The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Rural Hill in Huntersville, North Carolina, offers its new cultural center to brides and grooms celebrating a wedding. Situated on 265 acres of diverse countryside, the cultural center has all the comfortable amenities you could want for your wedding day. This elegant and tasteful setting has both indoor and outdoor venues, ideal for ceremonies and receptions.

May Davidson Hall Cultural Center. Vaulted ceilings, crisscrossed wood beams, primitive ironwork chandeliers and glossy wood floors will greet you as you enter the cultural center. Expansive windows and doors allow in cheerful natural lighting. This space will accommodate up to 300 guests for a cocktail reception and 128 guests for a banquet reception. Capacity expands if you spill out onto the covered patio or an event tent.

Covered Patio. Step outside the cultural center to the west onto the covered patio. Views of the sunset are simply stunning. Use the patio for your ceremony, cocktail hour or reception.

The Grounds. Expansive grounds include fields and woods with many spots that are suitable for an open-air event. Set up a simple altar with chairs for pews to exchange your vows. Fields are available for tenting.

Weddings at Rural Hill can't help but be a dignified country experience. A Rural Hill Host will be on site to assist you throughout the day of your event.

Many amenities await you when you book your wedding at Rural Hill. Some tables and chairs are available for you to use for your ceremony and reception. The venue does not offer catering services; however, the facility provides a large catering kitchen for caterers to use during your event. New and tastefully appointed restrooms are also present on the property.

The Scottish Heritage Library is present on the site, which brides can use on the day of the event for dressing and preparation. The library is large enough to provide comfortable areas for relaxing as you prepare for your wedding day.

You can request a preferred vendor list, prepared by the event staff. The vendor list includes providers of many different wedding services, including florists, photographers, entertainers and more.

Rural Hill enjoys celebrating wedding celebrations with couples and their families. The staff understands that special touches and enhancements often make weddings even more unforgettable. Some amenities are available to add to your wedding day package.

• The venue will provide hay wagon rides or use of a horse-drawn carriage
  • Request the use of hay bale benches, picnic tables or a fire pit

North Carolina's Rustic Wedding Destination

Located only 15 minutes outside of Charlotte, Rural Hill offers 265-acres of beauty and history for your wedding. Plan your outdoor ceremony in our Farm House's front lawn under the Oak trees or at our 1760's cabin with open vistas. Our 4,000 sqft barn is your premier rustic reception venue. Call us today to schedule your tour!

• Outdoor - Covered

Farm + Ranch, Barn, Historic Venue, Park, Tented

4431 Neck Road, Huntersville, NC (704) 875-3113

Lauren and Rural Hill staff were fabulous!!

Reviewed on 7/19/2015

The Rural Hill was the perfect selection for our wedding reception. Lauren was wonderful to work with. She lined us up with the preferred vendors who were also fabulous. We continue to receive compliments about the venue and the pictures are gorgeous! I highly recommend The... Read More Rural Hill!

Reviewed on 3/02/2017 Becky W

Rural Hill was just awesome. Throughout the process of planning our wedding, RH was flexible and accommodating. From the outset, details about booking, timing, and usage of the venue were easy to nail down and solidify. We were able to setup and rehearse at RH, and decorate to... Read More our liking. The wedding day itself could not have gone more perfectly, with a gorgeous backdrop of dove-tailed pioneer cabins and farmland, lush trees, and taking place in their rustic barn. My wife and I are filled with nothing but positive memories from that day, and the process with Rural Hill. Rural Hill is a beautiful venue for a mixed outdoor/indoor wedding, fully indoor (in the barn), or fully outdoor (in the fields), and reasonably priced.

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Eileen B

Lauren was awesome, she made planning our daughter's wedding a breeze. She was always responses to our questions and requests. She coordinated with our other vendors and made everything go smoothly. She is very professional, organized and calm. Our event was perfect!

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Rachel B

Rural Hill was the absolute perfect venue for my husband and I's recent fall wedding! We really wanted open, colorful, and picturesque landscape reminiscent of the mountains, with the convenience of being close to home. When we pulled up for our tour, it was clear to both of us... Read More that we had found what we were looking for. In addition to the beautiful landscape, the reception hall was wonderful as well. The functional kitchen made food prep easy and stress free, and the hall itself was large enough for layout of buffet tables, dining tables for guests, Bar, and cake table. Choosing to have our dance floor out on the covered brick patio made dancing the night away in the cool fall air with our friends and loved ones even more wonderful. The staff at Rural Hill are all very personable and helpful. Lauren was incredibly kind and helpful throughout the entire planning process and was open to hear my requests, but also made wonderful suggestions and recommendations whenever I wasn't quite sure about things. Eric and Misty were very attentive the day of our wedding by keeping things tidy, and even moving the decorations from our ceremony site over to the reception area. We had planned on having a fire pit, but when the winds were a little too high, Eric forewarned me that it might not be safe. Later in the evening, when the winds had died down, Eric set up and lit a wonderful fire for our guests to enjoy with only an hour and a half left of our reception. I could tell that all Rural Hill staff genuinely cared that my Husband and I enjoy our special day, and did all they could to make sure that was the case. From set up to clean up, they were there. For the beauty of the location, the price is reasonable. Not only that, but the price of rental goes towards the preservation of this historic site so that it can be enjoyed by the public for years to come, and that it something that I can get behind. Our wedding was an absolute dream, and exceeded our expectations, and Rural Hill was a huge part of that.

2016-10-28T11:37:08 Response from the vendor

Your wedding perfect! You had the best vendors and YOU were wonderful to work with! Best of luck to you both!!

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Greg M

Beautiful venue, wouldn't change a thing! It was so nice to have the wedding and reception at the same location. The wedding was everything we had wished for!

2016-10-28T11:39:24 Response from the vendor

We loved working with you! And LOVE hearing that it was perfect!!

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Sara P

Amazing! You can do so much with the space & it's so beautiful to start with. All the staff we encountered were so friendly & accommodating, especially Lauren. She is beyond amazing & helpful!

2016-10-27T11:59:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the wonderful review! Your wedding was absolutely beautiful!

Reviewed on 8/23/2016 Alan G

The venue was absolutely beautiful--and they worked with us to make our reception layout both comfortable and fun! Our wedding was in the summer, and May Davidson Hall was a perfect retreat from the hot sunshine of our ceremony to the cool AC of Cocktail hour and the reception.... Read More If you are planning a wedding here in the summer, 100 guests is the ideal maximum amount to keep all of your dinner tables and dance floor indoors to take advantage of the AC. For a spring or fall wedding, the hall can be opened up to utilize the outdoor patio area for extra seating and even some lawn games! We adored this venue--it was perfect for a rustic wedding while still having the resources that we needed (music, mics, AC, an ice maker and fridge, and even a projector if we'd wanted to use it). My only caution is to make sure all of your guests use the pathways at night--as it can get very dark outside the building to where guests can trip. We're hoping they install a little bit more lighting out by the parking area. We are very happy with this venue and are still raving about how amazing our wedding day was! The pictures are breathtakingly gorgeous and the day went like clockwork. Thank you so much to everyone at Rural Hill who worked with us on our special day!

2016-08-23T13:21:27 Response from the vendor

We loved working with you! Your wedding was beautiful! So thrilled to hear such great feedback!!

Reviewed on 8/19/2016

The setting was absolutely beautiful! The pictures taken on the grounds look amazing. Many compliments were received on the facility itself and what a great place it is for a reception. The facility is better suited for a smaller wedding crowd- like 100 or less. The guidelines... Read More on time to be in and out of the building were a little difficult for us, but overall our bride and groom and guests had a wonderful experience.

2016-08-23T13:28:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you for this great review! We are so happy our venue worked well for your reception. We understand that the 6 hour party package makes it a bit difficult to set up for an entire wedding. We suggest to anyone hosting a wedding to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 7/31/2016 Danielle T

When my fiancé and I moved to the area only a day after getting engaged, the prospect of finding somewhere to host our reception posed a lot of challenges for us. I am eternally grateful that we found Rural Hill because the people were fantastic to work with and cared about our... Read More event. The venue is beautiful and air conditioned on a beautiful piece of land and every interaction I had with the staff here was wonderful! I would recommend them in a heartbeat for any event needs in the future because they were on top of everything from start to finish with our wedding and we could not have asked for a more helpful staff!!!! I can not sing their praises enough :)

2016-08-23T13:29:54 Response from the vendor

LOVED working with you! Your wedding was perfect, along with those beautiful photos!

Reviewed on 7/31/2016 Meaghan G

We married in June 2016 and Rural Hill was the perfect ceremony and reception spot for us! The staff was amazing and they were so helpful throughout our planning process. The venue offered beautiful backgrounds for our photos and our guests were constantly commenting on the... Read More beautiful photos they were able to capture, as well. We had 100 guests and we used the barn for our reception, opening up the barn door to use the outdoor patio, as well. The space was a great size for this amount of guests! Overall, it was a great experience and I'm so happy we chose Rural Hill for our wedding celebration. Great site, staff, and scenery <3

2016-08-23T13:31:18 Response from the vendor

Working with you two and your planner was PERFECT! Everything was beautiful and well thought out. Thank you again for choosing Rural Hill to say I Do!

Holiday Wedding

Reviewed on 1/28/2016 Francesca M

Overall, I had a lovely wedding at Rural Hill and I was satisfied. I really enjoyed working with Lauren and the other helpful staff. They provided a list of preferred vendors which assisted me in selecting mine. There were a few things that in hindsight I wish would have gone... Read More differently. The venue is really small and I would not recommend it to anyone having over 80 people attending - unless you plan to do tenting and lots of outdoor activities. They say they can seat 130 comfortably and that is just not feasible unless you plan to have all food, entertainment, etc outdoors. I was displeased with the final pricing. I felt I was promised this affordable package (which is why I selected RH to begin with) when I made my deposit but then the month of my wedding I was hit with a ton of unexpected charges. I was really disappointed that I had to pay an hourly rate for the facility to be decorated the day before. However, in their defense I was married the week after Christmas. They are CLOSED the last two weeks of the year, so this is not the best place for a HOLIDAY wedding. I was also disappointed that they wanted for my family to get liability insurance to prepare and bring in our rehearsal dinner at RH. I think if I had of been fully aware of the size limitations, total expense and legal obstacles of Rural Hill, in hindsight I would have selected another venue. It is a beautiful place to have a small Saturday wedding.

Rural Hill Wedding

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 April B

Lauren is amazing. She's easy to get in contact with and is so helpful. She will do what she can to make your vision come true!

Highly Recommended!

Reviewed on 7/19/2015

Venue and staff were perfect! We had rain and had to make last minute changes that morning with the wedding starting at 2pm. Staff quickly and easily worked with the changes to ensure everything went smooth. I HIGHLY recommend this venue.

Meet The Events Director

Lauren

I love weddings and helping each bride create the day she dreams of. After 7 years in corporate sales, I wanted a change and for the past 3+ years I've managed our beautiful rustic chic venue. My clients are the best and deserve only the best! Cheers!