Scripps Seaside Forum

La Jolla, CA

Ballroom, Beach

8610 Kennel Way, La Jolla, CA (858) 534-5604

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Rebecca W

Had our wedding there this past October and it was completely stunning. Absolutely love the venue - the outside area for cocktails and to watch the sunset was really heavily used - I would really recommend making sure you have belly bars/seating outside - we did three heaters... Read More and that was perfect for what turned into a little bit of a chilly evening. The pros - location, I thought the communication was really excellent contrary to other reviews - I never waited more than 24-48 hours for any responses and I generally received most replies the same day. We did a parking attendant for one hour leading up to the ceremony to hand out parking permits which made parking MUCH easier for our guests. The venue was also able to let us lock up decorations, booze, etc the night before which made the day of SO much easier. Another advantage is you can bring your own alcohol (more on this though also in the cons) - we saved SO much money by being able to customize our bar (We did beer, wine, and a signature cocktail only) and being able to purchase from Costco, etc. I would actually say this may have paid for a good portion of the venue fee and also enabled us to have a ceremony that really was more of what we wanted and "us". The Cons - you HAVE to use the Giuseppe's bartender as they have the liquor license. They are not as responsive to communication- to process our down payment took almost a month and a half after we gave them the credit card information. That being said, two weeks before, our event manager called and everything turned out perfectly. The bartender's are very expensive since you have to use them if you want to serve alcohol. If we had known how expensive that was going to be, I think that negated a lot of the savings from BYOB. Also - HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend UCSD Catering - we got SO many compliments on their food, they are located like two blocks away and their facilities are insane (the main facility is like the size of a department store and they have a fleet of vehicles)- they do multiple events at the venue weekly, have a huge amount of wedding's that they work, and they do a lot of really high end events - medical research / university donor events, etc. They were AMAZING to work with - so responsive, really created the custom feel we wanted, their food was amazing, service was five star, and they were much much more reasonable than most of the other caterer's we priced out. Additional info - They only take Visa/Mastercard, you have to book WAY far in advance to secure a date, you have to bring all of your own "stuff" - tables, chairs, linens, etc - it's a blank canvas. This creates some additional work, but really for us created a much more custom feel that we wanted.

Reviewed on 8/24/2017 Taylor O

Scripps Seaside was absolutely beautiful and we had an amazing wedding there! Romie was great and easy to work with. I love the view and the wood building, great photos taken there and the space worked well for us at 142. We had our ceremony on lawn and then reception inside.... Read More There isn't anything included in venue though so you have to bring everything in (chairs, tables, etc) along with using list of pre approved vendors or who meet insurance. I liked being able to design and pick vendors but it does make it more expensive. Also wish we weren't stuck with their bartending service. Absolutely loved our wedding there though and glad we had it there.

Reviewed on 8/01/2017 Amanda V

We couldn't have picked a better venue to have our wedding at! It was not only one of the most affordable places to have a wedding on the water, but it was also the perfect place to have the ceremony, cocktail, and reception all in the same site. The only downfall was that you... Read More had to choose from an approved catering list (which I found all to very expensive except one) and you had to use a specific bartending service. All of our guests couldn't stop talking about how beautiful the venue was and the beautiful beach sunset was just the cherry on top! Wouldn't have traded the venue for anything!!

Reviewed on 4/26/2017 Margaret O

Scripps is absolutely gorgeous!! You can customize your wedding using vendors of your choice. All of our guests ranted and raved about how amazing the night was. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed on 8/28/2016

I love love love the actual venue, and my wedding here was perfect. But it is extremely pricey -- for the venue, for the parking (over $200 which I didn't know until after the wedding), for the extra hour, for the liability insurance I was forced to personally take out. And the... Read More people I initially worked with weren't super friendly or responsive. In the end everything worked out great, and any interactions I had with Kim the manager were also awesome. But I think the pricing needs to be reconsidered, and their service could use some work.

Reviewed on 8/02/2015 Kristin M

I don't know what to say about this venue except HAVE YOUR WEDDING HERE!!! You will not regret it. Yes, they have some strict restrictions as far as what you can have on site and when you need to be done with your event, but I can't imagine a more breathtaking venue. My husband... Read More and I got married here, and people are still raving about the location. It's such a great mix of modern, but beachy - making it such a classy and timeless venue! It photographs well, and it's nice to have an indoor/outdoor option. I don't regret booking this venue ONE BIT! Make sure you book early though - I had to wait a long (but well worth it) year and a half!

Gorgeous venue

Reviewed on 3/24/2015 Lydia B

This place is a beautiful shell to have a wedding! With views and stairs of the beach, everyone was impressed. You do get to bring in all your own vendors and just need to use an approved caterer. That does make this place more expensive than others because nothing is included.... Read More I loved being able to customize everything. This really worked out for us and I would highly recommend!

Best venue EVER!

Reviewed on 9/26/2014 Kathleen K

Everything about this venue was amazing. They were very easy to work with, they scheduled all appointments and walk throughs easily and worked well with myself and my wedding planner. I wasn't expecting it but there were security guards there who kindly asked bystanders who... Read More where not invited to the wedding to be respectful. Every person that we dealt with was very friendly and accommodating, which made the experience amazing. It is a pretty bare canvas and you have to bring in all of the vendors but the facility is exceptionally clean, new and highlights the best of southern California beauty. I will recommend this venue to everyone I know! Amazing :)

Eve and Tony 7-28-13

Reviewed on 8/19/2013 eve k

Donna Stout and Bibiana were amazingly helpful and responsive. We waited a year and a half for this venue and it was totally worth it! One look at this place and I knew I has to get married here! Everything was perfection! The one thing that would have been more convenient... Read More would be if you could use your caterer for the bar service instead of Guisseppe's. although Guisseppe's was great it was one additional thing to coordinate. I HIGHLY recommend this venue if you want a beautiful beach wedding with amazing photos and parking! It is first class all the way!

Amazing

Reviewed on 6/19/2013 Ashley S

May 31st 2013 was a beautiful day the weather was perfect. The Scripps Seaside forum is so beautiful its a place that you can have a indoor ourdoor wedding overlooking the beach without being in the sand.

Perfect Day

Reviewed on 2/23/2013 Colleen F

The Forum was perfect! People can't stop talking about how amazing our venue was. The weather was out of this world, in January, and it was great to have the outside area for people to enjoy. I'm certain this is the best venue in San Diego!

Beautiful location!

Reviewed on 10/20/2012 Jeanette D

This is a wonderful location to have your wedding or any kind of party! The view will awe your guests, especially your out of towners as they watch the sunset over the ocean. The venue itself is a beautifully simple building that can be dressed up as much as you'd like. The only... Read More downside is you have to clear out by 11pm (including clean up time) so you can only have your party til 10pm. The staff is very nice and easy to work with. Guests or you have to pay for parking at this venue.

Beautiful venue

Reviewed on 9/18/2012 Eveline S

Gorgeous venue....the only downside is that you have to rent everything. But we had our dream wedding here!

Stunning!

Reviewed on 7/30/2012 Cassie L

We had our wedding here 16 days ago and it was beautiful. The venue is so gorgeous you don't need many decorations/flowers to still have people's jaws dropping.

Beautiful venue, right by the beach

Reviewed on 6/07/2012 Alison B

Once we had decided on a San Diego wedding, my groom and I knew that we wanted to take advantage of the weather with an outdoor ceremony. Additionally, I loved the idea of a beach wedding but didn’t want to deal with sand. The Scripps Forum lawn, just a few feet above the... Read More sand, was the perfect compromise. Even though we had rented the lawn area only (which I don’t think you can even do anymore), Donna was very accommodating with rain plans and providing a room where I could get dressed. One hurdle of planning an event at any UCSD venue is the additional insurance required, but Donna was also quite helpful in figuring out how to do this. Furthermore, I appreciated the responsiveness of Donna and her team at the Forum – phone calls and e-mails were returned promptly. I also liked their consistency – Donna was the one to show us the venue on our first visit, I worked with her throughout the planning, and she was there during our rehearsal, set-up, and ceremony. The Forum was a great place to have our ceremony and the staff made sure that everything was set up to happen the way I envisioned and that everything ran smoothly on our big day.

Amazing!

Reviewed on 4/09/2012 Victoria L

This place is gorgeous and we could not have had a better location!

Amazing location for Ceremony and Reception

Reviewed on 3/15/2012 Hannah M

Watch the sunset by La Jolla pier and tie the knot. Absolutely amazing set up for a wedding. The staff is great and very helpful. We had 130 guest and everything fit very nicely. It's hard to get a day reserved at this beautiful modern place so don't wait!

Breathtakingly Beautiful, Very Poor Service

Reviewed on 3/11/2012 Judie L

I contacted them for a tour and ended up getting lost so I was late. The staff there was very short with me over the phone and just handed me over to someone else when I arrived. The gentleman that showed me the space just gave a laundry list of things that are not allowed,... Read More which did not sell me on the space at all. The view though, is gorgeous, but just thinking of having to deal with these people throughout the planning process and on the day of my wedding made me nervous as they literally do not care. I emailed and apologized for being late and asked what are the next steps in securing the venue (as it is breathtakingly beautiful), and she again just forwarded my email to someone else, without so much as a reply or acknowledgement. From my brief interactions with the staff here, they are very rude and only do the bare minimum. I've contacted other raw space event venues with staff that have gone the extra mile to make sure I have all the information I need. It really has put the service here into perspective as I do not want vendors that will only do the bare minimum for my wedding day.

Great location, bad service

Reviewed on 10/24/2011 Rachelle F

If it wasn't for the fact that this venue is right on the ocean and has such natural beauty, I would not have chosen this location. The event manager was not helpful. They are disorganized and confused on pricing and charges. They provide you with nothing for the day of, except... Read More a lot of rules and regulations. The location is amazing, but you will have to do so much work on your own to make things happen. This includes getting an additional $2 million liability insurance. I think there are many better options in wonderful San Diego to pick from.

Gorgeous "green" venue on the beach

Reviewed on 9/12/2011 Lisa M

This place was beautiful and all our guests were very impressed! My only complaint is that some things were difficult - the catering list had a link to the wrong caterer and as a result, got both me and the caterer's hopes up and wasted some precious time. Also, I was given... Read More the ok to do a few things and later found out it wasn't ok (e.g. being told I could use a licensed bartender when I could not), and getting the proper insurance for all the vendors was a bit of a pain. Other than those minor difficulties it was an awesome venue and we highly recommend it!

Wonderful

Reviewed on 5/31/2011 Adrienne J

We loved everything about the location, especially that we could book the interior area to provide a rain back-up and wind sheltered area for our bar. We did have to use outside catering adn rentals.