Thurman's Mansion And Pecan Grove at the Salt Lick

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

For couples who love the Texas sunshine, the Driftwood, Texas location of Thurman's Mansion and Pecan Grove at the Salt Lick is an exquisite destination. Set amongst century-old oaks, rolling hills, native wildflowers and abundant wildlife, it's easy for couples and guests to fall in love with the historic area as they relax with a drink in the Texan countryside. As your guests arrive, they are welcomed with the scent of open fire pits, where meats have been smoked since 1967.

At Thurman's Mansion and Pecan Grove at the Salt Lick, couples enjoy numerous indoor and outdoor options for their ceremony and reception. Whether couples choose to exchange vows in a vineyard or the expansive mansion, this site will accommodate an unforgettable wedding. Couples can choose from the following venues to celebrate their nuptials:

Thurman's Mansion. Thurman's Mansion is a beautiful stone structure known for its utopian views, impressing Texan natives and out-of-towners alike. The gorgeous setting is perfect for intimate gatherings thanks to its rustic elegance. This venue will accommodate up to 180 guests or 150 when including a dance floor.

Pecan Grove. Spanning 7,200 square feet and accommodating 350 seated guests, the Pecan Grove is an exceptional site for larger receptions. With its location on the edge of Onion Creak, couples can enjoy the ambiance of twinkle lights and pecan trees while celebrating outdoors throughout the evening. A custom-built fire pit further adds to the charm of this venue.

Banquet Room. The Banquet Room will seat up to 120 guests and is the perfect rustic retreat for medium-sized receptions. The oversized windows welcome in the outside scenery—should inclement weather be an issue—and the size of the space is excellent for rehearsals, as well as dancing.

The Garden Room. The Garden Room is perfect for bridal showers, rehearsals and luncheons as it seats up to 80 guests comfortably. A private entrance is available, which is convenient for large crowds converging on the property.

Couples are provided with both catering and event coordination services at Thurman's Mansion And Pecan Grove at the Salt Lick. They can select from a rage of meal options from the restaurant’s mouthwatering barbecue menu, featuring the addition of simple, fresh ingredients to complete their customized meal.

When selecting from the venue options, couples should know that certain restrictions apply. For example, The Banquet Room and The Garden Room are not available for rent on Saturdays or Sundays. Also, this is a cash-only and BYOB location.

Because Thurman's Mansion and Pecan Grove at the Salt Lick is committed to helping couples achieve the wedding of their dreams, they offer the following extra perks:

• On-site bride and groom's quarters
  • Salt Lick Cellars available weekdays for 100-guest private parties
  • Breezeway open weekdays for 60-guest private parties
  • Private dining room available weekdays for 55-guest private parties

Step into marital bliss in the Texas Hill Country

Whether you envision a ceremony on the banks of Onion Creek underneath a canopy of pecan trees at Pecan Grove or sipping cocktails overlooking the heart of the Texas Wine Country at Thurman's Mansion, boasting stunning views of verdant vineyards and lush woodlands, we have a venue for every bride.

Ballroom, Barn, Waterfront, Estate, Historic Venue, Vineyard

Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering

17900 FM 1826, Driftwood, TX (512) 894-3117

Thurman's produces one very happy married couple

Reviewed on 10/02/2011 Emily Z

Our wedding was last night, and it was absolutely beautiful. The venue is gorgeous, and the weather was as perfect as it could be in light of the recent heat wave in Texas. We opted for the regular Salt lick BBQ menu, and all of our guests marveled at how great the food was,... Read More as well as how beautiful the venue was. Our coordinator at Thurman's Mansion was Annette Yates. She was great. We cannot stress enough how much she contributed to the overall success of the event. We had several problems stemming from some oversight on our part, and Annette rolled with them and came up with some great solutions. She was onsite for the entire event, and did a wonderful job coordinating with the various vendors to ensure that everyone had a great time. Thanks again to Annette, and everyone at Thurman's Mansion for making our special day a great success!

Beautiful venue: country and modern together

Reviewed on 5/24/2011 Maria K

The venue is beautiful and everything we had hoped for. The catering staff did a fantastic job and we are still getting compliments from our guests about the food.

Beautiful venue!!!

Reviewed on 12/01/2010 Skyler F

Thurmans mansion is a great place and price to have a wedding! Stunning views overlooking a vineyard in the hill country! Chef Michael and staff did an amazing job on our food and service! We had so many people tell us that it was the best wedding food they had ever had!... Read More Thank you Tana Kent, Chef Michael and staff for helping make our wedding day so amazing!

Reviewed on 10/01/2016 Melanie P

Had our rehearsal at Salt Lick and it was perfect!! Perfect size for 60-70 people and the food was well absolutely the best. They didn't stop bring food and we even left with leftovers! Totally have your rehearsal here if you are getting married in Dripping Springs!

The best barbecue for the best wedding

Reviewed on 1/24/2016 Nicholas R

Salt Lick was the obvious first choice for us for our 111-person two-groom January wedding at Mercury Hall in Austin for a bunch of reasons: they make the best barbecue on the planet; our non-Texan guests, in particular, needed barbecue; they had done an awesome job with my... Read More sister's wedding a few years before; just about everything is gluten-free (especially important for our two guests with celiac); and they have great vegetarian options. Haley Mlinac worked with us to put together the perfect buffet, with brisket, sausage, grilled vegetables, potato salad, cole slaw, beans, iced tea, and stuffed poblanos for the vegetarian option--as well as the bar service, which Haley coordinated through Third Generation Bar Services. In addition to all of the amazing food--which was a huge hit with our guests--they also did an excellent job with breakdown and cleanup service. We also ended up with a ton of delicious leftovers, which was awesome for continuing to feed our out-of-town guests throughout the rest of the weekend.

Reviewed on 12/29/2015 Madeline B

Pecan Grove was an absolutely unforgettable venue to get married. All of our guests could not believe how beautiful Pecan Grove was and many commented that it was the best wedding food they have ever had. We planned our wedding from out of state and could not have been more... Read More pleased with the level of service the wedding coordinators provided. Everything went perfectly and we are so very happy we chose this magical place to get married.

Pecan Grove at The Salt Lick

Reviewed on 8/18/2015 Jordan G

I planned my wedding in Austin, Texas while I lived in Phoenix, Arizona. It was crazy, but the PG coordinators were very helpful and answered all questions I had very quickly. They were prompt and respectful. The venue is GORGEOUS (in the summer) which makes other decor... Read More unnecessary. Ceremony was outdoors and reception was the A/C indoors (umm.. because August.. in Austin.. so much sweat!). Food was yummy and the event staff was very helpful and kind. My biggest complaint is the price of food/drink. You have to spend a minimum of $6000 and this total does NOT include alcohol. Initially this was not made clear and I budgeted $6000 for food, drinks, and alcohol. Less than one month out this was clarified for me, so they honored the original understanding, which was nice. The complaint comes from the cost of alcohol packages. The alcohol vendor is called Third Generation Bar Services and they're just greedy in my opinion. There were so many extra charges for bar setups, tear down, paying individual bar tenders $35/hour, requirements for at least 2 bar tenders per bar and x number of bars if you have x number of people. It was ridiculous. When you averaged it out, we were paying $10/drink for cheap beer and one white and one red wine. Ultimately, we ended up not paying for our guests drinks because it was so far out of our budget and I couldn't justify spending $3000 on Bud Light and generic wine. That's ridiculous and greedy. We went with a cash bar where guests could buy a drink if they wanted, but that still cost us $1300. Other than this interaction and ridiculous pricing, I loved getting married at Pecan Grove. It was our dream day and absolutely gorgeous!!

Reviewed on 5/31/2015 Aimee H

This review is for the Salt Lick - not the venue. The Salt Lick catered my spring wedding and the food was amazing. I heard nothing but good things from all guests, many being from out of town and enjoying Texas BBQ for the first time. I also owe many thanks to Callie, the... Read More event coordinator for the Salt Lick. She put up with me and my husband for almost a year! She had given us multiple different quotes and even had to redo our invoice a few times due to our indecision. She NEVER complained. She was great to work with! Thank you to both Callie and the Salt Lick!

Best wedding food ever!

Reviewed on 3/31/2015

We had The Salt Lick cater our daughter's wedding and our guests proclaimed it the best wedding food ever. Our coordinator Callie made sure that every detail was covered and was so very conscientious about keeping us informed and up to date. We visited for a tasting, even though... Read More we knew the BBQ was awesome, and were really impressed with the selection of appetizers. Our guests loved the eggplant stuffed mushrooms, caprese salad skewers and stuffed tomatoes. Lonnie and Michael came to our venue and made sure that all 150 of our guests were well-fed and happy. The BBQ and sides were perfection - of course, it was The Salt Lick! At the end of the evening they packed up the remaining food and even packaged individual meals for the bride and groom and both sets of parents. We were delighted with the food and service provided by The Salt Lick.

Beware Misleading Photos

Reviewed on 2/20/2015 Heinz H

We canceled our wedding at Pecan Grove because the photos they sent are not representative of the actual venue. The classy stone walkway is covered by a wooden deck, the natural interior is pained over grey and white, those big clear windows are actually warped, synthetic... Read More material, and the ceremony site is on top of a swamp with a drainage pipe less than 15 yards away. To top it all off, we specifically asked if the venue was close to any highways that would disrupt a ceremony with noise. Their coordinator Carson assured us that it was not, but when we arrived we saw that the venue and ceremony site is less than 60 yards from a major roadway. Who wants to say "I do" with cars and trucks whizzing by at 55mph every few seconds? We live in California now, but my fiance went to college in the Austin area and has been to the Salt Lick restaurant many times so we had no reason not to trust the photos. On their website, their brochure, and even extra photos we requested by email--everything looked beautiful so we booked sight unseen about 13 months out. We visited a month later and canceled as soon as we saw the venue. It wasn't even close to the photos they sent. The worst part was the way we were treated after this. We were disappointed that Salt Lick wouldn't return any of the non-refundable deposit, even though we canceled 12 months before the date and especially after sharing with them how we felt the pictures were not a true representation of their location as well as their proximity to a rather noisy highway. After emailing or calling the Salt Lick nearly every day for a month, we were finally able to negotiate a refund of half of our deposit. That's still a sizable portion of our budget that we will not have for our wedding all because The Salt Lick mislead us into a contract that severely limited our rights. We couldn't be more displeased with the way we were treated by the Salt Lick employees, specifically Maile, Carson, and Analisa. We would not recommend this venue to anyone.

Ruined my friend's wedding

Reviewed on 2/19/2015 Ashley b

This review is far overdue! My good friend got married at Thurman Mansion last spring (2014) and I was a bridesmaid in the wedding. I actually helped her pick the perfect spot for her wedding and let me tell you--this did not end up being it! The bride lives in Dallas and I live... Read More in Houston and so I was helping her look at locations in Austin and San Antonio. After a couple of months of looking, we landed on Thurman Mansion and she fell in love with pictures online, AND mainly the fact that it was catered by her favorite BBQ place--The Salt Lick. We had planned to meet in Austin and look at the venue together but we had to push back looking a couple of times because of our work schedules, anyway, long story short we didn't get to do a site visit before she could sign the contract. Why you ask? Why would she sign the contract without doing a site visit? Well, she had told her intended wedding date to the contact at Thurman Mansion and eventually my friend was told that someone else was interested in her date. So, she signed the contract intending to visit two weeks later. When we arrived, the venue was not NEARLY as nice as the pictures. In a word, disappointing. It was all over the bride's face. We thought that maybe, since the wedding was still 8 months out that they could work with us as far as her getting the return of her deposit, etc, even though she had already signed a contract that stated there was a non refundable deposit. But, they were VERY clear about the fact that her contract was binding and they wouldn't be returning any of her deposit even if another couple booked the date. My friend had a fairly moderate budget for her wedding and so she decided to have the wedding there anyway. Unfortunately, after what had transpired at her site visit, everyone she and I dealt with for the planning process were terrible. No one every got back to us, I'm talking we had to call and leave messages and email and wouldn't receive a call back for two weeks or more (which is unacceptable). The wedding day itself was a happy affair, but with no thanks to ANY OF THE STAFF at this venue. Brides beware of the great reviews of this place, they are very much falling short of The Salt Lick name and are not true representatives of Texas' warm and welcoming hospitality.

The perfect place

Reviewed on 11/24/2014 Stephanie M

I had my wedding here this past October and couldn't have been happier. Hands down this was the best decision we made when planning our wedding. The process was simple, the coordinator was very attentive, and the location was absolutely stunning! All night our guests kept... Read More complimenting the venue and asking how we found this gem. The setups in the reception hall and the outdoor wedding space were perfect. There was plenty of room for the guests to move around freely and the grounds were well lit at night to help people walk off all the food and find a quiet break from all the dancing. The spread was top notch and I still receive compliments on having the best food at a wedding. The staff were courteous and very accommodating, and our bartender was friendly and extremely helpful during my pre-wedding jitters. The value for the price can't be beat. Looking at my wedding pictures and the beautiful backdrops, I am so glad we picked the Salt Lick Pecan Grove!

Can't Go Wrong!

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Kristi M

The Caterers were friendly, the set up was clean and organized, and the food was incredible! What more could one ask for?! Not one of our guests had a complaint!

Total Perfection

Reviewed on 10/20/2014 Sam A

Pecan Grove offered a completely perfect event space and food provider for my wedding. But the best kept secret is Carson, the venue coordinator. She went above and beyond to solve a missing cake issue, and was helpful with all my crazy questions the month leading up. As far as... Read More Pecan Grove goes, it was completely beautiful and includes pretty much everything! Chairs, tables, outdoor seating, etc. They also have add-ons like extra bars and cocktail tables, outdoor games, etc. The whole event ran like a well-oiled machine and I didn't worry about anything all night. Pecan Grove is a hidden gem in the Hill Country, so book it ASAP. I could spend paragraphs and paragraphs talking about the food but I'll say this: we invited a lot of people with very sophisticated palates, and they RAVED about the food. The BBQ buffet was a huge hit, but also the passed appetizers were incredible and creative and well prepared. Also they came out immediately! This is a wonderful venue. I'm thrilled it was where my wedding took place!

Fabulous Food, Service, and Venue (but with a minor mistep!)

Reviewed on 7/17/2014 Ashley B

Our July wedding at Thurman's Mansion was absolutely beautiful. From start to finish, we were so happy with our choice in venue. We started out in the lovely and spacious dressing rooms. We had fantastic weather under the big oak tree and looked out over the green lawns and... Read More vineyards, which provided the perfect backdrop for some amazing photo ops. The staff were professional, yet enthusiastic and made us all feel special. The Salt Lick BBQ, was, of course, delicious and a huge crowd pleaser. The only hiccup in the night was that the bar package we had selected was not the one that was provided. Key parts of the wine menu were changed or missing. It was a bit disappointing that our wedding suffered from a miscommunication between the Salt Lick and their bar services. However, I will say that the staff handled the mistake beautifully. They were sincerely apologetic and comped part of the bar bill for us. Overall, we had a beautiful night and it would not have been the same anywhere else! A true classy Texas evening!

Thurman's Mansion was GREAT!

Reviewed on 6/17/2014 Nicole T

Katie and Thurman’s Mansion did an INCREDIBLE job for our wedding on Saturday (06/14/14)! I was planning our Austin/Driftwood wedding from Virginia so I didn’t have an opportunity to meet Katie in person until several days before the wedding. However, she was professional and... Read More easy to work with via telephone and email. The food (Salt Lick BBQ) was outstanding and the venue looked great. We were fortunate with the weather and even had a cool breeze at the time of the ceremony. That is certainly a lucky thing for June! The cocktail hour and reception went off without a hitch. Adrian and the other banquet staff members were fantastic. Guests all commented on how good the BBQ was but knowing Salt Lick, we expected no less! Thanks Katie and your entire team for making our wedding so memorable!

Great venue, one stop shop!

Reviewed on 6/03/2014 Allie R

We got married at Thurman's Mansion a few weeks ago and could not have been more pleased with the venue, staff and especially the coordinator, Carson. Carson was absolutely a joy to work with and you can tell she really cares about her clients. This venue provides linens, food,... Read More bar, even entertainment if you want it- all for a fairly reasonable price. It made wedding planning SO easy and Carson is willing to help with answering even the strangest of questions. I wouldn't do a single thing different. Carson and the event staff were amazing!!

So great to work with & DELICIOUS!

Reviewed on 3/25/2014 Natalie B

From beginning to end, Salt Lick was a joy to work with. We hired them to cater our wedding reception for about 125 people and they could not have been more perfect. The Salt Lick team answered our initial inquiry immediately and made short work of getting us acquainted with... Read More their operation and our options for our event. They were flexible and professional enough to accommodate almost every detail -- dietary restrictions, serving presentation, day-of logistics, and the list goes on. With a long engagement, it was almost a year between our first contact with them and the actual wedding. During that time, we dealt with three different coordinators (due to new hiring and employee vacations) and while that could have been a total nightmare, they managed the hand-off of our event with grace and without anything falling through the cracks. Our final event coordinator Callie Hill was definitely the most wonderful to work with. Before putting in the final order, we went to their Driftwood location for a tasting and lunch.The catering and restaurant staff treated us and our parents amazingly well, brought us extra goodies, and answered all the questions we had. It really felt like red carpet treatment months before we event had our wedding. As for the food: if you've eaten Salt Lick before, you know how truly amazing their BBQ is. And we're happy to report that their catered fare is not lacking one iota in quality! The catering team arrived with their grill/smoker in tow and the BBQ that they put out on the buffet line was as good as any I believe I've ever had. They provided the perfect meal for our reception with the most amazing, professional service and our guests just couldn't stop telling us how much they enjoyed the meal. Aside from the amazing food, they were in and out so smoothly and neatly that I was astonished. They arrived early and set up in a flash, cleaned up quickly and thoroughly, and even gave us some leftovers which we and our friends devoured after a few drinks at the after-party :) In conclusion: incredible, professional admin and catering staff who are willing to accommodate almost any request; and of course WORLD CLASS BBQ. I simply could not recommend Salt Lick catering highly enough.

Amazing

Reviewed on 9/16/2013 Sarah L

We had nothing but compliments about our catering. My husband and I have been eating there all during college and it was beyond perfect for our big day. From the passed appetizers to the dinner it was all perfect. We even had a guest order it for the Labor Day holiday and... Read More shipped over 200 miles because he loved it so much. I think that speaks for itself.

Great service, amazing food, economical

Reviewed on 7/06/2013 Christine C

My husband and I (along with the rest of the world) love salt lick BBQ. I had a picture of an easy, fun, BBQ wedding and salt lick really delivered! It was much more affordable than a few of the other venues we looked at as well. The Salt Lick has two private event venues and... Read More you can also cater the nationally famous BBQ. We chose the pecan grove pavilion because we had a very large wedding (~300) and we were going for a relaxed vibe. The Thurman's Mansion is the other place and is really nice too. We had an outdoor creek side wedding and reception in the air conditioned (important for a June wedding in TX) pavilion. During the entire planning process, Ashley, our on-site coordinator was so helpful and a joy to work with. Suffice it to say, all our guests had a blast and the food was amazing! It was great to find an all-in-one venue that had chairs, tables, food, venue, and even did our table flower arrangements! If only it had been closer to Austin, where most of our guests stayed. That was remedied with a shuttle service we hired. Couldn't recommend this place enough!

Amazing as Always!

Reviewed on 6/15/2013 Heather W

If you are getting married in the hill country I highly recommend using The Salt Lick as your caterer! We had some very prestigious BBQ eaters coming to our wedding, and every single one of them was super impressed with how delicious the BBQ was! Definitely cannot go wrong with... Read More them!

Great food!

Reviewed on 4/25/2013 kristina h

The caterers were excellent and very polite. The food was excellent!

LOVED IT

Reviewed on 3/24/2013 Alexandria D

We has a country themed wedding so what better place to have our rehearsal dinner! SALT LICK!!! We had 50+ people on a Sat night at the Salt Lick. They were helpful and the staff was great. Our out of town family and friends were blown away. Thanks for making our wedding weekend... Read More awesome. Recommending them to any bride wanting a stress free evening. OH AND BYOB... WHATS BETTER?? :)

Texas Tradition at its Finest

Reviewed on 11/09/2012 Summer M

The food was everything you would expect from The Salt Lick and more. The staff was easy to work with and the event coordinator was on her game. They are an amazing establishment. If only I had known how many options they had to have the actual ceremony there! Oh well, I am... Read More thinking that when the time comes, I can have a baby shower there to make up for it. Great job to their team!

Best BBQ you can get!

Reviewed on 7/16/2012 Katherine D

We knew without a doubt we wanted BBQ at our reception. So my mom and I didn't bother checking out other caterers outside that genre. I am used to Rudy's and never like it that much, plus they were a little bit more expensive. We went to check out Salt Lick in Driftwood and it... Read More was SO good. The price for catering was decent, and they are out at our venue all the time. So we picked the option with brisket, ribs and sausage. At the reception there was SO much food and people were piling their plates high then going back for seconds. That's one of the things we heard about most after the wedding, was how awesome the BBQ was. One of my regrets was being too busy to actually get to enjoy my plate :( I definitely recommend Salt Lick for a wedding reception, or any event, and I can't wait until I'm back in the area and can go back!