Is this your business? claim it now

Winfrey Point at White Rock Lake

Dallas, TX

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Park

Rentals + Equipment

8100 Doran Circle, Dallas, TX (214) 670-8740

Reviewed on 4/29/2017 Bailey C

I could not imagine a venue having a more rude, unhelpful staff than Winfrey Point. By the end of the night we were just laughing at the things they were saying to avoid crying or yelling. They expected us to be out of the venue one hour after the wedding, with everything taken... Read More down and the floors swept and mopped. I've never even heard of a venue making its customers sweep and mop the floor — you would think that the $200 an hour would include the staff mopping afterwards, and the venue being clean when the customer arrives. Also, the staff did not arrive until an hour after we were supposed to be able to get started (which we paid extra to get there early) and they still want us to pay for that hour. We didn't have time to mop the bathroom before the staff — without warn — started turning the lights off in the rooms that we were in. I'm anxious to see if they'll even give us our $500 deposit back since the bathrooms didn't get mopped, which were in awful condition when we arrived, with bloody saliva dried to the mirror, no paper towels, and urine sitting in the toilet and urinal that smelled like it had been sitting there for quite a few days. Lastly, they didn't even have the amount of chairs that we requested and confirmed with them, so several guests had to stand. If you go anywhere near that place, I genuinely hope that it's just to see the lake and park, which are both beautiful.

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Bri B

The venue itself is great for the price. The grounds are beautiful and the building is cute and doesn't need too much decor unless you are going for something super fancy. Unfortunately you definitely get what you pay for, or less really. The staff ruins all the positives of... Read More the venue. Once you pay your money you will not be able to get anyone on the phone or get them to return your calls or emails unless they find a problem with something, and then be sure they will give you a call about 30 minutes before your ceremony to let you know about the issue and inform you that you need to change your plans. Also had a friend get married here as well and at her wedding (in June) the A/C went out and was "unable to be fixed" for her entire event but no refund was ever given. So unless you are completely self sufficient and okay with having no communication or help from the staff AT ALL I would pass on this location.

Reviewed on 6/22/2015 Courtney K

Absolutely beautiful venue! My daughter's wedding and her pictures were simply gorgeous! We were very happy with the turn-out and our guests loved the setting and the view. The kids loved that there was lots of room outdoors to run and play where they were in plain view of their... Read More parents on the patio. There are lots of options for an outdoor wedding and the building is big enough for an indoor wedding as a back-up plan. Also, the stage is huge! More than enough room for a full band if you wanted one. Lots of patio space (both indoor and out) for your guests to chill during the reception and ample parking as well! I also loved the fact that they handled acquiring the alcohol permit and the police officer for my event. I was able to include the price of the permit in my rental and the police officer required payment at the venue. That made two less things for me to have to do! My reason for giving 4 stars instead of five is because I was very disappointed by the fact that, as beautiful as the setting is, the building could use some major TLC! For $190/hour (and the place is booked solid all year) you'd think they could afford to hire someone to throw a coat of fresh paint up. The changing room for the bride was also lacking! There was no A/C in that room or even a fan! Everyone in the bridal party who went in there had to have their make-up touched up from it sweating off in the changing room. Also, it advertises a full kitchen, and it does have a full kitchen, BUT... if you think you're going to be able to cook for a huge party in there, think again! There is a regular sized stove (a very old one) instead of a commercial-sized stove. I would highly suggest hiring a caterer!

Perfect for Us

Reviewed on 10/05/2014 Sommer N

I want to start by thanking everyone for their previous reviews of this venue. There are several negative reviews, and most of them make it extremely clear that you really need to manage your expectations, especially when it comes to service. At the end of the day, Winfrey Point... Read More is basically a blank canvas upon which you are able to design your perfect wedding... and it is a beautiful canvas! Why am I giving this venue a perfect score, then? There are many reasons. First off, it's an absolutely gorgeous venue overlooking White Rock Lake. There are many great places for hosting an outdoor ceremony, and the indoor area has a screened in porch with great views. Second, it is a very functional space. There is plenty of space for hosting a large wedding, but it also works as an intimate venue... just depends on how you want to build it. There is a lot of parking that is not competing with other areas. It's also only 15 minutes from downtown Dallas. Third, it's affordable... $160/hour is miles cheaper than other similar venues. Fourth, it's totally customizable. We did all our own decorations, were able to purchase all local beer and wine, bring in our own caterer... the possibilities are limitless because no one is telling you what you need to do or not do. Perfect for a Do-It-Yourself style. While the folks who manage the venue over at City of Dallas are not going to offer you much in the way of day-of service beyond opening the doors, I felt that everyone I spoke with from the City was extremely nice and helpful. This is a great venue, plain and simple, especially if you want to have an outdoor ceremony and value the highest level of flexibility and creativity. My only suggestion is that you make sure you find a good wedding coordinator (we used a day-of) to make sure you have someone responsible for making sure everything goes off without a hitch.

Perfect Venue For Me

Reviewed on 8/29/2014 Casey P

Winfrey Point was perfect for our casual, daytime wedding. We had lots of friends help set up and tear down. If you use this venue, you need plenty of time for both. You also need someone to coordinate day of activities because they do not provide anyone. Also, they apparently... Read More hover over you when you clean up at the end of the party. My friends and family weren't too fond of the guy. Very blank canvas, very affordable.

Beautiful Setting/Mediocre Service

Reviewed on 11/07/2013 Kelly R

This venue was a great value in terms of cost and beauty. Set right on White Rock Lake, this historical landmark was a good size for my 100 person wedding and included both indoor and outdoor patios along with a lake view. I would say it suffered in the service department.... Read More When I booked it, my contract indicated a certain number of tables and chairs would be provided. However, when returning an additional time, I was told some had been broken and they could not "guarantee" and particular number-this was a problem as I had already ordered linens based on the previous number. In addition, they tables and chairs that ARE provided are less that attractive which was not a huge problem for me as I rented table and chair covers. In addition, you do have to sweep AND mop and be out by the time you have it paid through in order to receive your deposit back. Note - they INSIST that you mop with bleach which was a huge problem for my friends and family doing the mopping as they were dressed in formal attire while risking bleach stains. Because it is a historical building, there are some things that are lacking like a large bridal room (many of my bridal party got ready in the bathroom)and a grooms room (they got ready in the storage room which is normally not allowed). However, they are pretty much booked solid year round due to the picturesque location. The sun set just as we were saying our vows and our pictures were so beautiful, I didn't mind the bleach mopping, old tables, and small bridal room. Overall, for a bride on a budget who is willing to bring all over her own decor and vendors, it's a great option for great pictures.

Pretty and cheap--at first

Reviewed on 10/24/2013 Mel O

This venue is a beautiful setting for the DIY bride. Its a literal blank canvas, though and you have to pay for every second you are there so use your time wisely and plan ahead. The staff is rude and lazy, but I was warned by other brides that it would be that way. It's a city... Read More owned building so there's your reason, I suppose. Additionally, there are a LOT of hidden costs. For example, if you want candles, you have to go to the fire department (good luck getting a hold of them in a timely manner), get approval by showing them your candles and holders, then pay a hefty fee. It goes on and on. So, by the time all was said and done, the great price for the venue wasn't so great. However, my husband and I had a great time and the wedding guests loved it. Rent if you must but consider other places first.

Lots of work

Reviewed on 1/03/2013 Jaci M

I chose this venue because of the fireplaces, the openeness and the view. It was beautiful!!! They offer a great price, tables and chairs. However, you have to set up the tables, you have to decorate and you have to tear down and clean. All the walls could use a coat of... Read More paint and they could be more helpful. You are not allowed to use any of the 3 fireplaces, which was one of the reasons I chose the venue :/ It is a $100 surcharge if you want actual candles as well, and the key man is RUDE and we were told he was going to be at the venue the WHOLE time and he was there for maybe an hour out of the 10 hours I rented the venue.

Good with a few minor hitches

Reviewed on 10/08/2012 Valery O

Overall, the venue was what I expected it to be. Of course it's very much a DIY venue where you have to bring in all the decorations. You set up tables and chairs yourself.....no big deal. One major issue we had was with the kitchen. We knew it was small but right before the... Read More ceremony things started going wrong with the oven and during our ceremony, one of the brakers blew so we lost our music. The groomsmen, bridesmaids and me (the bride) walked down the aisle in silence. Thankfully I'm kind of a "roll with the punches" person, but this could probably be categorized as a "wedding catastrophe." That being said, overall I would still categorize our experience as good, and I have a feeling this will get fixed before any other events happen!

Perfect venue/crappy management

Reviewed on 5/03/2012 Christina p

Winfrey Point was the perfect venue for my wedding. The view and the atmosphere of it was beautiful. It was spacious and reflected the style/feel that I wanted. I would rate it 5 stars if it weren't for the management. My reservation time was supposed to start at 11am and when... Read More we arrive the woman refused to let us in to begin setting up until after a 20 minute conversation on the phone. The grass was not mowed. They should look at their reservation book and know that someone is having an outdoor wedding and plan ahead for that. Those problems definitely stressed me out the day of- and cut 45 minutes off of my setup time. I've been trying to get that hour lost refunded for 3 weeks now. If you're completely set on Winfrey, go for it, but make sure that you cover your bases.

Perfect Place

Reviewed on 12/06/2011 Jennifer H

We had a very tight budget and were willing to do a lot of the work outselves, so Winfrey Point was the perfect place for our outdoor ceremony and reception. Affordable and the perfect location overlooking White Rock Lake.

Winfrey Point in June

Reviewed on 7/03/2011 Laura G

I love, love, love the location of this venue. We had our ceremony outside with the beautiful Dallas skyline as our backdrop. The reception hall was big enough for our guests and the stage made for a perfect First Dance to take place. The only real complaint I had was that the... Read More air conditioning did not seem to fill the reception hall at all. In fact, the only moderately cool (and that's being generous) place was the women's changing room. But I am still very glad I chose this site to be my wedding venue!

A scenic place for a reception

Reviewed on 3/22/2011 Lety G

A low cost alternative for those that want to be totally in charge. It was a lot of work but work it. Received many compliments!

Beautiful, but lots of work

Reviewed on 11/10/2010 Infamous Q

This is a beautiful location with a lot of character, and it books up EARLY, but there’s a reason you get it for so little cash. It is 100% DIY. We had originally considered the Dallas Arboretum and, in retrospect, we might have been able to do it there for the same or possibly... Read More even a little less. But we wouldn’t have had as much flexibility with décor or outside vendors. It’s something to consider. Also, you will NOT want to use their chairs, so just go ahead and forget they exist.

WINFREY POINT AT WHITE ROCK LAKE

Reviewed on 9/24/2010 Amanda W

one of dallas' best kept secrets. the dallas skyline is visible from this hill top venue. it is located in a way that it feels secluded. it also include 100 chairs and 18 tables in the rental

Perfect DIY Venue!

Reviewed on 6/28/2010 Kristin W

We had our reception at Winfrey Point, overlooking White Rock Lake, and it was amazing. We didn't want to be limited to a list of expensive or required vendors and when you use this space, you completely get to decide everything on your own. That being said, you also HAVE to... Read More decide everything on your own. They have tables and chairs but we rented additional tables and different chairs. I had a LOT of help and thanks to my amazing family, we were able to set it up exactly how I wanted.

Review for Dallas Parks and Wildlife-Winfrey Point

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Sylvia S

The recpetion site (which was also the ceremony site) had a beautiful view of a the lake ( especially if it can be times around sunset). The inside of the facility had alot of space to move and be creative. It had a home-like atmoshere..but much much more beautiful.;You have... Read More to set everything up and put everything away. The facility is yours completely to mold but be aware that no one will assigned to help you or work with you on that day.

Review for Winfrey Point at White Rock Lake

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Staci S

Sentimental it was the location of our first date.;You have to either rent or buy literally everything. I highly recommend a wedding planner if you use Winfrey Point.

Review for Dallas Parks and Wildlife-Winfrey Point

Reviewed on 9/08/2007 Kiira R

It was cheap and homey.;You have to decorate it yourself