KATHERINE'S BRIDAL BOUTIQUE

ALEXANDRIA, VA

Bridesmaid Dresses, Flower Girl Dresses, Mother of the Bride Dresses, Wedding Dresses, Dresses, Alterations, Dry Cleaning + Preservation, Fashion

3104 DUKE ST, ALEXANDRIA, VA

Reviewed on 3/19/2016

This was the most AMAZING experience ever! I've been to many bridal shops in my area and this is by far the most welcoming and homey feeling you will ever get! They show you dresses YOU feel are best first. Then they gently insert their professional opinion and experiences if... Read More needed. They give you time to be in the dress and get "the feel" for it. Then when you are ready they will take you back in to try on another. I would recommend this bridal bouquet to any and everyone who wants someone that cares about them.

Reviewed on 3/09/2016 Carly B

My sister and I both found our wedding dresses at Katherine's. They have a great selection of dresses under $1500. Unlike some other stores I went to, they really listened to what I wanted and pulled dresses that matched my vision. Overall, a great experience.

Reviewed on 1/31/2016 Chelsea L

Great shop, I felt like there were a lot of options. I found a dressed I loved but it was a little more than I wanted to spend. Otherwise, great shop, definitely worth the trip.

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 Meghan G

Katherine's bridal was great to work with. Katherine along with another sales lady helped me find the perfect dress. The alterations they did were amazing. My experience with them was great and I would recommend shopping there for bridal dresses!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Nicole R

I was really disappointed with my visit to Katherine's. As a plus-size bride, I know many locations do not necessarily carry larger samples to try on, even for dresses that can be ordered in plus-size. Knowing this, I contacted Katherine's in advanced after seeing they were a... Read More retailer for a few designers I liked online. I was assured by Katherine that they carried samples in larger sizes and there would be options for me to try on in store. With that information, I made an appointment. My mom and I arrived right when the store opened for our 11:00am appointment. The consultant did not introduce herself and gave me the standard form to fill out while she continued to listen to voicemails. She asked a couple basic questions on what styles I was interested in, what types of embellishments I liked and if I had tried on dresses before. I told her I was interested in a ball gown or A-line dress, wanted minimal embellishments and would prefer the dress not be tulle. She proceeded to pull a couple gowns off the racks, none of which were close to being plus size or the style I was looking for. I asked her again if there were any plus size samples in the style I was looking for. She then put a plus size dress in the fitting room and told me to try it on and let her know when I'm done. The style of the dress was fit and flare and covered in lace applique, the exact opposite of what I asked for. My mom then reiterated that I was looking for a different style and again asked if there was anything I could try on. She then brought another plus size sample, again in a fit and flare style. She also showed me a tulle ballgown I could "hold up in front of me" to get an idea. When I again explained I did not really like tulle, she suggested covering the dress for more of the lace. Once again the exact opposite of what I told her. It became clear at this point she was not listening to what I wanted. It seemed she did not think we were serious about purchasing a dress that day. She also offered to allow me to look through catalogs to see if there was something to order. We spent a total of 15 minutes at the appointment as it was clear it was going to be a waste of everyone's time. The most frustrating part was that I emailed in advance to determine what samples they had available. Instead the consultant told me such samples simply do not exist. I can understand a store may have less options to try on in person, but I would have they would at least have a few different silhouettes to at least provide some idea of how dresses would fit. Sadly they also carried a line a bridesmaid dresses I liked but I will not be coming back.

Reviewed on 9/23/2015 Meghan G

This place was great! They found the perfect dress for me after I gave them a small description of what I wanted. they were great through the alteration process as well. I highly recommend them!!!

Reviewed on 9/19/2015 Kelsey A

Bought my wedding dress from here. They were amazing and helped me find my dream dress! Would definitely recommend them!!

Reviewed on 9/19/2015

Kathleen was the perfect assist to me finding my beautiful wedding gown and fabulous accessories!! I went to several bridal shops in the area, but their customer service could not compare! She was completely dedicated to me and only me during all of my visits! This type of... Read More commitment is rare and I am more than satisfied with my experiences here. I would recommend this bridal boutique over any other in Alexandria, hands down!!

Reviewed on 9/19/2015

Reviewed on 9/18/2015

Hi I'm Jamie George I just got married memorial day weekend to the love of my life and I bought my fabulous dress from Katherine she was the best she made my dreams come true from my dress to my hair piece she was very kind and patient with her and her whole team is amazing if... Read More your in the area shopping for a dress she's it she's got what you need I promise. Ps love it so much I wanna wear it again thanks so much love you Jamie George xoxo

Reviewed on 9/18/2015 Brooke A

Katherine and her staff were quick to assist and provide honest and helpful feedback. My sisters bridal gown is amazing and the alterations were perfect and custom, up to several days before they made sure her dress fit perfectly. They are very personal in making sure you feel... Read More comfortable! I even brought in my bridesmaid dress from a different shop to have my alterations done. The prices was very competitive and the attention to detail excellent. The dress had many layers of material and each on was pinned for accuracy! Love Katherine's and recommend this to the bride that loves personal attention!

Reviewed on 8/05/2015 Emily F

I had a wonderful experience at Katherine’s Bridal Boutique! They have a large selection of gorgeous dresses, and I found a beautiful gown for under budget. Katherine and her staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. My family drove 9 hours on several different occasions... Read More to attend my dress fittings, and everyone at Katherine’s was very sweet and welcoming. They do alterations there, which was very convenient. My dress took a while to come in, but they were able to fit all of my alterations appointments into the month before my wedding. The alterations went smoothly, the alterations staff was very helpful and nice, and my dress ended up fitting perfectly. I LOVED my dress, and I definitely recommend Katherine’s Bridal Boutique!

Loved Katherine's Bridal

Reviewed on 7/21/2015 Mary M

Katherine's Bridal was the first bridal salon I went to. I tried on 5 dresses and the 5th one was the one! It was very easy and everyone there was extremely helpful. My dress didn't come in until 2 and 1/2 weeks before the wedding (I had a 6 month engagement), but they did the... Read More alterations so quickly and everything was perfect! Definitely would recommend this bridal boutique.

Reviewed on 7/09/2015 Meredith S

Really disappointed....Katherine the owner is great and helpful....and then she passed us on to one of her assistants. I am shocked that I can't remember her name currently but she was pushy and rude to me and my mother. I found a dress I loved but for $2,000 and fittings to... Read More come, there is no way with the way we were disrespected. Pass on them.I wouldn't if I'd

Reviewed on 5/05/2015 Stephanie L

When I began the search for my wedding dress, I decided to look in the DC area as it was a convenient place for my mother, maid of honor and I too meet up. Katherine's ended up being the first stop on our list and I couldn't be happier for how things turned out. True, this... Read More isn't the bridal salon of movies where you will be wooed with champagne and dotted on like a queen, but I felt that all of the staff were very kind, supportive, and made me feel special. I worked primarily with Azam and she did a fabulous job of listening to my interests and concerns. I got engaged in December and due to my medical school/residency schedules, my fiance and I decided on a May wedding. I also had a vague idea of what types of dresses I liked, but really wasn't sure. With such a tight timeline and vague dress interests, I had concerns about being able to find the right gown. Azam listened to my limited knowledge of gowns, my budget (max 1500) and what I thought I liked (mermaid style, lace) and quickly selected some gowns. We found the absolute perfect dress (at 1200) and I couldn't be happier. Initially I was told that the dress (ordered in Jan) would get in for April and then alterations could be done before the big day. I was surprised and excited when Azam called in late February to say the dress was in. Although it is a 4.5 hour trip to the bridal boutique to do fittings, I felt that every fitting was well worth it. I ended up going to a total of three fittings for alterations. At the last fitting I was very pleased with how the dress looked, but a little sad that I would have to travel another 9 hour round trip to pick up my gown. When Azam heard that I was traveling back and forth for fittings, she asked if I could wait two hours and come back to the store. I said I could and when I returned, the team at Katherine's had worked made sure all the sewing was complete, my dress and veil were pressed and everything was ready to bring home! This shop doesn't have a fancy façade or overly glorious interior, but I did feel that the women working there cared about me, the quality of their gowns, and ensuring I had the perfect gown for my big day.

The Perfect Boutique

Reviewed on 3/10/2015 Katie A

Katherine & Kathleen made my wedding dress shopping experience perfect! They helped me find the perfect dress and my family, friends, and I had a great time with them! Great boutique, great dress selection, and great people!

Wonderful Experience

Reviewed on 1/28/2015 Amanda B

Believe me when I say that Katherine's Bridal is a safe place to go to either find your dream wedding gown or have perfect alterations done. I am so surprised to see any negative reviews of this little shop, and can only tell you that I think the selection of gowns is... Read More incredible (especially if you like the vintage look), and that the staff is amazing!! I think the negative feedback may be from run ins with Katherine, the owner, but the staff itself is fantastic. You'll be greeted by friendly faces, and women who really know how to look at your figure and find the right dress, and then give you perfect alterations no matter how many visits it takes to get right. I would recommend them to all my closest friends ( and have!), and absolutely loved my experience.

Horrendous Customer Service

Reviewed on 10/18/2014

DO NOT go to Katherine's Bridal Boutique of Old Town! Worst customer service experience in my life! To those who wish to continue reading my story, it’s lovely; otherwise refer to my last sentence for the summary. I went to pick a bridesmaid dress for my only... Read More brother/sister-in-law's wedding, found one I liked in a size 8. A little tight in the hips, but I could have gotten away with it - I would've been Pippa Middleton status walking down the aisle. Thinking I should probably order a size 10 though, the bridal boutique convinced me that I should order a size 12. I was told I would get a call in about three months when the dress came in. Four months later I got a call - a month after one of the other bridesmaids received a call (how only one could arrive of the group of dresses that were all ordered at the same time, I have no idea, but we’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one). I went in to pick up the dress only to discover that they ordered the wrong style. The boutique initially tried to convince me that I ordered that dress saying, “Katherine has been in the business for 25 years, she never makes mistakes.” As they went to check my order form, I found the sample dress I had tried on and showed them the tag which said “Tulip-49” after I had repeatedly said that was the name of the dress. Upon peaking over their notes to look at the order form, the word “Tulip-49” was written in multiple locations, clearly indicating that was the dress I wanted and ordered. The representatives then tried to backpedal, saying this could be fixed. They never took ownership for their mistake. When I asked if the other bridesmaids had been called, they assured me that yes, they were called yesterday. In a disdainful voice they informed me that normally they “call the bride and she disseminates the information.” Next they claimed they called my sister-in-law and all the bridesmaids. None of this was accurate. No one was called except myself. Checking with bride, ladies, and MOB, I found that none of them received calls or messages indicating the dresses arrived. The shop told me the correct dress would arrive by the end of September, or at the latest, the first weekend in October. The dress didn’t arrive till the second weekend in October, a mere 3 weeks before the wedding. For support I brought the MOB with me. When asked how they were going to compensate me, they said they would do free alterations. After speaking with several representatives (another long story) I was given an estimate between $65-120 for alterations. Preferring to take the dress to my own seamstress, I asked for that amount as a discount on the dress. They said no, that was their deal because they “cannot account for human error.” The only discount they finally gave me was $20 off the $275 dress (for my fellow mathematically challenged friends, that’s not even 10%). Upon bringing the dress to my seamstress, she said the sizing was a disaster and that it was much too large, and going to be extremely difficult to get the bodice to fit properly - I would've been better getting the size 8 or at the largest a 10. Thanks a lot, Katherine’s Boutique, for creating a disaster of an experience for my bridesmaids dress that now will not fit correctly nor look how it’s supposed to; for which you made me over-pay, never apologized, and will forever taint my memory of my only brother and sister-in-law’s wedding day.

Bridesmaid Dress

Reviewed on 9/03/2014

I went to Katherine's Bridal to buy an all white bridesmaid dress that I needed to have special ordered since the collection has not yet been released. This meant I couldn't try it on or even see it before ordering it. I got to try on a dress that is very similar before getting... Read More measured and placing an order. They made the process so simple and stress free. I will definitely be buying from them again!

Good place to go

Reviewed on 8/11/2014 Jeana L

When I first got there, it was packed with people. No one was available to help me. However, when it started to die down, Azam came over to help me. She let my sister-in-law and my mom pick the dresses. I fell in love with the second dress, but she let me try on other dresses... Read More just to make sure I got what I wanted. Since the dress fit perfectly, Azam arranged it so that I got to take the dress home with me at a big discount. She asked me what my price range was and matched it. I love the dress and I loved my experience there. Much better than another place that I went to

Awful service

Reviewed on 7/30/2014 Allison B

I went with my friend who lives locally. She had seen that they had a bunch of designers and dresses she was interested in trying on so we went. Such a disappointment. I had to bite my tongue from not telling the consultant she was doing an awful job. There was another... Read More bride in the store that was getting great service so it was clear to see what this consultant should be doing . Ours did not ask any details about the wedding or location ( other consultant knew all about that brides day). Ours brought in 1 dress for my friend to try on and then let her put it on her self. The consultant had to get a new dress each time versus looking at dresses in dress section with my friend and bringing in a bunch ( like other consultant). In all my friend tried on 3 dresses when there were a ton in the shop that she would have liked to try on had the consultant showed her. The other bride tried on a dress that was really nice and something different than my friend had seen and when we asked about it all she said was it was a designer that makes solely for that shop. So I had to prompt her to tell us if there are other sizes she could try on and what are some other dresses by this designer. She also tried for force my friend purchase a dress she clearly said she didn't want. The consultants name was Shanna. Also a shame because the owner was in the shop as well and if I owned that shop I would have been mortified at how terrible my employee was and how rude she was to a bride that could have potentially spent $2000 there. If you should to request someone than Shanna. They do have a nice selection minus the atrocious customer service.

Great wedding dress experience!

Reviewed on 7/15/2014 Abbey G

Overall, I was very happy with my experience at Katherine's Bridal. The women who helped me(primarily Kathleen and Ana)were very patient and flexible. At the beginning, I was a little uncertain about the dress I had chosen and they let me try it on about 100 times. I would... Read More definitely recommend this wedding shop.

Loved my dress!

Reviewed on 6/11/2014 Julie B

I really loved the dress I purchased at Katherine's. I originally went to the store because they carry Watters dresses, and there was one in particular I was interested in. The sales associate, Azam, was so sweet and helpful. I ended up purchasing a different Watters dress that... Read More she recommended, with a beautiful sash and veil. I couldn't be happier with the dress! However, we had some issues with alterations. I live in California, so I had to plan out my appointments in advance. They kept procrastinating on making any alterations until the last moment. Also, we wanted the sash to be made into a cummerbund so that I could wear it again in the future. The seamstress recommend having the sash angled in the back to mimic the dress. We agreed, but when we went to pick up the dress and sash (two days after the final fitting, and only 3 days before the wedding), the sash had not been angled as discussed! They fixed it while we waited, although we ended up waiting an hour for the change to be made! It was infuriating, because we had discussed this alteration two days previously and did not have the luxury of time. The finished product was okay, but certainly not as polished as I would have liked. I would definitely recommend Katherine's for their selection, but perhaps take the dress somewhere else for alterations.

Wedding Dress Shopping

Reviewed on 5/30/2014 Deb H

Had a fantastic experience at Katherine's! Katherine and her assistants were able to look at my shape and pull some spectacular gowns for me to try. Within a short amount of time I was debating between two different "keepers!" The quality of both gowns were beyond expectations... Read More and the prices right. I would highly recommend this shop to anyone who is looking for variety, quality, and good customer service. Debra H.

Do Not Spend Money Here

Reviewed on 4/13/2014 Jesse R

I would not recommend this boutique to anyone. We made an appointment here because they were one of the few stores in the area that carried a particular dress style and designer we found online, but I'd give anything to have spent money elsewhere. We weren't greeted when we... Read More went in, despite having an appointment, but we figured it was just typical DC area snobbery. I was taken to a back room full of bridesmaids dresses to try on the dress I wanted, we were not allowed to take any photos, and the woman left me and my mother to decide on the dress ourselves without telling us anything about the style or the fit or other dresses. I decided I wanted to buy it, so I was finally allowed to take photos and was measured for the dress. The owner herself took my measurements and told me they would order a size up to fit my bust and take in the waist. The dress gets shipped out to the midwest where I'm at school and it's not only too short but the bust comes nowhere near fitting me. I call Katherine's and speak to Katherine herself about the poor fit and she tells me there's nothing she can do without my measurements so I send measurements and send photos, and not only did I lose weight (the dress should have been even more likely to fit) but the seamstress out here tells me that by taking it in at the waist and trying to cover the bust the dress will become even shorter (I asked for floor length). Katherine said there was nothing she could do after repeated phone calls, wouldn't take the dress back, and told me my body shape was responsible for the problem!! My mother and I were appalled. For the amount we spent on that dress, to have it arrive so ill-fitting that it's impossible to alter and have the owner herself criticize my body and refuse to take back a dress she should never have ordered was completely unacceptable. The fit of the gown was something professionals at a nice boutique should have been able to manage. I had to purchase a different dress, alone, out here at school, off the floor of a boutque in order to have a dress in time for my May wedding at all! Any good owner of a boutique should have known their dresses well enough to fit me for one-- I'm a size 0/2 with a D cup bust and I purchase perfectly well fitting clothing every day, it's not difficult. The dress I purchased at a much lower profile boutique out here had no trouble fitting me perfectly for a beautiful gown at half the price. Katherine is rude, runs a business not worth the prices it holds out, and doesn't know her merchandise. Buy elsewhere and get treated the way you deserve to be, it's your big day and a snotty and unskilled vendor shouldn't have the opportunity to ruin your experience.