How to Write a Valentine's Day Card Message to Your Girlfriend
A lot of fuss is made over finding cute valentine gifts for your partner come February, and while scoring the perfect present is great, finding the right words to express your affection is just as important. Writing the perfect Valentine's message for your girlfriend involves expressing just how much you care about her—and just how much happiness your relationship brings to your life. But how do you summarize all that love into your Valentine's Day wishes? With our help, of course! Below, we'll walk you through writing a thoughtful and loving "happy Valentine's Day, girlfriend," whether you're dropping the L-bomb for the first time or just wondering how to ask your girlfriend to be your valentine. Let's spread some love, shall we?
In this article:
What to Write in a Valentine Card for Your Girlfriend
When it comes to writing a thoughtful Valentine's letter for your girlfriend, you really can't go wrong by speaking from the heart. Our advice: Drop all pretenses or attempts to say the things you "think" you should—no one knows your relationship and love story better than the two of you, so feel free to speak in your own special language, sprinkle in inside jokes and be as sentimental (or as serious) as you wish. You can even work in quotes from favorite movies, poems or song lyrics into your Valentine's Day wishes if you need a bit of an assist in how to ask your girlfriend to be your valentine.
Beyond writing a card with Valentine's Day wishes to your girlfriend, your prose should also convey how much you care about her and treasure your relationship—even if you think she knows it already. Partners whose love language is words of affirmation will especially appreciate your written sentiments, so take the time to sit down and recall a few key moments in the last year when you felt especially loved or appreciated by your girlfriend. Above all, be sure to let your girlfriend know how much you love her and all that you're looking forward to in the coming year together.
Cute Valentine's Day Messages for Your Girlfriend
If you and your girlfriend prefer to keep your conversations light and casual, a cute way to ask your girlfriend to be your valentine probably best suits your card. Below, take inspiration from our prewritten messages and feel free to make them your own.
- The best thing about my life is you. Thank you for everything you do and everything that you are. I love you. Happy Valentine's Day!
- Loving you is the easiest thing ever. Today and every day, you are my heart. Happy Valentine's Day, my love!
- Every love story is beautiful, but ours is definitely my favorite. Here's to another Valentine's Day side by side.
- Happy Valentine's Day to the most incredible girlfriend ever. Life is better by your side—I love you!
- I fall more and more in love with you every day. Thank you for bringing so much love and care into my life. Happy Valentine's Day!
Funny Valentine's Day Messages for Your Girlfriend
Laughter and love often go hand in hand, especially if you and your girlfriend are a pair of jokesters. Give her a good chuckle—and a few butterflies—with one of these playful and funny Valentine's Day card messages for your girlfriend.
- I'm so glad we swiped right. Here's to another year of love and laughter together—Happy Valentine's Day!
- Thank you for always feeding me—and everything else you do. Happy Valentine's Day, my love.
- Happy Valentine's Day from the best decision you've ever made. (Just kidding—you're my best thing.)
- You give me the same feeling as when I see my food coming in a restaurant. That's how I know our love is real. Happy Valentine's Day!
- You seduced me with your charming awkwardness and I've been a goner ever since. Happy Valentine's Day, beautiful girl.
LDR Valentine's Day Messages for Your Girlfriend
When distance is a factor in a relationship, communication is of the utmost importance—after all, sometimes words of affection and affirmation (either over text, via phone calls or through letters) are all you have in between visits. This year, when you're considering what to write in a Valentine's Day card to your girlfriend, opt for one of these sentimental messages she'll want to reread over and over until she sees you again.
- 547 miles has nothing on us—our love can go the distance. Happy Valentine's Day to my favorite girl.
- Distance means so little when someone means so much. Thank you for making all the miles worth it—Happy Valentine's Day.
- Happy Valentine's Day to my favorite person. I'd travel around the world for just five minutes by your side.
- Our love knows no distance—but I'm still counting down the days until I see you again. Sending you so much love this Valentine's Day.
- Close together or far apart, you forever hold a piece of my heart. Happy Valentine's Day to my favorite person.
Romantic Valentine's Day Quotes for Your Girlfriend
Sometimes, you can't find the words to adequately describe your love—but luckily for you, other people can. From Valentine's Day songs and romantic movies to tender poetry, the below phrases will help you clue your girlfriend in on exactly how you feel.
- "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you." — A. A. Milne
- "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams." — Dr. Seuss
- "You are the best thing that's ever been mine." — Taylor Swift, "Mine"
- "So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you." — Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- "It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, meant we were supposed to be together. And I knew it. I knew it the first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew it. It was like magic." — Sam Baldwin, "Sleepless in Seattle"
Valentine's Day Letter for Your Girlfriend Example
If you're looking for step-by-step instructions on how to write a love letter, you've come to the right place. Whether you're sending your love through the post or penning a card to accompany a swoon-worthy Valentine's Day gift, the below example will help you compose some paragraphs thoughtfully and eloquently.
[Her Name], My Love,
It's impossible to pay tribute to the infinite number of ways you make me happy, but because it's Valentine's Day, I will try. Life with you is, in short, magical. From our morning cup of coffee to lazy Sundays on the couch, you have a unique ability to make even the most mundane moments feel special.
Today—and every day—I hope you know how much I appreciate you and how grateful I am for your presence in my life. You make me want to be a better person and a better partner, always pushing me to reach higher and dream bigger. Our relationship brings me so much joy and happiness, and I wouldn't want to go through life with anyone else by my side. Happy Valentine's Day, sugar.