Can a Friend or Family Member Perform Your Ceremony?

Can A Friend Or Family Member Perform Your Ceremony?

A: The quick answer to that is yes; it is possible to have a friend of family member perform your marriage ceremony once they have been legally ordained to do so. Getting ordination can be as simple as filling out an online form from a ministry that will ordain anyone who wants to solemnize weddings. Many organizations may require a fee, a statement of religious faith, and/or an application, while others simply require that you submit your contact information for their database. However, be aware that some states require additional paperwork, that the officiant provides a letter of good standing within his or her ministry, so make sure that you have thoroughly researched the requirements in your area. Many states will also allow residents to obtain a one-time license to perform a marriage, which may require standing before a judge.

You should note that some religious denominations will not recognize a marriage performed by someone ordained outside the faith; so, although you may be legally married, your church may not acknowledge it. Also, keep in mind the type of ceremony you wish to have, and whether or not the person you want to solemnize it is articulate and capable of handling something so important. However, if you're not particularly religious, and know the loved one you've selected can handle the responsibilities involved, there is no reason why you can't ask someone close to you to perform the ceremony.
Up Next
  • 12 Small Wedding Venues in Houston for an Intimate Event
    12 Small Wedding Venues in Houston Your Event