classic style..modern edge

My photography is straight forward. no photoshop gimmicks or cheesy poses. I let the day unfold and capture great images of you, your family and guests. The setting you get married in is important to you and its one of the things I like to capture when photographing your wedding.

Documentary, Lifestyle

Engagement

Photo + Video

8225-2 Trillium Ct., Charlevoix, MI michigan and beyond (917) 826-6161

Reviewed on 7/20/2017 Colleen S

We got married at the Perry Hotel in May and had Chris and LeAnn as our photographers. They did an awesome job! They captured so many amazing moments; from our first look to our guests making special memories of their own at the reception. We love the way everything turned out!... Read More Chris is very professional, personable, and overall a great person to work with. His style was perfect for our wedding and I would highly suggest him!

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 Trent L

Chris is the man! Its was such a pleasure to work with Chris and his team. I knew right from the get go that Chris was the right guy for the job. He's laid back yet super professional and responsive. Just breeze through some of his portfolio and you will quickly see his style is... Read More unique yet classic and simple. I thought it was cool, in the midst of wedding day madness chris pulled us aside to drive us around the park and get some pics of just Jess and I. Those pics are the best of the day! And it was really nice to spend some time alone with my bride. Not only did chris and the team crush it on the photos but he put together and really sweet video / silideshow with a personal touch of letting us pick the tunes we wanted to go along with the video. We leaned on chris for his guidance and expertise when it came to the day of the wedding. He made things much easier for us on the day of the event which created a stress free environment for Jess and I. All and all we have nothing but good things to say about chris and his team. So holla at him today and get another thing crossed off wedding to do list

Reviewed on 8/09/2016

Words do not do justice the work that Chris and LeAnn do. From the very get go, we felt extremely comfortable meeting with Chris. Chris and LeAnn are both the perfect blend of fun to work with, while still showing a sincere professionalism and passion about what they do. We were... Read More blown away by our engagement photos, and the ideas that Chris and LeAnn had with regards to setting, lighting, unique venues, etc. Chris stayed in touch without us throughout the year, and working together on our wedding day was working with more than a vendor. Chris and LeAnn truly value the service they provide, but also the experience their clients go through on their special day. If we wanted it, Chris and LeAnn made it happen. If Chris and LeAnn had an idea (and they did frequently thankfully!), they knew how to communicate those in a way that would make us feel like it was the best decision for what we wanted. Chris and LeAnn both spend a real amount of time getting to know their couples, their interests, and what they are looking for. We watch our slideshow so often it's embarrassing to admit, we just got our flash drive of pictures and are blown away, and we thank our lucky stars every day for what Chris and LeAnn did for us. While we really enjoy our posed and planned pictures, the amount of real and raw candid shots that they were able to get throughout our day are so beautiful to have and relive. Our family and friends have been reaching out to us non-stop raving about our pictures, especially friends who have been married recently and gone through this same experience. We recommend Chris Van Winkle photography for your special day, or any family event. We will have these special moments forever, and Chris and LeAnn deserve all of the credit for that. Thank you Chris and LeAnn!

Reviewed on 10/13/2017 Leigh T

Only positive things to say about Chris and LeAnn! Communication with Chris was effortless, efficient, and reliable. Chris and LeAnn’s laid-back and fun shooting style helped in making our wedding day stress-free. We are so pleased with all our wedding photos and we appreciate... Read More the variety of both candid and formal photos. Thanks Chris and LeAnn for capturing our day so perfectly!

Reviewed on 10/11/2017

We had a wonderful experience with Chris and LeAnn! We initially met Chris for our engagement photos which turned out beautiful at the Mackinaw City and Mackinac Bridge. The water and harbor pictures were gorgeous! Our wedding was at the Cross in the Woods in Indian River and... Read More Perry Hotel in Petoskey. He captured perfectly the church and it’s natural surroundings. He knew all the great spots around the town!! All the photos came out Beautifully!, And everyone enjoyed our photo slideshow which was very elegant, creative and well-done! Chris is very easy to work with, nice person. He is very professional, responded very promptly to all the emails, very helpful with suggestions and the entire planning process…. He made things less stressful. I felt very confident with Chris. I highly recommend Chris and his team!

Reviewed on 10/10/2017 Mackenzie T

Chris Van Winkle was great to work with. Professional, good ideas, open to suggestions, organized, super nice, super cool, easy going, and over all easy to work with. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Holly G

Chris was awesome to work with and really made us feel at easy during our photos. He did not have us do any awkward poses and just had us pose naturally and the photos all turned out amazing. He was amazingly quick on getting our photos back and was also very reasonably... Read More priced. Would certainly recommend his services!

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Vinny M

Chris and LeaAnn were absolutely amazing. We were married at the Inn at Stonecliffe on Mackinac Island. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. It was their sincerity that made the day even more relaxing. That isn't even including how much FUN they are. The... Read More photographs they took were absolutely amazing and everyone was so impressed. Upon initial contact Chris was very responsive and helpful with any questions we had. He was able to build upon our ideas of what kind of pictures we would like taken. It was the perfect photographer for the perfect day. Highly recommended.

Reviewed on 10/04/2017 Gabrielle L

Chris was amazing! He is detailed, organized, and was the best decision I made for my Castle Farms Wedding. Chris even brought a bonus photographer to the wedding (we had 3 total!) and made sure we had the shots we needed, got amazing candid shots, and even facilitated a lot of... Read More fun on the day of the wedding.

Reviewed on 10/04/2017 Amy

Chris and his assistant were just simply amazing! From the moment I contacted him regarding our wedding, I knew he was the perfect fit for us. Chris was professional from day one, his responses were very quick, he was patient and helpful throughout the planning process. The day... Read More of the wedding, where do I began?!? Chris and LeAnn were professional, kind, creative, funny, intuitive and most of all...put all of us at ease. Dan and I never worried, never doubted. Chris and LeAnn were incredibly creative with our day, never over posed and just captured our day as it was...perfect. We had so much fun (soo much!) with the two of them that day, like they were one of our friends...yet always remained patient and professional. Our wedding was at the Perry Hotel in Petoskey and he knew of all the right places to go. Our pictures and slideshow were perfect. I can not recommend Chris VanWinkle Photography enough!!

Reviewed on 9/12/2017 Melissa W

My husband and I enjoyed our experience with Chris and his team. We loved all the moments they captured at our wedding that expressed our life style and no cheesy poses.

Reviewed on 9/11/2017 Brenna M

Chris and LeaAnn.....exceeded our photography expectations by a mile! Chris' creativity with photographing our wedding party, Church/reception venues, and family formals truly made our pictures unique to us and our day. Chris and LeaAnn were also considerably laid back, which... Read More helped eased the inevitable tensions of the day, while they both also knew when to step up and guide our friends/family into photo-ready positions. I can't say enough about how unbelievably pleased we are with our pictures. I can honestly say there wasn't a bad one in the bunch! Plus, the photo slide-show that Chris made....literally brought me to tears. He did a fantastic job of capturing both the important moments and the casual moments that I might have forgotten otherwise. Chris' initial promptness in responding during our "feeling-out-process" of photographers was also an attribute that seemed rare to come by. His professionalism, creativity, cool demeanor, and overall charming personality are all qualities that have been commented on frequently by family/friends, after having watched him work on our big day. I am SO happy that we found him and I can say with confidence that, through his photos, he captured our beautiful fairy tale like no other photographer would have been able to. Chris is truly the best.

Reviewed on 8/22/2017 Karen P

We knew Chris had abilities from perusing his website. I also follow his Facebook site and was struck by the honest humanity in his photos from all over the world. We were very excited for him to be my daughter's wedding photographer. We were not disappointed, and in fact, we... Read More are absolutely elated! One morning I awoke a bit "blah." When I discovered the wedding slideshow was ready (In addition to hundreds and hundreds of pics), my heart overflowed with joy - it totally made my day. I was amazed by the quality of and honesty in each photo. I have watched multiple times now; the pure joy Chris captured in the faces of both families is just outstanding. He gets the perfect shots - both posed and candid! There are lots of photos - it took me the better part of an hour just to scan them! I have a wall where we have framed pics of our 4 kids and their spouses. It is going to be very hard to choose this youngest daughter's perfect wedding pic because they are all wonderful. I would recommend Chris Van Winkle Photography for any type of memories you need to create. He and his assistant were easy going and fun to be around. They helped make this wedding even more memorable. As an aside, I dislike all pictures of me. I liked every single one he took, so that in itself is very unique. I can hardly wait until he starts photographing our grand-babies. :)

Reviewed on 8/02/2017 Kajsa C

We got married in May in Traverse City and Chris was our photographer. He was amazing! We planned our wedding from out of state and Chris was so easy to work with. He always emailed back promptly with any questions we had and his easy going attitude made things nice and... Read More relaxed for us. Our pictures turned out so beautiful, we couldn't be any more pleased. Our special day was captured in the perfect way and the editing was wonderful. Chris and LeAnn captured every moment from getting ready all the way through the reception. I would highly recommend them!

Reviewed on 7/25/2017 Nicole B

We were absolutely ecstatic with the work of Chris Van Winkle Photography! He photographed our engagement session and our wedding. He was so relaxed and a breath of fresh air when everything around us was all hustle and bustle! Chris encouraged us to be ourselves and it really... Read More showed in our photos. It was fun to work with him and we would recommend him to anyone that asked! Many of our wedding guests told us what a great guy he was throughout the day. He's quick to respond with any questions or concerns you may have, which is always nice during the wedding planning process. We have beautiful pictures of every little detail of our wedding. Some of which we didn't even get to see the day of our wedding because it flew by so fast! Mike and I are grateful for his patience and good sense of humor. We now have memories to look back on that will last us a lifetime! Thank you Chris!

Reviewed on 7/23/2017 Susan R

Chris & Leeann did a fabulous job at my daughters wedding . The wedding was in Onaway on Blacklake . The photos are amazing & I love how they caught the perfect moments & when people weren't looking !! I can't thank them enough for the wonderful job they did. So friendly &... Read More professional . I HIGHLY encourage you to hire Chris Van Winkle Photography for your wedding ......thank you so very very much Chris & Leeann 😘

Reviewed on 7/23/2017 Susan R

Reviewed on 7/06/2017 Erin M

We had a super intimate wedding, and Chris did an amazing job capturing the entire day. He captured those sweet special moments, the silly moments and everything inbetween. And he was an absolute please to work with. He ran around the entire property with us as we dashed... Read More around trying to fight the wind and beat the rain. (And let me tell you...those pictures he took with the dramatic skies were beyond incredible...definitely from worthy.) As for during the ceremony...I didn't even know he was there, but he got it from every angle possible. And to top it off, he got the photos back to us super quick, only a couple of weeks after the wedding. We love our photos, and we loved working with Chris. He's definitely a winner! 🙂

Reviewed on 6/20/2017 Jesse I

Chris and LeAnn did a fantastic job capturing our wedding! They were both a pleasure to work with, professional, but also laid back and fun. They truly cared about making our day special! Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.

Reviewed on 12/12/2016 Lauren C

We had the Wedding day that we dreamed of thanks to Chris and Leanne! They captured so much and we will cherish their amazing work for a lifetime! Looking at the pictures makes us feel as if we can relive our most beautiful day ever! Fantastic!

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Trisha B

Chris & LeAnn did a fantastic job. We had the most perfect day and the photos really reflect that. They made everyone feel comfortable and we got some great candid's. My husband and I will be using them in the future for family photos. Thank you!!

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Trisha B

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Kiersten G

Chris Van Winkle and his assistant, LeAnn are absolutely amazing. The patience they both display is extraordinary. There were times during the wedding planning that I was very stressed, but Chris seemed to be there to help ease that stress. Although he was my photographer, he... Read More was also there to help guide me through some tough scheduling decisions. Something I appreciate about Chris Van Winkle photography is that Chris does not over-edit his photos. I often see wedding photos that have been so edited, it is hard to even see what the individuals in the photos actually look like. I wanted my photos to be natural, and that is what I received. Chris offered guidance while allowing me to direct how I wanted myself and my wedding party to pose. I felt that the two of us worked as a wonderful team, and because of that, there were not pictures that I had hoped to have done that were not done. In the end, Chris felt like an old friend or family member that I had known for a long time. He has this electric personality and makes everyone feel comfortable! If I did my wedding over, I would hire him in a heartbeat!

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Laura K

Chris and LeAnn were a great team! They were professional but personable, and knew all the awesome photo spots in town. I highly recommend them!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Samantha C

Chris and LeAnn were amazing to work with! They are so relaxed and outgoing they seem to just fit right in! I was slightly worried about my pictures turning out because it rained almost the entire day but once I got my pictures back I seriously could not be more happy, they... Read More turned out so beautiful and all of my family and friends keep commenting on how great they are! I would recommend Chris and LeAnn any day!

chris van winkle

I am available for weddings in michigan from April thru the end of November . I specialize in wedding, portrait and real estate photography. I started my photography career in 2002 traveling around the world with camera in hand. I realized that capturing images of people was something I really liked to do. Working as a wedding photographers assistant in Northern California I was able to develop my style. After spending 25 years in the fashion industry in New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco, I relocated to Northern Michigan and started my photography business.