The 48 Best Quotes from The Princess Bride Movie
The Princess Bride, Rob Reiner's beloved 1987 fairytale film about a farm boy (Cary Elwes) and his promise to his one true love (Robin Wright), is a modern-day classic, and that's thanks in no small part to the fact that nearly every line spoken is a gem. (Forgetting "inconceivable"? Inconceivable!) From musings on love, true love, to declarations on vengeance ("I am Inigo Montoya…"), to one of the funniest wedding monologues ever captured on film, The Princess Bride boasts some of this generation's the most memorable quotes on love, marriage and more.
People are hard-pressed to stop repeating The Princess Bride quotes on a regular day, but when it comes time for a wedding, you're sure to hear your share of The Princess Bride marriage quotes. That's why The Knot has rounded up the best quotes from The Princess Bride, for all your quoting needs. Whether you're looking for romantic Princess Bride love quotes for your wedding vows or hilarious Princess Bride quotes to win your next nostalgia battle, this is the list that will always come for you, Westley-style.
In this article:
While the movie is called The Princess Bride, Cary Elwes' Westley, also known as the Man in Black, also known as the Dread Pirate Roberts, is the hero of our story, and thus, is the speaker of some of the most famous quotes from The Princess Bride. If you're looking for some of the most memorable Princess Bride love quotes, look at these picks from Westley.
1. As you wish.
2. I will always come for you.
3. This is true love. Think this happens every day?
4. Life is pain!
5. Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
6. Buttercup: We'll never survive!
Westley: Nonsense, you're only saying that because no one ever has.
Buttercup: Westley, what about the R.O.U.S.es?
Westley: Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
[Westley is immediately pounced on by a Rodent of Unusual Size]
Buttercup Princess Bride Quotes
Robin Wright plays the beautiful princess Buttercup, who's heartbroken after learning that her one true love, Westley, was killed at sea—or so she thinks. Her journey involves many a beautiful declaration of love in honor of her lost (and quickly found) soulmate. If you're looking for Princess Bride quotes about enduring love, Buttercup is your source.
7. Farm boy, polish my horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.
8. You can die slowly, cut into a thousand pieces!
9. It comes to this. I love Westley. I always have. I know now, I always will.
10. You can't hurt me. Westley and I are joined by the bonds of love. And you cannot track that, not with a thousand bloodhounds, and you cannot break it, not with a thousand swords. And when I say you are a coward it is only because you are one of the slimiest weaklings ever to walk the Earth!
11. Vizzini: I suppose you think you're brave, don't you?
Buttercup: Only compared to some.
12. Westley: Can you move at all?
Buttercup: Move? You're alive. If you want I can fly.
13. [Buttercup kisses the king]
The King: What was that for?
Buttercup: Because you've always been so kind to me, and I won't be seeing you again, since I'm killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite.
The King: Won't that be nice? She kissed me!
Inigo Montoya Princess Bride Quotes
You don't recognize a pre-Homeland Mandy Patinkin? For shame! His Inigo Montoya, on a restless hunt for the six-fingered murderer of his father, is the proud speaker of what may be the most famous of The Princess Bride quotes: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." But that's not his only quotable line; we have lots more Princess Bride quotes from Inigo!
14. [Referencing Vizzini's use of the word "inconceivable"]
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
15. I don't mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
16. There will be blood tonight!
17. Listen—do you hear? That is the sound of ultimate suffering.
18. Thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it.
19. We need a miracle. It's very important.
20. Let me explain… No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
21. Humiliations galore!
Fezzik, the definition of a big friendly giant, is the group's muscle, but he also happens to be quite funny, thanks to Andre the Giant's impeccable comedic timing. Look to Fezzik for Princess Bride quotes that will keep everyone laughing.
22. I haven't fought one person for so long! I've specialized in groups—battling gangs for local charities, that kind of thing.
23. Vizzini: Finish him, your way!
Fezzik: Oh, good, thank you, Vizzini… What's my way?
Vizzini: Pick up one of those rocks, get behind a boulder. In a few minutes, the Man in Black will come running around the bend. The minute his head is in view, hit it with the rock.
Fezzik: My way's not very sportsman-like.
Wallace Shawn's Vizzini is the brain behind the trio of men who attempt to kidnap Buttercup—not that it saves him in the end! His reaction to his fate? Well, it would probably be his famous Princess Bride quote...
25. Man in Black: You're that smart?
Vizzini: Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Man in Black: Yes?
Prince Humperdinck Princess Bride Quotes
Prince Humperdinck, played by Chris Sarandon, is pure, delicious evil, attempting to force Buttercup to marry him while also plotting her death. "Swamped," much? Prince Humperdinck's unique combination of disgruntled ambition makes his Princess Bride quotes particularly amusing.
26. I always think that everything could be a trap, which is why I'm still alive.
27. She is alive, or was an hour ago. If she is otherwise when I find her, I will be very put out.
28. Tyrone, you know much I love watching you work. But I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped!
We don't condone bullying someone for a speech impediment, but when it comes to Peter Cook's Impressive Clergyman, you can't help but giggle. Both romantic and clueless, he seems blissfully unaware of the fact that he's pronouncing all his Rs and Ls as Ws during what would otherwise be a very serious scene: Prince Humperdinck and Buttercup's dreaded wedding! His character has also shaped the social media game for weddings—when was the last time you attended a wedding and didn't see #mawwiage in a handful of captions? Try these Princess Bride marriage quotes to get your guests laughing.
29. The Impressive Clergyman: Mawwiage. Mawwiage is wat bwings us togeder today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam wifin a dream…
And wuv, twue wuv, will fowwow you foweva…
So tweasure your wuv—
Prince Humperdinck: Skip to the end!
Spoilers ahead! Billy Crystal's Miracle Max enters in the film's last act, and yet, who could possibly forget the bartering magic man? While attempting to bring Westley back to life, Max yaps at his wife and waxes poetic on true love and the joys of fresh mutton. Because, as he says, "You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles." Here are few more of his best Princess Bride quotes.
30. [Miracle Max lifts and drops dead Westley's arm]
I've seen worse.
31. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Now, mostly dead is slightly alive.
32. True love is the greatest thing in the world. Except a nice MLT—a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe!
Peter Falk plays The Grandfather who comes to read his sick grandson a book, and in doing so, also becomes our narrator—and a cheeky one at that. The commentary between him and his grandson, played by Fred Savage, is especially sweet with just a little bit of sass. These Princess Bride quotes are both tender and hilarious, which is exactly why we love this movie.
33. Grandfather: When I was your age, television was called books, and this is a special book.
34. Grandfather: Buttercup was raised on a small farm in the country of Florin. Her favorite pastimes were riding her horse and tormenting the farm boy that worked there. His name was
Westley, but she never called him that. Isn't that a wonderful beginning?
35. Grandfather: Well, who says life is fair? Where is that written? Life isn't always fair.
36. Grandfather: Alright, now let's see, where were we? Oh, yes. In the pit of despair.
37. Grandfather: Since the invention of the kiss, there have been five kisses rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The end.
38. Grandson: They're kissing again. Do we have to hear the kissing part?
Grandfather: Some day, you may not mind so much.
39. Grandson: See, didn't I tell you she'd never marry that rotten Humperdinck?
Grandfather: Yes, you're very smart. Shut up.
40. Grandson: Grandpa, maybe you could come over and read it again to me tomorrow.
Grandfather: As you wish.
41. Grandson: Does it got any sports in it?
Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles. Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
42. Grandson: You mean, he lives? Jesus, Grandpa, what did you read me this thing for?!
Outliers Princess Bride Quotes
Last, but not least, here are our last few favorite lines from The Princess Bride that don't fit quite anywhere, and yet are just as memorable as the rest. These Princess Bride quotes get to the heart of why this movie will remain a classic fairy tale with a sense of humor.
43. Miracle Max: Get back, witch!
Valerie: I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!
44. The King: Strange wedding.
The Queen: Yes, very strange wedding. Come along.
45. Count Rugen: You've got an overdeveloped sense of vengeance. It's going to get you in trouble one of these days.
46. Buttercup: At a time like this, that's all you can think to say? Gently?
47. Prince Humperdinck: First things first. To the death!
Westley: No—to the pain.
48. Inigo Montoya: It's very strange. I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it's over, I don't know what to do with the rest of my life.
Westley: Have you ever considered piracy?