Morning Glory Inn

Pittsburgh, PA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Morning Glory Inn, a quaint but charming bed-and-breakfast less than three miles from the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh and tucked away from the historic Southside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Formerly a row of townhouses, the off-the-beaten-path venue was built in the mid 1800s. It features an 1892 Victorian atmosphere with its original brick courtyard, retractable roofs, cast-iron fences and elaborately carved woodwork. The elegant yet laid-back inn often presents garden party themed weddings and personal celebrations.

The cobblestone courtyard combines rustic elements with modern day features. Original bricks dating from the 1860s paved the courtyard while sparkling golden lights hang about the verdant trees. Crawling vines and bright flowers cover the wooden lattices around the yard. Couples who choose to marry on the courtyard say their vows in front of a wrought-iron arbor adorned with blooming flowers. At night, lanterns light up the space with warm, magical lights.

Smaller receptions are accommodated inside the inn. If the bed-and-breakfast is rented for the day, the inn reserves the whole space for the couple and their guess and allows access to every room in the inn for more space. A retractable awning is placed beforehand in case of unfavorable weather and a tent may be rented for additional shade as requested.

The owners of the bed-and-breakfast have a list of vendor recommendations from the catering service to lighting and audio visual rentals and technicians. These businesses have contributed to past events at the inn. Additional choices may be used with consent from the owners.

The late 1800s Victorian-inspired inn features gorgeous interiors and the owners feel that the space requires no additional decorations or enhancements. Any decor changes, such as additional flowers, lights or use of sparklers must be approved by the owners and is subject to approval.

It's recommended to reserve the inn a few days before the actual wedding in order to settle in and prepare for the event in a timely manner. To help the couple in planning their wedding, the inn offers an interactive online questionnaire that takes note of the wedding details and allows the Morning Glory Inn to prepare for the event.

For daytime celebrations, the inn lets couples stay the night after the event. Couples renting the whole inn a week before the wedding to stay in and use the amenities of the inn together with their guests. Complimentary breakfast awaits all the occupants of the inn the next day.

For couples dreaming of a church wedding, the historic Heinz Memorial Chapel is just 8 minutes away from the Morning Glory Inn and makes a solemn setting for ceremonies. The inn is also near historic landmarks and offers easy access to the following attractions:

• Great Allegheny Passage trail
  • Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
  • Pittsburgh Opera
  • Pittsburgh Zoo
  • Pittsburgh Children Museum
  • Sandcastle Water Park

Pittsburgh Wedding Venue

Enjoy a lovely Pittsburgh wedding at Morning Glory Inn. Each celebration is a unique experience where so many begin their lives together. Our venue has been voted "Best Wedding" by The Knot for the past four years, and we take pride in this compliment.

Historic Venue, Park, Tented

Planning

2119 Sarah Street, Pittsburgh, PA (866) 431-1707

Reviewed on 9/30/2016 Mar S

Even though it rained during the ceremony the Wedding was wonderful and Dave the Owner and Staff did a wonderful job of making sure the venue and service was excellent .We received many compliments after ..... .Thanks again ...Sutch/Cogsdell Wedding

Reviewed on 9/26/2016

I want to thank everyone for helping make our wedding one of the best days for our new family! We had a great time celebrating at the Morning Glory Inn. I want to thank the staff for providing such a beautiful venue and all the support from Emily, Brittany and Joy! Our day... Read More wouldn't have been successful without you! And, the food was amazing! Thank you Dale Hawkins for the great spread! If anyone out there needs an intimate venue for an event, you need to check out the Morning Glory Inn and choose Dale Hawkins as your caterer!

Reviewed on 9/26/2016 Ang P

Our wedding at the Morning Glory Inn was amazing. The staff was so kind and helpful and they were very attentive to details. Included in the things that I delivered to the inn was a picture of my uncle who passed away. I was extremely close to my uncle and I wanted the picture... Read More to be a part of the ceremony. At the start of my ceremony it occurred to me that I forgot to ask them to place the photo out. I was so relieved when I walked down the aisle and realized that it was sitting on a table right near the arbor where the ceremony was taking place. Words cannot express what it meant to me to see that the photo was there. I also loved the setting of the inn. You forget that you are in the middle of Pittsburgh's lively Southside neighborhood. The food was exceptional. My guests could not stop talking about the food and the venue. Overall my wedding exceeded my expectations.

Reviewed on 1/15/2017 Michaelle C

Our experience at Morning Glory Inn for our wedding exceeded our expectations. We could not imagine holding our wedding anywhere else. The staff was outstanding, they made us feel at home the entire time. There focus was 100% on our family and friends. My guests raved about... Read More how quaint and comfortable they felt and how the evening was so personal and memorable. We would highly recommend MGI to any bride and groom looking for a enchanting wedding venue.

Reviewed on 1/06/2017 Rebecca K

The inn was so clean. I had the best breakfast Friday morning! I would love to come back!

Reviewed on 10/05/2016 Natasha B

The venue appearance was beautiful. The owner was down right rude and bossy. We were not told the owner would have full control of the wedding. The inn decided the placement of all decorations, gift tables, and guest book. The ordering and timing of events is totally dictated by... Read More him. He locked our guests outside during the cake cutting and was mad that someone needed to use the bathroom. He wanted the first dance of the couple immediately after the cake cutting. When the brides sister in law wanted to hustle the brides dress he asked if that was really nesecessary. Not like she was going to trip on it. Upon arrival and getting ready the maid of honor asked for coffee, in a room with a kruerig in it. She was told the kruerig was for morning guests. Well the bridal party including herself had rented all the rooms for the next morning. She ended up paying for coffee from a coffee shop down the street. The owner yelled at the mother of the bride to yell for his employee up a set of stairs that the mother didn't even know. The owner is in the background of most candid pictures with arms crossed glaring. He also told ppl where they could and couldn't stand in the court yard during the ceremony not knowing who was who. Close family including step father of the bride was told to stand back. I am a hairdresser / make up artist and wedding coordinator I have never seen someone being so over bearing without permission at a wedding. Guests were making comments about his rudeness all evening.

Reviewed on 9/26/2016 Jessica M

My husband and I recently attended friends of ours wedding at the Morning Glory Inn. It was absolutely stunning in appearance and the ambiance was truly amazing. The staff were extremely kind and accommodating always engaging and ready to offer assistance in any way. The food... Read More was delicious and the chef did a wonderful job with the presentation of the food. Their wedding was beautiful it felt like they got married in a secret garden. I would with out a doubt recommend this venue for a wedding or any occasion.

Reviewed on 9/22/2016

Had a wonderful time attending a friends wedding at the Morning Glory Inn. A beautiful and romantic courtyard accompanied a pleasant staff and amazing food. Would recommend over and over again!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Courtney K

The Morning Glory Inn is by far one of the most beautiful venues in the city. It's truly a hidden gem in the middle of South Side. Overall I was pleased with everything - they allow you to choose vendors from a "preferred vendor's list" and we happened to choose Jason Kendall... Read More Productions for our band and Fish Hawk Acres for our caterer. Both vendors were exceptional and super easy to work with. I didn't really have much contact with the wedding coordinator besides a few e-mails back and forth which were always friendly and responded too quickly. It's unfortunate the person you correspond with most is the owner of the Bed and Breakfast. He definitely lacks hospitality skills and made me feel like an inconvenience more than once. I had looked at many pictures of the venue online and had seen many pictures of flowers hanging on the archway. I loved the way it looked so much I decided to order flowers for the archway that we stood under during the ceremony. I spent several hundred dollars on the flowers and he ended up not allowing my florist to hang them. They ended up on a fence not visible in any pictures and not easily seen by my guest. I had many people who work in the hotel industry attend my reception and were all in disbelief in the lack of hospitality from the owner. On a separate note, Joy and the coordinator I met the day of my wedding were both really friendly and are definitely an asset to the bed and breakfast. The MGI also takes pride in how turnkey they make your event and I will totally agree with that - I dropped my stuff off the morning of my wedding and everything was beautifully displayed. They have the timeline structured so everything flows just right- you do have to follow their timeline but it works. They also packed my things up the night of my reception and had it neatly packed for me to take home the next morning. It's really nice not to have to worry about any of that. The suite we stayed in was comfortable and breakfast the next morning was fabulous.

Reviewed on 9/18/2016 Stacy C

I could not have been more pleased with the service we received from the Morning Glory Inn staff for our wedding day. Dave and his team members were always one step (or more) ahead of us to make sure everything was ready when needed. They were eager to accommodate our every need... Read More and graciously and patiently listened to our requests and exceeded our expectations. Dave was very easy to communicate and meet with throughout the entire planning process, however planning is made easy with this venue and much is done for you! Dave has positive relationships with many other vendors and we received so many compliments on both our chef and entertainment...for weeks after the wedding! It is easy to see why this venue has won awards. Its grounds and the Inn are breathtakingly gorgeous and make for a beautiful backdrop for an intimate wedding. I highly recommend the Morning Glory Inn for your special event. It is close to many hotels, although you'll forget you're in the city. You won't regret choosing the Morning Glory Inn!

Reviewed on 8/19/2016

The atmosphere was wonderful! I was a little nervous about being outside on a chilly evening, but the staff had the outdoor heaters turned on well beforehand and made sure we were all comfortable. The food was absolutely delicious, and there was a huge variety to choose from.... Read More I think my favorite was the green beans- so good!! It was a wonderful place for an intimate ceremony, and it transitioned so easily to a reception venue that was so much fun. Would definitely recommend highly!!

Reviewed on 7/24/2016

The staff are all for the bride and groom and making sure everyone is happy and treated amazing. The cutest venue with amazing cozy feel. My sisters wedding was amazing. Thank you everyone working there.

Reviewed on 7/24/2016

Great wedding venue!!.. would not have guessed this place was in the heart of the Southside

Reviewed on 5/08/2016

I was fortunate enough to have been a guest at a friend's wedding at the Morning Glory Inn. Beautiful and intimate. It made me want to get married.

Great Location

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Jamie B

We stayed at the Morning Glory Inn for two nights for our friend's wedding. We absolutely loved our room. It was clean and very cozy. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast both days was delicious! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The site made for an absolutely... Read More beautiful reception space. Even though it rained we never got wet due to the lovely system of awnings they have. They also set up a heater and several chiminea's to warm up the space and they also added some lovely warmth and charm. I'd highly recommend the Inn to someone planning to visit Pittsburgh or to anyone needing an event space.

Staying at the reception site

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Megan K

We attended a reception at the Morning Glory Inn, and stayed in the guest rooms. The outdoor patio reception was beautiful, despite a steady rain, due to heaters and retractable awnings. This place was made for wedding receptions - guests were invited to explore the whole... Read More facility, and food was available everywhere with no bottle necks and no waiting. Our room was a good size, had plenty of charm and the most comfortable bed I've ever stayed in in a hotel. Breakfast was amazing - waffles one morning and baked eggs the next. I really enjoyed my stay, and want to thank Dave, Joy, Brittany and Emily

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Kati Z

Overall we had a fantastic wedding day. The venue is charming and magical when lit up at night with the fireplaces and candles . Half of the outdoor Heaters were broke though , which made It pretty chilly as we didn't have great weather on our day. The place is beautiful... Read More though. Our planning with the owner before the wedding date was not satisfactory, and he was not very pleasant: if you make sure to seek out the wedding coordinator, Emily, you'll have a great experience . We planned to have a vintage look to our wedding and this place for the aesthetic perfectly. The pictures on their website don't do it justice by any means . Joy as your day-of coordinator was the most perfect sweet helper who was there every second for me.

cuteness on the south side

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Tina P

We were lucky to be invited by the bride and groom to stay at the Morning Glory for the entire wedding weekend. Our room featured a clawfoot bathtub and a nice view of the iconic clock. The delicious breakfasts (especially the Morning Glory Eggs!) were a relaxing way to spend... Read More with old and new friends. I would recommend the Morning Glory just for a neat weekend on Pittsburgh's South Side, since it's proximity to Carson Street makes for a walkable visit (especially to good bars and vintage shops!). The staff is super helpful.

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 Bride W

We had our wedding at MGI in June. Words can't even begin to describe how much we loved it! Thank you to Emily, Dave, and the entire staff for helping to make our day everything we dreamed of and more! Thank you also to Dale and Theresa from Fish Hawk Acres for by far the BEST... Read More wedding food ever! Not only were completely and overly impressed with everything but our guests were too! Thank you thank you! You guys hold a special place in our memories!!!

Special Memories

Reviewed on 10/23/2015

We had our wedding at MGI in June of this year. Words can't even begin to describe how much we loved it! Thank you to Emily, Dave, and the entire staff for helping to make our day everything we dreamed of and more! Thank you also to Dale and Theresa from Fish Hawk Acres for by... Read More far the BEST wedding food ever! Not only were completely and overly impressed with everything but our guests were too! Thank you thank you! You guys hold a special place in our memories!!!

Very nice place for a wedding and reception

Reviewed on 10/06/2015

This place is set up very well for a wedding and reception. It was obvious that they have done this many times successfully. My son and his bride picked out everything and it worked out beautifully. The owners did a lot to make us all comfortable during the entire time. The... Read More weather was bad but due to their setup of awnings that cover the entire courtyard we didn't even notice. great! We were all made to feel almost like family. The rooms that are at the inn are done to the period of the house. I am not a bed and breakfast type but was very comfortable at this inn. Only one small negative was the room we were in did not have a door on the bathroom. the bathroom was sort of set back in a room by itself so it wasn't too bad of a deal and could be worked around easily. totally enjoyed this venue. definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed on 10/05/2015 Chris S

My daughter was married at the Morning Glory this past weekend and I can't stop talking about what a wonderful setting this was. An absolute stunning courtyard decorated with trees and sparkling lights everywhere. You forget you are even in a city. The wedding was so intimate... Read More with the family and friends being able to go where they could experience the ceremony and not be stuck in a seat. It was chilly that night but was not a problem because they had several big outside heaters. Dave the owner was very accomadating and personable. Joy the wedding coordinator was perfect. She didn't miss a thing. And she cooked an absolute delicious breakfast for all who stayed at the inn over night. I am afraid that people are missing out on the elegant bed and breakfast. I will be spreading the word. Do not hesitate to go check this place out.

Reviewed on 9/17/2015

We had both our ceremony and reception at Morning Glory Inn on in September 2015. The venue is absolutely beautiful - very romantic. We knew we wanted our wedding to be something different than a room with big round tables and this was perfect! You have an option of 3 caterers,... Read More but go with Fish Hawk Acres – trust us! We created our own menu and everyone RAVED about the food. The all-inclusive (only option) package is great and really made things easy on us! You get the entire b & b (all 4 rooms plus a bridal suite), flowers, live music and breakfast the next morning- which was delicious! They do make you turn the music off at 10pm which stinks, but that didn’t stop our party from continuing! The sound system could be a little better too, it's essentially a large boombox. Brittany who ran the show the day of & breakfast the next day, was so helpful and nice! Dave (the owner) is a different story. He’s very set in his ways and does not like the idea of anything out the normal. I actually had guests tell me after the fact how rude he was to them at the wedding. He also argued with me on the day of wedding on a number of very small items (where to put our photo booth, corn hole, etc). All and all – Brittany more than made up for Dave’s curmudgeony attitude and everything was so perfect. I definitely recommend this venue for anyone looking for something a little different. This is an absolute GEM of a wedding venue!!

Perfect Venue!!

Reviewed on 9/08/2015

Our Wedding was more than we ever could of imagined!!! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Matt and I would like to thank you Emily, Brittany and Joy for everything !!!!!! You guys were truly amazing!! The Morning Glory was the perfect venue !!!!

Matron of Honor-Pleased!

Reviewed on 8/07/2015

The Morning Glory is a fabulous place for a wedding. The staff were wonderful and accommodating. The rooms all had their own unique characteristics. The grounds are beautiful. The only thing I would recommend is that you accommodate your female guests with flip flops or a... Read More forewarning, as the bricks could potentially be a problem for those in heels. Our mother-of-the bride made a basket with flip flops for the guests, it was a great idea and the guests appreciated it.