24 Thoughtful Birthday Wishes for Your Brother-in-Law
Whether you're super close with your brother-in-law (or brother-in-law-to-be), have met him a handful of times or haven't met at all, deciding what to write on his birthday card is challenging—especially if there isn't an accompanying gift for a brother-in-law. When it comes to crafting birthday wishes for your brother-in-law, it's important to consider his interests, sense of humor and, of course, how close you are to him. While there's no harm in opting for a card with a message already inside, oftentimes, these generic messages can come off as impersonal and detached. Need a little extra inspiration to spruce up your store-bought card? Scroll through below for our favorite birthday wishes to your brother-in-law to help get your creative juices flowing—or just to copy and paste—no judgment either way.
In this article:
What to Write in a Brother-in-Law's Birthday Card
Though we always recommend asking your husband, wife or spouse for advice, if you're stuck on drafting a birthday message for your brother-in-law, there are plenty of different ways to approach coming up with a thoughtful birthday wish—from humorous quips to more heartfelt sentiments—even if you don't know him all that well. For example, if you know your brother-in-law's favorite band, TV show or movie, you could include a birthday-related quote from one of those choices to add a personalized touch. You can also mention one of his hobbies or interests, like a video game franchise or a reference to, say, golf or pickleball. Regardless of your approach, the most important thing when it comes to writing a "happy birthday" wish for your brother-in-law is to speak from the heart—after all, we doubt he's expecting an epic poem. It's also nice to reference a cool memory you share or tell him how appreciative you are of a time when he helped you out (maybe he helped you select a flawless gift for your father-in-law or gift for your mother-in-law).
Simple Birthday Wishes for a Brother-in-Law
Simple and sweet is the way to go if you aren't super close with your brother-in-law—especially if you haven't met him yet. A simple birthday greeting for your brother-in-law doesn't have to be general or cold by any means, but these messages avoid anything too personal, too sentimental or too sarcastic. These simple birthday wishes definitely play it safe, but they're worlds more creative than your average pre-printed message.
- Looking forward to seeing you next week. Birthday beers on me!
- So glad to have a brother-in-law like you rounding out the family circle. HBD!
- The best brother-in-law deserves the best birthday ever. Cheers!
- I'm so lucky to have a brother-in-law like you. Wishing you the best birthday!
- Another year around the sun. Here's to the best year ever. Happy birthday!
- Wishing you the best birthday ever, extended brother!
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Brother-in-Law
If you know your brother-in-law well or at least have heard his love language is receiving good-natured jokes, infusing humor and even a dash of sarcasm can be a fun way to liven up birthday card messages for a brother-in-law. It's a great opportunity to lightheartedly poke fun at your own sibling, reference an inside joke or to playfully speak to the aging process without getting too personal or overly cynical.
- I'm glad my sibling chose to marry you, I wish I could have chosen my sibling! Happy birthday.
- To the only man that can put up with my sibling: Happy Birthday, bro!
- Happy birthday to my brother from another mother. Wishing you all the beer, cake and video game binging your heart desires.
- Here's to another year of surviving my sibling—drinks on me to celebrate!
- From one brother to another: There's no easy way to say it—you're getting old. Thankfully, you're aging like a fine wine.
- It takes a lot of courage to be in this family by choice. Here's to another year!
Touching Birthday Wishes for a Brother-in-Law
For those who want to give their brother-in-law a more heartfelt birthday wish, there are plenty of thoughtful phrases and messages to express gratitude succinctly and convey how wonderful having him as a part of the family has been. Yes, it's his birthday, but a blank birthday card can also be a good opportunity to let them know how much you value your relationship with them.
- I would still have chosen you as a brother if my sibling hadn't chosen you first. Here's to another year, brother-in-law!
- Thank you for being the brother I never had. We are so lucky to have you in our lives. Happy birthday.
- When you married my sibling, [she/he/they] gained a husband and I gained a brother. Here's to another year of getting to hang out together.
- I couldn't think of a better addition to our family. Celebrating the best brother-in-law today and every day!
- We may not be brothers by blood, but there has never been a doubt in my mind that you're family. Wishing you the best birthday!
- Celebrating the best brother-in-law I could ever wish for today. Thank you for being the best partner to my sibling and the best addition to our family we could ask for.
Birthday Wishes for a Future Brother-in-Law
So he's not officially part of the crew yet, but that doesn't mean you can't show him how excited you are for him to join on his special day. Portray your joy for both his birthday celebration and your upcoming sibling-in-law relationship with these birthday-card sayings for your future brother-in-law.
- I could not be more excited to be gaining a brother next year! Happy birthday, future brother-in-law!
- Sending you a big virtual hug and all the best wishes on your birthday, brother-in-law-to-be!
- Happy birthday to my soon-to-be brother! I am so excited to gain you as a sibling.
- When I said yes to [partner's name], I gained both a partner and a brother I never had. I can't wait to make it official.
- I hope your birthday is the second best celebration of the year (because we all know [partner's name] and I's wedding is going to be number one)!
- It may not be official just yet, but I couldn't have chosen a better brother-in-law if I tried.