The Purple Orchid, Event Planning

Planning Throughout Maine

The Purple Orchid, Event Planning

The Purple Orchid, a Maine Event Planning company, specializes in tented, outside and backyard weddings. The Purple Orchid, Event Planning has professional relationships with caterers, rental companies, musicians, photographers and artists, ensuring you will be working with top professionals.

Engagement Party, Rehearsal Dinner, Welcome Party, Ceremony, Wedding

A la Carte Wedding Planning, Budgeting, Day-Of Coordination, Full Service Wedding Planning, Planning

Portland, ME Planning Throughout Maine (207) 615-4674

Reviewed on 7/20/2015 Jose R

Kristina and her assistant Chelsea proved their worth and more on our wedding day! I don't know how I would have made it through the event without them! Kristina solved problems and worked out glitches independently and when she requested my input she always had helpful... Read More suggestions so I never felt overly stressed, even when my timeline had to be modified halfway through the event! Kristina and Chelsea never stopped moving, and were on top of everything, communicating with all of our vendors and coordinating each step of my wedding flawlessly. Purple Orchid was not only efficient and professional, but also fun and personable as well. It was a pleasure working with Kristina and we recommend her services to anyone planning any event!

Reviewed on 7/08/2016 Nicole A

We can't say enough good things about Kristina and The Purple Orchid. Kristina answered every question and helped with every stress I had throughout the whole wedding planning process. When I finally met Kristina the night of the rehearsal dinner I knew I had nothing to worry... Read More about. She has one of those personalities where you just know you can trust her! During the wedding day Kristina and Mellie took care of EVERYTHING! They made sure everything was perfect. One little thing that really meant a lot to us was Kristina bringing food over to our grandparents who were too hot/tired to go outside to the "cocktail area". That was so thoughtful and really made us feel taken care of.

2016-07-08T19:19:16 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for these super kind words! We had so much fun working with you - planners dream clients! I have to give the credit in looking after your grandparents to your photographer. While she was busy capturing moments of friends and family,... Read Less Read More

Worth every penny!

Reviewed on 8/29/2015 Kelly W

Kristina and Chelsea are a god-send! We feel very thankful to have decided on a day-of wedding coordinator. Kristina was excellent to work with from the very start. Planning a wedding two states a way, we had an initial phone conversation that alluded to an immediate connection... Read More and understanding of our wedding needs and vision. She met us prior to the event at our wedding location. Our wedding was at my husband's family summer home; thus, we had to pull in MANY different vendors to come out to this little Maine, island. Kristina organized all the vendors seamlessly. She contacted each one prior to the wedding and took that worry off of our plates and allowed us to enjoy the morning leading up to the big moment. The day of the wedding she showed up early to help with set-up and nailed every last one of our little details (and as a teacher, there were many). During all of this she remained friendly and professional. We are extremely thankful that we went with a day-of wedding coordinator and that this was The Purple Orchid. I would highly recommend them!

2015-10-22T13:54:16 Response from the vendor

Dude, your pictures are amazing! What a blast of a day. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reviewed on 6/26/2017 Jamie P

Hiring Purple Orchid was hands down the BEST decision we made in our wedding planning process. Our wedding day was a complete fairytale and we were able to live every moment fully because Kristina and Meli were there to take care of everything for us as coordinators. We started... Read More planning about two years prior to our actual wedding day, and being from New York, we needed someone with knowledge of the area. I immediately clicked with Kristina and felt in such good hands. She was so patient with me every step of the way and always made me feel like a priority, even though my wedding was so far away and she surely had events that were sooner and more pressing. She led us to incredible vendors and as we got closer to the wedding, our stress level actually DECREASED because she handled all of the coordination in the weeks and days leading up. She made us feel so relaxed and well taken care of on the day and on top of it all, she is just such a kind and fun person to have with you on that very special day. Her and her assistant Meli had everything under control, and we quite literally worried about nothing the day of. We trusted them completely and it was PERFECT. My family and friends all commented on how well put together everything was and my response to them was always "Kristina and Meli are amazing!!!!" We'll miss them and wish they could plan every event in our lives! We can't say enough incredible things about The Purple Orchid, they are a MUST have for your Maine Wedding.

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Rebecca G

While we felt OK about our pre-wedding engagement with Kristina, she sent her colleague Chelsea to our venue for the rehearsal. Kristina had clearly not prepped Chelsea well for the day and we were VERY upset. We had worked tirelessly on our schedule of events together - down... Read More to the minute - and Chelsea showed up with a blank piece of paper with our names on it and no background of our story, flow of the day, etc. She even opened the rehearsal by saying 'if you could all SHUT UP for 15 minutes, we can all get out of here'. This was extremely unprofessional and shocking to us having worked with Kristina. Then, we did our walk around the property only to have 'to do's' delegated to us the night before our wedding by the planner. This was also shocking to us. We were told to relinquish control to Kristina and her staff a week before our wedding and now we're being asked to make arrangements the day before our wedding? What were we paying for then?! To seal the deal, we were told by our venue to send some friends over in the morning to 'babysit' the planners as they required a tremendous amount of oversight. On our wedding day, Kristina did manage to pull everything together; however, instead of relieving my stress as a bride, her staff elevated my anxiety level and caused me to put my friends and family to work. We are devastated by the lack of consistent service we were afforded during this important time. While Kristina is highly skilled as a day-of planner, we don't trust her staff and would caution brides/grooms-to-be when enlisting her services.

2016-11-01T13:56:36 Response from the vendor

As painful as it is to read your comments, I appreciate your feedback. The Purple Orchid, Event Planning has always tried to go above and beyond for all of its clients. The reason why I started the business is because we love what we do,... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Lindsay S

We worked with The Purple Orchid to plan our July 2016 wedding. We opted to do the full package and are so grateful for Kristina's help! Kristina assisted us with every step. One thing I loved about working with Kristina was that I never second-guessed decisions. She helped... Read More us narrow down options, make a decision, and then move on to the next task. Kristina was very knowledgeable and worked with us on major tasks, such as choosing vendors and reviewing contracts, as well as the smaller details such as putting together a detailed hour-by-hour timeline for our wedding day and making sure all vendors had it well in advance. She was always available during wedding planning to answer questions, make suggestions, and keep us on track. Besides doing wonderful work, she was also very organized, professional, and personable. About a month before our wedding, we planned a weekend to meet with vendors, but ended up getting a flat tire and which delayed us about 4 hours. Kristina waited for us anyways to attend the final walk-through appointment with our venue and contacted vendors whose appointments we missed. She rescheduled them for us and was more concerned about our flat tire than anything else! I highly recommend Kristina and The Purple Orchid. She made the wedding planning process much easier and ensured that everything turned out wonderfully on the big day!

2016-09-26T13:47:07 Response from the vendor

Hope you two are doing great! Miss you already. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your day- it was magical. xoxo Kristina

Reviewed on 8/06/2016 Micah S

We hired Purple Orchid Event Planning in December 2015 for our July 2016 wedding. We purchased the full Maine Wedding Planner package. True to how the package is advertised, Kristina's service was virtually unlimited. She particularly excelled during the first month of planning... Read More and the last week before (and of course the day of) the event. She helped us quickly identify a wedding site by pre-filtering locations based on our tastes, date restrictions and budget. My wife and I live in Boston, so she arranged to have us tour five sites in one day. We ended up choosing a location we would never have considered without the benefit of her experience. She has a great approach where she proposes several options for each vendor need, depending on your budget and tastes, and offers editorial perspective where necessary. She makes the process much more manageable while also making you feel like it is still your day. She is a great sounding board and voice of calm and reason during a process that could otherwise be rather stressful. We truly rarely felt stressed through the whole planning process. Fast forward to the week before the wedding: Kristina was on top of every detail. Our particular crisis was the mobile bathroom vendor canceling our reservation five days before the wedding. We never worried about it, and Kristina took care of it. Come the Friday before the weekend, we handed off a car full of table cards, Ketubah, photos for display, etc. and then stopped worrying about any details. She and her team took care of everything the weekend of the wedding, and we never worried about any of it. Highly recommended, especially for outdoor weddings--and for couples short on time.

2016-09-26T13:47:55 Response from the vendor

Hello you two! Thank you so much for the review- so very kind and thoughtful. Hope you two are doing great and please be in touch the next time you are in Maine. xoxo Kristina and team

Reviewed on 11/02/2015 heather s

Absolutely the best money we spent for our wedding! Kristina was an absolute pleasure to work with. She was professional but also felt like a friend right from the beginning. She made me feel at ease and wasn't afraid to interject her opinion (which was right and made the best... Read More sense!) I was so grateful to have Kristina execute everything that my husband and I put together for the wedding. Even though we hired her as a day-of coordinator, she regularly touched based with us throughout our wedding planning process and also provided some great recommendations and feedback. If it wasn't for her, we may not have met our caterer - and the food was to die for!! You will absolutely not regret hiring Kristina and her team at Purple Orchid. If you want your big day to be truly stress-free... then contact her today. She really will make your dreams come true.

2016-01-06T15:18:19 Response from the vendor

Thank you lady! I just emailed you- was going through your photos...oh my gosh!!! Beautiful. Please stay in touch. Your friend, Kristina

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Molly M

My now husband and I got married in September up in Rangeley, ME. We agreed to hire a day of wedding coordinator to ease the stress of our wedding day and to appoint one person to be in charge, so that everyone else could day a back seat and enjoy the ride, and what an amazing... Read More ride it was! Thank god for Kristina and Chelsea. Planning a wedding in a little town in the mountain/lake region two states away is not easy. They met with us a month or two before the wedding day at the venue and we outlined the day of wedding activities and I instantly felt secure in our decision. Chelsea was our coordinator for the wedding day and she executed everything flawlessly, I truly could not have ask for a better go-to person. I had so many details and she made sure everything was precisely how I had envisioned it. This was by far the best decision we made for the wedding and honestly worth every penny, I cannot recommend them enough!

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Molly M

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Amy G

Very pleased, good guidance throughout the planning process, easy to reach when needed, and professional. Nice to have the help with coordination of vendors and day of setup. A great day!

Reviewed on 10/25/2015 Katie C

Hiring Kristina as our day-of wedding coordinator was one of the best decisions of our whole wedding process. She coordinated with each of our vendors (and we had many!) prior to the wedding weekend and arrived on site early the day of to make sure everything was set up... Read More beautifully and in order. It was so helpful knowing she would be there to not only set everything up at both the ceremony and reception locations, but troubleshoot anything that might come up throughout the day. I knew I wouldn't have to worry about logistics and could just focus on getting married and having fun! She took care of everything on our wedding day--the decorations were beautiful and creatively arranged, and the schedule of events ran so smoothly. She was always willing to give advice or answer questions during my planning. She also knows most of the vendors in the area and had a great system in place. I met Kristina once before the wedding at our wedding site and otherwise communicated via email and phone. I would highly recommend getting a day-of coordinator especially at venues that are very hands on and don't offer their own staff. It makes your life SO much easier come wedding day. It made all the work we put into months of planning worth it to see everything come together beautifully and have the ability to just experience every moment of my wedding day and not worry. Kristina and Chelsea did a terrific job -- I highly recommend The Purple Orchid for your wedding!!

2015-10-26T09:15:02 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words. Much love and laughter to you both! Please stay in touch!

Reviewed on 10/24/2015

Kristina was a great wedding planner. She was extremely good at getting a sense of the style/mood we were going for, and then recommending places that fit that style. She was also an immense, immense help day-of. She helped solve dozens of small problems that (inevitably)... Read More emerge. Without her, much of our wedding day would have been spent troubleshooting, which would have greatly detracted from our experience. If you are looking to have a cheaper-then-average wedding, I would just recommend being really explicit about your budget, and continuously checking in about whether you are on track to make it. Many of her vendors, though fantastic, are not particularly cheap (which isn't a bad thing necessarily, since they're all very professional), but nevertheless I'd recommend being very explicit about your constraints and where you're willing to sacrifice elegance for affordability.

2015-10-26T09:14:05 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words- you two are fantastic and we has so much fun working with you... please stay in touch.

Reviewed on 10/22/2015 Stacy B

Kristina and her team was so amazing. We loved her from the moment we met her. She was fabulous to work for and all of our other vendors raved about her! We think the world of her and would recommend her to any couple planning a special day! Kristina was more than just a... Read More planner - she became a friend !

Reviewed on 10/22/2015 Kate T

Working with Kristina was FANTASTIC. My husband and I planned a wedding in Maine from NYC, and my parents were in Pittsburgh. As disjointed as that sounds, Kristina and her team pulled everything together and made the whole process seamless and as pain-free as a wedding planning... Read More can be :) Everything about our day was completely perfect, and every detail handled -- I didn't have to lift a finger on the day-of (except to put a ring on it!) If you're planning a wedding in Maine, she's your girl, without a doubt.

2015-10-22T13:38:29 Response from the vendor

Thank you Kate! It was such a pleasure working with you all. Is it so weird to say, "My husband?"

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

My husband and I always say that Kristina was our best choice in our whole wedding planning process. I don't have enough space to write how awesome Kristina and Purple Orchid was for our Maine island wedding. She was organized, laid back, professional, proactive and went above... Read More and beyond in all respects to ensure our day was perfect - which it was. I cannot recommend Kristina enough - seriously. I was one of those people that thought we wouldn't need a wedding planner and I repeat - best decision we made by far!!! Besides her help prior to the wedding Kristina and her teammate Chelsea were incredible on the day of - they made sure the day was flawlessly executed. Best choice!!

2015-10-22T13:52:54 Response from the vendor

Wasn't that one of the best days ever? Thank you so much for making us a part of it. xoxo Kristina

Above and Beyond

Reviewed on 10/06/2015 Leigh S

We hired Kristina at the Purple Orchid Event Planning as our wedding planner. She was truly amazing to work with, professional, organized, stayed within budget, and helped us visualize our wedding. We were completely at ease on the day of our wedding knowing everything had been... Read More taken care of. She went above and beyond our expectations and we couldn't have asked for a better wedding planner and friend.

2015-10-06T20:30:43 Response from the vendor

A friend for sure. What a pleasure working with you. Please stay in touch! I want baby pictures one day :)

Reviewed on 6/17/2015 Michelle P

Kristina and her staff were amazing! Every detail went off without a hitch. I live 3000 miles away and she was easy to work with and I always felt like I had an advocate. She was honest and forthright and I could not have asked for better communication! Our wedding exceeded mine... Read More and my husbands expectations!!

2015-10-06T20:30:06 Response from the vendor

I hope newlywed life is treating you great! Miss you guys.

Do Yourself a Favor and Hire Purple Orchid

Reviewed on 1/08/2015 Jersey G

Hiring Purple Orchid Event Planning for my Maine wedding was the best decision I ever made. After speaking with a number of different Maine wedding planners, Kristina stood out as capable, knowledgeable, and ready to take on the job. I hired her soon thereafter and decided to... Read More go with the “full service” package- and to this day, it was the best “wedding purchase” I made. I am a bride located in Massachusetts and wanted to have a lakeside, backyard wedding in Western Maine. Both the groom and I were set on getting married on Kezar Lake, a place that is very special to us for several reasons. However, both sets of our parents were very concerned with our choice of location. They weren’t sure it could fit 100 guests, they were terrified that the ground was not level enough, and they had no idea where to put the tent. They were worried about parking, finding adequate vendors, and catering to the guests’ needs. The groom and I were adamant about the location, and arranged for Kristina to meet us on Kezar Lake to obtain her professional opinion. Kristina arrived on time and her professionalism was apparent from the start. We showed her where we envisioned the ceremony and reception, expecting her to be as doubtful as our parents. To our delight, she said that our vision would definitely work and even suggested a perfect place for the cocktail hour under the trees. Throughout the course of the next year, Kristina was instrumental in executing the vision I wanted. I set up a Pinterest page, so that she could see ideas, styles, and themes that I liked. She listened to what I wanted and was receptive when I explained what I didn’t want. She was attentive to my style and also came up with great ideas. She gave me the names of amazing vendors, all of whom were in my price range. She kept me on my deadlines and reminded me of my to-do list. When my parents decided last minute that they needed a fancy port-a-potty, Kristina found them a vendor right away. We found out she made an unexpected trip to the lake (a 2 hour drive) to make sure that the Port-a-Potty and tent would work. Fast forward to the wedding day: Kristina was incredible. She took care of all my needs and more. After all the frenzy of the previous days, I was actually able to enjoy the day. She helped set up the tables, made sure the decorations were perfect, put up signs, set up the escort cards. She constantly checked in on me, brought me sparkling water, and kept us to our schedule. We had an incident where the dock broke with the entire wedding party on it – and she dried the groomsmens’ pants! At the reception, I actually saw her filling up water glasses- something that was definitely not in her job description. Kristina wanted to make sure it was the best possible day ever and it was. We received compliments from every wedding guest including several “best wedding we’ve ever been to”. It couldn’t have been the wonderful day it was without the help of the Purple Orchid team. Seriously, do yourself a big favor and hire Kristina. You won’t regret it!

2015-10-06T20:30:57 Response from the vendor

Miss you guys!

Our Wedding Event Weekend

Reviewed on 10/15/2014

Kristina from The Purple Orchid was absolutely wonderful in every aspect of her services. Always available and in touch, getting each detail just right. We were out of state and she became our hands on the ground, she saw exactly what we wanted and when above and beyond what... Read More we expected. All of our guests said that this wedding weekend event was unlike anything they had ever been to, it exceeded all of their expectations. That made my son, my daughter in law and us very very happy. By all means use her services, you won't be disappointed!!!

2015-10-06T20:31:45 Response from the vendor

Happy Anniversary!

We loved Kristina!

Reviewed on 9/04/2014

My husband and I were married last weekend in Maine. We had the best time at our wedding. It went better than we could have ever imagined, and we totally agree that this is because of Kristina. Kristina was on point from the very beginning. She was in constant contact through... Read More email, phone, and in-person meetings. She kept track of details, made helpful suggestions, and even got in touch with vendors when I couldn't. She is easy to connect with and, even in the most chaotic moments, always comes across as calm and capable. Bottom line: we were able to enjoy our day so much more because we knew Kristina was organized and in control. We couldn't have done it without her!

Absolutely Priceless

Reviewed on 7/08/2014

Kristina and her assistant Clementine were so key to having our day go smoothly. I cannot say enough good things about them. They never stopped moving and there was no task that they didn't mind jumping in on- grabbing buckets of ice, setting tables and centerpieces, directing... Read More the band where to go, marshaling the buses bringing in our guests who were staying off-site, and working with our MC to arrange the big introduction when we entered the reception as Mr and Mrs. They were friendly, helpful, efficient and all around wonderful to work with. One of the best decisions we made in planning our wedding, hands down. I think the most praise I can give is this: having The Purple Orchid on our team allowed my husband and I to actually enjoy our wedding day, and for that alone, their help was priceless.

Not a single worry the day of the wedding

Reviewed on 6/26/2014 Sarah M

With Kristina and Clementine there to run day-of coordination for us, I didn't have to worry about anything the day of the wedding. If I had questions or concerns I just had to ask and they would get answered or remedied right away. At one point, I even had some uninvited... Read More visitors as the girls were getting ready in the morning and I said to Kristina, "I don't know if this is part of your job description..." To which she promptly replied, "It can be!" And she kindly asked the guests to return for the scheduled ceremony. What a great attitude! My mom was equally impressed with Kristina's positive attitude and ability to get things done efficiently and beautifully. She was exactly what we hoped she would be when we hired her as our day-of coordinator.

Kristina of the Purple Orchid Event Planning was awesome!!

Reviewed on 11/13/2013 Ashley D

I just wanted to take a minute to write a review about my wedding planner. I know when i was first starting to look for a wedding planner i was overwhelmed with who to chose. However the minute i met Kristina in a coffee shop in Portland, i knew immediately she was the right fit... Read More for me and my fiance. She was down to earth, friendly and seemed very knowledgeable about planning a wedding. Throughout the process we continued to email back and forth, and every time she immediately responded back quickly. This was so helpful especially since i was planning a maine wedding from California. Kristina kept me informed and on track throughout the year and when the wedding day came she exceeded my expectations. She followed all of the directions i had left her, and executed my "vision" perfectly. She was great the day of the wedding and kept everything moving seamlessly. I dont know what me and my parents would have done without her! I didnt have to think about any of the details on my wedding day and instead could spend time with my new husband, friends and family! i cant thank you enough for all your hard work kristina, and i hope you have many more successful weddings in the future! ashley and isaac little

Purple Orchid-The Wedding Must!

Reviewed on 10/14/2013 beth b

Kristina doesn't even belong on these charts-she is so incredible that 5 stars is not enough! Working with Kristina is like working with your best friend, if your best friend is extremely detail oriented, has great vendor contacts and makes it look like everything comes together... Read More with ease! Having done a fair amount of the planning and decor myself, I know it is NOT the case, but she made it look effortless AND her complete control of the timeline, the vendor parties and the in-house parties made it possible for me to enjoy the day without a single care. She was able to recommend vendors and find me the perfect ones for me when some didn't fit (who knew finding an officiant that meshed would be so hard?); she negotiated great rates with the vendors we picked and dealt with the unexpected last minute issues (extra charge for the agreed upon outside bar-sorted with finesse, one of the rented buses gets hit by a car? no problem, replacement on its way without any disruption to guests) with humor and speed. There are so many details that go into making a wedding amazing, and most are really fun to deal with, but Kristina deals with those that aren't fun (and the personalities that aren't fun) with grace and efficiency-I cannot possibly recommend her highly enough -other than to say HIRE HER, HIRE HER, HIRE HER. She is amazing and will bring her energy and expertise to create a wonderful day for you. I am going to have to come up with a party just to work with her again soon!