American, French, Italian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Fusion, Seafood

7504f472 fbdf 4115 a317 0a8fdec1b4a5~rs 100
E1eec2fa 862e 440c a4af 88efcd21e112~rs 100

7425 South Harl Avenue, Tempe, AZ (480) 730-1114

Reviewed on 11/12/2017 Michelle M

These caterers are amazing! I worked with Mimi through the whole wedding planning and she was very responsive and always willing to make changes to fit my needs. I definitely recommend doing a tasting to help you choose what you want. I thought the food tasted great for the... Read More price and loved all the appetizer options. On the day of, mimi was very attentative always checking on my husband and I to make sure we had what we needed. Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 9/26/2016 Kara F

We are so happy Special Moments could be the caterer for our dinner reception at Lavender and Old Lace in February 2016. They created a delicious menu for us with a variety of salads, entrées, sides and desserts. The food was delicious, and many of our guests said the food was... Read More the best they had ever had at a wedding. We appreciated how Brad and Mimi were very organized and everything for our dinner reception went smoothly. At the end of the night, they gave my husband and I a plate of snacks which included a variety of cheeses, grapes and chocolate dipped strawberries, one which was decorated as a wedding dress and the other as a tux! We highly recommend Special Moments Catering to other couples!

Excellent service, excellent food, excellent price!

Reviewed on 5/21/2015

I used Special Moments for my wedding on May 2nd and I can't say enough amazing things about them. From the start, their service was top-notch. They were quick to respond to all of my emails, they were happy to set up a tasting with us (Which was both fun and tasty! We got to... Read More sit at a fancy table in the kitchen and meet the chef!) and they quickly sent over an invoice for us to review everything. We gave them our budget up front and they never tried to push us over that budget and did everything to create the very best value for our 200-guest wedding, even helping us find areas where we could save money. I thought we knew what we wanted on our menu, but after going to our tasting, we came home with even more wonderful options and ideas! (Side note: the homemade meatballs and rosemary cheddar bread are AMAZING!) We opted for a very affordable Italian buffet which we decided was filling, would appeal to a large crowd and left more room in our budget for appetizers, which we loved at our tasting. We received numerous compliments on the food during the night and in the few weeks after the event.(Their staff also packed us up a box to take with us to the hotel that night AND packed up leftovers for our family to take home for a party we were hosting the next day!) The service was perfect. They set up the tables just how my little OCD self wanted them set up. And they never gave me a hard time when I called them to explain exactly how I wanted each place setting to look (crazy bride alert!). One thing that I thought was really nice was that they brought out a platter of appetizers for my new husband and I to snack on while we were taking pictures during the cocktail hour since we weren't going to get to try the apps otherwise! Then during the reception, they served us at our table (even though it was a buffet dinner) so that we could relax and actually take a minute to eat. They got us drinks and even brought me extra meatballs! For the sake of full disclosure, I actually work in the wedding and event industry, so I have worked with many vendors in the industry in the past, including many caterers. I've used Special Moments for corporate events and recommended them for weddings that I have assisted with...but it's a whole different ballgame when it's actually your own wedding. I knew of 50+ caterers to choose from in the industry, and based on my experience with them as a company and their reputation, I chose Special Moments when it came to my own wedding. But seeing things from the perspective of a bride, I had a much more critical perspective and I actually experienced things from the customer side. And as a bride, I can honestly say that I think Special Moments is the best in the biz. I am so glad that I chose them to cater my wedding! Their customer service is top-notch. You get a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to food. And you can't beat their attention to detail. (They even matched the buffet decor to our wedding theme and colors!) I have nothing but good things to say about Special Moments as a company, about their food, about their value, and about their service. As a bride, I can honestly say I think they are the best in the biz.

Great service and food

Reviewed on 4/14/2015 Shelby B

Special moments catering did an amazing job setting up and the food was amazing. Not that my husband or myself got to eat any lol but all of our guests said it was very good! They also set up the dessert table and cocktail hour beautifully.

Huge Disappointment!!

Reviewed on 11/11/2014 Brianne B

We had to go with Special Moments as the caterer for my daughters wedding because they were the venue's only choice. I am extremely disappointed in the quality of food and service provided by this vendor. The ranch dressing served at the cocktail hour looked like water and... Read More had no flavor at all. We specifically asked for all the veggies that were not eaten to be bagged and saved for us to take with, but they were thrown out instead. What a waste! The salads were plated, and there was suppose to be dressing boats on each table. There weren't any to be found. The salads had very little if any dressing on them. I couldn't find any wait staff to help me. The bread basket was suppose to have garlic cheesy rolls and dinner rolls. There was one garlic cheesy roll per basket, all the other rolls in there were the regular dinner rolls you can buy at Fry's for a dollar a dozen, and not fresh. The entrees were disgusting. They did not remotely resemble what we taste tested in their kitchen. The beef and chicken dishes were an unappetizing color with little to no sauce to them (the sauce was the best part when we taste tested!). Several of my guests stated that the beef entree was served cold! I was appalled and ended up apologizing to my guests the entire night for the cold food. The garlic mashed potatoes were delicious, however about a 1/3 of my guests didn't even get to try them because they ran out. We had at least 10 people that we know of that didn't show up, and Michelle guaranteed me that they always make about 5% more food then needed. We had a vegetarian option available that was suppose to be vegetable lasagna in a red sauce. What they served was buttered noodles with very little vegetables instead. This was extremely disappointing to me. Michelle (owner) did not say one word to me about this that afternoon while we were setting up the venue. (Later I learned that the chef didn't like the way the lasagna noodles turned out). Really? Even I can cook lasagna noodles and I never went to culinary school! My guests and I waited so long for the vegetarian option (server took about 10 minutes to bring it to the buffet table) that the rest of our food was cold when we finally sat down. My niece and nephew had to share a plate of the pasta because they only brought out one plate and they were tired of waiting. Again, had to apologize for the inconvenience and sub par food! Embarrassing! Some of the reviews I read for Special Moments were good. They supposedly received the 'Best of the Knot" in 2012. I don't know if they switched chefs since then, but I can not recommend this caterer to anyone I know (or care about). I learned that there is no recourse for the sub par quality or service. You have to pay in full prior to the event, so you are really at their mercy that things will go right. When things don't live up to expectations, the only thing I can do is write a honest review. And that is what I did. PS, my wedding coordinator would't tell me about the other things that went wrong with the catering (she was trying to spare me the agony because I have a heart condition! ) so this is only the stuff that I actually know about and experienced myself! For the money, you are better off getting a restaurant to cater your event. Save a ton of money and have better quality!! It was $8500 just in catering costs.

Delicious & fantastic!

Reviewed on 1/23/2014 Laura R

We were very happy with the service provided by Special Moments catering! Michelle was our contact and she was very patient with all of our questions, and also very flexible. The tasting was SO fun and there were lots of great options. We chose to do a buffet with Chicken... Read More Marsala and Cranberry Stuffed Pork. Both were great, especially the pork! We received so many compliments from our guests on the food, which made us very happy. Would use them again if ever I needed to have an event catered. Fairly priced, too!

Reviewed on 3/21/2012 Andrea C

Special Moments has great food, great service and a fantastic attitued at working with (crazy) brides!! They provided us with two antipasto trays for when we were at our venue getting ready - and they tasted amazing. Our appetizers were served right on time during cocktail hour.... Read More Our salads were already plated when we all came into the reception, and they plated my meal and my husbands so we would have time to eat while everyone else went through the buffet line. They worked with our schedule and service was seamless... I didn't even realize they were there - which is a good thing! I definitely recommend using Special Moments!

Good food but...

Reviewed on 10/06/2011 Liz S

The catering was included in our wedding package, but the choices we had were not very good, so we decided to upgrade our entrees. As far as the food goes, it was good. Everyone liked it and had plenty to eat. We had absolutely no problem with the food taste/texture/etc.... Read More whatsoever. That said, we had a huge problem with getting the sales manager, Brad, to communicate with us. He took weeks to return phone calls/emails and it took TWO MONTHS from our initial tasting to do the tasting for our upgraded options so we could choose our menu, all because Brad would not communicate with us. We ended up having to deal with the manager because we couldn't get ahold of him. If the caterer hadn't come with the venue and therefore at a good price, we would have found someone else for the sole reason that we couldn't contact them. They also never told us when the balance was due and instead called us the week before the wedding asking us when we were going to pay. They do offer a kid's meal option but I strongly suggest against it. They describe it as "chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese and a fruit cup" What we got were microwaved nuggets that were rock-hard, dried out kraft mac & cheese and a prepackaged fruit bowl. At least we weren't charged extra for them (but almost were, make sure you go over your invoices meticulously). Overall, the food was good but the complete lack of professionalism and customer service almost made it not worth the trouble.

Food was GREAT

Reviewed on 3/15/2011 Jenna D

We loved this caterer, they brought us in and let us try the food before hand. Although our set up was not traditional, because our hall did all the service, they were fabulous and professional.

Huge portions

Reviewed on 1/20/2011 Kelly R

Special moments provided huge portions for my buffet dinner and we had plenty of food for everyone - even seconds!

Delicious and a great value!

Reviewed on 12/11/2010 Christen B

We worked with Brad at Special Moments and truly felt we were given 5 star service and food at incredible prices. He helped so much in creating a perfect menu for our wedding. We had prime rib and salmon at our reception which normally you would expect to be over cooked. They... Read More both came out perfectly! We had several people tell me it was the best food they've ever had at a wedding! The staff that served the food were professional and kind, we really appreciated everything that they did!

Best Wedding Food EVER!!!

Reviewed on 11/04/2010 Shannon N

All my guests went on and on about how great the food was and how much food they got! We got the salad and lasagna and it was awesome! The waiters were so nice and efficient, and the company payed close attention to details! Awesome experience all around!

Special Moments was GREAT!

Reviewed on 8/09/2010 Nicole C

We used Special Moments as our caterer for our wedding! They did an amazing job! Every detail was thought about and staff was wonderful...especially Diane, who was always there whenever I had question or wanted to alter something. The food was incredible and price was great... Read More too!! Thanks!!!

Happy Customer

Reviewed on 6/29/2010 Kali H

Special Moments Catering and Events did an exceptional job catering my wedding. No detail was overlooked. The food and service were great, and the pricing was extremely reasonable. I definitely recommend Special Moments to anyone needing an event catered. You will not be... Read More disappointed.