Michael Benson Photography

New England, NY and Destination weddings anywhere!

Capturing your Wedding Day. Life's best moments.

It is about catching the special moments between family and friends as they celebrate your wedding day, your new life together, your future. It is done best when it is done quietly in a way that lets the day flow. I work with couples all over the Northeast and beyond. I'd love to discuss your plans.

Artistic, Documentary, Lifestyle

Bridal Portraits, Engagement

Rehearsals + Parties, Wedding

Destination Weddings, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available

New England, NY and Destination weddings anywhere! (203) 500-4411

Reviewed on 7/12/2017 Halley T

Michael and Jeff are by far the best photographers around. They captured our day in ways we would've never imagined. Every time we see a picture, we are brought back to the exact feelings and memories from each moment. Along with their creative (they chose unique and inspiring... Read More locations for our photo shoots), fun and professional photography skills, these two individuals care very much about their couples and families. Michael pulled me to the side, as things were unfolding, reminding me to be in the moment and witness the beauty around me; he spoke with family members to create ease and reminded them as well to enjoy every minute; his intuition was spot on and he did not hesitate to jump in when he felt he could add more love and joy to the day. Jeff visited my husband in the morning and shared beautiful words and blessings with him, along with taking awesome portrait photos and more. When Jeff returned to my suite, he said "I love that man!" So as you can see, both Michael and Jeff are incredible people and are pieces of the wedding puzzle that will make all weddings shine. I 100% recommend Michael and Jeff to each and everyone of you. They will meet with you to share photo books of prior events, discuss phot shoot locations, share suggestions about other wedding vendors to make your planning easier and share stories to begin a relationship. We plan to have Michael and Jeff do photo shoots for all future life events. Listen to their suggestions because they are leading from their hearts and truly want you to have a magical experience. For example, another couple was reviewing first look photos vs. photos after the ceremony and Michael shared the beauty in seeing each other for the first time as the bride begins to walk down the aisle and the groom sees her...this couples was brought to tears and said "we will miss whatever is needed even the cocktail hour just to have that moment together." Such beautiful advice and visuals: and that's just one of many. Logistics: they work out a seamless time line, so you can attend your cocktail hour and anything else you desire. They work around pitfalls and timing issues. For example, we were late to church due to an unrelated issue, so they were unable to get portrait pictures of me and then due to another issue they couldn't get pics from the front at our reception table, so they improvised and came up with alternatives that were unique and beautiful. They did all of this on their own, so our night wasn't interrupted in any way. Michael also called to follow up after our wedding to be sure we were happy and to let us know how they improvised. It's always great to connect with them and we hope you get the chance to as well. Make sure to book in advance, as they fill up quickly.

Reviewed on 6/30/2016 Erica T

If this rating had more stars, me and my whole bridal party would give it to them. Wow! Words cannot express how wonderful they were. My husband and I are not picture people and Michael made us feel at ease and comfortable from the first time we met. He was professional,... Read More helpful, incredibly kind and patient, and helped make our day amazing. Our guests all commented on how great him and his partner were and how much fun they had taking pictures with him. Michael was truly a pleasure to work with and the preliminary photos that were sent the next day look a.m.a.z.i.n.g! Thank you, so much, and if you are a bride in search of a talented and personable photographer, Michael is your guy.

2016-07-12T20:25:00 Response from the vendor

Wow Erica you posted this review before I even asked for it. Thank you so much for the kind words. We had such a great time working with you and Craig. Everyone made us feel like family! I'm so glad to hear we helped make... Read Less Read More

Look no further...Michael Benson is AMAZING!

Reviewed on 11/05/2015 Madeleine V

I have had the pleasure of working with Michael Benson and his assistant, Jeff, at three weddings. The latest wedding was my own. I knew after he photographed my friend's wedding that he had to photograph mine this past September. Michael is one of a kind - he's personable,... Read More easy to work with, beyond friendly and accommodating, and he genuinely cares about his clients. Michael was the first vendor I booked and I couldn't have imagined planning my wedding without his words of advice and help. He helped calm my jitters and reassured me that everything would run smoothly on the day of, which of course it did! He helped create a day-of timeline and offered suggestions about time management to ensure that all of the shots we wanted were executed properly. Michael had so many opinions and ideas about particular shots he thought would work nicely, and he asked for my specifications and requirements to ensure that our photographs would turn out exactly as my husband and I wanted. Michael and Jeff were both on time and couldn't have done a better job keeping everyone stress-free and relaxed. They reserved the entire day for our wedding and spent all day capturing each and every moment. Michael and Jeff worked well with our videographer, too, and they offered each other suggestions throughout the day. Michael sent me a proof of 25 pictures within days of the wedding and has been in touch with me since then. He kept me in form of when my pictures would be ready and has always asked if there was anything else he could do for me and my husband. Most vendors I worked with were business-like and unpersonable, but Michael made me feel like I was his only bride and client. He reassured me on numerous accounts that he would do everything in his power to make my day exactly how I wanted it. I couldn't have asked for a better experience with my photographers. Our wedding would not have been the same without Michael and Jeff. I feel so strongly about how wonderful they are as people and as photographers, and if I can offer any bride words of wisdom it would be to hire Michael Benson as their wedding photographer. He is the best of the best!

Reviewed on 9/21/2017 Krista S

Michael and Jeff are incredible! We initially chose to hire them for our wedding day because they are so personable and we completely hit it off with them upon meeting them. Knowing we'd be with our photographers from am to pm on our special day, it was important for us to... Read More choose wisely! Jeff completely put my husband at ease prior to the ceremony and both Michael and Jeff were so laid back and easy to work with, helping set the tone for the day. We recently received our photos and had an absolute blast "reliving" our day through these amazing and beautiful memories that were captured. I especially love that they were able to catch so much emotion - laughter, tears, love and happiness. We cannot thank Michael and Jeff enough for being a part of our special day and for providing us with a lifetime of memories we will cherish forever.

Reviewed on 9/03/2017 Samantha C

Being a New England transplant bride who lives 2,000 miles away (In Austin. TX) from her Block Island. RI destination wedding location, it was imperative to us that we found a photographer who was as familiar and passionate about Block Island as we are. After struggling to get... Read More in contact with several photographers in the area, Michael was immediately responsive and showed great interest in getting to know us as a couple. After our first meeting, I knew our wedding photography would be nothing to worry about while in his hands. He is so welcoming and relatable not to mention talented. His portfolio is very impressive and he checked in with us every step of the way during the planning process. He and his assistant were so calm and collected- despite my wedding day jitters ;) They were such a joy to have around on our special day. The sneek peek of our photos that we have already received made us giddy with excitement. Michael and his team genuinely care about his clients and we would hire him a million times again!

Reviewed on 8/24/2017 Kelly C

Michael and his assistant, Jeff were amazing. We can now relive our beautiful day with his wonderful pictures, I would highly recommend Michael Benson Photography, not only were the pictures great but they both jumped right into the fun of our night, always right there ready to... Read More capture every special moment. Michael knew the perfect places to take pictures on Block Island, we are so blessed we found them and hope to work with them in the future.

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Melanie M

We are so glad we chose Michael Benson and his photography team to capture our beautiful wedding ! All of the photos were amazing from the back drops to the lighting to the moments he captured . He was able to tell the story of our day with pictures which we can relive over and... Read More over ! They fit right into the wedding day as if they were guests and were always present to capture the big moments! Truly talented and truly fabulous ! Thank you Michael !

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Marcella B

It was a wonderful experience working with Michael and his assistant Jeff at our wedding! They were patient and so easy to work with! Everyone has commented on how beautiful our sneak peaks came out! I would recommend them over and over! They truly captured my special day!!... Read More Brett and I look forward to working with them again!!

2016-09-30T12:30:53 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Marcella. We had such a great time working with you and Brett. Your families and friends were wonderful. It was a beautiful wedding! Love the Brazilian desserts too!!! We look forward to working with you all again in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed on 9/15/2016 Robyn Z

Michael Benson was absolutely wonderful to work with!!! He was friendly and made our wedding in Block Island absolutely amazing! He took the time to learn our entire bridal parties first names as well as our parents. The entire experience was great and I highly recommend using... Read More him for a photographer!

Reviewed on 8/25/2016 Allyson C

Michael Benson and Jeff were absolutely fantastic to work with! They really went above and beyond for us helping us throughout the day. They were quick and efficient when it came to doing all the group shots of the families and bridal party which could have been tricky since we... Read More had such a big bridal party and have large families as well. I would strongly recommend these two guys for anyone's wedding day. You won't be disappointed I promise!

Reviewed on 2/17/2016 Katelyn D

Michael Benson was wonderful!! There are so many choices to make while planning a wedding, so many people to hire and to TRUST. Having Michael as our photographer is one of the only things I wouldn't change if I could do it again (except my groom of course). He was extremely... Read More professional, but also felt like family! He took gorgeous pictures, listened to what we wanted, and really delivered! We were very lucky to have him and Jeff be part of our wedding day :-) THANK YOU GUYS, you really meant a lot to us that day!

Great to work with!

Reviewed on 11/12/2015 M L

Michael was great to work with! We hit it off right away and he was willing to answer my many, many questions. Our engagement shoot was great! My now-husband and I are not used to being photographed and we thought our pictures would look awkward, but they came out amazingly.... Read More Michael was reliable and did a great job with our Block Island wedding in June 2015. He made sure to get all of the pictures we had requested, and was able to get a read on our personalities quickly. All of our pictures are beautiful; we had a hard time picking which to use for our Christmas card!

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Christina N

Michael was the perfect photographer for our Block Island wedding this October. We first met Michael at the Block Island wedding show. His professional and fun personality made us feel comfortable and excited about our photos. Furthermore, his work is just absolutely stunning.... Read More Michael and his assistant Jeff were a wonderful pair and immediately blended with our bridal party, parents and friends making everyone feel so at ease and natural. They even swooned a crew of some of the most wild, hopped up on sugar kiddos around! My husband doesn't love to be photographed but even he said how natural it felt with Michael and Jeff around he didn't even notice many of the great shots they were getting. Needless to say, our photos came out amazing. We just received our sneak peek photos and look forward to all the others to come. If you are looking for a great photographer, contact Michael. You won't be disappointed!