accommodating and excited for you. I would recommend them to anyone and am trying to find an excuse to throw a party there ASAP!

Reviewed on 4/04/2017 Meghan L

I'm towards the end of my planning and I cannot imagine doing any of it without Greysolon and their team. I have had some special requests such as having my own vegetarian meal item created and every stop of the eat they have told me that they are here to make my day the best.... Read More They have worked with every single request to find something that works for both of us. I highly highly recommend anyone in the Duluth area at least look into Greysolon for your venue. I cannot imagine better service. They exceeded every expectation. -- My wedding date has passed and Greysolon was absolutely wonderful for the day of. They even returned my cake stand for me after I had forgotten it there. They made the actual day go by without a hitch and without any added stress on me. I knew they were going to make my reception wonderful and they truly did.

Reviewed on 10/27/2016

Working with the Greysolon Ballroom team has been truly amazing! The sales team have been above and beyond on every level--suggestions about how to structure our wedding day beyond just the wedding details, tips and tricks about phones, and our family and friends to make it... Read More enjoyable for them as well... Things that I never even considered as a detail to planning a wedding. Woah! The insight their team shares with us is inspiring and relieving knowing we don't have to worry about any of these small details we didn't know existed. I'll recommend Greysolon to anyone! My fiancé and I couldn't be happier and cannot wait for our day there!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Meghan C

From the first meeting, to the final moments of our night, Greysolon Ballroom's staff exceeded our expectations. We always knew our experience was a top priority. It difficult to put a price tag on the amount of stress this venue alleviates, but not having to worry about the... Read More behind-the-scenes operations certainly provides incredible value. In the planning of our wedding, we worked primarily with Kalysta. She was OUTSTANDING!! It was such a relief to be able to email/call her with any concerns or questions and hear back in a timely manner. She certainly reduced and minimized the stress through the whole process. Greysolon Ballroom's unique venue was ideal. The space is so elegant, we did not have to invest a ton of time and energy into decorations. They even offer a reasonable center piece option in the contract (we opted out) to further reduce the time and energy required for set-up/tear down. In the weeks following the wedding, we have received many compliments pertaining to how beautiful our wedding was. I understand that dinner can always be a gamble at a wedding. Prior to booking at Greysolon, we had heard the food was good, but had never experienced it so we weren't sure what to expect. So far, I have yet to hear one negative bit of feedback on dinner. We went with the Champagne Chicken (house specialty) and the Roasted Pork Tenderloin. Both options were phenomenal. From the first table to receive their dinner to the last, the food was hot! This is even more impressive since our wedding party was lallygagging leading up to the grand march. I have years of service industry experience and I must say, the presentation and quality of dinner left nothing to be desired.

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Kristin R

We had our reception in the ballroom and could not be more happy with our choice. We want to thank Jax, Kalysta, Melissa, Rachel, Korah, and the entire Greysolon staff for the wonderful work that they do! They are so helpful and provide support and suggestions without ever being... Read More pushy. They were attentive to every request and exceptionally quick to respond to emails and phone calls. About a week before our wedding I asked if they could get a wheelchair for my 86 year old grandpa as I knew it would be a long and exciting day. Korah and the staff responded quickly and not only found one, but had it waiting for my grandpa when my family checked in to the Sheraton. He was able to save energy to disco on the dance floor with all his grandchildren. I'm so grateful for both the beautiful, historic venue and the wonderful staff! I highly recommend them. Kristin and Ian

Reviewed on 9/13/2016 Krystin J

We recently had our wedding reception in the Moorish Room at Greysolon Plaza. I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for all of the staff's hard work. Kalysta and Korah, as well as our event manager and catering team were absolutely amazing to work with. Kalysta and... Read More Korah were so thoughtful and offered such a personalized approach. They were able to capture our vision and turn it into a reality. The staff went above and beyond to ensure a stress-free planning process as well as wedding day. I highly recommend this venue to anyone planning a wedding if you are looking for a beautiful, elegant, timeless and stress-free venue.

Reviewed on 9/01/2016 Kharissa J

Unfortunately, I was unable to book with this venue due to a conflict with my date and another, already booked wedding. However, I must say that these people were exceptionally quick to respond and provided me with pictures of the venue options and very detailed information and... Read More pricing. I am very grateful for their conscientious handling of communication and am very disappointed that the date did not work out. I would have loved to have my wedding here and to have been able to work further with these people.

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Katie K

We really wanted a beach destination wedding but we also wanted a turnkey event where once ours guests were there- they didn't need to leave. Greysolon offered a fabulous location next to water photo ops and a beautiful ceremony/reception space. Our experience with Aubrey,... Read More Rachel, Korah, Kaylsta and Jax was fantastic. They were super responsive, helpful, fun and great to us, our family and our vendors. Thank you very much for a lovely time and the night of our lives!

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Haley M

My husband and I loved our experience working with everyone at the Greysolon. They answered every question, every phone call and every email. They worked so well with my wedding coordinator and every vendor we hired. If we could do it all over again, we wouldn't have gotten... Read More married anywhere else.

Reviewed on 8/17/2016

My husband Dave and I had our reception At Greysolon Ballroom and food by Blackwoods. Our wedding was in June and we were so impressed with the wedding planners, the staff, the venue and the food. The wedding planners were amazing and couldn't do enough for us! They were with... Read More us every step of the way. The staff that worked with us in the morning as we brought items in for set-up were amazing. The venue was absolutely beautiful! We would highly recommend having your wedding and/or reception at Greysolon!

Reviewed on 8/08/2016 Chelsea L

I cannot rave enough about Greysolon Plaza. We had our reception in the ballroom on June 25th,2016 and were just blown away. From day one, our wedding planning experience was personalized and special. Kalysta and Jax did everything possible to bring our vision to life and were... Read More just a pleasure to work with. On the actual wedding day, the staff was beyond attentive and helpful. Greysolon and their staff offer a "homey" atmosphere that you don't find every day. We are still receiving compliments on our food- everything was delicious. I could go on and on, honestly. It was the most amazing day of our lives and it wouldn't have been the same anywhere else. You will not be disappointed if you go with Greysolon.

Reviewed on 7/30/2016 Kaylee N

We cannot say enough amazing things about the Greysolon Ballroom venue and staff! Kalysta was so thoughtful and incredible through out the entire wedding planning process, she felt like family by the end of our experience. I cannot tell you the amount of compliments we have... Read More received about our wedding. We had our ceremony and reception in the ballroom. The day went so smoothly from start to finish. The space was absolutely gorgeous! The food was amazing, people are still talking about it! We had the Italian buffet with manicotti, lasagna, spaghetti, Alfredo, ceaser salad and added the champagne chicken... It was truly delicious! We also did the late night pizzas which were my husbands favorite! We got ready in the bridal suite and the new grooms quarters and had mimosas and pales of ale. We also had the chicken salad sandwhiches, ham sandwhiches and pasta salad which our bridal party loved! Right after the ceremony the bridal party all went straight down stairs to the martini lounge while the guest started cocktail hour. It was such a nice way to take a quick breather right after the ceremony before greeting all the guests-I highly recommend doing this! To make it even better the Greysolon team give you 50 $5 off drink tickets for the black water lounge and $100 gift card so this covered everyone's martinis or two and beverages during this time so that we could just leave the bartenders a nice tip! Everything was so well planned and easy going my husband and I really were able to just sit back and take in all of the love around us. I highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to get married! It was beautiful, elegant and priced very reasonably for all that is included!!

Reviewed on 2/08/2016 Annika W

We were married at Greysolon Plaza in the Moorish Room last fall and I can't say enough wonderful things about the venue and staff. Kalysta and team went above and beyond to ensure an easy planning process and a truly memorable wedding day. I will forever recommend Greysolon -... Read More such an amazing experience.

Reviewed on 12/01/2015

If you are having trouble deciding on a venue, let me make the decision easy for you: CHOOSE THE GREYSOLON BALLROOM. You will NOT regret it. Here's why: 1) The venue is (obviously) GORGEOUS. Large chandeliers, detailed ceilings, hardwood floors, beautiful groom suite and bridal... Read More suite, unique restrooms, and so much more. 2) Save money on decor. This place is so beautiful on its own that you don't need to spend a ton of money on flowers, centerpieces, etc. Embrace the gold and ivory tones in the venue and add in a few DIYs, you're good to go! 3) The Greysolon staff and catering team are phenomenal! We received several compliments from our guests about the fast service, tasty food, and great drinks. (Tip: Try the Cucumber Press!) 4) Kalysta, Jax, and the entire crew will make your wedding planning easy and fun. We planned our wedding from Minneapolis and did everything via email or over the phone. From the first planning call to the day-of details, they made sure everything was PERFECT. Kalysta and her team absolutely blew me away on the day of our wedding. 5) Budget-friendly, but looks fancy! Jax and Kalysta will work within your budget. They are never pushy and have great suggestions for food, beverage, and decor options to meet your needs. I am so lucky that I had my dream wedding at the Greysolon! Cheers!

Best day ever

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Brianna B

We recently had our wedding ceremony a reception at the Moorish Room at Greysolon Plaza. One word describes our experience...FLAWLESS! From the time that we booked our venue the staff was wonderful. Quick to respond to my emails all along the way, no matter how small or large my... Read More request. The staff on the day of the event was wonderful, so helpful and accommodating. There was no stress on me or my husband on our wedding day. I would highly recommend having a wedding here. The Moorish Room was so beautiful that we didn't need much for decor. A must see for sure.

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Audrey T

Greysolon Ballroom by Blackwoods went above and beyond for my wedding. I would highly recommend this beautiful venue to everyone! The planning for our wedding was incredibly smooth and helpful for us because we can be indecisive. Jax helped us in so many ways from food decisions... Read More to décor ideas. The day of the wedding was flawless and without a hitch because the staff and team at Greysolon Ballroom are top notch. The food was delicious and would highly recommend late night snacks! We could not have had such a beautiful day without the staff at Greysolon ballroom.

Meet The Director of Sales

Jax Eisenmann

I began working for Black Woods in 1993, 21 years ago. Before mysales position at Greysolon Ballroom I was the Sales Coordinator for Black Woods Event Center and Black Woods Catering. My expertise in wedding planning is beyond just the years I have been in this business, its in my heart and soul - I know i've planned over 1,000 weddings!! If you are looking for the expert knowledge, a true friend in planning and a leader in making the planning process easy - I know I can help you! It would be an honor to get to know you and be a part of your very special day! Can't wait to meet you!