Shutters on the Beach

Santa Monica, CA

Capacity: 201-250 PHONE

Book Your Wedding with Shutters on the Beach

A BALLROOM IN SANTA MONICA, CA

Couples seeking a beach wedding venue can delight in Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica, California. This flexible venue has both indoor and outdoor spaces for a reception or ceremony. Shutters on the Beach is a breathtaking seaside space with classic elements and elegant craftsmanship that complements any event. Couples can say their vows with tranquil, rolling waves as the backdrop and impress guests with the ocean views and stately décor as they celebrate the wedding day. Shutters on the Beach can accommodate both large and intimate gatherings.

Grand Salon. The grand salon is adorned with elegant crystal chandeliers and artfully crafted tray-style ceilings. This space can be used for the ceremony, the reception or both, and it adds a wonderfully romantic feel to either event. Mirror accents in the grand salon create a dazzling effect as they reflect the chic color scheme of creams and tans. This space can accommodate up to 380 guests for a ceremony and 400 for a reception.

Promenade. A fresh, seaside style experience awaits couples in the promenade. Classic wainscoting and modern lighting combine in this space to make a sophisticated statement. The promenade can seat up to 140 people for a ceremony and 150 for a reception.

Beachside. This charming space is ideal for intimate wedding gatherings. This venue can pair well with many different color schemes, and the large windows in the beachside space open up to bathe the room in natural light. This space can seat 60 guests for a ceremony and 100 for a reception.

Pacific Terrace. This gorgeous outdoor space is full of possibilities. Whether couples choose this space for their ceremony or reception, guests can enjoy the panoramic ocean view and calming lapping of the waves. Lush greenery and palm trees accent this peaceful venue waiting to highlight a couple's personal style. The Pacific terrace can accommodate up to 200 people for a ceremony and 250 for a reception.

The event professionals and staff at Shutters on the Beach are dedicated to helping to-be-weds have the wedding experience they desire. Each booked wedding is appointed a catering service manager to see a couple through each of the wedding planning phases.

Couples and their guests can enjoy a wonderful culinary experience; Shutters on the Beach offers wedding packages to make planning the meal stress-free. Hosted bar packages are also available. No outside food and beverages are permitted, however.

A professional wedding planner is required to book a wedding at Shutters on the Beach, and interested couples can contract a day-of-event wedding planner from an approved list of wedding professionals. Two hours are allotted for venue setup for weekend events, and one hour is reserved for weekday events. Shutters on the Beach can provide referrals for floral and event designers. Confetti, rice, sparklers and streamers are prohibited.

In addition to the gorgeous setting and peaceful atmosphere surrounding Shutters on the Beach, several perks are included.

• Cashmere throws in rooms
  • Multilingual staff
  • Same-day laundry and dry-cleaning services
  • Health club with full-service spa
  • Beach Center offers bicycle rentals, volleyball, and surfing lessons
  • Yoga classes on the beach

$$$$ – Expensive

Ballroom, Waterfront, Beach, Hotel

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100

One Pico Blvd, Santa Monica, CA (310) 587-1705

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Larissa B

Our experience with Shutters on the Beach was amazing!! We had our ceremony and reception there on September 24th, 2016, and we couldn't ask for a better place to have our wedding. Bruce Hochberger, the Associate Director of Catering, and Alessandra Apoian, Event Service... Read More Manager, were extremely friendly and helpful from the very first day we got in touch with them until the big day. During the months preceding the wedding we had several minor questions related to food, drinks, servers, cocktail, the price of each of these things, extra charges, among others, and Alessandra was always there to answer each of them. The week before the wedding we had to rearrange our banquet estimate and she did every single change we asked to make sure we had what we wanted. She schedule the rehearsal for the day before the wedding in the same room we would have the ceremony which was very good so our families were we able to see how the ceremony was going to happen. And on the big day everything was perfect!! We did not have anything to worry about. The best part of having our wedding there was the ocean view. All our guest were amazed with the scenery! The pictures were perfect! We were very pleased we had our wedding at Shutters on the Beach and we highly recommend this venue.

Reviewed on 8/17/2016 Kat K

I am shocked to see anything less than 5 stars for this FANTASTIC and magical place. We were married at Shutters on August 5, 2016. Everything was PERFECT! We had the BEST coordinators, Lee-Andra and Bruce are truly phenomenal to work with. They seriously went above and beyond... Read More to make sure our wedding was spectacular in every way!! The food is AMAZING and the setting can not be beat. Shutters is the most romantic and beautiful place for a beach wedding.

Read this before you sign any contract!

Reviewed on 2/16/2015 sezen b

Shutters just wants your money. They have no intension of giving you any kind of service. We got married this past January at Shutters. Since I am limited in the amount I can type I will give the shortest version possible. We started with one coordinator at Shutters who... Read More repeatedly insulted me and my decision on hiring our wedding planner. She must have either quit or got fired because we were switched to another coordinator. This one wasn't any better. After forwarding countless emails from the previous coordinator we met with the new one in Sept 2014 on our last scout trip. At this point all deposits were given, date is set in stone. We just needed finalize our appetizers and first course. Upon our arrival for the food tasting our Shutters coordinator dropped the ball in securing our reservation, so we waited 45 minutes for the chef to rush out our order. Needless to say that the risotto was undercooked, the filet mignon was mushy, and chicken was dry. We were assured that our our wedding day this sort of thing would not happen. What did happen on our wedding day was much worse. Our wedding planner and us were very concerned about starting the ceremony at 5:30pm because it would have been dark at that point. After my wedding planner and Shutters coordinator got into a screaming match we ended up paying for an additional cash bar on top of the premium open bar that was already paid for since we started 30 minutes before. Also Shutters does not offer a suite for the bride or groom to get ready. While they give you a nights stay(just kidding its part of your contract) on your wedding day they do not release this room until 4pm, and your wedding ceremony starts at 5pm. Two weeks before our wedding our Shutters coordinator gave us the option of having a rehearsal. We, me and majority of my guest are from the East Coast. All flight at this point were purchased, all hotels booked and paid for. Imagine our frustration in asking our wedding party to possibly move their arrival date from Friday to Thursday since we were given such short notice for a rehearsal. Having emailed our Shutters coordinator our frustration she merely just apologized and said that she wouldn't be able to do anything else. After the wedding, my new husband and I thought everything was done and we were finished with Shutters. We were emailed with more bills that some how were not satisfied. These emails were all from people at Shutters that we never dealt with. Our final correspondences was probably the most disturbing. The woman we were dealing with emails us with a very detailed personal issue she had. I have more class then she does so I will not disclose her personal information. This email was very unprofessional and I think unethical. When I say the name Shutters to anyone, I see their eyes light up. When I finish telling them my ordeal. I see their faces in disgust, that an place such as Shutters can treat people so poorly, charge their credit cards without authorization and get away with it. If you have a budget and want to get married on the beach there are loads of other places that will not ripe you off the way Shutters did to us. Don't wait till after the wedding to complain about their lack of service or unprofessionalism. I would not recommend having dinner at Shutters let alone your wedding. I am glad I am married. I loved my wedding dress. I loved the florist, bakery, DJ, photographer, wedding planner. But my biggest regret is having it at Shutters

Not Worth the Money

Reviewed on 7/11/2014 Emily K

The hotel was very difficult to deal with for my guests to get reservations. The service at the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. We had our rehersal dinner at Hotel Bel-Air and their service was impeccable. If I could go back, I would have my wedding at the Hotel Bel-Air and... Read More not at Shutters. Shutters was a complete waste of money. I was very unhappy with my weddding there and would not recommend it to anyone.

A magical place to get married

Reviewed on 11/04/2013 Tracy W

I recently got married at Shutters and I couldnt be happier with my experience. From the day we signed the initial contract all the way through until the DJ going home on our wedding night, things were perfect. Bruce was the BEST. He was so helpful and answered questions at... Read More all hours and very rapidly. He had great suggestions for me for ideas and vendors and was receptive to feedback. The staff the day of was incredible. Every guest felt so special and well taken care of. They didnt miss a beat the entire night. The speed of service for food and drinks was perfect, everything was very clean, and they were so friendly and helpful. This was a great venue choice! And the amazing view doesnt hurt.

The view is breathtaking and so is the food.

Reviewed on 7/23/2013 Danielle S

The venue was breathtaking, the food delicious. Before the wedding, staff did a pretty good job getting back to us in a reasonable amount of time (a day or two if the longest). However, we were not notified when the catering manger we were working with left to work in San Diego,... Read More not even an email, until we called the office about another matter. Also, the waitstaff was very minimal, less than expected. On the day of, when I needed to speak to someone in charge while dinner was being served, besides my day of coordinator, there was no such person around, only two waitstaff people. We also asked to have my meal & my groom's meal wrapped up & brought to our room (so we would have it later on) and it wasn't there. As the bride, I had to go up to the bar myself to get drinks. Also, no one told us that we needed to get the top tier of our cake from their kitchen's fridge before we checked out the next day so we needed to make an extra trip to the venue the next day to pick it up (which was headed to us on a plate until we asked for a box for it)

Gorgeous venue!

Reviewed on 4/22/2013 Kelly C

We loved it here! Bruce was a huge help and the awesome thing about Shutters is that the pricing is all in. Ceremony site, dinner, etc. No weird added charges for a cake or a dance floor.

Shutters / One Pico

Reviewed on 7/09/2012 joanna m

Stunning location on the terrace for the ceremony, followed by cocktails. We then had our reception in One Pico Retaurant. All together the organisation was great, a few disappointing hitches on the day regarding the layout of the main table though. Also the size of the main... Read More courses were considerably smaller than the trial. The passed apps during cocktail hour were excellent. Otherwise, fantastic venue, made for an extremely elegant wedding. Would reccommend

Awesome for an elegant, intimate beach wedding

Reviewed on 6/29/2012 Nikki F

Shutters on the Beach was an amazing and beautiful place for our beach wedding and reception. We had our ceremony on the beach and then had our reception in the Oceanside/Beachside rooms. The rooms are beautiful with beach front views. We looked at a lot of places and this was... Read More by far the best location for an intimate wedding like ours (we had about 30 guests). It may seem pricey per person, but keep in mind that the price includes the ceremony on the beach with chairs, the reception rooms (1 for cocktail hour, adjoining room for the reception), dinner service with 2 entree choices (the food was amazing- especially the halibut), choice of 6 passed hors d'oeuvres, 5 hour premium open bar, cake from a choice of 4 vendors (we went with Vanilla Bake Shop- so amazing!), valet, and an oceanfront suite for the bride and groom the night of the wedding. Simply amazing! Oh, and Toby Lent is awesome! I would highly recommend Shutters on the Beach for any bride who wants an elegant and beautiful beach wedding.

Beautiful location

Reviewed on 5/08/2012 Vanessa R

I had my ceremony on the pool terrace and reception in the ballroom and both were to die for! Looking back at photos I can't believe how beautiful it all was. The only downside is the lack of personal service. This is a large hotel that churns out events every weekend, so don't... Read More expect and personal attention!

Beautiful

Reviewed on 10/10/2011 Melissa E

Shutters is a gorgeous venue to get married. The ceremony was outside on the terrace looking over the ocean as the sunset. 'Cocktail hour' was a bit rushed and they didn't have any appetizers set aside for the bride and groom. There was a drop in communication between the day... Read More of coordinator and banquet captain/servers. Shutters did make good in the long run. The ballroom was gorgeous and there are no words for how gorgeous the bridal suite was!

Wonderful setting!

Reviewed on 9/05/2011 Jessica T

Amazing setting. Impressive, romantic, and unique! Michael is the best! He put up with a lot of horrid behavior from someone in the wedding party, and I salute him and his professionalism!

Amazing Location

Reviewed on 11/11/2010 Stacy F

I had always wanted a beach wedding. When I started looking at locations that were on the beach or had a view of the ocean, there were only a few that had great food, great service AND the view. I never wanted to have my wedding at a hotel but after meeting Bruce Hochberger,... Read More Associate Director of Catering, I was 110% confident that this was going to be the right place. We actually had our ceremony on the terrace overlooking the beach and it could not have been more beautiful. The staff was beyond friendly and we got rave reviews from our guests who loved the hors'dourves! We could not have been happier. We will definitely host another event there, maybe for our first wedding anniversary.

Rating for Shutters on the Beach