Washington County Historic Courthouse

Stillwater, MN

Washington County Historic Courthouse

Sitting high on the bluff overlooking Stillwater and the St. Croix River, the Historic Courthouse is an architectural and historical treasure offering a romantic space for ceremonies, receptions and groom's dinners. Fantastic photo opportunities on site and in town. Experienced, helpful staff.

Guest Capacity

City Hall, Historic Venue

101 West Pine Street, Stillwater, MN

Reviewed on 3/05/2014 Kaylin S

Provide an absolutely wonderful and stunning wedding for us! Would recommend to any and all!

Beautiful and wonderful!

Reviewed on 7/24/2013 Holly L

The Historic Courthouse is such a gorgeous venue. The staff are incredibly accommodating and helpful, as well. It was the perfect venue for our needs (we were on a budget and loved being able to hire an outside caterer and bring in our own alcohol--we saved so much money this... Read More way!) I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone.

Perfect venue to create your own vision!

Reviewed on 7/04/2013 Caroline T

My husband and I chose the Washington County Historic Courthouse because we wanted a venue that 1) would not break the bank for a group of about 90 people; 2) would let us choose our own caterer instead of having to go with the venue's choices; and 3) would give us a sense of... Read More being able to create our own vision. The WCHC staff were extremely nice and helpful in arranging our wedding in the way that we wanted it to be. The price is very reasonable compared to other nearby venues, and it had the perfect atmosphere. Plus you get it for the whole day, as opposed to a few hours. We also had our ceremony on the steps of the courthouse. Everything was wonderful! Highly recommended.

Beautiful and easy to work with!

Reviewed on 9/01/2015 Jackie L

We selected the Washington County Historic Courthouse as our venue for a few main reasons: it's an extremely beautiful venue that can accommodate both the ceremony and reception, it's reasonably priced, and they did not lock us into a specific caterer or beverage provider. This... Read More venue is low key and very easy to work with - we didn't need to worry about meeting high minimums or about nitpicky details. They arranged for the required security officer, set up the reception according to our plan, helped us set up the outdoor sound system and promptly answered all our questions. You are limited to only beer and wine (and no kegs), but that was not at all a problem for us - it just meant we got to offer more options! The venue is beautiful - we did very little decoration, just tablecloths and centerpieces, and our reception was beautiful. Also, and perhaps most important - everything was laid out up front. There were no hidden, additional charges, no last minute requirements - everything was very straightforward.

Absolutely AMAZING!

Reviewed on 12/15/2014 Miranda B

Two words; absolutely AMAZING!! We could not have picked a better place! The views are breathtaking! The staff is extremely helpful and do everything in their power to make your special day perfect! There are SOOO many awesome spots for pictures! We had the ENTIRE courthouse to... Read More ourselves for the ENTIRE day! Our ceremony was outside at 3:00 and then from 3:45 - 5:30 guests got to tour the courthouse, including the jail and exhibit. We also had yard games outside for the children! At 5:30 we had dinner upstairs and then music and dancing until 11:00! It was a perfect day!

Amazing Site

Reviewed on 11/29/2014 Jennifer O

We absolutely loved this venue. There is so much history, and we loved the fact that we could hold the ceremony and reception at the same site. The staff was incredibly helpful throughout the process. We were able to visit the site when we wanted and the staff answered emails... Read More quickly and answered our questions with a lot of experience. We absolutely loved the flexibility the Courthouse offered. We were able to bring our own home brew for the ceremony and we were able to use our own vendors. The site was perfect for our wedding!

Beautiful for an outdoor ceremony

Reviewed on 9/12/2012 Emily C

We only held the ceremony here, but the building and surrounding area is beautiful for pictures.

Beautiful venue with helpful staff

Reviewed on 9/10/2012 Katy S

The historic courthouse is a beautiful building inside and out. I enjoyed every moment of our wedding here. It easily accomodated our 170 guests, much more comfortably than I anticipated with room to walk around and dance (once we cleared out acouple of tables). My husband... Read More and I loved that we could bring our own food and beverages in to the courthouse for the reception. The staff were also great, they allowed me to come look at the space several times before the wedding and answered many questions over the phone as well. They were present, but never overbearing during our rehearsal and on the day of the wedding.

Beautiful Location

Reviewed on 10/07/2011 Rebecca A

I loved having my Wedding at the Washington County Historic Courthouse. We had planned to do the ceremony on the front steps but it was cold and rainy so we had it inside which was just as beautiful. We also had our reception there! The best things about the courthouse, is that... Read More you can bring in your own caterer and wine/beer, it is so beautiful you don't need much for decorations, and it is affordable! The only downside is that you have to have pay a security guard and he pretty much was no where to be seen most of the night.

Disappointed with the service

Reviewed on 9/15/2011 Katie S

I was excited about the Courthouse for my wedding reception. I knew it would be more work to have a wedding at this location because you have to set up everything and hire in everyone for the day. I was up for the challenge. What I didn't expect was a nasty attitude the day... Read More before my wedding from Carolyn a staff employee of the courthouse who works with people having their wedding at this location. Previously, I was working with Anna who had been very helpful. She is the other staff member who works with weddings at the courthouse. Carolyn was very upset that we had gone in on Friday to set up some of the decorations after having received permission to do so. There was no wedding taking place the Friday before my wedding on Saturday, and therefore, we were told we could come in during their regular hours to set things up. Carolyn rudly informed me we should have been paying hundreds of dollars for this time. I guess their policy now states that you can have from noon the day of your wedding until midnight for set up and take down. I am not sure how this could be done with. I was informed that I would have from 8AM on Saturday to start setting up. Looking back, I now realize that would have been extremely stressful. I wish that myself and family were not treated so disrespectfully just the say before my wedding. The venue itself is neat; however, the AC could not keep us cool/comfortable during the dance.

Nice and hands-off!

Reviewed on 11/05/2010 MaryBeth E

I looked at several venues before deciding on this one. My biggest pet peeve about many of them was the lack of freedom you were given when renting the space. I really wasn't interested in an all-in-one sort of deal where your venue gets to decide who caters, who bakes your... Read More cake, and even what your flowers look like. The Historic Courthouse is remarkably hands-off when you want them to be, yet simultaneously very, very helpful. I loved the ability to pick our own caterer, supply our own beer and wine, and the fact that we were given full-day exclusive access to the building. It was perfect! Plus, the architecture and interior design is AMAZING.

Beautiful Venue & Accomodating Staff

Reviewed on 8/14/2010 Nicole A

I've always seen the Washington County Historic Courthouse in magazines & thought was a gorgeous building, but was thrilled to learn they do weddings. The staff was very informative & they have their "wedding" system down to a tee. I worked primarily with Anna M., but also had... Read More assistance from Carolyn - both of whom answered my questions fully & were prompt in returning any calls. They let you customize your wedding - pick your own caterer, music, beer/wine which I loved. I hated being told at certain venues we had to use this DJ or this cake maker, etc. The courthouse is a well-kept secret & we were happy with our decision to hold our reception there.

Reviewed on 8/09/2010 Jennifer S

Historic building features beautiful outdoor spaces, overlooks downtown Stillwater, and has exceptional customer service.

Review for Washington County Historical Courthouse

Reviewed on 10/18/2008 Kristin L

25' ceilings stain glass windows judges bench hard wood floors wonderful atmosphere great price outdoor veterans courtyard

Rating for Historic Courthouse