The Uncommon Caterer, Inc

Catering to Harrisburg & beyond

Cuisine

American, Italian, Latin American

Buffet, Food + Catering

330 East Louther St, Carlisle, PA Catering to Harrisburg & beyond (717) 599-0972

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Emily C

The Uncommon Caterer provided the most delicious food at my wedding! Everything from set up to tear down was handled seamlessly. I had guests all night telling me how good the food was- I only wish I could have eaten more of it! I loved my cake as well it was beautiful and so... Read More good! The only issue was with communication, but it was well worth it compared to everything else they offered!

Reviewed on 9/10/2017 Tessie P

Uncommon Caterer was fantastic from beginning to end. At our tasting, everything was awesome. We had huge portions and the food was delicious. Throughout the next year and a half of planning, Melissa and Linda worked with us to add all the little details that Chris and I... Read More wanted at our wedding. Come Day Of, everything was PERFECT. The food was amazing - so many people complimented it. Everyone also loved our popcorn and coffee bars as well. SO happy we went with Uncommon Caterer. THANK YOU!!

Reviewed on 8/13/2017 Christine C

We loved working with Melissa and Linda! Great value for awesome food and even better service! They made our menu planning so easy! Highly recommend The Uncommon Caterer!!

Reviewed on 7/30/2017 Jen S

Melissa, Linda, and the crew--thank you. We wanted a unique themed menu for our storybook wedding and MAN did you deliver. Not only was the food delicious and gorgeous, but you went above and beyond to add a few "magical" touches! Do not be afraid to give Melissa and Linda a... Read More challenge, not only did they create our menu but they came up with whole new recipes for a few of our dishes! We enjoyed everything that we ate and our guests were delighted with the variety of options--from a gourmet salad to ratatouille for vegetarians, even our littler guests had something they'd enjoy. The mac and cheese bar was AMAZING with such unique and delicious toppings, and we even got a single serving of VEGAN mac and cheese for my new hubby, so he wouldn't miss out. Thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We would work with you and your team again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed on 7/19/2017 Tara C

This mother and daughter duo is super friendly and was easy to work with. For buffet food I thought they did a good job. Guests were pleased with the flavor of the food. A few items that we had discussed were missing from the meal as well as a flavor cupcake that we were... Read More supposed to have. The did provided us with a small cake to cut which was perfect.

Reviewed on 7/01/2017 Kris G

We primarily worked with Linda for our planning and she gave us a delicious sampling of the dishes we were interested in for our wedding. Linda made us feel immediately comfortable that everything would be handled on our day. She went out of her way to make sure everything was... Read More perfect, from the serving dishes to the food to the atmosphere. They provided a free carving station for our second entree. They also included a free 2 layer cutting cake. The cupcakes are amazing, we highly recommend the chocolate peanut butter truffle and banana nutella..so good! Only 3 small things I can criticize about our day. First, they did not do a last call for the bar, we just turned around and the bar was closed, and people had no drink for the last half hour. We did only pay for service up until that point but it was under the assumption they would serve a last call and then leave. Secondly, Melissa informed me about a week prior that we would need to provide our own ice-about 5 bags-for the event or they would charge an additional fee and handle it for us. I told them to just handle it as we did not want the hassle of dragging in ice and coolers on that day. Linda ended up telling us that they were going to just take care of the ice with no charge, so we were pleased about that. Lastly, in one of the photos I noticed that one of the servers was wearing .a hoodie over top of their apron. This was something I specifically brought up in one of our meetings as I always notice what the caterers are wearing at an event and I think it really makes or breaks their presentation. I was told everyone would look professional and wore the black embroidered apron. These were all minor issues and did not affect the overall outcome of our day. The comments from our guests were that the food was incredible and the best they had at any wedding. Many guests asked for the name of the caterer. The prices were very reasonable compared to all the professional caterers we looked at. I would highly recommend this company and will continue to give them referrals.

Reviewed on 5/26/2017 Caitlyn W

Melissa and Linda are amazing and the food is delicious! They were so nice and helpful throughout the whole process. Communication was very easy and we were able to really try out the food before we picked our menu. They offer a private food tasting and a group dessert tasting.... Read More They really listened to our opinions of the food and made any changes easily like having less of a pepper crust on the pork tenderloin so it was less “spicy” for our taste. The dessert tasting was perfect for the dessert table design as well because they had the desserts displayed in various options that could be modified. The buffet set up and staff the day of the wedding were so kind and on top of everything. Everyone loved the food and we had no problem eating the leftovers the following week as it was all so tasty. It was also very reasonably priced for all of the special touches. I would highly recommend Uncommon Caterer for anyone!

Reviewed on 5/18/2017 Brittany S

I cannot express the disappointment I have in this company. We had planned to use them for our wedding but have decided against doing so. I had spoken with them about doing our wedding when I had decided to use their services for a Christmas party for work. We even chose our... Read More date around their availability! Everything went well for the Christmas party until the week before. The venue had made a mistake and we had to move our party back an hour. I had immediately called the ladies who did not answer so I left a voicemail and emailed them about the situation. I did not hear back from them. I then called on the morning of wondering if they had received my email or voicemail. They again did not answer so I again left a voicemail. One of the women called Mack shortly after and was incredibly rude. She did not say if she had checked her email or voice messages. She did care to inform me that she couldn't change the time of arrival on the same day of the event which she stated I clearly did not understand not being in the catering business. I then informed her that I had been in the restaurant and business for 5+ years and had managed restaurants with catering for 2 years. I also reminded her to check her emails and voicemails from now on and I would see her at the correct time. They then arrived at the incorrect time. I will hand it to them their portions were fantastic and the food was amazing price was cheap. I then spoke with them again afterwards to clear waters and continue planning for the wedding. They said they would contact me again after the holidays when it was no longer hectic. That was fine with me. March rolled around and I had not heard from them. I then reached out to them. At this point we had changed the date. When I first reached back out to them I had told them the new date of the wedding which they in later emails asked me what it was changed to three different times and were rude in doing so. I took I more polite tone with them when telling them the date these three times. These emails happened in the span of a week. I did not hear from them in a month, reached back out after that month passed asking if they were going to have time to do our wedding and did not hear back. We have since found another caterer who has been amazing and we have not run into a single problem so far. STAY AWAY! I DO NOT RECOMMEND! It is worth spending the extra money on a better caterer and saving the headache!

Reviewed on 5/16/2017 Kailey R

Overall, we were very happy with our choice to go with this catering company. We received so many complements on the food, and our cake and dessert bar was amazing! However, throughout the planning process, getting in contact with them was an issue. When we called no one ever... Read More answered, and it took a while for them to respond to emails. I am a typically more of a laid-back person, so this didn’t really bother me, but it’s just something to keep in mind. The only true issue we had was the awful service provided by the bartenders. At the beginning of the night, they refused to serve my father (the father of the bride who PAID for the event) a whiskey on the rocks. We had discussed serving drinks on the rocks with the venue and the caterer, both of whom said it was perfectly fine to serve drinks this way. I personally witnessed them being extremely rude to some of our guests and refusing service to one of our groomsmen (who was not drinking excessively) because the bartender “remember serving him recently.” Another guest asked for an Irish coffee, and the bartender refused without explanation… he just said no and ignored our guest as they stood at the bar. Overall, the food was great! The owners are very laid back and our personalities meshed well, however the bar service really left us very put off.

Reviewed on 5/03/2017 Ali D

Was so happy going with uncommon caterer for my wedding! This place is extremely reasonable! They even include a mini cake to cut and cupcakes for the guest for free!! The food was awesome. You can tell it's all homemade, nothing is frozen and you can see the added spices in... Read More the food. The staff was wonderful. Set up/ clean up was done so effortlessly I didn't notice it happening. The bartenders they have through the company are awesome. Never noticed a line of people waiting. Uncommon caterer was open to all of our suggestions/ ideas for the wedding. They basically can make whatever you want. Cocktail hour apps were so good! The set up of all the food/apps/desert was awesome. They have really cute decorative towers/ trays to display everything on. So happy with my choice!!

Reviewed on 4/22/2017 Marie E

Reasonably priced, unique selection of entrees, separate children's options. You may have to pick up your own linens; caterer does not have staff for such tasks. Reception was generally well-executed with some important exceptions. Some of the braciole was so grossly overcooked... Read More that it was inedible. Other guests reported that their food was not hot. The caterer did face some challenges since there was no kitchen on site. Be specific about what you want done with leftovers. The caterer does not provide containers, so be prepared. 25-30 pieces of cake may have been thrown out without consulting us. Overall, we were somewhat disappointed and found ourselves apologizing to several guests.

Reviewed on 10/06/2016 Kayla R

Food was amazing! Had many compliments of how good the Chesapeake chicken was! Price is cheap and affordable! Overall very good caterer! Definitely recommend to other brides!

Reviewed on 8/23/2016 Kayla Z

I'm still in awe with the quality of the food from this caterer and the price. It's so reasonable and it's in budget! The best part is they do EVERYTHING! From apps, to dinner, to dessert, fun dessert bars, china, glasses, decorations and your wedding cake! Definitely someone to... Read More consider!

Reviewed on 8/02/2016 Elizabeth B

Every one of our guests loved the food created by The Uncommon Caterer. The setup and execution were beyond our expectations- they truly went above and beyond. Numerous people approached us and shared that the food was THE best they've ever consumed at a wedding. During cocktail... Read More hour, we had a private setup of hors d'oeuvres for our wedding party. We ended up requesting additional hors d'oeuvres to be brought to the space, and the cook didn't think twice to happily fulfill our request. Everything was amazing and "amazing" doesn't give true justice. Everything was perfect. Please know from here on out, we will be highly recommending your services to everyone and anyone.

Reviewed on 7/01/2016 Karissa K

This mother and daughter team are awesome! They are so nice and the food amazing. For my dessert they were able to custom make mini pies for me in mini mason jars. They also were able to make special plates for the people with allergies. Their pricing is great and their service... Read More was greats as well.

Reviewed on 2/16/2016 Mary J

Melissa was good to work with and the food was great especially considering how inexpensive it was. However overall dealing with them was awful. They took a month to send us an estimate after the tasting(and the tasting was 6 months before the wedding date). Linda was very... Read More unprofessional, in our last meeting she bad mouthed other brides and their constant complaining. Prior to this I had suggested a friend look into them and in their tasting, they complained about our wedding, clearly not knowing that we knew each other. The night of our wedding we received a few comments from our guests that their service team was rude. It's a shame because they did my cousin's wedding and did a nice job which is why we used them, but I would caution anyone in the future.

Delicious

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Lianna

Everyone was very pleased with the food at our wedding! I couldn't have been happier that the food tasted just as it did when we tried it!

YUM!!!

Reviewed on 10/07/2015 Sara P

First off - you CANNOT beat the deals that The Uncommon Caterer is offering. Second, their food is SO good - our wedding meal reminded me of a home cooked dinner. We offered chicken & salmon for dinner, and they made a full-size piece for each of our 135 guests. Can't beat that... Read More for the price!!! (aka, VERY AFFORDABLE) We had them provide us with our desserts as well. Their cupcakes are to die for, we only took home 6 as leftovers.People were practically tackling each other for their Peanut Butter Truffle cupcakes ;) I literally cannot even say how fantastic The Uncommon Caterer is. I highly suggest using them - however, email is the best form of contact! They will respond much faster via email than they will by returning your call.

Reviewed on 7/14/2015

Found these ladies and took a chance, Family owned and awesome. Our wedding was on May 23,2015. They were willing to work and change our menu to fit our style and desserts were personal. And the PRICE WAS AWESOME, better then anyone in the area We have grilled chicken with side... Read More sauces, coconut rice (the bomb), spicy salmon, mushroom orzo, and cheese cakes as our desserts. They are great to work with and have an amazing new kitchen. Have recommended them to many others.

awesome caterer

Reviewed on 10/03/2014 Cindi G

Melissa and Linda were wonderful to work with for our wedding. They were careful with details, food was excellent, and service was outstanding. I would not hesitate to use them for another event.

awesome food

Reviewed on 9/01/2014 Angel D

The staff for the uncommon caterer blew me away. They are so nice and so willing to answer any and all questions. Not to mention their food is GREAT! And so many selections! The price was reasonable too.

Outstanding Quality and Value

Reviewed on 8/02/2014 Sara W

We had a great experience with The Uncommon Caterer. Our guests raved about how great the food and cupcakes were. They were extremely accommodating. They were able to work with every allergy we reported for guests and even provided gluten free entrees and cupcakes to our guests... Read More that needed them with no extra charge to us. They did our cake and cupcakes at no extra cost - they counted it as the dessert that was included in the meal. We rented our linens through them which was incredibly convenient so that we did not have to worry about picking them up and returning them. They did the set up of the venue for us at a very reasonable rate. They provided a served meal to help us save room in a smaller venue (we were concerned a buffet would cause a traffic jam in the smaller space). They were prompt in responding and answering questions and Linda and Melissa are really just so sweet and easy to work with. They were patient with a few last minute changes we had to make. There were only a few small "mistakes" which kept me from giving them five stars in every category. They did set up of the venue and they did not use the white lights we sent along - now, the venue looked fantastic after they had set up, so it was no harm in the end, but it was a detail that was overlooked and we were never told why. The larger problem we had was that they put the cupcakes out before we cut the cake. The cupcakes were supposed to be filler so we would serve the cake and allow people to take cupcakes home with them, but instead everyone ate cupcakes and we ended up with an entire three layer cake that we pretty much had to throw out (except for the part that we brought home for our 1 year anniversary). Part of the reason we had to throw it out is because when it came time to finish cleaning up, the servers that had stayed until the end did not have anything with them to package the cake. They asked us if we had boxes, which we thought was strange because they had provided the cake, and we would not have had this problem if cake had been served first as planned, as they did bring take-home containers for the cupcakes. It was a waste of cake, but we had not paid extra for it, so we were not too upset. We did bring the cake home, but it was so poorly packaged that it did not save well and we had to throw it out. Overall, the caterers did an exceptionally good job and I would recommend them to everyone. The quality is outstanding, especially for the price range. The $4000 cost included h'ordeuvres, a served meals, cake, cupcakes, non-alcoholic drinks, rental of linens, use of silverware, cups and plates and napkins, set up of venue, and favors (incredible home made chocolate truffles) for 119 people. They were great to work with. There were no hidden costs or fees that we saw with other caterers we researched. They did not charge a fee to travel to a venue about 40 minutes from their location and were pleasant from start to finish. The small blips I mentioned would not stop me from recommending them to anyone!

Professional Review

Reviewed on 7/24/2014

Was paid 1/5th of wages earned on an event I worked with this group.

UNBELIEVABLE

Reviewed on 1/06/2014 Brianne R

I could rave and rave about them for days. Not only were they one of the only caterers to offer us a taste test of options we wanted for the menu, but the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I still crave the chicken we had at the reception. They also did our cake and cupcakes and it... Read More was included in the price. They work with you in your budget and they really do have amazing food! Check them out!